PDA

View Full Version : Robert Meachem already running into problems...

packers11
05-15-2007, 09:46 PM
USAToday.com

First-round pick Robert Meachem caught more flack than passes in his first appearance on the Saints' practice field. On Sunday, the receiver limped around with a brace on his left ankle, which he said he hurt during practice that morning. He hoped he would be able to practice again before rookie camp ended Monday. But even before the injury, the former Tennessee star had a tough time keeping up with the intense pace of Sean Payton's opening practices, the coach said.

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Bretsky has been pretty poor with the guys he's wanted the Packers to take in round 1, so Meachem is destined to suck.
:D

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Bretsky has been pretty poor with the guys he's wanted the Packers to take in round 1, so Meachem is destined to suck.

The Bretsky Curse?

Maybe I could get him to pick stocks for me so that I could short them.

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 10:33 PM

low blow

what about

AJ HAWK ????

Bretsky
05-15-2007, 10:34 PM

The Bretsky Curse?

That would be a move that would work for you lately. Can I charge you a commission as well :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 10:39 PM

The Bretsky Curse?

That would be a move that would work for you lately. Can I charge you a commission as well :lol:

Sure, as long as I'm makin $$$.

Zool
05-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Lets go with guys that B wants but the Packers dont draft in the 1st. Meachum should be suspended soon shouldnt he B?

Bretsky
05-16-2007, 07:56 AM
lol;

Will be interesting to see if Meacham or Harrell has a greater impact.

I view them both as kind of luxury picks as opposed to need for both teams.

NO wasn't really looking for a WR that high but Meachem fell in their laps.
GB was stocked pretty well on the DL but TT fell in live with Harrell.

Zool
05-16-2007, 07:57 AM
I personally hope he falls on his face. If he turns out to be a stud, the Saints will be insane on O.

Bretsky
05-16-2007, 08:04 AM
I personally hope he falls on his face. If he turns out to be a stud, the Saints will be insane on O.

Phooeeyy

You just don't want to see me posting Meachem highlights all next year :lol:

It's of a bit of consolation that I read the three players TT was considering there were Hall, Harrell, and Meachem.

Cheesehead Craig
05-16-2007, 08:15 AM

Phooeeyy

It's of a bit of consolation that I read the three players TT was considering there were Hall, Harrell, and Meachem.
I was a Meachem guy as well, so put up the highlights 8-)

Zool
05-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Phooeeyy

It's of a bit of consolation that I read the three players TT was considering there were Hall, Harrell, and Meachem.I dont ever recall saying something negative about Meachum I guess, I just dont want anyone on another team to succeed. I actually think Bowe will be good, but now that he's not a Packer I hope he's Turd Ferguson Jr.

Fritz
05-16-2007, 08:55 AM

low blow

what about

AJ HAWK ????

Ah, Bretsky. What about Odell Thurman? You and I both whiffed on that one.

I am, strangely, glad to see that Meachem could turn out to be a whiny weiner. That might make some TT haters feel a little better about Harrell - unless Harrell wrecks his biceps right away...

Bretsky
05-16-2007, 09:00 AM

low blow

what about

AJ HAWK ????

Ah, Bretsky. What about Odell Thurman? You and I both whiffed on that one.

I am, strangely, glad to see that Meachem could turn out to be a whiny weiner. That might make some TT haters feel a little better about Harrell - unless Harrell wrecks his biceps right away...

Yes, I'll never live down dirty Odell. But it's part of the fun. He was still an outstanding talent; nobody can deny that. None of us realized how messed up of a person that he was.

Fritz
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
As I said, I was with you on that pick. But that's part of the fun and part of the problem - we simply don't have access to the same info that GM's and scouts do, so we make our judgments - and our criticisms - somewhat blindly. Obviously neither you nor I nor many if any fans knew what a messed up soul Thurman is. So it was easy for us to blast the GM for not picking the guy, but it was right not to.

That's part of the problem I'm having with the whole Randy Moss thing. Favre's claiming that Moss could have been had with a fourth round pick and three mill guaranteed. Earlier reports, if you recall, stated that Moss would only re-negotiate his contract if it was New England he was going to; anywhere else, he wanted the full contract as structured. Who really knows?

We'll just have to see how it plays out for guys like Ahman Green in Houston, Moss in NE, and Meachem in NO and Bowe in KC.

I guess what bothers me - only a little, but still - is that if GB's offense sputters and NE features Moss catching 70 passes and the Pats going to the Super Bowl, then many posters on this site will give TT hell. Which is fine. However, if Moss has a so-so year and then next year becomes even less effective, while the Packers' fourth round pick, the OT Barbre, develops in two years or so into a very solid starting tackle, no one will rip on Favre for blowing up, nor will TT get credit for a move he didn't make.

Oh well. Maybe that's why it's good that TT doesn't care what the fans think.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Robert Meachem: Tweaks Knee in Practice

Update: Meachem, who has been struggling during training camp, appeared to tweak his right knee during practice on Thursday and hobbled through much of practice, the Times-Picayune reports.

Recommendation: Before the start of training camp, Meachem projected as the team's likely No. 3 receiver, but he hasn't lived up to that billing. Meachem will have an opportunity to impress the coaching staff and work his way back up the depth chart during this Friday's exhibition game against the Bills.

RashanGary
08-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Meachem had a nice TD catch last night on the 2nd team offense. Might have been 3rd team acctually.

Bretsky
08-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Meachem had a nice TD catch last night on the 2nd team offense. Might have been 3rd team acctually.

Gotta find that on youtube and play that for the detractors :lol:

Guiness
08-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Yes, I'll never live down dirty Odell. But it's part of the fun. He was still an outstanding talent; nobody can deny that. None of us realized how messed up of a person that he was.

I'd only call Odell half a whiff. He can certainly play the game - it's the other stuff that was the problem.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
You gotta hang your hat on something. He has 3 catches for 26 yards in two games playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but he did catch a 4th quarter TD. I heard it was a nice catch. I've also heard that he's been a big disappointment for them--from their hometown newspaper. He is setup for success though. He could be the 3rd receiver, possibly 2nd if he's in a good, in a passing attack that includes Drew Brees, Marques Colston, and Reggie Bush.

Not only did Meachem get his wig rocked by Steelers CB William Gay in Sunday's Hall of Fame Game, he looked stiff and dropped two passes, one over the middle. Meachem's reluctance to go for balls between the hashes was evident during his time at Tennessee and is one reason he doesn't project to be a true "No. 1 receiver."

HarveyWallbangers
08-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Our guy, Meachem, now has 4 catches for 32 yards and 1 TD in 3 games playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers (as far as I know). James Jones has 10 catches for 116 yards and 2 TDs in 2 games playing against backups and occasionally against starters. It doesn't prove anything yet, but it's interesting nonetheless.

the_idle_threat
08-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Very interesting ... :P

Lurker64
08-20-2007, 02:07 AM
It's just good to note that a lot of rookies, no matter how great they were or how great they will be and no matter who drafted them, struggle out of the gate in camp.

That being said, I'm kinda glad we didn't take Meachem, and of the first round picks taken after 16, there still aren't a lot of guys I really wish were on our roster instead of Harrell. It'll be interesting to see Reggie Nelson in the next preseason game though.

Spaulding
08-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Nelson crumpled to the ground near the goal line in the Jag's last preseason game. Nobody touched him, looked like he planted his left leg wrong. Not sure if serious or not.