PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Hawk, Greg Jennings, Justin Harrell

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
When was the last time that we had young guys like this that we can acctually say "They'll probably be really good and they have a chance to be special"?

I think Hawk played about equal to Barnett overall but he showed signs of being a tougher, more impactfull player. Hawk playing Better than a pretty good LB in his prime side by side says pretty big things in my opinion. I think there is a chance that he comes in next year and is a legit superstud playmaker. If that happens we're due for a nice increase in our win total.

Jennings was on pace for 1000 yards before his unusual contorted injury. The way that injury happened was sort of fluky in my opinion. Anyway, he showed promise to be another Donald Driver. It would not suprise me if we had 2 borderline probowl WR's next season. 1. Driver 2. Jennings

Harrell was considered the 2nd best DL by the scouts who Bob McGinn interviewed and that was coming off a season where he only played 3 games. Some of those scouts said they liked him better than Amobi Okoye, a top 10 pick. He is regarded as a mamouth player who plays whistle to whistle and never takes a play off. Dylan Tomlinson on 107.5 said he saw him in person and he is a monster of a DT. Forget about all of his physical skills, his coaches consider him a leader and one of the hardest workers. He got himself in shape and stayed in shape after being out after week 3. Some guys can't stay in shape after they plaeyd the full season. This kid has a chance to be a superstud and the top ntoch work ethic that you rarely find in 300 pounders to go with it.

I don't think we've prospects with as much likelyhood to be dominate as these 3 in a long time. Jennings and Hawk have already shown they belong in the NFL while Harrel is hte most unproven. That said, I think we have 3 guys who could be true NFL difference makers and with that in mind, I'm VERY excited for this season to kick off. Who did we add? How did we get better? Look at the roster. We have a roster who has a good chance to take a huge step and these 3 are the likely leaders of the next generation pack.

esoxx
05-18-2007, 07:09 PM
At first I thought this thread title was just a summary of your screen names. :lol:

I do agree there is some nice young talent on the team. Actually, speaking of screen names, I do think Nick Collins is another player you can put in that "chance to be dominant" category. He seemed to figure things out towards the end of last year. His third season should be his time to shine and when most players really take a step up.

BallHawk
05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
At first I thought this thread title was just a summary of your screen names. :lol:

I do agree there is some nice young talent on the team. Actually, speaking of screen names, I do think Nick Collins is another player you can put in that "chance to be dominant" category. He seemed to figure things out towards the end of last year. His third season should be his time to shine and when most players really take a step up.

If he adds that then 3 of the 4 screen names will be in this subject. :D

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 07:16 PM
For some reason, I think Collins is doomed for inconsistancy. He could make some big time plays though. He plays very tough for a safety.

I watched the Buffalo game because it's the only one I have taped and 3 things really stood out

1. Collins made a big time hit on the RB in that game. It was impressive.
2. Ahman Green was a stud that day.
3. The oline was worse than I thought. They were just beat to hell all game. If it wasn't for Favres ability to get rid of the ball in 1 second, we'd have been more screwed than we were.

I think the 3 I listed have the best chacne to be probowlers of the young guys. Collins just seems too hot and cold for me although I do think he is a long term starter and will garner some fear over time.

RashanGary
05-18-2007, 07:19 PM
The most positive thing from watching that game was how bad the Oline sucked. They were so pathetic taht it re-enforced my theory that the Oline was the biggest problem in the redzone last year and they are the position group that I htink has the best chance to take a huge leap from within.

Bretsky
05-18-2007, 07:22 PM

After supporting a string of 2nd round Snapper Picks, I was fully expecting to see Brandon Jackson.......but he bailed out.

He must think Jackson's going to stink :lol:

woodbuck27
05-19-2007, 01:53 PM
The most positive thing from watching that game was how bad the Oline sucked. They were so pathetic taht it re-enforced my theory that the Oline was the biggest problem in the redzone last year and they are the position group that I htink has the best chance to take a huge leap from within.

Growth (improvement) on the OL is the key to any success this season.

Without that we are doomed.

The QB needs to have options and that won't be served if the RB,FB and TE are needed for his protection as much as we saw last season.

Having said that it's also necessary for these position players to block well.

Favre has to run out of the pocket alot. He needs to have his RB and TE get open for the quick gain through the air.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 02:31 PM

YOUR THEORY? :shock:

right.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 02:35 PM
2. Ahman Green was a stud that day.

a month ago you said he was "washed up". Seems to me that a RB that can run behind a line that "sucked" is worth every penny of an 8mil bonus...

He ran in that game behind a line that absolutely SUCKED. How did Morency do? How do you think Morency will do in 2007 running behind that same line if they don't improve?

Justin, this is what I've been talking about all offseason. Be careful, the next thing you know is you'll be labeled as a "pessimist".

b bulldog
05-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Collins lacks instinct imo and a S who alcks that will never be a stud imo. Butler oozed instincts.

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Collins lacks instinct imo and a S who alcks that will never be a stud imo. Butler oozed instincts.

There aren't many Butler's, though. Collins can be somewhat as good as Butler. Not as good, but close to it.

b bulldog
05-19-2007, 03:40 PM
He could be or he may not end up being close either but as of now, he is a long ways away from being close to 36.

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 04:39 PM

right.

I've been saying it since the Philly/NY Giants playoff game. When the season was done, I pegged them as the weak link to the offense.

Most said TE, WR and RB. I said Oline.

The Leaper
05-19-2007, 04:43 PM
When was the last time that we had young guys like this that we can acctually say "They'll probably be really good and they have a chance to be special"?

Well, to be honest, Hawk was a #5 overall pick...which is much higher than we have had for well over a decade. Is it shocking to you that we would consider a #5 pick with such high regard? I'm sure any other GM would've found a pretty talented guy with the #5 overall pick.

Harrell hasn't proven any more on the field yet than Jamal Reynolds or Ahmad Carroll did after they were drafted...and he is still potentially capable of turning out to be as much of a bust. I'm not saying he will...I like the pick. However, to claim he has a chance to be special is useless...because any top 20 pick at this point is viewed in the same light regardless of team.

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Harrell hasn't proven any more on the field yet than Jamal Reynolds or Ahmad Carroll did after they were drafted...and he is still potentially capable of turning out to be as much of a bust. I'm not saying he will...I like the pick. However, to claim he has a chance to be special is useless...because any top 20 pick at this point is viewed in the same light regardless of team.

From what the scouts said and eveyrthing I hear, I think Harrell has a better chance than any taken in the 13-20 range from this draft. His motor, drive, size and effectiveness are all things that make me think he stands a better than usual chance. Sure, he could flop. I just think he has the physical ability and the work ethic to go with it much like Hakw and Jennings so I say he succeeds.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 06:00 PM

From what the scouts said and eveyrthing I hear, I think Harrell has a better chance than any taken in the 13-20 range from this draft. His motor, drive, size and effectiveness are all things that make me think he stands a better than usual chance. Sure, he could flop. I just think he has the physical ability and the work ethic to go with it much like Hakw and Jennings so I say he succeeds.

All blind predictions based on what others have seen and the rosy pictures that have been painted for us to believe.

Hawk was a no brainer pick there; of course we should be excited about him

TT deserves a lot of credit for the Jennings selection

Scott Campbell
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM

All blind predictions based on what others have seen and the rosy pictures that have been painted for us to believe.

Spitz and Colledge too.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Spitz and Colledge too.

Yup, well Collegge at least for now. He'll be a player IMO.

I'm not on the Spitz wagon yet; he showed some good and bad things last year and was a less than adequate players in several games.

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, to tell you the truth; the biggest reason I like Harrell is because Thompson thought he was the best player available after Lynch went. That excites me. Oh shit, who am I kidding; Thompson's whole approach and history excites me, why beat around the bush.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, to tell you the truth; the biggest reason I like Harrell is because Thompson thought he was the best player available after Lynch went. That excites me. Oh shit, who am I kidding; Thompson's whole approach and history excites me, why beat around the bush.

I didn't see anything that stated Ted Thompson though Harrell was better than the three picks ahead of us, but he was BPA at #16 for sure.

But that isn't reason to annoint him as anything until we see how well he performs in the NFL.

I do hope you are right though

B

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Go back and listen to the post Harrell TT conference. He said after pick #12 he was keyed in on Justin Harrell. That said to me that Harrell was rated above every player after Lynch.

Thompson never really says anyting with certainty but him saying he zoned on on Harrell after pick 12 said a lot to me about what he thought of Harrell. That is the biggest reason I took Harrell as my new screen name. I think Thompson had a very strong opinion based on that statement in the press conference.

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
I searched and searched. I remember one point and I'll paraphrase the best I can here, that he said "After about pick 12 or so we had justin targeted"

I went through and searched and searched. I can't find wehre he said that. I just spent 30 minutes listenting to clips. WTF..I know he said it though, unless i was dreaming which I don't think I dream TT press conferences.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 10:09 PM

right.

I've been saying it since the Philly/NY Giants playoff game. When the season was done, I pegged them as the weak link to the offense.

Most said TE, WR and RB. I said Oline.

You'll have to go back and find that quote. No way I believe that, we chatted in the draft thread about this. You'd have mentioned "your theory" then if it were true.

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2007, 10:10 PM

Butler may be one of the top 10 safeties of all-time. Collins is a normal young player with a ton of talent. It took Darren Sharper 3 years before he was even close to decent, and he became an All-Pro.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 10:16 PM

Butler may be one of the top 10 safeties of all-time. Collins is a normal young player with a ton of talent. It took Darren Sharper 3 years before he was even close to decent, and he became an All-Pro.

I just don't understand the comparisons to Leroy Butler. Leroy played in this league for over 10 years. Nick Collins is entering year 3. He's got time. Worst case he's adequate. Best case, he continues to improve. Why don't you guys talk about something important, like why Marquand Manuel still has a job... :roll:

cpk1994
05-20-2007, 07:12 AM

I just don't understand the comparisons to Leroy Butler. Leroy played in this league for over 10 years. Nick Collins is entering year 3. He's got time. Worst case he's adequate. Best case, he continues to improve. Why don't you guys talk about something important, like why Marquand Manuel still has a job... :roll:

Hope and pray for the health of Marviel Underwood and Marquand will be gone.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 07:47 AM
You'll have to go back and find that quote. No way I believe that, we chatted in the draft thread about this. You'd have mentioned "your theory" then if it were true.

I agreed with you that the line was the biggest problems at least once recently and even made a big deal out of it because it was nice to have someone in full agreement. I sort of gave up on talking about it because the first time I brought it up *which was near the end of the season when posts got lost* nobody said much.

I said and I'll do my best to paraphrase my old quote "Troy Aikman was covering the Philly/Giants game and he was saying the teams in the redzone that are successfull are the teams that can run the ball" I went on to say "I think the Packers biggest problem all year was the offensive lines inability to get a push when other teams know it si coming, like the redzone, and I think Aikmans theory on redzone production really backs this up"

Everyone came on and said, yeah but we need a TE and a #3 WR. I just sort of gave up on running my theory by people becuase most were pretty set on the theory that it was the skill guys. Then you came in and said the line was the biggest reason and it made my ears perk up because that was the exact post I was looking for months ago when I first made my post. It might have even been a full thread but everything from October - Febuary is GONE and I was here so I just don't know where it went.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Retailguy,

Yiou're missing all of your posts from October through early Jan so it would be hard for me to dig up anything that either of us said in that time frame. I believe it was a late december playoff game.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 10:37 AM

I agreed with you that the line was the biggest problems at least once recently and even made a big deal out of it because it was nice to have someone in full agreement. I sort of gave up on talking about it because the first time I brought it up *which was near the end of the season when posts got lost* nobody said much.

I said and I'll do my best to paraphrase my old quote "Troy Aikman was covering the Philly/Giants game and he was saying the teams in the redzone that are successfull are the teams that can run the ball" I went on to say "I think the Packers biggest problem all year was the offensive lines inability to get a push when other teams know it si coming, like the redzone, and I think Aikmans theory on redzone production really backs this up"

Everyone came on and said, yeah but we need a TE and a #3 WR. I just sort of gave up on running my theory by people becuase most were pretty set on the theory that it was the skill guys. Then you came in and said the line was the biggest reason and it made my ears perk up because that was the exact post I was looking for months ago when I first made my post. It might have even been a full thread but everything from October - Febuary is GONE and I was here so I just don't know where it went.

This will be unfair entrapment but I'll do it anyways :wink:

All of last year I begged for the Snapper to sign a OG so we could let the draft picks battle it out with a veteran and may the best two win. Nothing wrong with letting one of them develop as a backup.

Considering how weak you considered the overall OL play to be last year, would you agree that TT should have signed a vet ? It is his job to put a winning team together and if the OL was as glaring of a weakenss as you point out, shouldn't that fall back onto him ? Signing a vet OL seemed to glaringly obvious to me if we wanted to compete last year. He did have 35MIL last year :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Would a veteran have done better? He signed the likes of Matt O'Dwyer two years ago. That didn't work. Also, I think he really thought Kevin Barry would compete at OG.

retailguy
05-20-2007, 01:09 PM

All of last year I begged for the Snapper to sign a OG so we could let the draft picks battle it out with a veteran and may the best two win. Nothing wrong with letting one of them develop as a backup.

Considering how weak you considered the overall OL play to be last year, would you agree that TT should have signed a vet ? It is his job to put a winning team together and if the OL was as glaring of a weakenss as you point out, shouldn't that fall back onto him ? Signing a vet OL seemed to glaringly obvious to me if we wanted to compete last year. He did have 35MIL last year :lol:

Truthfully, I really can't answer that unless I knew Ted's plan. AND I HAVE NO F'ING IDEA WHAT THAT REALLY IS.

If his plan is to get the new guys playing, and win with them, then NO, I wouldn't support bringing in veterans at this point, as first, it would slow the development of the young guys, and second, they did show some promise last season, (though they played NOWHERE NEAR the level that some here are bantering about. They ranked just above "we suck" most of the time, with "a few flashes" of brilliance).

If he is truly committed to "Winning NOW" as he "claims" to be, then we NEED some experience on the OL, because these young guys won't cut it with young backs. I think you can have a young line, OR, you can have young backs, but you can't have both. That's the single biggest reason I was so pissed off that Ahman Green left. Expecting these two young backs to find a hole and run behind this line, is like expecting world peace. It AIN'T happening. (Yes, you guys can write that down, and bring it back up to me, when Brandon Jackson passes 1,000 yards this year).

So, end of line, if his plan is to "tank" the 2007 season for the benefit of the future, I'm fine with the plan. If he "THINKS" he's winning with the guys we've got, well, lets just say he's not the GM that he thinks he is, because at this point, that's a very NAIVE assumption.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 01:51 PM

If we had LeCharles Bently healthy we probably would have won 1 or 2 more games. It certainly hurt us for that moment. That said, we don't have the cap hit of Bently and I don't htink he'd help us very much at all this year. I think we're better off now because we suffered through some growing pains yesterday. It's part of the game if you want to win with the looming cap. It's funny, everyone says "WE WANT TO WIN NOW" but guess what, right NOW we have a lot better chance of winning and continuing to get better because we made an investment yesterday. It takes a little vision but I think we're just starting to see the benefits of good decision making in 07.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 01:53 PM
We sort of started over with a lot of Wolf's aging roster so I think we're going to suffer through some RB and Safety pain this year but eventually all of the stars will align. We keep getting better and we keep the means to continue to get better open. With that in mind, I'm very happy iwth the direction right now. I think we could make the playoffs, similar to Shermans years but we have the means to grow from there and that is the difference.