PDA

View Full Version : The Soap Opera That Is Brett Favre ------The Real Story

son of a vic
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Our story begins a few years back, when our star states publicly, he might retire. So then Ted the Terrible ( the perceived villian) goes out and drafts the second best QB in the draft, to take over for the soon to be retired gunslinger. Now the gunslinger is hacked off because Ted the Terrible isn't doing enough to surround him with weapons? Maybe if the star of the soap opera wouldn't bring out the rocking chair talk every frickin' year, Ted would have drafted a skilled player or two that would compliment the offense, instead of drafting A. Rodgers to take over for the loosed lipped, strong armed one.

Brett Favre only need do these few things the rest of his career. No. 1------- Keep his personal opinions to himself, No. 2---- Remove the word "retirement" from his vocabulary, and No. 3, ----------- Finish his career, without bitterness and resentment (for the team that made him a miliionaire 10 times over), by making guys around him better. That's what leaders do, don't they?

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Our story begins a few years back, when our star starts publicly stating he might retire. So then Ted the Terrible ( the perceived villian) goes out and drafts the second best QB in the draft, to take over for the soon to be retired gunslinger

See, I don't buy this part here, which is the basis for your story. A few years ago Favre was 35 and aging.

TT had Rodgers very highly rated and he was the BPA, which TT has held true to in every first round.

TT was taking Rodgers regardless.

I don't buy that anything he said, good or bad, would influence that.

son of a vic
05-19-2007, 06:19 PM
No way is Rodgers drafted, if Ted thinks Favre is still chucking the ball around in 08'. Name me another team that has taken a QB in the first round, that hasn't given him a considerable amount of snaps going into his third season.

Brett Favre basically drafted Rodgers with his big mouth.

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Brett Favre only need do these few things the rest of his career. No. 1------- Keep his personal opinions to himself, No. 2---- Remove the word "retirement" from his vocabulary, and No. 3, ----------- Finish his career, without bitterness and resentment (for the team that made him a miliionaire 10 times over), by making guys around him better. That's what leaders do, don't they?

In theory you could add 4. Learn to say "no comment," but in all honesty, I rather like his candor. It's better than the canned crap that the rest of the league spews while refusing to say anything of interest to anyone.

son of a vic
05-19-2007, 06:26 PM
But when Terrel Owens says what's on his mind, that makes him a cancer.

BallHawk
05-19-2007, 06:30 PM

Welcome to the world of double standards, Vic.

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 06:40 PM

That's because he's an idiot.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 07:27 PM
No way is Rodgers drafted, if Ted thinks Favre is still chucking the ball around in 08'. Name me another team that has taken a QB in the first round, that hasn't given him a considerable amount of snaps going into his third season.

Brett Favre basically drafted Rodgers with his big mouth.

That's just pure jargon to support your case. Contracts are year to year; a no comment would have done the same as brute honesty

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I think Thompson would have taken the BPA regardless, but I completely agree that Favre needs to shut his mouth. Every player is fielding rediculous questions because Favre stirred is anual controversy.

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 07:34 PM
But you have to admit, it's giving us something to discuss...

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 07:35 PM
I think Thompson would have taken the BPA regardless, but I completely agree that Favre needs to shut his mouth. Every player is fielding rediculous questions because Favre stirred is anual controversy.

agree completely

It does GB no good for Brett Favre to be brutally honest. He needs to keep that stuff in and discuss with TT himself if he chooses.

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 07:56 PM
agree completely

It does GB no good for Brett Favre to be brutally honest. He needs to keep that stuff in and discuss with TT himself if he chooses.

I don't even know if it was Favre being "mad at TT". I just think he wanted Moss and thought he had him and he was venting. I don't think he even took it as far as pointing fingers. I think the fans took the next step but Favre was simply venting.

That said, he should knwo by now that his words will stir shit.

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 08:02 PM
agree completely

I don't even know if it was Favre being "mad at TT". I just think he wanted Moss and thought he had him and he was venting. I don't think he even took it as far as pointing fingers. I think the fans took the next step but Favre was simply venting.

That said, he should knwo by now that his words will stir shit.

Hmm; interesting take.

I tend to go the other way. I think BF wants to win now and wants veteran talent to help him near term. TT is building for the future. I do think he is very frustrated.

Who knows what has occured, if anything, behind closed doors before this came about.

RashanGary
05-19-2007, 08:12 PM
True, B

He did say "how can you say they are not rebuilding"

I still don't think he's taking a shot, I just think he feels sometimes taht the organization is moving forward without him and they forgot to tell him that. I really don't think that is what is happening but shortly after the Moss stuff, it's not suprising that Favre felt that way.

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 08:12 PM
"I'm fine with Ted. There's probably been games or plays that he hasn't really agreed with the things that I've done, but I don't see him on the bus after the game, he won't speak to me. You go on; you move forward. I'm not here to judge the way he runs this team, and I know he's probably caught a lot of heat. Ted and I go way back--from day one. And he has a plan. That's what he's paid to do and I'm paid to lead this team on the field. I mean, we're fine. Once again, I don't have to agree with everything he does, he doesn't have to agree with some of the things I do. But we're fine...it's a non-issue" --Brett Favre

Doesn't sound like animosity to me somehow...

:?

FritzDontBlitz
05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Our story begins a few years back, when our star states publicly, he might retire. So then Ted the Terrible ( the perceived villian) goes out and drafts the second best QB in the draft, to take over for the soon to be retired gunslinger. Now the gunslinger is hacked off because Ted the Terrible isn't doing enough to surround him with weapons? Maybe if the star of the soap opera wouldn't bring out the rocking chair talk every frickin' year, Ted would have drafted a skilled player or two that would compliment the offense, instead of drafting A. Rodgers to take over for the loosed lipped, strong armed one.

ok, allow me to redirect.

what offensive weapons has teddy t brought in to surround aaron rodgers with talent?

since he's the future, i mean.

take your time, i'll wait..... :smack:

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 09:00 PM
He drafted a bunch of them. With Brett not leaving for another 3 years, it'll give them plenty of time to develop. :mrgreen:

pbmax
05-19-2007, 09:09 PM
:beat: I am giving this emoticon to myself, because I am going to repeat for the 100th time, that Favre began this in 2001/2002. Five+ years ago. Not during T2's tenure, but during Sherman's.

Our story begins a few years back, when our star states publicly, he might retire.

retailguy
05-19-2007, 10:13 PM

Hey Drama Man! Welcome Back!

TO is a cancer, that's what makes him one... Remember the sit-ups in the front yard a few years back? Remember the Jeff Garcia accusations? Remember the Donovan McNabb accusations? How about the way he stood behind Drew Bledsoe last season? The guy is a TWO FACED weasel.

Comparing him to Favre is not reasonable, even when Favre is acting like a spoiled little child.

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2007, 10:22 PM

It's because of other things that make him a cancer--like not talking to his OC for a season, criticizing every one of his QBs, stomping on the Dallas star, and being such a-hole that a large percentage of his teammates think he's a turd.

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2007, 10:22 PM

TO is a cancer, that's what makes him one... Remember the sit-ups in the front yard a few years back? Remember the Jeff Garcia accusations? Remember the Donovan McNabb accusations? How about the way he stood behind Drew Bledsoe last season? The guy is a TWO FACED weasel.

Comparing him to Favre is not reasonable, even when Favre is acting like a spoiled little child.

I should have read this before posting.
:D

Bretsky
05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
"I'm fine with Ted. There's probably been games or plays that he hasn't really agreed with the things that I've done, but I don't see him on the bus after the game, he won't speak to me. You go on; you move forward. I'm not here to judge the way he runs this team, and I know he's probably caught a lot of heat. Ted and I go way back--from day one. And he has a plan. That's what he's paid to do and I'm paid to lead this team on the field. I mean, we're fine. Once again, I don't have to agree with everything he does, he doesn't have to agree with some of the things I do. But we're fine...it's a non-issue" --Brett Favre

Gosh, why would Favre be upset with the offseason ? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

retailguy
05-19-2007, 10:25 PM

I should have read this before posting.
:D

Great minds think alike. :P

MJZiggy
05-19-2007, 11:07 PM

Gosh, why would Favre be upset with the offseason ? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Those are his words, not mine.

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 03:24 AM
I just think [Favre] feels sometimes that the organization is moving forward without him and they forgot to tell him that.

IMO, the organization did not forget to tell Favre anything. Favre "forgot" to tell them that he would still be here in 2006, 2007, and possibly beyond.

If they had known that, I think there's no way they draft A-Rod in the 1st round in 2005. Teams do not draft quarterbacks in the first round so they can warm the bench for 2 years, let alone 3 or 4.

I'm a big fan of Brett Favre, but he ain't perfect, and I think SOV is right on this one. I don't sympathize with Favre's frustrations regarding personnel moves, because it is Favre's unwillingness to give the team anything more than a year-to-year commitment that has forced the team to prepare for life without him sooner rather than later.

cpk1994
05-20-2007, 06:51 AM
SOV, you explained the situation better than I veer could and I agree with you. :bow:

son of a vic
05-20-2007, 07:41 AM

It's because of other things that make him a cancer--like not talking to his OC for a season, criticizing every one of his QBs, stomping on the Dallas star, and being such a-hole that a large percentage of his teammates think he's a turd.

And Brett got along so well with Rossley, and didn't throw Javon Walker under the bus either. And now he thinks he's a better GM than Ted.

Sounds like a team guy to me too.

son of a vic
05-20-2007, 07:50 AM

Point being Retail Clown, is that they are both being a negative influence on their respective teams. Not that Favre is any better or worse than T.O.

son of a vic
05-20-2007, 07:57 AM
SOV, you explained the situation better than I veer could and I agree with you. :bow:

I know it was just a typo, but when I see the word "veer" , as a lifelong Badger fan, I get the shakes, and have Don Morton flashbacks.

I'll be out of rehab very soon!

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Favre makes some mistakes with the media, as he did this past week, but he also manned up, backtracked, and made things right with his teammates. T.O. never bothers to do that ... T.O. doesn't care.

Brett is liked and respected by his teammates, whereas T.O. wears out his welcome with teammates.

I don't think you can compare the two at all.

cpk1994
05-20-2007, 08:39 AM

I know it was just a typo, but when I see the word "veer" , as a lifelong Badger fan, I get the shakes, and have Don Morton flashbacks.

I'll be out of rehab very soon!

Good god I can't believe my fingers typed that word. Bad hand, bad hand. BTW, I get those shakes and Don Morton flashbacks too.

son of a vic
05-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Favre makes some mistakes with the media, as he did this past week, but he also manned up, backtracked, and made things right with his teammates. T.O. never bothers to do that ... T.O. doesn't care.

Brett is liked and respected by his teammates, whereas T.O. wears out his welcome with teammates.

I really don't know if he's as respected and liked by his teammates, as most people think.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Those are his words, not mine.

Oh please; do we need to draw out all of his quotes you missed out on ? He's doing a nice media spin; surely even you must realize that. Nothing like conveniently ingnoring some quotes and then using the others as truth :roll:

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 10:41 AM
I just think [Favre] feels sometimes that the organization is moving forward without him and they forgot to tell him that.

IMO, the organization did not forget to tell Favre anything. Favre "forgot" to tell them that he would still be here in 2006, 2007, and possibly beyond.

If they had known that, I think there's no way they draft A-Rod in the 1st round in 2005. Teams do not draft quarterbacks in the first round so they can warm the bench for 2 years, let alone 3 or 4.

I'm a big fan of Brett Favre, but he ain't perfect, and I think SOV is right on this one. I don't sympathize with Favre's frustrations regarding personnel moves, because it is Favre's unwillingness to give the team anything more than a year-to-year commitment that has forced the team to prepare for life without him sooner rather than later.

And how was he suppose to know if he was going to be here for three full more years; his fault though. Wow

son of a vic
05-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Most players don't bring up retirement until they are ready to retire. Not when they are just pondering about it.

MJZiggy
05-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Oh please; do we need to draw out all of his quotes you missed out on ? He's doing a nice media spin; surely even you must realize that. Nothing like conveniently ingnoring some quotes and then using the others as truth :roll:

No, this just happened to be the one I was listening to at the time I read this thread. What quote am I conveniently ignoring? He talked for 5 minutes in that pc about how he and Ted are fine. So is he lying? What proof is there that this is spin and not the truth? Are you taking some source close to the situation at its word over the horses mouth? You know how I feel about the media and their tendency to twist things. Now I haven't seen the original interview yet, but it seems to me he was pretty clear in this one.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 10:56 AM

No, this just happened to be the one I was listening to at the time I read this thread. What quote am I conveniently ignoring? He talked for 5 minutes in that pc about how he and Ted are fine. So is he lying? What proof is there that this is spin and not the truth? Are you taking some source close to the situation at its word over the horses mouth? You know how I feel about the media and their tendency to twist things. Now I haven't seen the original interview yet, but it seems to me he was pretty clear in this one.

Ah forget it; I know what you'll say anyways. You should go review what happened while you were gone.

MJZiggy
05-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I've heard I may not want to...

MadtownPacker
05-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Point being Retail Clown, is that they are both being a negative influence on their respective teams. Not that Favre is any better or worse than T.O.
Hahaha!! Everything else you posted is mostly shredder material but "Retail Clown" is a true gem! :lol:

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 11:43 AM

I really don't know if he's as respected and liked by his teammates, as most people think.

I'm really curious if you have anything to back that statement ?

In my profession I have did loans for a guy who has connections via the sports media with the Packers. He had several of their cell numbers saved and we discussed GB while we were waiting for another annoucement from Brett Favre on his coming back this year.

He let me know he spoke with a starting OL last week and asked for input on how the players perceptions is. The player noted that they all like and enjoy him and are currently praying he comes back.

We've heard several on the record statements on how the players really respect him and like him; I had some off the record things.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Most players don't bring up retirement until they are ready to retire. Not when they are just pondering about it.

Like QB's who have been around for a long time.....Elway.....Marino ? :roll:

Often these players bring up retirement when they are asked about it

pbmax
05-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Elway had one season when this was a big deal, after the first Super Bowl. The next season he announced quickly the retirement. This was a good example of ending well.

Marino is a bad example. He fussed and fueded through two seasons with Jimmy Johnson, berated teammates on the field while clearly not the player he once was. Had his ability to audible taken away. Complained about the running game. Had at least one off-season contemplating going to Rastak and the Vikings. Except for Montana, this is the textbook example of ending ugly.

The difference isn't the questioned being asked and answered. Its what the answer is. It can be downplayed or ignored. Answered when emotions aren't raw.

Favre's answers have always encouraged more speculation.

Think what his press conferences would be like if he was answering pain killer/alcohol/after care questions like he entertains the retirement question. He clearly possesses the ability to kill a story. He hasn't used it with retirement.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Elway had one season when this was a big deal, after the first Super Bowl. The next season he announced quickly the retirement. This was a good example of ending well.

Marino is a bad example. He fussed and fueded through two seasons with Jimmy Johnson, berated teammates on the field while clearly not the player he once was. Had his ability to audible taken away. Complained about the running game. Had at least one off-season contemplating going to Rastak and the Vikings. Except for Montana, this is the textbook example of ending ugly.

The difference isn't the questioned being asked and answered. Its what the answer is. It can be downplayed or ignored. Answered when emotions aren't raw.

Favre's answers have always encouraged more speculation.

Think what his press conferences would be like if he was answering pain killer/alcohol/after care questions like he entertains the retirement question. He clearly possesses the ability to kill a story. He hasn't used it with retirement.

My point is simple

It's silly to think a QB would announce he'll play another three years, and when you've played so long big deals are going to be made about retirement. Players have the right to announce when they have fully decided. Not everything is ideal and this situation certainly never has been.

I used Favre and Elway because they were the two QB's who seemed to be around forever in my era; Favre is the third. Can't think of another good one, although Aikman played a while for the same team.

Has Favre added to the fire ? Sure. Do I really care ? Not really.

MJZiggy
05-20-2007, 02:02 PM
My point is simple

It's silly to think a QB would announce he'll play another three years, and when you've played so long big deals are going to be made about retirement. Players have the right to announce when they have fully decided. Not everything is ideal and this situation certainly never has been.

I used Favre and Elway because they were the two QB's who seemed to be around forever in my era; Favre is the third. Can't think of another good one, although Aikman played a while for the same team.

Has Favre added to the fire ? Sure. Do I really care ? Not really.

Hey B!! We agree on something!

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 05:07 PM

And how was he suppose to know if he was going to be here for three full more years; his fault though. Wow

I don't think he could have known for certain that he would be around for 3 more years, but remember what he has been saying? He stated that the next season is definitely his last before each of the last 2 seasons, only to change his mind in the next offseason.

Having played that game twice now, how can he then blame the team for preparing for life without him by starting and sticking with a much-needed youth movement?

Merlin
05-20-2007, 05:42 PM

I think you need to find the "quote" where Favre started all the retirement talk back in 2000-2001. Favre responded to a question during an interview when asked whether or not he has thought about retirement yet. The media took it and ran with it and has been constantly bombarding him with the question since. If the media wouldn't have spun the shit into a soap opera, I doubt anything Favre has done since would have mattered. When he came back in 2005, it was after an embarrassing playoff loss to the Vikings. It wouldn't have mattered what he would have said to the media, it was all about retirement. In 2006, same thing. This year was about the only year that was ever in question because of how he ended his last game. Other then that, the media, not Favre has been keeping the whole thing going.

As far as any respect for 3T in regards to the issue, he doesn't want Favre but can't get rid of him without pissing everyone off. From day one he has done his best to make Favre retire. Favre knows this as does any life form with a pulse. He took Aaron Rodgers not because he wasn't sure on Favre but because he has a "plan" and it doesn't include Favre. Problem is, Favre has screwed up his "plan" so now it's a chess game to see who blinks first.

If 3T believes "we don't talk about those things", then why did 3T feed the media any Favre retirement crap?

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 06:40 PM

I don't think he could have known for certain that he would be around for 3 more years, but remember what he has been saying? He stated that the next season is definitely his last before each of the last 2 seasons, only to change his mind in the next offseason.

Having played that game twice now, how can he then blame the team for preparing for life without him by starting and sticking with a much-needed youth movement?

He didn't say next season is definitely his last in 05, at least that I can remember. I don't ever recall Favre stating next season is his last to be honest. Can you provide a link to this or does anybody else recall saying that ?

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2006-05-06-favre-return_x.htm

Favre back, not sure if this is his last season

By Chris Jenkins, The Associated Press
GREEN BAY, Wis. — Brett Favre is back. And so, it seems, is the "Favre watch," as the question of Favre's future beyond 2006 remains open-ended.
Despite definitive comments earlier in the offseason that he wouldn't return to play for more than one year, Favre was evasive when asked on Saturday if this would be his last season with the Green Bay Packers.

"I know I said that," Favre said in his first public comments since telling the team he would return. "But I hope you guys will respect me. I'm going to play this year, give it my best and not talk about it."

In an interview with the Biloxi Sun-Herald that ran last month, before Favre told the team he was returning, Favre said that if he did come back, there was "no doubt" this would be his last year. But he declined to make the same strong statement on Saturday.

Favre said the constant speculation surrounding his football future — most of which has been spawned by his own public comments on the subject — has become a distraction for the team.

"It's been a distraction not only for me but for I think the guys I played with in the past, and I'm not going to talk about it this year," Favre said.

In a half-hour interview session, Favre admitted that he still questions whether his decision to return was the right one. But Favre said he also would be questioning himself if he instead had decided to retire.

Favre knows athletes nearing the end of their careers can risk their legacies by continuing to play after they should have retired. Others choose to quit when they could have played effectively for a few more years.

"Where do I fall in? I don't know, and don't care," he said. "The Packers still want me, I want to be back."

Favre threw a career-worst 29 interceptions last season as the Packers went 4-12, the team's first losing season with Favre as its quarterback. But Favre doesn't seem inclined to change the way he plays.

"I'm not going to sit there and throw three-yard checkdowns and let the clock run out," Favre said. "I'm going to take chances. And there's going to be people who agree with that and there's going to be people who don't agree with it. And I really don't care."

Favre said he would continue his "aggressive" style of play, even though he admits it's "not pretty" at times.

"There's been a lot of guys out there who were prettier who are out of the league right now," Favre said. "And I don't regret the way I play or the way I approach it, and I don't feel like I should change. My will to win is probably why I'm still standing here. My desire and my commitment is why I'm here. Not my footwork, not my mechanics, not arm strength or decision making. It's my desire to win. I want to win more than anyone else. I'm willing to do whatever it takes, and sometimes it's not pretty."

Favre said many of last year's interceptions came when the Packers were trailing in games and, because of mounting injuries, Favre was playing with young players with whom he wasn't familiar.

"Maybe I should have made some different decisions at times, but we had to try to win the ballgame with whoever was in there," Favre said.

Interceptions aside, Favre's return is a boost for his teammates. Had he not come back, the team likely would have started last year's first-round draft pick, Aaron Rodgers, at quarterback.

"That made me happy," receiver Donald Driver said of Favre's decision. "I knew that now I didn't have to worry about coming into camp. And I haven't played with 'A-Rod' that long, but I knew that I can come into a camp and I don't have to worry about this and that, or (does) this guy know where I'm going to be at. Because Brett already knows what I'm going to pretty much do."

Disgruntled receiver Javon Walker was traded on draft day, meaning Driver will likely be Favre's top target again this season.

"I don't have to ever worry about anything, because I know when the time comes, I'm going to be that guy that's going to be getting the ball," Driver said. "I would have had worries if he wasn't here. You never know how the system works then."

Favre may have hastened Walker's departure last year by publicly criticizing Walker's threats to hold out for a new contract.

"We could sure use him," Favre said of Walker. "Any team could use him. But I don't regret the things I said. And I stand by that."

Favre reiterated several times on Saturday that he never considered asking to be traded to another team in the offseason.

"I know there was a lot of talk about being traded or wanting to play for another team," Favre said. "That never, I've told you guys that over and over again that I didn't want to play for another team, and that's the truth. And never once did I mention (a) trade. This is where I wanted to be the whole time."

But does he still want the ball with two minutes left and the game on the line? In an interview with ESPN early in the offseason, Favre questioned his own desire to play.

"I'm here," Favre said Saturday. "I didn't pull too many out last year, but I gave it my damnedest, and that's all I can do this year. But if I didn't want the ball, believe me, I wouldn't be here."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Posted 5/6/2006 3:03 PM ET

He said it for 2006, and then backed off. But management has to plan as if it will be the case, given the strong possibility that it could be true.

Still looking for the quote for 2005.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I should have been more clear; this is the part I dispute from your post

He stated that the next season is definitely his last before each of the last 2 seasons, only to change his mind in the next offseason.

I know what he said this year, but I was not aware he declared that the past two seasons

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't remember him saying that. It may have been passed around in the media, but I doubt he actually said that. I watch his press conferences every two weeks, and I think he's always been careful not to say a season would be his last.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't remember him saying that. It may have been passed around in the media, but I doubt he actually said that. I watch his press conferences every two weeks, and I think he's always been careful not to say a season would be his last.

I agree with the guy who also favored Robert Meachem :lol: :wink:

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Looking back at articles in early 2005, I find that he basically says he will be back for 2005, and he waffles with the idea of it being his final season. I stand corrected that he stated outright that 2005 would be his last season, but there was a pretty strong implication. I should have written that he stated it in 2006 and strongly implied it in 2005. This implication for 2005 was bolstered by his comments later in the year that he didn't want to learn a new offensive system and that he would probably not be back if Sherman was fired.

Sources:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2005-06-05-favres-future_x.htm

Favre says he could play past 2005

GRAND CHUTE, Wis. (AP) — Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre said Sunday that next season may not be his last, and stepped up pressure on a holdout receiver to get back in the game.

After being serenaded by chants of "five more years" from a record crowd of 8,500 visitors to his charity softball game Sunday, Favre told reporters he hoped the family issues that made him contemplate retirement would be resolved.

"I hope off the field, within my family, that things go smoothly and I'm able to enjoy it a little bit more and my family is able to enjoy it. If that's the case, maybe I will be back," Favre said.

Favre spoke with local reporters for the first time since he announced in early March that he would be returning for a 15th NFL season.

He spoke at the sixth annual Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game, which was held to raise money for disadvantaged or disabled children in Wisconsin and Mississippi.

Favre's wife Deanna, who recently underwent five months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments for breast cancer, said her husband could play for "a couple of more" years.

Deanna Favre thanked coach Mike Sherman for keeping her husband off the field for mini training camps this spring.

"Just staying away and really focusing on family and working out has really helped," she said. "He's really excited about coming back. He's more excited this year than probably the last two or three."

The three-time NFL MVP quarterback also stepped up the pressure on Pro Bowl receiver Javon Walker, who has skipped both minicamps in spring and summer. Walker is demanding a new contract to replace one that has two years left on it.

Pro Bowl tight end Bubba Franks also has been a no-show because he has yet to sign a contract after being designated as the team's transition player.

"I hate to see that the game is going this way," Favre said. "I've heard a lot of comments saying, 'Well, Brett has his money and all this stuff.' Never once did I mention holdout."

"I believe, as the leader of this team, in some ways I have to be vocal," he said. "I've always been a quiet guy when it comes to things like that. But, I'm at the latter part of my career, and I want to win."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9021862

Favre not sure he has time, energy to learn new offense

Nov. 3, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- NFL star Brett Favre says he would be reluctant to return to Green Bay next season if Mike Sherman isn't still coaching the Packers.

The Packers (1-6) are off to their worst start since 1991, which has led to speculation about Sherman's future.

In an interview with the Associated Press on Thursday, Favre said Sherman's status would play an important role in his annual decision to keep on playing or to call it a career.

"I don't think there's one specific thing that would make me say yeah or no. It's just a culmination of a lot of different things, that being one of them," Favre said. "Maybe you're on the verge of saying yeah, and then you say, 'You know what, do I really want to sit in meetings and have to learn something all over again?'

"That could be the straw that breaks the camel's back."

General manager Ted Thompson, who has refused to comment on Sherman's future, was out of his office and didn't immediately return a call from the AP.

Sherman, who signed a two-year, $6.4 million contract extension on Aug. 23 that would take him through 2007, declined comment on Favre's remarks.

Favre, who turned 36 last month, previously has said he wouldn't want to finish his career in another uniform because he's too set in his ways to learn a new offense.

Favre, who was traded to the Packers in 1992 after a year in Atlanta, has spent his entire time in Green Bay, leading it to Super Bowl victory in 1996. He is the league's only three-time MVP.

"I think that I've been maybe the only player that's ever played 14 years in the same offense," he said. "This offense has evolved; it's something a little bit different, but I've been here through the evolution. No one else has. The downside of that is, it would be so hard for me to learn something new in a year. It would just be so difficult. I mean, it could be done. Anything can be done.

"It's no different than my first time in Tokyo, you're driving on the wrong side of the road and it was hell. And I didn't drive; I just rode."

Favre said he won't know about next season until the offseason, but the weekly grind of preparing for games wears on him more with each passing year.

"It could come down to some of the littlest things, what I'm willing to put myself through. I mean, if it was coming down to just games, I don't think nothing could pull me away from the games. I love to play. I love to play," Favre said.

"But you know, I know, it's not baseball, it's not basketball. You only play three hours a week. You spend all this time -- people think at home that I just show up on Sundays and we play. I'm here taking a damn nap here at lunch, spend all day and watch film at night. For three hours. And if it doesn't go your way, it's so disappointing all the time you've put into it."

Favre pondered retirement last winter while his wife, Deanna, was undergoing treatment for breast cancer, the latest in a long list of tragedies to strike the Favre family.

When Deanna recovered, she encouraged her husband to keep playing so they could enjoy the twilight of his career after two years of heartache.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 07:38 PM

Favre acknowledges that he said it (for 2006) in the article I posted. It doesn't get more plain than that.

Also see: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=412605

Favre waits, watches Packers before deciding future

By LORI NICKEL and TOM SILVERSTEIN

lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 31, 2006

Brett Favre needs more time to decide whether to return for a 16th season or retire and Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson isn't going to pressure him.

Favre was due a $3 million roster bonus today and the Packers were hoping he would make a decision on his status by now. But Favre isn't 100% sure yet.

In perhaps his most forceful comments about his expectations for the Packers this off-season, Favre told reporters Thursday at a charity event in Mississippi that if he didn't like the direction the team is headed, he will not return. He also said he probably would not have an answer by today, disputing reports that the Packers were insisting on an answer by today.

"That is not true," Favre said. "If I don't tell them by Saturday, what will they do, cut me? We have talked the last month and there are some things that I have to sort out. If they don't come together, I guess I won't play. I don't know if my decision will be made by Saturday."

Friday afternoon, Thompson said he was OK with that.

"I think, quite frankly, everybody would like to know what the answer is and I think Brett would especially like to know," Thompson said. "It's just not there yet. We understand that. It's obviously a very high profile decision because of the quality of the player. We want him to play. But it's up to Brett and (his wife) Deanna to decide, to make that decision. Any communication we've had is just to try to do whatever we can to help him along in that decision-making process."

The Packers have never said the Saturday deadline was non-negotiable, especially since the roster bonus isn't paid until September and Favre doesn't receive it at all if he retires. So the Packers can let the deadline pass and not be on the hook for the money if he retires. The next logical move by the Packers would be to push the deadline back again, as they have already done twice in the past month.

"There's never really been a deadline," Thompson said. "I think we've all communicated that the sooner, the better. We've sort of had some target dates (with the roster bonus), but there's never been a deadline for this. I don't know how there could be one. The man will decide when he decides, I think."

Meanwhile, Favre is watching to see what develops with the Packers before he settles on a decision.

"I still feel like I can play at a high level and obviously the Packers do, too, or they wouldn't be concerned about my decision," Favre said. "But there are some things I have to sort out. There are some things I'm looking for in the team and what they're trying to do. I guess if those don't come together, I guess I won't play. It's just kind of wait and see.

"Ted Thompson, the GM, and Mike McCarthy, the head coach, are good friends of mine. I've dealt with them before. I've been on good terms with them. It's not like I'm delaying this on purpose. There are some reasons. We still have 160 days before the start of the season so I don't know if the decision will be made by Saturday."

McCarthy, the Packers' first-year coach, said he, Favre and Thompson had had "constant, open, particularly positive" conversations in the off-season. McCarthy said Favre never expressed the reservations or concerns that he alluded to Thursday, which were reported by the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald.

"Brett and I have talked about a number of issues, things that are going on up here in Green Bay, as far as the off-season program and player acquisitions and all those types of things," McCarthy said. "I have never had a conversation with him in the context that was expressed in the article. So I will judge based on our conversations."

From those, McCarthy thinks that Favre still wants to play. McCarthy also made it clear Favre is wanted, but added that he didn't think the team was under a microscope to make the right moves to persuade Favre to return.

"I’ve stated from the point I was hired here that I want Brett Favre back as the quarterback of our football team," McCarthy said. "He’s fully aware of everything that goes on in the Green Bay Packers organization, how it works, what makes it tick, and he’s been a big part of it since 1992. So I don't feel a need to go out and solicit Brett Favre to come back to Green Bay. He's a big part of what's gone on here in the past; (I) would like him to take a step forward in the future."

Favre made his comments Thursday in Bay St. Louis, Miss., near his childhood hometown of Kiln, where he and Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair distributed grants to Gulf Coast football programs that were hit by Hurricane Katrina. Grants between $1,500 and $5,000 from the two players' foundations will be matched by the NFL Youth Football Fund.

That Favre has the itch to play again is a striking about-face from two months ago. Stinging from a 4-12 season in which he threw a career-high 29 interceptions and the offense was torn apart by injuries, the 36-year-old told ESPN at the end of January that he questioned his desire to play and maybe even his confidence at crunch time. Family was also an issue, with a daughter who will be in her last year of high school and relatives rebuilding from Katrina. Retirement seemed all but certain.

Now, Favre is patiently studying the Packers, who have endured tremendous turnover, from the coaching staff to the roster. Many analysts assert that Green Bay has done little to improve its team on offense in free agency. Favre said he was monitoring what Thompson was doing to improve the team and wanted to continue to see how things unfolded going into the season.

"There are a lot of reasons why I haven't made a decision yet," Favre said. "I know I still love the game."

Said Thompson: "I think Brett's just going through a decision-making process and all along I felt like he'll come up with a decision when he comes up with it. To gnash your teeth over it really doesn't do any good so we just try to go about our business."

If today comes and goes with no announcement from Favre, attention will turn to the draft April 29 and 30. The Packers have remained mostly idle in the free-agent quarterback market but with Craig Nall gone, they’ll almost have to take a college quarterback that weekend if Favre calls it quits.

But Thompson would not declare any such draft-day deadline for Favre.

"I'd rather not get into deadlines or anything like that," Thompson said. "I think all of us would like to know as soon as possible and I think Brett would, too."

Favre told the Sun Herald that if he does play in 2006, it will be his last season, news that would send NFL television programmers and ticket scalpers into motion almost immediately.

"I don’t know if I will play this year or not," Favre said. "Even Deanna is ready for my decision. If I do play this year, it will be my last. There’s no doubt about that."

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Looking back at articles in early 2005, I find that he basically says he will be back for 2005, and he waffles with the idea of it being his final season. I stand corrected that he stated outright that 2005 would be his last season, but there was a pretty strong implication. I should have written that he stated it in 2006 and strongly implied it in 2005. This implication for 2005 was bolstered by his comments later in the year that he didn't want to learn a new offensive system and that he would probably not be back if Sherman was fired.

Sources:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2005-06-05-favres-future_x.htm

Favre says he could play past 2005

GRAND CHUTE, Wis. (AP) — Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre said Sunday that next season may not be his last, and stepped up pressure on a holdout receiver to get back in the game.

After being serenaded by chants of "five more years" from a record crowd of 8,500 visitors to his charity softball game Sunday, Favre told reporters he hoped the family issues that made him contemplate retirement would be resolved.

"I hope off the field, within my family, that things go smoothly and I'm able to enjoy it a little bit more and my family is able to enjoy it. If that's the case, maybe I will be back," Favre said.

Favre spoke with local reporters for the first time since he announced in early March that he would be returning for a 15th NFL season.

He spoke at the sixth annual Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game, which was held to raise money for disadvantaged or disabled children in Wisconsin and Mississippi.

Favre's wife Deanna, who recently underwent five months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments for breast cancer, said her husband could play for "a couple of more" years.

Deanna Favre thanked coach Mike Sherman for keeping her husband off the field for mini training camps this spring.

"Just staying away and really focusing on family and working out has really helped," she said. "He's really excited about coming back. He's more excited this year than probably the last two or three."

The three-time NFL MVP quarterback also stepped up the pressure on Pro Bowl receiver Javon Walker, who has skipped both minicamps in spring and summer. Walker is demanding a new contract to replace one that has two years left on it.

Pro Bowl tight end Bubba Franks also has been a no-show because he has yet to sign a contract after being designated as the team's transition player.

"I hate to see that the game is going this way," Favre said. "I've heard a lot of comments saying, 'Well, Brett has his money and all this stuff.' Never once did I mention holdout."

"I believe, as the leader of this team, in some ways I have to be vocal," he said. "I've always been a quiet guy when it comes to things like that. But, I'm at the latter part of my career, and I want to win."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9021862

Favre not sure he has time, energy to learn new offense

Nov. 3, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- NFL star Brett Favre says he would be reluctant to return to Green Bay next season if Mike Sherman isn't still coaching the Packers.

The Packers (1-6) are off to their worst start since 1991, which has led to speculation about Sherman's future.

In an interview with the Associated Press on Thursday, Favre said Sherman's status would play an important role in his annual decision to keep on playing or to call it a career.

"I don't think there's one specific thing that would make me say yeah or no. It's just a culmination of a lot of different things, that being one of them," Favre said. "Maybe you're on the verge of saying yeah, and then you say, 'You know what, do I really want to sit in meetings and have to learn something all over again?'

"That could be the straw that breaks the camel's back."

General manager Ted Thompson, who has refused to comment on Sherman's future, was out of his office and didn't immediately return a call from the AP.

Sherman, who signed a two-year, $6.4 million contract extension on Aug. 23 that would take him through 2007, declined comment on Favre's remarks.

Favre, who turned 36 last month, previously has said he wouldn't want to finish his career in another uniform because he's too set in his ways to learn a new offense.

Favre, who was traded to the Packers in 1992 after a year in Atlanta, has spent his entire time in Green Bay, leading it to Super Bowl victory in 1996. He is the league's only three-time MVP.

"I think that I've been maybe the only player that's ever played 14 years in the same offense," he said. "This offense has evolved; it's something a little bit different, but I've been here through the evolution. No one else has. The downside of that is, it would be so hard for me to learn something new in a year. It would just be so difficult. I mean, it could be done. Anything can be done.

"It's no different than my first time in Tokyo, you're driving on the wrong side of the road and it was hell. And I didn't drive; I just rode."

Favre said he won't know about next season until the offseason, but the weekly grind of preparing for games wears on him more with each passing year.

"It could come down to some of the littlest things, what I'm willing to put myself through. I mean, if it was coming down to just games, I don't think nothing could pull me away from the games. I love to play. I love to play," Favre said.

"But you know, I know, it's not baseball, it's not basketball. You only play three hours a week. You spend all this time -- people think at home that I just show up on Sundays and we play. I'm here taking a damn nap here at lunch, spend all day and watch film at night. For three hours. And if it doesn't go your way, it's so disappointing all the time you've put into it."

Favre pondered retirement last winter while his wife, Deanna, was undergoing treatment for breast cancer, the latest in a long list of tragedies to strike the Favre family.

When Deanna recovered, she encouraged her husband to keep playing so they could enjoy the twilight of his career after two years of heartache.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Crap, I'm becoming more like Patler ....aka....nitpicking at fine facts :lol:

He seems to waver year after year; none of us are too fond of it.

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 07:49 PM
The bottom line is that Favre has played the "will I stay or will I go" routine for a number of years now, and as a result, he can't blame the team for preparing for the future rather than building around him. I think he has done it to himself.

I like that the team is already a year into a much-needed youth movement, and I think Favre might be surprised that young guys will step up and might even play as well as Randy Moss or some other declining vet would have done.

the_idle_threat
05-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Crap, I'm becoming more like Patler ....aka....nitpicking at fine facts :lol:

He seems to waver year after year; none of us are too fond of it.

I overstated my point a little bit and you rightly called me out on it. I'm glad you did, because a controversial point like mine needs to be stated very carefully.

I went from memory at first and then found that the sources didn't quite back it up. :oops: Happens to us all.

But I think the overall point is still quite valid. Just my opinion, of course.

MJZiggy
05-20-2007, 08:26 PM
The bottom line is that Favre has played the "will I stay or will I go" routine for a number of years now, and as a result, he can't blame the team for preparing for the future rather than building around him. I think he has done it to himself.

I like that the team is already a year into a much-needed youth movement, and I think Favre might be surprised that young guys will step up and might even play as well as Randy Moss or some other declining vet would have done.

It doesn't matter. Dude is 37 years old. They have to plan for the future no matter what he says.

son of a vic
05-20-2007, 09:43 PM

I think you need to find the "quote" where Favre started all the retirement talk back in 2000-2001. Favre responded to a question during an interview when asked whether or not he has thought about retirement yet. The media took it and ran with it and has been constantly bombarding him with the question since. If the media wouldn't have spun the shit into a soap opera, I doubt anything Favre has done since would have mattered. When he came back in 2005, it was after an embarrassing playoff loss to the Vikings. It wouldn't have mattered what he would have said to the media, it was all about retirement. In 2006, same thing. This year was about the only year that was ever in question because of how he ended his last game. Other then that, the media, not Favre has been keeping the whole thing going.

As far as any respect for 3T in regards to the issue, he doesn't want Favre but can't get rid of him without pissing everyone off. From day one he has done his best to make Favre retire. Favre knows this as does any life form with a pulse. He took Aaron Rodgers not because he wasn't sure on Favre but because he has a "plan" and it doesn't include Favre. Problem is, Favre has screwed up his "plan" so now it's a chess game to see who blinks first.

If 3T believes "we don't talk about those things", then why did 3T feed the media any Favre retirement crap?

If Favre would have just kept playing football, and not ping pong with the retirement chit chat, Rodgers isn't a Packer. And Ted would have drafted accordingly. Why is it so hard for some of you do admit Favre has dug his own grave with his grit eatin' pie hole.

cpk1994
05-22-2007, 05:54 AM

If Favre would have just kept playing football, and not ping pong with the retirement chit chat, Rodgers isn't a Packer. And Ted would have drafted accordingly. Why is it so hard for some of you do admit Favre has dug his own grave with his grit eatin' pie hole.

Its hard to admit for those people because in their eyes, Favre can do no wrong. At the same time, rationalizing it by saying that TT doesn't want Favre(which is a moronic statement in and of itself) it also feeds their hatred of TT. Favre started this whole mess by answering the first retirement question. If he had simply answered, "I am still playing football and when I decide to retire, I will let you know. Thats the last question I will take on that subject.", he would have stopped the media dead in its tracks.

MJZiggy
05-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Granted, by then it was too little too late, but that's exactly what he did last year.

Merlin
05-22-2007, 09:46 AM

Its hard to admit for those people because in their eyes, Favre can do no wrong. At the same time, rationalizing it by saying that TT doesn't want Favre(which is a moronic statement in and of itself) it also feeds their hatred of TT. Favre started this whole mess by answering the first retirement question. If he had simply answered, "I am still playing football and when I decide to retire, I will let you know. Thats the last question I will take on that subject.", he would have stopped the media dead in its tracks.

Time to newk two tools at once:

Fact: Favre did keep playing football.
Fact: Favre didn't bring up the retirement talk, the media won't let it go.
Fact: You aren't Favre so all of your "Favre should have said this" is nothing but 20/20 hindsight. At the time he probably thought the comment was innocent enough.
Fact: 3T is not well liked and one could call your support of 3T "moronic".
Fact: Calling what someone says "moronic" doesn't mean they are wrong. All it means is that you really have no ammunition to support your argument otherwise so you resort to name calling. Nice schoolyard bs.

cpk1994
05-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Time to newk two tools at once:

Fact: Favre did keep playing football.
Fact: Favre didn't bring up the retirement talk, the media won't let it go.
Fact: You aren't Favre so all of your "Favre should have said this" is nothing but 20/20 hindsight. At the time he probably thought the comment was innocent enough.
Fact: 3T is not well liked and one could call your support of 3T "moronic".
Fact: Calling what someone says "moronic" doesn't mean they are wrong. All it means is that you really have no ammunition to support your argument otherwise so you resort to name calling. Nice schoolyard bs.

You claim I have no ammunition when you barely bring any to the table yourself?
First, I want to see your proof that TT doesn't want Favre. Go ahead. SHow me. Find me a quote. 'Im waiting. Second, not counting the people on this board, show me proof that TT is not well liked. I think the best you'll come up with is an approval rating at about 50%. Doesn't mean not well liked. While I wait for something you'll never come up with, I'll give you some other facts:

Fact: Brett could have stopped the retirement talk at any time. He didn't until last year.

Fact: Chris Mortensen went down to Mississippi to interview Favre about Super Bowl XL, and Brett turned it into an interview about his retirement decision. Mort was shocked because he hadn't even asked about it and never intended to. But I guess its the media that can't let it go huh?

Fact: I don't personally care for TT. But unlike you, I am willing to give him a chance and will rant against him when I feel he did something wrong instead of giving him no credit and turing everything he does into another reason that he should be fired.

Fact: I like Favre, but unlike you I don't worship him or believe he can do no wrong and question anybody who tries to.

It is very ironic that you call out "schoolyyard BS" for name calling when you started off by calling me a "tool". I think the word to describe you would be "hypocritcal".

packinpatland
05-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Starting to sound abit too much like that 'other' forum around here. :roll:

cpk1994
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM

Sorry, forgot to take my Prozac today. :)

woodbuck27
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM

You would have made a fine lawyer. :)

son of a vic
05-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Sounds like a healthy debate to me. No one's mother's name has been defamed, and nobody has played the "Kool-aid Kard".

God bless America!

Jimx29
05-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Time to newk two tools at once:.............................Fact: Calling what someone says "moronic" doesn't mean they are wrong. All it means is that you really have no ammunition to support your argument otherwise so you resort to name calling. Nice schoolyard bs.And "Newking two tools"/fellow members is........ :?:

son of a vic
07-12-2008, 04:22 PM
the dates have changed but the story remains the same.

twoseven
07-12-2008, 04:31 PM

That's because he's an idiot.Stop picking on TO. He's just very sensitive and misunderstood. :lol: It's unfair, that's my teammate.. :cry:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PNO6On7cK1M
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/terrell_owens_crying.jpg