PDA

View Full Version : Left end?

packinpatland
05-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Max Magee was a 'left end'. When and why did they stop calling the position LE?

PlantPage55
05-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I was reading "Instant Replay" from the Packer Diary of Jerry Kramer...and I was wondering the same thing!

Patler
05-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Max Magee was a 'left end'. When and why did they stop calling the position LE?

When did the quit calling them right and left ends? When they became "split ends" and "flanker backs" or just "flankers." :D

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Did they always line up on one side of the field? Not sure. That might be your answer though. It used to be LBs were left-side LBs, middle LBs, and right-side LBs. However, that was outdated. Now they are strongside, middle, and weakside.

KYPack
05-13-2007, 10:03 AM
The terminology evolves over the years.

CB's were once called "Defensive halfbacks".

Nose Tackles were called nose guards, middle guards before that.

The games changes, so the position names change.

Some positions go away.

When was the last time you heard the position "H-Back"?

pbmax
05-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I think Washington is still using the Hback with Gibbs back. And Tennessee did with Wycheck while he was still playing.

The term has become more common to refer to a player type than a position. Any FB or TE who is a better receiver than blocker (still needing to be somewhat effective as a blocker) gets referred to like this.

The terminology evolves over the years.

CB's were once called "Defensive halfbacks".

Nose Tackles were called nose guards, middle guards before that.

The games changes, so the position names change.

Some positions go away.

When was the last time you heard the position "H-Back"?

pbmax
05-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I can't find this with Google anywhere, but my guess is that when the Tight End position was first used, it was confusing to also have a left or right end. So if a receiver was covering the tight end, the term flanker or WR began to be used to describe them

That would have left no reason to call the other side left or right, so you had a split end? Just a guess.

KYPack
05-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I can't find this with Google anywhere, but my guess is that when the Tight End position was first used, it was confusing to also have a left or right end. So if a receiver was covering the tight end, the term flanker or WR began to be used to describe them

That would have left no reason to call the other side left or right, so you had a split end? Just a guess.

When teams went with 3 recievers, the terminology evolved.

The wide end on the line of scrimmage is the split end. He's split out wide.

The tight end is tight , next to the tackle on the line.

The 3rd reciever is the flanker, wide to the open side, but not on the line.

In coach talk, the split end is the "X" reciever. the tight end is "Y", and the flanker is the "Z".

The X usually plays on the weak side, with the Y and Z to the strong side.