PDA

View Full Version : AHMAN GREEN-CLASS ACT- BUYS #30

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Texans running back Ahman Green asked around the locker room before he even approached Jason Simmons. Green wanted to know if he was wasting his time.

He didn't know Simmons well, and, even more importantly, he didn't know how attached the Texans safety was to the No. 30.

"Everybody was like, 'He's a good guy. He's going to work something out with you someway or somehow,' " Green said.

Green, who started wearing 30 even before attending Nebraska, became optimistic but still wasn't sure what it might cost him. The tradition around the NFL is that if you want someone else's number, you pay them.

When Green finally asked, Simmons shocked him.

"He said, 'Sure, but I'd like you to make a down payment on a single-parent home through a foundation or charity,' " Green said. "I was like, 'Yeah I'm all on board. That's easy. Tell me where to write the check to.'

"So instead of putting the money into his pocket, he's going to put in into somebody else's home and help them get their life started."

Simmons had no personal connection to the number 30. He wore 23 for four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. When he arrived in Houston as a free agent before the 2002 season, they handed him 30.

Now, he will wear No. 22.

"It was the first number I saw," Simmons said of 22. "I don't care. Just put me on the field, and I'll play with any number."

No. 30 does mean something to Simmons now, and he also knows it will soon mean something to a worthy family in the community.

Simmons always found it a little ridiculous that players pay each other for certain numbers. But now, he is excited about how that old NFL tradition will be put toward a good cause.

"It's kind of tough for me to take money from another guy," Simmons said. "I don't need that. We'll go out and help the community, because this city has stuck by us. If we can go out and show that we're with the community and we appreciate all that they've done, I think it's a good thing."

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Great story. I applaud both of them for their actions.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Green is a "washed up" has been. He should hold onto that money... :wink:

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Hopefully this will become the new tradition. Class all the way.

b bulldog
05-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Green is no class act, he is a female batterer. He was lucky the two or three times that the cops were called that his friend never pressed charges. Any man who would hit or get physical with a women is a piece of garbage.

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Green is no class act, he is a female batterer. He was lucky the two or three times that the cops were called that his friend never pressed charges. Any man who would hit or get physical with a women is a piece of garbage.

He threw a plate into the wall and slammed the doors of his house. Hardly a "wife beater."

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 03:28 PM
This one kinda bugs me. Though I have NO respect AT ALL for a man who is willing to hit a woman, I was highly interested in this case when it came up and the aftermath. From the reports I read, yes, he became more physical and threatening than he should have. And because of it he was arrested (very publicly) and divorced (also very public). Since that time, however, he has undergone anger management and remarried the very woman that had freed herself from his abuse. Yes, he has to take his shots for what he did, but he also deserves credit for the effort and improvement he's made to his life. And with that credit comes the willingness to admit that when he gladly writes a check out to help a single-parent family, it's a classy thing to do.

b bulldog
05-19-2007, 03:39 PM
You really think that Ballhawk?? He did a good thing here but he in NOT A CLASS ACT imo.

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 03:43 PM
You really think that Ballhawk?? He did a good thing here but he in NOT A CLASS ACT imo.

Every man has his flaws. Ahman Green never, at any point, physically harmed his wife.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Every man has his flaws. Ahman Green never, at any point, physically harmed his wife.

This is not accurate. He was accused of striking her, I think a couple of times, once while attending classes at Nebraska in the summertime.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 03:59 PM

He threw a plate into the wall and slammed the doors of his house. Hardly a "wife beater."

Stop pointing out facts !

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 04:00 PM

OK, maybe I should have noted "Class Act of a Story"

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2007, 09:52 PM
This is not accurate. He was accused of striking her, I think a couple of times, once while attending classes at Nebraska in the summertime.

He struck his wife or girlfriend about 7-8 years ago. He was arrested another time, but it seemed like there was no physical contact. It's inexcusable, but hopefully the second incident showed that he learned from the first incident.

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 09:59 PM
He struck his wife or girlfriend about 7-8 years ago. He was arrested another time, but it seemed like there was no physical contact. It's inexcusable, but hopefully the second incident showed that he learned from the first incident.

Please read what I wrote...

retailguy
05-19-2007, 10:03 PM

Seems to me that there was an additional incident in 2002 in Nebraska, but in any event, once is more than NEVER... that was my point.

MadtownPacker
05-20-2007, 01:56 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the girlfriend or wife that hit him first. I bet that is the case in a bunch of the situations. But since Ahman has the muscles he gets the handcuffs.

GBRulz
05-20-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm glad someone from the community will benefit from this money. I think it was a class act on the part of Jason Simmons. It was HIS idea of where to put the money into the community and not his own pocket. Anyhow, a nice story and I wish things like this were reported more than controversial and soap opera type stories.

pbmax
05-20-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm with GB, Simmons should get the credit.

Ahman, with two incidents, whether each was threatening or violent, would seem to have a pattern. Separated by time as they were, he was old enough the second time that changing this pattern would be very difficult.

An anger management class isn't going to do the trick at 26 or 28.

Color me skeptical. Especially if its the same woman.

gbgary
05-20-2007, 10:13 AM
hold on everyone...simmons is the "class-act" here, not ahman. ahman was willing to pay for the number, it was simmons idea to put it toward something noble. ahman was just writing a check one way or another.