View Full Version : Corey Williams and Misc Packer TC info

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Facing a new challenge
Williams will vie with top pick
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: May 19, 2007

Green Bay - Corey Williams felt as if he had his coming-out party in 2006. That's why Williams admits he's surprised the Green Bay Packers went looking for a party crasher.

Williams, a fourth-year defensive tackle, was second on the Packers with seven sacks a year ago. He also was respectable against the run and emerged as one of Green Bay's bright, young talents.

To the astonishment of many, though - including Williams - the Packers chose defensive tackle Justin Harrell in the first round of the draft last month.

"At first, I was like, 'Oh, they took a D-tackle. Whoa!' " Williams said. "But it didn't change my mind or my feelings or make me feel different to anybody in the organization. It just let me know I have to step my game up. I've just got to come out here and continue to do what Corey can do."

A year ago, the 6-foot-4, 325-pound Williams showed what he could do. An on-and-off starter the first half of the year, Williams exploded with three sacks in just 18 snaps at Buffalo in Week 8.

The athletic Williams then started the final eight games and made a nice partner for beefy nose tackle Ryan Pickett.

Harrell recently said he has every intention of starting when the season begins, and if that were to occur, Williams would likely be the odd man out. Williams was told of Harrell's comments and welcomed the challenge.

"That's a motivator to me," said Williams, a sixth-round draft choice from Arkansas State in 2004. "He's a young guy, and I like his attitude. That's the kind of attitude you should have.

"I respect him for having that attitude, but it's going to be a battle. And I don't plan on losing that battle."

Williams is in the final year of his contract and admits the selection of Harrell has him wondering about his future. Williams said there have been "minor" discussions between the Packers and his agent, Jeffrey Courtney, but the two sides have only begun talks.

"I've thought about my future, and I really want to be a Packer for life," Williams said. "I love it here, I love my teammates, the history and just the fans. There's no other place like it. I hope and pray that they'd like to keep me around. I hope they do my deal this year and that they want to do a long-term deal."

Changing of the guard? For the second straight day, tight end Donald Lee took most of the snaps with the No. 1 offense. Where exactly that leaves Bubba Franks is unclear. He who signed a seven-year, $28 million contract two summers ago but has been a major disappointment since.

"The money, as coaches, I don't really look at the budget," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "I really don't have any idea what Bubba's salary is to be quite honest with you. I'm just looking for a guy that can perform and produce and be consistent at that position.

"If you ask Bubba, he would probably say he wasn't quite the player (last year) he was the last couple of years. So, hey, we'll see how everybody responds to the situation. From what I see from the two practices we've had, it looks like he's working hard. I'm sure he's going to be battling for the job."

Ouch: Wide receiver Chris Francies missed practice with a thumb injury and will be out the rest of this minicamp. Francies had a soft cast on his right hand after getting hit while running a seam route Friday.

"I got hit by one of the safeties," Francies said. "I don't even know which one."

Running back Brandon Jackson continues to fulfill an NFL obligation in Los Angeles. And offensive tackle ChadClifton sat out after taking part in Friday's practice.

Other injured players not participating Saturday included Harrell, safety Marviel Underwood, running backs ArlissBeach and DeShawn Wynn, linebackers Abdul Hodge and Marcus Randall, tight end Zac Alcorn, guards Tony Palmer and Jason Spitz, tackle Kevin Barry, defensive ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and wideout RobertFerguson.

All aboard: Philbin was asked if any veterans had been excused for the final day of minicamp.

"Not that I'm aware of," he said. "I certainly haven't given anybody the day off. If I've got to be here . . ."

Odds and ends: Cornerback Charles Woodson, who tied for the NFC lead with eight interceptions in 2006, said he won't attend the Packers' 12 organized team activities that run in May and June. The OTAs are not mandatory. Woodson was not on the field in the afternoon practice. . . . Rookie third-round wideout James Jones had the play of the day, beating Charlie Peprah and Tramon Williams for a long touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers. . . . With Clifton out, Josh Bourke and later Orrin Thompson played left tackle with the No. 1 offense. . . . In the afternoon practice Saturday, Al Harris watched and did not participate.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Williams was drafted in 2004, right?

That means this is his 4th year and I think they have him as a restricted free agent next year. There is no rush but I don't want to see him hit the UFA market. I would be disappointed in that. I think teams should have 3 starting DT's if at all possible because 3 will play starters minutes with the rotations.

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Williams is about the only key player on the team in the last year of his contract, so there will be plenty of room to sign him. Using extra cap money to re-sign his own players has been TT's M.O. If Harrell is everything TT thinks he is, this could be about as good a group of DT's as there is in the league.

Good to see James Jones making an impression. If Jones can be this year's Jennings, the talk about Brett having no weapons should subside.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Starter Schmarter. Who cares.

They can rotate a fresh guy in regularly. There is plenty of PT for 3 good DT's.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Williams was drafted in 2004, right?

That means this is his 4th year and I think they have him as a restricted free agent next year. There is no rush but I don't want to see him hit the UFA market. I would be disappointed in that. I think teams should have 3 starting DT's if at all possible because 3 will play starters minutes with the rotations.

Plz don't backtrack on your statement that you'd be critical of TT if he did not resign Williams when I suggested the Harrell pick might be a pre-cursor to letting this guy walk.