PDA

View Full Version : Ted LOVES Favre, Here's why....

packers04
05-15-2007, 10:23 PM
In my opinion, Favre is buying Ted Thompson time. In the time that Favre is still with the packers, Ted is stockpiling talent to greatly improve the overall team while still being able to win now and be competitive, as shown by last season when we were a giants loss away from being one of the top 12 teams in the league.

When Favre finally retires, its almost like Ted's clock on his tenure will be re-set simply because everyone knows how much of a struggle changing of the guard at QB can be. for arguments sake, If Favre retired two years ago, people would already start calling for regime change in GB after this upcoming season if the packers weren't a playoff team yet. They would say, Ted and Aaron have had 3 years, they arent no ron wolf or brett favre, lets move on.

What having favre still be on this team does is essentially give Ted another 3-4 years without people "SERIOUSLY" calling for his head. This should be enough time for Ted to build a super-bowl calibre team and find the true heir apparent QB if Rodgers is not it. This is the biggest challenge that will face TT in the next few years of his tenure. I have no doubt he will build a super bowl caliber team, its just that he needs to find his franchise QB either thru draft, free agency, trade, or have him already in Rodgers/Ingle Martin.
BTW, i know a few people are already calling for Ted's head, but these are the same people who would complain if Jesus himself was our GM, so these people mean nothing

Scott Campbell
05-15-2007, 10:25 PM
.............if Jesus himself was our GM..........

Think he's available?

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2007, 10:26 PM
That last sentence might cause more catfights, but I do agree with you. I don't think Ted wants Favre gone. He gives the team a good shot at being competitive while he retools the roster.

packers04
05-15-2007, 10:35 PM
exactly harvey, and if there was anything the packers needed after a few years of sherman drafting, it was retooling. (side note: I loved sherman as our coach!)

MadtownPacker
05-16-2007, 12:01 AM
exactly harvey, and if there was anything the packers needed after a few years of sherman drafting, it was retooling. (side note: I loved sherman as our coach!)
Uh-oh, that last sentence might cause more fights then the Jesus one! :lol:

Good to see you posting Packers04 and I agree, Favre is bailing TT out.

That is why Favre feels free to talk trash. TT aint gonna do nothing about it. He is doing when he wants regarding rebullding the roster.

Kiwon
05-16-2007, 02:56 AM
Ted LOVES Favre, Here's why....

I was expecting a You Tube video of TT dressed in drag and wearing a '4' jersey.

packers04
05-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Hahaha that would be great....

btw, its a pleasure posting on this board, i forgot about it for a while since for some reason it wasnt in my favorites anymore. but now i am back :-)

Packnut
05-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Favre did buy Teddy some time. IF Favre had left 2 seasons ago, we'd be a brutal team and the heat would really have been on Thompson. Of course we'd have been picking higher in the draft.

What I really fail to understand is if Teddy had no intention of giving Favre one last shot, he should have told Brett 2 years ago instead of giving him the "impression" that he would.

Thompson should have had the balls to tell Favre he was gonna gut the team and re-build and he also should have had the balls to tell the fans the same thing, but he lied at every chance. How many times did he state for the record that he was'nt re-building? Any moron with a pulse can see he is and has been re-building.

Teddy used Favre to buy some time and I'd say it's pretty obvious. Why else did he string Favre along? And before you Thompson guys tell me he did'nt, you'd better go back and read exactly what Thompson has stated in the press.

ND72
05-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Favre didn't buy Thompson time...Sherman bought Thompson time. Everyone in that organization knew Thompson had to do something drastic for the sake of the future of the team....and what Thompson has done is exactly what has been needed after Sherman buried us. NOW...I don't blame Sherman...because he knew he had a window, so he drafted and signed people with the thought of THAT YEAR was the year they had to win. But it killed us for "post favre". Favre has hung on, and has helped thompson with some talent while rebuilding. But I garuntee you, both Harlan and Jones know what Thompson is doing, is the right thing to do at this point.

My guess is, in the next few years, you'll see Thompson a bit more active in Free Agency and so on, when we basically have our team in place, and just need to update a few positions or depth.

pbmax
05-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Jesus had a problem with his posse, too. Judas was seriously hampering the team effort. :lol:

That last sentence might cause more catfights, but I do agree with you. I don't think Ted wants Favre gone. He gives the team a good shot at being competitive while he retools the roster.

RashanGary
05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
What I really fail to understand is if Teddy had no intention of giving Favre one last shot, he should have told Brett 2 years ago instead of giving him the "impression" that he would.

Thompson says he's doing whatever he can to make this team the best it can be now and in the future. What he forgot to mention to Brett is that he thought the team was pretty bad when he took over and it might take some growing pains to get back on track. When he came in he said this roster wasn't what he expected. I think he was saying it sucked. He knew we were starting over to a degree, Harlan knew but Brett thought we could just keep going with the aging playmakers we already had and have no setbacks. Unfortunately Harlan and Thompson were right that the roster was dwindling and here we are. Bretts taking it pretty hard though. I think maybe Thompson could have had an honest talk and told Brett that things were rough when he got here to prepare him but regardless, Brett is playing a game and making a lot of money. Either your in our your out and the GM doesn't owe it to Brett to tell him what he thinks of the roster.

That said, I think this team can be pretty good. I just don't think the last 2 years were and I think that was obvious to Thompson before we went 4-12. He just forgot to tell Brett.

retailguy
05-16-2007, 01:33 PM
That said, I think this team can be pretty good. I just don't think the last 2 years were and I think that was obvious to Thompson before we went 4-12. He just forgot to tell Brett.

Then your boy is a bald faced liar. I distinctly remember him saying that he "expected the team to be competitive and was just as surprised as we were that things went south.

Justin, over and over you say this stuff, but it doesn't 'match' the persona of Ted Thompson that we all see and listen to. I suggest you replay some of those old interviews and listen with an impartial ear.

I've got no issue that you like the guy, but if you think he's not got a media spin on everything he says, you're crazy. Maybe he'll turn out to be the "wonder boy" in the end, but he just might be an "empty magician" too.

Merlin
05-16-2007, 01:48 PM
It is Favre who is giving 3T a passing grade with fans. But, why wasn't 3T honest with Brett? Why? Because he knew he would be fired for losing a HOF QB. Face it, 3T doesn't want Favre and it was our dismal 2005 season that made 3T realize that Favre is the team. So, 3T does all in his power to make Favre retire.

When Favre retires and the Packers stink up the place, 3T can point to the loss of Favre and all of the young talent.

So "yes" 3T needed Favre around for awhile. He no longer needs Favre around because he has solidified himself and will be given a contract extension regardless of the outcome of this season. I never said he wasn't smart at protecting his own ass.

Scott Campbell
05-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Hmmm. So there was a second gunman afterall.

Merlin
05-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I prefer logic over theoretical "magic bullets" any day.

Kiwon
05-16-2007, 06:29 PM
And heat :flm: doesn't melt steel.

RashanGary
05-16-2007, 06:59 PM
I've got no issue that you like the guy, but if you think he's not got a media spin on everything he says, you're crazy. Maybe he'll turn out to be the "wonder boy" in the end, but he just might be an "empty magician" too.

I really sensed some bullshit when he said he wnated to win now and that is why he took Harrell instead of giving the pick to Cleveland.

I thought that was a bold faced lie. He says over and over that it is the big picture but all of a sudden, now is more important than tomorrow. Everything he's ever said before that was tomorrow is just as important as today. Each day, is no more or less important than the one before. I definilty thought at was BS. I think he didn't trade because he didn't feel comfortable and he wasn't prepared for that kind of offer.

I also think he lied when he got here to make things seem better. He said the roster wasn't what he was expecting so I'm assuming it to mean that he thought it would be better.

Bretsky
05-16-2007, 07:20 PM

I really sensed some bullshit when he said he wnated to win now and that is why he took Harrell instead of giving the pick to Cleveland.

I thought that was a bold faced lie. He says over and over that it is the big picture but all of a sudden, now is more important than tomorrow. Everything he's ever said before that was tomorrow is just as important as today. Each day, is no more or less important than the one before. I definilty thought at was BS. I think he didn't trade because he didn't feel comfortable and he wasn't prepared for that kind of offer.

I also think he lied when he got here to make things seem better. He said the roster wasn't what he was expecting so I'm assuming it to mean that he thought it would be better.

I'm still marveled at TT not taking that deal; as much as I'm a win now guy, I'd have snapped up Cleveland's top 10 pick next year in a second.

I agree TT was not ready for that, and he seemed to fall in love with the player and wasn't going to move down to risk losing him........very out of character for TT.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 09:28 PM

I'm still marveled at TT not taking that deal; as much as I'm a win now guy, I'd have snapped up Cleveland's top 10 pick next year in a second.

I agree TT was not ready for that, and he seemed to fall in love with the player and wasn't going to move down to risk losing him........very out of character for TT.

It's hindsight but TT should have leaped at drafting Brady Quinn and making his best deal. We didn't need another DT (especially one with a history of injuries).

That to me is the biggest error that TT made in this April's draft.

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Thompson says he's doing whatever he can to make this team the best it can be now and in the future. What he forgot to mention to Brett is that he thought the team was pretty bad when he took over and it might take some growing pains to get back on track. When he came in he said this roster wasn't what he expected. I think he was saying it sucked. He knew we were starting over to a degree, Harlan knew but Brett thought we could just keep going with the aging playmakers we already had and have no setbacks. Unfortunately Harlan and Thompson were right that the roster was dwindling and here we are. Bretts taking it pretty hard though. I think maybe Thompson could have had an honest talk and told Brett that things were rough when he got here to prepare him but regardless, Brett is playing a game and making a lot of money. Either your in our your out and the GM doesn't owe it to Brett to tell him what he thinks of the roster.

Do you REALLY, HONESTLY think that there's anything in this post (or even in the thread for that matter) that Brett Favre didn't already know? He's been the quarterback of the team for 16 years. You think he didn't realize the team was aging and needed a retooling? He's not stupid.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Ah, the extremist.

I sure wish you were here last week for all the brawls

You'd have either had to put down your idol or the GB icon.

And you got a free vacation...aka...free pass on all the debate

Scott Campbell
05-19-2007, 06:08 PM
I found it provocative and entertaining.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM
I found it provocative and entertaining.

That is was

We need more controversy in Packer land anyways.

It's free agency; what other news are we going to have :lol:

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I saw the article. I would have had to do neither. You're forgetting that I'm also a rational person who doesn't always take the media at their word. I haven't read much of the brawling yet, but I can imagine that you guys had quite a joy ride all on your own.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I saw the article. I would have had to do neither. You're forgetting that I'm also a rational person who doesn't always take the media at their word. I haven't read much of the brawling yet, but I can imagine that you guys had quite a joy ride all on your own.

Really had nothing to do with any one article; but lots of articles and debate about BF and your idol. It would have been interesting

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't call him my idol. I just happen to be one of those people who thinks he got his job because he knows what he's doing a whole lot more than we do. I simply have more patience for things I cannot control than you do.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't call him my idol. I just happen to be one of those people who thinks he got his job because he knows what he's doing a whole lot more than we do. I simply have more patience for things I cannot control than you do.

I'd call him your idol :lol:

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 07:38 PM
I simply have more patience for things I cannot control than you do.

Strong statement. I think this hits a very relevant key.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I simply have more patience for things I cannot control than you do.

It's commonly called ACCEPTANCE. If they were rowing the boat the wrong damn way, you'd speak up... We'll see. :wink: