PDA

View Full Version : Saints rookies show up at minicamp out of shape

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Saints rookies show up at minicamp out of shape
By Chris Neubauer, Pro Football Weekly

It looks like the NFL has another off-the-field problem on its hands.

This one has nothing to do with strip clubs, guns or drunken driving, thankfully.

The NFL has an eating disorder. Too much food consumption, to be exact, and it’s causing rookies to show up at their first minicamps overweight and out of shape.

Take Saints first-round pick Robert Meachem. Expectations were sky-high for the former Tennessee wideout when he arrived at the Saints’ practice facility last weekend. He was drafted as Joe Horn’s replacement, plain and simple. Sure, he must beat out veterans Devery Henderson and Terrance Copper for Horn’s old post, but Henderson and Copper are speed bumps, not roadblocks.

Meachem was supposed to dazzle from Day One. Instead, he wheezed.

Meachem blames all the pre-draft visits he made to NFL teams for padding his belly and getting him off the workout wagon. He visited nine teams before the draft. For each team, he would perform an on-the-field workout during the day. And at night, the teams would wine and dine him. Nine cities. Nine restaurants. He made a rookie mistake: He dined too much.

I think each team was testing Meachem with its fancy meals. He probably would have been drafted earlier if he had uttered these three words: Hold the dessert.

"I took a lot of visits with teams before the draft, and everyplace you go, they give you a big meal,” Meachem confessed. “For me, I tried to work out when I could, but I don't think I got enough workouts in."

In Meachem’s defense, sources tell me that it was unseasonably warm on Day One of Saints minicamp.

Saints fans can take solace in this fact: WR Marques Colston showed up at his first rookie minicamp out of shape and overweight. Colston performed so poorly that he feared he would not receive an invitation to the full-squad minicamp the next month.

But at least Colston, the runner-up for Rookie of the Year honors last season, arrived last May with lower expectations. He was a seventh-round pick, after all.

To add injury to insult, Meachem also tweaked his ankle on Day Two of minicamp. Reggie Bush can sympathize with Meachem. Last year’s first-round pick also suffered an injury at his first minicamp. Bush injured his hamstring.

“I got hurt stretching,” Bush said.

But rotund Robert wasn’t the biggest bust at the Saints’ minicamp. That honor goes to undrafted rookie Walter Thomas. You’ve probably heard Thomas’ story. He is a physical marvel — a nimble 6-foot-5, 375-pound behemoth. Thomas was kicked out of Oklahoma State after one year and wound up at Northwest Mississippi Community College, where he played in two games. Not your average Sean Payton-era Saint.

Thomas completed 12 minutes of practice before taking off his helmet and calling it a day.

“He had a brief career," Payton said.

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
We are already getting reports that the guy that Bretsky wanted the Packers to take in round 1 is looking chubby.
:D

I just wanted to get that out there.

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I thought the part about Walter Thomas was pretty funny. Maybe he spent too much time sampling the cuisine in the French Quarter.

pbmax
05-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Curse of Bretsky? I do remember the Odell Thurman promotion. Peter King had him at 18 pounds overweight in his MMQB.

Did Bretsky like Super Mario last year? :lol:

And is it possible for Sean Payton to have an "era" after one year?

LL2
05-21-2007, 08:45 AM
All TT needs to do is see who Bretsky will pick and then pick someone else and we get a good player.

Packnut
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Is'nt it a little to early to be judging a pick? Geez, our guy can't even play cause of his injury.

Zool
05-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I think the idea here is to poke at B a little for fun.

Fritz
05-21-2007, 09:40 AM
It's never too early to judge a pick. Look how people booed the Justin Harrell pick before he even held the jersey up.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Curse of Bretsky? I do remember the Odell Thurman promotion. Peter King had him at 18 pounds overweight in his MMQB.

Did not like Super Mario that much as much as most

For the record I loved AJ Hawk

Hated Rodgers (wanted Odell Thurman) and Carroll (wanted Chris Gamble or Ben Troupe)

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2007, 11:53 AM

Hated Rodgers (wanted Odell Thurman) and Carroll (wanted Chris Gamble or Ben Troupe)

Well, it goes just beyond first round picks. You wanted the Packers to keep their pick in round 2 last year, and you wanted them to take Chad Jackson.

swede
05-21-2007, 12:04 PM

As I recall, Brestsky wrote AJ Hawk in ginormous letters and exclamation points as a way of displaying his enthusiastic approval of Hawk's pick mere moments after the selection.

Of course, Mario had been safely signed a day or two before.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Well, it goes just beyond first round picks. You wanted the Packers to keep their pick in round 2 last year, and you wanted them to take Chad Jackson.

Now you are twisting the facts to suit your cause :lol:

If you explore your memory a bit more you'll remember I wasnted TT to keep Javon Walker and take nothing less than a 1st for him or try to mend the fences.

But you are right; I liked Jackson better than Jennings.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Full disclosure act: I've missed on a lot of guys also. Maybe I'm just not as adamant about getting those guys as one Bretsky.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Full disclosure act: I've missed on a lot of guys also. Maybe I'm just not as adamant about getting those guys as one Bretsky.

If there is one thing I do it's put my views out there; sometimes that works and sometimes not.

May the Snapper prove me wrong again

Cheers,
B

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
If he proves you wrong will you stop calling him the Snapper? I swear that one's worse than Polar Bear! :no:

LL2
05-21-2007, 12:58 PM
If he proves you wrong will you stop calling him the Snapper? I swear that one's worse than Polar Bear! :no:

I don't think anyone on here can do worse than the Tank's Polar Bear mantra.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 12:59 PM

He's no longer the Snapper when he brings a Super Bowl Title to Green Bay.

No sooner

And he's taking his slow motion snapping time to do that :lol:

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 01:01 PM
You do like your immediate gratification, don't you?

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 01:03 PM
You do like your immediate gratification, don't you?

I'm an instant gratification kindaguy :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM

Just ask his wife.
:P

Scott Campbell
05-21-2007, 02:38 PM

Just ask his wife.
:P

Hmmm. TT and Bretsky. The tortoise and the hare (trigger).

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Didn't Bretsky want the Packers to use a supplemental pick on this guy also?
:evil:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2877610

COVINGTON, Ky. -- Linebacker A.J. Nicholson was waived by the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, hours after he pleaded not guilty to a charge that he hit his girlfriend. She insists she accidentally hit herself with a cell phone, and police misread what happened.

Nicholson was charged with misdemeanor assault Friday, and despite his girlfriend's claim the case will go forward. He remains free on $5,000 bond and a pretrial hearing was set for May 31.

Nicholson was a fifth-round draft pick from Florida State in 2006 but played in only two games because of a hamstring injury.

His arrest was the first of a Bengals player since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell cracked down on misconduct last month. He already was one of nine Bengals players arrested during a nine-month span.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 03:43 PM

COVINGTON, Ky. -- Linebacker A.J. Nicholson was waived by the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, hours after he pleaded not guilty to a charge that he hit his girlfriend. She insists she accidentally hit herself with a cell phone, and police misread what happened.

Nicholson was charged with misdemeanor assault Friday, and despite his girlfriend's claim the case will go forward. He remains free on $5,000 bond and a pretrial hearing was set for May 31.

Nicholson was a fifth-round draft pick from Florida State in 2006 but played in only two games because of a hamstring injury.

His arrest was the first of a Bengals player since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell cracked down on misconduct last month. He already was one of nine Bengals players arrested during a nine-month span.

Me thinks you are developing amnesia in your old age :lol:

Just because I'm a shady guy doesn't mean I want them all in GB

The DL was the guy I was interested in for supplemental pick; can't remember his name anymore.

pbmax
05-21-2007, 05:00 PM
The DL guy was Manny Wright and he's in hot water in Miami for being out of shape. Actually, the water seems cooler now that he's been cut.

For the record, to take some heat off the Curse Of Bretsky, I try to resist endorsing picks as I have learned through long experience (Webster Slaughter) that I don't have any idea about college players in the pros.

The DL was the guy I was interested in for supplemental pick; can't remember his name anymore.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 05:03 PM
The DL guy was Manny Wright and he's in hot water in Miami for being out of shape. Actually, the water seems cooler now that he's been cut.

For the record, to take some heat off the Curse Of Bretsky, I try to resist endorsing picks as I have learned through long experience (Webster Slaughter) that I don't have any idea about college players in the pros.

No, the last Supp pick I really liked was somebody else. Was their a DL named Curry coming out in the past couple years ? He was a DL who converted to LB I think. Very talented risk reward guy. That's it, I'm going to look for the guy

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
HERE'S THE GUY I WAS INTRIGUED BY

Bengals take Brooks in supplemental draft Click here to find out more!

(July 13, 2006) -- Linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who starred at Virginia for three seasons but was kicked off the team by coach Al Groh, was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the third round of the NFL's supplemental draft.

Brooks, a first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference linebacker as a sophomore, was also a finalist for the Butkus Award given to the nation's top linebacker in 2004.

But he played only six games last season because of injury, then was dropped by the team just before spring practice this year. He subsequently applied for the draft.

Groh, the former head coach of the New York Jets and a longtime NFL assistant, did not specify the reason for the dismissal.

Six other players who applied for the supplemental draft were not chosen.

The Bengals, who used the 22nd pick of the third round to take Brooks, forfeit their third-round choice in the 2007 draft.

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Is there going to be a supplemental draft this year? I haven't heard a thing about it.

the_idle_threat
05-21-2007, 11:02 PM

She's sticking with this story, because she doesn't want her "cell phone" to hit her again. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Is there going to be a supplemental draft this year? I haven't heard a thing about it.

Have no fear; your hero won't give up a draft pick anyways unless he can get first round talent for a fifth rounder :roll: :lol:

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Didn't we pick up someone in the Supp draft not too long ago? Who was that?

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 11:23 PM

Ron Wolf picked up Mike Wahle a while back

OS PA
05-21-2007, 11:30 PM

Some kid named Mike Wahle..

Partial
05-21-2007, 11:39 PM

Ahmed Brooks

MJZiggy
05-22-2007, 07:24 AM

Some kid named Mike Wahle..

I thought there was someone after him. Guess I was mistaken.

LL2
06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Meacham misses more time. Are you glad TT didn't draft him now?

A rookie's hard lesson

Out-of-shape Meachem sits out practice with injury

Posted: Sunday June 3, 2007 9:52PM; Updated: Sunday June 3, 2007 9:52PM

METAIRIE, La. (AP) -- Saints first-round draft choice Robert Meachem sat out the final practice of minicamp on Sunday afternoon with a white bandage wrapped around the lower part of his right leg.
He did not speak to reporters coming off the field, nor did head coach Sean Payton. Team spokesman Greg Bensel said Payton would discuss the matter later, possibly on Monday.
Meachem, selected 27th overall in this year's draft out of Tennessee, also missed part of minicamp with a sprained left ankle and was criticized at that time by Payton for being out of shape.
Meachem has since lost weight and was able to participate in four of the five minicamp practices.
Quarterback Drew Brees said Sunday that he does not yet think he's seen Meachem's full potential, but has high hopes for him.
"I like him," Brees said. "I think he's been real hampered by his ankle and that sort of thing, but I think he's got a lot of talent. I really like the way he catches the ball. He attacks it, and I think he's going to be a big run-after-catch kind of guy. He's going to be big and physical, kind of hard to bring down, kind of like a (Marques) Colston. So I think he'll add a nice dimension to our offense."