PDA

View Full Version : "Brat" Favre ESPN Article

retailguy
05-16-2007, 12:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070516&sportCat=nfl

Packers don't owe Favre anything
By Jemele Hill
Page 2

A friend of mine came up with a great nickname for a certain Super Bowl quarterback in Green Bay, who I think perfected the free pass, not just the zip pass.

"Brat" Favre is what we've begun to call the dwindling diva, because he is again showing in the offseason why he's a member of the Susan Lucci drama club, along with Terrell Owens and Curt Schilling.

Mr. 47 Interceptions over the past two seasons -- including a hard-to-top 29 in 2005 -- is in the news because he's unhappy the Packers didn't get Randy Moss, and depending on whom you believe, he may or may not have asked for a trade after the draft.

Most Packers fans seem to believe Favre has earned the "right" to complain and tell his employers how they should run the team, even though his annual should-I-stay-or-should-I-go tango is partly to blame for the Packers' current malady.

First, let's deal with this concept that athletes have certain "rights" -- a subject that has come up quite a bit lately because of Favre and Roger Clemens, who supposedly has earned the "right" to skip spring training, play half a season, not travel with his teammates and act as if he's the only baseball player juggling a family.

Contrary to what most athletes believe, they aren't owed a thing. Yet for some perplexing reason, many of them seem to think their "rights" should supersede everything else.

Favre isn't owed any more championships than he's already won. Donovan McNabb isn't owed an explanation from the Eagles because they drafted a quarterback. Pacman Jones isn't owed due process from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The Packers' philosophy seems to center around building a solid defense through the draft -- which is exactly what they should be doing. They have surrounded Favre with a lot of young talent on offense and rightly expect their 17-year veteran to nurture and build that talent.

I can't feel sorry for Favre because it's not like he didn't know the Packers needed to rebuild. If he didn't want to go through that, he should have either retired or asked for a trade instead of picking a passive-aggressive fight through the media.

It's clear to us that Favre is looking out for No. 1.Besides, he is partly to blame for his predicament. Maybe Favre would have another offensive weapon if he hadn't sabotaged former receiver Javon Walker during his contract squabbles with the Packers. Favre called Walker out instead of being supportive -- by the way, notice how Tom Brady tried to pressure the Patriots to pay Deion Branch -- and Walker took his services elsewhere. Of course, it was easy for Favre to suggest Walker was being greedy when Favre is sitting on a $100-million contract.

It's not the first time Brat has inserted his self-righteous opinion where it doesn't belong. Remember what he said during the Packers' tense contract situation with cornerback Mike McKenzie?

"He should be here, we expect him to here and the Packers have the upper hand," Favre said at the time. "He says he wants to be traded and all that stuff, but they don't have to do that. When paycheck time starts coming around and you're not getting one, it's amazing how quickly you start waking up."

Oh, I get it. Favre is the only one who can voice displeasure with the organization. For someone who says he's all about the team, Brat sure finds a way to air feelings that should be kept in-house.

Unfortunately, most Packer fans can't see past Favre's yesteryears to notice their beloved QB has become just as adept at undermining the franchise as he is throwing into triple coverage.

If Packers fans were ready to accept the truth, they would see that not much separates Favre from other selfish athletes. Nobody called Moss a diehard competitor when he was critical of Oakland, yet that's how Favre's comments about Green Bay have been framed. At least Moss manned up and asked for a trade instead of playing a shell game with the media.

T.O. is a lot of things (many of them bad), but I can only imagine the reaction had he treated his minicamp like Favre, who is skipping the Packers' mandatory minicamp this weekend because it would interfere would his social calendar.

"They were going to have me sit out anyway," Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald. "To be honest, we have [daughter] Brittany graduating in two weeks. Instead of going up there and not doing anything, I will be better off being at home because of graduation parties and banquets."

Let me guess, he's earned the right to do that, too. Wish he'd exercise his right to be quiet.

Page 2 columnist Jemele Hill can be reached at jemeleespn@gmail.com.

swede
05-16-2007, 12:18 PM
It's funny. My wife can say whatever bad thing she wants to about her mom, but I've learned--REALLY learned--not to do the same thing myself.

I can listen to a certain amount of Green Bay fans picking on Brett for his comments, and, in fact, I've picked on him myself.

But it really ticks me off to hear someone outside the family use Brett as a punching bag in order to provide some cheap entertainment to the masses and pump up the word count for his editor.

In answer to the writer's last couple of questions, yes Brett has earned a pass on the mini-camp and I don't think we'll need him in Green Bay in May when his daughter is trying to graduate from high school and enjoying a chance to princess about with her dad during this unique time in her life.

Scott Campbell
05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Though the article is pretty rough on him, I'm ok with it. If he doesn't catch grief for this kind of thing, he'll be more inclined to keep doing it.

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 12:45 PM
All this 'owing' stuff. When exactly did Favre say that the Packers owe him?

RashanGary
05-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Half of the artical was calling Packer fans idiots so I think that was directed at 2/3rds of the people in Wisconsin.

Patler
05-16-2007, 01:11 PM
It's funny. My wife can say whatever bad thing she wants to about her mom, but I've learned--REALLY learned--not to do the same thing myself.

That's exactly it. We should all ask ourselves if we would view the last 3 or 4 Favre off-seasons differently if he played for the Vikings or Bears.

mraynrand
05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Yep, Favre oughtta shut up. No matter how justified he may think he is, the bottom line is that it's gonna make you look like a candy-ass whiner.

But really, all this over Randy Moss. Am I the only guy who didn't want him, regardless of the possible benefit?

MadtownPacker
05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Though the article is pretty rough on him, I'm ok with it. If he doesn't catch grief for this kind of thing, he'll be more inclined to keep doing it.This article is a moron spewing off about something he read on the Internet like you and me. If he doesnt catch grief he will be inclined to keep doing it too.

Problem is he sucks and is unoriginal.

mraynrand
05-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Though the article is pretty rough on him, I'm ok with it. If he doesn't catch grief for this kind of thing, he'll be more inclined to keep doing it.This article is a moron spewing off about something he read on the Internet like you and me. If he doesnt catch grief he will be inclined to keep doing it too.

I agree, but the point is that Favre gave him all the ammo he needed. That's why Favre should shut up - it allows a bunch of worthless punks to take shots at him.

Patler
05-16-2007, 01:22 PM
The problem is when Favre makes these statements the comments in the national media go on and on until the season starts. This has happened so many times for so many years, that at this point I have to believe that Favre loves the controversy, and being at the center of it. If he really wanted to be left alone during the off season to enjoy Mississippi peacefully, he wouldn't interject himself into the spot light every off season.

Packnut
05-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Just another stupid writer trying to create controversey in order to get someone to read her useless articles. I never even heard of her before today which pretty much says it all. She must be screwing the editor cause that's about the only way any of her garbage would get published.......

mraynrand
05-16-2007, 01:27 PM
The problem is when Favre makes these statements the comments in the national media go on and on until the season starts. This has happened so many times for so many years, that at this point I have to believe that Favre loves the controversy, and being at the center of it. If he really wanted to be left alone during the off season to enjoy Mississippi peacefully, he wouldn't interject himself into the spot light every off season.

You may be right. And really, he doesn't even have to - there are all kinds of guys in the media that carry his water for him - Steve Young, etc. - they blab all the time how the Packers haven't given him enough weapons, etc. Perhaps the problem is that Favre believes what they say and listens to them too much - hell, he played another year because of what Phil Simms said on a radio show, right?

Look, the bottom line is that Favre is pretty emotional - wears his heart on his sleeve - and he's not the sharpest tool in the woodshed. More reasons why he should just shut up.

Joemailman
05-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Brett's my all-time favorite athlete, but he's bringing a lot of this on himself. Brett would be doing everyone in the Packer organization a big favor if he would just come to mini-camp and stay away from microphones.

ND72
05-16-2007, 02:15 PM
While I do think ESPN & Co. are turning nothing into something reguarding Favre and the Packers. I do think Brett Favre, Bus Cook, and everyoen else associated with Favre, need to just SHUT UP and stop giving the dogs a bone. If Favre is smart, he will show up this weekend, even if it's for a day, to just stand there....but he won't.

Scott Campbell
05-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Just another stupid writer trying to create controversey................................

I think Brett created the controversy. You can't blame people for writing about it. Whether they blame Thompson like Steve Young does, or whether they blame Favre the way this writer does, Brett was the one that compelled them to publish their thoughts on the matter.

FritzDontBlitz
05-16-2007, 04:41 PM

if i'm not mistaken hill is the same guy who was giving javon walker a platform to bitch from when he wanted out of green bay.

FritzDontBlitz
05-16-2007, 04:43 PM
oh snap, its a girl.

i stand corrected, lol

but, this "journalist" actually wrote a column claiming kobe bryant is a better player than michael jordan?

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 05:15 PM
oh snap, its a girl.

i stand corrected, lol

but, this "journalist" actually wrote a column claiming kobe bryant is a better player than michael jordan?

Was she stoned? MJ was the best!

Joemailman
05-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Maybe she meant that Kobe is better than MJ in some other way. :twisted:

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 06:07 PM
You devil, you.

BooHoo
05-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Why not let Brett attend his daughters graduation? This should be no big deal.

highlander
05-16-2007, 08:33 PM
How about Brett does both . Mincamp this weekend and Graduation next weekend. All is good in Favre land.

Rastak
05-16-2007, 08:36 PM

Same reason the other 50-70 guys can't decide to head off for a family event during mandatory mini-camp I'm guessing.

Unless you propose a rule for Favre and one for everyone else....that goes over really well in the locker room most of the time.

Moot point anyway, he got the message and will be there.

RashanGary
05-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Same reason the other 50-70 guys can't decide to head off for a family event during mandatory mini-camp I'm guessing.

Unless you propose a rule for Favre and one for everyone else....that goes over really well in the locker room most of the time.

Right, I have been a huge Favre fan and he proved me wrong by playing damn good last year with what he had. I started to give up on him after the 29 picks but I think Shermans attitude contributed. Sherman was so pissed and unreasonable that the whole team seemed to take on his "what the fuck ever" attitude. Regardless, he's been a great player and he's still a damn good one at footballs most important position. That doesn't give him the right to now show up and send the message to his teammates that he's above them and isn't held to the same rules.

retailguy
05-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Right, I have been a huge Favre fan and he proved me wrong by playing damn good last year with what he had. I started to give up on him after the 29 picks but I think Shermans attitude contributed. Sherman was so pissed and unreasonable that the whole team seemed to take on his "what the fuck ever" attitude. Regardless, he's been a great player and he's still a damn good one at footballs most important position. That doesn't give him the right to now show up and send the message to his teammates that he's above them and isn't held to the same rules.

What? Where do you get this stuff?

Sherman, by all accounts, held the team together in every game in 2005, except for Baltimore. He has some ego problems in his career, but somehow, all his players loved playing for him.

I saw nothing that indicated the "whole team seemed to take on his "what the fuck ever" attitude.", and I don't think very many other people will recall seeing that either.

b bulldog
05-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Isn't the graduation one week after the minicamp? All this Brett stuff tires me out. Can't wait for some football news.

HarveyWallbangers
05-16-2007, 09:58 PM
What's funny is that somebody either leaked or made up something about Favre requesting a trade? If that news hadn't come out, this story would be a lot different. It would have been Brett just being frustrated with not getting Moss. Kind of silly. Now, it's this huge story where every national media member feels obligated to blast the NFL's former golden child. I agree that Favre's comments were best left unsaid, but really didn't have a huge problem with it. I often felt that way about comments he's made.
:D

RashanGary
05-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Sherman just sort of stood there like "whatever" every time Favre threw and INT. At least McCArthy tells him that it was stupid.

I just think Sherman did a horrible job with Brett during that last year and something about his attitude was just off. I think I mgiht be getting this because I heard Harlan on 107.5 and he said Sherman was unbearable at the end. I think that influenced me and as he was saying that, I was picturing Sherman all pissed off through the season.

cpk1994
05-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Sherman just sort of stood there like "whatever" every time Favre threw and INT. At least McCArthy tells him that it was stupid.

I just think Sherman did a horrible job with Brett during that last year and something about his attitude was just off. I think I mgiht be getting this because I heard Harlan on 107.5 and he said Sherman was unbearable at the end. I think that influenced me and as he was saying that, I was picturing Sherman all pissed off through the season.

I had enough of Sherman the moment he said he wasn't going to anything about Brett throwing a lot of picks.

cpk1994
05-17-2007, 07:08 AM

Truth hurts dosen't it? Can't diss your Lord and Master, Brett Favre, can we?

b bulldog
05-17-2007, 07:12 AM
i CAN AND i DO AND i GET RIDCULED FOR DOING IT, HENCE BASHER RAT :lol:

pbmax
05-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Harvey, I agree that no leak would have meant no trade me story, but how would the mini-camp story have played?

Do you think Favre would have looked better if the storyline had been "Favre Mad No Moss" followed by "Favre Will Not Attend Manadatory Minicamp"?

If anything, and this is just speculation on my part, I think the mini-camp no show announcement makes it likelier that the "trade me" story came from Favre's camp. He's clearly throwing his weight around.

I understand his concerns, I share them. But unlike earlier years, the reservoir of good will among the media is clearly lower for Favre than it used to be. He is also a 17 year vet and half a generation of writers know Favre more for his struggles than for his incandescent success.

What's funny is that somebody either leaked or made up something about Favre requesting a trade? If that news hadn't come out, this story would be a lot different. It would have been Brett just being frustrated with not getting Moss. Kind of silly. Now, it's this huge story where every national media member feels obligated to blast the NFL's former golden child. I agree that Favre's comments were best left unsaid, but really didn't have a huge problem with it. I often felt that way about comments he's made.

MadtownPacker
05-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Truth hurts dosen't it? Can't diss your Lord and Master, Brett Favre, can we?Lord and master? Hahaha, hardly but he does make football Sundays alot better. I dont just crap on someone who has been good to me cuz some halfwit sportswriter says so.

cpk1994
05-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Truth hurts dosen't it? Can't diss your Lord and Master, Brett Favre, can we?Lord and master? Hahaha, hardly but he does make football Sundays alot better. I dont just crap on someone who has been good to me cuz some halfwit sportswriter says so.

I happen to agree with everything the "halfwit sportwriter" say. Favre is owed no more than any of his 52 other teammates. The team is called the GREEN BAY Packers, not the Brett Favre Packers. Sadly, Favre has reduced himself to a mirror image of Dan Marino in his last days: a whining, egotistical jerk.

BooHoo
05-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Seems odd he would use the reason to attend his daughters graduation when it isn't even the same weekend.

Also, why shouldn't Favre expect special treatment. He has had special treatment for some time. And in the past he hasn't always attended mini-camps.

In any case, the friction/media reports is/are not good for the team. But just maybe we need to stir things up a little to get everyone fired up to win some games.

mraynrand
05-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Seems odd he would use the reason to attend his daughters graduation when it isn't even the same weekend.

I think the weekend before is the prom and Favre really wanted to go. I guess he arranged the music for the dance on his iPod and wanted to be there to see it all happen.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 01:49 PM

That's pretty much where I'm at in regards to Favre being ''just human'' and emotional over us not landing Randy Moss especially when he was personally involved in just seeing Moss a Packer.

He should never have gone to '' well just trade me then ''.

There is nonone on this forum more criticle of TT but we are now in the. . .

This is where we're at stage and let's just try to do the best we can with what we have

Maybe 'just maybe' Ted Thompson will see the light yet and give Favre and our 'O' and us more?

Is this all over with? I don't like where it leaves us as Packer fans.

Is there a need for more damage control. I hope that Ted Thompson feels the need to get there. We need more experienced help for our offenseto be competitive in 2007.

I'm now going to look for the thread that guerski started on tuesday.

GO PACKERS !

mraynrand
05-17-2007, 01:59 PM

I'm disturbed that virtually everyone wanted to get Moss.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 03:01 PM

I believe that was the case as we felt that TT had to do something real for our 'O' and that he was almost out of options.

Would there be a risk in acquiring Moss for one (or two) seasons? I don't see that as long as he remained healthy. Favre would have gotten the ball to him.

The deep threat that he would have provided would have spread the opositions defense as well, and opened it up more for Donald Driver.

We are aware that Greg Jennings welcomed the acqisition of Moss as well. With those three as Favre targets we had some hope if our running game sputters as it has the past two seasons.

Can't you see the potential with those three lining up on the line and allowing Greg Jennings to develop as our slot receiver and under the tutelage of Driver and Moss?

Ted Thompson had to bring all that potential to Green Bay not allow the Pats to swoop Randy Moss away.

swede
05-17-2007, 03:14 PM

I didn't want Moss. He's a dickweed.

Even Brett got played.

People who are trustworthy, like Brett, tend to trust others even when history shows them to be dickweeds.

People who are dickweeds, like Moss, tend to believe that everyone else is a dickweed.

Just my opinion, you stupid dickweeds.

packinpatland
05-17-2007, 03:18 PM

I didn't want Moss. He's a dickweed.

Even Brett got played.

People who are trustworthy, like Brett, tend to trust others even when history shows them to be dickweeds.

People who are dickweeds, like Moss, tend to believe that everyone else is a dickweed.

Just my opinion, you stupid dickweeds.

Would you repeat that? :lol:

]

packrulz
05-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Moss had 8 TD's in 2005 and barely got 1,000/yds receiving and only 3 TD's in 2006, so what has he done lately? I'm not convinced he will be such a star for the Patriots. Will he give up on plays, be unwilling to block, bitch when he doesn't get the ball enough, and only play when he wants to? Maybe he'll be a stud and help them get to the Super Bowl but I'm skeptical, Favre might not agree with it but give me a hard working young talented guy over an old, declining, selfish receiver anyday. So TT didn't get Moss, big deal, over half of his draft picks were offensive players, so instead of bitching about not getting Moss, Favre should get his butt into camp and go to work with what he does have.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Moss had 8 TD's in 2005 and barely got 1,000/yds receiving and only 3 TD's in 2006, so what has he done lately? I'm not convinced he will be such a star for the Patriots. Will he give up on plays, be unwilling to block, bitch when he doesn't get the ball enough, and only play when he wants to? Maybe he'll be a stud and help them get to the Super Bowl but I'm skeptical, Favre might not agree with it but give me a hard working young talented guy over an old, declining, selfish receiver anyday. So TT didn't get Moss, big deal, over half of his draft picks were offensive players, so instead of bitching about not getting Moss, Favre should get his butt into camp and go to work with what he does have.

I certainly agree with that. :)

Time to move on till the next time. . . :)

Packers4Ever
05-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Just another stupid writer trying to create controversey in order to get someone to read her useless articles. I never even heard of her before today which pretty much says it all. She must be screwing the editor cause that's about the only way any of her garbage would get published.......
-----------------------------------------------
Packnut, I read her too, just a few minutes ago after my grandson directed me to the ESPN article. (He was irate) I never heard of her or saw her before, not in an article or on ESPN.com, and I gotta agree, it was pitiful. Maybe they had to find a quick replacement for someone else.