PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Biggest Risk You've Ever Taken?

Partial
05-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Ever quit a great paying job for doing what you love?

Break up with your partner and move across the country?

Swim with sharks?

What is the biggest risk you've ever taken?

MadtownPacker
05-16-2007, 02:21 AM
You. :wink:

]{ilr]3
05-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I ran drunk on the top rail of one of those old steel girder style bridges. It was about 12" wide, midnight, 100' long, about 60 feet above the creek and the water was really low.

I was a tree climber when I was 20 years old and I liked to impress my friends that I wasnt afraid of hieghts. I still slap my forhead and go "Doh!" like Homer Simpsons when ever i think about it.

retailguy
05-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Ever quit a great paying job for doing what you love?

Break up with your partner and move across the country?

Swim with sharks?

Standing up for you last summer. :P

Zool
05-16-2007, 11:21 AM
I jumped out of a second story window into a snow pile. Jaeger makes you do things you normally wouldnt.

Patler
05-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Physically - several.

1. Going off a ski jump on one of those metal saucers.

2. Riding my motorcycle on the highway, with the forks locked, a "dead man's throttle" set at about 25 mph, and me standing upright on the seat. Essentially it was the same stunt that killed Indian Larry a year or two ago. I did it in the 1960s, but not at highway speeds as Larry sometimes did, and I wore a helmet.

Emotionally:

Getting married, quitting our dead end jobs and moving 800 miles away from out nearest relative on either side of the family for me to start graduate school toward a whole new profession. Neither my wife or I had ever lived away from a close family network before.

Partial
05-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Patler you're a badass!!

billy_oliver880
05-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Biggest risk? I ride my motorcycle down some pretty shady backwater roads with no guardrails and shear cliffs. I have rock climbed a few times. Riding in rush hour traffic on the I-10 out here. I almost crashed 3 times last night on my way home. But I think the biggest risk I took was moving out to Arizona away from all my family.

Partial
05-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Biggest risk? I ride my motorcycle down some pretty shady backwater roads with no guardrails and shear cliffs. I have rock climbed a few times. Riding in rush hour traffic on the I-10 out here. I almost crashed 3 times last night on my way home. But I think the biggest risk I took was moving out to Arizona away from all my family.

How's it all going out in AZ? You wild guys and your motorcycles! Someday i'll get one for myself. They seem like a lot of fun to motor around on.

oregonpackfan
05-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Physical: Running the Duke City Marathon in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The temperature at the start of the race was in the high 70's. By the end of the event, the temp had risen to to mid-80's.

I finished the race in just over 4 hours but was totally exhausted because of the heat. I physically "Hit the wall" the last 3 miles alternating between jogging and walking.

After crossing the finish line, I sat down on the curb and would not move. Seeing my fatigue, my wife said, "Dear, I found a parking spot just 2 blocks from here. Let's go home."

I responded with, "Get and car and bring it here."

Incredulous, my wife answered, "You mean to tell me you just ran 26 miles but you can't walk 2 blocks?"

To her question, I looked her in the eye and said, "Get the damn car NOW!"

Realizing I was out of my head, she fetched the car. I crawled in the back seat and laid down. Upon arrival at home, I spent the rest of the day reclining in bed moaning and groaning.

The most emotional risk was very similar to Patler's. My wife and I moved across the country and started new jobs. It was a risk I am glad we took.

Partial
05-16-2007, 04:45 PM
My biggest risks are lame. I have never packed up and moved across the country or anything interesting like that. My life in uninteresting.

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 05:33 PM
[b]Getting married, quitting our dead end jobs and moving 800 miles away from out nearest relative on either side of the family for me to start graduate school toward a whole new profession. Neither my wife or I had ever lived away from a close family network before.[/b

Very similar. We graduated from college one week, got married the next, and on the 3rd week, moved across country, 1200 miles from family.

And never looked back!

The riskiest part was driving across the country in a Gremlin!

Joemailman
05-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Switched from briefs to boxers.

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Wow, that's risky business! Was that after you saw Tom Cruise in his briefs?

BEARMAN
05-16-2007, 06:46 PM
joining this cheese hole.... :shock: :lol: :twisted:

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I didn't wear my seatbelt this morning. 8-) Go ahead try and top that.

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 07:40 PM
In your 'neck of the woods', that is risky!

Jimx29
05-16-2007, 07:51 PM
attempted suicide http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/numbnutz/smilies/smilie_straightface.gif

Partial
05-16-2007, 08:59 PM
attempted suicide http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/numbnutz/smilies/smilie_straightface.gif

:( , I hope whenever things get bad you always have the strength to persevere and not throw in the towel.

oregonpackfan
05-16-2007, 09:10 PM

I'm glad your suicide attempt was not successful. Life has its ups and downs. Sometimes you just have to be grateful to appreciate the ups.

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2007, 09:14 PM

Some people on this forum might not even know what a Gremlin is. Very underrated--like the DeLorean.
:D

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2007, 09:16 PM
attempted suicide

Well, hard to respond. I'm glad it wasn't successful. Appreciate the good stuff. Realize that the bad stuff is only temporary.

GrnBay007
05-16-2007, 09:48 PM
attempted suicide

Well, hard to respond. I'm glad it wasn't successful. Appreciate the good stuff. Realize that the bad stuff is only temporary.

Agree. Glad it wasn't successful. And true the bad stuff is only temporary (I have to believe that myself right now) AND getting through it makes you a stronger person! ...and more appreciative of life everyday.

pacfan
05-16-2007, 10:24 PM

Some people on this forum might not even know what a Gremlin is. Very underrated--like the DeLorean.
:D

It was in a movie right?

j/k... :D

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Luckily, Disco, Bell Bottoms, and the Gremlin were before my time. Anybody older than 40 should feel deep shame for all 3 things.

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/Cars/Amc/1973%20AMC%20Gremlin/1973%20AMC%20Gremlin%201.JPG

retailguy
05-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey. That's a NICE looking one. Most of them were not that nice.

GrnBay007
05-16-2007, 11:00 PM

Trusting TT.

:P

K-town
05-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Luckily, Disco, Bell Bottoms, and the Gremlin were before my time. Anybody older than 40 should feel deep shame for all 3 things.

Harv, I had no control over those things. If I did, I would have eliminated these scourges from the planet.

GrnBay007
05-16-2007, 11:21 PM

Geez Joe, my son switched over this year too and he wasn't scared! :P

billy_oliver880
05-17-2007, 01:51 AM

How's it all going out in AZ? You wild guys and your motorcycles! Someday i'll get one for myself. They seem like a lot of fun to motor around on.

I am planning on staying out here. Its a great area once you get out of Phoenix. I think if you rode a motorcycle you would see that its a totally different driving experience.

oregonpackfan
05-17-2007, 10:37 AM

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/Cars/Amc/1973%20AMC%20Gremlin/1973%20AMC%20Gremlin%201.JPG

Harvey,

I'm over 40 but I take no responsiblility in the creation, manufacturing, or distribution of this car.

The Gremelin(made by American Motors--home of the Rambler) is an example that American made econonomy cars were piles of scrap during that era. The GMC Vega, the Ford Pinto, the Chrysler made Horizon were all economy cars with serious flaws.

American maufacturers just could not make the quality economy cars like the Honda, Toyota, or Datsun manufacturers could.

I have to admit, however, that my first car was the former family '65 Rambler Ambassador station wagon. It was actually a pretty good car, except during the winter when it would not start in weather colder than 20 degrees.(It had the luxury of being in the family garage during its heyday.)

I discovered during my senior year at Marquette University, that I was receiving half a dozen calls from coeds asking me to move them to new apartments, etc. They did not want me for my mind, charisma, or even my body. They wanted me for my station wagon!

Like a hopeful schmuch hoping to score, I helped them with the move. The most action I ever got was warmed-up frozen pizza.

I felt so violated... :lol:

packinpatland
05-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey. That's a NICE looking one. Most of them were not that nice.

Hey , mine was! I had an 'X' model. :)
The darn thing ran for 14 years!!!!! Would probably still be going, but the body rusted out and the doors fell off.
...............and there wasn't much room in the back for child seats. :lol:

MadtownPacker
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Im guessing that is your "house" in the background? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MadtownPacker
05-17-2007, 12:18 PM
I discovered during my senior year at Marquette University, that I was receiving half a dozen calls from coeds asking me to move them to new apartments, etc. They did not want me for my mind, charisma, or even my body. They wanted me for my station wagon!

Like a hopeful schmuch hoping to score, I helped them with the move. The most action I ever got was warmed-up frozen pizza.

I felt so violated... :lol:The bottom line is you tried and for that I have nothing but admiration. :D

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 10:53 PM
White water rafting in Maine. DAM near drowned.

Getting heavily involved with some woahman. :)

GrnBay007
05-17-2007, 11:06 PM

I thought college guys liked to be violated. :P :wink:

Little Whiskey
05-18-2007, 09:47 PM
ate raw marshmellows once.

oregonpackfan
05-19-2007, 12:41 AM
White water rafting in Maine. DAM near drowned.

Getting heavily involved with some woahman. :)

Which river in Maine, Woodbuck?

I did some canoeing on the Kennebec River which was placid. I did one trip on the Carabassette(sp?) which had some whitewater.

OPF

oregonpackfan
05-19-2007, 12:43 AM

I thought college guys liked to be violated. :P :wink:

LOL!

GrnBay007,

I was only emotionally violated. I longed to be violated in another way! :wink: