PDA

View Full Version : Favre

HarveyWallbangers
05-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Looks like I read the situation correctly, and I'm glad I didn't waste 24-48 hours getting worked up about it.
:D

retailguy
05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Looks like I read the situation correctly, and I'm glad I didn't waste 24-48 hours getting worked up about it.

Miss Cleo? Is it you? :P

HarveyWallbangers
05-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I love how people who can't understand Brett's frustration with not getting Moss or jump to conclusions about this ituation are the same ones who vehomently defend Ted Thompson on just about every move he makes, and vice versa. It seems for 95% of Packer fans this is a Ted vs. Brett thing. There are some that are especially guilty of this.

HarveyWallbangers
05-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Here's the deal:

Rightly or wrongly, this is who they are (these aren't all facts, but I think they lie close to the truth):

TED THOMPSON

Ted Thompson is not out to run Brett Favre out of town. He realizes Brett still gives him the best chance to win now.

Ted Thompson has not made getting Brett Favre one last title the focal point of his rebuilding effort.

Ted Thompson has not ignored the offense. He's spent a good number of draft picks on skill position players on offense (not to mention OL).

Ted Thompson loves building through the draft. That's his core philosophy.

Ted Thompson loves trading down for more picks in the draft. Some times this is to the detriment of the Packers drafting a player that you wanted them to take at a certain spot.

Ted Thompson will occasionally sign FAs, but he will set a strict contractual limit on the player, and is not willing to move from that figure much.

BRETT FAVRE

Brett Favre is one of the greatest players in Packers history.

Brett Favre isn't great today, but he's still better than average.

Brett Favre will run his mouth at times, but it's not much different than a lot of players who have attained his status. He's stuck his foot in his mouth before, and some of us don't hate him for that. Other older veterans have done the same. He isn't the first and he won't be the last to do so.

Brett Favre, by and large, is still well-respected by his teammates--as much for his toughness and charisma on the field, and his likeability (e.g. he's a regular guy who happened to be a great football player) off the field.

RANDY MOSS

Brett Favre wants to win a title before he rides off into the sunset. He was excited about the young team after last season. He saw a team that could potentially contend. He felt Randy Moss was the missing piece to achieving this goal. He recruited Moss heavily. He felt the Packers were close to getting Moss. He thought Thompson was more dedicated to getting Moss than he way. He was upset when Thompson didn't pull the trigger. He was frustrated, and he made it known--which he often does. Thompson, on the other hand, would have added Moss for the right price. However, he was not willing to budge from his price. Maybe this depended on Moss accepting a two year deal because he felt giving up higher than a 5th round pick for a one year player was a bad investment. Some thought it was well worth the risk. Others didn't want Moss at any price. Thompson set his price, and it didn't work out.

K-town
05-14-2007, 02:22 PM
My God - it's the voice of reason.
Excellent take on the (non)situation.
And without name-calling and finger-pointing.
No villains to be excoriated, because maybe, just maybe, THERE ARE NO VILLAINS HERE.
I'd like to think that Ted isn't trying to drive Brett out, and Brett isn't engineering some ego-driven power play.
Frankly, haven't seen any proof to support either scenario.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 02:32 PM
..............THERE ARE NO VILLAINS HERE.

I agree. Brett was just a victim of his foot slipping into his mouth.

pbmax
05-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Bingo.

Here's the deal:

Rightly or wrongly, this is who they are (these aren't all facts, but I think they lie close to the truth):

TED THOMPSON

Ted Thompson is not out to run Brett Favre out of town. He realizes Brett still gives him the best chance to win now.

Ted Thompson has not made getting Brett Favre one last title the focal point of his rebuilding effort.

Ted Thompson has not ignored the offense. He's spent a good number of draft picks on skill position players on offense (not to mention OL).

Ted Thompson loves trading down for more picks in the draft. Some times this is to the detriment of the Packers drafting a player that you wanted them to take at a certain spot.

Ted Thompson will occasionally sign FAs, but he will set a strict contractual limit on the player, and is not willing to move from that figure much.

BRETT FAVRE

Brett Favre will run his mouth at times, but it's not much different than a lot of players who have attained his status. He's stuck his foot in his mouth before, and some of us don't hate him for that. Other older veterans have done the same. He isn't the first and he won't be the last to do so.

Brett Favre, by and large, is still well-respected by his teammates--as much for his toughness and charisma on the field, and his likeability (e.g. he's a regular guy who happened to be a great football player) off the field.

RANDY MOSS

Brett Favre wants to win a title before he rides off into the sunset. He was excited about the young team after last season. He saw a team that could potentially contend. He felt Randy Moss was the missing piece to achieving this goal. He recruited Moss heavily. He felt the Packers were close to getting Moss. He thought Thompson was more dedicated to getting Moss than he way. He was upset when Thompson didn't pull the trigger. He was frustrated, and he made it known--which he often does. Thompson, on the other hand, would have added Moss for the right price. However, he was not willing to budge from his price. Maybe this depended on Moss accepting a two year deal because he felt giving up higher than a 5th round pick for a one year player was a bad investment. Some thought it was well worth the risk. Others didn't want Moss at any price. Thompson set his price, and it didn't work out.

retailguy
05-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Bingo.

Here's the deal:

TED THOMPSON

BRETT FAVRE

RANDY MOSS

And.... All of this equals a competitive team in 2008 or 2009 if Favre retires at the end of this season....

Harv, you hit the nail on the head once again. Wonder whose head was on the nail. :?: :lol:

Rastak
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM

For the record, I didn't get worked up about it either. Then again, I'm kinda immune.

I was taken aback at first on the trade thing but in the end it was just Favre being Favre.

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 04:40 PM
I love how people who can't understand Brett's frustration with not getting Moss or jump to conclusions about this ituation are the same ones who vehomently defend Ted Thompson on just about every move he makes, and vice versa. It seems for 95% of Packer fans this is a Ted vs. Brett thing. There are some that are especially guilty of this.

:glug:

Exactly right; put me in the group throwing darts at the Snapper :lol:

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 04:42 PM
""He thought Thompson was more dedicated to getting Moss than he way""

THOMPSON HATER THOMPSON HATER :lol: :lol: :wink:

Kiwon
05-14-2007, 05:05 PM
:) Brett, God bless him.

If he was wondering about the strength of his fan base in Green Bay it's been demonstrated the last 2 days. He won't be talking off the cuff at golf tournaments for awhile.

The Brett as "king maker" stuff is so ridiculous. His frustration is evidence that he's a player, not someone pulling the strings of the organization (and that's a very good thing in Brett's case).

This is TT's first gig as GM. Mixed results so far but he deserves at least one more year to prove his strategy/philosophy. Defense wins championships. If the Packers become contenders then no one will be complaining about his approach. He's about as flashy as a door knob but so what? He's a football geek wed to his job. Nothing wrong with that.

Moss....we'll see. He must be laughing to himself though to see the controversy. The guy's not even in our conference and he can still stir the pot. It adds to his own myth, the jerk!

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 05:11 PM
:)If the Packers become contenders then no one will be complaining about his approach.

I don't believe that. The anti-Ted crowd (zealots like Tank) will never stop complaining. IMO

I'm giving Ted time to earn respect through his accomplishments over the next year or so. If we don't adequately progress, I'll be right there with everyone else that's calling for his job.

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 05:13 PM
:)If the Packers become contenders then no one will be complaining about his approach.

I don't believe that. The anti-Ted crowd (zealots like Tank) will never stop complaining. IMO

I'm giving Ted time to earn respect through his accomplishments over the next year or so. If we don't adequately progress, I'll be right there with everyone else that's calling for his job.

As I've stated many times before TT will get the free pass that Holmgren/Wolf have earned when he wins a Super Bowl.....for Green Bay that is.

retailguy
05-14-2007, 07:47 PM

So, am I in the "anti-Ted" crowd?

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Nah, you're not the zealot that Tank was. I think you're capable of changing your mind if Ted ends up getting it done. I still think you're hung up on Sherman though, and anybody that followed him was going to have an uphill battle in your eyes. Just my read. I could be wrong.

retailguy
05-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Nah, you're not the zealot that Tank was. I think you're capable of changing your mind if Ted ends up getting it done. I still think you're hung up on Sherman though, and anybody that followed him was going to have an uphill battle in your eyes. Just my read. I could be wrong.

Hung up on Sherman? No. But I saw more good in him than most, that's for sure. I appreciated his sincerity and his love for Green Bay.

I appreciated the chances he took (in the beginning) to "get it done" while Favre was still here. It got a tad ridiculous towards the end, and I was disappointed in the lack of listening and delegating he did towards the end, however, it's predictable from someone who was in a state of desperation and panic.

For the most part, I like the job Thompson has done. I don't like the manner he approaches free agency. I like even less the telegraphing of his "positions" related to free agency and the "message" that sends free agents and the rest of the league. I also don't like the "stick to the plan" at all costs routine either. It wouldn't kill the cap to have brought in a few guys at need positions in free agency, no matter what any of the "pro Ted" zealots claim.

That's mostly it in a nutshell. I'm just disappointed that the team didn't (to date) make a huge step forward. Little steps weren't good enough for me, I guess. I also don't buy the "crap" that some "diamond in the rough" will be available later this off season. There are ZERO players of the Woodson talent level left available, and those guys won't likely be released at the start of camp. Even if they are, they'll be in "demand", and I don't expect Ted to win any of those battles...

Maybe some rookie for 1st year player will knock my socks off, but, I don't hold out much hope for that. I'm VERY concerned about the offensive line. A resigned Green, combined with a pretty good 3rd receiver (Darrell Jackson, perhaps?) would've "taken the pressure" off the OL to be good, and allowed Favre enough weapons to make something of a botched play.