PDA

View Full Version : So now what? - Solutions Thread

gureski
05-15-2007, 02:38 PM
With the draft over and the bulk of free agency finished, the question turns to what is left that the Packers could latch on to in order to improve?

June 1st cuts are still coming so there may be some veteran players released and there are still a few players available via trade, for the right price.

What avenues do you see for Thompson? What ideas or solutions do you have at this point in time?

PLEASE, save your griping about what has happened for some other thread. I can't make you do anything but I'm asking people to try and make this thread all about solutions and ideas. I'm interested in reading ideas, going forward, for what the team can do. According to the phone call with Bob Harlan thread, Harlan stated that more players would be added before all is said and done.

I'll start the ideas...

D.Mason is/was available from Baltimore. It's possible that he is a guy that could be had for a mid to lower round draft pick. I don't know if he really adds the dimension that the team needs right now (Mason is more of a possession guy) but he's a bonafide NFL WR that could certainly look good with Favre throwing to him. I'm not sold on this move but it's a valid idea.

Another possibility, though somewhat of a long-shot right now, is Larry Johnson. If Johnson and the Chiefs get locked into a contract battle than there is no reason to think that it couldn't potentially end with Johnson being traded. The Packers have the money to take on Johnson and meet his salary demands. It would be semi-fitting for the Packers to finally catch a break by picking up someone else's underpaid and disgruntled player.

So, that's the idea. What do you have to offer in the arena of ideas, Packer fans?

woodbuck27
05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
How much $$$$ do we have below the CAP at this time?

Can we start there? :)

GO PACKERS !!

Brando19
05-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I think the greatest thing to do right now is trade for Larry Johnson. He'd help the offense out extremely well. Keyshawn Johnson would be an ok possibility. He'd help out alot in the red zone. The Michael Turner talks have died down, but he'd be awesome to trade for. Jerry Porter of the Raiders would be another WR we could look at. He's got some issues like Moss, but he's damn good.
I don't see any of this happening, but any one of them would be good.

prsnfoto
05-15-2007, 03:17 PM
How much $$$$ do we have below the CAP at this time?

Can we start there? :)

GO PACKERS !!

They will have about 9 million after signing the rookies, unless something earth shattering happens next year they will have about 40 billion to spend I can't wait to see how cheapskate manages that money. Sorry million, same thing when it is monopoly money anyways. As far as help goes there are few options I for one would find out what kind of money faneca wants, maybe Dillon, I realize that won't help with the youth movement but, I think Clifton and Tauscher are still elite, Wells is average, putting another mean MFer in there might actually allow us not to use max protect, and Dillon is insurance.

gureski
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
The fact the team has so much cap room is why we're a team that could take on a Briggs or L.Johnson, should a trade occur. We're one of the few teams that can still take on a big salary. I think that cap room is one of the reasons why a nice acquisition via trade or June 1 cut is a possibility. What teams are closes to the cap or over right now? Anyone know? Maybe we can look at their rosters and make an educated guess on who may be cut?

MadScientist
05-15-2007, 03:25 PM
First they need to see what they have when the rookies mix with the vets at the minicamp. Usually the ones with real talent stand out right away (e.g. Jennings last year).

pittstang5
05-15-2007, 03:54 PM
I think the greatest thing to do right now is trade for Larry Johnson. He'd help the offense out extremely well. Keyshawn Johnson would be an ok possibility. He'd help out alot in the red zone. The Michael Turner talks have died down, but he'd be awesome to trade for. Jerry Porter of the Raiders would be another WR we could look at. He's got some issues like Moss, but he's damn good.
I don't see any of this happening, but any one of them would be good.

I think you may be on to something here, well, at least with two of the guys you mentioned - Turner and Johnson. I love the idea, however, the draft is over and I would think that if TT was going to swing a trade for either of those guys, it would have happened then. Unless you're talking a trade involving players, I doubt TT is going to shell out any draft picks for next year.

You think KC would take Fergie, Barry, Cole and Herron for Johnson? :wink:

retailguy
05-15-2007, 03:59 PM
So now what?

Simple. Let the young guys play.

Anyone who could've made an impact is gone. Long gone. Yeah, a couple of guys will hit the market June 1. Lets just say for the purposes of argument it's a half-decent RB. We need one (many would argue), and Tennessee needs one. One could also claim that Buffalo could use one, if for nothing else for insurance on Lynch. Do you really believe that Thompson would win a bidding war? Didn't think so.

You name the player. You name the position. If they're quality, they'll be some demand. This offseason obtaining players who are in demand has been difficult. To date, I count ZERO. You could also make the case that last season it was largely the case as well.

Will we sign players? Sure. They'll be able to fill some spots with depth. That's good, I guess.

Ted has committed us to building around the "youth" movement. These guys need to play. That's the ONLY way we improve, and the ONLY way we know if the young guys can cut it.

It won't be pretty at times, (probably most of the first six weeks), but that's just the way it is. We just need to live with it, root for them, and adjust our expectations for it. That's what Brett is doing. He just got a late start over what some of us here have been doing for weeks. Favre believed Moss was coming here, I believed Ahman Green was staying. We both got disappointed. It happens.

Let the young guys PLAY. :cow:

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Simple. Let the young guys play.

Exactly. These young guys were drafted for a reason. Let's let them compete for the jobs............let's see what they can do.

Joemailman
05-15-2007, 04:32 PM
I agree. Let the young guys play. There just aren't as many guys being released these days due to salary cap concerns, because the cap has gone up so much in recent years. Cornerback is one area where TT might be looking for more depth, especially if Blackmon doesn't show much in the mini-camps.

Spaulding
05-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Good thought for a thread but I don't see how TT would even entertain the idea of signing LJ or Turner now that he's spent a 2nd round pick on Jackson. The whole basis for the zone blocking scheme is the ability to have replaceable lineman and running backs. Linemen that are smaller and mobile that most teams deem a liability in the power running game and running backs that don't need to be talented, just quick and vision for that one cut.

Given we have a glut of wide receivers to evaulate (Martin, Holliday, and Brewster from last year and rookies Jones and Clowney from this year) why would TT pickup an aged veteran when it would prevent the growth of a young player and provide little in the way of overall improvement now that Moss and Jackson (really the only two WR FA's I'd have wanted) are already traded.

TE is the only position I could see snagging a veteran if available. Then again maybe TT and M3 see something in the youngsters we have given they they kept four on the roster last year and only Martin is gone.

Our O-line is already pretty much set and we have some depth if needed should Coston step up Barbe show something.

Full back and running back appear pretty set if Hall's conversion goes okay and Jackson and Morency split carries with Pope/Beach/Wynn hopefully beating out Herron.

Our D-line looks solid and deep and unless in the cuts a SAM becomes available to push Pops I don't see any signings here.

The only place I see a FA coming in would be cornerback as after Harris and Woodson, Walker and Blackmon are unknown qualities and Dendy has limited upside.

Sorry to be a buzz kill but TT likes the roster the way it is for good or bad. I don't see any new FA signings that will ignite interest. Might as well load up the fridge with beer and look to restock often for what will be a polarizing - no pun intended :) year.

The Shadow
05-15-2007, 05:31 PM
I would let the team evolve and see where we are.
A great deal of talented youth has been added; it's time to see
how far they've come.
Keshawn Johnson would add little. Better to see what the young receivers can do.
A backfield load shared by Morency & Jackson just might be very good - who knows?
I would certainly keep alert to future cuts, but I would not sign players simply to 'add players'. That would be counterproductive.
The minicamps will give the coaches an idea of what they've got; future moves will be based on those evaluations.

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 05:39 PM
With TT's history I highly doubt he's giving up any draft picks for players.

I too say let the bodies play; we had our chances and the scraps are left.
We aren't winning a Super Bowl anytime soon so we might as well see if the young guys can get us to or past mediocre.

b bulldog
05-15-2007, 05:48 PM
sHOULDN'T THAT INCLUDE THE qb POSITION?

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 06:00 PM
This may sound crazy, but I'm fine with the RBs we have now. Jackson and Morency will do just fine. Morency looked promising last season and has supposedly retuned his body. Jackson could be this year's Joseph Addai.

Packnut
05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Mason's not a bad idea if he becomes available. We need some kind of insurance policy on Driver should the law of averages catch up with him.

RashanGary
05-15-2007, 06:12 PM
This may sound crazy, but I'm fine with the RBs we have now. Jackson and Morency will do just fine. Morency looked promising last season and has supposedly retuned his body. Jackson could be this year's Joseph Addai.

It's going ot be an exciting season. I'm really looking forward to seeing these young guys play.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 06:13 PM

He could also be this years JJ Arrington.

RashanGary
05-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Mason's not a bad idea if he becomes available. We need some kind of insurance policy on Driver should the law of averages catch up with him.

I always thought Mason was undrrated. He was, at one point anyway, a dynamic player. I don't know how he plays now but he is a lot like Driver IMO.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Only if we trade for Tom Brady. :D

Packnut
05-15-2007, 06:15 PM

I always thought Mason was undrrated. He was, at one point anyway, a dynamic player. I don't know how he plays now but he is a lot like Driver IMO.

Well the bonus with him is he won't run the wrong route.

RashanGary
05-15-2007, 06:16 PM

Who runs the wrong routes?

motife
05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't think there was a problem until Favre aired his pique in his usual careless way.

The problem is Favre's big mouth. And the solution is for him to keep it shut.

I see the Packers biggest problem is the lack of Tight Ends. David Martin was not the answer anyway, just a big tease.

If Bernard Jackson or Vernand Morency can't average 4+ yards per carry, then the running game will be a nullity. But we don't know anything yet.

Greg Jennings could be another Anquan Boldin.

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 06:24 PM

He could also be this years JJ Arrington.

That'll be Marshawn....

retailguy
05-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't think there was a problem until Favre aired his pique in his usual careless way.

The problem is Favre's big mouth. And the solution is for him to keep it shut.

I see the Packers biggest problem is the lack of Tight Ends. David Martin was not the answer anyway, just a big tease.

If Bernard Jackson or Vernand Morency can't average 4+ yards per carry, then the running game will be a nullity. But we don't know anything yet.

Greg Jennings could be another Anquan Boldin.

So we all just need to be "good little soldiers?"

What if, Ted and Brett had a deal, and Ted didn't honor it? Should Brett shut up then?

Oh, and it's BRANDON, not Bernard. If they average 4+ yards per carry that'll be VERY successful and will mean that the line is playing WELL.

I agree about the running game... It's not likely to be very good, especially early in the season.

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Now, why you start'n trouble? :wink:

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Now, why you start'n trouble? :wink:

Because that is what makes this board so much fun. :wink:

retailguy
05-15-2007, 06:28 PM
One more thing. TE is not a major problem at the moment. Doesn't matter who the tight end is, as long as he can block.

I see no evidence that MAX PROTECT is going anywhere at least early in the year. If the TE is blocking, it don't matter if they have "hands of steel" or not.

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Actually, I meant that to go with this post :oops:

quote="b bulldog"]sHOULDN'T THAT INCLUDE THE qb POSITION?[/quote]

What you said Ballhawk, was ok :)

retailguy
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Actually, I meant that to go with this post :oops:

quote="b bulldog"]sHOULDN'T THAT INCLUDE THE qb POSITION?[/quote]

Don't worry about him - He's Tom Brady's little brother... or sister. We're not sure which one. :P

motife
05-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Well, it would be preferable.

Who enjoys a backseat driver/know it all?

Terrell Owens
Keyshawn Johnson
Randy Moss, etc.

Does Brett tolerate backseat drivers in the huddle or does he just tell them to STFU?

I heard something about there's never some letter, I forget what it was, in some word.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Well, it would be preferable.

Who enjoys a backseat driver/know it all?

Terrell Owens
Keyshawn Johnson
Randy Moss, etc.

Does Brett tolerate backseat drivers in the huddle or does he just tell them to STFU?

I heard something about there's never some letter, I forget what it was, in some word.

So, in Brett's case, what do you do when you KNOW, based on 17 years experience that the bus is likely going the wrong way?

Ride along, or point it out?

Seems to me that he pointed it out, and got some clarification, and then re-iterated he's back on the plan, rowing in the same direction, but still frustrated.

How's that not fair and reasonable?

motife
05-15-2007, 06:40 PM
How's that not fair and reasonable?
whining to the press behind your team and coach's back is "fair and reasonable"?

I don't think so. A "fair and reasonable" person would express his greivances privately and directly. (see below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27yZzsvdCo

I'm not Emily Post, but I can't imagine any mature, prudent person (i.e. a gentleman) doing otherwise.

http://www.thegline.com/dvd-of-the-week/images/2003/big115.jpg

Packnut
05-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Who runs the wrong routes?

There were more than a few times it happened. The most notorious one was Jennings in the 2nd Viking game.

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 07:15 PM

What if, Ted and Brett had a deal, and Ted didn't honor it? Should Brett shut up then?

Brett's statement on the Packer website yesterday practically amounted to a retraction/apology. I read it to mean:

Dear Ted,

I was very, very bad. I will not be bad anymore. Please forgive my emotional outburst.

Your pal,

Brett

retailguy
05-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Brett's statement on the Packer website yesterday practically amounted to a retraction/apology. I read it to mean:

Dear Ted,

I was very, very bad. I will not be bad anymore. Please forgive my emotional outburst.

Your pal,

Brett

Maybe it was:

Dear Ted:

I screwed with you again, and got the fans in an uproar and flooded the switchboard with calls - AGAIN. Will you ever learn? They love me, and tolerate you.

Get me Keyshawn, or, I'll be a little less politically correct next time.

Also, you'd better be damn sure your "young" guys work out, because if they don't, I'll ride off into the sunset telling the press, I'm leaving.... BECAUSE OF YOU!

lol. :?:

packers11
05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
haha Retail ... I LIKE THAT VERSION :)

Rastak
05-15-2007, 07:57 PM

It's also extremely acurate. Brett has Ted by the short hairs....

retailguy
05-15-2007, 07:59 PM

Without a doubt. Brett can DOOM Ted's career depending on what he writes for his farewell address....

Not saying he WILL, but he COULD.

Right or wrong, he's a legend. People will give him the benefit of the doubt.

packers11
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Farewell TED...

YOU FU**ED UP EVERYTHING!

PS : I LOVE YOU PACKER FANS!

- Favre

That would be the funniest statement ever... I would pay all the money in my bank account to watch Ted's face as he hears the speech...

motife
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM
If the Packers win the Super Bowl this year, I think a few of you AND Brett Favre will owe an apology to the mastermind of the Packer "brain trust".

Also.. you're all making Tank look like some Biblical Isaiah.. Are you SURE that's what you want?

possible future headline :

TED THOMPSON'S TEAM TAMES PATRIOTS IN SUPER BOWL - MOSS HELD TO ZERO CATCHES - BRANDON JACKSON AND VERNAND MORENCY BOTH OVER 100 YARDS - ALLEN BARBRE LEADS WAY - JAMES JONES AND DAVID CLOWNEY ALSO HAVE 100 YARD GAMES - JUSTIN HARRELL BREAKS REGGIE WHITE'S RECORD WITH 5 SACKS OF TOM BRADY - AARON ROUSE HAS 4 INTERCEPTIONS KNOCKS MOSS, BRADY AND MARONEY UNCONSCIOUS ALL ON THE SAME PLAY

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Without a doubt. Brett can DOOM Ted's career depending on what he writes for his farewell address....

Not saying he WILL, but he COULD.

Right or wrong, he's a legend. People will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Some people. He caught plenty of flack for his latest gaffe.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Ok, how about this one?

Dear Packer Fans,

These past 17 years have been the most wonderful years of my life. What a team we had! I long for those days, to the point that I'm just not ready to give it up. My body could take another season or two, but, we're not that close to contending. Building with youth takes time - time that I JUST don't have.

I'd have considered staying for another season or two with a slightly larger veteran presence, but, I babysat for some of my linemen. There is no one to hunt with. There is no one left who has ever played in the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl. Heck, 2/3rds of the guys have never played on an NFL team with a winning record.

I wish you well, Green Bay, you've been very good to me. We got you one Super Bowl trophy during my years, and I will always wish we could have given it one more shot in my last couple of years.

Never forget me!

Brett.

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Some people. He caught plenty of flack for his latest gaffe

I'm not so sure about that.

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 08:19 PM
My body could take another season or two, but, we're not that close to contending.

Dear Brett,

F#$% you, you little quitter,

AJ Hawk

Rastak
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Brett, what are you doing tonight?

Love,

Ted.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
If the Packers win the Super Bowl this year, I think a few of you AND Brett Favre will owe an apology to the mastermind of the Packer "brain trust".

I would gratefully offer the ENTIRE forum an apology for a measely playoff berth. Super Bowl? Hell, cartwheels in the street. Without question.

Also.. you're all making Tank look like some Biblical Isaiah.. Are you SURE that's what you want?

Really? How. Clue me in. Isn't your "blind faith" really closer to the same thing as Tank's "blind dis-loyalty", just in reverse?

From my perspective it's just as stupid.

motife
05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
maybe, after a year or two of Aaron Rodgers, we'll even forget Brett's jersey number. (The following signed jersy is available for purchase for $355.30, marked down from $374.00. Check the link. p.s. It's "certified" authentic.)

http://www.authenticsportscollectibles.com/store/aaronrodgershandsignedgreenbayp-p-4886.html

http://www.authenticsportscollectibles.com/store/images/dud43930-L.jpg

An Aaron Rodgers signed helmet is also available, for the fan who wants a COMPLETE collection

http://www.fantasyfootballchampionship.com/images/weekly_prizes/Aaron_Rodgers_helmet.jpg

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Doesn't he know how to write his whole name?

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 08:27 PM
.....and I will always wish we could have given it one more shot in my last couple of years..

You mean like that shot he took against Philly in the overtime playoff loss? I guess that one was Ted's fault too.

I think he's had a spectacular career despite some of the dumb stuff he's said. But some of you act like Favre would have been a good role model for Jesus.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 08:27 PM
maybe, after a year or two of Aaron Rodgers, we'll even forget Brett's jersey number. (The following signed jersy is available for purchase for $355.30, marked down from $374.00. Check the link. p.s. It's "certified" authentic.)

http://www.authenticsportscollectibles.com/store/aaronrodgershandsignedgreenbayp-p-4886.html

Who said I was an Aaron Rodgers fan? Who said I was anti-Ted Thompson?

I've been very clear about what I think of Ted Thompson... You've got the wrong guy.

I'm disappointed in his short term plan. I think we could've competed better this year than we will with these young guys. I think Brett could've kept us competitive with "marginal" talent.

Luck can work. We saw it with the 2001 Patriots. We saw it with the 2006 Steelers. It can happen.

We could've developed 2/3rds of the young guys with a few veterans that give better odds for a more competitive team.

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I think he's had a spectacular career despite some of the dumb stuff he's said. But some of you act like Favre would have been a good role model for Jesus.

MLK, Ghandi, Mother Theresa.............maybe, but not Jesus.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
.....and I will always wish we could have given it one more shot in my last couple of years..

You mean like that shot he took against Philly in the overtime playoff loss? I guess that one was Ted's fault too.

PERSPECTIVE SCOTT, PERSPECTIVE.

I was offering an ALTERNATIVE to Brett sneaking back into the hovel.

I don't think he was a saint. I think the MAJORITY of fans do though.

You used to be the "King" of satire. My how the mighty have fallen. :wink:

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Maybe I'm acting like you trying to defend Sherman.

packinpatland

PERSPECTIVE SCOTT, PERSPECTIVE.

I was offering an ALTERNATIVE to Brett sneaking back into the hovel.

I don't think he was a saint. I think the MAJORITY of fans do though.

He's just having an off night...........never fear, he hasn't fallen far.

motife
Isn't your "blind faith" really closer to the same thing as Tank's "blind dis-loyalty", just in reverse?

I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek here. ;)

But.. is all the current ruckus really particularly helpful, everyone running around upset all of a sudden when things were just fine, relatively speaking, a couple days ago?

Like it or not, Ted is methodically installing his "vision" for the team. I'm not blindly loyal to Ted Thompson, but I'm ALWAYS optimistic, hopeful and patient. Not just with the Packers.

I don't care who the Packers play, or where, I always think they have a chance before the game starts. (maybe not in Indy, right away.) Nobody in the NFL is THAT good. The better the Packers defense is, the more that will be proven also.

:cow: .

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 08:35 PM

depends who is the best QB

I'm arguing against any more free agent reaches.

Do we have a young promising QB and we are also considering signing a vet to displace him ?

Or are you trying to start trouble............

P.S....no need to answer

retailguy
05-15-2007, 08:37 PM

Maybe I'm acting like you trying to defend Sherman.

Good one!. I'd give this a "B", but with the earlier posts, best I can do is a "C".

:twisted: :P

motife
05-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Doesn't he know how to write his whole name?

I noticed that. Maybe the "whole name" version is extra over the initiialed.

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 08:39 PM

TED THOMPSON'S TEAM TAMES PATRIOTS IN SUPER BOWL - MOSS HELD TO ZERO CATCHES - BRANDON JACKSON AND VERNAND MORENCY BOTH OVER 100 YARDS - ALLEN BARBRE LEADS WAY - JAMES JONES AND DAVID CLOWNEY ALSO HAVE 100 YARD GAMES - JUSTIN HARRELL BREAKS REGGIE WHITE'S RECORD WITH 5 SACKS OF TOM BRADY - AARON ROUSE HAS 4 INTERCEPTIONS KNOCKS MOSS, BRADY AND MARONEY UNCONSCIOUS ALL ON THE SAME PLAY

whatever drug you are using

Plz send me some :wink:

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 08:41 PM

http://www.authenticsportscollectibles.com/store/images/dud43930-L.jpg

you sure it isn't $ 3.55 ?

retailguy
05-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Isn't your "blind faith" really closer to the same thing as Tank's "blind dis-loyalty", just in reverse?

I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek here. ;)

But.. is all the current ruckus really particularly helpful, everyone running around upset all of a sudden when things were just fine, relatively speaking, a couple days ago?

Like it or not, Ted is methodically installing his "vision" for the team. I'm not blindly loyal to Ted Thompson, but I'm ALWAYS optimistic, hopeful and patient. Not just with the Packers.

I don't care who the Packers play, or where, I always think they have a chance before the game starts. (maybe not in Indy, right away.) Nobody in the NFL is THAT good. The better the Packers defense is, the more that will be proven also.

:cow: .

Well, I agree about the defense, to a point.

But, if Favre is running for his life, Bubba is "max-protecting" all year, and the two back are running into the pile, we're kind of screwed.

My concern with this team is two-fold. Too many players with incredible talent but little experience, they won't likely put it "all together" at the same time, and second, I saw very little that suggests that the line will be "markedly" better. It has to be for Ted's plan to work in 2007. I just don't see it.

If I'm wrong, I'll humbly apologize. If I'm not, I'll rub your nose in it for the entire next offseason... :wink: :P

motife
05-15-2007, 08:48 PM
If I'm wrong, I'll humbly apologize. If I'm not, I'll rub your nose in it for the entire next offseason... :wink: :P

you'll be able to test my theories early.

I'm predicting 16-0 and a Super Bowl win. And 15 Pro Bowlers.

motife
05-15-2007, 08:49 PM
you sure it isn't $ 3.55 ?

I wouldn't want that charge $355.30 showing up on my credit card statement in divorce court.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 08:55 PM

you'll be able to test my theories early.

I'm predicting 16-0 and a Super Bowl win. And 15 Pro Bowlers.

Well, I'm sure the 72 Dolphins are quaking in their boots. :wink:

I'm predicting 0-6 or 1-5 at the bye week, with a resurgence later in the season, IF AND ONLY IF, the confidence of the OL is not shot by then.

We'll be able to test my theory just as quick as yours. :x

Merlin
05-15-2007, 08:58 PM
I think it will be an exciting season to watch, full of ups and downs. Our defense should come together well since we are returning everyone. The offense will be interesting. It will be interesting to watch Favre impale "insert name here" with the ball. Favre brings excitement to the game so even if they aren't winning, it's always fun to watch him play. We need about 4 players to step up on offense and have outstanding seasons. DD will get his but he will have to work for it because he will be doubled up all the time so I don't consider him in that equation. DD is a stud and nothing he isn't used to. Favre "should" have an outstanding year if anyone can catch the ball in the red zone. Running backs, who knows. Morency is good enough in spot duty, but can he do it every week?

I hope our defense can score because I see a real problem with that without at least 4 "younger" players playing lights out mistake free football.

bbbffl66
05-15-2007, 10:21 PM

Where can I get whatever it is you are taking? Is it prescription or off the street?

The Shadow
05-15-2007, 10:26 PM
It's all about the journey, not the destination.
Relax and enjoy the ride.

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 10:37 PM
It's all about the journey, not the destination.
Relax and enjoy the ride.

I'm on the turtle's back as he's crossing the highway toward a few more wins :lol:

gureski
05-15-2007, 11:34 PM
I think the team has a need for a power back or a short-yardage guy. I'm not sure if Dillon could do that for us. He's a possibility. Did Zach Crockett get dumped in Oakland, if I'm not mistaken? He's always been a solid short-yardage guy. The team needs a power guy to compliment Morency and Jackson.

Does anyone know the salary cap status of the NFL teams right now so we can guess as to which teams will be looking to dump a guy or two after June 1?

gureski
05-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Though this thread never took on the personality that I hoped it would, it did bring one surprise from many of you. It is very apparent from comments made that many of you, who have been amongst the teams harshest critics over the past 3 months, are now advocating doing nothing or next to nothing from this point forward in 2007.

I find that fascinating. It's fascinating that people could be so hungry for movement and activity and so fast to say that everything was a failure (remember some people were calling the entire 2007 season doomed after 5 days of free agency) and then turn around and advocate doing nothing now. Yeah, the big name free agents are gone but there is still a lot of off-season left and players available that could improve the team. Regardless if Thompson does anything or not, as fans we should have some ideas of what we'd like to see done. If we, as fans, have no ideas (at this point) then how can we really criticize anything Thompson does from this point forward? YOu can bitch about what's happened yesterday until you're blue in the face but how can you bitch about anything that happens today and going forward for the rest of this year if you have no opinion right now of what the team should do? All your comments would be after the fact.

For me, I think the team needs a short yardage back. They need to get one or develop one real damn fast. I'd like to see what the June 1 cuts bring in the form of TE's. Is there anything out there that could possibly help the team? The O-line could use a veteran back up. They have a lot of young guys that are green and would be cutting their teeth if they were called on to perform in 2007 (due to injury). The return game needs big-time improvement and though I wonder what K.Robinson and Blackmon can bring to the table, I question out loud whether it's possible to re-acquire A.Rossum from Atlanta? I'd like to see that and it's not that unrealistic that Rossum could find himself in a different city when the 2007 season starts. The return game could have a huge impact on this team's fortunes in 2007 by making it easier for the offense to score. Winning the battle of field position will be huge to the success of this team.

So, that's my take. I DO want to see the team continue to improve towards 2007. I think there are still some ways the team can get better despite the fact that almost every name player is off the board. Solid role players are just as important to the success of a season as starters and name players are. A lot of those type of guys are still available. There are still potential trades out there in which the Packers are a prime candidate to be involved in. Larry Johnson is an extreme example but it makes my point. If Johnson or even M.Turner were brought in than fans would explode with optimism. It's not too late for the team to get better. As I, and others have said all along, you can't judge the entire off-season until it's over. There is still time left. Why give up hope?

Bretsky
05-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Though this thread never took on the personality that I hoped it would, it did bring one surprise from many of you. It is very apparent from comments made that many of you, who have been amongst the teams harshest critics over the past 3 months, are now advocating doing nothing or next to nothing from this point forward in 2007.

IMO the quality is gone; many with high expectations have lowered them.

I've been pretty outspoken is exact suggestions of what I hoped our GM would do; he's went a completely different direction and I'm fine with that now.

Is TT giving up draft picks for anything ? He values them like a newborn. Unlikely.

My morale is somewhat defeated for 2007

retailguy
05-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Guerski,

I think this team need A LOT of things. I also know, based on the past six weeks, that those things are likely not on the agenda to be filled.

I've stated over and over that I think some veteran back-up types will be brought in as insurance. There is very little left in the way of starter material. So, why bother? Really?

If you are going to develop the young guys, DEVELOP them by letting them play. If they can't cut it, better to find out in 2007 rather than screwing around with them for multiple seasons ala Torrance Marshall.

You can ridicule me all you want, however, my perspective has been fairly consistent throughout the offseason. I stated at the beginning of free agency that I wanted a few free agents on offense. I still do, however, the type of guys I wanted to bring into Green Bay are no longer available.

I wanted Green to return to give time to properly train his replacement whom I felt should be drafted. I wanted a quality 2nd or 3rd receiver that would give us a "formidable" 3 receiver set. I was ambivalent on a TE, one who could catch better than Bubba would have been nice, however, if Max-Protect continues it DOESN'T matter. The 4th WR will do fine in that case. Finally, another fullback who is equivalent to, or better than, Miree would've helped.

On the defensive side a safety would've been nice, but not a necessity. As much as I hate Manuel, it could be said it is not a priority.

You can ridicule me all you want, all posters have to do is read your history and mine, and they can see who has "moderated" their position.

At this point, the "difference makers" for 2007 are largely not available. We've got who we've got. We MIGHT get ONE MORE GUY who will make a meaningful impact in 2007. It's not too likely.

51 or 52 guys who will be Green Bay Packers on September 1st, are already on the roster. These are the guys we're going to root for in 2007. What a wild ride it's likely to be....

retailguy
05-16-2007, 08:22 AM

You just need more kool-aid. Justin Harrell stole all of mine. Go talk with him. :P

It's really still 3 1/2 months until some meaningful football. How will we ever make it? <sigh>

Scott Campbell
05-16-2007, 08:27 AM

You just need more kool-aid. Justin Harrell stole all of mine. Go talk with him. :P

It's really still 3 1/2 months until some meaningful football. How will we ever make it? <sigh>

Misery is overrated.

PackerBlues
05-16-2007, 08:43 AM

I find that fascinating. It's fascinating that people could be so hungry for movement and activity and so fast to say that everything was a failure (remember some people were calling the entire 2007 season doomed after 5 days of free agency) and then turn around and advocate doing nothing now. Yeah, the big name free agents are gone but there is still a lot of off-season left and players available that could improve the team. Regardless if Thompson does anything or not, as fans we should have some ideas of what we'd like to see done. If we, as fans, have no ideas (at this point) then how can we really criticize anything Thompson does from this point forward? YOu can bitch about what's happened yesterday until you're blue in the face but how can you bitch about anything that happens today and going forward for the rest of this year if you have no opinion right now of what the team should do? All your comments would be after the fact.

For me, I think the team needs a short yardage back. They need to get one or develop one real damn fast. I'd like to see what the June 1 cuts bring in the form of TE's. Is there anything out there that could possibly help the team? The O-line could use a veteran back up. They have a lot of young guys that are green and would be cutting their teeth if they were called on to perform in 2007 (due to injury). The return game needs big-time improvement and though I wonder what K.Robinson and Blackmon can bring to the table, I question out loud whether it's possible to re-acquire A.Rossum from Atlanta? I'd like to see that and it's not that unrealistic that Rossum could find himself in a different city when the 2007 season starts. The return game could have a huge impact on this team's fortunes in 2007 by making it easier for the offense to score. Winning the battle of field position will be huge to the success of this team.

So, that's my take. I DO want to see the team continue to improve towards 2007. I think there are still some ways the team can get better despite the fact that almost every name player is off the board. Solid role players are just as important to the success of a season as starters and name players are. A lot of those type of guys are still available. There are still potential trades out there in which the Packers are a prime candidate to be involved in. Larry Johnson is an extreme example but it makes my point. If Johnson or even M.Turner were brought in than fans would explode with optimism. It's not too late for the team to get better. As I, and others have said all along, you can't judge the entire off-season until it's over. There is still time left. Why give up hope?

While I am not exactly jumping on the TT bandwagon, there is not much left to fight for, May as well join Ted for at least one more year. After Thompson selected Harrell, I held out hope that the reason he did it was because he already had Moss all but signed. When I realized that Thompson was still a dirty, underhanded, tightwad, I, just like Favre, let out a few dozen emotional outbursts. Now, all we have to hope for is the June 1st cuts for veteran help. While there is a slight chance that somebody worth getting may be cut, the chance of Ted busting out the checkbook, or getting into a bidding war with anyone willing to spend more than $9.95 plus tax.......is even more slight.

Until the season starts though, nothing will suprise me. Thompson has made it through another draft, his supporters are still looking at the Future Packers with their Time Machine, and my Loyalty will always be with Brett Favre.

Bretsky
05-16-2007, 08:55 AM

Note to Justin:

Please send kool aide to Fort Atkinson

wist43
05-16-2007, 08:55 AM

IMO the quality is gone; many with high expectations have lowered them.

I've been pretty outspoken is exact suggestions of what I hoped our GM would do; he's went a completely different direction and I'm fine with that now.

Is TT giving up draft picks for anything ? He values them like a newborn. Unlikely.

At this point, there really isn't anything that TT can do... there aren't any quality players on the market.

June 1st cuts may put a few mid-level guys out there, but TT won't get into a bidding contest for any of them, and given the number of teams that have needs and money (TT has money, but doesn't care about needs) - I don't see any help coming from the June 1st cuts either. Maybe a couple of minimum wage guys, but that's about it.

Scott Campbell
05-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Some people. He caught plenty of flack for his latest gaffe

I'm not so sure about that.

Brat Favre?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070516&sportCat=nfl

I know I've seen plenty of others chastising his move, though can't remember off the top of my head where they all were.