View Full Version : Brandon Jackson blocked from attending camp

Rastak
05-17-2007, 01:49 PM
L.A. event blocks Packers' Jackson from camp

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: May 17, 2007, 2:36 PM ET

Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson felt as if he were on top of the world when the Packers drafted him in the second round in April.
As a second-round pick, Jackson had an immediate opportunity to compete for a starting job in Green Bay's backfield. And, as a first-day drafted offensive player at a skill position, he received an invitation to participate in this weekend's Premiere event in Los Angeles, where top selected skill players attend photo card shoots, contend for endorsements and receive television exposure. Even better, players receive $12,000 for attending.

Yet Jackson's good fortune, however, has turned sour in recent days.

The Premiere event was scheduled for the same weekend as the Packers' minicamp -- and Jackson couldn't choose. The NFL Players Association and the Management Council ruled this week that Jackson was required to attend the Premiere event and not the minicamp.

"I'm being held out against my will," Jackson said Thursday. "I was told I either have to go home and do nothing or go to Los Angeles. They are locking me out against my will."

Once Jackson received the invitation to L.A., he sensed a problem. He knew the shoot conflicted with his Packers schedule. Through his agent, Gary Wichard, Jackson notified the league of the conflict and informed officials he wanted to attend the minicamp. He showed up this week and started to work on training and learning the playbook.

Reports of Brett Favre's now-expected attendance in minicamp made Jackson feel even better about picking camp over the Premiere event. Jackson was going to try to show Favre that the Packers' backfield problems, with him now on the roster, would not be as pronounced.

"I feel like I need to learn the plays so I can come back and try to win a starting job in the fall," Jackson said. "I've only had four or five practices with the veterans, but my agent told me the collective bargaining agreement couldn't let me go to the minicamp."

Jackson's time commitment in Los Angeles will be from Thursday night through Sunday. He's worried his new teammates might not understand his absence.

"I don't want them to think I'm some kind of a prima donna," Jackson said. "I want to show them I want to work and get a feel for the game. I'm real disappointed. I want to be in camp."

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com

Scott Campbell
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Aren't the Packers responsible for scheduling mini camp around NFLPA mandatory events?

woodbuck27
05-17-2007, 02:00 PM
That's tough for this young hopeful.

His attitude appears great. :)

Spaulding
05-17-2007, 03:21 PM
My impression of him from those comments is that he fits the mold of most TT draft choices - football players first. Gotta love his attitude. You would think that a player would have a choice though given he is employed by the Pack.

BF4MVP
05-17-2007, 03:28 PM
If the LA event and the minicamp are both mandatory, which they are, then how does the LA event take precedence over the minicamp? That's crap. BJack should be able to come to the minicamp...

Rastak
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
If the LA event and the minicamp are both mandatory, which they are, then how does the LA event take precedence over the minicamp? That's crap. BJack should be able to come to the minicamp...

The good of the many before the good of the few as Spock once said.....

The Leaper
05-17-2007, 03:50 PM
How is Jackson bound by collective bargaining when he hasn't signed an NFL contract yet?

Apparently they must sign something else when they apply for the draft???

Cheesehead Craig
05-17-2007, 04:07 PM

Can Spock come in and run the offense?

Packnut
05-17-2007, 04:17 PM
He should never have accepted the invitiation in the first place without consulting with the League and the Packers.

BallHawk
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
He should never have accepted the invitiation in the first place without consulting with the League and the Packers.

I believe he didn't have a choice. It's for the nation's top college RBs and he feel under that category.

Freak Out
05-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Can Spock come in and run the offense?

To hell with the offense...Spock needs to come run the country!

What a joke the NFL is! He has to go to the media deal and not practice....crazy.

packinpatland
05-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Whoever says the media doesn't have total control is crazy.

Packnut
05-17-2007, 06:05 PM

I believe he didn't have a choice. It's for the nation's top college RBs and he feel under that category.

It said he "received and invitation". Invitations are not mandatory. In any event, this is an important camp and missing it sucks.

esoxx
05-17-2007, 06:25 PM
He needs to be there. WTF

BallHawk
05-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Once Jackson received the invitation to L.A., he sensed a problem. He knew the shoot conflicted with his Packers schedule.

That makes it sound like he definitely didn't have a choice. If he instantly recognized the problem, why would he accept. I think this is something where you go and there's nothing you can say about it.

If I were Jackson, however, I would appeal. I don't know how exactly the NFL or NCAA appeal system works, but there's got to be some way he can make this seen to. It's worth a shot.

Joemailman
05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Aren't the Packers responsible for scheduling mini camp around NFLPA mandatory events?

I agree. Only 4 teams out of 32 have mini-camps scheduled scheduled for this weekend (Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay and Indianapolis). Most teams have theirs scheduled May 11-13 or 12-14. Perhaps a lack of communication between the coaching staff and the Packers NFLPA rep?

Bretsky
05-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Michael Turner would have been here :lol:

Scratch that idea; TT would have had to give up a draft pick above round 5

Packgator
05-17-2007, 10:56 PM
That's ridiculous! How can they order him to miss a manditory camp? Sets a terrible example for the rookies.

CaptainKickass
05-17-2007, 11:47 PM
If I were him - I would have given LA the proverbial finger and been in GB for the camp.

My reasoning is simple:

It's called the "National FOOTBALL League". I'm assuming that means football first. Big assumption, I know. And even if he gets in some sort of "situation" with the league as a result - the bottom line is that not only would he have instantly endeared himself to the GB fans... but more importantly, he would have scored huge points with the coaching staff and his teammates.

At the risk of being redundant:

It's called the "National FOOTBALL League".

Patler
05-18-2007, 12:05 AM
L.A. event blocks Packers' Jackson from camp

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: May 17, 2007, 2:36 PM ET

The Premiere event was scheduled for the same weekend as the Packers' minicamp -- and Jackson couldn't choose. The NFL Players Association and the Management Council ruled this week that Jackson was required to attend the Premiere event and not the minicamp.

"I'm being held out against my will," Jackson said Thursday. "I was told I either have to go home and do nothing or go to Los Angeles. They are locking me out against my will."

Once Jackson received the invitation to L.A., he sensed a problem. He knew the shoot conflicted with his Packers schedule. Through his agent, Gary Wichard, Jackson notified the league of the conflict and informed officials he wanted to attend the minicamp. He showed up this week and started to work on training and learning the playbook.

"I feel like I need to learn the plays so I can come back and try to win a starting job in the fall," Jackson said. "I've only had four or five practices with the veterans, but my agent told me the collective bargaining agreement couldn't let me go to the minicamp."

Seems pretty clear that it was an "order", NOT an invitation!

Joemailman
05-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Here is the JSO article on this situation:

NFL blocks rookie Jackson from attending minicamp
He's caught in shuffle of player trading cards
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 17, 2007

Rookie running back Brandon Jackson got on a plane Thursday, but he wasn't bound for Green Bay anticipating his first handoff from Brett Favre and running behind Chad Clifton.

Instead, he was going to Los Angeles to flash his best smile. And he isn't happy about it.

The Green Bay Packers' second-round draft pick from Nebraska should be coming to Green Bay to get an eye-opener at his first full squad minicamp, and then enjoy the spoils - promotions, photographs, fame and money - if and when he ascends the depth chart.

Instead, Jackson is forced to choose the glitz of Hollywood over the grit of Green Bay.

According to Jackson's agent, Gary Wichard, a mandate handed down from the National Football League Management Council this week has barred Jackson from attending the Packers' mandatory minicamp today through Sunday because Jackson is expected to attend the "2007 Reebok NFL Rookie Premier, presented by EA Sports" to start working on his endorsement deals and player cards.

His only real choice is either to go to Los Angeles or stay at home. But he can't come to minicamp.

"They literally locked him out of camp," Wichard said. "The team is not allowed to have him. I think it's ridiculous."

Wichard first notified his client last Friday that he had been invited to the prestigious Premier event. It is a huge honor. It's the first time players are photographed by trading card companies like Topps, Press Pass and Upper Deck in their official pro gear.

Jackson was thrilled, of course. It lumps him in the "Who's Who" of future NFL stars. But he passed because of the schedule conflict.

"Brandon said, 'I want to go to the mandatory minicamp. This is with the veterans. I am going to get my shot at working with them,' " Wichard said.

Wichard respectfully declined on Jackson's behalf.

"They said, 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, this is big, this is important,' " Wichard said. "I said, 'This is Brandon's decision. He wants to be in minicamp with his new teammates.' "

But on Wednesday, Wichard said, the Management Council (essentially the governing body of the NFL) told the Packers and Jackson that he isn't even allowed at the Packers' practice facility this weekend even if he doesn't go to the Rookie Premier.

Time will tell how much his absence from minicamp will set back Jackson in his development as a pro player. Instead of fighting Vernand Morency and Noah Herron for the early lead for the starting running back spot, he'll collect $12,000 for the weekend and is supposed to go against Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell and Adrian Peterson for endorsements and television exposure.

And there's no way Jackson could just pay a fine or something to get out of the NFL's version of a cotillion. Wichard doesn't see any way Jackson could even spend today in Los Angeles and at least join his team Saturday and Sunday.

The five sponsors of the event - Topps, EA Sports, Press Pass, Upper Deck and Reebok - pay big licensing fees to the NFL. This event is also scheduled to air at some point on NFL Network.

"You see what it is. It has nothing to do with the kid from Nebraska trying to make an impact," Wichard said. "All those licensees have a lot of money tied up and they want to make sure they have Brandon Jackson, the Green Bay running back, in their first rookie card deck. This is the big moment to launch him as a Green Bay Packer."

Thursday morning, Packers coach Mike McCarthy was asked if he expected everyone on the roster to attend the camp.

"I expect all our players to be here and I have not excused anybody," McCarthy said.

By Thursday afternoon, the Packers were deferring all questions about the Premier matter to Wichard. General manager Ted Thompson could not be reached for comment, and neither could anyone at the NFL offices or the NFL Players Association.

But McCarthy did say Thursday that he was looking forward to seeing Jackson on the field. Coming from Nebraska, which plays a West Coast offense with a zone-blocking scheme like the Packers', Jackson was supposed to get his first chance to get on the field with the rest of the Green Bay running backs and linemen this weekend.

"You're always gaining information, particularly about the new players because you never really understand an individual until you go through the heat of the battle," McCarthy said. "Obviously in the practice environment you're able to find out certain things."

FritzDontBlitz
05-18-2007, 05:18 AM
welcome to life as an indentured servant of the most successful monopoly in america.

LL2
05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
I’m sure Jackson wishes he was in GB and not LA this weekend, but I bet a part of him thinks it will be fun to hang out with some of the other marquee picks of this years draft. I would. Aside from that I’m really starting to like this guy and hope he has a great impact on the offense. He really seems to fit what M3 wants in a RB. Someone that can block, catch passes, and knows how in run in a zone system. He seems to have a great attitude too. I’m glad we have him over Lynch. I can’t wait to see him in a preseason game.

mraynrand
05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
To hell with the offense...Spock needs to come run the country!

As a teacher on a training mission, I am content to command the
Enterprise. If we are to go on actual duty, it is clear that the senior officer on board must assume command. In other words, I see myself as more of a Vice President or Chief of Staff. Live long and prosper.

http://services.tos.net/pics/st2/st2-spock.gif

Chubbyhubby
05-18-2007, 10:04 AM
The good of the many before the good of the few as Spock once said.....[/quote]

I glad there is another 'trekie' on this board...

MadtownPacker
05-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I’m sure Jackson wishes he was in GB and not LA this weekend, but I bet a part of him thinks it will be fun to hang out with some of the other marquee picks of this years draft. I would.
Yeah, since he has to be there he should enjoy it. As long as his attitude about it remains the same we have nothing to worry about. Got to say I am very impressed with Jackson, he already handles the media better then Favre. :D

BallHawk
05-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Just got mentioned on both Around the Horn and PTI. Anthony Gonzalez is in the same situation.

esoxx
05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Not a good way to start your NFL career.

gbpackfan
05-18-2007, 09:34 PM

HA HA. Come on man, are you serious? Yeah, it would be great if he could go but as long as he is at the OTAs and stays healthy during training camp, he'll be just fine.

Fritz
05-19-2007, 07:32 AM
If I were him - I would have given LA the proverbial finger and been in GB for the camp.

My reasoning is simple:

It's called the "National FOOTBALL League". I'm assuming that means football first. Big assumption, I know. And even if he gets in some sort of "situation" with the league as a result - the bottom line is that not only would he have instantly endeared himself to the GB fans... but more importantly, he would have scored huge points with the coaching staff and his teammates.

At the risk of being redundant:

It's called the "National FOOTBALL League".

Cap'n, I admire the sentiment but the truth is that this is the National Entertainment Corporation.

Joemailman
05-19-2007, 07:55 AM

Actually, I think it was a good way to start his career.He made it clear he would have prepared to be in camp instead of at a paid promotional event. This should gain him some immediate respect with the veterans on the team, which can sometimes be a tough thing for a rookie to do. Missing the minicamp is a temporary setback in his development, but the way he handled the situation will gain him respect that will stick.

the_idle_threat
05-19-2007, 07:59 AM

Actually, I think it was a good way to start his career.He made it clear he would have prepared to be in camp instead of at a paid promotional event. This should gain him some immediate respect with the veterans on the team, which can sometimes be a tough thing for a rookie to do. Missing the minicamp is a temporary setback in his development, but the way he handled the situation will gain him respect that will stick.

I agree. The NFL scheduled one event, and the Packers scheduled the other. The kid was put between a rock and a hard place. The way he reacted is probably the best he could have done.

pbmax
05-19-2007, 02:00 PM
This is a great point. If you include Trading Card companies like Upper Deck and Topps in your definition of the media. I'm sure Gum manufacturers, Rupert Murdoch, Peter Jennings, 33rd Degree Masons and the Tri-Lateral Commission are involved, somehow, as well.

"2007 Reebok NFL Rookie Premier, presented by EA Sports" to start working on his endorsement deals and player cards...

Wichard first notified his client last Friday that he had been invited to the prestigious Premier event. It is a huge honor. It's the first time players are photographed by trading card companies like Topps, Press Pass and Upper Deck in their official pro gear.

Jackson was thrilled, of course. It lumps him in the "Who's Who" of future NFL stars. But he passed because of the schedule conflict.

Whoever says the media doesn't have total control is crazy.[/quote]

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 01:05 AM
Don't forget the Bilderbergers. :twisted:

And of course, the Spanish Inquisition!

http://people.csail.mit.edu/paulfitz/spanish/tt2.jpg