PDA

View Full Version : Better off without Favre?

LL2
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Packers better off without Favre

Adam Schein / FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

So now Brett Favre says he never wanted to be traded and he wants to be a Packer forever.
To quote the immortal Derrick Coleman, "Whoop-de-damn-do."
The Packers should still think long and hard about letting him go.
For the record, here was Favre's response on the Packers web site over Jay Glazer's report yesterday:
"I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England, I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer."
My response remains the same: the Packers need to seriously consider making this move and get the wheels in motion to put the Favre era — no matter how successful it was — in the past.
It's time to forget the supposed public relations nightmare. It's time to hold Favre to the same standards as every other player on the team.
Favre continuously popping off on management about not surrounding him with adequate talent, indirectly ripping his teammates, is a distraction and a detriment. So are the constant questions about his eventual retirement.
But Favre's frustrations — not to mention his very public venting of them — should be the last straw. This latest furor comes just days after Favre sounded off on Ted Thompson and Green Bay management on Saturday at his golf tournament in Mississippi. Favre was having daydreams about throwing to Moss, Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. And his tone and word choice indicated he was livid about management getting outbid by the Patriots. New England gave up a fourth-rounder; Thompson offered a fifth-rounder. Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy confessed last week to us that the Packers did want Moss and were in the bidding until the end.
You can't blame them for not wanting to overpay for a receiver with a bad attitude.
I applaud Ted Thompson for that.
The Packers, if you haven't been paying attention, are in the middle of a retooling/rebuilding mode.
Thompson and McCarthy have rightly tried to reload via the draft and last year's haul of A.J. Hawk, Daryn Colledge, Tony Moll, Jason Spitz, Abdul Hodge and Jennings was a good first step.
Thompson has given Aaron Kampman and Nick Barnett the appropriate contract extensions to keep the young, effective core of the defense together.
Green Bay is prepping for 2008 in every area but quarterback, where they are still held hostage by Favre, who can seemingly do and say whatever he wants.
Oh, McCarthy was thrilled when we spoke on Thursday that Favre, still rehabbing from ankle surgery, was planning to show at Packers mini-camp later this week.
It's not often that Favre chooses to show up, or is made to be there like everyone else.
But I'm sure McCarthy's enthusiasm was curbed a bit when he read Favre's quotes this weekend, describing just how useless mini-camp and training camp really are.
Let's be honest — Favre is well along the downside of his career. His decision-making and knack for forcing the ball into double or triple coverage has hurt Green Bay. Last year he tossed 18 picks against 18 touchdowns. That's not good. That's after throwing 29 picks in 2005.
Is he a top 10 quarterback in 2007? Absolutely not.
Green Bay spent a first-round pick on Aaron Rodgers. Maybe it's time to see what he has. I know the Packers won't make the playoffs with Rodgers.
But let's be very honest again here for a second — the Packers aren't making the playoffs with Favre either. Not with their defense and running game.
McCarthy comes onto our radio show every week. And I always feel badly when we have to pepper him with the constant Favre questions. And we have to do the same for all Packers players.
Other teams with a passionate fan base have let a legend go before. It's been done before at the quarterback position.
It was difficult to ever imagine Joe Montana in another uniform. The Niner icon became a Chief at the end of his career. He is still viewed as a legendary member of the San Francisco organization. It didn't mar his career or change how revered he is in the Bay Area.
It was unfathomable to imagine Pedro Martinez leaving Red Sox nation after delivering a World Series to a fan base that has the same passion as Packers fans. It happened. Sox fans were livid. It turned out to be the best thing for everyone.
Hakeem Olajuwon left the Rockets. Karl Malone finished up as a Laker after being a superstar in Salt Lake City, a small market like Green Bay.
Former New York Rangers executive Dave Checketts uttered his famous, "How long do I have to keep paying for the Cup?" quote when he let Mark Messier go to Vancouver.
I'm sure the fine folks in the Green Bay offices have to be asking themselves a similar question.
Let Favre go play for the Dolphins or Jaguars.
Find out what you have in Rodgers.
Get a quarterback into the lineup who won't be constantly questioning the talent around him.
Favre will always be a Packer legend, but the best thing for the sanity and upward movement of the Packers for the rest of this decade is to let him go now.

HarveyWallbangers
05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Another dumb one.

Favre doesn't always question the talent around him. He's often criticized for overrating the talent around him ("Super Bowl or bust", "most talent around me since I've been here" type quotes).

This isn't too hard if you understand human nature. He wanted Moss, recruited Moss, thought the Packers had Moss, and then they lost Moss because Thompson didn't pull the trigger (rightly or wrongly). He was disappointed. He isn't the only legend at the end of his career that's felt this way. He's realizing that the rebuilding effort doesn't have anything to do with him--while he was expecting the team to go hard after a title (maybe ala Denver with John Elway). He seems to be the one that is most criticized by the media though.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Now that was a waste of good reading time.

retailguy
05-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Now that was a waste of good reading time.

I won't waste my time then. Thanks.

woodbuck27
05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Is that piece of crap anything that any Packer fan could endorse?

The same ole same ole anti Favre propaganda that we have to suck up every off season of late.

If I was advising Brett right now. I'd tell him to just give errrrr all you have this season.The fans willl see and know the truth.

Funny how some fans believe their way of seeing far outweighs lesser fans (haha).

All it takes is a good Favre is annoyed release to bring out the extreme prejudices and prompts for Favre to move on somewhere.

We will be dead in the water without him this season. Otherwise, all he may provide is a life raft. :)

Chester Marcol
05-14-2007, 03:50 PM
This deusche bag is nothing more than a headline whore. The one thing that is sicker than the whole blow up are the pin heads like this looking for there bit of attention. I'm so disapointed in Adam Schein. His stuff is usually so much better than this, gag, cough, hack....(sarcasm intended)

Rastak
05-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Another dumb one.

Favre doesn't always question the talent around him. He's often criticized for overrating the talent around him ("Super Bowl or bust", "most talent around me since I've been here" type quotes).

This isn't too hard if you understand human nature. He wanted Moss, recruited Moss, thought the Packers had Moss, and then they lost Moss because Thompson didn't pull the trigger (rightly or wrongly). He was disappointed. He isn't the only legend at the end of his career that's felt this way. He's realizing that the rebuilding effort doesn't have anything to do with him--while he was expecting the team to go hard after a title (maybe ala Denver with John Elway). He seems to be the one that is most criticized by the media though.

I guess I agree with your take Harvey.

Pacopete4
05-14-2007, 05:52 PM
i emailed this queer and I wish I woulda copied it to post on here what I wrote him but my last line said..

"I would love to see Favre have the talent that Manning has around him so he could shatter Mannings records even at the ages hes at. I hope you are just a guy trying to get a front page headline by stirring the pot a little or you just know jackshit about football"

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
A couple years ago a writer from SI, Josh Elliot, wrote an article on Favre that dealt with the 'R' word. It was so overdone, written about by so many other writers. Anyway, I wrote him an email saying that he was just using Favre as his 'cash cow', how the name and picture of Favre sells, yadayada........I may have asked if he was looking for emails, or was lonely or something like that......
this was his response:

From: JElliott0904@aol.com Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:50:45 EST
Subject: Re: Mailbag: Josh Elliott

Here's the thing. I don't care how my column makes you or any other Packers fan react; that has nothing to do with why I write what I write. When last Wednesday rolled around, Favre's return was one of the day's headlines, and it made me think about the absurdity of his annual "I'm-coming-back" routine--how it handcuffs a franchise, one that needs all the front-office help it can get--and about how a quarterback as great as he once was deserves better than the team's current state. If any of those observations bother you, my apologies.

But please don't infer that I wrote something based on an anticipated response from the readers. Because that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my story selection (or, to speak to your other inference, my pay scale).

Josh Elliott

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Don't know why I kept.............I just deleted it tho.

b bulldog
05-14-2007, 09:56 PM
lOVE HOW ALL THE media who write articles about Brett being over the hill, diminishing skills ect are always dumb or a waste of time.

CaliforniaCheez
11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
He ought to just buy a coffin. He is holding his children back from being successful......

Brohm
11-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Not much flesh left on those bones :P

PlantPage55
11-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I sent him a great e-mail just now. Ha ha ha

LL2
11-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I sent him a great e-mail just now. Ha ha ha

Let us know if he replies and what he says. Favre is making a lot of media types eat crow.

Zool
11-05-2007, 11:40 AM
If he's not writing for fan reaction, WTF is he writing for? Writers who aren't writing box scores or game recaps are for entertainment only. He very specifically writes editorials for reaction. I guess he just doesn't like the negative aspect.

swede
11-05-2007, 12:08 PM
lOVE HOW ALL THE media who write articles about Brett being over the hill, diminishing skills ect are always dumb or a waste of time.

Because its so obvious that he is over-the-hill and diminished, Bulldog? :lol:

Deputy Nutz
11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
This guy is a genius. I really hope others out their send him some nasty hate mail. The media thinks it has a free reign to type all the bullshit they want and never get called on it after the fact. He is a schmuck, dork, nerd, feminine hygiene product that has never strapped on the pads a day in his life.