PDA

View Full Version : Favre, Packers aren't a good fit anymore

FritzDontBlitz
05-16-2007, 05:12 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6813892

interesting points, worth a read.

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Even though Brett Favre refuses to speak to me anymore — apparently the backlash from some accurate reporting on his relationship with a former head coach and former offensive coordinator — I fully support his petulant reaction to the Packers' inability to trade for Randy Moss or any veteran receiving threat

Talk about 'smoozching'! This guy makes it sound like he and Brett were like best buds!
:roll:

Joemailman
05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Dumb article in my opinion. All this talk about the Packers having no weapons besides Favre is overblown. Driver and Jennings are a better pair of receivers than Tom Brady had last year. The key is whether the Packers OL can improve enough for McCarthy to open up the offense a little more.

The writer points out that the Packers best players are on defense. What's wrong with that? Plenty of teams have gotten to the Super Bowl that way. Thompson has acquired the makings of a very strong defense, but that gets ignored. Everyone seems to think that the only way the Packers can be successful is if Favre has enough weapons to enable him to throw 30-35 TD passes. I think they're wrong.

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Didn't Favre make a comment about the defense winning the games?
The Bears have always,... cough, cough,... been known for their defense.
It's not a bad thing.

Scott Campbell
05-16-2007, 06:20 PM
"This is why Green Bay should simply cut its ties with Favre. "

Yeah, and the US should simply win the war in Iraq.

BEARMAN
05-16-2007, 06:35 PM
It's not a bad thing.
SEEEEEE..... I knew there were BEAR lovers amoungst you packeretts ! :twisted:

Da BEARS win the NFCN (again) this year, Win the NFC Championship and Win the SB ! Someone please save this so I can rub your cheese smered noses in it later on. :shock: :lol:

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Da BEARS win the NFCN (again) this year

Wait a minute, how many times in the past umpteen years has this happened?
You make it sound like a annual.
Be careful here, noses may get rubbed...........but it may be yours!

MadtownPacker
05-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Da BEARS win the NFCN (again) this year, Win the NFC Championship and Win the SB ! Someone please save this so I can rub your cheese smered noses in it later on. :shock: :lol:We are still waiting for you to rub in your Superbowl victory from last season. Remember "bear down" and all that other RAH RAH crap?

Oh wait, did they win it all? :oops: Good thing it wasnt wrex's fault. :oops: :oops:

Well at least you can say the bears swept the Pack last season.

Wait, that didnt happen either. :lol:

packinpatland
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Well at least you can say the bears swept the Pack last season.

Wait, that didnt happen either.

High Five!!!!!!!

oregonpackfan
05-16-2007, 09:07 PM
It's not a bad thing.

Da BEARS win the NFCN (again) this year, Win the NFC Championship and Win the SB ! Someone please save this so I can rub your cheese smered noses in it later on. :shock: :lol:

Bearman,

Get Thee back to Thy Den!

Your QB needs some more nursing before he can be weaned! :)

b bulldog
05-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Good read

wist43
05-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Favre and the Packers will always be a good fit, and the way it should be...

The problem here is TT... he's rigid, undiplomatic, and completely lacking in people skills.

It's tough to work for people like that.

Merlin
05-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Dumb article in my opinion. All this talk about the Packers having no weapons besides Favre is overblown. Driver and Jennings are a better pair of receivers than Tom Brady had last year. The key is whether the Packers OL can improve enough for McCarthy to open up the offense a little more.

The writer points out that the Packers best players are on defense. What's wrong with that? Plenty of teams have gotten to the Super Bowl that way. Thompson has acquired the makings of a very strong defense, but that gets ignored. Everyone seems to think that the only way the Packers can be successful is if Favre has enough weapons to enable him to throw 30-35 TD passes. I think they're wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion. Driver is a made man, Jennings had a few good games. You can't compare the two of them to Welker, Moss and Stallworth (all made WR) and say that our tandem is a better "pair". Moss and Stallworth are both deep threats who put points on the board. Welker is a good WR. Driver is a good WR, the best over the middle and mid distance in the league. Jennings, who really knows?

I think you are wrong if you think the Packers can be successful finishing almost dead last in touchdowns and points. Defense only gets you so far. If the offense is anemic, you aren't going to win. The Bears have had a running game and until Grossman started, they didn't need to throw. We have no running game going in, 1 proven quality WR, 2 TE's that can't catch a cold, a suspect OL and a QB who isn't stupid. Your offense doesn't need to be high powered but you at least need something, anything, besides a QB and a WR. Jennings, Driver and Moss would have been dangerous. My only hope is that Robinson gets re-instated and he picks up where he left off, although being out of football for 1 year may affect his effectiveness for at least half the season.

I am not all doom and gloom, but Favre is right, the author is right about the offense. It is I am afraid, what it is.

Joemailman
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Read more carefully Merlin. I said Driver and Jennings are better than what Tom Brady had last year. My point is that the Patriots did quite well last year without an offense loaded with Pro-Bowl caliber weapons around their QB.

wist43
05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Read more carefully Merlin. I said Driver and Jennings are better than what Tom Brady had last year. My point is that the Patriots did quite well last year without an offense loaded with Pro-Bowl caliber weapons around their QB.

Ben Watson, Laurence Maroney, Corey Dillon, and their OL constitute a much better foundation than what the Packers are working with.

Beyond that, their QB is better, their coaching is much better, and their front office is much better - in terms of comparing franchises - there is no comparison.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM

The problem here is TT... he's rigid, undiplomatic, and completely lacking in people skills.

I agree with you.

Favre is always about winning now.

Has TT demonstrated that same goal this off season?

What Ted Thompson says and what he does are two entirely different things.

His latest . . ''we want to win now'' means so little if he hasn't prepared the table to do just that.

"We are optimistic about the 2007 season," Thompson said in the team-issued Sunday statement (Mother's Day 2007).

"We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within. We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."

Thompson also addressed the recent comments of quarterback Brett Favre, who expressed dissatisfaction about the team's failure to land Randy Moss. "I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," said Thompson.

" Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

Yea,right Ted. Suuuure. :shock:

TT has set his table without the silverware. :)

Spaulding
05-17-2007, 01:23 PM

Ben Watson, Laurence Maroney, Corey Dillon, and their OL constitute a much better foundation than what the Packers are working with.

Beyond that, their QB is better, their coaching is much better, and their front office is much better - in terms of comparing franchises - there is no comparison.

Wist, that's pure speculation. Watson was decent but nothing more than a polished blocker that averages 25 catches per season. Maroney was talented which I can't dispute but Dillon was nothing special and their OL was average at best. Light made the Pro-bowl as a reserve tackle but one could argue that a healthy Clifton and Tauscher have been snubbed in years past. Guard play last year has to give props to NE over the Packers but our play improved and there is no reason to think that this year our youngsters won't even things out or even prove to be better this coming year. Their WR position was a joke last year. Fergie is better than any of them and that isn't saying much.

How is that a better foundation? Seems marginal at best. Now if you picked the Chargers/Colts/Bengals I could see. I boils down to coaching and system, not players.

Joemailman
05-17-2007, 01:39 PM

Wist, how do you do your math? That's pure speculation. Watson was decent but nothing more than a polished blocker that averages 25 catches per season. Maroney was talented which I can't dispute but Dillon was nothing special and their OL was average at best. Light made the Pro-bowl as a reserve tackle but one could argue that a healthy Clifton and Tauscher have been snubbed in years past. Guard play last year has to give props to NE over the Packers but our play improved and there is no reason to think that this year our youngsters won't even things out or even provde to be better. Their WR position was a joke.

How is that a better foundation? Seems marginal at best. Now if you picked the Chargers/Colts/Bengals I could see. I boils down to coaching and system, not players.

You have to understand that to Wist, the grass is always greener on the other side. Except maybe for when we play Detroit.

wist43
05-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Gentlemen, surely you'e not going to try to argue that the Packers personnel on the offensive side of the ball is anywhere near the calibur of the Patriots???

WOW...

When it comes to the Patriots vs the Packers??? The grass definitely IS greener...

Lay off the Kool-Aid guys!!!
:wink:

The Leaper
05-17-2007, 03:55 PM

Driver is certainly better...but Jennings? Packer fans give Jennings far too much credit...he shouldn't be a starting WR yet. Outside of Driver, both WR squads were pedestrian in 2006.

The Patriot OL is better than the Packer OL, even if the Patriot OL isn't much better than average.

The Patriot RBs were much better than the Packer RBs. Maroney on his own is better than a Green-Morency combo...even if you take Dillon out of the equation.

The most important difference was Belichick and staff vs. McCarthy and staff. It isn't even a comparison.

Brady is certainly a better QB right now than Favre...without question. However, to claim his supporting cast is no better than Favre's is ridiculous.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Gentlemen, surely you'e not going to try to argue that the Packers personnel on the offensive side of the ball is anywhere near the calibur of the Patriots???

WOW...

When it comes to the Patriots vs the Packers??? The grass definitely IS greener...

Sadly. YUP !!

I really am excited to see how all this will go for us non the less. :)

Bretsky
05-17-2007, 06:56 PM

WOW...

AT THIS POINT, TALENT WISE

Pats OL > GB's
Pats QB > GB's
Pats TE > GB's
Pats RB > GB's

WR's would be more debateable. Driver and Jennings might be better than the Pats top 2 or pretty close.

But after that the Pats have more proven depth at WR

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 07:39 PM

WOW...

Pats OL > GB's
Pats QB > GB's
Pats TE > GB's
Pats RB > GB's

WR's would be more debateable. Driver and Jennings might be better than the Pats top 2 or pretty close.

and that's why they enter this off season after the draft as the second leading contender for a SB.

BallHawk
05-17-2007, 07:44 PM

WOW...

Pats OL > GB's
Pats QB > GB's
Pats TE > GB's
Pats RB > GB's

What's your take on the Defensive side of the ball? I would say our DL and our CBs are better then theirs.

Bretsky
05-17-2007, 07:59 PM

WOW...

Pats OL > GB's
Pats QB > GB's
Pats TE > GB's
Pats RB > GB's

What's your take on the Defensive side of the ball? I would say our DL and our CBs are better then theirs.

GB CB > NE
GB S < NE

GB DL = NE (Warren and Seymour make a pretty great combo
GB LB > ND (I think) may be wrong here

NE K > GB
NE P > GB
NE ST > GB

RashanGary
05-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Pretty accurate Bretsky. I agree with that.

NE is one of the elite 3 teams IMO. Hard to compete with those guys. Even if we had the saftety Grant, Randy Moss and the FB from Atlanta it would still be the same so there wasn't much we could have done in one off season to compete with the top 3.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I'll lay this down here. Is there anything available to support this?

POSTED 9:15 p.m. EDT, May 16, 2007

BRETT BACKLASH BUILDING

It appears that the recent temper tantrum attributed to Packers quarterback Brett Favre could have been the first step in getting his previously loyal-to-a-fault teammates to begin thinking more critically about their cranky signal-caller.

In response to Favre's recent effort to skip out on a mandatory minicamp in order to prepare for his daughter's high school graduation, a source with knowledge of the situation says that one player mused aloud, "Who does [Favre] think he is, Roger Clemens?"

The talk among the players also is that the front office won't make a run at receiver Keyshawn Johnson, in part because the perception among the troops is that the powers-that-be are "fed up" with Favre.

Usually, a star player's decision to stick around for too long manifests itself in embarrassing performances on the field. In Favre's case, he's still physically fine.

But folks appears to be finally growing weary after nearly five years of tiptoeing around the delicate genius as he decides on an annual basis whether to grace the world with his continuing presence on the roster.

Comment woodbuck27:

Is this an isolated observation or rumor? Note that the above was released after this:

POSTED 6:23 p.m. EDT, May 16, 2007

FAVRE CAVES ON MINICAMP

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre will report for this weekend's mandatory minicamp. Favre previously had said that he will skip the minicamp due to his daughter's upcoming high school graduation, and because offseason ankle surgery will prevent him from participating in any of the on-field sessions.

But a team spokesman said earlier this week that coach Mike McCarthy regards the camp as mandatory since, you know, it is. Mandatory, that is.

Per Mort, Brett has had a change of heart, and will make the trek from Missisippi to Wisconsin.

We score the round 10-9, Packers.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Just for the record:

Agent: Favre changes mind, will attend minicamp
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: May 16, 2007, 8:15 PM ET
Brett Favre will attend the Green Bay Packers minincamp this weekend, after all, according to his agent. Not only will he report on Friday but he expects to participate in all practices, despite having ankle surgery this offseason.

"Brett's going to camp because it's the right thing to do ... he's going up there for his teammates, to check out some of the new guys and he expects to do everything everybody else does," said Bus Cook, Favre's agent.

Favre said last weekend that he would not attend minicamp because his family was preparing for the high school graduation of his daughter Brittany. The fact that a Packers spokesman reminded the media that the minicamp was "mandatory" -- which meant Favre could be subject to an $8,000 daily fine -- apparently did not play a factor in Favre's change of heart.

"Nobody from the Packers has ever threatened a fine or told him he needed to get his butt up there -- knowing Brett, that would probably have an opposite effect," Cook said. "He did say last weekend that he wasn't going but said he got to thinking about it and, again, he felt that getting to minicamp was just the right thing to do.

"As far as Brittany and graduation goes, Brett realized that they're pretty organized and they've rearranged some things. They had a big party last week, they've been visiting colleges and there's graduation next week [May 25], so it's been a busy time for Brett and the family."

Cook also indicated that Favre's anger with the team for not acquiring Randy Moss in a trade had subsided.

"Just to make ourselves clear -- nobody has ever demanded a trade," Cook said. "Brett has never asked to be traded and he doesn't want to be traded."

HarveyWallbangers
05-17-2007, 10:10 PM
NE K > GB

You realize they don't have Vinatieri anymore, right?

They had a rookie kicker who had a slightly better kicking percentage than Rayner, but he only had 5 attempts from 40+ yards--while Rayner had 14 attempts from 40+ yards. I'd easily take the combination of Rayner and Crosby over Gostkowski.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I'll go with that shellacking the Pat's put on us last season as the verdict in Green Bay Vs NE.

We have a ways to go to be in that company.

Let's just hope our running game doesn't fall back anymore as a start.

Bretsky
05-18-2007, 06:27 AM
NE K > GB

You realize they don't have Vinatieri anymore, right?

They had a rookie kicker who had a slightly better kicking percentage than Rayner, but he only had 5 attempts from 40+ yards--while Rayner had 14 attempts from 40+ yards. I'd easily take the combination of Rayner and Crosby over Gostkowski.

I absolutely realized that

I loved Gastowski coming out of the draft last year and would take him w/o hesitation over either of our guys.

HarveyWallbangers
05-18-2007, 09:09 AM

I loved Gastowski coming out of the draft last year and would take him w/o hesitation over either of our guys.

Rayner had a similar year, if not better when you consider the difficulty of his kicks, in 2006. Crosby is as good of a prospect as Gostkowski was coming out. Rayner wasn't a bad prospect either (he WAS drafted). All three are pretty similar, but we have two guys instead of one. I like our chances of having the better kicker because of those odds. Now, you are just player hating. I smell a bet.

Bretsky
05-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Rayner had a similar year, if not better when you consider the difficulty of his kicks, in 2006. Crosby is as good of a prospect as Gostkowski was coming out. Rayner wasn't a bad prospect either (he WAS drafted). All three are pretty similar, but we have two guys instead of one. I like our chances of having the better kicker because of those odds. Now, you are just player hating. I smell a bet.

Yup, time to set up the parameters for Free Beers for Brestky !

Scott Campbell
01-05-2008, 06:26 AM

I agree with you.

Favre is always about winning now.

Has TT demonstrated that same goal this off season?

What Ted Thompson says and what he does are two entirely different things.

His latest . . ''we want to win now'' means so little if he hasn't prepared the table to do just that.

"We are optimistic about the 2007 season," Thompson said in the team-issued Sunday statement (Mother's Day 2007).

"We feel like we've had a great offseason program -- our guys are getting bigger and stronger -- and we'll improve from within. We're also excited about the players we've added through the draft and what those players will bring to our team."

Thompson also addressed the recent comments of quarterback Brett Favre, who expressed dissatisfaction about the team's failure to land Randy Moss. "I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time -- that's simply being human," said Thompson.

" Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

Yea,right Ted. Suuuure. :shock:

TT has set his table without the silverware. :)

Yeah, well Ted sure stuck a fork in you.

:lol:

Bretsky
01-05-2008, 08:34 AM

Yup, time to set up the parameters for Free Beers for Brestky !

Funny stuff; Harv could have had free beers.

MJZiggy
01-05-2008, 08:41 AM
You mean he didn't anyway?

]{ilr]3
01-05-2008, 09:00 AM
:laugh:

Da BEARS win the NFCN (again) this year, Win the NFC Championship and Win the SB ! Someone please save this so I can rub your cheese smered noses in it later on. :shock: :lol: :eyes:

These old threads are just to much fun! :butt:

Bretsky
01-05-2008, 09:18 AM
You mean he didn't anyway?

He's kind of a lightweight :lol: