PDA

View Full Version : 12-20 and a pissed off Brett Favre! Thanks TT.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 01:43 PM
How anyone can defend this moron is beyond me. I gave TT time, I watched him pull apart our offense and leave Brett high and dry for the past several seasons. I didn't bash him, I didn't call for his head. I gave the man a chance. But this is it! I have no more to give.

I pay the Packers thousands of dollars every year. I own stock and have been a loyal fan for over 25 years. So don't tell me I am not a good fan because I don't support my team. I support my team 100%. However, I can not support the actions of Ted Thompson. Thompson needs to understand that there is competition for FA and players available via trade. How many times have we heard of a FA coming into GB for a visit, not be offered a contract and then going to another team and signing THE VERY NEXT DAY? That is Thompson's M.O. for Christ's sake!

According to Thompson, and some of you, FA cost way too much and are not worth what they are getting from other teams. Well, let me tell you, EVERY FA IS NOT OVER-PRICED. This is what they are getting these days. You have to pay to play boys and girls. TT loves to shop at TJMax. Sometimes you have to go to Niemen Marcus (or whatever high priced store you want to name).

The second arguement that I want to debunk is "there were no good FA's out there." Really? Dante Stallworth couldn't have helped? Randy McMichael couldn't have helped? Any one of the RBs that were available couldn't have helped? If you dont like these guys, then pick out another player that was available. There were FA's out there that could have helped. The biggest player available via trade was RANDY MOSS. TT could have made this deal happen. He got cold feet and offered them a 5th round draft pick! Insteand of Randy Moss we got JAMES JONES! COME ON!

Ted Thompson's refusal to actively participate in FA is unexplainable. The Packers had, and still have, boat loads of money under the cap. Brett Favre is more then willing, as we have heard, to give up some of his salary to bring in offensive playmakers. If TT went to Favre and said "I want to trade for this player but I need you to give up a couple of million," you think Favre wouldn't do it? Of course he would! I guarantee you that TT never thought of that. That's right, because TT only knows how to build through the draft. TT is rebuilding for a future that is NEVER going to come. You can't rebuild YEAR AFTER YEAR! At some point, you need your efforts to pay off.

Think about this. At your job, can you just do 60% of your work and still be employed? Of course not. But for some reason, the brass up in GB are satisfied with TT's efforts even though he REFUSES to use FA to help out our team. He refuses to do his job. He has FAILED and our team will pay for his failure all season long.

As soon as Brett retires, the process is going to start all over again. The sad reality is, and God I hope I am wrong, we can expect to see average to below average football in GB for at least 5 years.

Before you slam me, think about what Ted Thompson has given you. A 12-20 record! Think about that, 12-20! And we STINK at home.

It is one thing to piss off Daren Sharper, but now he has alienated Brett Favre. Ted Thompson has managed to piss off Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera, Daren Sharper, Javon Walker (TT pissed him off long before Favre did) and now Brett Favre. On top of a 12-20 record, I'd say it's time to fire him!

And if your hanging your hopes on A-Rod. Think again. Watch some of the rookie QBs this year and you'll see some of them just have that IT factor. There is nothing special about A-Rod. Nothing. It will take TT a year or two to figure that out but when the new GM comes in, expect to rebuild all over again.

packers11
05-13-2007, 01:47 PM
A post in a different forum...

WR TDs
2004: 23
2005: 12
2006: 13 (8 by Driver)

TE TDs
2004: 7
2005: 6
2006: 2 (all Martin)

HEY ... If DD goes down... packers are really f**ked... I'm starting to get fed up with Teddy too... :smack:

woodbuck27
05-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm way past fed up with him.

I have always felt he has been shafting Favre.

If I am correct then he has been shafting all Green Bay Packer fans that support Favre's desire to win.

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Restocked depth, a young and emerging defense, avoidance of cap hell and saving us from a decade long losing mire after Brett Farve does leave, Thanks TT!

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Time for Damage Control from Teddy.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/05/13/1/

Responding to reports out of Mississippi over the weekend that Packers quarterback Brett Favre was frustrated, Thompson indicated that Favre and the Packers organization hold many of the same goals.

"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time - that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

Thompson wants to win now. Did you get that everyone? I did, and I think its a freakin joke. Thompson always says the right thing. Its not what he says that has people pissed off, its what he does........or more to the point in Thompsons case, its what he has not done.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Responding to reports out of Mississippi over the weekend that Packers quarterback Brett Favre was frustrated, Thompson indicated that Favre and the Packers organization hold many of the same goals.

"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time - that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

Thompson wants to win now. Did you get that everyone? I did, and I think its a freakin joke. Thompson always says the right thing. Its not what he says that has people pissed off, its what he does........or more to the point in Thompsons case, its what he has not done.

As expected, it looks to me like he took the high road.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Name the team that buit itself around a 34+ year old QB and won consistently or went to the Super Bowl.

You do that, then I will continue to debate the merits of GM versus QB decision making. Until then, you are all complaining past the graveyard.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I have one and they had to cheat the cap to do it.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Restocked depth, a young and emerging defense, avoidance of cap hell and saving us from a decade long losing mire after Brett Favre does leave, Thanks TT!

1.) We have a slightly above average D. We have two CBs that are very good but will become very average very quick because of their age. We have NO nickelback and we have ONE above average safety. We have NO strong safety, and average SLB and one true defensive end with little or no depth at DE. We have a nice crop of DTs, I'll give you that. I love Hawk and Barnett and believe Collins can be great if he gets is head out of his arse. I do like where the D is going, but our secondary needs help. TT failed to help us there in FA as well.

2.) I don't know where you get the idea that the Packers will be any good after Brett retires. We may be good, we may suck. But until we have a QB, we will suck. Aaron Rodgers is going to be an average, at best, QB. He holds onto the ball way to long and doesnt have great field vision. He gets rattled easily and starts whining right on the field. He is soft and already has one gimpy foot. Ingle Martin is a better prospect in my opinion. And that isn't saying much.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:18 PM

Actions speak louder then words. TT can talk the talk, but he surely can't walk the walk.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Name the team that buit itself around a 34+ year old QB and won consistently or went to the Super Bowl.

You do that, then I will continue to debate the merits of GM versus QB decision making. Until then, you are all complaining past the graveyard.

So if Ted Thompson signed a couple of FA's with front loaded contracts, like Woodson, the team would be worse off in the long run? Sorry, but that does compute. Signing FAs could help Brett now and the QB of the future. Sigining them to front loaded contracts ensures that we will have cap space in the future. There is no excuse of TT's lack of movement via FA. NONE!

pbmax
05-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Did you see anyone of Woodson'r caliber in this years FAs who would take a year to year contract?

So if Ted Thompson signed a couple of FA's with front loaded contracts, like Woodson, the team would be worse off in the long run? Sorry. but that does compute. Signing FAs could help Brett now and the QB of the future. Sigining them to front loaded contracts insures that we will have cap space in the future. There is no excuse of TT's lack of movement via FA. NONE!

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Did you see anyone of Woodson'r caliber in this years FAs who would take a year to year contract?

So if Ted Thompson signed a couple of FA's with front loaded contracts, like Woodson, the team would be worse off in the long run? Sorry. but that does compute. Signing FAs could help Brett now and the QB of the future. Sigining them to front loaded contracts insures that we will have cap space in the future. There is no excuse of TT's lack of movement via FA. NONE!

You are telling me that NO ONE on this list could have helped the Packers. NO ONE?

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2007

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Nice list there.. hey maybe they can sign Ahmad Carrol... he's a FOUR STAR cornerback there.

Free agency blew this year.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:31 PM
So there was NO player that TT could have traded for or signed in FA that could have helped the Packers this year? Is that what you are saying? The only player that could have helped the Packers was Frank Walker?

Just trying to get your thought process. Honestly, I am not being a smart ass. I just want to know.

CyclonePackFan
05-13-2007, 02:32 PM
You are telling me that NO ONE on this list could have helped the Packers. NO ONE?

I think the fact that Ahmad Carroll is the #28 overall FA on that list and has 4 stars is very telling. Just IMO.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Was there no one? Sure there were people who have previosuly played better than some of our starters.

But would they have played for a reasonable contract? Or would we need to Joe Johnson it?

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't care about Scout.com's ratings.

I would like someone to answer my question.

From that list, and the players available via trade, you are telling me that there was NO player that the Packers could have signed to improve our O?

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:38 PM
So Joe Johnson has scared the Packers away from signing FAs? You sign one bust and you just stop trying? Come on, that arguement is so weak. Based on your arguement, the Packers would have never signed Charles Woodson.

Maybe TTs problem is evaluating offensive players.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 02:40 PM
You can't predict injuries and no the Packers should not be scared of FAs just because of Smokin' Joe Johnson.

But almost all sign for a premium and you have to be aware of the downside or you have Sherman's roster and tight salary cap.

So Joe Johnson has scared the Packers away from signing FAs? You sign one bust and you just stop trying? Come on, that arguement is so weak. Based on your arguement, the Packers would have never signed Charles Woodson.

Maybe TTs problem is evaluating offensive players.

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Well which is it.. the players on the list (dogshit and overpriced non-dogshit) or "players available through a trade", by which I can only assume you mean any player in the whole NFL.

Yes.. I agree had TT traded all our draft picks for the next 5 years for Ladanian Tomlinson we would be better next year.

Pointless and stupid discussion

falco
05-13-2007, 02:43 PM
The point to FA this year is that players were overvalued. For TT to get someone who could have made a difference would have cost far too much.

Better to let other teams overpay now, and once all the mediocre players have overinflated contracts, TT can pick up decent players for similar prices while other teams deal with the cap.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Well which is it.. the players on the list (dogshit and overpriced non-dogshit) or "players available through a trade", by which I can only assume you mean any player in the whole NFL.

Yes.. I agree had TT traded all our draft picks for the next 5 years for Ladanian Tomlinson we would be better next year.

Pointless and stupid discussion

What do you mean which is it! That is my problem!!!! It is BOTH! TT should use every means possible to improve the team. He hasn't done either (trade or FA signings) Thanks for making my point.

As for your LT theory, you are going to extremes to prove your point. It is the only way you can show that you are correct. Which your not, but I appreciate your opinion.

The discussion may be pointless and stupid but you're involved. So aren't you labeling yourself pointless and stupid? We'll see if you truly believe what you wrote. If you resond to this post, you're pointless and stupid (you said it, not me.) But if you refuse to respond, then I guess the discussion may in fact be pointless and stupid. :D

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:47 PM
The point to FA this year is that players were overvalued. For TT to get someone who could have made a difference would have cost far too much.

Better to let other teams overpay now, and once all the mediocre players have overinflated contracts, TT can pick up decent players for similar prices while other teams deal with the cap.

Okay Falco, so name the free agency steals that Ted Thompson picked up this offseason?

falco
05-13-2007, 02:49 PM

Okay Falco, so name the free agency steals that Ted Thompson picked up this offseason?

I'm talking about in future years....hence my point that THIS YEAR PLAYERS WERE OVERVALUED.

CyclonePackFan
05-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Well then, what player on that list do you think would have been an immediate help to the offense? Eric Steinbech, the #1 offensive FA who just came off surgery? Kevin Curtis, the Rams #3 WR? Daniel Graham, a blocking TE who had 21 catches for 235 yards last year for the Pats? Gurode, who never hit FA? Michael Turner for 1st and 3rd round draft picks? Leonard Davis? Donte Stallworth?

I guess I'm just not seeing this magical savior of the offense on that list.

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Ha! As if Id have any problem whatsoever labling my time as pontless or stupid (clearly they both are)....

I made your point? Perhaps in your view...

my LT 'theory' isnt a theory at all... its just to point out that your line of questioning is flawed...

so why dont you tell us what exactly should have been done rather than disengenously asking for our input.

then I can mock you some more...

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, yeah. I've got news for you. Free agents next year will get more money then free agents this year got. The year after that, free agents will get more then free agents got the year before. Salaries aren't going to magically go down.

falco
05-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, yeah. I've got news for you. Free agents next year will get more money then free agents this year got. The year after that, free agents will get more then free agents got the year before. Salaries aren't going to magically go down.

Sure, next year they will get more money. But the cap will go up less, so there will be less new money, and TT won't have blown it this year on overpaid, mediocre players.

Just wait and see.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Ha! As if Id have any problem whatsoever labling my time as pontless or stupid (clearly they both are)....

I made your point? Perhaps in your view...

my LT 'theory' isnt a theory at all... its just to point out that your line of questioning is flawed...

so why dont you tell us what exactly should have been done rather than disengenously asking for our input.

then I can mock you some more...

You can "mock" me all you want. I could care less. My point isn't to get into a "forum fight" with you. Although I do find it amusing that you proved yourself to be pointless and stupid.

My questioning isn't flawed. It's about as straight forward as you get. Let me phrase it differently. What has TT done to improve the Packers offense?

And yes, I could go through and tell you a number of different moves that would have improved the Packers. The #1 move, seal the deal with Oakland and bring in Randy Moss. TT got out played and out smarted. Plain and simple. Either that or he was too f-ing cheap. Would one move of made the difference? Maybe not. But we had (have) enough cap space to make several moves which would have helped.

Your #3 WR is going to be Fergie, R. Martin or C. Holliday? You're happy with that?

Seriously man, we can agree to disagree. In the end, I hope you ARE RIGHT. I want the Packers and TT to be winners.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Sure, next year they will get more money. But the cap will go up less, so there will be less new money, and TT won't have blown it this year on overpaid, mediocre players.

Just wait and see.

I hope you are right. No, I pray that you are right!

Rastak
05-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Just wait and see.

So you believe getting a few guys this year would cripple the Packers cap situation next year and for years to come? It seems to me, Brandt and Thompson are clever enough to structure contracts to avoid that.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2007, 03:06 PM

We should have worked a sign and trade with Ahman Green and LT. We should have traded next years 6th to the Colts for Peyton Manning to be Brett's backup. We should bought a time machine, gone back and redrafted Steve Smith ahead of Carolina. Or something.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 03:07 PM

Just wait and see.

So you believe getting a few guys this year would cripple the Packers cap situation next year and for years to come? It seems to me, Brandt and Thompson are clever enough to structure contracts to avoid that.

Thank you Rastak. I hate agreeing with a Vikings fan you but you are dead on.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 03:08 PM

We should have worked a sign and trade with Ahman Green and LT. We should have traded next years 6th to the Colts for Peyton Manning to be Brett's backup. We should bought a time machine, gone back and redrafted Steve Smith ahead of Carolina. Or something.

I agree with everyone one of those moves. I'll see if Harlan can make them happen. :)

esoxx
05-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I agree Rastak. The Packers aren't going into cap hell by signing a few FA's that could actually help this season. Yes, typically you do overpay for FA's but you pay the going rate to help you round out your team. Having $25 million in cap room and having Frank Walker as the only FA signing seems out of whack.

But of course a lot of people were saying that TT was holding cap space b/c he was going to get Randy Moss and this was all to do about nothing.

I personally would have liked the Packers to obtain Travis Henry, wonder if he could have helped out this year.

Rastak
05-13-2007, 03:09 PM

Just wait and see.

Thank you Rastak. I hate agreeing with a Vikings fan you but you are dead on.

But I also agree the free agent class was weak. Still, today's overpay is tommorrow's bargin.

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Half way through the season, if we're playing well all of this will go away. I'm not too concerned right now. Brett's been playing the retirement game for a long time. There is no need to jump off the deep end becuase Brett's crying about not getting Randy Moss.

Boo Hoo. If he doesn't like it he should retire and quit talking about it. NO, he won't retire, he'll sit and whine about it and then play another year at 12 mil. He really should keep his mouth shut and like bulldog said, noboby wins here. Talk radio was already callying him selfish and saying he should shut his mouth. Thompson is going ot get his flack too but FAvre is really taking his legacy down a notch. He'll definitly be remembered for a lot of this whining, the INT's and the losing that he did late in his career and he's piling on.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2007, 03:10 PM
But I also agree the free agent class was weak. Still, today's overpay is tommorrow's bargin.

Unless he's your next Joe Johnson.

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 03:11 PM
well you DO care that Im mocking you or YOU wont write back. (Touche... ha not really, about as clever as write back and you are stupid... ZING!)

seriously though, its not a thread battle, or whatever its just in fun.... and if getting randy moss is the best you can come up with then youve proved everyone elses point here. FA is shit and a shitty way to build a team.

PS How do you know one of these kids will be the #3 wide reciever.. have you looked ahead in time to see how training camp unfolds? If so, please use those precog skills to win the lottery... then you can buy an NFL team of your choice and Daniel Snyder yourself to your hearts content...

and give me more chances to continue mocking you

Rastak
05-13-2007, 03:13 PM
well you DO care that Im mocking you or YOU wont write back. (Touche... ha not really, about as clever as write back and you are stupid... ZING!)

seriously though, its not a thread battle, or whatever its just in fun.... and if getting randy moss is the best you can come up with then youve proved everyone elses point here. FA is shit and a shitty way to build a team.

PS How do you know one of this kids will be the #3 wide reciever.. have you looked ahead in time to see how training camp unfolds? If so, please use those precog skills to win the lottery... then you can buy an NFL team of your choice and Daniel Snyder yourself to your hearts content...

I'm not sure 12 rookies every year is right either. I think it's a balance.

esoxx
05-13-2007, 03:14 PM
He'll definitly be remembered for a lot of this whining, the INT's and the losing that he did late in his career

The losing HE did late in his career? I thought you said the Packers were a team, not just Brett Favre? But the losing is "his" losing?

Does that mean all the winning records they've had since he arrived in '92 was "his" winning? Which is it?

You're all over the board with your rants today.

packers11
05-13-2007, 03:15 PM
JustinHarrell wrote:
He'll definitly be remembered for a lot of this whining, the INT's and the losing that he did late in his career

REALLY??? Oh yea the 1 losing season in his career... WOW thats a lot of losing in my book... Give me a break

woodbuck27
05-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Holy crap settle down Packer fans.

This will all blow over because to use TT's term.

''It is what it is.''

Brett Favre is certainly not a happy camper. He's blowing off because of all that competitive steam. Some will rail against him for speaking out. Others will lay the knock on Ted Thompson's way of being our GM and say that Favre is justified in coming out negative.

Give it a few weeks and Favre will be back all pepped up to go as always and I believe that is the case now.

He may feel he needs more time to be fully recovered fr. his surgery or for whatever reason may miss this first mini camp, but for the sake of all things being bad enough in Packer land.

Lets not ride this story into one another's gunnels. We have a long tough season ahead. :)

falco
05-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I agree that we could have picked up some players this year; I don't necessarily think any of them would have made a big difference.

If I'm TT, I'm not too worried about the present. He needs to have a team that can stand on its own without Favre. I've got to imagine he's keeping money in his pocket for that time as well.

Whether thats right or wrong, I can't say.

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I agree Rastak. Ill just take 4 a year who go on to become starters 8-)

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 03:26 PM

PS How do you know one of these kids will be the #3 wide reciever.. have you looked ahead in time to see how training camp unfolds? If so, please use those precog skills to win the lottery... then you can buy an NFL team of your choice and Daniel Snyder yourself to your hearts content...

You want another shot, you got it pal! HA HA.

Everyone else? You think I am the only one who believes that TT f'd up?

Let me make this very clear. GMs should use EVERY means possible to build a team. I agree that Snyder is a moron. I get that. But TT cant rely on the draft alone. He has to dip in FA too.

Oh, I am sorry, you're right. JAMES JONES is also in the running to become the next great #3 WR. How could I forget him? Damn!

Like I said before, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Favre lost a lot of playoff games with teams taht did everythign they could to field a winner. He had just as much of a chance as Brady or Manning. He didn't cash in, Brady did and it looks like Manning will more than once too.

packers11
05-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Favre lost a lot of playoff games with teams taht did everythign they could to field a winner. He had just as much of a chance as Brady or Manning. He didn't cash in, Brady did and it looks like Manning will more than once too.

4th and 26??? That led to his infamous interception...
The catch by T.O... Oh yea that was on Favre too wasnt it???

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Still waiting to hear who that great FA signing was supposed to be...

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Still waiting to hear who that great FA signing was supposed to be...

No one. Good team don't sign free agents.

Sincerely,
Ted Thompson

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Favre should just retire. He's obviously not happy. He had his chance, he failed. Time for the next guy. Either that or shut up and play.

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Well come on... give us SOMETHING here...

you posted that list up for all of us to show what kind of GEMS were there RIPE for the picking... just pick somebody off that stellar list and tell me...

WHO was worth signing?

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 03:38 PM
4th and 26??? That led to his infamous interception...
The catch by T.O... Oh yea that was on Favre too wasnt it???

There is alwyas an excuse for Favres playoff woe's. This is a Packers forum, I expect nothing less.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 03:38 PM
POSTED 4:21 p.m. EDT, May 13, 2007- pft.com

PACKERS SCRAMBLE TO DOUSE FLAMING FANS

At a time when wildfires have been raging in several corners of the nation, there's a conflagration that currently is consuming Packer nation.

And the front office knows it.

Why else would the team put out an "all is well" press release on Mother's Day?

"We are optimistic about the 2007 season," Thompson said in the team-issued Sunday statement. "We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within. We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."

Thompson also addressed the recent comments of quarterback Brett Favre, who expressed dissatisfaction about the team's failure to land Randy Moss.

"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

And Thompson provided a carefully-crafted non-answer to the question of whether, as Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reported earlier in the day, Favre has asked for a trade.

"We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of our organization. We try to encourage open and honest dialogue with players and their agents. But if those talks later are shared with third parties, the willingness of players to be open in future conversations may be compromised."

Possible translation: "Yes, but because Brett currently has a literal and figurative hold on the nutsack of the front office, we don't want to take any chances that he might decide to squeeze even harder than he already has."

In our view, this Mother's Day missive is a desperate act from an organization that is facing a revolt from its fan base. And we're even more convinced that either Favre or Thompson will be not with the team come September. Given that the franchise is publicly owned, we wouldn't be surprised if someone were to file a shareholder's action aimed at forcing the team to have the same kind of accountability that would exist if there was a real owner calling the shots.

For his part, Favre is trying to help put out the fire. The post on his official site regarding rumors of Favre wanting a trade, which were confirmed by board administrator "DavidPHX," has been deleted. And DavidPHX has posted the following message: "Brett has asked that we all tone down the articles and any dislikes for management. He does not want his site to fuel rumors. Ted Thompson is his boss and we need to tone everything down. I believe the situation is over with. Brett vented said what he wanted and I believe management has heard. Brett loves the Green Bay Packers and has always felt we have the best fans in the WORLD . I expect Brett to return as the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers on September 9. Go Packers!"

Still, Favre is the one who has started this mess, both by privately asking to be traded and by publicly making his displeasure known. It's a storm of unprecedented proportion for the Packers, and we don't think the situation is going to get better any time soon. The only person to benefit from this brouhaha might be receiver Keyshawn Johnson, who could end up getting a lucrative offer to join the team in light of the fact that he's the only potential impact player who is on the market right now.

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 03:42 PM
DRAMA QUEEN!!

LOL

Rastak
05-13-2007, 03:53 PM

you posted that list up for all of us to show what kind of GEMS were there RIPE for the picking... just pick somebody off that stellar list and tell me...

WHO was worth signing?

Dude, didn't you even read the list? Doesn't the one name above all jump out at you? I know it only took me 2 seconds to fugure it out.

Visanthe Shiancoe!

:wink:

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Shiancoe = Superboe

its so obvious. TT you effing moron.

Rastak
05-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Shiancoe = Superboe

its so obvious. TT you effing moron.

Actually Clements would have been good but damn he was expensive. I still think TT should grab a vet running back to compete.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 04:05 PM

WHO was worth signing?

Randy McMichael, Randy Moss (trade), Willis McGahee (trade), Donte Stallworth, Adalias Thomas, Travis Henry, Ken Hamlin, Roderick Hood, and Drew Bennett are all players that TT could have signed to improve this team. There are others, but I am not going to list every FA at every position. And I am not saying to sign all of these players. But a couple would have been nice.

We have HUGE holes at the following positions:

1. Pass catching TE
2. #3 (maybe even #2) WR - although I do like Jennings a lot.
3. FB
4. Vet. RB
5. 3rd CB
6. Strong Safety
7. DE depth
8. SLB - maybe Poppinga is the answer.

But you are right, none of those positions could have upgraded via free agency. We should just sit on the cash.

gbpackfan
05-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Now rip away. I know, all these players suck. They are either over paid or over the hill.

I'm sure your going to respond and I'll be more then happy to respond to your "mocking," but I gotta run.

I'll be happy to continue this "pointless and stupid" conversation with you later. :D

Go call your Mother and get off the computer! :D

BooHoo
05-13-2007, 04:08 PM
POSTED 4:21 p.m. EDT, May 13, 2007- pft.com

PACKERS SCRAMBLE TO DOUSE FLAMING FANS

At a time when wildfires have been raging in several corners of the nation, there's a conflagration that currently is consuming Packer nation.

And the front office knows it.

Why else would the team put out an "all is well" press release on Mother's Day?

"We are optimistic about the 2007 season," Thompson said in the team-issued Sunday statement. "We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within. We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."

Thompson also addressed the recent comments of quarterback Brett Favre, who expressed dissatisfaction about the team's failure to land Randy Moss.

"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," said Thompson. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

And Thompson provided a carefully-crafted non-answer to the question of whether, as Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reported earlier in the day, Favre has asked for a trade.

"We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of our organization. We try to encourage open and honest dialogue with players and their agents. But if those talks later are shared with third parties, the willingness of players to be open in future conversations may be compromised."

Possible translation: "Yes, but because Brett currently has a literal and figurative hold on the nutsack of the front office, we don't want to take any chances that he might decide to squeeze even harder than he already has."

In our view, this Mother's Day missive is a desperate act from an organization that is facing a revolt from its fan base. And we're even more convinced that either Favre or Thompson will be not with the team come September. Given that the franchise is publicly owned, we wouldn't be surprised if someone were to file a shareholder's action aimed at forcing the team to have the same kind of accountability that would exist if there was a real owner calling the shots.

For his part, Favre is trying to help put out the fire. The post on his official site regarding rumors of Favre wanting a trade, which were confirmed by board administrator "DavidPHX," has been deleted. And DavidPHX has posted the following message: "Brett has asked that we all tone down the articles and any dislikes for management. He does not want his site to fuel rumors. Ted Thompson is his boss and we need to tone everything down. I believe the situation is over with. Brett vented said what he wanted and I believe management has heard. Brett loves the Green Bay Packers and has always felt we have the best fans in the WORLD . I expect Brett to return as the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers on September 9. Go Packers!"

Still, Favre is the one who has started this mess, both by privately asking to be traded and by publicly making his displeasure known. It's a storm of unprecedented proportion for the Packers, and we don't think the situation is going to get better any time soon. The only person to benefit from this brouhaha might be receiver Keyshawn Johnson, who could end up getting a lucrative offer to join the team in light of the fact that he's the only potential impact player who is on the market right now.

Looks like Brett thinks TT is not looking to be a winner, just trying to be average. Brett doesn't want to be average.
I wonder if he would have retired after last year if he knew what TT was going to do in FA and what we did in the draft?

Scott Campbell
05-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Looks like Brett thinks TT is not looking to be a winner, just trying to be average.

This is pretty mind boggling. Do people really aspire to be average?

As critical as I was of Sherman, I never doubted that he was trying the best he could.

(outside of sleeping at the Combine)

BooHoo
05-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Understood. Appears though Brett isn't a happy camper. This translates into thinking TT could have done more to help the team.

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 04:14 PM
"....Looks like Brett thinks TT is not looking to be a winner, just trying to be average. Brett doesn't want to be average."

1. A GM trying 'to be average'????????
2. If Brett doesn't work harder at making better throwing decisions, he will soon be LESS than average.

BooHoo
05-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Looks like Brett thinks TT is not looking to be a winner, just trying to be average.

This is pretty mind boggling. Do people really aspire to be average?

As critical as I was of Sherman, I never doubted that he was trying the best he could.

(outside of sleeping at the Combine)

I would say the same thing about Sherman.

Packnut
05-13-2007, 04:35 PM
"....Looks like Brett thinks TT is not looking to be a winner, just trying to be average. Brett doesn't want to be average."

2. If Brett doesn't work harder at making better throwing decisions, he will soon be LESS than average.

Yeah, and after he throws the freakin ball he should catch it too. How many dropped balls last season? I guess those were his fault too? Hey, while your at it let's blame Favre for Jennings running the wrong route. Hey, it's also Brett's fault that Bubba avg'd 4.7 ypp which was LAST in the NFL for TE's. Damn that Favre for having max protection and sending out only 2 WR's.

Man, the stupidity here is just amazing..........

Packnut
05-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Favre should just retire. He's obviously not happy. He had his chance, he failed. Time for the next guy. Either that or shut up and play.

OK time for you to come clean. You really are Ted Thompson are'nt you?

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 04:46 PM
OK time for you to come clean. You really are Ted Thompson are'nt you?

LOL..Believe it or not, that is a compliment to me.

Anyway, I'm going to state what I believe but I'm not going to get frustrated with you guys. Following a team involves a high level of passion and you guys are just standing up for what you believe, just like I am. I guess we just have to see how it plays out. I know you think there is nothing left to see and that this team is awfull but I disagree with that. I think this team has come a long, long way from the 4-12 2005 and think they have done it in a way where they can keep on building.

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 04:47 PM
[quote=The Shadow]"....Looks like Brett thinks TT is not looking to be a winner, just trying to be average. Brett doesn't want to be average."

Yeah, and after he throws the freakin ball he should catch it too. How many dropped balls last season? I guess those were his fault too? Hey, while your at it let's blame Favre for Jennings running the wrong route. Hey, it's also Brett's fault that Bubba avg'd 4.7 ypp which was LAST in the NFL for TE's. Damn that Favre for having max protection and sending out only 2 WR's.

Of course.
Each & every one of Favre's seemingly boneheaded plays over the course of his career can be attributed to a mistake by someone else.
Thanks for clearing that up.

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 04:52 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that maybe, just maybe Brett Favre may have had a better quarterback rating if only Thompson had put some real talent on the field on the O-line. Cause I was just thinking that when the pocket consistantly collapses in front of a quarterback, it makes it a little harder to complete a pass. Having to run around and scramble just to keep from losing yardage and avoid sacks didnt seem to help his completion percentage either. Then I guess maybe you could look at the fact that his tight ends and everyone in the running game was being used for "max-protection" to make up for the lack of talent on the O-line, and we find that he has fewer tartgets to throw to. Of the targets he did have to throw to, Driver was the only guy that played with any consistancy at all.

Funny how some people could ignore all that and spout something like "If Brett doesn't work harder at making better throwing decisions, he will soon be LESS than average".

funny

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Is it just me

It's just you.
Go with your first instinct in this case.

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Randy McMichael, Randy Moss (trade), Willis McGahee (trade), Donte Stallworth, Adalias Thomas, Travis Henry, Ken Hamlin, Roderick Hood, and Drew Bennett are all players that TT could have signed to improve this team. There are others, but I am not going to list every FA at every position. And I am not saying to sign all of these players. But a couple would have been nice.

Now rip away.

Thank you, I will!

Randy. Mc. Michael. ok. Miami saw David Martin as an upgrade, but who knows, yeah maybe...

Your trades (not FA but Ill bite) Moss is Moss. We will see how that ends up (I truely dont have any clue).
McGahee was a malcontent who didnt want to play in a small town like Buffalo, I can pretty much guarantee he wouldnt have come to GB... he does have nice talent though. But concidering they had to pay the man all kinds of Joe Johnson's to give him a new deal, I can certainly understand why TT would like his chances of getting somebody in a RB deep draft to carry the ball at a rookie salary for 4 years.

Donte Stallworth... would he help out the Recieving depth? Yep! Is he better than DD or Jennings? Nope! Would he then be overpaid? Yep!

Ken Hamlin was a real nice player until he broke his skull, that ones too bad

I honestly dont know much about Hood (other than getting less stars than Ahmad Carrol) maybe he'll be an impact player.

Drew Bennet.. I couldnt believe he signed for 30 million Joe Johnson's with 10 million of those Joe's guaranteed...

Adalius Thomas. So so so many Joe Johnsons. He couldnt play linebacker for us BTW.

So.. I dunno. except foe the Moss thing, which I dont know how anybody really knows how that would have worked out, color me unsuede.

But you are right, none of those positions could have upgraded via free agency. We should just sit on the cash

And who said that? I personally like giving nice long extensions to the players we have that stepped up and have proven themselves as performers in GB. Id sign Nick Barnett to an extension any day over any Adalius Thomas you can throw out there.

And thanks, for calling me pal.

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 05:03 PM

Is it just me

It's just you.

My first instinct was to call you a fucking moron.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 08:28 PM

Just wait and see.

:thank:

Bottom line is there were players that could have improved this squad w/o breaking the bank. Personally I really liked Deon Grant.

Guys like the FB Griffith, S Hamlin, or TE E Johnson would have been cost effective options as well.

I don't think any of us are saying break the bank or one certain player would push this team over the top.

I DO THINK several are saying that GB should be participating in free agency and attempting to improve the team w/o breaking the bank.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 08:30 PM
I agree Rastak. The Packers aren't going into cap hell by signing a few FA's that could actually help this season. Yes, typically you do overpay for FA's but you pay the going rate to help you round out your team. Having $25 million in cap room and having Frank Walker as the only FA signing seems out of whack.

:thank: :glug:

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 08:32 PM

Unless he's your next Joe Johnson.

Or Chris Hope or Will Withespoon. God help us if we pay the right guy :roll:

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:17 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that maybe, just maybe Brett Favre may have had a better quarterback rating if only Thompson had put some real talent on the field on the O-line. Cause I was just thinking that when the pocket consistantly collapses in front of a quarterback, it makes it a little harder to complete a pass. Having to run around and scramble just to keep from losing yardage and avoid sacks didnt seem to help his completion percentage either. Then I guess maybe you could look at the fact that his tight ends and everyone in the running game was being used for "max-protection" to make up for the lack of talent on the O-line, and we find that he has fewer tartgets to throw to. Of the targets he did have to throw to, Driver was the only guy that played with any consistancy at all.

Funny how some people could ignore all that and spout something like "If Brett doesn't work harder at making better throwing decisions, he will soon be LESS than average".

funny

So now we are justifying Favre throwing a lob up into triple coverage? Favre has done that his whole career, it's just more apparent now because he doesn't have the Brooks' and Freeman's surounding him. TT drafted an OL that will be here for the future, you can't refute that. Would you of signed Rivera for multi-millions? Would you of liked to sign Hutchinson for 50+ million?

Favre is not what he used to be. Brady didn't have elite options at WR last year, but he managed. Did you see him shouting and crying to the media? I'm not a big Brady guy, but his situation was similar. Now he has those options. However, Favre throwing INTs is Favre's fault, no doubt about that.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 09:33 PM
I love how some keep contorting themselves to stick up for Brett. Some of these really are laughable, I do enjoy reading them, keep'em coming :oops:

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:35 PM
I love how some keep contorting themselves to stick up for Brett. Some of these really are laughable, I do enjoy reading them, keep'em coming :oops:

Double standards make the world go round....

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 09:40 PM

Pot. Kettle.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Bretsky, do you really believe that Griffin, Johnson or Hamlin would have had much impact on this team? Isn't that list an indictment of what was available?

I think Hamlin would be a slight and risky upgrade to Manuel and both might end up sitting behind Underwood. Why sign and pay for the same mediocrity you have? Hamlin was ahead of Manuel in Seattle but suffered another injury during his time there.

Johnson as an upgrade to Franks pass catching-wise I can see, but there is the injury factor as well.

And Griffin's just a guy. I can't believe the hullaballo about these three.

Moss at least I can see where you going to improve. Woodson over Carrol. Pickett replacing aging Jackson. The rest, yeech.

Just wait and see.

Bottom line is there were players that could have improved this squad w/o breaking the bank. Personally I really liked Deon Grant.

Guys like the FB Griffith, S Hamlin, or TE E Johnson would have been cost effective options as well.

I don't think any of us are saying break the bank or one certain player would push this team over the top.

I DO THINK several are saying that GB should be participating in free agency and attempting to improve the team w/o breaking the bank.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Brilliant Harv, buit the truth needs to be stated. Been down this road numerous times and it is funny how each time this happens, more people seem to see it my way, right or wrongly of course.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Bretsky, do you really believe that Griffin, Johnson or Hamlin would have had much impact on this team? Isn't that list an indictment of what was available?

I think Hamlin would be a slight and risky upgrade to Manuel and both might end up sitting behind Underwood. Why sign and pay for the same mediocrity you have? Hamlin was ahead of Manuel in Seattle but suffered another injury during his time there.

Johnson as an upgrade to Franks pass catching-wise I can see, but there is the injury factor as well.

Moss at least I can see where you going to improve. Woodson over Carrol. Pickett replacing aging Jackson. The rest, yeech.

Just wait and see.

I was giving examples of cost effective options. I was all about signing Deon Grant if I'd have to give a name that cost money.

If you can get by the attitude Moss is a no brainer for a 4th; but some do not like him and I can accept that.

I think you underestimate the impact Griffin could have had; he's a very good blocking FB with experience in the Zone scheme who also catches the ball well.

Underwood tore his ACL; Hamlin was cheap and is better than Manuel. I think that would have been a good signing.

And Eric Johnson is a lot better player than the contract he signed. The injury factor brings his value down.

There are risks with every free agent signing; the risk was lower on these guys.

But it remains unfathomable for me to listen to people say there was nobody out there to help us.

I can buy that is was a weak class; I can buy that some were paid too much money. BUT THERE WAS HELP.

B

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 09:51 PM

Is it just me

It's just you.

Totally brilliant.
It's nice to know razor-sharp wit is still so vibrantly alive in the mind of a fellow poster.

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I can buy that is was a weak class; I can buy that some were paid too much money. BUT THERE WAS HELP.

Yeah, there was. I think the kind of help available was pretty minimal though. Griffin would have been a good fit for the team, and I seem to remember we did make a play for him...

but we've stockpiled a lot of young players now. Some have to emerge... If a Tyrone Culver or Marviel Underwood can't step up and become comparable to a Deon Grant then the 'build through the draft plan' will have failed...

If we go out and sign some mediocre talent with little upside, we'll never know though.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I think this comes down to how close the Packers are to challenging for a deep playoff run.

Clearly, with thinning FA crops, you need to have a young base to work with so the FAs you get can fit the cap and you have the money to overpay to get the one's you want.

But with overpaying and going veteran, you do inhibit the development of youngsters and the process of weeding them out and replacing them with other prospects.

The question is, how close are we? If wist has it right, we may have two more years to break the threshold.

Just wait and see.

I was giving examples of cost effective options. I was all about signing Deon Grant if I'd have to give a name that cost money.

If you can get by the attitude Moss is a no brainer for a 4th; but some do not like him and I can accept that.

I think you underestimate the impact Griffin could have had; he's a very good blocking FB with experience in the Zone scheme who also catches the ball well.

Underwood tore his ACL; Hamlin was cheap and is better than Manuel. I think that would have been a good signing.

And Eric Johnson is a lot better player than the contract he signed. The injury factor brings his value down.

There are risks with every free agent signing; the risk was lower on these guys.

But it remains unfathomable for me to listen to people say there was nobody out there to help us.

B

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:07 PM

Yeah, there was. I think the kind of help available was pretty minimal though. Griffin would have been a good fit for the team, and I seem to remember we did make a play for him...

but we've stockpiled a lot of young players now. Some have to emerge... If a Tyrone Culver or Marviel Underwood can't step up and become comparable to a Deon Grant then the 'build through the draft plan' will have failed...

If we go out and sign some mediocre talent with little upside, we'll never know though.

Good points

When it comes down to it I'm just an impatient SOB

:lol:

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 10:08 PM

Is it just me

It's just you.

Totally brilliant.
It's nice to know razor-sharp wit is still so vibrantly alive in the mind of a fellow poster.

:oops: I get a little carried away sometimes.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:10 PM
I think this comes down to how close the Packers are to challenging for a deep playoff run.

Clearly, with thinning FA crops, you need to have a young base to work with so the FAs you get can fit the cap and you have the money to overpay to get the one's you want.

But with overpaying and going veteran, you do inhibit the development of youngsters and the process of weeding them out and replacing them with other prospects.

The question is, how close are we? If wist has it right, we may have two more years to break the threshold.

Just wait and see.

B

Actually Wist's final analysis is much worse.

He states two more years, but that assumes we have adequate QB play and then rips into AROD as somebody who has shown next to nothing in regard to having the skill to be a NFL QB.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I get a big kick out of Hamlin, nobody wanted the guy but he is so much better than what we currently have?

pbmax
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
True Bretsky, but that is wist's M.O.

If wist wrote a post saying its two more years until we have restocked and gotten special teams help AND then ARod will shine, you would suspect RetailGuy had hacked wist's password OR a pod person had taken his place.

:lol:

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Man, the quote trains are getting huge.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:15 PM
I get a big kick out of Hamlin, nobody wanted the guy but he is so much better than what we currently have?

Well, we currently have Manuel and a guy recovering from a torn ACL

BradStrand
05-13-2007, 10:20 PM

And another guy and a 3rd round draft pick from this year...

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Manuel
Rouse
Culver
Underwood

One of them is bound to be good or at least average.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Manuel
Rouse
Culver
Underwood

One of them is bound to be good or at least average.

I hope so; it's one of the if's for this coming season

Scott Campbell
05-13-2007, 10:38 PM

More drivel from our new village idiot.

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 11:09 PM

I'm just the backup idiot.........Until you retire or get traded, the village idiot position is still yours Scott.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm just the backup idiot.........Until you retire or get traded, the village idiot position is still yours Scott.

Impressive. A dressed up version of the "I know you are, but what am I" retort.

potsdam_11
05-13-2007, 11:14 PM
:oops: I get a little carried away sometimes.[/quote]

Perhaps you should get out of Boaz more often

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Muscoda.....but you were pretty close. Nice guess though. (Star of the North?)

potsdam_11
05-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Muscoda.....but you were pretty close. Nice guess though. (Star of the North?)

Meister-ville... quiet little suburb of Avoca.. :)

(Up der wit da Minne-so-tons)

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I feel like I should ask how you got Boaz from Richland Center, but I imagine it may probably be something like what a buddy of mine tried showing me with yahoo messenger. He works as a computer networking specialist of some sort, and actually does some work here in Muscoda. He showed me a trick once that allowed you to snag passwords and other stuff from anyone you talk to on Yahoo messenger. Never bothered to learn the trick, but it was neat i guess.

Oh well, just the same, nice to meet ya, maybe we can run into each other for a game some time in one of these huge towns we live in, lol.

potsdam_11
05-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I feel like I should ask how you got Boaz from Richland Center, but I imagine it may probably be something like what a buddy of mine tried showing me with yahoo messenger. He works as a computer networking specialist of some sort, and actually does some work here in Muscoda. He showed me a trick once that allowed you to snag passwords and other stuff from anyone you talk to on Yahoo messenger. Never bothered to learn the trick, but it was neat i guess.

Oh well, just the same, nice to meet ya, maybe we can run into each other for a game some time in one of these huge towns we live in, lol.

Sorry,
Nothing quite so elaborate as that. I grew up in RC, and left the area in the early 80's. I still have family there and even more family in the Muscoda area.
Boaz was easy, as is Eagle Corners, Orion, and Excelsior. Meister-ville was just a poke at Muscoda.. as was the suburb of Avoca comment..... Everyone knows Muscoda is a suburb of Blue River....
The SW corner of the state is the best part of Wisconsin... and yes.. I am very biased..
I actually threw Boaz out there to see if you really hailed from RC.. which you don't.. I figured a local would know the name.
Star of the North is the State Motto of Minnesota... my current address, not far from the state line, and according your geographic rules, I must be posting from Allouez or Oliver WI. :)

Watch the west end of the sandbars... they can be nasty...