PDA

View Full Version : I spoke with Bob Harlan today. INTERESTING.

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 04:14 PM
As I posted before, I did call John Jones and Bob Harlan.

Bob Harlan called me back this morning on my cell phone. Now before you call my a liar, call Harlan yourself. He WILL call you back. He is very interested in what the fans have to say. I am NO ONE SPECIAL (it hurts to admit :P ) and I am not an insider like Arrigo. Hee hee.

Anyway, I told Harlan how disappointed I was about what Brett said. Harlan told me he was shocked by the report and that Brett was going to release a statement later in the day (which he did) about he status in GB. I asked Harlan what he expected Favre to say. Harlan said "that he doesnt want to be traded."

I told Harlan that TT has not surrounded Brett with the talent on O that he deserves and feel that TT is wasting Brett's last few seasons. Harlan said the offseason is not over yet and they will still add players to the team. Harlan said fans had the same reaction last season and then the Packers got Charles Woodson and the team improved. He also stated that they had a very strong draft in 2006 and the 2007 draft class can't be judged by fans yet.

I then asked Harlan about Randy Moss. Now this part shocked me. Harlan was very open and honest about the situation. Harlan told me he went to bed on Sat. night BELIEVING that Randy Moss was going to be a Packer. Harlan said they (the Packers) found out that Moss was a Patriot when they turned on the TV on Sun. morning. Harlan said Moss' agent (who is NOT Bus Cook) NEVER gave the Packers a call after New England jumped in with the 4th round pick and the new deal for Moss. Harlan said it happens all the time and it is very annoying. Harlan told me he wished Moss' agent would have given the Packers a chance to match New Englands offer. Harlan went on to say that the Packers had a deal to get Moss for a 5th round pick and never offered higher because they didnt know they had to. Thus, they never offered one of their 3rd round picks.

I ended the conversation by saying "Mr. Harlan, I can't imagine the Green Bay Packers with out Brett Favre." Harlan told me "either can I." I then said "Would you ever trade Brett?" Harlan said "absolutely not!"

So there you go. It isnt anything breaking but it is interesting. I understand Harlan is on the way out but he still holds some power up in GB.

If you don't believe me, call him yourself. He'll tell you the same thing.

packers11
05-14-2007, 04:26 PM
wow... That thing with Randy Moss is unbelievable... I'm surprised though the Raiders didnt call the PACKERS back... Thats the most interesting part to me :? ...

Rastak
05-14-2007, 04:28 PM

Bob Harlan called me back this morning on my cell phone. Now before you call my a liar, call Harlan yourself. He WILL call you back. He is very interested in what the fans have to say. I am NO ONE SPECIAL (it hurts to admit :P ) and I am not an insider like Arrigo. Hee hee.

Anyway, I told Harlan how disappointed I was about what Brett said. Harlan told me he was shocked by the report and that Brett was going to release a statement later in the day (which he did) about he status in GB. I asked Harlan what he expected Favre to say. Harlan said "that he doesnt want to be traded."

I told Harlan that TT has not surrounded Brett with the talent on O that he deserves and feel that TT is wasting Brett's last few seasons. Harlan said the offseason is not over yet and they will still add players to the team. Harlan said fans had the same reaction last season and then the Packers got Charles Woodson and the team improved. He also stated that they had a very strong draft in 2006 and the 2007 draft class can't be judged by fans yet.

I then asked Harlan about Randy Moss. Now this part shocked me. Harlan was very open and honest about the situation. Harlan told me he went to bed on Sat. night BELIEVING that Randy Moss was going to be a Packer. Harlan said they (the Packers) found out that Moss was a Patriot when they turned on the TV on Sun. morning. Harlan said Moss' agent (who is NOT Bus Cook) NEVER gave the Packers a call after New England jumped in with the 4th round pick and the new deal for Moss. Harlan said it happens all the time and it is very annoying. Harlan told me he wished Moss' agent would have given the Packers a chance to match New Englands offer. Harlan went on to say that the Packers had a deal to get Moss for a 5th round pick and never offered higher because they didnt know they had to. Thus, they never offered one of their 3rd round picks.

I ended the conversation by saying "Mr. Harlan, I can't imagine the Green Bay Packers with out Brett Favre." Harlan told me "either can I." I then said "Would you ever trade Brett?" Harlan said "absolutely not!"

So there you go. It isnt anything breaking but it is interesting. I understand Harlan is on the way out but he still holds some power up in GB.

Well, you trump me fan wise....it would never occur me to call the team brass. Very cool that he called you back.

So, are you all calmed down now? I thought you were gonna do something drastic there for a while.....

PackerBlues
05-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Thank you very much for posting this. My only question would be.......why not get something in writing before the draft? And yeah, Why wouldnt the Raiders call GB back to see if they wanted to trump the Pats offer? I have to wonder about why they would give him up to an AFC team when they may have been able to get a better offer from GB simply by making a phone call.

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 04:42 PM

Well, you trump me fan wise....it would never occur me to call the team brass. Very cool that he called you back.

So, are you all calmed down now? I thought you were gonna do something drastic there for a while.....

I'm a little better now that Favre has made his "I don't want to be traded" statement. My head was going to explode on Sunday. It was very nice of you to ask. :D

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Thank you very much for posting this. My only question would be.......why not get something in writing before the draft? And yeah, Why wouldnt the Raiders call GB back to see if they wanted to trump the Pats offer? I have to wonder about why they would give him up to an AFC team when they may have been able to get a better offer from GB simply by making a phone call.

You know, Harlan mentioned the agent a lot but never mentioned the Raiders. He seemed to put most of the blame on them. I wonder if the Raiders gave Moss' agent permission to work out the deal. I really don't know to tell you the truth. But Harlan sounded like he was frustrated with Moss' agent and not the Raiders.

MTPackerfan
05-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I believe the Patriots offered a higher 4th rounder and the 3rd round was already over by then. The best the Packers could have offered would have been multiple picks, ie a 4th and 7th for example. It does seem odd the Raiders didn't at least contact the Packers to see about a better deal though.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 04:57 PM

Only in Green Bay. Well done gbpackfan.

MTPackerfan
05-14-2007, 05:21 PM
I am NO ONE SPECIAL

Don't be so hard on yourself, you are special on this board, everyone is.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 05:24 PM

I really doubt that this kind of thing would happen anywhere else in the NFL. Fan accessibility to Bob Harlan is legendary. I've heard stories just like this well over 10 times in the last few years.

b bulldog
05-14-2007, 05:25 PM
As I posted before, Moss wanted to be a Patriot

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 05:27 PM
I am NO ONE SPECIAL

HA HA HA. Thanks. I feel all soft and fuzzy inside now. :P :shock:

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 05:28 PM

Only in Green Bay. Well done gbpackfan.

Thanks. I was much nicer to Bob Harlan then I was on John Jones' voice mail.

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I am NO ONE SPECIAL

http://filebox.vt.edu/j/janeel/stuart_for_senate.jpg

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 05:30 PM

Way to stick it to the Noob.

Brohm
05-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Way cool.

On the topic as to why Raiders didn't call: Maybe they hope Randy will continue to be Randy and knock NE down a notch, topping it off with the 4th rounder. Who knows :roll:

Addition by subtraction and by addition to a rival :lol:

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Where else but Green Bay.

Where else but Green Bay does your beer vender introduce herself personally at a game?
This particular woman had worked the same section for 27 years!

Where else but Green Bay. :)

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Where else but Green Bay.

Where else but Green Bay does your beer vender introduce herself personally at a game?
This particular woman had worked the same section for 27 years!

Where else but Green Bay. :)

There is a hot blonde beer vendor in my section. I dont think she had been there for 27 years though.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 05:44 PM
WAS she 27?

Scott Campbell
05-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Way cool.

On the topic as to why Raiders didn't call: Maybe they hope Randy will continue to be Randy and knock NE down a notch, topping it off with the 4th rounder. Who knows :roll:

Addition by subtraction and by addition to a rival :lol:

They might have assumed that Ted had already made his best offer.

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 05:52 PM
WAS she 27?

She may have been. Are you saying that she's been serving beer straight out of the womb?

GrnBay007
05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Are you saying that she's been serving beer straight out of the womb?

...Only in Green Bay! :P :wink:

GrnBay007
05-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm impressed! Way to get on it gbpackfan....nothing better than a man on a mission!!

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 06:10 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RashanGary
05-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the update. It sounds like Thompson low balled it.

That said, Moss isn't exactly a highly coveted player around the league. I'm not sure we missed out on much but it definitly sounds like TT lowballed it. I think he made a mistake. I think a 3rd and slightly nicer contract would ahve been well worth the risk.

RashanGary
05-14-2007, 06:15 PM
It's a mistake but if Moss is like he has been the last 3 years, it's not a huge one.

packinpatland
05-14-2007, 06:25 PM
It's a mistake but if Moss is like he has been the last 3 years, it's not a huge one.

Let's not forget.....he wasn't 'happy' in Oakland.

Brando19
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
I am NO ONE SPECIAL

http://filebox.vt.edu/j/janeel/stuart_for_senate.jpg

Hahahahaha, classic.

retailguy
05-14-2007, 07:34 PM

So, if he's like the "Moss" of Minnesota, is it a huge mistake?

The Leaper
05-14-2007, 07:41 PM
As I posted before, Moss wanted to be a Patriot

I disagree.

Moss wanted a one year contract...which Green Bay had not offered.

To go to bed one night THINKING you had it all sorted out, and wake up the next morning to find yourself wrong...it is YOUR fault.

Do what is necessary to finish the deal BEFORE you go to bed.

MadtownPacker
05-14-2007, 08:20 PM
That hella cool GBPF!! I trip out when I read about people calling and talking to Harlan. He is a real cool dude for taking the time to do that.

I can't even get a manager at WalMart on the phone. :P

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the update. It sounds like Thompson low balled it.

That said, Moss isn't exactly a highly coveted player around the league. I'm not sure we missed out on much but it definitly sounds like TT lowballed it. I think he made a mistake. I think a 3rd and slightly nicer contract would ahve been well worth the risk.

I honestly have to get you kudos here as I was worried at times you were more focused on defending TT than the truth.

Now I'll have to say some nice things about TT in return :lol:

I'd agree with your assessment; I really wanted Moss. But who knows how this will end up playing out.

Cheers,
B

RashanGary
05-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Yup, he clearly low balled it. NE Got him for nothing and we could have had him for slightly more than nothing with a more swift move.

I think he made a mistake. We'll see how the season plays out. Thompson is definitly going to start answering for the product he puts on teh field starting now.

That said, I still have confidence in the direction of the team :)

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
That hella cool GBPF!! I trip out when I read about people calling and talking to Harlan. He is a real cool dude for taking the time to do that.

I can't even get a manager at WalMart on the phone. :P

Ha ha ha. Walmart's have managers?

motife
05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
wake me when this is all over...

gbpackfan
05-14-2007, 09:22 PM
wake me when this is all over...

Set your alarm clock for 2 years, that's when TT will finally be fired.

b bulldog
05-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I think Moss used the Pack, he is where he wanted to be, time to forget about Moss.

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I think Moss used the Pack, he is where he wanted to be, time to forget about Moss.

I think you should stop raining on our parade with Moss preference to play somewhere :lol:

What else are we suppose to discuss ?

It's a bit slow in Packer world

packers11
05-14-2007, 09:38 PM

I think you should stop raining on our parade with Moss preference to play somewhere :lol:

What else are we suppose to discuss ?

It's a bit slow in Packer world

The big acquisition of FRANK WALKER! DUH! :jig:

b bulldog
05-14-2007, 09:40 PM
We can discuss ??? Good point although wouldn't you pick the Pats if you were in Moss' shoes? Watch him have a big year and than sign with the Pack next year and play like crap again.

Bretsky
05-14-2007, 09:43 PM
We can discuss ??? Good point although wouldn't you pick the Pats if you were in Moss' shoes? Watch him have a big year and than sign with the Pack next year and play like crap again.

Yes, if I was Moss I'd go to the Patriots and win a Super Bowl. Don't blame him a bit.

He may have got his wishes, but IMO we still could have had him.

b bulldog
05-14-2007, 09:46 PM
imo, HE IS WHERE HE WANTED TO BE. I think we were used but I fully expect for him to have a Huuuuuuuuge year this year.

RashanGary
05-14-2007, 10:21 PM
We lost out on Moss but I agree with bretsky that we could have had him. We would have had to out do their deal but we could have had him and the risk would have been worth it. TT low balled him, plain and simple. Moss has potential bad knees (according to Oakland who said he wouldn't get his knee checked), he is a bad guy in relation to the normal athlete and he's old. That said, there is potential to be a true SUPERSTUD and for a few mil when you have too much to spend it's worth a risk. I acctually think there is a good chance that he flops but even if he does, I still think it was worth a 3rd round pick and a couple million dollars and I feel that we could have had that if we were willing to outbid NE.

RashanGary
05-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not "freaking out" but this is his second biggest mistake after Wahle IMO. He could have kept Wahle. He could have pushed it forward to right now when we are having a hard time spending it.

Again though, these are the obvious mistakes, I still think things are going good overall. You can't be a GM and not make mistakes.

retailguy
05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
You can't be a GM and not make mistakes.

Unless your name is Mike Sherman.

Joemailman
05-14-2007, 10:41 PM
We'll never know if TT could have gotten Moss because we don't know how much New England would have countered with if TT had made a stronger offer. The way things went down, it appears New England was Moss' first choice, and would have been given an opportunity to top any offer the Packers made. The Packers, on the other hand, were not given a chance to top New England's offer.

RashanGary
05-14-2007, 11:08 PM
We'll never know if TT could have gotten Moss because we don't know how much New England would have countered with if TT had made a stronger offer. The way things went down, it appears New England was Moss' first choice, and would have been given an opportunity to top any offer the Packers made. The Packers, on the other hand, were not given a chance to top New England's offer.

I agree with this (as far as NE getting a chance) but I doubt NE would have gone much higher. Moss really isn't that coveted right now. I think we could have had him for a 3rd and a few mroe dollars. I still think Moss will flop but he is worth the risk. TT offering a 5th with the money we have, the draft picks we have and the condition of our team is definitly low balling.

I think he made a mistake and even though there is a good chance this blows up on NE, I still think it was worth the risk. Moss has a chance to be a true difference maker even though the odds are he won't.

pbmax
05-15-2007, 12:45 AM
I would like to go into the business of selling Justin and Bretsky anything they want.

I know I'll get a great return on my investment because they are both believers that after you have reached an agreed upon price, they should pay you more than you asked. Because to pay the agreed upon price is lowballing. :lol: (Unless I am missing the joke, then you can forget this paragraph)

I've never heard of a team trading during the draft getting a written agreement before the pick. The trade happens when the pick comes up on the board.

Prior to the draft is another story. If Thompson made a mistake, it was not lowballing, it was a failure to insist that the paperwork be filed on Friday. But it could be that either Moss or the Raiders refused, wanting to wait and see what might happen. Then T2 would have had a clear indication Green Bay wasn't the first choice.

But in either case, Bulldog is right, if Moss had wanted to play in Green Bay, his agent would have called back. The Packers and Favre were the stalking horse.

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 07:20 AM
I would like to go into the business of selling Justin and Bretsky anything they want.

I know I'll get a great return on my investment because they are both believers that after you have reached an agreed upon price, they should pay you more than you asked. Because to pay the agreed upon price is lowballing. :lol: (Unless I am missing the joke, then you can forget this paragraph)

I've never heard of a team trading during the draft getting a written agreement before the pick. The trade happens when the pick comes up on the board.

Prior to the draft is another story. If Thompson made a mistake, it was not lowballing, it was a failure to insist that the paperwork be filed on Friday. But it could be that either Moss or the Raiders refused, wanting to wait and see what might happen. Then T2 would have had a clear indication Green Bay wasn't the first choice.

But in either case, Bulldog is right, if Moss had wanted to play in Green Bay, his agent would have called back. The Packers and Favre were the stalking horse.

Like TT, you'd fail to close the deal :lol:

And you are fooling yourself if you don't think trades are already made before the draft, or before day 2. It's entirely possible and happens.

Wake up to find a guy you thought you had with with NE; G.M.A.F.B. !!

RashanGary
05-15-2007, 08:06 AM
I think Moss's value around the league is lower than his production would merit becuase of his attitude. We had a chance to get him for a 5th and a production based deal but with that low of a price you are leaving things open for others to swoop in. In hindsight, that is exactly what happened.

I'm a pretty big fan of the way Thompson is doing things but if you really wanted Moss, you over bid a little and keep him away from the opposition. Normally I'm not willing to overbid for the average junk you find on the UFA market but with Moss it is a gamle and I'm a bit of a gambler so I would have taken the risk to up it too a 3rd and a few more gauranteed dollars.

If you want to sell me something that I feel might be worth 3X what I'm paying, there will be a chance I bite. If you want to sell me the typical junk in the UFA market then I'll gaurantee you that you'd have a hard time getting anywhere near the inflated UFA value out of me. I'd just sign one of my own guys early for less.

gureski
05-15-2007, 08:28 AM

I disagree with this statement. We may never know whether THompson could've gotten Randy Moss but it wont be because we don't know what the counter offer could've been. Based on Favre's comments, the Packers could've had Moss. I take that to mean that Thompson had a window of opportunity, before N.E. made its push, to seal the deal. Favre was emphatic that the team could have had Moss. He was in direct communication with Moss. IF Moss had merely spurned the Packers offer because he preferred to play in N.E. than why would Favre have gotten upset at Thompson? Favre would've been pissed at Moss, not Thompson. But that's not what happened. The normally laid back Favre was fit to be tied and his anger was directed at Thompson. There is a reason for that and if you think of different motives, one logical reason is that Thompson had the chance to make the deal before N.E. got into the picture and just didn't pull the trigger. We don't know and wont know what really happened until our reporter friends work their sources and get to the bottom of this. That may never happen so we may never know the truth but I do, in my opinion, feel that Thompson had a chance to nail the deal down and blinked.

Zool
05-15-2007, 08:32 AM
This thread has been jacked.

http://www.glorifythepast.com/forums/images/smilies/jacked.gif

chewy-bacca
05-15-2007, 09:44 AM

Way to stick it to the Noob.

:lol:

pbmax
05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Of course I'd complete the deal, it would just take time as each day you would up the price you're willing to pay :lol:

And I agree that this deal SHOULD have been done before the draft, I said as much in that post.

But you can't do it if the other side won't sign the papers until the pick.

It was in the Raider's and Moss' interest to wait. The Packers could keep bidding against themselves and the Raiders still wouldn't have needed to sign.

But the best argument that the deal COULD NOT have been completed is that neither the Raiders or Moss called back. That tells you everything you need to know about his wishes. The only caveat is if T2 had already said final offer.

Like TT, you'd fail to close the deal :lol:

And you are fooling yourself if you don't think trades are already made before the draft, or before day 2. It's entirely possible and happens.

Wake up to find a guy you thought you had with with NE; G.M.A.F.B. !!

LL2
05-15-2007, 01:10 PM
It was mentioned this morning by John Clayton on ESPN that there was little chance of Moss going to GB once the Patriots entered the picture. Favre can say they could’ve had him, but the lure by a potential SB team is too strong. Favre needs to change his attitude and start working with the guys on the team and help them develop into good players. Who knows Clowney could be this years Colston? You never know. He sure has the speed at 4.36 to go down the field a grab a long bomb by Favre. My concerns are more with the fact that Favre’s throws are more heaves that end up in the opponents hands.

woodbuck27
05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
That is really something gbpackfan.

Nice scoop on the comments fr. Bob Harlan that Bus Cook wasn't Randy Moss's agent in what transpired for his move to the Pat's.

Didn't TT want the Raiders to come back if they got a better offer than his offer of a 5th Rd. pick?

If Randy Moss veto'd a trade to Grenn Bay and specified his desire to go to NE? Then why would Oakland bother calling TT back to up the anti?

Did Randy Moss have that power in his contract with Oakland?

Just a thought.

All the facts will be revealed in time. :)

Nice thread opening post gbpackfan. Way to go !! :)

GO PACK GO !!

woodbuck27
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM

I disagree with this statement. We may never know whether THompson could've gotten Randy Moss but it wont be because we don't know what the counter offer could've been. Based on Favre's comments, the Packers could've had Moss. I take that to mean that Thompson had a window of opportunity, before N.E. made its push, to seal the deal. Favre was emphatic that the team could have had Moss. He was in direct communication with Moss. IF Moss had merely spurned the Packers offer because he preferred to play in N.E. than why would Favre have gotten upset at Thompson? Favre would've been pissed at Moss, not Thompson. But that's not what happened. The normally laid back Favre was fit to be tied and his anger was directed at Thompson. There is a reason for that and if you think of different motives, one logical reason is that Thompson had the chance to make the deal before N.E. got into the picture and just didn't pull the trigger. We don't know and wont know what really happened until our reporter friends work their sources and get to the bottom of this. That may never happen so we may never know the truth but I do, in my opinion, feel that Thompson had a chance to nail the deal down and blinked.

It sure looks like sound analysis to me.

But just the facts mame. That's where we have to go.

This stuff is about as intriguing as determining the CIA's role in whatever. :)

BradStrand
05-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not "freaking out" but this is his second biggest mistake after Wahle IMO. He could have kept Wahle. He could have pushed it forward to right now when we are having a hard time spending it.

Again though, these are the obvious mistakes, I still think things are going good overall. You can't be a GM and not make mistakes.

No way... TTs biggest mistake was not defusing the Javon Walker situation early on. We wouldnt even be talking about that sack of Moss if Walker was still in GB.

Fritz
05-17-2007, 06:29 AM

Yes, if I was Moss I'd go to the Patriots and win a Super Bowl. Don't blame him a bit.

He may have got his wishes, but IMO we still could have had him.

To me, the line above in boldface is the key to this discussion. It has been well-documented that if Randy Moss does not get what he wishes, he makes sure everybody knows he's pissing on the parade until he gets what he wants (first out of Minny, now out of Oakland). So what if TT had called back, had raised the ante, had pulled the trigger? Earlier reports - prior to the draft reports - stated that Moss would renegotiate only with NE; other interested parties would have to pay the full salary. It seems to me he knew he wanted to go to NE prior to the draft - I think NE got involved only a day or two before the draft, but still before the draft began. Therefore, had TT upped the ante and brought Moss in, the same Moss who wanted to go to NE, what reason does anyone have to think that Moss would play the role of the happy camper in GB? How long before Moss was packing his bags - again?

If the dude wanted to be here, I could accept the Packers offering more than a fifth, as GBPackFan suggested Harlan said was offered. But if, as it seems, he was set on NE and no where else, then GBPackfan's comments about what Harlan said about Moss's agent make perfect sense, and the Pack would have made a mistake to try to get a guy who didn't want to be here.

Bretsky
05-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Earlier reports - prior to the draft reports - stated that Moss would renegotiate only with NE; other interested parties would have to pay the full salary

This is the part I don't buy at all

We also had a window to close the deal

I'm not sure if we should have (although you know my view), but I undoubtedly feel we could have at a reduced rate for Moss

Again, I never expected Moss, especially when I heard another team was interested.

My guess is Oakland had been dicking around what they perceived to be GB's lowballing for a couple months and had no issues sending him to NE. On that last part I have no evidence.

Fritz
05-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Earlier reports - prior to the draft reports - stated that Moss would renegotiate only with NE; other interested parties would have to pay the full salary

This is the part I don't buy at all

We also had a window to close the deal

I'm not sure if we should have (although you know my view), but I undoubtedly feel we could have at a reduced rate for Moss

Again, I never expected Moss, especially when I heard another team was interested.

My guess is Oakland had been dicking around what they perceived to be GB's lowballing for a couple months and had no issues sending him to NE. On that last part I have no evidence.

Bretsky, here's an interview question from the NE media to Moss; note in his reply he suggests that he was willing to renegotiate with NE and does not deny the suggestion in the question that, had he gone elsewhere, he would not have been willing to renegogiate. I believe this answers the question about where Moss wanted to be:

Q: We're hearing that you were willing to renegotiate your deal to come here and you may have been less willing to do that other places. If that's truth, why is that?

RM: Like I said, [the Patriots] have a massive reputation of what they stand for, and that's winning. Through the course of my career and the course of my life of playing sports, I've always tried to be a winner and go out there and compete. And by me having a chance to play with an organization [like the Patriots] with the coaching staff, with Mr. [Robert] Kraft as the owner, and the players they have in position, I didn't think that money was a big factor to me. I think over the course of my career, I've made a lot of money, and I still have money in the bank, so by me coming to an organization like the New England Patriots, why would money be a factor? I know I have to get paid something, but to have the numbers that I was going to receive, I knew something had to be done with my contract, and I didn't have a problem with it.

Bretsky
05-17-2007, 07:33 AM
I don't think there is a doubt he wanted to go to NE; if you want to be close to winning a title this is a pretty easy choice.

GrnBay007
05-17-2007, 07:55 AM
RM: Like I said, [the Patriots] have a massive reputation of what they stand for, and that's winning.

Wonder when the Packers lost that reputation. :?:

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
We lost out on Moss but I agree with bretsky that we could have had him. We would have had to out do their deal but we could have had him and the risk would have been worth it. TT low balled him, plain and simple. Moss has potential bad knees (according to Oakland who said he wouldn't get his knee checked), he is a bad guy in relation to the normal athlete and he's old. That said, there is potential to be a true SUPERSTUD and for a few mil when you have too much to spend it's worth a risk. I acctually think there is a good chance that he flops but even if he does, I still think it was worth a 3rd round pick and a couple million dollars and I feel that we could have had that if we were willing to outbid NE.

Hey.

I agree with YOU JustinHarrell . :)

Bretsky
08-15-2007, 10:56 PM

THIS THREAD IS A MUST READ FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT

HEY, HARLAN SAID WE WILL SIGN MORE; WHERE ARE THEY ???

the_idle_threat
08-16-2007, 01:16 AM

Call him and ask. :idea:

gbpackfan
08-16-2007, 07:31 AM

THIS THREAD IS A MUST READ FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT

Good question Bretsky. But rest easy, TT will sign at least one cast off before the season starts.

Jerry Tagge
08-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I called Bob Harlan today and he said he already has a subscription to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. :D