PDA

View Full Version : A new understanding of Ted Thompson.

PackerBlues
05-15-2007, 03:55 PM
My first reaction to our 1'st round draft pick in 2007 mirrored my reaction to our 1'st round draft pick in 2005: WTF????

My line of thought at the end of the 2007 draft : Does this idiot realize that Brett Favre DID NOT retire and is in fact still our starting QB??

I really just could not understand what in the hell Thompson was thinking. Considering 2005 was the worst collapse from one year to the next in franchise history, I would have thought that Offense would have taken the priority during the off-season this year.

But then I read this quote from Thompson made during an interview with Bob McGinn in July of 2006, wich really helps me understand Teds way of thinking in Regards to offense...........

When asked how he was going to put a sufficient amount of points on the board, Thompson replied :

"One of the good things about a, quote-unquote, West Coast offense is you can put people in and they can perform even though you don't know what their names are".

Now everything has become so much clearer.

Upon taking over in GB, one of Ted Thompson's first decisions in 2005,was to cut ties with starting guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera. Thompson then showed us all why he hates free agency by picking up FA guards Matt O'Dwyer and Adrian Klemm to make up for the loss of Wahle and Rivera. O'Dwyer was cut during training camp and Klemm was benched towards the end of the season. OOPS! (Lucky for Packer fans everywhere, Brett Favre can still throw a few accurate passes while running for his life!)

Following up on the success he had with filling gaping holes with "names you dont know" in 2005, Thompson again impressed Packer fans everywhere in 2006 when he elected not to retain kicker Ryan Longwell and center Mike Flanagan. Longwell was replaced by Dave Rayner, a free agent picked up off of waivers from the Colts. He hasnt exactly been all that impressive, wich may be why Thompson used another one of his precious draft picks on another kicker this year. As for Flanagan, his back problems made his replacement inevitable. His position was filled 'eventually' by Scott Wells, who was drafted with a seventh-round compensatory pick (251st overall) by none other than (SUPRISE) Mike Sherman. To his credit, not only has Wells done a fine job at center, but he has also filled in at both guard positions when needed.

It was also in 2006 that Thompson traded away Mike Shermans very first draft pick from 2002, taken 20'th overall, Javon Walker. Easily the best offensive player taken in the first round by the Packers since Sterling Sharpe, who was picked 7'th overall in 1988. I should also mention here that Sherman moved up from the 28'th spot in the draft to grab Walker. To do that, he traded first round pics with Seattle, and swapped our 2'nd round pick for Seattle's 5'th round pick.

"I wanted to make sure that we got a pick that I was really going to be excited about," Sherman said after the selection. "The second round is a valuable pick and that took a lot of forethought to be able to give that away . . . (but) I thought the options for the Green Bay Packers were better to be able to move up and get a player that I really feel confident in than to wait around and see what we could get in the second (round)."

Thompson traded Walker to Denver for their 2nd round pick, and then immediately traded that pick to the Falcons for three picks — a second-rounder (47th overall), third rounder (93rd) and fifth-rounder (148th). Overall, you could say that we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2002 for a 5th in 2002 and a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th in 2006. Or another way to look at it would be to say that we gave up Walker for complete crap, as none of those picks ever amounted to anything.

This year, we have already seen a starting TE, RB, and FB let go. Their positions filled by more "names we dont know". Lucky for us, the Packers use the West Coast Offense, and Ted knows how to re-stock lost talent.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/favrebus.jpg

The Shadow
05-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I like -and support - Thompson's personnel decisions.
The Packer foundation needed to be rebuilt, and it's being done.

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
TT is doing it right.

If only there was somewhere I could buy a damn "TT in '08" bumper.

RashanGary
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm pretty happy with TT too.

:wink:

Packnut
05-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Thompson has made several mistakes and he's also made some solid moves. Truth is he's batting .500 but this ain't baseball. He has to stop being scared and so afraid that he's gonna screw up by taking a few chances. If not, we're looking at another long non-play-off drought.

RashanGary
05-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Thompson has made several mistakes and he's also made some solid moves. Truth is he's batting .500 but this ain't baseball. He has to stop being scared and so afraid that he's gonna screw up by taking a few chances. If not, we're looking at another long non-play-off drought.

What are you going to say if we make the playoffs?

Packnut
05-15-2007, 06:29 PM

Man, I'd love to wager with you on that one, but I never bet against the G&G. Besides, like I've stated 1000 times, I hope my evaluation is wrong, but I've been watching this game for over 40 years now and ya still gotta score points. Wishing and hoping won't make it happen. We still have no TE that can stretch the middle of the field on a consistent basis. It's simple football 101 for a successful offense.

Jackson will help and so will Jones. Clowney could be a deep threat and Harrell might be a Gilbert clone, but we have no TE and that's gonna hurt. We have a "ton of potential", but I've been burned by that so many times in the past that I've learned the hard way, production on the field is all that matters and until that production is realized, everything else is just kool-aid drinking.

I do envy you though. I remember the days when my head would be filled with "possibilities" and all kinds of "what ifs". Hold onto that way of thinking for as long as you can.........

retailguy
05-15-2007, 06:32 PM

I'll say "PRAISE JESUS, Miracles happen".

packinpatland

Don't you just wish, just alittle bit, that he'd come right out and say that tho?

packinpatland

I'll say "PRAISE JESUS, Miracles happen".

Amen brother.

retailguy

Don't you just wish, just alittle bit, that he'd come right out and say that tho?

At this point, I wouldn't believe him anyway.

Joemailman
05-15-2007, 06:34 PM
TT is doing it right.

http://www.4bumperstickers.com/

You can make your own! Here's my example:

http://www.4bumperstickers.com/w4p/preview/06428529p.gif

PackerBlues
05-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Everyone sit down before reading any further:

I think TT has this team going in the right direction. I think he has a nose for talent, Defensive talent. And yes, I think that given a few years, he may even have a good team put together.

A few things worry me though, about the length of time that this "rebuilding" process of his is taking.

1) Favre is not going to be around to benefit from it.

2) Certain positions should only be filled with players of the highest caliber.
At CB, Harris and Woodson both, are only going to last so much longer, their position is not one to be filled by an average player, and I just dont think we could possibly see this kind of talent filling both CB positions again anytime soon.
At Tackle, we are looking at the same exact situation with Tauscher and Clifton. Both are getting up there in age, and may not be around by the time that Thompson is done "building a strong base".
3) At the speed that Thompson is putting together our new Playoff/SuperBowl contending team, the more talented guys he has already picked up are going to be due to hit Free Agency, and we may end up coming full circle to end up with exactly what we started with.

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 06:38 PM
TT is doing it right.

How about TT in 2020 :lol: :lol:

Packnut
05-15-2007, 06:41 PM

I think TT has this team going in the right direction. I think he has a nose for talent, Defensive talent. And yes, I think that given a few years, he may even have a good team put together.

A few things worry me though, about the length of time that this "rebuilding" process of his is taking.

At CB, Harris and Woodson both, are only going to last so much longer, their position is not one to be filled by an average player, and I just dont think we could possibly see this kind of talent filling both CB positions again anytime soon.
At Tackle, we are looking at the same exact situation with Tauscher and Clifton. Both are getting up there in age, and may not be around by the time that Thompson is done "building a strong base".
3) At the speed that Thompson is putting together our new Playoff/SuperBowl contending team, the more talented guys he has already picked up are going to be due to hit Free Agency, and we may end up coming full circle to end up with exactly what we started with.

I agree that his talents are much better suited on the defensive side of the ball- well except for the Manuel blunder........

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 06:43 PM

I don't mean any offense, but I sat down for that? :lol:

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 06:44 PM
TT is doing it right.

Thank you soooo much, Joe.

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 06:46 PM
TT is doing it right.

Did you need to make it look like it's his 'patriotic duty' ?

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 06:46 PM
TT is doing it right.

Did you need to make it look like it's his 'patriotic duty' ?

Yes. He is serving his country......to build a football dynasty.

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Can't say that you'll see 'em on every car going by, now will you?

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Can't say that you'll see 'em on every car going by, now will you?

You never know.

I've already sold 50 to JustinHarrel (Both of them.)

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 07:04 PM
I think you'd get your car keyed before too long with that bumper sticker on it.

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Bring some to the Packer/Bear game, I'm sure we'll all be wanting one by then. :lol:

retailguy
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Bring some to the Packer/Bear game, I'm sure we'll all be wanting one by then. :lol:

That's like a sure sale at that game. If we don't want them, the Bears fans will! :twisted:

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 07:37 PM

That's like a sure sale at that game. If we don't want them, the Bears fans will! :twisted:

Can somebody create a sig of Packer player puking over that bumper sticker :lol:

retailguy
05-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Can somebody create a sig of Packer player puking over that bumper sticker :lol:

we can take photos at the Lambeau Bears game. :twisted: :x

Freak Out
05-15-2007, 07:40 PM

:lol:

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 07:41 PM

we can take photos at the Lambeau Bears game. :twisted: :x

Na; after our start by the Bears game we can use the thing as a porto pody

retailguy
05-15-2007, 07:44 PM

Wonder if Justin has had enough alkyhol to claim we'll be 4-0 that week prior to the game? :)

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Wonder if Justin has had enough alkyhol to claim we'll be 4-0 that week prior to the game? :)

I'd be more optomistic if we had an easier schedule to start; Justin has been pretty practical lately.

Some of the others have been spiking their kool aide with a lot of whop.

I'm ready for another .500 season if we make it there. It's easier to accept the lack of urgency in free agency if I have low expectations.

retailguy
05-15-2007, 07:51 PM
I'd be more optomistic if we had an easier schedule to start; Justin has been pretty practical lately.

Some of the others have been spiking their kool aide with a lot of whop.

I'm ready for another .500 season if we make it there. It's easier to accept the lack of urgency in free agency if I have low expectations.

I'll develop some optimism when the line, after playing two pre-season games blocks well enough that Bubba can run ONE damn route and drop the ball...

Until that point, I'm really worried.

.500 will be MAJOR MAJOR progress for this team with this schedule. That'll be a good replacement Super Bowl for me.

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I think you'd get your car keyed before too long with that bumper sticker on it.

Not with that bumper sticker, but if I was driving through New Jersey with this on the back of my car, there's a good chance I'd be shot....

http://www.4bumperstickers.com/w4p/preview/82645463p.gif

Joemailman
05-15-2007, 09:24 PM

That doesn't require alcohol, just Kool-Aid. :cow: