PDA

View Full Version : What is bigger, Brett Favre or the Green Bay Packers

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Very stupid thread I will admit but some in here seem to think Favre is the Packers. Damage control is already being spun by both parties, both will be here in 07 and one will be gone by the start of the 08 season or possibly both.

red
05-13-2007, 05:40 PM
whats bigger

TT or the packers?

ND72
05-13-2007, 05:55 PM
This is NOT a stupid thread, cause it's a very serious question someone needs to ask. I've had this conversation with many friends, and the fact is, many people have made Brett Favre bigger than the Green Bay Packers. He is not, and never will be. And I'm sorry, but if it takes trading him, then so be it. He's a person, not a god. I heard one post game on WTMJ last year after Favre played HORRIBLE, and there were people calling in telling the guys on WTMJ to stop picking on Brett...BULLSHIT.

bbbffl66
05-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Turn the questu=ion around. Who's bigger- the Packers or TT's ego. He thinks he is smarter than anyone else in the league when he's really being laughed at.

ND72
05-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Turn the questu=ion around. Who's bigger- the Packers or TT's ego. He thinks he is smarter than anyone else in the league when he's really being laughed at.

he "runs" the team...he should think he's smarter than anyone else. TT should have an ego, and he should be cold hearted...Brett Favre nees to shut his mouth and be a player.

bbbffl66
05-13-2007, 06:23 PM
If at your job, your boss is doing things to make the business less successful, would you speak up or be a good soldier and follow the rest of the lemmings off the cliff? BF is merely saying out loud what many of us think. As the one who is putting his body and health on the line, I believe he has that right. Particularly when he is right!

ND72
05-13-2007, 06:29 PM
as far as i'm concerned, if my job isn't in jeopardy, and i'm still doing my job, and still making money...i shut my mouth and do my job, so I can keep a job. But in the real world, not in the NFL, it's not always as easy to find another job if you get fired for opening your mouth.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 06:39 PM
If its your boss, then his responsibility is to listen and move on. You do not get to veto his moves because you disagree.

And I am still on board that T2 is better at GM than Favre is.

ZachMN
05-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Here's the deal: When J walk complained about his deal Favrah told him he signed it and to honor it. When brett signed his deal was their special provisions and timetables associated with it?? And before one person says its not the same thing I say watch Denny Green's postgame where he says that one word twice- I love Brett and what he has done but he needed to do something like this a couple of years ago- R Moss wouldn't have made that much diff this year- we aren't going to the big dance unless these young guys suddenly play lights out- this whole thing sends the wrong message to the rest of the team-this could end up being worse in the locker room than most realize.

Rastak
05-13-2007, 06:53 PM
If its your boss, then his responsibility is to listen and move on. You do not get to veto his moves because you disagree.

I'm not talking Favre here, just me at my job..if I think my boss is making a big mistake I 100% would tell her....in private. I NEVER would publicly blast her. That would be a) stupid and unfair b) political suicide.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Rastak, political suicide? You aren't a Prosecutor in the Minneapolis US Attorney office are you?

I'm not talking Favre here, just me at my job..if I think my boss is making a big mistake I 100% would tell her....in private. I NEVER would publicly blast her. That would be a) stupid and unfair b) political suicide.

Rastak
05-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Rastak, political suicide? You aren't a Prosecutor in the Minneapolis US Attorney office are you?

LOL.....as in office politics and keeping my job!

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Ras, I agree with you. Keep all the junk inside the house.

digitaldean
05-13-2007, 07:12 PM

he "runs" the team...he should think he's smarter than anyone else. TT should have an ego, and he should be cold hearted...Brett Favre nees to shut his mouth and be a player.

Though not totally a similar situation, look at Philly. Reid sure didn't care about what the polls would say in drafting Houston's Kevin Kolb. Reid came out and said I'm going to do what's best for this team.

I understand Brett wanting to win. But to go ahead and vent to the media instead of getting it vented out with management looks kind of bush league.

I personally didn't think too highly of the picks, but we will have to see. TT will get the praise or the criticism when all is said and done on the 2007 draft/FA. If this year turns south in a hurry, it could get very ugly, very quick in Titletown.

bbbffl66
05-13-2007, 07:22 PM
So you bitch to your boss, but he doesn't listen and things continue to get worse. At what point, in an effort to save your own skin, do you go to your bosses boss? I think that is kind of what Bretts doing here. His boss is paddling for a waterfall and doesn't want to turn around.(Sorry about the lame analogies). Brett just wants someone to help paddle the boat back from the abyss.

Rastak
05-13-2007, 07:25 PM
So you bitch to your boss, but he doesn't listen and things continue to get worse. At what point, in an effort to save your own skin, do you go to your bosses boss? I think that is kind of what Bretts doing here. His boss is paddling for a waterfall and doesn't want to turn around.(Sorry about the lame analogies). Brett just wants someone to help paddle the boat back from the abyss.

Umm, that would be Harlen and Jones, not the press at a golf tourney.....

RashanGary
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM

Brett doesn't know that it is an abyss and neither do you for that matter. This has to play out before real judgment can be had. Thompson clearly has less leeway than he did before Favre went public but he does have at least one year to show what he's done.

This is a VERY important year for Thompson. These young guys have to step up and play big or he's going to have a hard time keeping his job.

Collins, Rodgers, Poppinga, Underwood, Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, Spitz, Moll, Hodge, Blackmon, Harrell, Jackson, Jones, et al had better step up. Not all of them have to be starters but most of these guys should step up and replace Sharper, Wahle, Rivera, Walker, Green, Wayne, Diggs, Hunt, and company who were lost.

Nobody knows how good or bad these guys are. As much as we want to run him out of town because Diva Favre doesn't like the off season, the reality of the matter is that it will take some time for any real decisions to be made about Ted Thompson. His guys aren't proven losers yet. When we realize these guys suck then it's time to run TT out.

motife
05-13-2007, 08:15 PM
evidently Brett Favre's bigger. One word from him and the whole world turns upside down.

maybe, Brett's the guy pointing out, "the emperor has no clothes".

the wide receiver corps needs to step or this will not be a pretty season.

the Tight ends leave us without a weapon.

the offensive line should be better. the question is are Morency and Jackson?

Is Aaron Rodgers "sponge worthy"? Is he better than David Carr, who could have been obtained for nothing?

PackerBlues
05-13-2007, 08:28 PM
What are you talkign about? bulldog said Favre threw his team and GM under the bus. He said the guys he has arn't very good and they did nothing to help the offense. That kind of shit doesn't exactly build confidence in a group of young guys. That said, it's too bad diva athletes get away wtih this but it's part of the game.

The great leaders keep their mouths shut though.

You Trolls want to point out the article that you are quoting when you say this BS? You keep saying that Favre said these things about "the guys he has". Please enlighten us all with where you are getting this complete and utter crap. Seems to me that you dumbshits keep reading into things, then you post whatever the hell you want while claiming that Favre said these things.

I was actually pretty damned sure that nobody could come off as being more of an idiot than bulldog, but for you 'Justin Harrell' to call Brett Favre a "diva"............Congrats, it was close, but you win, you have managed to come off as a bigger idiot than bulldog. No small task, but you pulled it off.

BearsFan4Life? Is that you?

Trolls!!!!!!

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:02 PM
At this point, it's obvious to me that Brett Favre thinks he is bigger then the team, above everybody else. If he didn't think that, why would he come out and make these comments. He thinks that, since he is so revered, he can say whatever he wants and start a media circus.

There are 52 other players on the Packers, come season, and Favre is no more justified in saying this then any other player. What Favre said was foolish and is already causing trouble.

This is not what you look for from a team leader.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 09:20 PM
I don't think that last analogy fits, speaking to the abyss part. Favre is complaining about win now versus rebuild for later. Not a decline into an abyss.

Even some of his heaviest detractors give T2 credit for restocking the roster with younger more talented players overall. I think the skill level on the team is improving and is definitely younger than Sherman's last team.

The debate isn't that Thompson is driving off a cliff, its that he is driving too slow.

If that is my complaint, to take this back to the original analogy, then my only question: is this the direction the company wants to move in?

Given that Harlan aired the fans displeasure about acquiring Moss, I say Harlan is on board the go slow approach. So since my boss is doing what HIS boss wants in terms of direction, my only logical choice: do I want to stay on board during that process?

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't think that last analogy fits, speaking to the abyss part. Favre is complaining about win now versus rebuild for later. Not a decline into an abyss.

Even some of his heaviest detractors give T2 credit for restocking the roster with younger more talented players overall. I think the skill level on the team is improving and is definitely younger than Sherman's last team.

The debate isn't that Thompson is driving off a cliff, its that he is driving too slow.

If that is my complaint, to take this back to the original analogy, then my only question: is this the direction the company wants to move in?

Given that Harlan aired the fans displeasure about acquiring Moss, I say Harlan is on board the go slow approach. So since my boss is doing what HIS boss wants in terms of direction, my only logical choice: do I want to stay on board during that process?

I think those comments are accurate

Ted Thompson is doing a decent job restacking this team with talent for the long term

Ted Thompson moves at his own pace and on his own terms. Ted Thompson is the Turtle.

If TT's terms are not met, then he moves on (that is why I never expected Green Bay to land Moss).

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
TT will stick to his plan. In an analogy sense, TT is driving his car to the playoffs and he isn't stopping at a fancy restaurant along the way. Sure, he'll stop at Denny's, Applebee's, maybe TGI Fridays every once in a while, but he isn't stopping at any 5-star steakhouses.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Packerblues, when you start growing up and can debate without name calling, we can have a discussion, until than, keep putting some down and never bringing up any points of interest.

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
At this point, it's obvious to me that Brett Favre thinks he is bigger then the team, above everybody else. If he didn't think that, why would he come out and make these comments? He thinks that, since he is so revered, he can say whatever he wants and start a media circus.

There are 52 other players on the Packers, come season, and Favre is no more justified in saying this then any other player. What Favre said was foolish and is already causing trouble.

This is not what you look for from a team leader.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 09:34 PM
It's also obvious that some in here do also. B, I'm not including you in this.

motife
05-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Favre's big mouth showing up Javon Walker in the national media was the main reason Walker turned so completely against the team.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Favre's big mouth showing up Javon Walker in the national media was the main reason Walker turned so completely against the team.

Not really. It was the fact that Thompson wouldn't redo his deal. I agreed with Thompson at the time. It was all about money.

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:36 PM

Ironically, Favre is following in the footsteps of Walker right now.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 09:39 PM

How? Did I miss something?

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:43 PM

How? Did I miss something?

Favre isn't demanding a new contract, like J-Walk was. However, Favre is publicly undermining the team and bring trouble upon the organization. That is no different than what J-Walk did. Walker had an objective, which was to be traded. What's Favre's objective?

PackerBlues
Packerblues, when you start growing up and can debate without name calling, we can have a discussion, until than, keep putting some down and never bringing up any points of interest.

What are the youngsters now to think when their leader is basicly saying he has nothing on offense

Again, I am raising the BS flag. You made this up, its not something that Favre said. There is no point debating with someone who ignores facts and makes up complete nonsense to prove their point.

b bulldog
Actually Walker stated to some that he never wanted to play with Brett again after throwing him under the bus. I agree with Motife but TT also didn't sign him so they were both a bit at fault. I could see why both did and said what they said but many players around the league slammed Brett for those comments.

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Actually Walker stated to some that he never wanted to play with Brett again after throwing him under the bus. I agree with Motife but TT also didn't sign him so they were both a bit at fault. I could see why both did and said what they said but many players around the league slammed Brett for those comments.

Wonder how Favre would feel to be thrown under the bus? Maybe Ingle Martin should slam this guy in public. That'd send shockwaves throughout the NFL.... :wink:

packers11
05-13-2007, 09:45 PM

Walker actually said he would love to play with Brett again, but under a different organization... This was stated in one of his last interviews about the subject (when he was already on the broncos)...

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 09:46 PM
This is NOT a stupid thread, cause it's a very serious question someone needs to ask. I've had this conversation with many friends, and the fact is, many people have made Brett Favre bigger than the Green Bay Packers. He is not, and never will be. And I'm sorry, but if it takes trading him, then so be it. He's a person, not a god. I heard one post game on WTMJ last year after Favre played HORRIBLE, and there were people calling in telling the guys on WTMJ to stop picking on Brett...BULLSHIT.

I agree - completely.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I am with Harvey on the Walker/Favre comparison. While initially I was shocked to read Glazer's article, it doesn't rise to the level of McKenzie or Walker yet.

We don't know who talked or if anyone is holding this over the organization's head. But I am pretty sure you will be able to feel the chill should Favre and Thompson pass within fifteen feet of each other.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Big deal. Favre wanted Moss. Favre lobbied for weeks to get Moss. Favre thought Thompson was serious about getting Moss. Thompson doesn't get Moss. Favre is upset. He may or may not tell the team privately that he wants to be traded. (Actually, I seriously doubt he did. I bet it was more like "if you don't want to win now, then you might as well trade me" type thing.) Favre is honest to the media about it. He shouldn't have done it, but he's always been honest. Too honest oftentimes.

Favre isn't saying all the much different than a Kevin Garnett has said in the last year. Or a Karl Malone said at the tailend of his career. Just old warriors that think they are running out of chances... being overly honest.

In two weeks, Favre will brag about his great receiving corps.

Mountain... molehill.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
He also stated that Brett burned him and he could never forgive him for that.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Nah... he said last year that he didn't have anything against Brett, and he'd be fine playing with him again. He disliked Ted Thompson.

pbmax
05-13-2007, 09:52 PM
from Brett Favre on Saturday:
http://www.sunherald.com/228/story/52533.html

"Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?

This looks like he has confidence in his offense to you?

What are the youngsters now to think when their leader is basicly saying he has nothing on offense

Again, I am raising the BS flag. You made this up, its not something that Favre said. There is no point debating with someone who ignores facts and makes up complete nonsense to prove their point.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
PFT.com was the source and he stated it before he was traded. Thwe lockerrrom knew he didn't have much love for Brett!

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 09:54 PM
I,I,I, Brett should know how many I's are in team

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Nah... he said last year that he didn't have anything against Brett, and he'd be fine playing with him again. He disliked Ted Thompson.

I was surprised that he said that, but it was nice to see.
I bet TT might play that situation differently in retrospect.

ahaha

You make a good point. When did Brett say the offense is terrible? After seeing the interview, my impression was that he thinks the offense could have used a weapon like Moss to really make it special. Does that mean he thinks the guys we have are complete s@#t? I don't think so.

PackerBlues

Are you suggesting that Walker had every right to demand to have his contract torn up and redone with two years left on it? He was a rookie. Thompson was not going to redo his contract, and its just that simple. Walker knew this and lashed out with anything he could come up with to get out of GB so he could chase the money.
Think about all the players in the league that had rookie contracts of 4 or more years. What kind of a message would it send to all of the guys that honored their rookie contracts if GB had given in to Walkers demands. You can blame Favre all you want, but the fact of the matter is........Walker was going to use any excuse he could think of to get out of that contract. Personally, I think Ted should have benched the punk for the final two years of his contract. No, it wouldnt have done the team any good, but it would have sent a message to anyone else that tried the same bs that Walker got away with. (and no, I am not putting the blame on Thompson, it was a screwed up situation and the only person I blame for it is Walker and his greed.)

pbmax
05-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Read five posts above for the quote.

You make a good point. When did Brett say the offense is terrible? After seeing the interview, my impression was that he thinks the offense could have used a weapon like Moss to really make it special. Does that mean he thinks the guys we have are complete s@#t? I don't think so.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 09:56 PM
PFT.com was the source and he stated it before he was traded. Thwe lockerrrom knew he didn't have much love for Brett!

I think there were a few sources indicating Walker felt wronged by Favre; I read every imaginable Packer article and I never heard anything at all about the locker room stuff. I think the bad vibes came from the comments.

But IMO last year's remarks by Javon Walker were more telling. He has issues with the Snapper

pbmax
05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Not sure here Harvey. Garnett has been saying he shouldn't have to leave, the team should do better to make the team better with him. Might have been Favre's message, but multiple sources gave Glazer a different impression.

And Malone was on a championship drive, took off for the Lakers after it was clear the Jazz were rebuilding.

And while Favre is honest, he also has an agenda. I think its clear that the retirement talk wasn't just honesty, it was also a way to put indirect (eventually direct) pressure on the team's front office.

Big deal. Favre wanted Moss. Favre lobbied for weeks to get Moss. Favre thought Thompson was serious about getting Moss. Thompson doesn't get Moss. Favre is upset. He may or may not tell the team privately that he wants to be traded. (Actually, I seriously doubt he did. I bet it was more like "if you don't want to win now, then you might as well trade me" type thing.) Favre is honest to the media about it. He shouldn't have done it, but he's always been honest. Too honest oftentimes.

Favre isn't saying all the much different than a Kevin Garnett has said in the last year. Or a Karl Malone said at the tailend of his career. Just old warriors that think they are running out of chances... being overly honest.

In two weeks, Favre will brag about his great receiving corps.

Mountain... molehill.

packers11
05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Only if that piece of shit didnt go down with an ACL injury... WE WOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT RANDY MOSS... WE WOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT TRADING BRETT... WE WOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT ANOTHER "PLAYING MAKING" WIDE RECIEVER!

How 1 injury can affect a lot of other things...

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
You may be correct but there were sources to the contrary also. Driver even stated Walker and Brett will need to get over it or that they don't need to be buds but they just need to do well on the field together.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Not sure here Harvey. Garnett has been saying he shouldn't have to leave, the team should do better to make the team better with him. Might have been Favre's message, but multiple sources gave Glazer a different impression.

Garnett basically said the GM should be canned. Isn't that throwing the organization under the bus? Who can blame him though! He's also made other statements about his dissatisfaction with the organization. He also made it known he was very pissed when Cassell and Sprewell weren't retained. He never requested a trade, but I doubt Favre seriously requested a trade either. I don't blame either guy. Look, from Favre's perspective, it has to look like Thompson wants him gone. I'm betting he's quite pissed. He loves Green Bay, and wanted to ride off into the sunset--like John Elway. Right or wrong, Thompson is rebuilding the team through the draft--which takes years. Years that Favre doesn't have. This will blow over. Just like last year when Brett was pissed that Thompson didn't sign any offensive FAs.

ahaha
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Read five posts above for the quote.

from Brett Favre on Saturday:
http://www.sunherald.com/228/story/52533.html

"Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?

This looks like he has confidence in his offense to you?

Maybe not, but it doesn't mean he thinks they're all terrible. If his teamates think they're being "thrown under the bus" and it causes a big rift, then they're a bunch of whiney idiots. More than likely, most of them felt the same way about adding a guy like Moss and how he could have made them better, except maybe the back-up receivers. But, who cares if they're feelings got hurt.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2007, 10:14 PM
A source close to Favre told the Press-Gazette on Sunday that Favre might have talked about wanting a trade shortly after the draft but has given no such indication recently. Favre finally spoke with coach Mike McCarthy in the last week or so, the first time the two had talked since the draft.

“He wouldn’t be doing these offseason workouts and all that (if he wanted a trade),” the source said. “He’s been busting his (butt). I don’t see him not playing for (the Packers). It wouldn’t surprise me if he told (Cook) or somebody that (he wanted a trade) - he was mad - but he wouldn’t be busting his (butt) like this.”

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
A source close to Favre told the Press-Gazette on Sunday that Favre might have talked about wanting a trade shortly after the draft but has given no such indication recently. Favre finally spoke with coach Mike McCarthy in the last week or so, the first time the two had talked since the draft.

“He wouldn’t be doing these offseason workouts and all that (if he wanted a trade),” the source said. “He’s been busting his (butt). I don’t see him not playing for (the Packers). It wouldn’t surprise me if he told (Cook) or somebody that (he wanted a trade) - he was mad - but he wouldn’t be busting his (butt) like this.”

Well Favre is playing in the NFL in 2007, he's not gonna sit on his ass and which NASCAR all day.