PDA

View Full Version : Media making stuff up, or ugly stare down contest?

PackerBlues
05-16-2007, 01:22 AM
I dont want to read into anything here, so this is just speculation. It kinda seems to me that Thompson and Favre are having a little "stare-down" contest that could turn real ugly (insert comments such as "No shit Sherlock" here).

Favre says he wants (Veteran?) Offensive weapons, Thompson says NO.

Favre lets a few things slip to the media, the entire Packer organization has to scramble to prove to the Packer nation that everything is perfectly fine in Packerland. (I.E. the press release on Mothers Day).

After Favre gets a slap on the wrist behind closed doors (more speculation), Favre smooths things over but thinks to himself, "Fine, you want to play games"? Next thing you know, he is not only skipping a mandatory mini-camp, but telling the press that he is skipping it, well ahead of time. After wich, the Packers put out their press release stating that it is mandatory and EVERYONE is expected to attend. (wich will of coarse, lead to even more speculation and more stories with "anonymous" sources.)

Now the new rumor says Favre is going to play this one more season in GB and that if he plays up to his own expectations, he will move to another team after the season. While I do not buy this rumor at all. If it is true, it would seem that Favre would be trying to say (even more speculation) "Fine, if your not going to help me win, I will prove to everyone that I can still play......and after I prove it, I am going to make you pay by demanding a trade". In effect, this gives Thompson one year to think about how much the media and Packer fans across the country are going to rip into him when Favre does demand the trade.

Ya think the last few days have been a circus? Imagine what it would be like if this little scenario plays out. :cat:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/favrebus.jpg

Oh, and by the way, until I see a video of Favre making all of these statements himself, I am going to consider all of it to be complete bullshit and give Thompson the benefit of the doubt. However if the new rumor is true that Favre found out well before the draft that there was no effort to get Moss...........Especially after the Packer organization has made countless statements that they "thought" they had a deal in place.............the shit will hit the fan!!!! :shtf:

Guiness
05-16-2007, 04:18 AM
Do you mean Favre found out well before the draft, or found out recently that there was no effort before the draft when it was said there was? Because if it's the former, then the whole 'I blew up and lost my temper' was just grandstanding...

BTW congrats on the first good use of the fan emoticon I've seen! :glug:

PackerBlues
05-16-2007, 08:16 AM
This is part of the story that was originally posted by Digitaldean

http://www.620wtmj.com/_content/sports/billmichaels/index.asp
_____

Randy Moss isn’t a Green Bay Packer. The majority of us found out that fact on day two of the NFL Draft. Brett Favre and Bus Cook apparently found out a week to ten days earlier. According to a source, close to both the team and Brett, Bus Cook was informed of the Packers lack of interest in acquiring Moss prior to the draft. Cook then informed Favre of Ted Thompson’s choice not to pursue the controversial wide receiver. Upset at the lack of interest in bolstering the offense, but unwilling to believe that the Packers wouldn’t at the very least make a “play” for Moss, Favre decided to keep his feelings confined to those around him until draft day. After the announcement was made that indeed Moss was a Patriot and that it only took a 4th round draft pick to garner the services of the veteran receiver, Favre spouted to Cook that he ”wanted out”. He wanted to be traded to a team that would give him the opportunity to be a serious post-season contender.
Cook contacted Thompson and Brett’s displeasure was conveyed to the Packers GM.

More unconfirmed sources. Is it true? We will probably never know for sure, at least not until a certain someone does retire.........and writes The best selling book of all time. The title will either be "The media sure did make a lot of shit up", Or "How TT bent me over and stuck it in my pooper".

Fritz
05-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Part of the problem with all of this is, A., nobody really knows exactly what happened (Was Moss really willing to come to GB for 3 mill guaranteed, or, as other sources stated before the draft, did he want his full salary for the year, unrestructured, unless it was New England that got him?), and B., TT is relatively unproven while Favre is a proven HOF QB and so it's a lot easier to rip TT.

Could someone please clarify for me this bit from Mike Vandermuese's recent column?

"But it's important to keep Favre's comments in perspective. It's not as if Thompson is dealing with an all-out mutiny.

Favre is a fierce competitor who wants to win, and he wants to win now. He's not a disgruntled player blasting his team because he didn't get his way."

I like Brett Favre very much and appreciate his guts and his ability. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he's the quarterback, and I hope he plays another two years. However, I'm not sure how one could say that Favre was not a "disgruntled player blasting his team because he didn't get his way" since, after all, Favre publicly lambasted the organization (this is what it means to be disgruntled) for not getting Randy Moss (Favre not getting his way. ).

PackerBlues
05-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Considering Moss's track record, I am going with the theory that he was stringing Favre (and his agent) along the whole time. Giving Ted the benefit of the doubt, I am sure that if Ted is guilty of anything here, it would be that he, Like Favre and Cook, was to trusting. (*besides the fact that he takes being a tight-wad to a whole new level)

Moss has always been selfish. My desire to see Favre have one last 4,000 yard season, 40 TD's and another playoff run, out-weighed my common sense.

Fritz
05-16-2007, 09:15 AM
PackerBlues, I have to give you credit - you have an open enough mind to change your mind when the evidence is there to warrant a change. That's a good quality, in my estimation.

PackerBlues
05-16-2007, 09:19 AM
PackerBlues, I have to give you credit - you have an open enough mind to change your mind when the evidence is there to warrant a change. That's a good quality, in my estimation.

Thanks Fritz, I do try.

ND72
05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Media is trying ot make something out of nothing. McCarthy has said HE knew Favre would not attend as early as mid april.

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Everyone can speculate till the cows come home. No one is going to ever know what happened when or who said what.
And until something dramatic comes from all this.......it really doesn't matter, does it?

pbmax
05-16-2007, 11:25 AM
I missed this one. Where did he say this?

Becuase the press release sounds like there is a confrontation in the offing.

If its just a matter of getting the entire story, I'd love to have the link to read.

Media is trying ot make something out of nothing. McCarthy has said HE knew Favre would not attend as early as mid april.

pbmax
05-16-2007, 11:29 AM
This story leaves many unanswered questions, not the least of which is why, if Thompson was uninterested, did Bob Harlan and staff go to bed thinking Moss was a Packer?

Or why did Thompson make an offer if he knew Favre knew Thompson wasn't interested in Moss?

It would make more sense if Favre and Cook suspected, by T2s offer or comment, that he wasn't willing to do "whatever it took".

This is part of the story that was originally posted by Digitaldean

http://www.620wtmj.com/_content/sports/billmichaels/index.asp
_____

Randy Moss isn’t a Green Bay Packer. The majority of us found out that fact on day two of the NFL Draft. Brett Favre and Bus Cook apparently found out a week to ten days earlier. According to a source, close to both the team and Brett, Bus Cook was informed of the Packers lack of interest in acquiring Moss prior to the draft. Cook then informed Favre of Ted Thompson’s choice not to pursue the controversial wide receiver. Upset at the lack of interest in bolstering the offense, but unwilling to believe that the Packers wouldn’t at the very least make a “play” for Moss, Favre decided to keep his feelings confined to those around him until draft day. After the announcement was made that indeed Moss was a Patriot and that it only took a 4th round draft pick to garner the services of the veteran receiver, Favre spouted to Cook that he ”wanted out”. He wanted to be traded to a team that would give him the opportunity to be a serious post-season contender.
Cook contacted Thompson and Brett’s displeasure was conveyed to the Packers GM.

More unconfirmed sources. Is it true? We will probably never know for sure, at least not until a certain someone does retire.........and writes The best selling book of all time. The title will either be "The media sure did make a lot of shit up", Or "How TT bent me over and stuck it in my pooper".

ND72
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
I missed this one. Where did he say this?

Becuase the press release sounds like there is a confrontation in the offing.

If its just a matter of getting the entire story, I'd love to have the link to read.

It's not a link...I just remember watching Channel 2 News one night, and McCarthy saying he wasn't expecting Favre at any offseason programs because he is rehabbing in Mississippi.