PDA

View Full Version : Favre plans to skip minicamp, but could face fines

packers11
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Favre plans to skip minicamp, but could face fines

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Although Brett Favre plans to skip the Green Bay Packers' mandatory minicamp this weekend, he might not be excused by Packers coach Mike McCarthy.
McCarthy was not available for comment Tuesday, but team spokesman Jeff Blumb said that as far as McCarthy was concerned, "the camp is mandatory."

The Packers' three-day minicamp begins Friday, and Favre could face fines from the team if he fails to show up without being formally excused.

Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald that because he is unable to practice while recovering from offseason ankle surgery, he is going to stay home in Mississippi — where he'll apparently try his hand at party planning.

"They were going to have me sit out anyway," Favre said, in a story that appeared on the paper's website on Tuesday. "To be honest, we have (daughter) Brittany graduating in two weeks. Instead of going up there and not doing anything, I will be better off being at home because of graduation parties and banquets."

packers11
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070515/PKR01/70515211/1989

Packers: Favre not excused from minicamp

QB plans to skip mandatory practice

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

Though Brett Favre told a newspaper in Mississippi he won’t attend the Green Bay Packers’ minicamp this weekend, it appears he and the team haven’t made that decision yet.

The Biloxi Sun Herald reported on its Web site Tuesday that Favre said he’ll miss the camp because his recovery from offseason ankle surgery won’t allow him to participate in practice. He prefers to remain in Mississippi to work out, rehabilitate his injury and take part in activities surrounding his oldest daughter’s graduation from high school.

Coach Mike McCarthy was unavailable for comment Tuesday but through a team spokesman gave no indication that Favre has been excused from the mandatory camp, at least not as of Tuesday evening. All signs suggest Favre and McCarthy will talk before making the decision. The minicamp runs Friday through Sunday.

“As far as (McCarthy) is concerned, it’s a mandatory minicamp,” said Jeff Blumb, the Packers’ director of public relations.

Favre had surgery in late February to remove bone spurs from his left ankle and won’t quite be ready to take part in drills for this weekend’s minicamp. But McCarthy has said he wants Favre to attend to introduce him to some of the changes in the offense from last year.

Favre recently has been talking about missing the camp, and continued to do that Monday in his interview with the Sun Herald. The Packers could fine him $8,000 a day if he misses camp and they don’t excuse his absence.

“They were going to have me sit out anyway,” Favre told the newspaper. “To be honest, we have (daughter) Brittany graduating in two weeks. Instead of going up there and not doing anything, I will be better off being at home because of graduation parties and banquets.”

Joemailman
05-15-2007, 10:07 PM
If McCarthy has reason for Favre to be there, then Favre should be there. I was under the impression that Favre wasn't going to be there because the graduation was occurring at the same time as the mini-camp. That apparently is not the case. Hopefully they can work this out. It is hard for me to believe that Favre would refuse to show up and just take the fine.

Rastak
05-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, I know he was excused many times during the Sherman regime, but if it's mandatory and he doesn't show up you either have to fine him or not fine anyone for missing. Yea, I know, he's earned it and all that stuff. Actually, I would probably agree he earned it but do the other guys think so? Probably not. I'm not even sure he earned it actually....mandatory is mandatory.

Before my pal Harv chews me a new one, it isn't a huge deal but I know from watching Minnesota and Moss, having a blantent double standard can cause problems. I think it directly led to how he played for Tice his last year.....not that it equates to Favres situation in GB....totally different thing I would say.

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Well, I know he was excused many times during the Sherman regime, but if it's mandatory and he doesn't show up you either have to fine him or not fine anyone for missing. Yea, I know, he's earned it and all that stuff. Actually, I would probably agree he earned it but do the other guys think so? Probably not. I'm not even sure he earned it actually....mandatory is mandatory.

Before my pal Harv chews me a new one, it isn't a huge deal but I know from watching Minnesota and Moss, having a blantent double standard can cause problems. I think it directly led to how he played for Tice his last year.....not that it equates to Favres situation in GB....totally different thing I would say.

If he had earned "it", I wonder if he squandered "it" by running his mouth.

Rastak
05-15-2007, 10:14 PM

If he had earned "it", I wonder if he squandered "it" by running his mouth.

Hmmm, I don't think so but you never know what TT and M3 are thinking.....

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2007, 10:14 PM
If the team wants him there, then he should be there. Period. I'm guessing McCarthy and Favre will talk, and something will get worked out. This is why they shouldn't have excused him last year and prior years. Favre's expectations are that he can miss some of these camps.

BallHawk
05-15-2007, 10:15 PM
If Favre is not there he should be fined. Mandatory applies to everyone. Favre needs to realize he is no better-off then any other player. In these respects, Brett Favre is completely equal to Arliss Beach or Korey Hall.

I'm sick of this double standard.

Rastak
05-15-2007, 10:18 PM
If the team wants him there, then he should be there. Period. I'm guessing McCarthy and Favre will talk, and something will get worked out. This is why they shouldn't have excused him last year and prior years. Favre's expectations are that he can miss some of these camps.

Yea, good point. Even if they didn't work him much in previous years instead of excusing him it just sends a message to all the other guys and if you are right, a false message to Favre.

Again, my big disclaimer, I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill. It isn't a huge deal but it IS a deal. I'm not trolling on you guys by the way, I really am just giving you my perspective on the issue.

MadtownPacker
05-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Let him skip it, but fine him. He can afford it.

Freak Out
05-16-2007, 12:33 AM
He is going to skip it so TT can get a good look at the post Favre QBs coming up.

PackerBlues
05-16-2007, 01:03 AM
moved

BallHawk
05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Let him skip it, but fine him. He can afford it.

Favre actually being fine means more than the money coming out of his pocket. Fining him would make a statement, that, quite frankly, Favre doesn't get.

cpk1994
05-16-2007, 06:25 AM
I think he did have permission to miss camp, but after Brett ran his mouth, the front office has decided to grandstand as a way of getting back at him.

Rastak
05-16-2007, 06:40 AM
I think he did have permission to miss camp, but after Brett ran his mouth, the front office has decided to grandstand as a way of getting back at him.

Everything I read indicated he never had permission to skip it. I still wouldn't be surprised if they grant that permission to head off any trouble. I think the other players would most likely see through that.

I guess here is where you insert the Iverson "practice, it's practice" rant..... :)

LL2
05-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I agree he should be fined. You have to treat him just like you would this years 7th rd pick. No special treatment. It might piss Favre off, but if he’s man enough he should say the rules and the rules and I will pay them.

cpk1994
05-16-2007, 09:55 AM

Everything I read indicated he never had permission to skip it. I still wouldn't be surprised if they grant that permission to head off any trouble. I think the other players would most likely see through that.

I guess here is where you insert the Iverson "practice, it's practice" rant..... :)

Either way, I guarantee you that because Brett ran his mouth the front office is now grandstanding to the press. I Brett had kept his mouth shut, you wouldn't have heard about it. We would have just assumed he wasn't going to be there and not known the difference.

Packnut
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I just don't get what the big deal is. If he was healthy then I'd agree he has to be there, but to just stand around and hold a clip-board? There or not, it is'nt gonna change anything one way or the other. The same people who claim getting a FA is'nt gonna change things one way or another and that TT is building this team nice and slow, are the same ones criticizing Favre for not wanting to be there. A tad hypocritical is'nt it?

Since we are not competing for a SB this season and since even making the play-offs is a less than 50-50 proposition, then will Favre being there or not matter in the grand scheme of things?

Joemailman
05-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't care why McCarthy wants him there. If McCarthy wants him there, he should be there. It's a mandatory camp for everybody. The best way for Favre to diffuse all the controversy surrounding his recent comments would be to attend the mini-camp. If Brett refuses to show up, that just adds fuel to the fire of those who want to question whether Favre wants to be here.

Packnut
05-16-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't care why McCarthy wants him there. If McCarthy wants him there, he should be there. It's a mandatory camp for everybody. The best way for Favre to diffuse all the controversy surrounding his recent comments would be to attend the mini-camp. If Brett refuses to show up, that just adds fuel to the fire of those who want to question whether Favre wants to be here.

I would agree that if he's not excused he should be there and get fined if he's not. I'm just saying it's not gonna have any bearing on this season.....

PackerBlues
05-16-2007, 10:43 AM
On the other hand, nobody can in all honesty doubt that Favre has given this team more than anyone else in the entire Packers organization. His daughter is about to graduate. If he misses anything thats mandatory because of it, ok......go ahead and fine him. But please, lets not make a federal case out of this. Its just way to petty.