PDA

View Full Version : Similarities

packinpatland
05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
This from SI's Don Banks:
• Green Bay -- There were many of us pundits who watched Aaron Rodgers fall to No. 24 Green Bay in the 2005 draft and then quickly opined that the ex-Cal star might have tumbled into the perfect position to launch his NFL career. Learning under Brett Favre for a year or so didn't sound so bad, even if replacing a legend is never enviable.

But as the third year of Rodgers' career looms, Favre refuses to yield the stage, and there are at least rumblings that Green Bay isn't as high on Rodgers today as it was two years ago. All in all, I don't like Rodgers' chances of having much of a career as a Packer. And is it just me, or do Favre and baseball's Mr. Can't Say Goodbye, Roger Clemens, have more in common all the time?

Maybe what they have in common is that they can still play pretty damn good.

LL2
05-17-2007, 12:04 PM
And is it just me, or do Favre and baseball's Mr. Can't Say Goodbye, Roger Clemens, have more in common all the time?

Seems like they do, but Clemens gets to pick and choose who he gets to play for every year. I would say that Clemens at 37 was better than Favre is now at 37. I wouldn't write Rodgers off yet. Romo didn't start until his 4th year and he was real good last year. If Favre plays yet another year the Pack should trade Rodgers for a 3rd rd pick and pick another player to groom.

Jimx29
05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
And is it just me, or do Favre and baseball's Mr. Can't Say Goodbye, Roger Clemens, have more in common all the time?

Seems like they do, but Clemens gets to pick and choose who he gets to play for every year. That's cause pigs like Steinbrenner have ruined the game of baseball by turning it from a great sport, to a business.

wist43
05-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I've been one of the more vocal critics of Rodgers... nothing personal, I just don't think he has the mental/psychological makeup to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Even if Rodgers turns out to be an average NFL QB, we're going to experience a drop off in production and leadership at the most critical position on the team.

The Packers, even with Favre, are going nowhere this year; assuming Rodgers can't play and the Packers give him two years to (dis)prove he can play - that puts us 3 years futher into the TT era, still no reasonable hope of contending.

At that point, TT will have been our GM for 6 years. With no QB, and never being inclined to spend in FA, will TT "panic" and actually move up in a draft, or crack open the checkbook in the offseason - all in an attempt to save his job???

Freak Out
05-17-2007, 12:24 PM
At that point, TT will have been our GM for 6 years. With no QB, and never being inclined to spend in FA, will TT "panic" and actually move up in a draft, or crack open the checkbook in the offseason - all in an attempt to save his job???

No...because he has a plan and will stay the course. Even if it is not working. Sound familiar?

ND72
05-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Even if Rodgers turns out to be an average NFL QB, we're going to experience a drop off in production and leadership at the most critical position on the team.

You mean after a Hall of Fame, former 3-time MVP of the league retires, we'll have a drop off in producation and leadership? WEIRD!!!!!!!!!

Zool
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
That is a problem for every team thats ever had a HOF QB. The 49ers are the one exception that comes to mind. Look at what they had after Young retired though. What has Denver had since 1998? Cutler might be the real deal, but it was close to a decade while they searched.

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I've been one of the more vocal critics of Rodgers... nothing personal, I just don't think he has the mental/psychological makeup to be a starting QB in the NFL.

The Packers, even with Favre, are going nowhere this year; assuming Rodgers can't play and the Packers give him two years to (dis)prove he can play - that puts us 3 years futher into the TT era, still no reasonable hope of contending.

2005-07 Brett Favre or two plus one (1) season's and to date a 12-20 record.

That's assuming that this will be Favre's final effort. Really how much more of what we've seen can evan that man take?

Aaron Rodgers steps in for a maximum of two season's. To date he hasn't shown the ability to be a back-up and it takes much more to be a starting QB on our team.

At the conclusion of the 2009 season TT will have to be set to move on with another QB. If I'm seeing this correctly then his record will be very bad as our GM and in all honestly he'll be dismissed after five seasons of losing. Packer fans are not going to put up with his ways any longer.

It's now time for TT to really change his ways and get to real.

The time for TT was last and this season with the CAP money available to him to show a winner. His best card was Brett Favre and that's about waisted.

TT reminds me of the Texas Holdem' player that only wants to anti-up. He is never really in the game. He's far too careful. He lacks the personality with the dynamics to get us ahead. His die is cast now and real talented players around the NFL will avoid his too casual approach.

Getting it done solely via the draft is a fools approach.

GO PACKERS !