PDA

View Full Version : MINICAMP notes...

packers11
05-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Friday, May 18, 2007
TE Franks works with second team
Quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers sat out the first 11-on-11 team period Friday.

Other notes:

-- Guard Jason Spitz was replaced by Junius Coston.

-- TE Bubba Franks worked with the second-team offense, while TE Donald Lee worked with the firstteam.

-- Tom Pelissero, assistant sports editor, Press-Gazette
posted by PackersNews.com at 2:50 PM | 0 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players not participating listed
The following players are not practicing at Friday afternoon's minicamp session:

S Marviel Underwood
RB Arliss Beach
RB Brandon Jackson
RB DeShawn Wynn
LB Marcus Randall
LB Abdul Hodge
LB Desmond Bishop
G Tony Palmer
T Kevin Barry
G Jason Spitz
DE Aaron Kampman

-- Rob Demovsky, Press-Gazette reporter
posted by PackersNews.com at 2:35 PM | 0 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Favre, Rodgers participate in walk-through
Quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers participated in the walk-through portion of practice Friday at the Don Hutson Center.

Neither player showed any noticeable limp, though players were moving at half speed at best.

A number of players were not participating, including linebacker Abdul Hodge and defensive end Aaron Kampman. Guard Jason Spitz left practice early and trainers appeared to be working on one of his legs.

General Manager Ted Thompson, who Favre criticized last weekend, was on the field.

-- Tom Pelissero, assistant sports editor
posted by PackersNews.com at 2:30 PM | 0 Comments

PackerBlues
05-18-2007, 04:11 PM
General Manager Ted Thompson, who Favre criticized last weekend, was on the field.

-- Tom Pelissero, assistant sports editor

They never let up do they. Even after everything has been said that needs to be said.......they just dont let it go.

Do you think anyone reading an article about the Packers would have trouble figuring out who Ted Thompson is? Did any of you think to yourselves "Ted Thompson? who's that?......Oh yeah, that guy that Favre criticized."

BallHawk
05-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Damn, has Bubba really fallen that far?

BooHoo
05-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I am surprised that Lee beat out Franks. Well, this is still mini-camp so there is a lot of time left before the season begins.

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Maybe Bubba ddin't work to hard in the off season.

HarveyWallbangers
05-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Maybe Bubba ddin't work to hard in the off season.

I wouldn't read too much into it at this point.

MadtownPacker
05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Good! Drop his ass to the practice squad until he starts catching the damn ball!

FritzDontBlitz
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
bubba has been demoted eh? after what? a poor showing in team photos?

its the first fuggin practice, jeez.

and who actually thinks donald lee would be a better idea?

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 05:36 PM
The Packers have a pretty dedicated group at the off season workouts. I think last year was a record # of players attending and this year from what I remember reading was even better. If Bubba decided to just not hsow up and Donald Lee was here working his tail off, I could see the coach giving teh starting gig to the hard worker until he loses it. Also, during these off season workouts, the players also had meetings with position coaches so the guys who showed up should have decent jump.

I think the most likely reason is either A. Injury or B. Lee just worked harder and they are making him lose it as opposed to making him take it from Bubba.

packers11
05-18-2007, 05:37 PM
First-round pick Harrell at practice but skips 11-on-11 drills
The Packers continued to be careful with defensive tackle Justin Harrell at the team's first minicamp practice Friday. The first-round draft pick was at practice but did not participate in any 11-on-11 contact drills.

The same goes for quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, who Coach Mike McCarthy said are both in the final stages of their injury rehabilitation. McCarthy said guard Jason Spitz left practice after tweaking his back and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila left after taking a shot to his thigh.

McCarthy also said wide receiver Robert Ferguson should be ready for the team's organized team activities, while defensive end Aaron Kampman probably will not participate until training camp.

Ferguson has a mid-foot injury, while Kampman underwent arthroscopic surgery on his knee this offseason.

-- Tom Pelissero, Press-Gazette assistant sports editor
posted by PackersNews.com at 4:11 PM | 0 Comments

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Holy Crap, they kept the knee scope on Kampman secret until now? I had no clue he was getting his knee scoped.

Bretsky
05-18-2007, 05:44 PM
""Ferguson has a mid-foot injury""

GUY HASN'T BEEN HEALTHY SINCE COLLEGE

BRING BACK TACO WALLACE !!

Partial
05-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Holy Crap, they kept the knee scope on Kampman secret until now? I had no clue he was getting his knee scoped.

Who cares? It takes about a week to recover from having a knee scoped now-a-days.

gbpackfan
05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Bretsky,

I was thinking the same thing. Ferguson is hurt ALL the time. What a pussy. I think the Ferguson experiment is over. Cut him, give someone else his reps.

BallHawk
05-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Bretsky,

I was thinking the same thing. Ferguson is hurt ALL the time. What a pussy. I think the Ferguson experiment is over. Cut him, give someone else his reps.

He's never been the same since that Donovan Darrius hit a few years back.

sepporepi
05-18-2007, 06:10 PM
It is still his Lisfranc injury from last season, not a new one..

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Who cares? It takes about a week to recover from having a knee scoped now-a-days.

Whoa, who pissed in your coffee?

I was saying it more of a suprise because we follow so closely that for us not to knwo our probowl DE had any type of surgery is a suprise. They are pretty secretive over at 1265 as of late.

BallHawk
05-18-2007, 06:15 PM

A week is maybe a little bit under exaggerated, and when you count in playing football, it's not your normal surgery.

packinpatland
05-18-2007, 06:37 PM

First day, come on.
Maybe Coach is using that reverse psychology stuff on him.

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 06:40 PM
You know what they say about smoke, right?

1. Bubba has a shitty year *might be the line's fault*
2. McCarthy replaces him in the starting lineup with a young guy

There is something here. Will Bubba step up and prove he's still the Bubba of old? I don't know but this is certainly not a good sign for him.

This is either the beginning of the end of a turning point for him.

Joemailman
05-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I suspect it means they are telling Bubba he is not the anointed starter. If he wants to be the starter, he will have to earn it in training camp. Still, Bubba is the best blocker among the TE's, so he probably has the inside track.

packers11
05-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Gone Campin'
Some more observations from first minicamp practice:

-- Bubba Franks rotated in with the first-team offense during later 11-on-11 portions of practice today. Donald Lee, however, got the first rep in each series.

-- With Justin Harrell (arm) sitting out, Corey Williams got the lion's share of action alongside Ryan Pickett with the first-team defense. Colin Cole also rotated in. The absence of Aaron Kampman (knee) gave Michael Montgomery extended action at left end.

-- Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (broken foot) sat out all team drills, but he looked confident throwing the football -- and moving in the pocket -- during other portions of practice. The most memorable throw was a spiraling strike to Carlyle Holiday that traveled 55 yards in the air. Rodgers rolled to his left on the play and did not appear to have any hesitation or difficulty setting his feet.

-- Not as impressive: third-string quarterback Ingle Martin, who could not have looked more uncomfortable running the starting offense while Rodgers and Brett Favre sat out the 11-on-11 periods. At various points, Martin hit Donald Driver in the back with a pass; was intercepted by Nick Collins on a pass off James Jones' fingertips; hummed another pick directly into the chest of Brady Poppinga, who returned it into the end zone; airmailed P.J. Pope on a simple route out of the backfield; and rolled directly into a blitzing Nick Barnett.

-- Favre threw an interception of his own during a 7-on-7 passing drill, underthrowing Donald Driver badly enough that Charles Woodson camped under the ball for a second or so before grabbing it.

-- Fullback Corey White could be the undrafted rookie to watch. After two catches, the UAB alumnus showed an impressive burst for a guy who stands 6-foot-1 and 239 pounds. And with only Brandon Miree seemingly certain to be in the rotation, White might carve out a niche in the coming months.

-- Perhaps in an attack on his "fake tough" image, tight end Clark Harris has shaved his head and face. The seventh-round draft pick also did some long snapping during a brief special teams period.

-- Allen Barbre is an offensive lineman, but that didn't stop Favre from razzing the rookie after drawing him offsides during an offensive drill. Barbre saw the majority of his action at left guard, the same spot the college tackle played for much of the rookie minicamp.

-- The No. 30 jersey looks strange when it's inhabited by Arliss Beach.

-- Robert Ferguson (foot) switched jerseys, from No. 89 to No. 87, but was in a familiar place: watching much of practice by himself from an end zone.

-- Jason Spitz grimaced as he tried to run after tweaking his back early in practice. It seems unlikely the coaching staff will let him do anything else this weekend if he feels any discomfort Saturday morning.

-- P.J. Pope fumbled in a crowd during one of the 11-on-11 periods.

-- Patrick Dendy got his first interception of camp on a bad-idea floater from recent pickup Paul Thompson.

-- Five players caught balls during a punt drill: Woodson, Will Blackmon, Shaun Bodiford, Greg Jennings and Jones.

-- The accidental hit of the day came courest of safeties Marquand Manuel and Nick Collins, who sandwiched tight end Zac Alcorn on a seam route.

-- Quarterback Jerry Babb drew cheers from his teammates by juking end Jason Hunter out of his shoes after scrambling toward the right sideline.

-- Running back Brandon Jackson wasn't the only rookie draft pick missing from practice. Linebacker Desmond Bishop was absent because California is on the quarter system. McCarthy said Bishop should practice Saturday.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
posted by PackersNews.com at 5:21 PM | 0 Comments

packers11
05-18-2007, 07:57 PM
pictures :

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20070518&Kategori=PKRCAMP&Lopenr=705180812&Ref=PH

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
AJ hawk and Cory Williams look to be in GREAT shape. I wonder if I could find any pics of Morency, Colledge and Moll. McCarthy has really praised those guys.

Partial
05-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Aaron Rodgers looks so soft. He really would be a much better looking person if he added some muscle to his frame.

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I get a really good feeling about this team. The offseason comittment, the promising youth...I think it's goign to add up to exciting wins.

FritzDontBlitz
05-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Favre threw an interception of his own during a 7-on-7 passing drill, underthrowing Donald Driver badly enough that Charles Woodson camped under the ball for a second or so before grabbing it.

ok, we get it. brett favre throws interceptions. why is it even supposed to be news anymore? :beat:

The Leaper
05-18-2007, 09:44 PM

What the hell has he done in the last 2-3 years other than drop passes? Look at his stats. He's been one of the worst starting TEs in the league.

The Leaper
05-18-2007, 09:47 PM
I suspect it means they are telling Bubba he is not the anointed starter. If he wants to be the starter, he will have to earn it in training camp. Still, Bubba is the best blocker among the TE's, so he probably has the inside track.

I don't know.

Considering Thompson's lack of concern with the immediate needs of the offense, I would suspect Bubba could very well be the odd man out. Our TE is going to have to be able to get downfield and make some catches this year.

BallHawk
05-18-2007, 09:49 PM

What the hell has he done in the last 2-3 years other than drop passes? Look at his stats. He's been one of the worst starting TEs in the league.

Over 3 years he has 800 yards and 8 TDs. That isn't horrible, looking at what other teams have been working with. Bubba's a fierce worker and I believe that if he can catch (no pun intended) what ever is goofing him up, then he can become the Bubba of old.

The Leaper
05-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Bretsky,

I agree. We have plenty of cap space to absorb his cap hit. :D

The Leaper
05-18-2007, 09:52 PM

Over 3 years he has 800 yards and 8 TDs. That isn't horrible, looking at what other teams have been working with. Bubba's a fierce worker and I believe that if he can catch (no pun intended) what ever is goofing him up, then he can become the Bubba of old.

Come on.

He had 7 of those TDs and half that yardage 3 years ago. He's had ONE GOD ALMIGHTY BITCHING TOUCHDOWN in two years. He's probably had about 10 drops in the last two years.

He's a pathetic excuse for a TE in terms of receiving. You might as well put you or me out there.

Packnut
05-18-2007, 10:15 PM

Come on.

He had 7 of those TDs and half that yardage 3 years ago. He's had ONE GOD ALMIGHTY BITCHING TOUCHDOWN in two years. He's probably had about 10 drops in the last two years.

He's a pathetic excuse for a TE in terms of receiving. You might as well put you or me out there.

Bubba is good for blocking and that's about it. If we have to count on him this season to make catches, we're screwed........

Patler
05-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Come on.

Bubba Franks - 1 drop in 2005, 6 in 2006. He fumbled twice in 2006, his first since the one fumble he had his rookie year. Franks' problems with the ball were last year and last year only. It remains to be seen if it was an aberration, or a natural defense mechanism (reaction) to the injuries from being hit when he had the ball in 2005.

Sure his three year stats are down. He barely played in 2005 because of injuries, and he had a miserable year in 2006. He was the intended receiver on only 39 passes in 2005 because he didn't play much. He missed 6 games completely and was knocked out of a couple others. That too was odd. He had not missed a single game as a pro or in college before 2005.

For some reason, the Packers have quit using Franks in the red zone. Too much of the time he isn't even on the field, and in 2006 on those infrequent occassions when he was on the field he was kept in to block most of the time. At one time he was a TD machine for the Packers. Every defense knew it was coming, but couldn't stop it. The Packers have gotten away from the plays designed for Franks in the red zone. I would like to see them bring those plays back.

I like his approach:

Franks, who caught only 25 passes and had no touchdowns last season, said he went back to the offseason workout program of his first six NFL seasons after staying in Green Bay and taking part in the Packers' offseason workout program last year. Franks is one of about 20 players who attended the University of Miami and return there in the spring and summer to work out in a competitive atmosphere with their college strength coach.

"You go back to doing something that works when things go wrong," Franks said. "… This year, I'm on a mission. There's nothing that's going to get in my way."

gbpackfan
05-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Damn, one off year and some of you are ready to run him out of town. Give him a chance to bounce back, if he doesn't, then get out your pitch forks. He's not Robert Ferguson for Christ's sake!

Guiness
05-19-2007, 08:55 AM
I also hope Bubba can make it back. He had an injury (first significant one of his career, I believe) and then a bad year, stats wise, cause he was stuck helping out the O-line - which he did like a trooper with no complaining.

The only thing that worries me is people here that say he was really slow coming out of his cuts when he did go on a route. I hope that was something they read into things because of how bad he was playing.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Damn, one off year and some of you are ready to run him out of town. Give him a chance to bounce back, if he doesn't, then get out your pitch forks. He's not Robert Ferguson for Christ's sake!

My issue has more to do with his contract. He picked a bad time to have a bad year. That thing gets a little spendy in the latter years.

Patler
05-19-2007, 09:35 AM

My issue has more to do with his contract. He picked a bad time to have a bad year. That thing gets a little spendy in the latter years.

This could be Bubba's last season in GB. I believe 2008 is when it gets a bit costly, and becomes cheaper to release him than keep him.

Guiness
05-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Damn, that's some funny shit about Ingle tho'. With Rodgers and Favre out or at least very limited, he had a real chance to show he belongs. If he was really that bad after a year here, I'm betting he won't be around long. They'll take a flyer on someone else.

packers11
05-19-2007, 12:51 PM
more photos from friday....

http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/gallery.aspx?catid=567

Guiness
05-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Good photos - I like the one of Favre handing Thompson the ball - it's like 'there ya go, biatch!'

The title the Journal used was a little over the top though. Green Bay Packers Mandatory Minicamp - did they really have to put Mandatory in the title. Bit of beating a dead horse, I think.

woodbuck27
05-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Bretsky,

Yup !!

The Shadow
05-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Good photos - I like the one of Favre handing Thompson the ball - it's like 'there ya go, biatch!'

Or : Thompson could have ordered Favre to give him the ball, saying "I don't want to see silly interceptions this year."

woodbuck27
05-19-2007, 01:45 PM
pictures :

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20070518&Kategori=PKRCAMP&Lopenr=705180812&Ref=PH

Favre looks in great shape. :)

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Bretsky,

Yup !!

Never the same ?

He was not good before the hit; he's still not good.

But hell, give him five more years to prove himself :lol:

packers11
05-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Odds and ends
-- Rookie receiver David Clowney was the only player stripped during a gauntlet-style ball security drill. Clowney, a fifth-round draft pick who ran the 40 in 4.29 seconds indoors at his campus workout, also is working as a gunner with the punt coverage unit.

-- With top draft pick Justin Harrell sitting out contact drills again, Corey Williams and Colin Cole split time with the first team roughly evenly.

-- Rookie running back DeShawn Wynn (calf), one of the Packers' two seventh-round draft picks, said he will be ready to participate when organized team activities resume May 31.

posted by PackersNews.com at 12:25 PM | 0 Comments

Saturday's morning notes
Tight end Zac Alcorn sat out today's morning practice with a bruised right knee, the product of his collision with two teammates Friday afternoon.

That meant increased reps for rookie Clark Harris and Tory Humphrey. Donald Lee once again took the majority of reps with the first team, with Bubba Franks occasionally rotating in but playing primarily with the twos.

Guard Jason Spitz (back) and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamilia (thigh bruise), both injured Friday, did not practice and likely are done for the weekend.

Josh Bourke spent the majority of practice at left tackle in place of Chad Clifton, who sat out as a general precaution. Receiver Chris Francies watched most of practice with a wrap on his right hand.

Rookie linebacker Desmond Bishop, who missed Friday's practice because Cal-Berkeley still is in session, participated and dropped an interception during a team drill.

posted by PackersNews.com at 12:14 PM | 0 Comments

Guiness
05-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Or : Thompson could have ordered Favre to give him the ball, saying "I don't want to see silly interceptions this year."

The Shadow don't know nuttin'!

It wasn't TT, it was a rookie QB called Paul Thompson. A UFA, I assume.

http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/slideshow.aspx?PhotoID=7324&fileType=JPG&Source=Thumbnail&catid=567&PageNumber=0

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Holy Jesus, Pop looks like a monster! :shock:

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 02:02 PM
And dare I say Ferguson looks like he's in good shape? :?:

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 02:04 PM
And dare I say Ferguson looks like he's in good shape? :?:

He looks the same as he did the past four years; he always enter camp in great shape.

Then he breaks a nail.

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 02:06 PM
This is absolutely, positively, the last season I'm giving Fergy a chance. That's if he makes the team. I think it is possible he can be a 600 yards a year receiver, but do we have more promising talent in Martin, Holiday, Bodiford, etc.

I will be extremely pissed if Martin doesn't make the team. He has so much potential.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 02:13 PM
This is absolutely, positively, the last season I'm giving Fergy a chance. That's if he makes the team. I think it is possible he can be a 600 yards a year receiver, but do we have more promising talent in Martin, Holiday, Bodiford, etc.

I will be extremely pissed if Martin doesn't make the team. He has so much potential.

I remember many in here said that last year about the Fraud. I have a hard time believing the slow motion Snapper will keep him this year. Especially if they only keep 5.

I'd think the guarantees at WR on this roster are

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Jones

4. Clowney is highly probably

5- Martin, Hollyday, and the Fraud are left

And from what HW has been saying Carlton Brewster tore up NFL Europe

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I think it ends up being....

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Jones/Martin
4. Martin/Jones
5. Clowney

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 02:24 PM

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Jones/Martin
4. Martin/Jones
5. Clowney

You are probably right; Jones is guaranteed. Clowney would have to be huge bust (like Cory Rodgers) to not make the team.

So then it comes down to Martin and Hollyday. I kind of like both.

By week six somebody will go down injured and we use that spot for Robinson if he makes it back.

Had we laned Moss we'd pass on Clowney and that would be an incredibly talented group.

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 02:31 PM
If we land Moss, then I believe we don't address the WR position in the 3rd round, thus we don't Jones. I really, really like Jones. He reminds me a lot of Javon Walker (Athletically, not personality, thank God.)

I said this earlier in a different thread, but James Jones really comes across as a good a guy. He speaks very well and seems like a hard worker. I really think Jennings and Jones will be a great duo for years to come.

packers11
05-19-2007, 02:34 PM
This one's for the stats geeks
... or anyone in the mood to overanalyze quarterbacks in May.

Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers were a combined 0-for-5 in their first time through the 7-on-7 passing drill, their only significant action of the morning. Rodgers, who also was picked by Patrick Dendy, settled down on his second try and completed the pass of the day so far, finding a streaking James Jones just beyond double coverage down the right sideline.

Ingle Martin misfired on his first three passes -- including two simple tosses to Vernand Morency out of the backfield -- in the team and blitz periods. He was 4-for-4 in the last team period.

Paul Thompson took some reps with the second unit ahead of Jerry Babb, who continues to look comfortable only when he's on the move.

All told, here are the totals in the team, blitz and 7-on-7 periods:

-- Brett Favre 1-for-4
-- Aaron Rodgers 3-for-6
-- Jerry Babb 3-for-6
-- Ingle Martin 9-for-13
-- Paul Thompson 4-for-6

Also notable in those periods were: Will Blackmon handling most nickelback duties with the first team; Frank Walker and Dendy playing cornerback with the twos, with Rory Johnson, Tracy White and Spencer Havner at linebacker; and Travis Leffew briefly replacing Junius Coston at right guard with the first team after Coston false started during the second team period.

Practice No. 3 starts at 3 p.m. and runs until around 5. Refresh the blog for more tonight.

posted by PackersNews.com at 12:30 PM

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 02:38 PM
If we land Moss, then I believe we don't address the WR position in the 3rd round, thus we don't Jones. I really, really like Jones. He reminds me a lot of Javon Walker (Athletically, not personality, thank God.)

I said this earlier in a different thread, but James Jones really comes across as a good a guy. He speaks very well and seems like a hard worker. I really think Jennings and Jones will be a great duo for years to come.

We had already drafted Jones when the slow motion snapper went to bed thinking GB had worked out a deal for Moss.

I don't see the JW comparison; nowhere near the speed and not as explosive. He looks physically strong and impressive though. I've heard announcers say he reminds GB a bit of Sterling Sharpe body wise.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 02:47 PM

We had already drafted Jones when the slow motion snapper went to bed thinking GB had worked out a deal for Moss.

I don't see the JW comparison; nowhere near the speed and not as explosive. He looks physically strong and impressive though. I've heard announcers say he reminds GB a bit of Sterling Sharpe body wise.

Way to ruin a perfectly good conspiracy theory. :P

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 02:57 PM

I don't buy the "went to bed thinking we had Moss" theory. It's possible, but there's no way we can firmly believe that's how it went down.

I agree that Javon was more explosive, but Jones looks more agile and he has a strong frame. I could see him becoming a 1,000 yards a year receiver. I think Clowney can be effective in long routes, but I don't see him being more then a #3.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 03:54 PM

I don't buy the "went to bed thinking we had Moss" theory. It's possible, but there's no way we can firmly believe that's how it went down.

Well, that seems to be the Packers claim; as well as Bob Harlan's.

The Leaper
05-19-2007, 04:37 PM

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Jones/Martin
4. Martin/Jones
5. Clowney

I would agree...and I think you can almost write Martin in as the #3 with about 85% certainty. Jones may have solid physical talent, but he only had one good year in the WAC. He's not ready to be a #3 WR in the NFL yet.

The #3 spot is Martin's to lose IMO. He has to be the happiest guy that Thompson did little to upgrade the WR corp short term this offseason.

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I agree with Ballhawks as well. I woulnd't say it's 85% in Martins favor but he probably has the inside track. HE did some good things last year.

packers11
05-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Saturday, May 19, 2007
Woodson absent
Veteran cornerback Charles Woodson was excused from today's afternoon practice for what a team spokesman called "personal reasons."

It was unclear whether Woodson, who also plans to skip OTAs the next month, would be at the Packers' final minicamp practice Sunday morning.

The Packers' other starting cornerback, Al Harris, also sat out this afternoon's workout but was on the sideline. Patrick Dendy and Will Blackmon worked with the first team.

Chad Clifton, who sat out the morning practice, participated in all drills in the afternoon.

posted by PackersNews.com at 4:05 PM | 0 Comments

packers11
05-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Saturday, May 19, 2007
Afternoon wrap
Defensive end DeVon Hicks gets the game ball for today's afternoon practice.

An undrafted rookie from Northwest Mississippi, Hicks recovered a Paul Thompson fumble during the second period. Then, during the blitz period, Hicks drew roars from his teammates by snaring a Thompson pass at the line -- with one hand -- and fighting his way into the end zone.

Other odds and ends ...

-- Thompson and Jerry Babb again took turns running the second-team offense. Thompson had two interceptions and a fumble during team periods, while Babb ran into some trouble when his unit false started on two consecutive plays.

-- Bubba Franks took some initial reps with the first team after Donald Lee got almost all of them in two previous practices.

-- Spencer Havner, Aaron Rouse and others had cameos with the first-team defense as coaches substituted liberally during the late team periods.

-- Middle linebacker Nick Barnett appeared to jam a finger or his left wrist batting down an Ingle Martin pass, but he completed practice.

-- Tyrone Culver and Atari Bigby had interceptions during the team and 7-on-7 periods, respectively.

And here they are, your final worthless passing statistics from today's team, blitz and 7-on-7 periods:

-- Brett Favre 5-for-10
-- Aaron Rodgers 9-for-15, 2 INTs
-- Ingle Martin 16-for-28
-- Jerry Babb 5-for-12
-- Paul Thompson 7-for-15, 2 INTs

Favre and Rodgers participated only in 7-on-7, while only Martin participated in all three drills.

Last practice of minicamp begins at 10:15 a.m. Sunday.

posted by PackersNews.com at 4:14 PM | 0 Comments

retailguy
05-19-2007, 10:23 PM

1. Driver
2. Jennings
3. Jones/Martin
4. Martin/Jones
5. Clowney

I would agree...and I think you can almost write Martin in as the #3 with about 85% certainty. Jones may have solid physical talent, but he only had one good year in the WAC. He's not ready to be a #3 WR in the NFL yet.

The #3 spot is Martin's to lose IMO. He has to be the happiest guy that Thompson did little to upgrade the WR corp short term this offseason.

they'll keep 6 WR's this season, unless they all suck in the preseason. Too many guys with potential and TE position is a MESS.

My guess is Bodiford or Holliday get the last spot.

GBRulz
05-20-2007, 09:31 AM
I think it's BS that M3 has all but 4 Thursday practices in June closed to the public. I guess it's just the whole "secretive" philosophy that TT seems to employ. I can handle him not telling the media about every little move, but now to start shutting out the public from mini-camps and OTA's is crap.

A reporter from the PG wrote an article on this and I emailed him, asking him who's decision it was on having so many practices closed. This was his response to me....

The NFL says teams have to open 1/3 of their summer practices to the media. McCarthy took exception with some of the coverage of last year's OTAs, so he scaled back access. Because the Packers can't bar us from practices the public gets to see, the byproduct is fans losing out. And the fans get a double-whammy, because they can't even read about the practices now -- no one will be there to cover them. It's not ideal for any of us.
Tom Pelissero
Assistant sports editor
Green Bay Press-Gazette

packers11
05-20-2007, 12:19 PM
More photos : Saturday :

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=U0&Date=20070519&Category=PKRCAMP&ArtNo=705190803&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=1

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Photos can play tricks sometimes, but Morency looks stronger in that picture than I remember him. Also, picture #15, with Tauscher blocking Montgomery was kind of odd. Tauscher actually looks thinner than Montgomery. A trick of the camera I'm sure...

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Photos can play tricks sometimes, but Morency looks stronger in that picture than I remember him. Also, picture #15, with Tauscher blocking Montgomery was kind of odd. Tauscher actually looks thinner than Montgomery. A trick of the camera I'm sure...

I think that's just a depth perception thing. Montgomery is closer to the camera than Tauscher. Kind of like when you go fishing and there's a picture being taken. You stick the fish out, so it looks bigger.

Patler
05-20-2007, 01:05 PM
I think it's BS that M3 has all but 4 Thursday practices in June closed to the public. I guess it's just the whole "secretive" philosophy that TT seems to employ. I can handle him not telling the media about every little move, but now to start shutting out the public from mini-camps and OTA's is crap.

A reporter from the PG wrote an article on this and I emailed him, asking him who's decision it was on having so many practices closed. This was his response to me....

The NFL says teams have to open 1/3 of their summer practices to the media. McCarthy took exception with some of the coverage of last year's OTAs, so he scaled back access. Because the Packers can't bar us from practices the public gets to see, the byproduct is fans losing out. And the fans get a double-whammy, because they can't even read about the practices now -- no one will be there to cover them. It's not ideal for any of us.
Tom Pelissero
Assistant sports editor
Green Bay Press-Gazette

Generally the coaches make these decisions, which Pelissero seems to confirm. Why do you attribute it to "the whole 'secretive' philosophy that TT seems to employ"?

packers11
05-20-2007, 01:23 PM
QB Favre to attend 9 of 12 OTAs
Quarterback Brett Favre will attend nine of the Packers 12 organized team activities practices over the next month, Coach Mike McCarthy said after Sunday's minicamp.

Cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly were excused from Sunday's final minicamp practice. CB Al Harris also was not at the camp because of a back ailment, McCarthy said.
posted by PackersNews.com at 12:09 PM | 0 Comments

motife
05-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Coach McCarthy said Brady Poppinga is one of the most improved players on the defense.

Wants Tony Moll to stay at right tackle until the season starts. Thinks the linemen need to stay at one position during training camp to progress.

Has also seen a lot of improvement from Ruvell Martin. Very productive weekend, playing with confidence and "expects to win" attitude.

Donald Lee has shown him things in the vertical passing game, has worked extensively on pass catching, and it shows.

Praised Patrick Dendy.

James Jones, short area seperation, very physical, catches the ball away from his body very naturally.

Junius Coston suffered in the transition to the zone blocking system. Looks much more comfortable, and has really advanced in weight training.

Cam Cameron in Miami has been very high on David Martin, but guess what? He's injured all the time.

BallHawk
05-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Lines 1 and 3 are very good news.

FritzDontBlitz
05-20-2007, 03:20 PM
i see no one's givin wr carlyle holiday any love. don't count him out, he showed a lot of promise in limited duty last year.

BallHawk
05-20-2007, 03:37 PM
i see no one's givin wr carlyle holiday any love. don't count him out, he showed a lot of promise in limited duty last year.

Ruvell Martin has way more upside. He's more physical and definitely has a bigger ceiling. Martin can be a very solid #3, maybe even a #2. Carlyle can be no more then an average #3 or a good #4.

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't necessarily agree. I don't see a lot of upside on Ruvell. I think he is what he is. He's just too slow to ever be anything more than a subpackage receiver.

retailguy
05-20-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't necessarily agree. I don't see a lot of upside on Ruvell. I think he is what he is. He's just too slow to ever be anything more than a subpackage receiver.

The same thing could be said for a bunch of guys on this roster. In fact, the same type of stuff was said about Mark Tauscher, and Donald Driver when he came out of college.

The reality of it is this: "How badly does Ruvell Martin want it?" If he wants it as bad as Donald Driver wanted it, he'll be ok. If he doesn't, he'll be the next Charles Lee.

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Coach McCarthy said Brady Poppinga is one of the most improved players on the defense.

Encouraging. It would be great if Poppinga became a good LB. Our LB group would really stack up well against most in the league.

From Packers.com:

(How far has Hawk advanced and how good is that group as a whole?)
McCarthy: I think AJ Hawk is a primetime player in the National Football League, and I think that will be proven as he moves forward. He's very talented, a linebacker that can play in any scheme. I think that speaks for itself. You can see his comfort in our scheme, and he is definitely a run-and-hit explosive type player and does a good job in the passing game. I think Nick Barnett is a frontline player too and Brady Poppinga is probably the most improved of the whole group. And the young guys behind them - I think that group has a lot of competition in the backup area, but those first three I've been very impressed with.

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 04:00 PM

Brewster has fallen off the last few weeks. He had 2 catches for 68 yards this week, and he didn't do much last week. He's still leading the league in receptions and receiving yards, but not by much.

retailguy
05-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Brewster has fallen off the last few weeks. He had 2 catches for 68 yards this week, and he didn't do much last week. He's still leading the league in receptions and receiving yards, but not by much.

2 catches for 68 yards is falling off?

Hell that's a good season for Ferguson!. :wink:

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 04:25 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/e_mailbob/bilde.jpg

Check out Morency...He's not Ahman Green but it looks like he might have bridged the gap by about 50% physically.

I wonder if Green hooked him up with his HGH dealer??

Brando19
05-20-2007, 04:38 PM
He's got some big ass arms...not as big as Ahman's, but they may be able to pop some heads.

motife
05-20-2007, 04:41 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/e_mailbob/bilde.jpg

Check out Morency...He's not Ahman Green but it looks like he might have bridged the gap by about 50% physically.

I wonder if Green hooked him up with his HGH dealer??

Morency said that whevever he's played, he's averaged close to 4.5 per carry regardless of his number of carries. That he averaged that at Oklahoma State when he played with Tatum Bell (now with Detroit, just traded from Denver this year.)

Morency was drafted early in the 3rd round by Houston, 73rd overall.

If the mojo kicks in, it better be this year. He's 27 already.

His biggest challenge is overcoming his tendency to injury.

(HGH is very expensive, can only be taken by injection, and is next to impossible to trace, since it naturally occurs in the blood. I know because I was just consided for such (anti-aging) therapy, but they said my HGH was naturally high already.)

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Count me as one who believes Carlyle Holiday has a good shot to overtake Ruvell Martin for the #3 spot.

Holiday is very big and physical at 6'2'' and 220 pounds. I searched for a long time this morning to find a 40 time on him as an indication of his athleticism, and although I did find multiple sources, they were all pretty dated and none were very reliable. There were no combine or pro-day workout reports that I could find. In any case the sources I found stated as fast as 4.4: (see http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/maxcol02.htm); to "4.4's" (see http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_05-02-18.htm scroll about 2/3 down the page); to 4.55 estimated (see http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/College+Football/College+Football+Extras/2004/ppnd.htm scroll about halfway down the page). In any case, these numbers---if in the right ballpark--indicate that Holiday is plenty fast enough to be more than just a camp body. He would be about as fast as Jennings or James Jones.

From what I did find on him, Holiday started at quarterback for at least a couple of seasons at Notre Dame before losing the job to Brady Quinn and converting to WR in his senior season. He was lauded for his athleticism, being more effective as a "running quarterback" for an option-style attack as opposed to a pocket thrower in a pro-style offense.

Holiday has been behind the curve a bit at WR given that he hasn't played the position as long as most of his competition, but it's a transition that can be made effectively (see Hines Ward), and his experience as a quarterback might help him be a more aware and effective player. I'm pulling for him.

Martin is a great story and all, but I put him in the same category as Noah Herron. He's a try-hard guy who doesn't have enough athleticism to be anything better than a #3 guy. I find it telling that Martin failed to stick with the receiver-poor Chargers and spent some time out of football, whereas Holiday actually made the team with receiver-rich Arizona for a while, and was later stashed on the practice squad where we found him.

I'd be very interested to hear ND72's and Patler's opinions of Holiday, considering that they are longtime observers of N.D. football.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Count me as one who believes Carlyle Holiday has a good shot to overtake Ruvell Martin for the #3 spot.

Holiday is very big and physical at 6'2'' and 220 pounds. I searched for a long time this morning to find a 40 time on him as an indication of his athleticism, and although I did find multiple sources, they were all pretty dated and none were very reliable. There were no combine or pro-day workout reports that I could find. In any case the sources I found stated as fast as 4.4: (see http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/maxcol02.htm); to "4.4's" (see http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_05-02-18.htm scroll about 2/3 down the page); to 4.55 estimated (see http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/College+Football/College+Football+Extras/2004/ppnd.htm scroll about halfway down the page). In any case, these numbers---if in the right ballpark--indicate that Holiday is plenty fast enough to be more than just a camp body. He would be about as fast as Jennings or James Jones.

From what I did find on him, Holiday started at quarterback for at least a couple of seasons at Notre Dame before losing the job to Brady Quinn and converting to WR in his senior season. He was lauded for his athleticism, being more effective as a "running quarterback" for an option-style attack as opposed to a pocket thrower in a pro-style offense.

Holiday has been behind the curve a bit at WR given that he hasn't played the position as long as most of his competition, but it's a transition that can be made effectively (see Hines Ward), and his experience as a quarterback might help him be a more aware and effective player. I'm pulling for him.

Martin is a great story and all, but I put him in the same category as Noah Herron. He's a try-hard guy who doesn't have enough athleticism to be anything better than a #3 guy. I find it telling that Martin failed to stick with the receiver-poor Chargers, whereas Holiday actually made the team with receiver-rich Arizona for a while, and was later stashed on the practice squad.

I'd be very interested to hear ND72's and Patler's opinions of Holiday, considering that they are longtime observers of N.D. football.

Completely agree; I think I see more upside with Hollyday than Martin.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 06:45 PM

2 catches for 68 yards is falling off?

Hell that's a good season for Ferguson!. :wink:

:laugh:

packers11
05-20-2007, 09:05 PM
sunday photos : http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20070520&Kategori=PKRCAMP&Lopenr=705200809&Ref=PH

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
sunday photos : http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20070520&Kategori=PKRCAMP&Lopenr=705200809&Ref=PH

Thanks! :)

packrulz
05-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Posted May 21, 2007

The Packers by position: Critical corner job up for grabs

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

The one serious need the Green Bay Packers didn't address in last month's NFL draft was at cornerback, where they're looking to upgrade their nickel and dime positions.

Considering NFL defenses are in nickel or dime defenses for about half the snaps of most games, the No. 3 cornerback is a critical, near-starter's role. The Packers ranked No. 17 in the league in pass defense last season and need a young cornerback or two who not only will provide quality for the nickel and dime roles, but also possibly take over for Al Harris and Charles Woodson in the starting lineup a couple years down the road.

Last year, Patrick Dendy ended up with the nickel job by default after Ahmad Carroll bombed. This year, the Packers' best chance for an upgrade is second-year pro Will Blackmon, who missed all but four games last season because of foot and rib injuries. He worked as the nickel back with the No. 1 defense at minicamp.

Dendy worked behind him, and the Packers also signed former New York Giants backup Frank Walker as a free agent this offseason to vie for the No. 3 job. Second-year pro Jarrett Bush also has an outside shot.

The important job is wide open and a possible liability if players don't emerge.

"The young guys, there's excellent competition there," coach Mike McCarthy said at the conclusion of minicamp Sunday. "You just go all the way down the line. I'm very happy with the progress (Jarrett) Bush has made, Blackmon. I think Patrick Dendy has had an excellent weekend."

Below is a position-by-position look at the Packers' roster after the mandatory minicamp. Though they could add a couple of players before training camp, the Packers have made the bulk of their offseason personnel moves, and the coaching and scouting staffs got their first look at the team as a whole in this minicamp.

Defensive backs

Blackmon, who played both receiver and cornerback at Boston College, is the most physically gifted of the backup cornerbacks, but wasn't healthy enough last year to show whether he has the mental makeup for the position. He and Dendy worked with the No. 1 defense with Woodson and Harris not practicing Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

The Packers think Dendy has benefited from their offseason program as much as anyone in the secondary. Walker, a fifth-year pro, showed ability to break on the ball and knocked down a couple of passes Sunday, but is just getting familiar with the defense.

At safety, Marquand Manuel is moving a little better than last year — a badly pulled groin sidelined him all last offseason. However, the team has to hope one of its young prospects is good enough to beat him out for the starting job opposite Nick Collins.

A darkhorse could be second-year pro Atari Bigby, who showed good speed and range in coverage during minicamp. He's also a hard hitter who spent nine games on the practice squad last year, then was a core special-teams player until a thumb injury sidelined him.

The Packers drafted Aaron Rouse in the third round this year as immediate competition for Manuel. Rouse didn't jump out at minicamp, but is a big presence (6-foot-4, 223 pounds) and did nothing to suggest he won't be in the running. Third-year pro Marviel Underwood, another strong candidate, is coming back from knee-reconstruction surgery and won't practice until minicamp.

Linebackers

A.J. Hawk is a likely standout on defense in his second season — he made one of the best defensive plays in minicamp on a deep drop and interception of a Brett Favre pass in a red-zone drill. He and middle linebacker Nick Barnett are the heart of the defense.

Starting strong-side linebacker Brady Poppinga has a little better lateral movement almost 1½ years removed from knee-reconstruction surgery. Abdul Hodge, a third-round pick last year, didn't practice because he's recovering from a knee injury. He faces an uphill battle to play well enough at middle linebacker to force a linebacker shuffle and bounce Poppinga from the starting lineup.

Undrafted rookie Rory Johnson has speed and a shot at making the final roster, as does first-year pro Spencer Havner, who spent last season on the practice squad and made noticeable gains in the offseason workout program.

Defensive line

First-round pick Justin Harrell didn't participate in minicamp because he's recovering from a torn biceps that required surgery last year. The Packers say they are just being cautious with his return. Regardless, he's a decent bet to beat out Corey Williams for a starting defensive tackle job.

Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett appeared overweight — he said he was in the 340-pound range, but he expects to play at around 320 this season after playing at about 325 in 2006.

With the return of four starters (Pickett, Cullen Jenkins, Aaron Kampman and Williams), plus ends Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Michael Montgomery and tackles Colin Cole and Johnny Jolly, it will be difficult for any newcomers aside from Harrell to win a roster spot. Undrafted rookie Larry Birdine (6-4, 265) of Oklahoma is one of those long shots, but showed some outside pass-rush ability in one-on-one drills.

Receivers

The search is on for a quality No. 3 receiver behind starters Donald Driver and Greg Jennings.

Third-round pick James Jones worked in that role in this minicamp, and though he dropped two balls in 11-on-11 drills Saturday, showed the ability to extend his hands and snatch all catches rather than letting the ball come to him. He is more polished than fifth-round pick David Clowney. The question for Jones is whether he's quick enough off the line and out of breaks to get open consistently.

Robert Ferguson didn't practice because he isn't recovered from last season's mid-foot injury and could face a tough battle to make the roster in his seventh season. But the Packers aren't counting him out for the No. 3 job because he's worked hard this offseason — his weight is up to 220 pounds — and is playing for his career.

Some in the organization like Ruvell Martin as the No. 3 receiver because of his size (6-4), hands and strength. He made one particularly difficult over-the-shoulder catch on a deep ball along the sidelines in minicamp, but lacks explosion and quickness.

If Shaun Bodiford wins a roster spot as the punt returner, and with Driver and Jennings as starters, there could be only three roster spots available for Jones, Clowney, Ferguson, Martin and Carlyle Holiday. Holiday, a converted college quarterback, is in the running because of his size (6-2, 217) and strength going over the middle.

Tight ends

The Packers sent Bubba Franks a strong message by working Donald Lee and sometimes Tory Humphrey with the No. 1 offense. No tight end distinguished himself, though — Zac Alcorn missed all but one practice because of a bruised knee and seventh-round pick Clark Harris had a couple of bad drops. Lee made at least one catch downfield in a blitz period. It looks like he and perhaps Humphrey will get long looks as possible starters ahead of Franks, who had a bad year in '06 and doesn't run well.

Offensive line

Second-year pros Daryn Colledge (left guard) and Tony Moll (right tackle) said they made substantial strength gains this offseason. Moll most likely will work as a backup at both tackles in training camp. Jason Spitz, the starting right guard and a second-year pro, injured his calf Friday and didn't practice thereafter.

Fourth-round pick Allen Barbre should get time to develop as a left guard and tackle — he'll work mainly at guard this offseason — but fits the mold of a mobile linemen for the zone-blocking scheme.

"I like his quickness, I like his athleticism," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. "He seems like a very good prospect."

Right tackle Kevin Barry, who didn't practice while recovering from quadriceps-tendon surgery from last offseason, could have a tough time making the roster if players such as Junius Coston and tackle Josh Bourke make major gains. Though Coston is a third-year pro, he's only 23 and is younger than all three linemen drafted last year.

Running backs

The Packers haven't seen second-round pick Brandon Jackson in a full-team setting, because as an invitee to an NFL and players association event, he was prohibited from participating in minicamp. Starter Vernand Morency added about 10 pounds of lean muscle mass from last season, to 220 pounds, though he might have trouble holding most of that weight through training camp.

Undrafted rookie Corey White might have a shot at making the team as a backup halfback-fullback. At 239 pounds, he's big and appeared to catch the ball with ease on a couple of downfield throws. He took snaps at halfback on Sunday.

Third-year pro Brandon Miree caught the ball well at fullback and is the likely starter.

Quarterback

Backup Aaron Rodgers didn't take part in team drills, but looked sharp for the most part in 7-on-7 drills, where he demonstrated a quick delivery and consistently put zip on the ball. With Brett Favre also held out of team drills, Ingle Martin took most of the snaps with the No. 1 offense. He had a bad practice Friday, but was better, though inconsistent, with reads and accuracy the rest of the weekend. He made two sharp throws on hot reads to Lee and Driver during blitz drills Sunday.

Undrafted rookie Jerry Babb was better than at rookie camp but appeared to be swimming. Paul Thompson, an undrafted rookie from Oklahoma, showed athleticism but has an elongated throwing delivery.

Special teams

The Packers didn't do any placekicking or punting in minicamp, so the showdown at kicker between returnee Dave Rayner and sixth-round draft pick Mason Crosby probably won't heat up until training camp.

BallHawk
05-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks for posting that, Rulz. All of it is encouraging infromation except the Ryan Pickett part. The Packers cannot afford him to turn into another Cletius Hunt.

I really think Brandon Miree can be a solid starting FB. I also think Ruvell Martin will get the #3 WR. Lastly, I think Rouse will win the opposite starting safety job.

swede
05-21-2007, 07:40 AM
In looking at some of the photos I was impressed with Colledge's new pipes. He was such a rangy-looking kid I wasn't sure he would get bigger.

There was a pic of Harrel that shows a decent lower body build. If he can add strength and bulk to that upper body he might get to 330 lbs of muscle. Harrel's build looks a lot like Gilbert's did back in college when the "Gravedigger" weighed a petite sub-300.

wist43
05-21-2007, 07:41 AM
It's too bad Underwood is slow to recover... I had him penciled in as the starter at safety. He's definitely losing ground to the other guys.

BallHawk
05-21-2007, 07:42 AM
It's too bad Underwood is slow to recover... I had him penciled in as the starter at safety. He's definitely losing ground to the other guys.

I agree. I really like the guy, but he's falling behind. I'd like to see what Culver can do.

Joemailman
05-21-2007, 07:42 AM
I think Pickett had weight problems at St. Louis, but didn't have a problem last year. I won't be concerned unless he shows up at training camp overweight. I too would expect Martin to win the #3 WR position initially, but look for Jones to assert himself more as the season goes on. Miree will likely be the starting FB, but needs to show he can catch the ball consistently to keep the job.

BallHawk
05-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Harrel's build looks a lot like Gilbert's did back in college when the "Gravedigger" weighed a petite sub-300.

Petite and Gilbert Brown; two subjects I thought I would never hear mentioned in one sentence together.

Fritz
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
What happened to the sixth-round linebacker dude from Boise that they drafted to play FB? No mention of him, yet they mentioned some other free agent rook.

Jerry Babbs will be selling insurance in his hometown in about a month.

I'm in with the Holliday over Martin group. I see James Jones emerging next year.

I hope Poppinga has worked on his pass coverage skills.

Robert Ferguson is like a tulip. He blooms every spring, then quickly fades and withers.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2007, 10:37 AM
What happened to the sixth-round linebacker dude from Boise that they drafted to play FB? No mention of him, yet they mentioned some other free agent rook.

Hall was drafted mainly as a special teams ace, and you can't judge those guys with no pads on. I think they hope he is that, but can also play FB well enough not to waste a roster spot on a special teams guy only.

packrulz
05-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for posting that, Rulz. All of it is encouraging infromation except the Ryan Pickett part. The Packers cannot afford him to turn into another Cletius Hunt.

I really think Brandon Miree can be a solid starting FB. I also think Ruvell Martin will get the #3 WR. Lastly, I think Rouse will win the opposite starting safety job.

Yea, I wasn't too happy to read that Pickett was overweight, but last year he kept his weight in check. I think his effort has been good though, I think he can lose 15-20lbs by opening day, he's not lazy like Hunt, and he did show up. Good turnout this year. Not much info on who's going to return punts and kicks, I wonder why not? The special teams sucked last year.

"Special teams

The Packers didn't do any placekicking or punting in minicamp, so the showdown at kicker between returnee Dave Rayner and sixth-round draft pick Mason Crosby probably won't heat up until training camp."

swede
05-21-2007, 12:24 PM
The Packers think Dendy has benefited from their offseason program as much as anyone in the secondary.

http://www.blackrefer.com/roybig.jpg

Wow!

TopHat
05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/5/21/21345/2590

Minicamp Roundup

There are a ton of articles about minicamp posted at jsonline.com. First is about the starting defensive tackle battle between DTs Corey Williams and 1st round pick Justin Harrell. It's good to read that Williams is motivated to beat out Harrell for the starting spot opposite DT Ryan Pickett, but it really doesn't matter. It's a matter of pride for whichever is named the starter, but all three tackles will probably receive about the same amount of playing time. Even if Williams is not named the starter, he might still play more than Pickett or Harrell because he has the size to play on run downs and is the best pass rusher of the three.
It might be an interesting changing of the guard that TE Donald Lee is starting ahead of TE Bubba Franks so far, but Lee only managed 10 catches in 2006 and isn't someone to get excited about. Lee was really promising in 2005 but he was invisible for most of 2006. It would be hard to believe he has somehow come out of nowhere since last season to beat out Franks.
It is amazing that WR Robert Ferguson is still on the roster. Mike Sherman signed Ferguson to a relatively cheap contract a couple years ago and it hasn't been necessary to release him since the Packers have had a good amount of salary cap room. On any team with any salary cap issues, Ferguson would have been long gone. The article says he has put on weight and it's likely he has lost some speed with the extra size. He has rarely shown any ability to play well in between the hash marks, so if he loses his deep speed along the sideline, then he's got nothing left. He needs to stay healthy, but he also needs to show some promise, which he hasn't shown in the last couple of seasons.
CB Will Blackmon had a great offseason. That's good news, but it doesn't really say anything. Right now its CBs Al Harris and Charles Woodson as the starters, CB Patrick Dendy in as the nickel cornerback [SERIOUSLY!], and that's pretty good. At the end of the season S Tyrone Culver came in as the sixth defensive back, but Blackmon and free agent CB Frank Walker probably have a good chance to play instead. Blackmon was a 4th round pick in 2006 so there is some expectation that he will earn some playing time in his 2nd NFL season or he might become in danger of losing his spot on the roster. He shouldn't be a big part of the defense in 2007, but he is probably the next best option if any of the top 3 cornerbacks are hurt.
And RB Vernand Morency is setting the pace! The article says Morency received slightly more time than RBs P.J. Pope and Noah Herron who are the only other running backs that aren't hurt or stuck on a promotional gig. Morency should be the number one back at this point, but this minicamp would have been a lot more interesting if 2nd round pick RB Brandon Jackson hadn't been doing endorsements in L.A. and was actually battling Morency for snaps. Unless Jackson really dazzles in the preseason, it would be a shock if Morency lost the starting job. It might be similar to the situation in Indianapolis last season, when RB Dominic Rhodes started most of the season and rookie RB Joseph Addai slowly picked away at Rhodes' playing time until Addai eventually played more than Rhodes. Morency might begin the season as the starting RB, but it seems likely that Jackson will eventually take the job away from him.

Joemailman
05-21-2007, 03:02 PM

Hall was drafted mainly as a special teams ace, and you can't judge those guys with no pads on. I think they hope he is that, but can also play FB well enough not to waste a roster spot on a special teams guy only.

I would expect Hall to be a bit behind at this point considering he's making a major position shift. If he shows he can catch the ball out of the backfield, and stop a blitzing LB, he'll be fine.

packrulz
05-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the article TopHat. Fergy has gained weight but from what I've read it's in muscle, not fat, and I don't think it will slow him down that much. I get the impression the coaching staff thinks it's good, and if Fergy can stay healthy for a whole season I think he will suprise some fans. I think he could take the 3rd WR spot and possibly return punts, prople are down on him but that's because he plays hurt and they don't realize that.

TopHat
05-21-2007, 03:30 PM
NOTE: COMPARE TO PACKERSNEWS.COM AND ROUNDUP ARTICLES.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/index.php?ntid=135393

Packers: Minicamp puts team in prime position

After a week of drama surrounding quarterback Brett Favre, an offseason of inaction in the free agent market and a draft that was widely panned by so-called experts and fans, the Green Bay Packers got exactly what they needed during their full-squad mandatory minicamp, which ended Sunday. Actual football. While the four practices inside the Don Hutson Center were hardly a predictor of how they'll fare in coach Mike McCarthy's second year, the three-day camp did provide a jumping-off point for the 2007 season, as the coaches reviewed the ups and downs of last year's 8-8 finish, took those lessons to the practice field and installed the first two of the nine-part offensive and defensive playbooks.
And although it did mark the only time the full squad will be together until training camp opens in late July, McCarthy cautioned no lasting decisions were to be made from what went on. "No jobs were won or lost this weekend. Opportunity is abundant throughout our football team, and that'll all be answered in time," McCarthy said Sunday afternoon, following the final practice. "These sessions are very important - if they weren't, we wouldn't have them - but we're in the learning phase, we're in the phase where we're just trying to put things together. What really counts is when we put the pads on in training camp."
Here's a position-by-position look at the Packers coming out of their only mandatory offseason session and heading into their voluntary organized team activity practices, which kick off May 31:
Quarterback. Favre and backup Aaron Rodgers were held out of 11-on-11 sessions throughout the camp, giving third-stringer Ingle Martin most of the snaps in team periods. While Martin was inconsistent, he did have some encouraging moments, and undrafted rookie free agents Jerry Babb and Paul Thompson will have to come a long, long way during the OTAs to challenge Martin for the No. 3 job in training camp. McCarthy said Favre will take part in nine of the 12 OTA practices, while Rodgers said he should be cleared for team drills after the first week of OTAs. Rodgers said the OTAs and training camp are another opportunity for him to show his younger teammates he is capable of taking over when Favre walks away. "Brett's looking good. He's going to be in great shape by the time the season rolls around," Rodgers said. "I've always had confidence in myself, and I think this team is starting to have confidence in me. It's just a matter of being consistent - every day, every practice - and showing these guys that we're going to be in good hands if I get to be the starter."
Running back. Perhaps the most important competition on the roster following the free agent departure of starter Ahman Green, the halfback job is clearly Vernand Morency's to lose, if only because three of the top competitors - draft picks Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, and 2006 training camp surprise Arliss Beach - weren't involved. Jackson missed the camp because of a scheduling conflict with an NFL sponsorship event, while Wynn suffered a calf strain during the rookie orientation camp May 4 to 6 and Beach, who missed all of last season with a right ankle injury, was out with turf toe in his left foot. Morency worked with the No. 1 offense ahead of Noah Herron and P.J. Pope, but Morency's challenge during camp will be to prove he can be a workhorse back. If he can't carry the load, McCarthy has said he'll take the halfback-by-committee approach. Herron still looks like the best third-down back. "I don't know enough about 'Mo' to sit here and tell you he can't carry the ball 20 times a game," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "In the NFL, there's quite a few examples of two running backs getting a good bit of time of sharing the ball. We'll just have to see how it plays out."
At fullback, Brandon Miree worked with the No. 1s following the offseason release of veteran William Henderson, while rookies Corey White, Ryan Powdrell and Korey Hall were behind Miree. White also took snaps at halfback.
Wide receiver. For as much talk there was this offseason about the receiver the Packers don't have - now-New England Patriot Randy Moss - there'll be plenty of competition at the position come training camp. While two-time Pro Bowl receiver Donald Driver and a now-healthy Greg Jennings will be the starters, the battle for the three or four roster spots behind them figures to be fierce. Holdovers Ruvell Martin, Chris Francies, Calvin Russell and Carlyle Holiday will compete with Robert Ferguson and Shaun Bodiford, both of whom are coming off season-ending injuries, as well as rookie draft picks James Jones (third round) and David Clowney (fifth round). "There's a lot of talent at every (receiver) position," Rodgers said. "I think we've got the weapons we need. I think we're going to be pretty formidable on offense." Jennings, who caught 21 passes for 378 yards and three TDs in the first six games as a rookie but 24 passes for 254 yards and no TDs the rest of the year, clearly has regained his burst. "Man, I do feel good. I feel like I'm back," Jennings said. "I'm not concerned with the ankle, I'm not thinking about anything, I'm just out there being the old me. That definitely feels good." •
Tight end. The position is wide open, as former starter Bubba Franks must re-earn his spot after a horrendous 2006 season. Donald Lee, who caught 10 passes for 150 yards last year, worked ahead of Franks with the first team throughout the camp. Behind them, holdovers Tory Humphrey and Zac Alcorn will compete with rookie seventh-round pick Clark Harris for the No. 3 job, although if the team deems Franks expendable by the end of training camp, one of these three would have to take on a major role. Alcorn missed the last two days with a bruised knee. "We are adjusting some things as we move forward with the tight end position, and I think we have excellent competition," McCarthy said. "But Bubba Franks is a veteran football player, and we're expecting him to contribute to our football team."
Offensive line. Starting right guard Jason Spitz strained his back early in the first practice so Junius Coston filled in with the front five, lining up with left tackle Chad Clifton, left guard Daryn Colledge, center Scott Wells and right tackle Mark Tauscher. McCarthy said the coaches want their young linemen to settle into one position, which is why Tony Moll worked as the No. 2 right tackle behind Tauscher rather than moving into right guard, where he started five games last year. Kevin Barry, who suffered a ruptured quadriceps tendon almost exactly a year ago in minicamp, was withheld from the camp but said he hopes to take part in the OTAs. Barry said the coaches plan to work him at right guard and right tackle. Rookie fourth-round pick Allen Barbre, who played left tackle in college, spent the camp at left guard behind Colledge. When Clifton missed the Saturday morning practice, Josh Bourke and Orrin Thompson filled in. "When we first got together in February (2006), there was a lot of holes on that depth chart. There was nobody there," McCarthy said of the line. "I think we have a very, very bright future starting this year with the offensive line."
Defensive line. Defensive tackle Corey Williams admitted Sunday he was more than a little surprised when the team took fellow DT Justin Harrell with the 16th overall pick in last month's draft. But Williams, who started 11 games at that spot last year alongside Ryan Pickett and had a career-high seven sacks, remains an ascending player and worked with the No. 1 unit for most of camp. Harrell was held out of all 11-on-11 work while he is in the final stages of rehabbing the ruptured biceps tendon that cut short his senior year at Tennessee. Harrell said he thought he was going to be "full go" but he was limited to drill work and hitting the tackling bags. "They drafted me No. 1, and I want to come in here and prove myself to the guys. And you can't do that when you're not participating all the way," Harrell said. "I'm just following doctor's orders. When they release me, I'm going to go out and try my best." Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman probably won't practice until training camp after an April knee scope, while demoted end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila suffered a bruised thigh Friday and sat out the rest of the camp. Johnny Jolly, a 2006 sixth-round pick in the mix inside, missed Sunday's practice because of what McCarthy termed a "personal emergency."
Linebackers. While the team has plenty of question marks, this isn't one of them. The starting threesome of Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga is the most solidified of any position on the roster, with the only competition as of now being for backup spots. "I think A.J. Hawk is a prime-time player in the National Football League. I think that'll be proven as he moves forward," McCarthy said after Hawk picked off a Favre pass down the middle during 7-on-7 Sunday. "You can see his comfort in our scheme. I think Nick Barnett is a frontline player, too, and Brady Poppinga may be the most improved of the whole (defensive) group. "That group has a lot of competition in the backup area, but those first three I've been very impressed with."
Defensive backs. With starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson missing the final two practices - Harris after feeling back tightness Saturday morning; Woodson after being excused by McCarthy to attend a Saturday night "event" - Patrick Dendy and Will Blackmon worked with the first team. Blackmon is coming off a rookie season derailed by foot and rib injuries but figures to be prominent in the battle for the nickel and dime cornerback spots, along with Dendy, Jarrett Bush, Tramon Williams and Frank Walker, the team's only free agent signing. "I am very happy with the progress Bush has made, (as well as) Blackmon. And Patrick Dendy has had an excellent weekend," McCarthy said. "There's lot of competition."At safety, veteran Marquand Manuel remains a starter despite a disappointing first season in Green Bay. Asked to assess his play last season and whether he expects to keep his starting job, Manuel repeatedly replied, "Ask the coaches, man. Ask the coaches."
Special teams. Kicker Dave Rayner and punter Jon Ryan expected the team to bring in competition, and they got it - Rayner in sixth-round pick Mason Crosby, and Ryan in free agent David Lonie.The return game is wide open as Morency (kickoffs) and Woodson (punts) could be replaced by non-starters such as Bodiford, Blackmon, Jones and others."It's competition," special teams coordinator Mike Stock said. "I don't ever say it's anybody's job to lose. They'll compete."

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the article TopHat. Fergy has gained weight but from what I've read it's in muscle, not fat, and I don't think it will slow him down that much. I get the impression the coaching staff thinks it's good, and if Fergy can stay healthy for a whole season I think he will suprise some fans. I think he could take the 3rd WR spot and possibly return punts, prople are down on him but that's because he plays hurt and they don't realize that.

This guy always shows up looking good but it's the same thing year after year after year after year after year(I think I'm short one year, but you get the jist.

People are down on him for two reasons

1. He doesn't produce
2. He's always hurt

If he looks good in camp I hope he gets traded for an Egg McMuffin. Get Ted some nutrition to call up a free agent :lol:

retailguy
05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
If he looks good in camp I hope he gets traded for an Egg McMuffin. Get Ted some nutrition to call up a free agent :lol:

If this happens, I might have to reexamine my opinion of Trader Ted wanting to win in 2007. That'd be the best trade deal yet in 2007! :P :x

BallHawk
05-21-2007, 09:24 PM
[If he looks good in camp I hope he gets traded for an Egg McMuffin. Get Ted some nutrition to call up a free agent :lol:

Hypothetically, if Ted traded Ferguson for a pizza, does the Pizza delivery man count as a free agent? Ted would be paying him, even though it'd be a small tip. Add the fact he'd be bringing somebody outside of the Packer Organization into Lambeau....

Maybe, just maybe, then your sig would disappear.

gureski
05-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Good! Drop his ass to the practice squad until he starts catching the damn ball!

I started to laugh when I read this because things are so bad for Bubba that he couldn't make the practice squad. Unless they changed the rules, the practice squad is for players with something like 2 to 3 years or less of experience. Therefore, Bubba couldn't even get a spot on the practice squad! That's funny.

woodbuck27
05-22-2007, 01:20 PM

I'm in his corner as well. We don't have alot more going for us.

Sadly I've noted that he's invisable to some here. :)

GO PACKERS !!

Bretsky
05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
[If he looks good in camp I hope he gets traded for an Egg McMuffin. Get Ted some nutrition to call up a free agent :lol:

Hypothetically, if Ted traded Ferguson for a pizza, does the Pizza delivery man count as a free agent? Ted would be paying him, even though it'd be a small tip. Add the fact he'd be bringing somebody outside of the Packer Organization into Lambeau....

Maybe, just maybe, then your sig would disappear.

:lol:

IS THE PIZZA GUY MY BEST SHOT ? I SAY YES

I"M DAM SICK OF THIS SIGNATURE