PDA

View Full Version : Favre: "I never wanted to be traded."

Brando19
05-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I was just watching ESPN News and in the bottom corner there was a Breaking News bulletin that read...Favre speaks: "I Never Wanted To Be Traded."

After seeing this I found this article posted on SI:

Brett Favre acknowledged his anger over the team's unwillingness to pull off a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss on Monday, but denied that he ever really wanted the Green Bay Packers to trade him.

"I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England," Favre said, in a statement posted on the Packers' Web site. "I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer."

After Favre spent Saturday venting about the Packers' front office in a handful of media interviews at his annual charity golf tournament, Fox Sports' Web site reported on Sunday that Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson shortly after last month's NFL draft to request a trade.

That request was denied, according to the report, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy eventually calmed Favre down and got him to admit that he never really wanted to play elsewhere.

"Sometimes when I get frustrated, I let my emotions get the better of me," Favre said in the statement.

Favre, who told the team in February that he was returning for his 17th NFL season, reiterated his commitment to the Packers.

The Packers have a three-day mandatory minicamp beginning Friday, and it remains unclear whether Favre, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle in late February, will attend.

"As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next," Favre said. "I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."

LL2
05-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Now he says it, but he did create the maelstrom over this issue.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 11:34 AM
HE, never told the press he wanted to be traded.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
HE, never told the press he wanted to be traded.

Miracles never cease. The big mouth told them everything else.

Cheesehead Craig
05-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Much ado about nothing. Amazing what can happen in 24 hours.
Now we can put the focus back on the Brewers where it belongs.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Much ado about nothing. Amazing what can happen in 24 hours.
Now we can put the focus back on the Red Sox where it belongs.

:) :) :) :lol:

MadtownPacker
05-14-2007, 11:45 AM
"Sometimes when I get frustrated, I let my emotions get the better of me," Favre said in the statement.
There, he admitted he was wrong. Maybe we all can still learn a lil from a old "washed up" QB.

pbmax
05-14-2007, 11:47 AM
The Press Release:

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/05/14/1/

I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England. I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me.

As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next. I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life.

I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good.

Brando19
05-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe now we can focus on beating the Bears and Vikings twice.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 12:02 PM
There, he admitted he was wrong. Maybe we all can still learn a lil from a old "washed up" QB.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'd bet he has already apologized to Ted for his comments.

Brando19
05-14-2007, 12:04 PM

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'd bet he has already apologized to Ted for his comments.

I wonder if Ted has apologized to him for this offseason?

MadtownPacker
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'd bet he has already apologized to Ted for his comments.How about if possibly TT apologized for not keeping his word? It could go either way and we will never know.

Either way #4 is G&G is the way things should be.

OK so what are we gonna fight about now??

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Ted's not the one saying "sometimes I let my emotions get the better of me". Though I'm not sure if Ted has any emotions.

Brando19
05-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Ted is a robot. He cannot smile, he cannot frown, he cannot cry, he cannot answer questions without saying "I'm not going to talk about that."
There is an old story going around that Ted once told his mother, "I love you." But it's not confirmed and I think it's bullshit.

Patler
05-14-2007, 12:15 PM
For those who suggested yesterday that in some fashion Favre had thrown down the gauntlet, and it was up to TT to respond, it looks like TT stared back instead, .... and today Favre blinked.

gureski
05-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Ted's not the one saying "sometimes I let my emotions get the better of me". Though I'm not sure if Ted has any emotions.

Letting your emotions get the better of you doesn't necessarily mean you were wrong to be upset. It just says your reaction was inappropriate. I still want to know more about what Thompson did or didn't do with regards to that trade for Moss. I'm left with more questions than answers right now.

Patler
05-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Letting your emotions get the better of you doesn't necessarily mean you were wrong to be upset. It just says your reaction was inappropriate. I still want to know more about what Thompson did or didn't do with regards to that trade for Moss. I'm left with more questions than answers right now.

Chances are we will never know for sure. Today I heard an interview with Bob Harlan. What I understood him to say was:

The Packers tried hard to get Moss.
They made an offer they thought would do it.
They were not responded to, nor did they know they had no deal until hearing about the NE deal after the fact on TV.
Consequently, they never had the chance to respond to the NE offer.

lod01
05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Go FAVRE!!!!!

You are the man. Dude just wants to win.

woodbuck27
05-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Ted is a robot. He cannot smile, he cannot frown, he cannot cry, he cannot answer questions without saying "I'm not going to talk about that."
There is an old story going around that Ted once told his mother, "I love you." But it's not confirmed and I think it's bullshit.

I sense that Ted Thompson's personality will be 'our Achilles heal' as long as he's our GM.

After Favre it's going to be all uphill with this man as our GM. It's now time to secure some dividents fr. his time in Green Bay in the form of more wins than loss's.

It's all the Ted Thompson show now; therefore shouldn't it all be on TT?

The other thing I'm seeing is that Brett Favre can play in Green Bay as long as he wants through 2010 before he decides to retire. It's obvious to me that his committment as always is 100% there. He'll arrive in Green Bay and do all he can to help us secure wins.

Too bad that Ted Thompson didn't do more to more obviously secure that result since his arrival.

Ted gets praise for securing young players for our OL. What else could he do after we lost our middle of that line with him as our GM?

Ted gets praise for extending players when just that is warranted.

He gets praise for drafting players when many here would do as well in the draft that is nothing but a crap shoot.

He gets praise for doing alot to manage the CAP when otherwise would prove his incompetence.

When has he ever taken a chance - a gamble? When has he ever seen an opportunity to go after a player that should make a huge difference in our win-loss column, in a positive sense?

If TT only offered a 5th to Al Davis (Oakland) to acquire Randy Moss after all the rumors that Moss was imminantly a Packer; and after leaving our running game as it is? Then he should be held accountable.

If he did that then who could fry Brett Favre for venting or otherwise expressing his disappointment?

Many here want us to see TT's human side and to be honest he remains an enigma to me. He's one very strange man.

Well if you want that? Then I say why not cut Brett Favre ( a HOFer and face of the Packers) a break for his human side that's right in your face.

How can you denounce a man such as Brett Favre that only wants to win? Is that too strange for the TT supporters? Is wanting the weapons to win and expressing that such strange conduct?

pbmax
05-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Woodbuck, if Favre can play until 2010 (I assume that's when the contract runs out) then why the yearly will I or won't I retire?

Had he committed to playing out the contract, wouldn't the organizational appoach looked a little different?

The other thing I'm seeing is that Brett Favre can play in Green Bay as long as he wants through 2010 before he decides to retire. It's obvious to me that his committment as always is 100% there.He'll arrive in Green Bay and do all he can to help us secure wins.

retailguy
05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Chances are we will never know for sure. Today I heard an interview with Bob Harlan. What I understood him to say was:

They were not responded to, nor did they know they had no deal until hearing about the NE deal after the fact on TV.

Could it not also be said, that Ted has made what he thinks about acquisition of veteran players and salary demands pretty clear - "They are worth what they are worth".

If that is the perspective league wide, WHY call back with another offer? The price is the price, the terms are the terms. What suggests that Ted will "negotiate"? Really. I'm not being combative here.

If Ted wanted two seasons from Moss, which is probably true, what suggests he'd change his mind? If Ted refused guaranteed money, even after Brett offered to "essentially" pay it, what suggests he'd change his mind?

Seems to me, if you want to play for the Green Bay Packers, you take the deal that is offered, or you go somewhere else. It seems the only thing not open to negotiation, IS NEGOTIATION. Ted's way - or NO way.

woodbuck27
05-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Woodbuck, if Favre can play until 2010 (I assume that's when the contract runs out) then why the yearly will I or won't I retire?

Had he committed to playing out the contract, wouldn't the organizational appoach looked a little different?

The other thing I'm seeing is that Brett Favre can play in Green Bay as long as he wants through 2010 before he decides to retire. It's obvious to me that his committment as always is 100% there.He'll arrive in Green Bay and do all he can to help us secure wins.

pbmax:

Brett Favre wants to feel wanted and valued in Green Bay. He wants to feel that he is worth the money he is paid.

He is one of the most competitive PRO athletes I have ever seen. He is all about winning.

When he see's the results we all have experienced with the Packers over the past two seasons and before that too. He can't help but be disappointed. Like any responsible person he questions his real value and place with the team given his goals.

The main goal is to win.

When he see's his teams agenda obviously in a re-build mode and the GM can't even be honest enought to admit that (which is obvious) then how can he trust TT, given his (Favre's) deemed values,goals and place on the Packers?

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 12:55 PM
I sense that Ted Thompson's personality will be 'our Achilles heal' as long as he's our GM.

I don't conisder having a sunny disposition as being a critical success factor for a GM.

Is wanting the weapons to win and expressing that such strange conduct?

There's a huge difference between "only wanting to win", and publically whining about how the organization is going about it.

I think it is strange. How many other Packer players have weighed in this offseason with their insightful thoughts on Ted's offseason. Let's ask Nick Collins for his draft grade and analysis. Let's ask Colin Cole about what he thinks of Ted's moves in free agency. Why not ask Tausher when the rookie OT is going to beat out Clifton? Let's ask Donald Driver to discuss the pros and cons of trading Brett Favre.

All the other players have kept their damned mouths shut - thankfully.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
It seems the only thing not open to negotiation, IS NEGOTIATION. Ted's way - or NO way.

The only way?

That's counter to what happened with Harris. That's counter to what happened with Driver? That's counter to what happened with Barnett?

I could go on, but my fingers are getting sore.

woodbuck27
05-14-2007, 01:08 PM

I don't conisder having a sunny disposition as being a critical success factor for a GM.

Comment woodbuck27:

How about some DAM balls? How about some honesty? How about the will to work every day to make the Packers better.

EVERY DAY !!!!!

There's a huge difference between "only wanting to win", and publically whining about how the organization is going about it.

Comment woodbuck27:

I am not 100% up on all this bruhaha Scott.

ie What he actually said and the credited sources.My time available to get it all, isn't as it once was.

I think it is strange. How many other Packer players have weighed in this offseason with their insightful thoughts on Ted's offseason. Let's ask Nick Collins for his draft grade and analysis. Let's ask Colin Cole about what he thinks of Ted's moves in free agency. Why not ask Tausher when the rookie OT is going to beat out Clifton? Let's ask Donald Driver to discuss the pros and cons of trading Brett Favre.

All the other players have kept their damned mouths shut - thankfully.

Comment woodbuck27:

I agree that Favre might have remained silent on any disappointment he felt about TT's off season. He is competitive and he wants to win. So he vented.

Was that right or wrong will depend on how each of us view the Packers today in terms of our 2007 campaign and prospectus for a playoff berth. Was that right or wrong may also come in terms based on our individual support for Brett Favre which is all about Packer winning.

GO PACK GO !!

retailguy
05-14-2007, 01:09 PM
It seems the only thing not open to negotiation, IS NEGOTIATION. Ted's way - or NO way.

The only way?

That's counter to what happened with Harris. That's counter to what happened with Driver? That's counter to what happened with Barnett?

I could go on, but my fingers are getting sore.

Well, Scott. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Ted has ALWAYS been consistent in public with his desire to retain veterans. He has also ALWAYS been consistent with his "suspicion" and "fear" about veteran talent OUTSIDE the organization.

They aren't the same, and have NEVER been the same or treated the same... Nice try though... :wink:

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 01:11 PM
I get it. So those guys were the oranges?

Does that make Pickett, Woodson and Manual the apples?

RashanGary
05-14-2007, 01:14 PM
It's good to have everything back to normal. The drama queen steps out, remembers he's important and then backtracks.

RG, after seeing this crap that Favre pulled, I can't help but have even more understanding for what Sherman tried to do. Favre has been subtly threatening the organization for a number of years and it began as soon as Sherm took over as GM. If I was Ted, I think I would have broke and just doen what Favre wanted. I don't think my convictions on running a team are nearly as strong as Thompsons though. If I was a part of building teams for 15 years and I knew what I wanted to do; I might say differently but damn, Thompson easily could have done just what Sherman did, failed and then been fired for trying.

retailguy
05-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Yes it does. Now, you tell me, how much NEGOTIATION went on in those deals? I remember some "speculation" going on about Tampa Bay, but NEVER culminated in a contract offer. I remember some "speculation" going on regarding the Rams wanting Pickett back, but NEVER culminated in a contract offer. I also remember Ted jumping on Manuel as the "second coming of Christ" and we see quite clearly how well that worked out...

This proves your point, exactly how? :P

PackerBlues
05-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Let me point out to the "blind man" .......those guys all play defense......not offense.

RashanGary
05-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Let me point out to the "blind man" .......those guys all play defense......not offense.

They help win football games, no?

retailguy
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
It's good to have everything back to normal. The drama queen steps out, remembers he's important and then backtracks.

RG, after seeing this crap that Favre pulled, I can't help but have even more understanding for what Sherman tried to do. Favre has been subtly threatening the organization for a number of years and it began as soon as Sherm took over as GM. If I was Ted, I think I would have broke and just doen what Favre wanted. I don't think my convictions on running a team are nearly as strong as Thompsons though. If I was a part of building teams for 15 years and I knew what I wanted to do; I might say differently but damn, Thompson easily could have done just what Sherman did, failed and then been fired for trying.

Favre is not an easy guy to manage, that's for sure.

If you recall, I've always griped about Ted's managment skills. He largely put himself into this mess, with substantial help from Favre, but I do have to say I respect how he kept his cool and didn't "retaliate". That being said, I've got no idea whether or not he "had a plan" in this situation, or was "merely clueless" and didn't know HOW to respond.

I guess he gets the benefit doubt in the meantime... I guess he loses it, if we sign Keyshawn as a knee jerk reaction, huh? :P

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Yes it does. Now, you tell me, how much NEGOTIATION went on in those deals? I remember some "speculation" going on about Tampa Bay, but NEVER culminated in a contract offer. I remember some "speculation" going on regarding the Rams wanting Pickett back, but NEVER culminated in a contract offer. I also remember Ted jumping on Manuel as the "second coming of Christ" and we see quite clearly how well that worked out...

So let me get this straight. Ted must have worked at a Saturn dealership. You pay sticker, or walk home.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 01:22 PM

Perhaps PowderBlues can point out where I said they play offense? Hmmmm???

Who's blind now?

retailguy
05-14-2007, 01:23 PM

So let me get this straight. Ted must have worked at a Saturn dealership. You pay sticker, or walk home.

DING DING DING. We have a winner. This is EXACTLY what I'm saying related to veteran players that don't play for our team. You take the deal offered, or, YOU WALK AWAY.

Good to see I've got you on board!... :P

Patler
05-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Could it not also be said, that Ted has made what he thinks about acquisition of veteran players and salary demands pretty clear - "They are worth what they are worth".

If that is the perspective league wide, WHY call back with another offer? The price is the price, the terms are the terms. What suggests that Ted will "negotiate"? Really. I'm not being combative here.

If Ted wanted two seasons from Moss, which is probably true, what suggests he'd change his mind? If Ted refused guaranteed money, even after Brett offered to "essentially" pay it, what suggests he'd change his mind?

Seems to me, if you want to play for the Green Bay Packers, you take the deal that is offered, or you go somewhere else. It seems the only thing not open to negotiation, IS NEGOTIATION. Ted's way - or NO way.

I simply repeated what I understood Harlan to say, with not interpretation on it at all. But I will repsond to your hypothetical conclusions.

We don't know that there wasn't negotiation leading up to the offer. It apparently went on for some time, so I have to believe there was some give and take. There was with Green, and if I remember correctly also with Vinietari and/or Arrington last year.

We will never know the details of what did or did not happen, and we will all cast what "facts" there are in the best light to support our positions. It's human nature! :D

woodbuck27
05-14-2007, 01:25 PM

Your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance. :)

Since when JustinHarrell is it against the rules in PRO sports to feel good or bad about a teams direction and not be able to make any comment on it or be deemed the drama queen ?

Since when has Brett Favre ever made a move in the media that wasn't about positive direction for our team or otherwise related to personal issues?

retailguy
05-14-2007, 01:27 PM
We will never know the details of what did or did not happen, and we will all cast what "facts" there are in the best light to support our positions. It's human nature! :D

I think, in this case, they are all coming out, dirty laundry and all.

And, yes, we do put facts in "the light" of our positions, and you know, SOMETIMES we get them right!... :wink:

Patler
Since when has Brett Favre ever made a move in the media that wasn't about positive direction for our team or otherwise related to personal issues?

I think the frustrating part is how many there have been "in the media" the last few years. Favre hasn't let an off season pass quietly in a long time! :D

Scott Campbell

Since when has Brett not tried to cover up his own personal agenda behind the old "I just want to win" veil of goodguyedness?

Yeah, I know I made that word up.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 01:34 PM

For God's sake! Stop it! Let it go! :roll:

retailguy
05-14-2007, 01:35 PM

But.... what will we talk about until September? :shock: :wink:

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 01:36 PM

There's always Shermy sleepin at the combine.

:P

Brando19
05-14-2007, 01:37 PM

I believe Manual is the prune.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 01:41 PM

I believe Manual is the prune.

ROFL

Merlin
05-14-2007, 01:42 PM

I don't see it as Favre threatening the organization. Not in the least bit. In 2004, the Packers finished the season with a terrible playoff loss. Favre had questions about his ability to lead the team at that point. So he took some time to think about the future and if he still had it. In 2005 we suffered devastating injuries, the worst season since the Favre era, coaching changes, offensive changes, etc. Just about everything you could think of went wrong in 2005, again, Favre contemplated retirement. Who wouldn't have? Then you have 2006 where the Packers, although an 8-8 team, offensively were offensive. So Favre takes a look at the situation and decides that he still has it. Now he says that he is frustrated with management because their inability to bring in anyone on offense accept draft picks. I would say he has been frustrated with TT since day one.

What has TT really done? To say he is "rebuilding" is a damn joke. You do not rebuild anymore in the NFL. You may have a down season, maybe, MAYBE two. After that you have to wonder if you are the perennial losers like the Lions, Cardinals and 49er's who seem to be rebuilding EVERY DAMN YEAR. Might as well throw the Raiders in there as well. At least Al Davis appears to be trying to build an offense. We have lost a ton of players from a top 5 offense and replaced them with ROOKIES AND NFLE caliber players. Sure, the defense needed help but three drafts worth, free agent pickups and WHAT THE HELL HAS TT DONE FOR THE OFFENSE?

HE COULDN'T EVEN SIGN A PROVEN KICKER!

He is an average GM and his plan has been obvious, push Favre out. McCarthy doesn't have the same philosophy as Thompson. He can't, he's a coach who is on the hot seat to win games with the SHIT that Thompson gives him. McCarthy won't be considered a good coach until he has a team he can coach and TT is unwilling to bring in ANYONE to help with the offense. TT can't read a damn stat sheet and Favre is the one holding the team hostage? If chucking the ball up 600+ times a season is holding the team hostage, what do you call the guy who drafts a QB with his first draft pick for a team ever, then proceeds to ignore the offense the next 2+ years?

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
In 2005 we suffered devastating injuries, the worst season since the Favre era, coaching changes, offensive changes, etc. Just about everything you could think of went wrong in 2005, again, Favre contemplated retirement. Who wouldn't have?

Who wouldn't have considered retirement?

In rough terms, the other 52 guys on the roster.

I think Murphy probably considered it because of his injuries.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 01:50 PM
What has TT really done?

He fielded a roster that doubled the win total from 05. He dug us out of Shermy's cap hell.

I think the rest of the evaluation needs to wait until this thing plays out.

pbmax
05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
But is Favre putting his goals (immediately winning) ahead of the GMs goals (3 season of .500 just for the sake of argument) to win substantially more and over a longer period of time a good thing?

If this is what the difference is, and I think its likely that it is, should there be a parting of the ways?

I think Thompson is honest as much as possible. I think injuries killed a team that had shed talent and salary in the offseason before 2005. But I doubt 4-12 was part of the plan. I think three seasons near .500 would be a fair estimate.

But there are very few GMs who use the word rebuilding anymore at the behest of the marketing dept. Even the Brewers stayed away from it as they were doing it.

pbmax:

Brett Favre wants to feel wanted and valued in Green Bay. He wants to feel that he is worth the money he is paid.

He is one of the most competitive PRO athletes I have ever seen. He is all about winning.

When he see's the results we all have experienced with the Packers over the past two seasons and before that too. He can't help but be disappointed. Like any responsible person he questions his real value and place with the team given his goals.

The main goal is to win.

When he see's his teams agenda obviously in a re-build mode and the GM can't even be honest enought to admit that (which is obvious) then how can he trust TT, given his (Favre's) deemed values,goals and place on the Packers?

Merlin
05-14-2007, 01:54 PM
In 2005 we suffered devastating injuries, the worst season since the Favre era, coaching changes, offensive changes, etc. Just about everything you could think of went wrong in 2005, again, Favre contemplated retirement. Who wouldn't have?

Who wouldn't have considered retirement?

In rough terms, the other 52 guys on the roster.

I think Murphy probably considered it because of his injuries.

How many players in the locker room after the last game in 2005 thought to themselves, "I wish every season could be like this. I want to stay with this mess of an organization." My guess, a lot less then your "rough" estimate of 52.

Merlin
05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
What has TT really done?

He fielded a roster that doubled the win total from 05. He dug us out of Shermy's cap hell.

I think the rest of the evaluation needs to wait until this thing plays out.

"He" fielded a roster? But wait, I thought it was the COACH who decided who plays. Cap Hell? Sherman didn't manage the cap well but it was by no means "hell". We were just fine and contracts can be renegotiated. Not by TT though, especially for players he didn't sign. Things play out? And that will be when? When hell freezes over?

pbmax
05-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Boy that kicker made all the difference too this season!?

What's the difference between the Patriots and the Packers? The Patriots have a GM that wants to win now. The Packers have a GM that wants Favre gone.

And mindreading skills are wasted terribly when spent on football GMs. Shouldn't you be investing in the stock market with this skill? :wink:

Merlin
05-14-2007, 02:06 PM
You know, sometimes it just isn't worth it...

PackerBlues
05-14-2007, 02:08 PM
It is obvious that we are in a period of rebuilding. Thompson seems to think that by denying that we are, it makes it so. In the meantime, the fans, the media, and yes Brett Favre can see through Teds denial.

Many of you point at Favres remarks and say that he is undermining Ted Thompson. Favre truthfully pointed out what anyone else can already see for themselves.

Many of you say that Favre's comments are a "slap in the face" to the young rookies that Thompson picked up. In my opinion (You like that dont you Scott) Favre's comments may have been a slap at Thompsons inaction in free agency to help our Offense, and our young guys should appreciate the fact that they have a leader that wants to win now, as opposed to a "yes-man" who just comes in to collect his pay.

Many of you say that Favre is single-handedly chasing away free agents. I think its more likely that any free agent out there can see that we are in fact not just rebuilding, but doing it over a long period of time, irregardless of Ted Thompsons denial in those regards. Considering that fact, why would any free agent want to come to GB now?

Merlin
05-14-2007, 02:13 PM
It is obvious that we are in a period of rebuilding. Thompson seems to think that by denying that we are, it makes it so. In the meantime, the fans, the media, and yes Brett Favre can see through Teds denial.

Many of you point at Favres remarks and say that he is undermining Ted Thompson. Favre truthfully pointed out what anyone else can already see for themselves.

Many of you say that Favre's comments are a "slap in the face" to the young rookies that Thompson picked up. In my opinion (You like that dont you Scott) Favre's comments may have been a slap at Thompsons inaction in free agency to help our Offense, and our young guys should appreciate the fact that they have a leader that wants to win now, as opposed to a "yes-man" who just comes in to collect his pay.

Many of you say that Favre is single-handedly chasing away free agents. I think its more likely that any free agent out there can see that we are in fact not just rebuilding, but doing it over a long period of time, irregardless of Ted Thompsons denial in those regards. Considering that fact, why would any free agent want to come to GB now?

I am sure it had a lot to do with at least the Moss situation. BUT, if you look back, we had some big names come in and leave without a contract. TT accepts no responsibility for his actions. He wants all of the authority and none of the responsibility. "We don't talk about that".

pbmax
05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Woodbuck, one more comment. I believe Thompson and Favre are being about equally honest, as far a public comments go.

No team wants to admit rebuilding or getting younger as it hurts sales and enthusiasm. I believe (IMHO) that T2 wants to win, win now and win in the future. But he doesn't believe in mortgaging the future even with Favre at the helm.

I believe (IMHO) Favre wants to win, he wants the records(what competitive person wouldn't) and wants them while winning so he doesn't look like Pete Rose at the end of his career and wants another shot at the Super Bowl.

Its the time frame that separates them, not the desire to win. This is all pretty understandable in that context.

In the end, I side with the GM, not because I know for certain he's the guy, but he is the one implementing the plan and it will all go better if everyone is pulling in the same direction.

While I appreciate Favre, its not his call to name the GM or the approach. As painful as it may be, he has to decide if he wants to continue or wants to win sooner elsewhere.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 02:30 PM

Soooooo, the frustration should be vented at the Moss, Al Davis......and always............Bellicheck.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh, and let's not forget Tom Brady....................he 'restructured' remember? :roll:

Patler
05-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Soooooo, the frustration should be vented at the Moss, Al Davis......and always............Bellicheck.

I have absolutely no idea. I'm just relating what Harlan said. For all I know he could have been making up a huge story just for the media, or he could have been telling the absolute truth. I really don't know, or care!

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 02:56 PM
TT accepts no responsibility for his actions. He wants all of the authority and none of the responsibility.

This is a ridiculous statement.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 03:01 PM

I have absolutely no idea. I'm just relating what Harlan said. For all I know he could have been making up a huge story just for the media, or he could have been telling the absolute truth. I really don't know, or care!

My observation was exactly as stated. WHY, really, why is no one venting on those 'other' guys? :?:

mraynrand
05-14-2007, 03:05 PM

There's always Shermy sleepin at the combine.

:P

Where's the pic?

woodbuck27
05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
But is Favre putting his goals (immediately winning) ahead of the GMs goals (3 season of .500 just for the sake of argument) to win substantially more and over a longer period of time a good thing?

If this is what the difference is, and I think its likely that it is, should there be a parting of the ways?

I think Thompson is honest as much as possible. I think injuries killed a team that had shed talent and salary in the offseason before 2005. But I doubt 4-12 was part of the plan. I think three seasons near .500 would be a fair estimate.

But there are very few GMs who use the word rebuilding anymore at the behest of the marketing dept. Even the Brewers stayed away from it as they were doing it.

pbmax:

The main goal is to win.

Woahh !

All Favre has said is that he was very annoid that TT didn't secure Randy Moss. I believe we will some day find out that Brett Favre was somehow very active in arriving just at this result.

Favre felt that acquiring Moss would go a long way towords really making us more competitive.The cost to acquire Moss wasn't going to hurt TT as Favre was subsidizing his one year deal.

Now,we learn that TT wanted (might have wanted) Moss to ink a two year deal to compensate giving up a fifth round draft pick. That was what made all the difference in allowing the Pat's ack in?

NO way should Favre be traded or have to retire over this matter.

That's pure nonsense. :)

mraynrand
05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
The Right Man - excerpts from a September 7, 2001 Appleton Post Crescent Newspaper column by Mike Sherman, Coach of the Green Bay Packers.

bullet "I do believe that some jobs are too big for some men, but I believe that no job is too big for the right man!"

bullet "To me, the right man is someone who can make good, solid decisions based on facts."

bullet The right man is also someone who trusts his instincts regarding the character of people."

bullet "The right man must be able to admit mistakes and have the ability to fix them and move on."

bullet "He must be humble enough to heap praise on others during times of success while courageous enough to accept the blame during times of defeat."

bullet "Finally, the right man for this job must be able to withstand the scrutiny and criticism that will undoubtedly occur and not let it detract him from his vision of success."

bullet "In order to do all this, he must have both his feet firmly planted on a strong foundation that is supported by his faith, his family and the morals and principals he knows are right."

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 03:10 PM
The Right Man - excerpts from a September 7, 2001 Appleton Post Crescent Newspaper column by Mike Sherman, Coach of the Green Bay Packers.

bullet "I do believe that some jobs are too big for some men, but I believe that no job is too big for the right man!"

bullet "To me, the right man is someone who can make good, solid decisions based on facts."

bullet The right man is also someone who trusts his instincts regarding the character of people."

bullet "The right man must be able to admit mistakes and have the ability to fix them and move on."

bullet "He must be humble enough to heap praise on others during times of success while courageous enough to accept the blame during times of defeat."

bullet "Finally, the right man for this job must be able to withstand the scrutiny and criticism that will undoubtedly occur and not let it detract him from his vision of success."

bullet "In order to do all this, he must have both his feet firmly planted on a strong foundation that is supported by his faith, his family and the morals and principals he knows are right."

These sound a tad Lombardi-like. ......................that's not a bad thing.

Rastak
05-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, I not surprised it is much gnashing of teeth over nothing. The first 30 minutes after the trade story broke I was "Whoa, what's this" but after thinking about it and listening to the debate here I came to the same conclusion many here did, he just spouted off cause he was pissed. Man, I know the Vikings have endless drama and yours is a bit less, oh how do I say it, hmmmm, words fail me. Anyway, Favre seems to supply you guys with plenty to talk about.