PDA

View Full Version : Chris Mortenson Reporting

Bretsky
05-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Was riding home listening to ESPN of course, and Mortenson was reporting Green Bay could have landed Randy Moss the Friday before the draft started.

Anybody read any of this ?

I know it's probably old news and maybe the articles have been posted, but I'm still curious and like to gather facts on this one.

B

Packnut
05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
This is all I could find on ESPN insider from Mort. I believe him more than anyone else when it comes to the "inside" story.

Favre overcoming disappointment
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: May 16, 2007, 10:43 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
It was less than 24 hours after the draft when I heard Brett Favre was furious with the Packers for failing to land Randy Moss.

He was certainly in a state of mind in which he could have said, "Get me out of here," so I don't really doubt the report by Fox Sports' Jay Glazer, who said Favre requested a trade, before Packers coach Mike McCarthy smoothed things over.

Favre has now said he doesn't want to be traded. His agent, Bus Cook, denied his client ever demanded to be traded, but something strong was definitely communicated to the Packers.

Green Bay seemingly had Moss in its grasp, and losing him was an unforgivable slip in the eyes of Favre, who had campaigned for the receiver since January. All the Packers had to do was give him the same deal the Patriots did: a one-year contract for $3 million in 2007, with $2 million worth of incentives. The Packers insisted on a two-year contract, the first season for $1.9 million in base salary, plus 16 game-day roster bonuses of $100,000 apiece, for a total of $3.5 million.

The Packers simply got cute. They had the inside track and could have gotten this deal done on Friday or Saturday during draft weekend -- perhaps even for a fifth-round draft pick. The Patriots swooped in on Saturday night, finalizing the deal on Sunday morning.

During our ESPN draft coverage, Steve Young and I had a couple of spirited debates when the Packers didn't draft Tennessee wide receiver Robert Meachem with their first-round pick.

Young wondered what the organization was doing to help its veteran quarterback. I argued that Favre could care less what the team did in the draft; he has stated on more than one occasion he is not a believer in rookie receivers making an immediate impact.

AP Photo/Chuck Burton

Brett Favre should still be leading the Packers next season.
Favre's legitimate gripe is that Packers general manager Ted Thompson hasn't followed the blueprint of former GM Ron Wolf, who built a Super Bowl team by complementing the draft with aggressive moves in free agency and trades. Wolf traded for Favre and signed Hall of Fame defensive end Reggie White, not to mention other significant nondraft acquisitions such as tight end Keith Jackson.

Thompson can argue that last year he signed four free agents, including cornerback Charles Woodson. He can also argue his main priority is rebuilding the foundation of the franchise through the draft, and there are some very good personnel men who privately raved about the Packers' first draft pick. Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell can be a disruptive force and should also allow last year's top pick, middle linebacker A.J. Hawk, to thrive at an even higher level.

What is not quite known is whether Thompson would prefer it if Favre just went away. Green Bay didn't make a move for Moss, Ahman Green was let go at running back, and there is no true receiving threat at tight end. Thompson also drafted quarterback Aaron Rodgers three years ago. Is he ready to move on, but can't muster up the courage to act?

What about Favre's declaration that he's excited about the talent around him? First of all, he is no dummy. Favre knows you can motivate your teammates with flattery. Also, he was genuinely impressed Thompson had three rookie offensive linemen in 2006 who turned out to be good players.

Favre's absence from minicamp this weekend isn't a big deal. He had minor ankle surgery, and is trying to enjoy his daughter Brittany's graduation this week. He told McCarthy he will be in Green Bay for the other on-field activities, just as he was a year ago.

For his part, McCarthy plans to improve Favre's 56 percent completion rate by emphasizing more checkdown throws when the first and second options aren't open. Don't worry about whether Favre can lead a team he supposedly has dissed. Spend two minutes around him and you are captivated by his personality. He is simply impossible to hate.

As for any potential trade, the Cowboys actually had a discussion last offseason, but it went nowhere. Favre is on record as saying he doesn't want to learn a new offense at this stage.

The Bucs also shouldn't be considered a possible destination, even though coach Jon Gruden is the quarterback collector. It's not the same West Coast offense. Even Rich Gannon, an MVP for Gruden in Oakland, is surprised at how the scheme and terminology has evolved.

Forget the Broncos. Mike Shanahan believes he has a younger, more polished Brett Favre in Jay Cutler.

There are really only two teams running the West Coast offense in which Favre would be comfortable: Seattle and Philadelphia.

The Seahawks are committed to Matt Hasselbeck at quarterback, and it would take a dramatic setback by Donovan McNabb from his knee injury to even spark a discussion. As a result, Favre seems likely to finish his career in Green Bay.

At least he gave us somebody other than Pacman Jones to discuss.

Chris Mortensen is an NFL reporter for ESPN.

11 comments on "Favre overcoming disappointment"

bmillerclan (5/16/2007 at 8:05 AM)

Mortensen is right on AGAIN! He provides finally some balance to the Favre issue. Both guys (Thompson and Favre) have legitimate concerns and faults in this situation. Both have reasons to be upset: Favre about not gaining a playmaker, which is what every Qb wants and needs. Thompson about the way Favre handled the situation. They won't trade Favre, he is the face of the franchise but can you blame a Hall of Fame Qb for wanting to have more than the roster receivers to catch the ball... not even to mention the running game.
More NFL Headlines
NFL London game sells 40,000 tix in 90 minutes
Bears sign fifth-round pick Payne to four-year deal
Investigator: Witnesses can put Vick at dog fights
Bengals leave a light on for suspended Thurman
Former Raiders coordinator says Moss lost step
Inside NFL

Instead of being haunted by The Bobble, Tony Romo is focused on taking the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. Matt Mosley

Terrell Owens, remarkably quiet this offseason, stole the show on the first day of Cowboys minicamp. Matt Mosley

Bobby Petrino unveiled his high-flying offense at the Falcons' mandatory minicamp to rave reviews. Len Pasquarelli

Rookie Jamaal Anderson understands he has big shoes to fill in Atlanta, and the de- fensive end has hit the ground running. Len Pasquarelli

From the Lions' secondary issues to the Giants' lack of protection, certain teams still face major personnel issues. KC Joyner

In this week's version of The List, Joe Theismann looks at five players who are poised for breakout seasons in 2007. The List
ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2007 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

b bulldog
05-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Both guys have legit complaints, I agree totally wioth that but TT is the GM so I will side with him.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Both guys have legit complaints, I agree totally wioth that but TT is the GM so I will side with him.

BS. . . be honest man.

YOU are totally not down with Brett Favre.

By the way your man the GM has a 12-20 record. Brett Favre could conceiveably set every NFL record for a QB this season and is the face of the Green Bay Packers and one of it's five ALL TIME GREATS.

Ted Thompson may end up being nothing more than a bad memory.

Packnut
05-17-2007, 02:50 PM

BS. . . be honest man.

By the way your man the GM has a 12-20 record. Brett Favre could conceiveably set every NFL record for a QB this season and is the face of the Green Bay Packers and one of it's five ALL TIME GREATS.

He's been bashing Favre for quite a while now. As a matter of fact, he made more than a few posts about how Favre was washed up and should retire before last season.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 08:09 PM

BS. . . be honest man.

He's been bashing Favre for quite a while now. As a matter of fact, he made more than a few posts about how Favre was washed up and should retire before last season.

b bulldog is done with Favre.

That makes him rather unique. :)

pbmax
05-17-2007, 10:59 PM
No matter what records Favre holds or what Thompson's record is after 2 years, Favre is not more qualified to be the GM.

This entire conversation has revolved around why we didn't get Moss. The better question is why the heck would we want him? Its a five hundred team this year and Moss has quit on better teams.

I can understand if Favre wants to leave and play for a team ready to win now.

I don't think he should play GM privately or publicly. He is entitled to much, but not that.