PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Live DRAFT Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Rastak
04-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Vikes took a safety with their final pick.

Greg Blue
S, Georgia

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is a powerful, well-built run stuffer. Is aggressive against the run. Is an explosive tackler who rolls his hips through ball carriers. Is a headhunter in the passing game; can separate receivers from the ball. Has outstanding straight-line speed for his size. Best fits in a cover 2 scheme. Plays with a mean streak.

Weaknesses: Is a liability in coverage. Can't play man-to-man. Has a stiff upper body; cannot open his hips and change directions. Is slow to react to play fakes and gets caught out of position. Never was asked to play man-to-man coverage in college and struggled to do so in Senior Bowl practices. Doesn't read routes well. Must improve his pre-snap recognition skills.

Bottom line: Blue is a powerful, tough prospect, but he can only defend the run. His Senior Bowl performance hurt his draft value. He now might be projected more as a weakside linebacker than a safety. He is a likely third-round selection, but it is unlikely he can contribute right away in any capacity other than special teams.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is big and physical. Can deliver big hits if he can line up the target. Runs fairly well. Diagnoses plays well. Shows poor ball skills. Doesn't take good angles to the ball. Is a little stiff athletically. Has some special teams value. Some scouts say he could move to linebacker.
No. 17 on Pompei's safety rankings

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 12:33 PM
WHY DOES ESPN NEVER TALK ABOUT OUR PICKS ???????????

HarveyWallbangers
I'm not big on Martin after seeing him at the combine, but he's intriguing. Has decent size, a big arm, and is a good athlete.

Deputy Nutz
Minnesota gets a safety. Greg Blue. I like Blue, he is a big hitter, maybe a little slow for safety, and was working out at the combine as a OLB.

Jason Posiak from Wisconsin goes in round 5 with 150th pick to the JETS

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 12:34 PM
SUNDAY, April 30, 2006, 12:29 p.m.

By Rick Klauer
Packers nab quarterback in fifth round

With their first of two picks in the fifth round, the Packers selected Furman QB Ingle Martin.

Martin is 6-foot-2 and 219 pounds. In 14 games last season, he threw for 2,959 yards with 20 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. The pick, No. 148, was acquired Saturday from Atlanta.

The Packers' second pick in the round is No. 165.

Tony Oday
04-30-2006, 12:35 PM
lol I saw that aswell!

We have a third string QB that will actually earn his paycheck while punting! :) hehe

outflow
Ingle Martin
he can make all the throws

Gotta love that.

Deputy Nutz
Cyclone gets to see one of his own get drafted, Dobbins, inside linebacker.

The Badgers get more players selected than does Michigan.

4 to 2.

Rastak
Minnesota gets a safety. Greg Blue. I like Blue, he is a big hitter, maybe a little slow for safety, and was working out at the combine as a OLB.

Jason Posiak from Wisconsin goes in round 5 with 150th pick to the JETS

Odd thing is they have Tank Williams and Willie Offord which are very similar players...must have been BPA I guess.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Blue ended up falling on draft boards after the season. He was the consensus #16 safety. I had him as late 5th round value.

I had Martin going as a final round flier, so it looks like a reach, but I guess if you are intrigued by the potential of a QB at this point, you take him.

I had Cory Rodgers as 6th round value and Blackmon as 3rd round value. Looks like one reach and one steal there.

outflow
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Reminds me of a Ron Wolf selection.

Agreed.

Fritz
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
I really like the Ingle Martin Pick. Reminds me of a Ron Wolf selection. Took him in the fifth round, and will trade him in 3 years for a 3rd round if everything works out.

I'm right with ya, Nutz. Perfect. And ya gotta love that name. Being the self-proclaimed initiator of nicknames, I now deem this guy dINGLEberry Martin.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Fuck the values; TT throws them out the window anyways.

THE TIME HAS COME FOR BRETSKY TO START GETTING OBNOXIOUS
THE TIME HAS COME FOR BRETSKY TO START POUNDING THE TALBE FOR

A SMASH MOUTH
A BRUISER
A BAD ASS BLOCKING FOOTBALL PLAYER

SAY IT WITH ME.............JUST LIKE AT UW MADISON GAMES

MATT BERNNNNNNNNSTEIN
MATT BERNNNNNNNNSTEIN
MATT BERNNNNNNNNSTEIN
MATT BERNNNNNNNNSTEIN

Patler
04-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Corey Rodgers over Demetrius Williams and Ko Simpson is mind boggling

This was in the fourth round. Passing over anyone at this point to take someone else is not mind boggling. Or were you just kidding Bretsky? I haven't kept up with all 100 pages of this thread!

Guiness
04-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Kudla's an interesting guy--strong as a tank--reportedly could've one more reps as 225 but was told he already broke record.

I dunno - I'm not sure what to think of this.

We've already got one weight room wonder in Washington. Look how he's doing. Courtney Brown was supposed to me monster strong. Nothing there either.

I'm a gym rat. A guy I workout with can bench 225 a mess of time. Neither of us should be in the NFL.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
TELL HIM WILLIAM HENDERSON

GrnBay007
HAHA.........Henderson on saying Brett Favre is the most coachable player in the NFL!!

CyclonePackFan
OH SNAP HENDERSON JUST OWNED KIPER

Deputy Nutz
Hendo lays the smack down on ESPN!!!!!!

rdanomly
GO HENDERSON!!

pacfan
Will Henderson is giving the ESPN NFL draft experts some ass-chewings.

Its great!!!

GrnBay007
Go Willy!!

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 12:44 PM
What happened?

outflow
Please recap what William.

Tony Oday
KICK THEIR ASSES HENDERSON!!!!

I LOVE this guy now going out to pick up a Henderson jersey today for sure.

hehe Kiper you are a puts and Henderson just called your ass out!

Jowarski you are an idiot.

Homer Jay
Very nice indeed! William Henderson, worst Packer pick in 1995. Mr. Kiper, shut up and sit down.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 12:45 PM
LEAVE THE SET HENDO!!! THROW YOUR MIKE DOWN AND LEAVE!!!!!

Tony Oday
04-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Seriously he is laying it into them!!!!

LOL this is awesome!

MadtownPacker
04-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Big Willy style is schooling these "professional" commenthaters!! Go Henderson!!!!!!!!!

Bretsky
LEAVE THE SET HENDO!!! THROW YOUR MIKE DOWN AND LEAVE!!!!!

HILARIOUS how he called out Mel Kiper and the fact that Kiper called William Henderson one of the bigger reaches in the draft.............and then said he turned out pretty good...........

outflow
What is he saying? What is he saying? I can't see it.

Tony Oday
04-30-2006, 12:47 PM
sign him to an extension!!!! lol he just earned it!!!!

Homer Jay
Man, I wish I had taped that. William, you are my hero!! What a Packer

pacfan
He told Jaws that he was wrong Brett is coachable, it wasn't all Brett's fault. He said the system wasn't working with the players that were available. He ripped Kiper for saying he (Will) was a wasted pick.

A stand-up guy.

I bet he didn't go thte draft either.... :cool:

Tony Oday
04-30-2006, 12:48 PM
He is just taking the comentators to task. BAsicallly saying you guys have no idea what you are talking about at all so sit there and talk but football players dont listen to you.

FritzDontBlitz
lol big willie style, baby.

mortensen trying to clean up jaworski's mess.

nice drive by, will, about time somebody blew up this runaway train of a hypefest....

MadtownPacker
Thats was sweet!!!!! Put that on ESPN Classic!!!!

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 12:49 PM

He said all of the media criticisms of Favre are ridiculous and there are multiple reasons for Green Bay's struggeles; Favre is the ultimate teammate. Criticisms of the ESPN guys against GB's picks are unfounded and they will be welcomed with open arms.

He was smooth and cutting and went off on a few separate tangeants.

I bet ESPN will not have him back next year and he may have lost out on a cushy job with ESPN after he retires for chewing all their asses out.

Guiness
OH SNAP HENDERSON JUST OWNED KIPER

Someone post a quote!!! What did he say?

edit: ok, thanks to those who re-capped it. Sounds great. I can just see that Hendo stare, waiting for them to answer.

Homer Jay
That made the whole crappy coverage by ESPN worthwhile. I see a future for William in a studio someday. I only wish Kiper had been there to answer.

Chubbyhubby
GO HENDERSON!!

I respect Henderson alot more on what he just said on ESPN that was frickin' awesome !

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 12:50 PM

He said all of the media criticisms of Favre are ridiculous and there are multiple reasons for Green Bay's struggeles; Favre is the ultimate teammate. Criticisms of the ESPN guys against GB's picks are unfounded and they will be welcomed with open arms.

I bet ESPN will not have him back next year and he may have lost out on a cushy job with ESPN after he retires for chewing all their asses out.

I couldn't disagree more. Other commentators don't make those hiring decisions - management does. And the ESPN brass loves controversy.

GrnBay007
04-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Ha Ha....that little segment will NEVER be replayed. WTG Willy!!

pacfan
04-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Looks like Fischer is trying not to choke on his tongue on National TV.

What a shitty way to treat a guy that played hurt, played with heart, and took them to the SB.

Homer Jay
04-30-2006, 12:53 PM
He said "Mel Kiper, I know you're there somewhere, you said I was the worst pick by the Packers in 1995, and I think I worked out a little better than that." He also reminded the expert that some times the defensive players make plays too. It almost was as if he was talking to some of the fans too.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 12:53 PM
One interesting observation at this point - there were a LOT of TE's that could play in the NFL available, and the Pack didn't grab one.

They must have confidence in Lee. They've obviously got their starter in Franks, and I guess they're happy with Lee as a guy who can create matchup problems.

Chubbyhubby
04-30-2006, 12:54 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Other commentators don't make those hiring decisions - management does. And the ESPN brass loves controversy.

I agree, when WH retires he could end up with his a TV show on ESPN! That was Frickin Awesome!

pacfan
04-30-2006, 12:54 PM
One interesting observation at this point - there were a LOT of TE's that could play in the NFL available, and the Pack didn't grab one.

They must have confidence in Lee. They've obviously got their starter in Franks, and I guess they're happy with Lee as a guy who can create matchup problems.

I agree, and Lee showed he could produce as the #2 TE. Which Martin has not.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 12:55 PM
HOLY SHIT

I cannot believe what he just said......I think he overstepped the INT question a little bit and I think Jaws was right on....Big Will is doing the right thing defeding Brett. I havn't seen this team defend eachother like this in a long freakin time.

Favre needs to step up and quite honestly I think he will. To me, Favre came out early and was the best QB in the league and was still losing games. Favre doesn't care about his yards, ints, ect...He was losing. He felt like he had to do more and pressed it. I honestly don't see that happening again because if Favre can play great like he did early last year and put up 14 - 17 consistantly I think we're all going to find out that the defense is capable of that finial stop now. They can get that turnover with 4:00 to go. They can step up now where they folded last year. Favre might not score 30 a game like he did in 2002 but at the end of the day the Packers are going to get a W and that is what drives Favre. That is why he gets ready every Sunday, and that is why he was broken last year.

Great job Will....Wow...That was just really great and honestly it was a litte touching..He stood up for the team and he laid it out there when he could have kissed asses. Hendersons $$ value isn't high but the value he brings to GB is higher than he can bring anywhere else. It's been a long time since that Packers have been this much of a team. They are all together and they truely care about the team....Walker leaving was a blessing. That was just awsome.[/b][/quote]

Tony Oday
04-30-2006, 12:56 PM
havent seen Kiper say a word since good ole Willy bull rushed him!!

pacfan
04-30-2006, 12:58 PM
havent seen Kiper say a word since good ole Willy bull rushed him!!

nobody defending him either, the white elephant in the room.

Partial
04-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Henderson is very well-spoken. As they say, speak softly and carry a big stick. I think thats how he does it.

So what does everyone think of our draft so far? I stopped watching yesterday around 25 in round 1. I did some reading on the guys so far and this seems to be a really solid draft.

I agree he passed on two potential starters this year, but the guys he took seem to be equally impressive honestly.

I really really really like the Hodge, and Blackman picks. I think those are his best picks of the draft. Our linebacking core went from our weakest unit to what will be our best by mid-season next year. Same with our offensive line.

I think Jennings could prove solid. Route running receivers are key. I think he'll be a good player. Maybe not right away, but after a year or so he'll be solid.

Maybe we'll see Ferguson step up this year!! :lol: hahahahhaa if only

potsdam_11
04-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Henderson is ESPN’s worst nightmare, an articulate, team oriented guy…with a brain. Too Funny.. Kiper gets outed as the fool he is... :D

packrulz
04-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I think it's a good draft, especially Hawk & Hodge, don't know about some of the others but they sound like good high character guys.

Tony Oday
04-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Feels like a smash mouth kind of draft. Seems like all the guys are playing with a chip on their shoulders :)

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 01:10 PM
if you notice, big will has been silently fuming over the last two days at the comments made by others. when he discussed the character issue the other "commentators" derided his comments. when will explained lendale white was sliding so far because teams might question his ability to stay in shape, torry holt and trent green beat him up bigtime, all the while kissing up to lendale and making excuses for him. so far, will is the only guy on the espn set that's willing to tell the truth. i'm glad he finally ripped into their bullshit.

Rastak
04-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Henderson is ESPN’s worst nightmare, an articulate, team oriented guy…with a brain. Too Funny.. Kiper gets outed as the fool he is... :D

Kiper wasn't even in that studio. Henderson said I know you can hear me but he wasn't there. Besides, when you cover the draft every year, year after year you're gonna make some mistakes and undervaluing Henderson clearly was one. He's been a very solid player for many years.

Partial
04-30-2006, 01:12 PM
If we can get a starting DE out of the rest of our picks, I will be very, very, very, very, very, very pleased. Our defense will be downright solid. I hope they play Blackman on both O and D. He's a stud. A flat out mother freakin' baller.

Partial
04-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Packer's are almost on the clock. Who do we want???

Brandon Williams? Jonathon Orr? DE DE DE DE DE DE DE DE DE ?!?!?

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 01:15 PM

If I were a producer at ESPN, I'd pull the tape from that draft and air Kiper's comments. And then let Kiper respond. It'd make for great TV.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Damn! Two guys I liked, OG Chris Kuper of North Dakota and DE Mark Anderson of Alabama just got drafted.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 01:17 PM
QB Ingle Martin
Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 219 pounds

Pros: An accurate thrower with the touch to deliver all the passes, and showed improvement in the deep game during his final season. He has above-average arm strength to make most throws and is especially effective on the short and intermediate routes, leading the receivers to make plays after the catch. He delivers the ball with good velocity, timing and touch with the ability to hang in the pocket and make the tough throw. He is a competitive, hard-working and tough player who shows the ability to direct an offense.

Cons: He has outstanding upside as a passer, but has a learning curve that will take time. A versatile athlete who is still raw as a passer and needs work on his mechanics, footwork, decision-making and defense recognition. Tough prospect with the athleticism to back up two positions and possibly start as a punter.

Numbers: At the Combine, he ran a fine 4.65 with a 36-inch vertical jump and 9-foot, 3-inch broad jump. As a senior, he completed 212 of 349 pass attempts for 61 percent, a school-record 2,959 yards and 20 TDs, while leading Furman to an 11-3 record and Division I-AA playoffs semifinal appearance. He accounted for another school record 3,191 yards in total offense.

Partial
Damn, I wanted Harv's DE!!!

Guiness
if you notice, big will has been silently fuming over the last two days at the comments made by others. when he discussed the character issue the other "commentators" derided his comments. when will explained lendale white was sliding so far because teams might question his ability to stay in shape, torry holt and trent green beat him up bigtime, all the while kissing up to lendale and making excuses for him. so far, will is the only guy on the espn set that's willing to tell the truth. i'm glad he finally ripped into their bullshit.

Didn't see the part with Holt and Green. You'd think two vetrans who have survived this long in the league would be on board with the 'it takes a lot of hard work and commitment' thing. Although maybe they were worried White might be a future teammate, and didn't want to start out on the wrong foot.

Hendo can call out Kipper if he wants, but I'm not so sure he should be dissing players coming into the league while he still plays in it. That's bad karma.

packrulz
Setterstrom is still slipping, wow.

Bretsky
HARVEY,

GIVE ME FIVE NAMES THAT SHOULD BE GONE BY NOW.

Rastak
Pack is on the clock, who do you like here Harvey?

HarveyWallbangers
Greg Blue
Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 221 pounds

Pros: Blue was a dominant in-the-box defender and has imposing size for a safety and the frame to carry additional weight that could also project him to outside linebacker. He is a tough defender who shows strong hitting skills with the technique and sure tackling to make plays at the line of scrimmage. He has good instincts and athleticism to get to the ball. He could be a fine pro defender in the proper scheme. He carries an early NFL starting grade at the strong safety position. He has the fine range needed to cover the field to each sideline. He is very sudden and fills the hole like a linebacker. He can cover ground and outrun some mistakes.

Cons: In a fairly draft deep safety class, he could get overlooked, though that would be a mistake. In pass coverage, he gets turned around too often and loses sight of the ball. He shows questionable change of direction and ball skills that leaves him vulnerable in man situations. His ability to plant and drive is suspect and he bites on pump fakes and is very vulnerable to the double move. He displays questionable recovery speed.

Numbers: At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds with a 37.5” vertical jump and 10’ broad jump. He did 16 reps of the 225-pound bench press.

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 01:20 PM
another thing about the henderson comments: jaworski was trying to set will up to rip on either brett favre or mike sherman, and will refused to do either. it would have been easy to take jaworski's bait and say "it wasn't because brett wasn't accepting coaching, it was because his old coach didn't do a good job" and dump it all in sherman's lap, but will is too much the gentleman to kick shermy

HarveyWallbangers
I wish we would have taken Reggie McNeal over Ingle Martin.

I havent' followed closely, so I don't know if some may have been taken.

RB Mike Bell
RB Wali Lundy
WR Todd Watkins
TE Tim Day
TE T.J. Williams
OG Mark Setterstrom
OC Greg Eslinger
DE Eric Henderson
DE James Wyche
DE Ryan LaCasse
DE Stanley McClover
DT Babatunde Oshinowo
DT Montavius Stanley
CB Dee Webb
CB Josh Lay
S Antoine Bethea

Deputy Nutz
Settrstrom
Eslinger

Both are still available

Brandon Williams has already been selected.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 01:21 PM
HARVEY,

GIVE ME FIVE NAMES THAT SHOULD BE GONE BY NOW.

*subbing for Harvey*

Marcus Vick
J Orr
Omar Jacobs
Is Wally Ludli gone?

Not that I necessarily want any of these guys, just surprised they're still there.

edit: oops, there goes Jacobs

CyclonePackFan
THe 165th pick is:

Tony Moll OT Nevada

HarveyWallbangers
CB Will Blackmon
Height: 6-foot-0
Weight: 198 pounds

Pros: Blackmon played both cornerback and receiver in addition to returning kicks. He combines good size and speed with fine instincts and playmaking ability. He has quick reactions in coverage with the fluid hips to break easily on the ball and make plays. He is able to turn and run with receivers in coverage. He is not shy about tackling and gives a good effort with a nose for the ball, though he is not a naturally physical player. He also shows the toughness to play fairly well in run support with the ability to get off blockers. He is a good return man that sees the field well and is able to create with the ball in his hands. His versatility should enhance his ranking in some situations. He would appeal to a coach like Bill Belichick who welcomes versatile guys. He is a high-character player that puts in the work to excel.

Cons: He became a victim of his own talent and unselfishness. As a senior, he played mainly at receiver, where he displayed some playmaking ability. The move helped his team, but hurt his pro potential. He is better in man than zone coverage and will need some time in a base defense after not playing on the corner.

Numbers: At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds with a 41” vertical jump and 11’1⠢‚¬Â broad jump with fine agility drills.

Partial
Get Eslinger, add depth and play him at guard!!!

OL and DL win championships!!!

Patler
04-30-2006, 01:22 PM

Kiper wasn't even in that studio. Henderson said I know you can hear me but he wasn't there. Besides, when you cover the draft every year, year after year you're gonna make some mistakes and undervaluing Henderson clearly was one. He's been a very solid player for many years.

The problem is that only rarely does anyone go back and evaluate Kiper's analyses. I read an article one time with GM/Headscout comments about Kiper, and a critical review of his work. Basically, he does OK with the first 2 rounds, but who couldn't? It wouldn't be hard to do those evaluations just from newspapaer articles. Spending all day on it, many on here could do well. The point of the article was that from the 3rd round on, where personal evaluations are needed, Kiper's evaluations are awful. As one GM put it, if Kiper was actually paid on the accuracy of his evaluations, he would have been unemployed a long time ago. But, he is paid for the entertainment value of his work, and he has found his nitch for that.

Deputy Nutz
Another nobody. Good Job Thompson. You're a mad genius. Well I don't know about the genius part.

Bretsky
Get Eslinger, add depth and play him at guard!!!

OL and DL win championships!!!

AGREE COMPLETELY.............or draft BERNSTEIN !!!!!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
Tony Moll? Man, they are going for a few fliers on Day 2, aren't they?

Bretsky

That's what Ted Thompson does.

HarveyWallbangers
DE Ray Edwards
Height: 6-foot-6
Weight: 270 pounds

Pros: He is a big, mobile athlete with natural pass-rushing skills to be one of the hidden gems in a deep draft class. He is able to drop off into pass coverage, showing an awareness of the short zones and routes by backs and tight ends. He could end up being one of the biggest steals of this draft for the patient team that waits for him to develop, which may take a couple of seasons.

Cons: He needs to add counter moves inside and increase strength work. He has shown the ability to play the run, but needs to use his huge frame better at the point-of-attack and locate the ball quicker. His ability to read the play sooner is an area of concern that probably keeps him on the bench early in his career.

Numbers: As a junior, he started 11 games and made 28 tackles with 11 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks and an interception. At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.82 seconds with a 39-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-6 broad jump and did 30 reps in the 225-pound bench press.

Rastak
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM

Yea no bio on sporting news warroom...here's all I could get for ya...

TONY MOLL MEASURABLES
Height: 6-4 Weight: 308
40-yard dash: 5.10 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 8-11 225-lb. bench: 18
3-cone drill: Vertical jump: 32
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash:

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM
It says Darrell Adams on ESPN. Not a bad player. Some potential there.

DE Darrell Adams
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 270 pounds

Pros: Darrell is a big mobile lineman who has played both tackle and end over his career and combines fine size, mobility and speed to compete for an NFL job. He has a big frame that should allow him to carry additional weight and fill out in the 270- to 285-pound range. He is a ‘tweener lineman the size potential to play inside and the athleticism to man the outside position. He is a big physical hardworking athlete with talent and fine production over his career. He is best suited for the strong-side end position in a 4-3, though there are some scouts who see him as a three-technique tackle in a 4-3 set. He has the body type and mobility to be an end in a 3-4 scheme, though no experience playing in that alignment. He gives good effort and displays fine instincts to consistently diagnose the play and locate the ball.

Cons: He is fluid in his movement along the line, but needs to get stronger in the upper body especially and learn better hand technique to separate sooner from blockers. As with many players of his body type and level of development, he will at times have a tendency to play too tall and look stiff when asked to change directions and pursue. He needs to show also that he can do a better job anchoring against the double-team blocks, but he usually holds the point of attack well.

Numbers: As a senior, he started 10 games at end and had 40 tackles with 11.5 tackles for loss and one sack. At the Combine he ran the 40-yard dash in a disappointing 5.1 seconds with a 27-inch vertical jump, a 9-1 broad jump and did 22 reps in the 225-pound bench press.

Skinny: Has the athletic ability and aptitude to make the jump from Division I-AA, though he probably needs a few seasons before contributing. Excellent late gamble with upside and fine development prospect.

CyclonePackFan
04-30-2006, 01:24 PM
NFL.com doesn't have anything on him, either...

Partial
Who'd we get? I was talking to my girlfriend about Brandon Williams and missed it!!

Guiness
lol took them a while to get it on the NFL site, and they don't have his height, weight or a player page for him.

First guy drafted that that's happened too. I guess he wasn't expected to go at all. Anyone know anything about this guy?

pacfan

TONY MOLL MEASURABLES

I don't care for thie pick. We need more depth on defense

HarveyWallbangers
Apparently, it was Moll. Don't know anything about him--except that he is undersized.

Bretsky

TONY MOLL MEASURABLES

It's Ted's goal to draft people we've never heard of in day 2

packrulz
04-30-2006, 01:25 PM
TT likes the obscure sleeper picks but why not wait until the 6th or 7th round?

Partial
04-30-2006, 01:26 PM
an offensive linemen that only did 18 reps of 225? Pussy.

CyclonePackFan
- Tackle Tony Moll, Sr. - Mill is a converted tight end who has 11 career catches and four touchdowns. The 280-pound senior was one of the surprises of spring ball and should be able to use his athleticism to become a much needed reliable pass blocker.

Partial
Lame, he should have gotten Eslinger. He has shown time and time again he is solid and can play inside spot on the line. Plus, he is a zone-blocking specialist!!!

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 01:27 PM

If we bring in 20 OL between the draft, free agency and holdovers maybe we can find three more that are worth a shit.

TT must not like the Gopher guys much.

Partial
Are they gonna play moll at guard? 280 is awfully small.

I really hope Jagz knows what he's doing.

Tony Oday
Alright we need a WR now a BIG one. Martin Nance for Miami(oh) Orr or Marques Colston!

What do you guys think?

Rastak
04-30-2006, 01:28 PM

If we bring in 20 OL between the draft, free agency and holdovers maybe we can find three more that are worth a shit.

TT must not like the Gopher guys much.

Not just Ted by the looks of things....someone will get a helluva deal with Eslinger....

Bretsky
- Tackle Tony Moll, Sr. - Mill is a converted tight end who has 11 career catches and four touchdowns. The 280-pound senior was one of the surprises of spring ball and should be able to use his athleticism to become a much needed reliable pass blocker.

Practice Squad

Guiness
Apparently, it was Moll. Don't know anything about him--except that he is undersized.

I know the game has changed, but I will never get over someone that is 2m tall and 140kg being called undersized

CyclonePackFan
Lame, he should have gotten Eslinger. He has shown time and time again he is solid and can play inside spot on the line. Plus, he is a zone-blocking specialist!!!

If Eslinger's still there, it means EVERYBODY knows something we don't...

Bretsky
Alright we need a WR now a BIG one. Martin Nance for Miami(oh) Orr or Marques Colston!

What do you guys think?

ORR and then Bernstein.

CyclonePackFan

Practice Squad

Sounds about right.

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 01:29 PM
i can't find anything on moll

Partial
I am pretty dissapointed with some of these guys. Why isn't he drafting the big names that are still available? We all know Eslinger can play

Maybe he really likes this guys athleticism on the line since he's 280 and a converted tight end. Perhaps.

Rastak

I know the game has changed, but I will never get over someone that is 2m tall and 140kg being called undersized

In the two rivers that'd be huge..... :lol:

RashanGary
Does anyone feel Thompson doesn't like Klemm....:)

CyclonePackFan
04-30-2006, 01:30 PM
I have a feeling that they want to convert Moll back to TE and use him primarily as a blocker.

Patler
04-30-2006, 01:30 PM
lol took them a while to get it on the NFL site, and they don't have his height, weight or a player page for him.

First guy drafted that that's happened too. I guess he wasn't expected to go at all. Anyone know anything about this guy?

There were a couple earlier that were posted blank, too, but the information was added quickly. We'll see if they do that for this guy, too.

Partial
04-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Nah, I bet they're trying to add as many players as they can to fit the scheme so they have 10 guys who can play.

He'll be the right guard I bet. It might take a year for him to play, but I think they want him to be the right guard eventually.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I have a feeling that they want to convert Moll back to TE and use him primarily as a blocker.

In the U71 formation??? Say it ain't so.

Tony Oday
04-30-2006, 01:32 PM
lol we are drafting for the U-71 package now!!!?!?!?!?! hehe

HarveyWallbangers
Someone will get a good player in Eslinger. I wish it were the Packers.

I like the OG that Minnesota got from Philadelphia, Artis Hicks. By no means will he be a star, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. Childress should know him well.

Homer Jay
I'm reading the Packers had Moll inn for a workout April,4. They must have seen something they liked.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 01:33 PM
If Thompson didn't like Klemm as a backup OT, he'll likely cut him. If he sticks around, then he likes him as a solid backup OT.

I'm out. The baby is fussing. I thought she'd sleep in her swing for awhile, but it aint' happening.

Partial
04-30-2006, 01:33 PM
They should take Marcus Vick in the 7th.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I think he's just taking guys that he likes and hoping a couple of them make the team....

I do know that there are a ton of OL on the team right now...

Colledge was a very high pick for a guard. He got a 30 on his wonderlic which should give him the mental edge to make an impact right away. Also, from everything I read he is extremely athletic and a very hard worker. Thompson discribed him as a smart, tough football player. On many of his analysis' he was discribed as being a very hard worker and high effort guy...

So we got an athelticlly gifted, super smart, hard working, tough, agressive, nasty football player who is physically ready to compete and mentally capable of learning the offense.

Other than Hawk of course, this is the player we are going to fall in love with right away.

Fritz
04-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Nah, I bet they're trying to add as many players as they can to fit the scheme so they have 10 guys who can play.

He'll be the right guard I bet. It might take a year for him to play, but I think they want him to be the right guard eventually.

I'm with partial. Look, it's the fifth round now, and you can draft a guy like this, stash him on the practice squad for a year, let him develop, and in two years you've - potentially - got a starting guard. He'll beef up from that svelte 280, too.

As the unofficial nicknamer of players, let me be the first to introduce:

Tony "Gun" Moll. Of course, you probably have to be over the age of forty to get it....

Patler
04-30-2006, 01:36 PM

There were a couple earlier that were posted blank, too, but the information was added quickly. We'll see if they do that for this guy, too.

Well, they've added his height and weight and put up a page for him. Other than his picture the page is blank right now. See how long it takes them to add something.

Fritz
04-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Hope he's not Jason Spitz's twin!

Guiness
04-30-2006, 01:38 PM

Well, they've added his height and weight and put up a page for him. Other than his picture the page is blank right now. See how long it takes them to add something.

Looks like the father from The King Of Queens.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I am pretty dissapointed with some of these guys. Why isn't he drafting the big names that are still available? We all know Eslinger can play

Maybe he really likes this guys athleticism on the line since he's 280 and a converted tight end. Perhaps.

What pisses me off about TT is his ability to get cute and pluck these unknown and lesser knows for proven quality college players.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 01:40 PM
There goes Orr. Tenessee, eh? I guess he'll be blocking for VY.

Wow. Is anyone ever going to pick Vick? I mean, someone's gotta take a flyer on him at this point. Even as a KR/PR.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 01:45 PM
The Packers have not addressed defensive line, TE, Running Back.

3 offensive linemen, 3 receivers, 2 linebackers, 1 defensive back, 1 quarterback.

GrnBay007
04-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Wow. Is anyone ever going to pick Vick? I mean, someone's gotta take a flyer on him at this point. Even as a KR/PR.

Naaaaaa......let him sit. He will have time to think about his selfish behavior.....lol

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 01:47 PM
uh oh, big bill is back on with sean salisbury and the panel of players....

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 01:50 PM
the other players are just shilling for the league in hopes of getting a booth job when their careers are over. no one will speak freely other than will.....

Partial
04-30-2006, 01:52 PM
4 more picks and they're on the clock!!!

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 01:55 PM
SUNDAY, April 30, 2006, 1:29 p.m.

By Cliff Christl
Martin also punts

Ingle Martin, the Furman quarterback drafted by the Packers in the fifth round, also punts. He averaged 42.5 yards on 34 punts as a senior. He also punted at Florida in 2002, averaging 35.2 yards on 46 punts.

Rastak
04-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Henderson would make a fantastic TV guy......smart and articulate.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 01:56 PM
SUNDAY, April 30, 2006, 1:26 p.m.

By Cliff Christl
Martin started at Florida

Ingle Martin, the quarterback drafted by the Packers in the fifth round, started out at the University of Florida after being one of the most heavily recruited quarterbacks in the country in 2000.

Martin led his high school team, Montgomery Bell in Nashville, Tenn., to three straight state championships and 32 straight wins, and was named a Parade All-American. In addition to Florida, Martin also was recruited by Tennessee, Louisiana State, Alabama and Virginia.

After being redshirted his first year at Florida, Martin served as Rex Grossman's backup in 2002. He appeared in 12 games, but threw only 10 passes and completed seven. In 2003, Martin started the first four games before suffering a concussion against the University of Miami and eventually lost his job to freshman standout Chris Leak. Martin's stats that season were: 47 completions in 77 attempts, 61%, for 654 yards. He also threw three touchdowns and two interceptions.

Martin transferred to Furman before the 2004 season and put up some gaudy numbers as a two-year starter. As a senior, Martin completed 212 of 349 passes, 60.7%, for 2,959 yards. He threw 20 TDs and 13 interceptions.

Chubbyhubby
04-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Who do u think they will pick? DE?

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Where are we on the draft? My wife took the tv so I could have the computer.

Scott Campbell

You're welcome to him after were done with him.

Guiness

And he's got a nasty stare that makes you think he's looking at YOU

outflow
04-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Hands down, NFL Networks coverage is way way ahead of ESPN's craptastic telecast.

The Vanilla Ice theme song is getting old though.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 01:58 PM

It's draft day. The TV AND the computer are yours and your only. Give her a People magazine or sumthin.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 02:01 PM

It's draft day. The TV AND the computer are yours and your only. Give her a People magazine or sumthin.

What do you do? Do you have 3 or 4 subscriptions to cover them all off? Or maybe a couple of People, and a couple of National Geographic?

Anyone care to comment on Ellison finally going?

CyclonePackFan
04-30-2006, 02:03 PM

In the U71 formation??? Say it ain't so.

I think I heard that the U71 formation is dead.

Yet ANOTHER Packer pick, yet another set of commercials.

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 02:03 PM
GB is up w/ two picks of the next three. DE!

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 02:04 PM
or the jewish hammer!

CyclonePackFan
04-30-2006, 02:06 PM
With #183 we take:

Johnny Jolly DT TX A&M

outflow
Johnny Jolly DT

Tarlam!
Johnny Jolly
Height: 6-3 1/4 | Weight: 317 | 40-Time: 5.43

Official Bio

Strengths:
Gets a good push in the middle...Very strong and powerful...Versatile and could play multiple positions...Competitive and intense...Hard worker and leader...Will beat blockers & collapse the pocket...Three-year starter with lots of experience.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great speed or quickness...Is not very mobile and lacks range...Is not much of a pass rusher...Struggles to find the ball...Needs to stay low and play with better leverage...Might not have a whole lot of upside for the next level.

Notes:
Maybe a 3-4 defensive end?...Is not very flashy and doesn't stand out in any one area but does everything well...Brings great intangibles to the table...The type who might never be a star but could contribute as a pro in the right situation.

CyclonePackFan
04-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Johnny Jolly, Texas A&M (6-3¼, 317, 5.42)
Jolly did not have a complete workout at the Combine. He recorded no lifts or shuttles. He ran his two 40s in 5.41 and 5.43 and notched an 8-foot-7 long jump. He did not work out at the Texas A&M Pro Day because of a bad ankle. He was a three-year starter at A&M. He looks strong and has toughness.

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 02:07 PM
tarlam beat me to it

outflow
04-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Johnny Jolly

Weaknesses:
Does not have great speed or quickness...Is not very mobile and lacks range...Is not much of a pass rusher...Struggles to find the ball...Needs to stay low and play with better leverage...Might not have a whole lot of upside for the next level.

Ok so why pick the guy? I'm thinking whoever wrote this up wouldn't have.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 02:09 PM
SUNDAY, April 30, 2006, 2:06 p.m.

By Cliff Christl
Clements on Martin

Tom Clements, quarterbacks coach of the Packers, said he liked Ingle Martin's size (6-2, 224), athletic ability, mechanics, arm strength and anticipation. "He has a lot of tools to work with," said Clements.

Clements also said Martin's arm proved to be one of the stronger ones at the combine workouts, where it was checked by a radar gun.

"I think he has a strong enough arm to make all the throws that are required of him," said Clements.

CyclonePackFan
Johnny Jolly
Height: 6-3
Weight: 318
40 Speed: 5.44*
Position: Defensive Tackle
College: Texas A&M

SUMMARY

Jolly was a tough player to fairly evaluate because despite his natural tools, he does not finish and make plays that he gets close enough to on a regular basis. He does a good job of bending his knees and playing with leverage, which allows him to hold his ground at the point of attack on runs at him, but he does not shed the blocker quickly enough to make the play and too often he is tied up right as the ball carrier runs right by him. He does a good job of getting off the ball and into the backfield to disrupt plays, but he does not finish and make the play often enough. Overall, Jolly has all the physical tools to be a good starting defensive tackle in the NFL, for a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, but will need to use his hands better to take on and shed blockers. Additionally, he will need to play with that aggressive, attacking style much more in order to produce at the level he is physically capable of. I believe that Jolly will be drafted later than he is evaluated here, but given a season or two as a backup (possibly even on the practice squad), he can become a good backup defensive tackle who can do a solid job of spot starting when needed.

STRONG POINTS

Jolly is a good athlete with the quick feet, size and strength that are ideal for a strong defensive tackle at the point of attack. He does a good job of staying focused to burst off the ball at the snap and can shoot gaps to get into the backfield consistently. His quickness off the ball also combine with his strength to let him get on top of the offensive line fast and he can jolt his man backwards to disrupt the quarterback. His quickness, hand use and instincts help him to get started towards the ball quickly on inside runs, where he can keep the blocker on his shoulder and can chase plays down between the offensive tackles.

WEAKNESSES

Despite good size and measureables, Jolly looks soft and fleshy on film, which is cause for concern about his work ethic off the field. He has the ability to be a productive player vs. the run and the pass, but more often than not, he is around and disrupting the play without actually making the play. He does not shed blocks well once they get a hold of him -- runners go right by him when he is tied up too often. He does not have a closing burst to finish plays he should -- if the play is outside the tackles, he lacks the ability to get there in time to make the tackle.

Tarlam!
tarlam beat me to it

Oh BABY! :cool:

Tarlam!
04-30-2006, 02:10 PM
From his crique, ya gotta think Jim Bates coulda turned this guy into a wrecking machine...

CyclonePackFan
04-30-2006, 02:11 PM
With pick #185 we select:

Tyrone Culver DB Fresno St.

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 02:11 PM
tyrone culver db fresno state at 185

Tarlam!
04-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Tyrone Culver
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 195 | 40-Time: 4.56

Official Bio

Strengths:
Pretty good athlete...Physical and will help versus the run...A playmaker who has a knack for coming through in the clutch...Very smart both on and off the field...A hard worker with premier intangibles...A very consistent and reliable performer.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great timed speed...Instincts are below average...Is built more like a cornerback...Does not have fluid hips and is slow out of his breaks...Can be too conservative at times...Range is a bit limited...Might not have a very big upside.

Notes:
Wants to go to dental school...Probably doesn't have all the physical tools and measurables you look for in a prospect...The type who does everything well but nothing great...Might never be a star but could be a solid backup at the pro level.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Anyone have anything on this guy?

Homer Jay
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Back to rivals.com. Frank Coyle says in this talented tackle class he will probably slide into the second day where he will be a definite steal, and is capable of being a quality starter. Johnny Jolly

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
With pick #185 we select:

Tyrone Culver DB Fresno St.

Culver has a tremendous football IQ. He is an intelligent player and is great in run support. However, he lacks speed and trailed on too many plays. He has good size, but will probably be nothing more than a special teams player at the next level.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 02:15 PM
The Packers are once again going to have a dozen picks in the draft.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2006, 02:15 PM

You will be hearing about this soon. EVEN Bretsky got the TV all weekend!

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Tyrone Culver | Safety | Fresno State | 6'1" - 200 lbs.

OVERVIEW
A key contributor while leading the secondary the last two years, the four-time Academic All-Western Athletic Conference has the quickness needed to cover any receiver on deep routes. He called the secondary adjustments for the team and was labeled a "coach on the field" by the staff because of his field smarts and ball anticipation ability.

Culver was selected to the Los Angeles Times All-Star team as a senior at Palmdale High School. He added Southern Section Scholar-Athlete, team MVP and League Defensive Player of the Year honors. He also earned first-team All-Golden League and All-CIF honors, in addition to being a member of the Los Angeles Daily News All-Star team.

After redshirting in 2001 at Fresno State, Tyrone appeared in twelve games as a reserve free safety in 2002. He finished that year with 24 tackles (14 solos) and intercepted two passes for 31 yards in returns. He was an Academic All-Western Athletic Conference choice while seeing action in fourteen games as a reserve in 2003. He capped the year with 45 tackles (32 solos), a sack and two stops for losses.

Culver took over free safety duties in 2004, again earning Academic All-WAC honors. He totaled 65 tackles (32 solos) with a sack, two stops behind the line of scrimmage and a 37-yard interception return. Tyrone was named first-team All-WAC as a senior. He collected 44 tackles (23 solos) with two sacks, as he intercepted two passes, deflected seven others and recovered a fumble that he advanced for a touchdown.

In 51 games at Fresno State, Culver started 26 times. He recorded 178 tackles (101 solos) with four sacks for minus 19 yards and six stops for losses of 22 yards. He recovered three fumbles, returning one 30 yards for a touchdown. He had two forced fumbles and deflected fourteen passes. He also gained 72 yards on five interception returns.

CAREER NOTES
Produced 109 of his career 178 tackles during his last two seasons with the Bulldogs... Was a four-time Academic All-Western Athletic Conference choice.

2005 SEASON
All-Western Athletic Conference first-team and Academic All-WAC choice...Started all year at free safety, recording 44 tackles (23 solos) with two sacks for minus 10 yards and a pair of forced fumbles...Recovered a fumble that he advanced 30 yards for a touchdown and gained 4 yards on two interceptions...Also deflected seven passes.

2004 SEASON
Academic All-WAC choice...Took over free safety duties, ranking second on the team with a career-high 65 tackles (32 solos), including a 4-yard sack and two stops for losses of 5 yards...Recovered a fumble and deflected five passes...Returned an interception 37 yards.

2003 SEASON
Academic All-WAC pick...Played in fourteen games, starting at free safety vs. Tennessee... Recorded 45 tackles (32 solos) with a 5-yard sack and two stops for losses of 7 yards... Recovered a fumble and deflected one pass.

2002 SEASON
Academic All-WAC pick...Appeared in twelve games as a reserve free safety, finishing with 24 tackles (14 solos), two interceptions for 31 yards in returns and a pass deflection...Had a 31-yard interception return vs. Hawaii and another pass theft in the Louisiana Tech game.

2001 SEASON
Redshirted as a freshman.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.63 in the 40-yard dash...320-pound bench press...Bench presses 225 pounds 23 times... 445-pound squat...324-pound power clean...308-pound hang clean...39.5-inch vertical jump...10'9" broad jump...4.35 20-yard shuttle...7.25 three-cone drill...32 _-inch arm length...9-inch hands...Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Palmdale (Cal.) High School, playing football for head coach Jeff Williams... Selected to the Los Angeles Times All-Star team as a senior...Added Southern Section Scholar-Athlete, team MVP and League Defensive Player of the Year honors...Also earned first-team All-Golden League and All-CIF honors, in addition to being a member of the Los Angeles Daily News All-Star team.

PERSONAL
Health Science major...Son of Jackie and Lanell Culver...Born 7/06/83...Resides in Palmdale, California.

CyclonePackFan
04-30-2006, 02:16 PM
It's so aggrivating to look at these 2nd day picks because everyone beyond probably the 10th pick in the 4th round is nothing but a project.

The one constant I'm seeing is that TT is taking athletes who all for the most part are considered to be intelligent. I've seen "good at everything not great at anything" several times now.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 02:17 PM
SUNDAY, April 30, 2006, 2:11 p.m.

By Cliff Christl
Philbin on Moll

Tony Moll, drafted by the Packers in the fifth round, started at tackle during his senior season at Nevada. Moll was moved from tight end.

Joe Philbin, offensive line coach, said Moll probably would line up at tackle first, but also would likely get a look at guard. Moll played weaks-side tackle at Nevada so he flip-flopped between the left and right sides.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2006, 02:18 PM
"Tyrone Culver DB Fresno St"

Yeah Fresno States guy! Now I can be a homer about it!

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 02:19 PM
It's so aggrivating to look at these 2nd day picks because everyone beyond probably the 10th pick in the 4th round is nothing but a project.

And yet some of them will pan out. Hopefully ours will. This is like betting on the 30:1 longshot at the race track.

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 02:19 PM
"Tyrone Culver DB Fresno St"

Yeah Fresno States guy! Now I can be a homer about it!

Ha! Palmdale native - he's gonna be freezing in GB (probably cuz his ass will be on the frozen bench). Seriously though, it's a project but an interesting guy.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 02:21 PM
We don't pick again till 253?

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
I think it is a good pick. It will be tough for Culver to make the roster, but maybe he will be a practice team player.

jack's smirking revenge
04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Surprised Mike Hass and Johnathan Orr dropped to the 6th.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Jolly went where I projected him. I had Culver as more of a 7th round pick, but he has intriguing potential, and at this point guys that were projected as 7th round picks or FAs are going left and right, so can't argue with the picks too much. All of the teams that drafted around Green Bay at this point have been doing the same thing.

Fosco33
Take the Jewish Hammer at 253!

MadtownPacker
Strengths:
Gets a good push in the middle...Very strong and powerful...Versatile and could play multiple positions...Competitive and intense...Hard worker and leader...Will beat blockers & collapse the pocket...Three-year starter with lots of experience.

Weaknesses:

Funny thing is his weaknesses make him a perfect fit in the D scheme. He just needs to clog up the middle and that is his strength.

Deputy Nutz
I am a bit disappointed that a team has not selected Hank Baskett from New Mexico. The guy is a big strong reciever. Must not have impressed during workouts.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 02:25 PM
DT Johnny Jolly
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 310 pounds

Pros: He plays with low pads, which allows him to get good use of his fine functional strength to hold the point of attack. He has agility, balance, can change directions, gives good effort and has been a productive defender over his long career at a high level of competition. He has fine natural, functional, football strength and is able to make good use of it on the field.

Cons: He usually needs to win early in the down and needs technique development to take his game up a level from that standpoint.

Numbers: As a senior, he started 11 games and totaled 64 tackles with eight tackles for loss and three sacks. At the Combine, he ran a 5.43 40-yard dash, did not lift and recorded 8-foot-8 broad jump.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Good point Mad....

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 02:26 PM
S Tyrone Culver
Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 195 pounds

Pros: Culver is a playmaker who is instinctive and shows the athleticism of a cornerback in coverage. He is a good free safety prospect with sure tackling skills and intangibles to develop quickly as a pro. His fine instincts and coverage skills may warrant a late round selection. He has good explosion. He is reliable in the deep patrol and is seldom ever beaten. He is aggressive as a tackler and has fine intangibles. He has fine consistency and is fairly physical and tough.

Cons: He was mainly a zone free safety, but he has the athletic frame and skills that are more like a cornerback. He is not the most instinctive deep defender. His feet are good and quick, though he lacks the flex in his hips to turn easily and can lose a step coming out of his breaks. He has a tendency to play it safe and doesn’t make as many plays on the ball as you would want for a free safety. He needs to show more consistent awareness and improve his ball skills.

Numbers: Did not attend the NFL Combine. At the Fresno State pro day, he was timed at 4.63 and 4.60 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He had a 39” vertical jump and a 10’9⠢‚¬Â broad jump, a 4.35 short shuttle, and a 7.25 three-cone drill. He did 23 reps in the 225-pound bench press.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Take the Jewish Hammer at 253!

I guess, Maybe as a free agent. It is looking more like he will be available after the draft.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Just off a gut feeling:

Like the pick:
LB A.J. Hawk
OG Daryn Colledge
LB Abdul Hodge
CB Will Blackmon
S Tyrone Culver

Don't like the pick:
OG Jason Spitz
WR Cory Rodgers
OT Tony Moll

Neither have a good or bad feeling about the pick:
WR Greg Jennings (solid prospect went right where I projected, but I liked Hagan and D. Williams more, can't really argue the pick though because a lot of boards had him highly rated)
QB Ingle Martin
DT Johnny Jolly

Love the fact that Thompson acquired this many picks though. He doesn't have to even hit on half these guys. If he hits on 5 of them, it will be a great draft and I think 4 or 5 of them are pretty good bets to be starters down the line (Hawk, Colledge, Hodge, Jennings, and maybe Blackmon).

packrulz
04-30-2006, 02:40 PM
I think Ingle Martin is a sleeper because he switched teams. He has the arm & physical attributes.

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Big Will is hilarious and very down to earth - glad he resigned w/ the Pack.

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 02:42 PM
I think Ingle Martin is a sleeper because he switched teams. He has the arm & physical attributes.

Agreed. I like the Pick b/c we need a 3rd stringer w/ some potential upside.

Fritz
04-30-2006, 02:45 PM
I am a bit disappointed that a team has not selected Hank Baskett from New Mexico. The guy is a big strong reciever. Must not have impressed during workouts.

I am with you on this one Nutz. Then we could have named him Hank "Skin" Baskett, after our own Packerrats poster!

As for the picks, everybody's a project at this point, no? And TT drafted Mike Montgomery last year in the sixth, so give him and the scouts some credit on some of these guys.

Patler
04-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Harvey, what don't you like about Rogers? Could be GB's return guy this year, with more to offer as a receiver than Chatman had.

jramsey495
04-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Wasn't Montgomery from Texas A&M as well?

Fritz
04-30-2006, 02:51 PM
One of the things I like about having so many picks is that there will be some serious competition. Think about it: Driver, Gardner, Ferguson, Boerigter, Vince Butler, Chad Lucas, Greg Jennings, Cory Rodgers, all fighting over what, five spots? Then there's Marviel Underwood, Collins, Marquand Whatever, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Ahmad Carroll, Mike Hawkins, Patrick Dendry, Jason Horton, Will Blackmon, and Tyrone Culver all competing back there. Same on the offensive and defensive lines.

We also got our third QB, a project that can be developed in the next three years.

I like this draft. Compare this to the drafts of any of the rivals in the North, and this one stacks up favorably.

A side note, finally, for you Wisconsin fans who were upset the Pack didn't take Calhoun: Lions fans and commentators are howling about the Lions using a third round pick on a guy they consider a third down back.

Tarlam!
04-30-2006, 02:53 PM

Agreed. I like the Pick b/c we need a 3rd stringer w/ some potential upside.

That reminds of Nall - didn't he switch teams or something?

Can somebody check if Inglebert HumperMartin threw Javelin in school?

Homer Jay
04-30-2006, 02:54 PM
My thoughts exactly Fritz. Competition is great and our special teams should be much improved. A guy like Ferguson can no longer be sure his job is safe.

Tony Oday
04-30-2006, 02:57 PM
I bet we take a Guard in the last round :) hehe It seems like we always go OL there to get that 'gem' starter ;)

packrulz
04-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Anthony Mix, TE, Auburn is still on the board. He's 6-4, 235, & runs 4.51 40.

packrulz
04-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Eric Henderson, DE, Georgia Tech is still on the board. He's a good pass rusher when he's healthy.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Mix was a wide reciever for Auburn, and is trying to make the transition to tight end.

packrulz
04-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Mike Bell, RB, Arizona is still on the board. I just hope TT doesn't draft a kicker in the 7th.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Harvey, what don't you like about Rogers? Could be GB's return guy this year, with more to offer as a receiver than Chatman had.

I thought he went way higher than he should have. I don't like taking return guys early in the 4th round. Of course, I can be wrong, but Demetrius Williams, Jason Avant, Brandon Marshall were all on the board. What I really don't understand is that Thompson and McCarthy said they need big receivers, and then they went out and drafted two guys that are a little under 6' tall--when there were big receivers still on the board. Seems to go against their philosophy.

Tarlam!
04-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Eric Henderson, DE, Georgia Tech is still on the board. He's a good pass rusher when he's healthy.

I hope we pick up A.J's team mate from Ohio State. Nutz dubbed him Kampy Jr, cause he's smaller, but with a huge motor.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Yeah, Kudla would be a nice pick, but don't expect any guys that we've heard of in the 7th round.
:D

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Overall, I liked the draft, but I can't help but think we passed on some guys that I had fallen in love with. I hope we don't regret it. I see Denver drafted both Chris Kuper and Greg Eslinger while we took Tony Moll over both guys. Ugh! We took Cory Rodgers and passed on Demetrius Williams. We took Ingle Martin instead of Reggie McNeal and Bruce Gradkowski. We took Johnny Jolly when Rodrique Wright was still available.

You can't judge a draft for 3 years, but my initial grade (totally meaningless at this point) would be a B+.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 03:28 PM
On a side note: This is the first draft in a while that there is so much competition. We don't know if these guys are going to make it. We don't know if the incumbents are going to win out. Shermans guys were a solid bet to make the team only because they were the only players there to fill the position. Any player who make it is going to have to be hunger. If not they'll lose their job to someone who is...

I feel pretty good about the debth. It's not perfect but it's the best it's been since about a year after wolf left.

Merlin
04-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I bet we take a Guard in the last round :) hehe It seems like we always go OL there to get that 'gem' starter ;)

I think we will take an OL for the last pick. We seem to find some good ones late. Nothing like having competition for one spot!

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 03:49 PM
On a side note: This is the first draft in a while that there is so much competition. We don't know if these guys are going to make it. We don't know if the incumbents are going to win out. Shermans guys were a solid bet to make the team only because they were the only players there to fill the position. Any player who make it is going to have to be hunger. If not they'll lose their job to someone who is...

I feel pretty good about the debth. It's not perfect but it's the best it's been since about a year after wolf left.

What's your under/over on how many of these picks that make the 53 man roster?

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 03:50 PM

You didn't ask me, but I'll say 8.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Either Thompson truly goes by his draft board and rankings with all of these small school prospects and sleepers, or he consistently reaches on all of his picks. Hawk and Hodge are the only two players that I didn't really think he reached on. I guess I would throw Jolly into that group as well.

I liked Colledge but I thinkers could have gotten him in the third round. But if they didn't there were still other prospects at guard that they could have taken and not have missed a beat with.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Darn! Some guys I like are coming off the board. James Wyche, Fred Mutua, Ryan LaCasse, and Todd Watkins.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 03:53 PM
I can't believe that Matua dropped this far. That was just goofy.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Darn! Some guys I like are coming off the board. James Wyche, Fred Mutua, Ryan LaCasse, and Todd Watkins.

Do you think GB would have drafted anybody on our board anyways ?

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Tim McGarigle- ILB from the Wildcats just was drafted. Good player; he'll make the Rams

Tarlam!
04-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Hawk and Hodge are the only two players that I didn't really think he reached on. I guess I would throw Jolly into that group as well.

....they could have taken and not have missed a beat with.

If you look at a comment TT makes over on Packers.com, I disagree with this Nutz.

They have a list of criteria by which they rate players, and ability to play their position seems like only 50% of what they value. I bet size is 10%, ability to play in GB (small, chilly) 10%, character 10%, team ability 10%, work ethic 10% and intangibles 10%

Now, they'll be able to investigate the latter 50%, while we can focus on film and stories that allow us to view the first 50%. We get a glimpse of the other stuff, but they dig deep.

I think TT picked these players, because that's where he had them.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Klemm, Roman, Carroll, Peterson, Washington, Boerigter

Those guys better watch out....Their jobs arn't oh so secure. If Hawkins passes Carroll on the depth chart I could see Blackmon sneaking into that spot. Probably won't happen but Carroll better step up. Also, Harris is looking like he has one year left. I don't think we should get too attached to him.

Scott Campbell
Stay in school kids.

POSTED 6:18 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 6:24 p.m. EDT, April 29, 2006

LEINART'S LAST SEASON COST NEARLY $40 MILLION

It's a question we've received from multiple readers while covering every pick from one through 40 in the 2006 draft.

How much did that ballroom dancing class cost USC quarterback Matt Leinart?

If he'd come out in 2005, Matt would have been in line for a deal worth $24 million in guaranteed money alone. As the tenth overall pick a year later, he'll get less. A lot less.

The No. 10 selection in 2005, former Trojan teammate Mike Williams, received a signing bonus of $1 million, a roster bonus of $1.265 million, an option bonus $6.235 million guaranteed by future base salaries, and $2 million in guaranteed base salaries after the execution of the option bonus.

That's $10.5 million in guaranteed money. The difference? $13.5 million.

And that's just the guaranteed money. As the No. 1 overall pick, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith had plenty more in readily attainable incentives jammed into the deal -- a lot more than the No. 10 selection a year later would get. Smith's total package was worth $54 million over six years. The package that Mike Williams received had a maximum value over five years of $13.5 million.

Sure, Leinart will get more than Williams because it's a new year and Matt's a quarterback. But the difference, in the end, will still be in the neighborhood of $40 million.

Wow. $40 million bucks. All because Leinart wanted to be young, have fun, and drink Pepsi for one more year.

And shame on the folks around Matt who didn't urge him to get the hell out of school when his stock could be no higher.

Shame also on coach Pete Carroll. Even if Matt decided to return on his own with no input from Carroll, the head coach should have had a heart-to-heart with the 2004 Heisman winner, urging him to strike while the iron is hot.

At the end of the day, the $40 million that forever has been lost came out of Leinart's pocket -- and we hope that at some point Matt figures it out.

Tarlam!
Nite Rats. Gotta go shuteye...

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 04:04 PM
DON'T BE A BADGER HATER TT

DRAFT MATT BERNSTEIN

OS PA
04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Damnit, I was hoping Devin Aramashadou had dropped to us, but nope someone finally saw the potential!

Rastak
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Damnit, I was hoping Devin Aramashadou had dropped to us, but nope someone finally saw the potential!

Why did he drop so damn far.....

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Top Rated Players Left:

RB Mike Bell, Arizona
RB Andre Hall, South Florida (more of a 3rd down back)
RB Gerald Riggs, Tennessee
FB Matt Bernstein, Wisconsin
WR Martin Nance, Miami (Ohio)
WR Hank Baskett, New Mexico
WR Greg Lee, Pittsburgh
TE Tim Day, Oregon
OT Troy Reddick, Auburn
OG Mark Setterstrom, Minnesota
OC Patrick Ross, Boston College
DE Stanley McClover, Auburn
DE Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech
DE Mike Kudla, Ohio State
LB/S Brian Iwuh, Colorado
OLB Spencer Havner, UCLA
ILB Dale Robinson, Arizona State
CB Dee Webb, Florida
CB Anwar Phillips, Penn State
CB Charles Gordon, Kansas
CB Darrell Hunter, Miami (Ohio)

Hopefully, we can pick up some of these guys as street FAs.

OS PA
04-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Why are Martin Nance, Mark Setterstrom, and Mike Kudla still around?

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 04:26 PM

i wanted devin too. who picked him?

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 04:29 PM
nevermind, i see miami got him. aromashadu would have been a nice developmental player

OS PA
04-30-2006, 04:30 PM
How long after the draft does it take to pick up UDFAs?

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 04:31 PM
This draft has been interersting so far.

How do you like that comentary? Not quite Willie Henderson but I do my best.

Patler
04-30-2006, 04:32 PM
How long after the draft does it take to pick up UDFAs?

It starts almost immediately. Many will be announced tomorrow, I suspect.

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Nobody cares about MR. R???

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Setterstrom was just drafted by St. Louis. Dee Webb got drafted also.

Check out some of the guys not even projected to get drafted by anyone that are going late (probably will end up being a good player or two from this group):

WR Bennie Brazell
OG Tyler Reed
OG Kili Lefotu
OG Tony Palmer
DT Chase Page
CB Ethan Kilmer
CB Courtland Finegan
CB Justin Phinisee
CB T.J. Rushing
S Justin Hamilton

OS PA
04-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Martin Nance, projected as a top 100 by some still available...

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 05:01 PM
POSTED 3:41 p.m. EDT, April 30, 2006

BENGALS CRITICIZED FOR COLLECTING TURDS

The recent addition of USC defensive end Frostee Rucker and Florida State linebacker A. J. Nicholson has prompted one high-level league source to question the continued collection of players of questionable character by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis.

"What the f--- are they doing?" said the source. "Rucker and Nicholson? Give me a break. They are sabotaging the organization by picking bad players like [Odell] Thurman, [Chris] Henry, and those two."

Nicholson was suspended by the Seminoles prior to the Orange Bowl after an alleged sexual assault. Rucker had been removed from the draft boards of multiple teams for reasons, as we hear it, unrelated to his performance or skill.

The Bengals selected Thurman and Henry in 2005. Thurman was benched for the early portion of a game during his rookie season, and there were constant whispers and rumblings of repeated violations of team rules. He was actually kicked off of the Georgia team during his freshman year due to multiple disciplinary issues, including a bar fight. Henry was arrested in December for possession of marijuana, and he faces far more serious charges of felony assault in Florida after allegedly pointing a gun at a group of folks in the offseason.

Meanwhile, there continue to be concerns that Lewis is showing excessively favorable treatment to receiver Chad Johnson, who recently scored an extension to a contract that still had four years left on it -- even after reportedly sparking a locker room brouhaha during halftime of the team's playoff loss to the Steelers.

OS PA
04-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Packers select Dave Tollefson DE Northwest Missouri State

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 05:06 PM
THe last player selected in the 2006 draft is KEvin McMahan from the university of Maine.

Fosco33
04-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Great thread, everyone! Now it's on to the real stuff, mini and training camp - signings and roster moves. TT and M3 have plenty to sort through before Aug/Sept. LET'S GO PACK!

swede
04-30-2006, 05:11 PM
2224 replies to your thread Rastak.

Not bad for Packer Rats first draft.

Mini Camp!

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 05:12 PM

Reach!!! Reach!!!

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Just to give everyone a heads up, I will be doing an Official Winners and Losers Special on the 2006 NFL Draft.

Well another end of the most entertaining weekend in football. I love the NFL draft!

Just to let everyone know, Packerrats.com kicked ass this weekend during the draft. Mad got the homepage set up just in time and it was pretty terrific. this was just a huge weekend for us and hopefully all those that decided to poke their head in here to see what was going on decided that they liked what they saw and have decided to stay for a little while.

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Just to give everyone a heads up, I will be doing an Official Winners and Losers Special on the 2006 NFL Draft.

Well another end of the most entertaining weekend in football. I love the NFL draft!

Just to let everyone know, Packerrats.com kicked ass this weekend during the draft. Mad got the homepage set up just in time and it was pretty terrific. this was just a huge weekend for us and hopefully all those that decided to poke their head in here to see what was going on decided that they liked what they saw and have decided to stay for a little while.

i'm in agreement with nutz.

great board, glad to be in the midst of guys who actually know how to speak in complete sentences without using the word "idiot" like its a punctuation mark.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 05:17 PM

Well TT is consistent; never heard of him and no info out on him in the obvious spots

pacfan
04-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks to Rastak for the thread, Madtown for the forum, and to Harv, Bretsky, SC, Fritz, Merlin (the list is long and I can't remember everybody) and all your research and commentary. Your work made this draft very, very cool. The spot-on analysis, player bios, and all the other commentary was sooo much better than ESPN and the NFL network.

Thanks.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks to Rastak for the thread, Madtown for the forum, and to Harv, Bretsky, SC, Fritz, Merlin (the list is long and I can't remember everybody) and all your research and commentary. Your work made this draft very, very cool. The spot-on analysis, player bios, and all the other commentary was sooo much better than ESPN and the NFL network.

Thanks.

YES, great job everybody and thanks for all !

Go Pack

Partial
04-30-2006, 05:23 PM
4 more picks and they're on the clock!!!

Partial
04-30-2006, 05:24 PM
has no one really posted on here in hours or am I crazy?

MJZiggy
04-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I can't believe I missed Hendo go off.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Well TT is consistent; never heard of him and no info out on him in the obvious spots

Well, the only thing I will say is that it's not unusual. Look at some of these names late:

WR Bennie Brazell
WR Kevin McMahon
OG Tyler Reed
OG Kili Lefotu
OG Tony Palmer
OG Aaron Merz
DE Dave Tollefson
DT Chase Page
LB Spencer Toone
LB Anthony Cannon
CB Ethan Kilmer
CB Courtland Finegan
CB Justin Phinisee
CB T.J. Rushing
S Justin Hamilton
S Vickiel Vaughn

I don't think most of these guys were on most draft boards. None were projected to get picked.

Partial
04-30-2006, 05:26 PM
have these forums been down? I was gone.

What does everyone think of our picks!?!

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 05:31 PM

Thanks.

I think this was pretty entertaining for everyone involved. Glad you joined us.

Our first year Packer Rats draft thread went for about 113 pages in a little over 30 hours. Next year I think we need at least 200 pages. I'm sure we'll get a nice bump in post count just by not letting the Viking troll start the thread.

Rastak
04-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Thanks.

I think this was pretty entertaining for everyone involved. Glad you joined us.

Our first year Packer Rats draft thread went for about 113 pages in a little over 30 hours. Next year I think we need at least 200 pages. I'm sure we'll get a nice bump in post count just by not letting the Viking troll start the thread.

Two years running Scott......by the way, I'm not a troll despite the title Mad gave me..... :cool:

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 05:41 PM
have these forums been down? I was gone.

What does everyone think of our picks!?!

I haven't did all the research on each one yet, but my gut gives TT a C.

He added a lot of depth but seems to prefer the projects over players that might contribute sooner.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Based on my little knowledge

Hawk - Right pick...Star player at weak position..Lucky pick.....
Colledge - Very athletic, very smart, hard working...Great pick
Jennings - I think he'll be the #3 WR by seasons end
Hodge - Nice player, Solid starter. The kind of player you want on the field.
Spitz - Hard worker, Doesn't fit, Great motor, Looks like a Center only to me.
Rodgers - Is going to have to battle for a spot on the team. Great return potential.....Solid football player. Just makes plays.
Blackmon - Great with the ball, great athlete, special teamer who is a project at CB
Martin - Great pick, Smart, Fast, Strong arm, good player to take a chance on. Has all the skills
Moll - Thompson labeled this guy as the unique late day player when asked. Very Raw TE convert to OT. Might fly, might fall

Last three who knows. I think the DE could be damn good.

I project Hawk, Colledge and Hodge as immediate starters. I think they could easily get 5 out of this group in a year or two. If I had to take a blind stab, which is what it is, I would say it will eventually grade out to be an A. Hawk is just that great and many others could be really good starters.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Excellent job on draft coverage and commentary by everyone. It was truly interactive.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the cool site Mad.....

Rastak
04-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Excellent job on draft coverage and commentary by everyone. It was truly interactive.

Ditto...thanks Mad, great job on the site....

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 06:09 PM

You didn't ask me, but I'll say 8.

I'd say that's a pretty good guess Harv. I was thinking 8 or 9, just because Ted seemed inclined to go with the unproven guys last year if it was a close call.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 06:09 PM
SUNDAY, April 30, 2006, 5:08 p.m.

By Rick Klauer
Tollefson fishing, closes out Packers' draft

With their final pick and the third-to-last pick in the draft, the Green Bay Packers selected Dave Tollefson, a defensive end from Northwest Missouri State.
Dave Tollefson. Photo/Northwest Missouri State
Tollefson is 6-foot-4 and 255 pounds.

The Packers' media relations department tried to contact Tollefson for an interview with the media, but was told that he "is currently fishing."

When finally reached through a cell phone, Tollefson said that a friend entered him in a bass tournament today. He said he caught five fish - the limit - and admitted that he has never gone ice fishing.

Tollefson also said that he "wasn't expecting to be drafted," but added it was "a pleasant surprise." He set a Northwest Missouri State single season-record with 12 1/2 sacks.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Updated: April 29, 2006
Wroten falls down to the third round
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Character counts.

That message was delivered loud and clear by NFL teams on the first day of the 2006 draft. Transgress off the field and, it seems, you regress on teams' draft boards.

Just ask Claude Wroten of LSU, rated by many scouts as the most athletically gifted defensive tackle in this year's talent pool but left undrafted on Saturday until the fourth choice in the third round, when Arizona stopped his free-fall.

In a letter sent to all 32 franchises two weeks ago, a supposedly contrite Wroten allowed that he had tested positive for marijuana during his college career. He explained the details of an arrest in early February, when police cited him for possession to distribute marijuana, charges that subsequently were dismissed because of lack of evidence.

During a recent interview with ESPN.com, Wroten insisted he had sworn off marijuana and acknowledged he feared his indiscretions might cost him a professional football career.

And then, shortly after teams received Wroten's letter, they were notified by the league that the former LSU star was one of two players who had tested positive at the scouting combine sessions. And whatever chances Wroten had of salvaging his high-round draft status went up in smoke, literally and figuratively.

"From a pure talent standpoint," agreed one AFC general manager a few hours before the start of Saturday's proceedings, "(Wroten) is probably one of the best tackles I've seen in the last few years. But you make an investment in these guys, and you have to protect it. I'm not going to let a 'character' guy cost me money. Sooner or later, maybe some of these guys will understand how much (money) they're costing themselves. Basically, teams have decided we're going to make examples of these guys."

On a first day in which teams demonstrated the increasing emphasis on selecting prospects as solid off the field as they are on it, Wroten was hardly the only highly-regarded player to pay a steep price.

Once projected as a possible top 10 selection, Southern California tailback LenDale White slid all the way to the 13th pick in the second round, the 45th selection overall, not because of drug tests but rather the perception he lacks a strong work ethic. Complicating the White situation was that he never completed a 40-yard dash for scouts because of a hamstring injury that will sideline him until mid-May. The drop to the second round cost White millions of dollars.

"Right now," said White on Saturday, "I'm looking at a 31-team chip on my shoulder."

A published report Friday claimed White had failed an NFL drug test, but the report was deemed erroneous. The only function at which an NFL drug test is administered is the scouting combine in Indianapolis. And the only player besides Wroten to be flagged for a positive combine test was Missouri State kicker Jon Scifres.

Four general managers or personnel directors contacted by ESPN.com on Friday and Saturday said there was no follow-up letter citing additional positive tests. All four said they were unfamiliar with any league tests that White might have failed.

Teams are not permitted to conduct drug screenings on players when they bring them to their complexes for individual pre-draft meetings. That said, a few franchises skirt the rules and do conduct such tests. Those teams, though, would have no reason, given the competitive nature of the draft, to share or leak the results.

"The reports (on White) were false," said Titans coach Jeff Fisher. "We just feel that, considering the ability he has, and the production he had (in college), and the running style he brings to this franchise, this was a player too good to pass up."

Still, had scouts not perceived some character issues with White, there is no way he would have been available to the Titans in the second round.

Another former USC star who dropped out of the first round for character reasons was offensive tackle Winston Justice, regarded by many as the second-best prospect in the draft at the position. Some projections had the Philadelphia Eagles grabbing Justice in the first round. But they passed on Justice in the opening stanza, and so did everyone else. Ironically, it was the Eagles who tossed Justice a safety net in the second round, taking him with the 39th overall selection.

Virginia Tech star Jimmy Williams, who entered his senior season with the Hokies rated as the nation's premier defensive back, fell out of the first round, in part because of the feeling of many teams that he had some personality flaws. Williams was chosen by the Atlanta Falcons in the second round.

packrulz
04-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Dave Tollefson. http://www.bearcatblitz.com/tollefson.jpg

Looks like a tough dude. Reminds me of Kampman.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 06:45 PM
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive

NEW YORK -- It was supposed to be a draft of linebackers and defensive backs, but the surprise position Saturday on Day 1 of the 2006 NFL draft was offensive line.

Ten offensive tackles went during the first three rounds. That's the most since 2000, when 10 tackles went in a year that produced Chris Samuels of the Redskins, Mark Tauscher of the Packers and Marvel Smith of the Steelers.

Even though D'Brickashaw Ferguson was the only tackle to go in the first round, nine went between picks 39 and 89.

One reason so many tackles went in the first 89 picks is that the position is thin. Teams felt more urgency to draft offensive linemen in the first day.

"There aren't a lot of offensive linemen, and the class is pretty thin," Steelers vice president Kevin Colbert said. "There aren't a lot as you go forward."

The second round was full of surprises. The Packers raised a few eyebrows by taking Daryn Colledge from Boise State in the second round with the 47th pick after Winston Justice of USC went to the Eagles with the 39th pick. Colledge is considered a pretty good developmental tackle, but it was surprising to see him go before Marcus McNeill of Auburn.

Tthe bigger surprises came when the Vikings used a second-round pick on tackle Ryan Cook of New Mexico, and the Panthers used a third-rounder on Rashad Butler of Miami. Another surprise was the Raiders taking Weber State's Paul McQuistan in the third. Those three all were considered second-day prospects.

"If you are going to go for an offensive lineman, you have to go for them a little earlier, because there aren't a lot of them," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said.

The rush to draft tackles cost guards, a position that usually gets hot in the second and third rounds. Only four guards went in first three rounds. Two of big name guards -- Max Jean-Gilles of Georgia and Fred Matua of USC -- sat through the first day without being selected.

Teams had to be strategic in getting their linemen. Credit the Jets with being smart. But, of course, they had the most urgent needs. The Jets might have had the least-talented offensinve line in the NFL heading into Sautrday. But after drafting Ferguson and center Nick Mangold in the first round, that will change. Both are considered to be among the best at their positions in the past few years.

The Texans might have been the luckiest team in terms of offensive linemen. After years of waiting for the offensive line to come together, the Texans sat back and grabbed tackle Eric Winston of Miami and guard Charles Spencer of Pitt with the 65th and 66th picks, giving them second-round values in the third round.

"We were fortunate to get Winston and Spencer after the second round," Texans general manager Charley Casserley said. "We think they could really help us."

Overall, it was a strange day for offensive linemen. More tackles went than expected, and it could be a thin draft for blockers after the fourth round, when some of the top remaining guards will go.

Teams still needing offensive line help will have to tackle the already depleted free-agent market.

Guiness
04-30-2006, 07:10 PM
SUNDAY, April 30, 2006, 5:08 p.m.

By Rick Klauer
Tollefson fishing, closes out Packers' draft

Heh. He'll fit it. Too bad Riviera isn't around any more to take him to Alaska for salmon.

So, who was that Jewish hammer guy, and did he get drafted?

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Matt Bernstein, the UW Madison fullback, did not get drafted