PDA

View Full Version : So here's a thought...

ND72
05-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Trade Brett Favre. Come on, you all think Ted Thompson is making us suck anyway, so why not trade Favre? I mean, why would we wanna hold back finding out if Aaron Rodgers is good or bad? we have a tough schedule as it is, so even with Favre we're only going to win 6 games probably, so why keep Favre? Do we really gain anything? We keep "OUR GOD" in Favre for another year, and then next year, have to start all over with a new QB anyway...but I'm sure you'll all find a way to blame Thompson for that as well. So why not Trade Brett Favre?

ZachMN
05-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Dude I am so glad someone else sees whats happening here- TT did the best thing under the circumstances-I want to see Brett break the records with us- after that he can go somewhere else and throw picks and say " I am what I am and that's all that I am" and we can get on with building a defense first team which will always help out marginal QB's which is what most of the league has to work with most of the time anyway. Sherman tried and failed-he built a kick ass running team then chickened out when it mattered most(4th and One) then Brett threw up a brick that set up the field goal and we were out of the playoffs again- I said it before but since those six picks( I mean who did't see Aneus Williams standing there??I still can't believe he threw the damn ball!! Williams was shocked the ball came straight to him!!!) Sherman paniced and eventually lost his job. He was put into an impossible position. I liked Shermy but shit happens. TT is going to build a strong Defensive foundation. Deal with it. It was over when M Vick ran all over our asses in playoffs.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 07:11 PM
I said this last offseaon, I thought the Saints or the Cowboys would have been a good fit. That being said, I do hope Brett retires a Packer and I hope it is soon or after next season.

b bulldog
05-13-2007, 07:15 PM
One more thing to all the Moss bashers from the past, what do you think now that he is still kicking our ass! First he humiliates us on Monday night in the rain his rookie season, second, he moons the crowd in Lambeau and now he picks the Pats over the Packers and gives the whole organization and Brettt Favre the finger as he signs with the Pats. Didn't he say that he wanted to be a Pat as soon as he was going to be shippped somewhere?

Brando19
05-13-2007, 07:52 PM
From Packersnews.com:

Within a few days after the draft, Brett Favre apparently asked the Green Bay Packers to trade him, but indications suggest he’s now not pushing for a deal to another club.

Favre was and remains upset the team didn’t acquire receiver Randy Moss in a trade he lobbied General Manager Ted Thompson and Moss to complete. The quarterback publicly expressed his frustration on Saturday to reporters covering his annual charity golf outing in Mississippi.

On Sunday, the Fox Sports Web site cited anonymous sources saying Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, called the team a couple of days after last month’s draft and asked the Packers to trade his client.

Favre never said or suggested to reporters Saturday he wants to be traded. But he said that the failure to acquire Moss from Oakland - the Raiders dealt him to New England instead - is evidence Thompson is rebuilding for a couple of years down the road. The 37-year-old Favre is down to his perhaps his last year or two in the NFL and wants a better chance to win now.

A source close to Favre told the Press-Gazette on Sunday that Favre might have talked about wanting a trade shortly after the draft but has given no such indication recently. Favre finally spoke with coach Mike McCarthy in the last week or so, the first time the two had talked since the draft.

“He wouldn’t be doing these offseason workouts and all that (if he wanted a trade),” the source said. “He’s been busting his (butt). I don’t see him not playing for (the Packers). It wouldn’t surprise me if he told (Cook) or somebody that (he wanted a trade) - he was mad - but he wouldn’t be busting his (butt) like this.”

It remains unclear whether Favre will attend the Packers’ mandatory minicamp this weekend. Favre will not take part in the practices because he’s recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle, and the source said Favre would prefer to remain in Mississippi working out rather than attend the camp. But at his golf outing, Favre left open the door to attending the camp.

Favre is close to being fully recovered from February’s surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle. He’s been rehabilitating and also performing the core-strength oriented workout program with the same personal trainer he hired two years ago for the most rigorous offseason training of his career.

Favre appears especially upset about the failed Moss trade because he thought a deal could have been completed easily. It’s not entirely clear why the trade fell through on draft weekend, but a major factor appears to be that Thompson insisted Moss take part of his $3 million salary in substantial weekly roster bonuses that would be paid only if he played each week.

Moss would have taken the $3 million salary but rejected the roster-bonus contingency. Favre on Saturday said he offered to give up an equal amount of his $11 million salary to cover the cost of Moss’ roster bonuses, which is believed to be in the range of $800,000 to $1 million.

However, salary-cap room is not an issue for the Packers, because they are about $15 million under the $109 million cap.

Thompson responded to Favre’s statements over the weekend with a written press release Sunday.

“I think it’s natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time - that’s simply human nature,” Thompson said. “Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now.”
Thompson said in the release he won’t comment on whether Favre or Cook asked for a trade.

“We never comment on the talks we have with our players or with their agents, in line with the long-standing policy of organization,” Thompson said.

Thompson also defended his method of rebuilding the Packers, and said they’ll be better this year even without trading for Moss or signing any skill-position players for the offense in free agency.

“We feel like we’ve had a great offseason program,” Thompson said. “Our guys are getting bigger and stronger, and we’ll improve from within. We’re also excited about the players we’ve added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team.”

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Trade Favre?!?! What the fuck is going on in this forum. How come all of a sudden I am seeing all these Favre bashers?

If TT even thinks about trading Favre he should be fire right away. If he ever put him on a trade block he better not go outside for his life might be in danger.

oregonpackfan
05-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Trade Favre now? This sentiment is pure, unadulterated crap! :x

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Trade Brett Favre. Come on, you all think Ted Thompson is making us suck anyway, so why not trade Favre? I mean, why would we wanna hold back finding out if Aaron Rodgers is good or bad? we have a tough schedule as it is, so even with Favre we're only going to win 6 games probably, so why keep Favre? Do we really gain anything? We keep "OUR GOD" in Favre for another year, and then next year, have to start all over with a new QB anyway...but I'm sure you'll all find a way to blame Thompson for that as well. So why not Trade Brett Favre?

Last year I stated it was in Brett Favre's best interests as a player who wants to play for a contender to get traded. Nothing that has happened over the past year has changed that view.

BallHawk
05-13-2007, 09:08 PM
If this is any other player, other then Favre, would some be shouting "TT sucks" and this and that? I believe not. I can understand the loyalty to Favre, but this is ridiculous. Some are putting Favre ahead of the team. He is no bigger than any other player on the Packers. Realistically, this team is not a Super Bowl team this year, and unless we see a lot this year, they won't be one next year. If you're going to go for the future, especially with what has happened, why put it off. If Favre thinks he is above the team, why not make it that way? Hell, if Favre isn't happy, the team must be in peril, right?

Would I trade Favre? I'd see the offers. I'd take a first for him, maybe a 2nd. This has gotten larger than the TT rebuilding now, this has gotten to Favre publicly undermining the Packers. If a player does that, I don't see how you can have a happy ending.

Favre, whether he realizes it or not, has started the gears turning. Is this a strategic ploy by him to get out? Who knows.

Favre, in my mind, is no different to what J-Walk or McKenzie did.

packinpatland
05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
If this is any other player, other then Favre, would some be shouting "TT sucks" and this and that? I believe not. I can understand the loyalty to Favre, but this is ridiculous. Some are putting Favre ahead of the team. He is no bigger than any other player on the Packers. Realistically, this team is not a Super Bowl team this year, and unless we see a lot this year, they won't be one next year. If you're going to go for the future, especially with what has happened, why put it off. If Favre thinks he is above the team, why not make it that way? Hell, if Favre isn't happy, the team must be in peril, right?

Would I trade Favre? I'd see the offers. I'd take a first for him, maybe a 2nd. This has gotten larger than the TT rebuilding now, this has gotten to Favre publicly undermining the Packers. If a player does that, I don't see how you can have a happy ending.

Favre, whether he realizes it or not, has started the gears turning. Is this a strategic ploy by him to get out? Who knows.

Hold the phone there a minute, those guys held out, weren't going to play, Favre isn't doing any of that. Big difference.

Packnut
05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Trade Favre?!?! What the fuck is going on in this forum. How come all of a sudden I am seeing all these Favre bashers?

If TT even thinks about trading Favre he should be fire right away. If he ever put him on a trade block he better not go outside for his life might be in danger.

You should know by now, there are a few very football ignorant people here. They live on words like "potential" and "may-be" and try to make everyone believe all is well because they believe it themselves. They are in the minority but due to the amount of post's they make, it seem's like there are more of them then there really are.

The Shadow
05-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Well, this is interesting.
#1 - how many teams would really have much interest in a very expensive qb on the decided downside of his career, who has at the same time begun exhibiting the distraction-causing behavior of a prima donna?
#2 - if the Packers came to the conclusion that the negativity of Brett's 'me-before-the-team' attitude now outweighed his value to the Packers, and dealt or released him, it would be very fascinating to see how he would scramble to reach the records he so covets.
#3 ; and : what, exactly, would his value be in a trade? Third rounder?

Brohm
05-13-2007, 10:53 PM
"If" Brett really wanted to be traded, and pushed it, I wouldn't be surprised if a team like San Diego went after him. Definatley would put put them over the top with LT and that defense.

Edit: Not that I know what the cap situation is of wht not. Just throwing out there a SB contenting team that is dominant in the regular season but has to up against Indy and NE in the playoffs and could use a good vet QB to put them over.

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 10:58 PM

My view of TT has not changed at all; I was not overly fond of him pre-Moss or post Moss.

But I'm willing to give him more time.......just not much more

Bretsky
05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
"If" Brett really wanted to be traded, and pushed it, I wouldn't be surprised if a team like San Diego went after him. Definatley would put put them over the top. Just throwing out there a SB contenting team that is dominant in the regular season but has to up against Indy and NE in the playoffs and could use a good vet QB to put them over.

Bears could use a vet QB; scratch that thought

What a nightmare that would be; Favre retired after winning a SB as a member of the Bears

BEARMAN
05-13-2007, 11:22 PM
"If" Brett really wanted to be traded, and pushed it, I wouldn't be surprised if a team like San Diego went after him. Definatley would put put them over the top. Just throwing out there a SB contenting team that is dominant in the regular season but has to up against Indy and NE in the playoffs and could use a good vet QB to put them over.

Bears could use a vet QB; scratch that thought

What a nightmare that would be; Favre retired after winning a SB as a member of the Bears

Do NOT count this out, this could very well happen ! You packers worst nightmare ! Farve becomes a Chicago BEAR and wins a SB ! LMFAO ! :twisted:

cpk1994
05-14-2007, 02:02 AM

TT would be fired if he traded Brett. Harlan and the Board of Directors would hang him for that.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-14-2007, 06:25 AM

You should know by now, there are a few very football ignorant people here. They live on words like "potential" and "may-be" and try to make everyone believe all is well because they believe it themselves. They are in the minority but due to the amount of post's they make, it seem's like there are more of them then there really are.

Yes, there has to be a line. People now are going crazy for rookies and are even willing to lose their HOF QB for them. I have never been one to bash TT but, I am also one who likes to point out when he's at fault and after reading Favre's comments I think he was. I could see why Brett got upset. If Favre was basically willing to pay Moses salary and TT already offered a 5th for him, why not just give a 4th instead and the deal is done? I don't even want to hear that TT made the right decision because his decision would actually have been to get Moss if the pats weren't involved, he just got to cheap with draft picks for no reason. THAT MEANS THAT ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO DEFEND EVERY MOVE BY TT ARE FORGETTING THAT HE DID ACTUALLY WANT MOSS HE WAS JUST WAS TO CHEAP TO MOVE FROM THE 4TH TO THE 5TH LOL. That would piss me off to if I was Brett. Plus none of us know any better than Favre does when it comes to the state of the packers and if he thinks Moss (FOR ONLY ONE YEAR BY THE WAY) would of gave us a chance for the super bowl then I believe him. Plus even if he doesn't take us to the super bowl, at the very least were a 10-6 team and a playoff breth. I don't want to just let years go by saying were rebuilding, maybe in 3 more years.

And I bet the same people using Favre speaking out against Walker and McKenzie against him and tying it to this situation are the same people who were agreeing with him at that time. Now because he's 37 they forget the last 16 years and think that the guy is worthless. :x

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Yes, there has to be a line. People now are going crazy for rookies and are even willing to lose their HOF QB for them. I have never been one to bash TT but, I am also one who likes to point out when he's at fault and after reading Favre's comments I think he was. I could see why Brett got upset. If Favre was basically willing to pay Moses salary and TT already offered a 5th for him, why not just give a 4th instead and the deal is done? I don't even want to hear that TT made the right decision because his decision would actually have been to get Moss if the pats weren't involved, he just got to cheap with draft picks for no reason. THAT MEANS THAT ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO DEFEND EVERY MOVE BY TT ARE FORGETTING THAT HE DID ACTUALLY WANT MOSS HE WAS JUST WAS TO CHEAP TO MOVE FROM THE 4TH TO THE 5TH LOL.
. :x

:thank: :thank: :thank: :thank: :thank: :thank: :thank: :thank: :thank: :thank:

pbmax
05-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Why have two different teams given up on Moss, because he is a game changing talent who delivers whenever asked? Why do you want this guy? Forget about whether he is a bigger distraction that Owens, why have teams tried to give him away?

And secondly, about that fourth round pick:

Silverstein:
New England topped Green Bay's offer with a fourth-round pick. The Packers, sources said, weren't given the chance to increase their offer to the Raiders or Moss, although it's questionable whether general manager Ted Thompson would have done either. They were also offering a two-year contract, which wasn't ideal to Moss.

Favre: It wasn't the draft pick, it was the guaranteed money.

I think everyone needs to take off the rose colored glasses and cotton to the fact that Moss didn't want to come to Green Bay and he played Favre.

I have never been one to bash TT but, I am also one who likes to point out when he's at fault and after reading Favre's comments I think he was. I could see why Brett got upset. If Favre was basically willing to pay Moses salary and TT already offered a 5th for him, why not just give a 4th instead and the deal is done?

BallHawk
05-14-2007, 07:30 AM
It's very possible that Favre thinks that he knows what went down, when really, he doesn't. Which, once again, brings us to Favre meddling in business where he doesn't belong.

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Why have two different teams given up on Moss, because he is a game changing talent who delivers whenever asked? Why do you want this guy? Forget about whether he is a bigger distraction that Owens, why have teams tried to give him away?

And secondly, about that fourth round pick:

Silverstein:
New England topped Green Bay's offer with a fourth-round pick. The Packers, sources said, weren't given the chance to increase their offer to the Raiders or Moss, although it's questionable whether general manager Ted Thompson would have done either. They were also offering a two-year contract, which wasn't ideal to Moss.

Favre: It wasn't the draft pick, it was the guaranteed money.

I think everyone needs to take off the rose colored glasses and cotton to the fact that Moss didn't want to come to Green Bay and he played Favre.

I have never been one to bash TT but, I am also one who likes to point out when he's at fault and after reading Favre's comments I think he was. I could see why Brett got upset. If Favre was basically willing to pay Moses salary and TT already offered a 5th for him, why not just give a 4th instead and the deal is done?

So again, coming back to logistics, it seems entirely practical to figure either TT would not pay Moss or TT would not up the offer.

I thought the above explanation was an good attempt to put two things together with all of the information we have. That is where the evidence points to

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM

How do you know this? Did you talk to Moss on the phone like Favre did?

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 07:42 AM
It's very possible that Favre thinks that he knows what went down, when really, he doesn't. Which, once again, brings us to Favre meddling in business where he doesn't belong.

Not many of us say Favre was OK in saying that.

My bias is obvious; this doesn't bother me as much because I agree 100% with Favre's comments.

He's always been honest and not wise with the comments he has made in the past. He shoots from the hip, often to his own detriment.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-14-2007, 07:56 AM

My bias is obvious; this doesn't bother me as much because I agree 100% with Favre's comments.

He's always been honest and not wise with the comments he has made in the past. He shoots from the hip, often to his own detriment.

Thats exactly how I see it.

BlueBrewer
05-14-2007, 08:11 AM
[quote=BallHawk]It's very possible that Favre thinks that he knows what went down, when really, he doesn't. Which, once again, brings us to Favre meddling in business where he doesn't belong.

I hate the thought of the Favreless Packer team but i can't blame Favre for his angst. There were lots of opportunities to improve the offensive side of the team. I do feel that TT has the team headed in the right direction, but he is definitely driving in the slow lane. Bottom line is Favre may be exactly right in his statements, and I agree with his sentiment but he should have done this behind closed doors.

wist43
05-14-2007, 01:15 PM
It blows my mind that any self-respecting Packer fan would even consider trading Favre... Without Favre, we're looking at a 4-12 season - and that's being optimistic.

I swear, you guys are going to be seriously bumming after Favre retires. Aaron Rodgers???? Gimme a break...

TT had better hope he's built up the rest of the team sufficiently to carry a below average QB... never mind the playoffs or a SB. The Packers offense is completely dependent on the QB - after Favre, the Packers don't have one.

Maybe Ingle Martin is the guy??? or maybe some pimple faced 16 year old kid... one think I'm pretty sure of - Aaron Rodgers ain't the guy.