PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign QB

Joemailman
05-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Packers sign rookie quarterback

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers signed another undrafted rookie quarterback, Oklahoma’s Paul Thompson, for this weekend’s minicamp and perhaps beyond.

Thompson (6-3 5/8, 216) played receiver for a good part of his career at Oklahoma but last season was its quarterback after projected starter Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team in the summer.

Thompson finished the season completing 60.7 percent of his passes (204-for-336), including throwing 22 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Some teams considered him an NFL prospect as a combination receiver, return man and specialty quarterback rather than as a true quarterback. But General Manager Ted Thompson said the Packers signed him as a pure quarterback prospect.

“We did a lot of work on him there at the end (of the draft evaluation),” Thompson said. “He was at the (scouting) combine as a thrower. He is a good athlete but he also threw the ball pretty well, and you go back and watch the game tape, especially toward the end of the season there at Oklahoma, we thought he played pretty well and deserved another look.”

Thompson’s presence will give the Packers three healthy quarterbacks at minicamp this weekend: third-stringer Ingle Martin, undrafted rookie Jerry Babb and Thompson.

Backup Aaron Rodgers is coming back from a broken left foot and probably will have only limited participation in drills. Starter Brett Favre has not fully recovered from offseason ankle surgery and might not show up for the camp at all.

I realize it won't get rid of Bretsky's sig, but Stocco got his own thread, so why not this guy?

Bretsky
05-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Terrell Buckley instead of Troy Vincent
The Fraud instead of Chris Chambers
Paul Thompson instead of John Stocco

ANTI FRICKIN BADGERS !!!

BallHawk
05-16-2007, 07:22 PM
His stats look good....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=136735

oregonpackfan
05-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Thompson's size gives him an advantage over Stocco.

One cannot say the Packers did not give Stocco a chance. They did invite him in for rookie camp.

I saw Thompson play twice in the Oregon-Oklahoma game and the Boise State-Oklahoma Bowl game. I thought Thompson was impressive. He did not overwhelm me with a "Hey, this guy is going to be a great pro" type of impression but I thought he was a very good Division I QB.

Fritz
05-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Bretsky, you gotta admit this one does not come close to matching the Fergy-over-Chambers and Buttley-over-Vincent moves. We're talking about camp QB's here. Besides, the Giants didn't sign Stocco either.

Bretsky
05-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Bretsky, you gotta admit this one does not come close to matching the Fergy-over-Chambers and Buttley-over-Vincent moves. We're talking about camp QB's here. Besides, the Giants didn't sign Stocco either.

I know; just throwing something out for a bit of entertainment

cpk1994
05-17-2007, 06:52 AM

I know; just throwing something out for a bit of entertainment

Whew, for a second there I thought I was going to have to throw Mark Tausher out there to rebut.