PDA

View Full Version : Happy 50th Anniversary

Joemailman
05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Packers To Celebrate 50th Anniversary Of Opening Of Lambeau Field

The Green Bay Packers Tuesday announced plans to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the opening of Lambeau Field this season.

"Lambeau Field is one of the most hallowed sites in all of sports, and we're very excited to honor the 50th anniversary of its opening this season," said Packers President/COO John Jones. "Fans visiting Lambeau this year will have a number of fun ways to celebrate its anniversary. We look forward to welcoming them here and taking part in recognizing the great tradition of our proud stadium."

An anniversary logo was created to mark the occasion and it will be a prominent feature on many team items throughout the year.

Among the items that will feature the anniversary logo are the team's uniforms, Gameday Program, the media guide and the Packers Yearbook. Lambeau Field itself also will feature the special logo on-field in both end zones for the entire season.

Packers ticket holders will enjoy images of Lambeau Field through the years on their tickets as well.

In addition, a special commemorative project was commissioned to celebrate the anniversary in a unique way. Plans to unveil the project are set for July.

On game days inside Lambeau Field, the TundraVision video boards will play vignettes featuring key moments from the stadium's rich history.

The Packers Pro Shop will offer a number of items that feature the anniversary logo, with a select amount of merchandise already in stock for purchase.

Other events to celebrate the anniversary will be announced at a later date.

Dedicated as City Stadium Sept. 29, 1957, with a 21-17 victory over the archrival Chicago Bears, the team renamed the facility Lambeau Field in 1965 following the death of E.L. 'Curly' Lambeau, the Packers' founder and first coach. It is the NFL's longest-tenured facility.

So, are there any 'Rats out there who will admit to remembering the 1st game at Lambeau?

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm not that old, but do remember the wooden bleachers.
But that was only in the 60's.

oregonpackfan
05-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Celebration of this 50th Anniversary is all the more reason we PackerRats posters need to be in Green Bay on October 7th.

I am still working on the airline travel but I am planning on being there.(I promise to leave the Oregon rain in Oregon!) :)

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Until you mentioned it, I haven't even thought about bad weather. I envision a cool, but too cool, beautiful autumn night.

33 years ago I lived in the UP, grew up there, I've forgotten how cold and wet that time of the year can be..................but not on this night, right?

GrnBay007
05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Cool siggy Joe!! I want one. :P

Iron Mike
05-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Until you mentioned it, I haven't even thought about bad weather. I envision a cool, but too cool, beautiful autumn night.
33 years ago I lived in the UP, grew up there, I've forgotten how cold and wet that time of the year can be..................but not on this night, right?

Ah....if it gets cold and wet, just have another pasty!

http://global.haja.com/content_images/lawrys_pasties/general/14_l.jpg

packinpatland
05-15-2007, 08:32 PM

Good Lord, I can't remember the last time I had one of those.
Maybe the last time we went 'smelting' :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2007, 10:02 PM

Green Bay ain't that much colder than Boston in early October. Hell, I've been in Boston during October, and it was cold as hell (colder than Minnesota).

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Ahhhh, not so. We have the 'warming of ocean breezes'..............not the sometimes 'lake effect snow'!

MadtownPacker
05-16-2007, 08:54 AM

http://global.haja.com/content_images/lawrys_pasties/general/14_l.jpgAre those some kind of German pastry?

Will there be anything special going on since it is the 50th anniversary? Or does that just mean tickets are gonna cost more? :x

Zool
05-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Its no pan-dulce huh?

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Are those some kind of German pastry?

Oringinally, they come from the Cornish.
The miners would put them on/or in their hats, to keep them warm till lunch.
They consist of a pie crust-type dough filled with meat, potatoes, onions and turnips. All diced up small. Ketchup is the condiment of choice.
Pretty tastey stuff. :wink:

MadtownPacker
05-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Its no pan-dulce huh?What Packinpatland described is kinda like a torta. Alot ddifferent though.

They consist of a pie crust-type dough filled with meat, potatoes, onions and turnips. All diced up small. Ketchup is the condiment of choice.
They do sound good. So when are you gonna make some? :jig:

Patler
05-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Ahh, I've eaten many of them in the U.P. Thre was a great pasty shop in Marquette that I used to stop at. Another near Calumet.

mraynrand
05-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I think for the anniversay they should get Geraldo to open Curly Lambeau's tomb.

oregonpackfan
05-16-2007, 01:33 PM
I think for the anniversay they should get Geraldo to open Curly Lambeau's tomb.

LOL. Geraldo could also increase viewership if he would agree to shave his head and go into rehab after the show! :)

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Ahh, I've eaten many of them in the U.P. Thre was a great pasty shop in Marquette that I used to stop at. Another near Calumet.

When you come over the Mackinnac Bridge in the UP there are pasty shops about every few feet.

Someone not knowing what they are, might wonder :lol: or are those 'other kind' spelled differently?

Patler
05-16-2007, 03:15 PM

When you come over the Mackinnac Bridge in the UP there are pasty shops about every few feet.

Someone not knowing what they are, might wonder :lol: or are those 'other kind' spelled differently?

They even sell them in the "Stop and Go" type gas stations, along with the hotdogs on the rolling warmers!

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 05:13 PM

They even sell them in the "Stop and Go" type gas stations, along with the hotdogs on the rolling warmers!

I went to school at NMU, my husband MTU. It's been a long time since I've heard (or read) someone mention Calumet!

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Ahhhh, not so. We have the 'warming of ocean breezes'..............not the sometimes 'lake effect snow'!

You've been away too long. It rarely snows in early October, and the average temperature for the month of October is 3 degrees less than Boston (same for October 7th specifically).

I think your time away has clouded your memory--kind of like when the old man talks about walking 5 miles to school every day when he was a kid.
:lol:

Kind of interesting. The average temperature in October is actually the same in Minneapolis as Boston. It's actually 2 degrees warmer in Minneapolis than Boston on October 7th. Of course, Boston doesn't get the brutal cold in the dead of the winter--thanks to the Atlantic.

October 24th looks like the first day where Boston is actually warmer on average than Minneapolis. Mid-November is when the temperatures start getting much warmer than the Upper Midwest.

Patler
05-16-2007, 10:10 PM

I went to school at NMU, my husband MTU. It's been a long time since I've heard (or read) someone mention Calumet!

Great little town. Its fun watching people use snowblowers on their roofs in the winter!