PDA

View Full Version : Bob McGinn Article

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Pretty interesting. Why the hell would you trade up to take Ferguson though. McGinn is off his rocker on that one. McGinn seems to think the draft board for the Packers reads Ferguson, Davis, Hawk--although he makes a case for Hawk.

Davis figures to be Packers' top pick
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers appear to desire tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson of Virginia even more than they covet tight end Vernon Davis of Maryland in a suspenseful National Football League draft that will begin to unfold late this morning.

Certainly there's no guarantee that Ferguson, a pass-blocking left tackle, will be available.

Thus, if running back Reggie Bush, quarterback Vince Young and Ferguson join top pick Mario Williams off the board by No. 5, it would seem that their most likely move would be to choose Davis, the fastest and probably most athletic tight end ever to enter the league.

The selection of Davis by Green Bay would make him the highest drafted tight end in the NFL since the Packers took Ron Kramer with the No. 4 pick in 1957. Officially, Kramer was considered an end at the time. The only tight ends chosen at No. 5 were Riley Odoms by Denver in 1972 and Mike Ditka by Chicago in 1961.

If it is Davis, the Packers would be betting perhaps $16 million in guaranteed money that he could do for them what Tony Gonzalez has done for Kansas City and Antonio Gates has done for San Diego. That is, become their featured receiver in a short period of time, stretching and attacking defenses from all over the formation.

"He has a chance to be maybe the best player coming out of this draft," Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian said. "Because there's nothing wrong with him. It's not like he's the kid from Miami (Kellen Winslow) with flies on him. His blocking is fine, his hands are outstanding and he's a magnificent athlete."

General manager Ted Thompson could try to acquire the No. 2 selection from New Orleans in order to draft Bush, easily the consensus choice among personnel men as the best player in the draft. But the estimated cost of at least a second-round pick might be hard to stomach for a team with as many needs as the Packers.

Or, he might try to move up a slot or two for Ferguson, which also would be pricey.

Remember, however, that Thompson has traded down eight times and never once traded up during his career running the show during five drafts in Seattle and one in Green Bay. With seven picks, the Packers want at least four more, but more than likely they'll sit tight and exercise the fifth overall pick.

And what about A.J. Hawk, the quintessential linebacker from Ohio State? Well, Thompson has drafted six linebackers in the fourth round and not one in the first day, a trend that suggests he assigns less value to the position than others.

His mentor, Ron Wolf, engineered nine drafts and co-engineered another in Green Bay but drafted only four linebackers in the first three rounds.

Thompson lasted 10 seasons in the NFL as an undersized backup linebacker and, perhaps as a result, apparently thinks it's easier to find them than linemen and defensive backs.

His big unrestricted linebacker signings in Green Bay have been the forgettable Raynoch Thompson and Ben Taylor. None of his six fourth-round picks at linebacker became starters.

If the Packers do pass Hawk for Davis, it will be a decision that will be scrutinized for years to come. Hawk would start immediately on the weak side or in the middle, barring injury play 100% of the defensive snaps and bring speed, muscle, brains, leadership and big-play capability to a mediocre defense and abominable linebacking corps.

The amazing admiration for Hawk was made most evident by the results of a poll earlier in the month in which the Journal Sentinel asked 16 personnel people, including Polian and five general managers, to name the best, not the most valuable, defensive player in the draft.

Hawk drew 11 votes. Williams had three. Florida State's Ernie Sims, another linebacker, finished with two.

"I'm sorry to see him in our division," an executive for an NFC North team said, referring to Hawk and assuming Green Bay would take him. "He's great. But Davis is the equivalent of Hawk on the offense."

The Packers would have taken Williams in a heartbeat because of his ability to disrupt the passing game but, in a stunning development, he signed with Houston Friday night. Williams would have replaced Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila at right end and either he or Aaron Kampman would have moved inside on passing downs, reducing "KGB" to a situational role that probably would benefit him and the team.

If it's Ferguson, the shuffle would be messier and undoubtedly has given the Packers serious pause about taking him.

Ferguson has started all four years at left tackle and has a left tackle's lean build. Some scouts say it would be a mistake to make him play right tackle, where his lack of bulk would make him even more susceptible to power rushes from heavier left ends.

However, if the Packers would keep Ferguson in his comfort zone on the left side, either left tackle Chad Clifton or right tackle Mark Tauscher, or both, would have to change positions. Clifton hasn't played right tackle since 1996, and neither he nor Tauscher has played more than a smattering of guard.

Wolf remembered how Chris McIntosh, Thompson's second first-round pick in 2000, struggled at right tackle after starting four years on the left side at Wisconsin. Robert Gallery, a tremendous left tackle at Iowa, has had unexpected woes playing right tackle for Oakland since 2004.

Still, Ferguson's sheer athleticism, advanced technique and high character have extreme appeal to the Packers and could well lead to his selection.

The Packers just drafted a tight end, Bubba Franks, in the first round (14th pick) six years ago but Wolf has admitted a much wiser choice would have been linebacker Keith Bulluck. If it's Davis, there would be more two-tight end sets and less of fullback William Henderson.

With Javon Walker demanding out, Donald Driver unhappy and no sure bets in the draft at wide receiver, the Packers have almost nothing in their offensive arsenal other than aging Brett Favre and beat-up Ahman Green. They must find a playmaker to open up their offense.

The Packers' offense in the West Coast era was never better than in 1996, when tight end Keith Jackson scored 10 touchdowns and Thompson was the club's director of pro personnel. Jackson's speed and feel for how to beat coverages made the wide receivers better and the running game better.

Coach Mike McCarthy experienced what a real tight end can do as quarterbacks coach in Kansas City during Gonzalez's first two seasons. McCarthy was a tight end himself at Baker University.

His offensive coordinator, Jeff Jagodzinski, spent the last two seasons in Atlanta, where Alge Crumpler became a perennial Pro Bowl starter and played 94% off the snaps in '05 (Gonzalez played 98%). As a longtime tight ends coach, Jagodzinski understands the impact of an elite tight end.

When Gonzalez was drafted with the 13th pick in 1997, he stood 6 feet 4 1/8 inches, weighed 244 pounds, ran 40 yards in 4.80 seconds, had a 33½-inch vertical leap, a broad jump of 9-8 and scored 12 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

Crumpler, a high second-round choice in 2001, was 6-2½ and 266, ran 4.74, had jumps of 34 and 9-4, and scored 22 on the Wonderlic.

Now take Davis, who was 6-3¼ and 254 at the combine, ran 4.38, jumped 42 and 10-8, and scored 20 on the Wonderlic.

Some might say it's too high to take a tight end; no one has done it in 34 years. But if the Packers don't take Davis, the San Francisco 49ers appear primed to do so with the next selection.

Not only is Davis able to make plays all over the field in the passing game but scouts say his blocking is better than all but one or two tight ends in the draft.

If his first draft in Green Bay was any indication, Thompson loves to draft height-weight-speed prospects. Nick Collins, Terrence Murphy, Brady Poppinga and Mike Hawkins all fit that description, although Collins lacked height.

The one quarterback who seems to intrigue the Packers most is Young, but they don't appear sold on how he would assimilate McCarthy's version of the West Coast offense. If the Packers have another lousy season, and Aaron Rodgers shows little more than he did as a rookie, there would be quarterbacks available in '07 such as Notre Dame's Brady Quinn and Michigan State's Drew Stanton.

Merlin
04-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Ferguson huh? WTF do we need with a tackle? I can't stress enough how that would be a wasted first round pick. Wasn't the Tony Maderich debacle a lesson? I would NEVER risk a first rounder on an offensive lineman.

No Mo Moss
04-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Hmmmm, he makes some good points. I would be just fine with either hawk or Davis. We are severely starved of offensive weapons however and I've been preaching the importance of getting a TE who can split the safeties for 2 years. Brick being the selection would be a stright punch in the balls. He might end up being great, but I think if we go offense with the pick then Davis is the pick. Clearly a TE like him is the trend in the NFL and his future sure looks bright. He would also make Driver and Co. better, especially if we can get any kind of running game going. We could still get a good LB in the 2nd (especially if we get one for Walker as well or a first) Then a speedy third down back with hands would be ideal. Then look for athletic guards and WR and LB with the rest. If a good kicker is there later take him.
I'd be happy with that.

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 12:43 AM
McGinn makes a lot of sense. He pretty much sees things exactly as I do.

No Mo Moss
04-29-2006, 12:56 AM
I've tried to remain fairly open minded about his pick, but the more I think about the match-up problems that Davis creates, the more I like the pick.

Can you imagine a CB trying to tackle this guy at full speed?
I mean many many LBs couldn't do it.

I also think about the double TE set they could use with Bubba or even three TEs with the speedy Lee.
With the double set you could definately run out of it as both TEs are good blockers. You can chip at first downs and the underneath stuff with Bubba and backs out of the backfield as VD takes the entire secondary with him. If the D decides to go 8 in the box then VD could go all the way at any time. With the sloppy weather we play in his ability to break tackles would be very valuble in this division. What I watched of him in college he seemed to always run someone over. I think VD could have more of an impact on the team as a whole then hawk. VD could revive the whole offense where I think Hawk could only revive the LBs. I'll be happy with either one but I guess I'm rooting for Davis. Probably wrong.

Homer Jay
04-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Seems like a lot of double talk to me. The article is titled " Davis figures to be packers top pick." Then he says the Packers appear to prefer D'Brick. I didn't notice anywhere him saying according to a sourse on the team, so what makes him think the Packers appear to prefer the tackle? In 10 hours all the answers will begin to play out.

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 12:59 AM
I think Davis is going to got #4 to the Jets.

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 01:01 AM
You just saw what GM's think of elite athletes. Bush is a pretty amazing athlete but Mario is a little mroe spectacular when it comes to pure physical skills.

Davis is more gifted than Ferguson so I have a hard time believing Ferguosn goes before him. Hopefully I'm wrong.

imscott72
04-29-2006, 01:05 AM
If a good kicker is there later take him.

Umm lets not talk about kickers in this draft.. :mrgreen:

No Mo Moss
04-29-2006, 01:07 AM
If a good kicker is there later take him.

Umm lets not talk about kickers in this draft.. :mrgreen:
Sorry but I think you're going to see one, probably in the 6th.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 08:04 AM
You know, Pack4, you're right. It's a misleading headline and confusing article. It makes me wonder sometimes if the local writers get an idea that they can muddy the waters for other teams by pumping up a guy or guys that they know TT doesn't necessarily want. That's my conspiracy theory, anyway.

Homer Jay
04-29-2006, 11:47 AM
I emailed him and asked him what indications he had that the Packers wanted Brick, and if it was inside information or just his opinion. I said I came away not exactly sure who he thought would be picked by the Packers. I also mentioned I didn't notice any sources.

His answer: "I'm not sure, I'm not sure they were sure as of Friday night."

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I think Davis is going to got #4 to the Jets.

Nostradamus, you aren't.