PDA

View Full Version : Fergy At A Crossroads (Again!)

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 09:29 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=607970

Ferguson comes to the crossroads
Oft-injured receiver battling for a job
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 19, 2007

Green Bay - Robert Ferguson is beyond frustrated. He knows a lot of people have low expectations of him.

He suspects that memories of brilliant catches are the only threads holding him to his NFL career in Green Bay.

And he's sure his body simply cannot fail him again.

Despite all that, Ferguson was relatively upbeat Saturday in the locker room considering he has finished the last three seasons on the sidelines with an injury.

While it certainly works out to Ferguson's advantage that the Green Bay Packers do not have the services of Randy Moss or Koren Robinson, the six-year veteran signed through the 2008 season is unquestionably at a major crossroads.

Once again, he is not on the Don Hutson practice field for much other than light drill work during the Packers minicamp, which began Friday and concludes today, because everyone is being cautious about his recovery from a serious foot injury last season.

"This is definitely a pivotal point in my career," Ferguson said. "I'd be näive not to say that. Everything that's happened the last three or four years with those drafted wideouts, it points toward somebody getting replaced. Who that is, you know, I feel like it's me.

"I feel like my back is against the wall. And I feel great. I haven't played a full year in three years so I'm as fresh as ever. I feel like a free-agent rookie coming in here, just eager to learn, ready to get on the field."

That has pretty much been the story of Ferguson's NFL career: injuries and anticipation of what he might do.

Ferguson injured his foot against Philadelphia Oct. 2, tried to come back a week later and aggravated it. His season was shelved when he was put on injured reserve Oct. 23.

It was just the latest injury for the 6-1, now 220-pound receiver: knee in 2005; head and neck in 2004 from a devastating clothesline tackle; knee, ankle, Achilles tendon and concussion in 2003; back, hamstring and quadriceps in 2001. The only season he has played all 16 games was in 2002.

Having been down the hall to the trainer's room so many times before, last season was his breaking point mentally. Ferguson had to get away from the game. So he left Green Bay and went home to Houston, where he threw himself into father mode, pored over game film and football playbooks, put on 15 pounds of muscle and plotted his comeback.

It's the only thing that has kept him going, that and the fact that general manager Ted Thompson has given him a longer-than-usual plank on which to walk.

"There's a lot of people surprised I'm sticking around?" Ferguson said with a laugh. "Well, I'm obviously doing something right. I'm not out there just for my looks. So I just continue to do what I've been doing, just working hard, and hopefully I'll stick around for a little longer.

"No one expects me to go out and be a No. 1 wideout. I'd love to see everyone be like, 'Wow, he proved them wrong.' That's why I'm busting my butt."

In six years, Ferguson has played in just 60 games (starting 26). In that same span, Donald Driver has played in 92 games. But last year was Ferguson's lowest production since his rookie year - five receptions in four games.

"I haven't even touched my potential," said Ferguson. "I showed flashes of it in '03, when we went to the playoffs and (I) had the big game in the playoffs, but I really haven't shown much since then. So I haven't even tapped into my potential as far as what I can do."

Ferguson was referring to the NFC game at Philadelphia, when he caught touchdown passes of 40 and 17 yards, giving Green Bay an early 14-0 lead in a game it would eventually lose.

There's not much else the coaches can say about Ferguson until they get to see him play. He says he's 80% healed and hoping to participate in the June minicamp.

"You've got to appreciate No. 1 that he's a veteran," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "And he's been here for the (individual workouts), so that shows a lot about him character-wise. We've been real pleased about that. I'm sure he's a little frustrated. We're anxious to get him out on the field and let him compete."

Aware that he can't change his past, Ferguson changed his number from 89 to 87. It's about the number '7'. He wore No. 7 in junior college. The year is 2007. His daughter will be 7 years old this year. Seven is supposed to be a lucky number.

"Yeah, it is. Hey, I need some," Ferguson said. "I've definitely had my share of bad luck, so I'm due for some good luck."

I can't see him making it unless the Packers keep 6 WR's. His special teams play gives him an outside chance.

Scott Campbell
05-20-2007, 10:20 AM
"I haven't even touched my potential," said Ferguson. "I showed flashes of it in '03, when we went to the playoffs and (I) had the big game in the playoffs, but I really haven't shown much since then."

03?

Feels like 1803.

oregonpackfan
05-20-2007, 10:27 AM
There are many Packer fans, including me, who would love to see Fergy stay healthy and have a productive '07 season.

History, however, shows that his body just can't measure up to the rigors of pro football. While the Packers should give him a chance this fall, if he ends up injured again, the Packers need to cut Fergy for good.

MTPackerfan
05-20-2007, 10:45 AM
I think he will be gone this year, cut loose.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Let's start getting the rally cry together for the Fraud.

One More Year
One More Year
One More Year
One More Year
One More Year

:bang:

retailguy
05-20-2007, 01:13 PM

One More Year
One More Year
One More Year
One More Year
One More Year

that's the Spirit! this is his year..... I can feel it! He'll be injured WEEK 2 this year!! :x

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I hope nobody thinks I started this thread just to torment Bretsky. :whist:

Iron Mike
05-20-2007, 03:30 PM

One More Year

http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/sign0053.gif

BallHawk
05-20-2007, 04:20 PM
"I feel like my back is against the wall. And I feel great. I haven't played a full year in three years so I'm as fresh as ever.

He's using the fact that he's injury-prone as a positive? Wow.

Just put him out of his misery, Ted.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 10:04 PM
This has been rehashed a few times but...

Driver
Jennings

Any order:
Holliday, Martin, Jones

Clowney

I don't see Fergy beating those guys. They acctually seem to do something when given the chance *rookies just get a chnace cuz their rookies.*

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 10:08 PM
This has been rehashed a few times but...

Driver
Jennings

Any order:
Holliday, Martin, Jones

Clowney

I don't see Fergy beating those guys. They acctually seem to do something when given the chance *rookies just get a chnace cuz their rookies.*

Boddiford was a guy we all forgot about; not sure where he fits but my he showed some flahshes as a returner and WR last year

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 10:21 PM
It's what is fascinating about this team. NOBODY knows how the team will do this year. One thing that everybody has to admit is that there is intriguing young talent on the team. The pro-Thompson people say that there's so much young talent on the team that somebody is bound to step up at most positions. But, we thought somebody would step up two years ago at OG, and it was a disaster. (Although I think there's more talent at almot every position group over that year's OG group). The anti-Thompson people are nervous about not getting guys THEY feel would improve the team. Which may or may not improve the team--because we know how many FAs have failed. Also, the DL group a couple of years ago looked like a weakness, but young guys like Jenkins and Williams stepped up, and Kampman became a stud. So, neither group can say that their opinion is right, and feel 100% sure that it's that way. Well, not if they were honest with themselves.

Partial
05-20-2007, 11:29 PM
It's what is fascinating about this team. NOBODY knows how the team will do this year. One thing that everybody has to admit is that there is intriguing young talent on the team. The pro-Thompson people say that there's so much young talent on the team that somebody is bound to step up at most positions. But, we thought somebody would step up two years ago at OG, and it was a disaster. (Although I think there's more talent at almot every position group over that year's OG group). The anti-Thompson people are nervous about not getting guys THEY feel would improve the team. Which may or may not improve the team--because we know how many FAs have failed. Also, the DL group a couple of years ago looked like a weakness, but young guys like Jenkins and Williams stepped up, and Kampman became a stud. So, neither group can say that their opinion is right, and feel 100% sure that it's that way. Well, not if they were honest with themselves.

Post of the month!!! You hit the nail directly on the head.

MadtownPacker
05-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah that is a good post but nothing is facinating about Fergie. He needs to go and he needs to go yesterday. Reading articles about him makes me sick. He has alot of gut bringing up the playoff game in '03. Can his ass.

Fritz
05-21-2007, 09:38 AM
I had a great basketball pick-up game back in '95. Scored every time I touched the ball, had a slew of boards, blocked eight or nine shots.

I've been hurt mostly since, so I'm fresh. I'll be great this year!

Merlin
05-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know why he hasn't been released? We let Henderson go who made less money, was on the field more and made a much bigger impact on any success the team has had and we kept Ferguson?

I mean really, is he 3T's love interest?

Joemailman
05-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Having Fergy there is one more guy to provide competition, which is what everybody strives for in training camp. IF TT decides to keep 6 WR's, Fergy's special teams skills could possibly land him on the team (Sorry Bretsky), especially if some of the younger guys aren't doing the job on special teams.

packrulz
05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
How soon people forget. I remember the big third down catches Fergy has made over the years, not to mention his great special teams play. Sherman drafted him and I wanted Chambers too but I still think Fergy is pretty darn good, I hope he makes you all regret giving up on him too soon.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 03:40 PM
How soon people forget. I remember the big third down catches Fergy has made over the years, not to mention his great special teams play. Sherman drafted him and I wanted Chambers too but I still think Fergy is pretty darn good, I hope he makes you all regret giving up on him too soon.

I think you are duplicating memories of similar plays on third down :lol: Fergy was never that good, and his play on specials was exaggerated. Patler bought out swarms of details regarding his special team play. He was solid there, but no star.

Fergie has failed us six years now; how much more time do we give him ?

packrulz
05-21-2007, 03:58 PM
In the past 4 years he has never had below a 13 yd receiving avg, in the playoffs it was 11.3, in 2004 he had 21 kick returns for 526 yds and a 25 yd avg. Yea, Fergy sucks, lets dump him.

The Leaper
05-21-2007, 04:16 PM
This guy has had more chances at life than Morris the cat. To this point, he's failed EVERY TIME.

I see no reason to believe he suddenly is going to turn on a light switch. He doesn't have the fire. He doesn't have the capacity. He's nothing more than a tease.

I could see the reason for support if he had a 1000 yard or 10 TD season somewhere in his past...something that showed he might have the ability to be a reliable starter.

In reality...that just is not there, and the massive amount of cap space we have will be partially used to terminate one more failed Sherman draft pick. We have other guys with plenty more potential and desire.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 04:24 PM
In the past 4 years he has never had below a 13 yd receiving avg, in the playoffs it was 11.3, in 2004 he had 21 kick returns for 526 yds and a 25 yd avg. Yea, Fergy sucks, lets dump him.

Funny that you would use one stat to make this argument; here is a more clear picture of his contributions

2001 - 1 GAME-NO STATS- Was inactive for first 9 games and he was NOT hurt; he was immature and not good enough to be active on gameday

2002- 16 Games-16 Catches (ONE per GAME) for 293 yards
2003- 15 Games 38 Catches (WOW, OVER TWO PER GAME) 520 Yards
2004- 13 Games 24 Catches (career is frickin sprouting now) 367 Yards
2005- 11 Games 27 Catches (back over 2 a Game again :huh: )366 Yards
2006- 4 Games 5 Catches 31 Yards

CAREER 60 Games 116 Catches 1577 Yards 12 TD's

Less than 2 Catches a Game and Less than 30 Yards a game; sure am happy he averages over 13 yards per catch :roll:

packrulz
05-21-2007, 04:30 PM
This guy has had more chances at life than Morris the cat. To this point, he's failed EVERY TIME.

I see no reason to believe he suddenly is going to turn on a light switch. He doesn't have the fire. He doesn't have the capacity. He's nothing more than a tease.

I could see the reason for support if he had a 1000 yard or 10 TD season somewhere in his past...something that showed he might have the ability to be a reliable starter.

In reality...that just is not there, and the massive amount of cap space we have will be partially used to terminate one more failed Sherman draft pick. We have other guys with plenty more potential and desire.

I refuse to cut a guy if he's hurt, granted Fergy is hurt a lot, but when healthy he's been productive. He has the desire and has been busting his ass to get in shape, he's a 3rd WR so how is he supposed to get 1,000 yds and 10 TD's?

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
KICKOFF RETURNS- NOTHING SPECIAL AS WELL

G # YDS AVG LONG TD
2001 Green Bay Packers 1 2 32 16.0 16 0
2002 Green Bay Packers 16 6 113 18.8 25 0
2003 Green Bay Packers 15 7 148 21.1 31 0
2004 Green Bay Packers 13 21 526 25.0 71 0
2005 Green Bay Packers 11 2 44 22.0 22 0
2006 Green Bay Packers 4 5 110 22.0 26 0

4and12to12and4
05-21-2007, 04:45 PM

I think you are duplicating memories of similar plays on third down :lol: Fergy was never that good, and his play on specials was exaggerated. Patler bought out swarms of details regarding his special team play. He was solid there, but no star.

Numbers aren't everything Bretsky, and ANYONE who actually WATCHES and UNDERSTANDS watch they're watching knows that when on the field, Fergy's two biggest problems (excluding the injuries, obviously, and I'm not arguing here whether or not he can stay healthy) were:

1. Detaching himself from his defender and becoming an "open" target for Brett.

2. Brett actually throwing him the ball every once in a while.

I tvo'd the games last year, and until his injury, as i rewatched MANY plays, Fergy was as open if not more open than the receiver Brett chose to go to (usually DD or Jennings). In fact, on the slant play that Jennings caught off of a tip and weaved 70plus yards for a TD, Fergy was running a slant on the outside and was actually more open than Jennings on that play. As in many, many, many plays Brett did the ol' glance at Fergy as soon as he started his backstride before ANY of the receivers had even passed the line of scrimmage, and never looked back. Now, I am not blaming Brett for this, everyone that has followed brett all these years knows that he throws very exclusively to guys he trusts especially on first and second down, and third down becomes more of a free for all because Brett buys himself more time and makes things happen, even if they are forced. This is why Fergy had so many third down catches when healthy, Brett was going back through his reads again by the time he got to Fergy and would then throw him the ball.

As far as special teams goes, give me all the numbers you want, i can say this about Fergy, he busted his ass on EVERY kickoff to get to the returner, and usually was the first or second guy down there. He also busts his ass on running plays and all other plays in terms of blocking, etc.. So, say what you will about him these years, one thing for sure is that he has put 100% out there every play, and THAT IS WHY HE IS STILL ON THE ROSTER. Those kinds of players are hard to find. If he ever stays healthy and can gain Brett's trust, he could put on a show out there, his ability has always been there.

OK, I did it. I put my head and neck out there guys. Go ahead, take a swing, and chop her off in one solid stroke, so as to eliminate the suffering as much as possible. You're mercy is appreciated. :)

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Nice post 4and12 and it makes sense, but it doesn't mean a thing if the dude can't stay healthy. We'll see what happens when and if the foot heals up.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 04:58 PM

Numbers aren't everything Bretsky, and ANYONE who actually WATCHES and UNDERSTANDS watch they're watching knows that when on the field, Fergy's two biggest problems (excluding the injuries, obviously, and I'm not arguing here whether or not he can stay healthy) were:

1. Detaching himself from his defender and becoming an "open" target for Brett.

2. Brett actually throwing him the ball every once in a while.

I tvo'd the games last year, and until his injury, as i rewatched MANY plays, Fergy was as open if not more open than the receiver Brett chose to go to (usually DD or Jennings). In fact, on the slant play that Jennings caught off of a tip and weaved 70plus yards for a TD, Fergy was running a slant on the outside and was actually more open than Jennings on that play. As in many, many, many plays Brett did the ol' glance at Fergy as soon as he started his backstride before ANY of the receivers had even passed the line of scrimmage, and never looked back. Now, I am not blaming Brett for this, everyone that has followed brett all these years knows that he throws very exclusively to guys he trusts especially on first and second down, and third down becomes more of a free for all because Brett buys himself more time and makes things happen, even if they are forced. This is why Fergy had so many third down catches when healthy, Brett was going back through his reads again by the time he got to Fergy and would then throw him the ball.

As far as special teams goes, give me all the numbers you want, i can say this about Fergy, he busted his ass on EVERY kickoff to get to the returner, and usually was the first or second guy down there. He also busts his ass on running plays and all other plays in terms of blocking, etc.. So, say what you will about him these years, one thing for sure is that he has put 100% out there every play, and THAT IS WHY HE IS STILL ON THE ROSTER. Those kinds of players are hard to find. If he ever stays healthy and can gain Brett's trust, he could put on a show out there, his ability has always been there.

OK, I did it. I put my head and neck out there guys. Go ahead, take a swing, and chop her off in one solid stroke, so as to eliminate the suffering as much as possible. You're mercy is appreciated. :)

Numbers don't lie either or bring in bias opinions. What the numbers show is Feruson has failed to produce.

Fergie has a lot more problems than the two you listed. I'd agree that #1 and #2 are problems. But despite his frame he doesn't go hard after the ball. If you recall his play and understand what you are watching I don't need to point out a couple obvious examples of this. Yes, there are clear examples of why a QB would not want to rely on Robert Ferguson.

One of the reasons Favre trusted Javon Walker so much was Walker would effectively turn into a DB and prevent the INT on poor throws. Ferguson goes up and loses that battle all too often when things are even; he clearly lacks that skill.

I've never said he doesn't give 100%; I just pointed out that he teases with a play or two every preseason and then fails to produce. I don't get wow'd by his talent like you appear to at all. He's just a guy, and a guy that doesn't stay healthy or produce.

I'll be surprised if he makes the roster this year.

packrulz
05-21-2007, 05:03 PM

Funny that you would use one stat to make this argument; here is a more clear picture of his contributions

2001 - 1 GAME-NO STATS- Was inactive for first 9 games and he was NOT hurt; he was immature and not good enough to be active on gameday

Less than 2 Catches a Game and Less than 30 Yards a game; sure am happy he averages over 13 yards per catch :roll:

First of all, Fergy is the 3rd WR, he's not going to get the ball as much as Driver, so it's tough for him to jack up the stats if Favre isn't throwing to him. I know Fergy has made some big 3rd down catches, I can't find the stats but I do remember him doing it. 13 yd AVG is pretty damn good, Bretsky, as a career avg. I notice you didn't put in his kick return yds or his 25 yd return avg. Oh yea, his SP play is overrated, well the Pack could use 25 yds on KR right now. I'd be the first to say let him go if he was lazy, stupid, or just a bust, but I don't think he is. I say let him get healthy and battle for a spot.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 05:07 PM

First of all, Fergy is the 3rd WR, he's not going to get the ball as much as Driver, so it's tough for him to jack up the stats if Favre isn't throwing to him. I know Fergy has made some big 3rd down catches, I can't find the stats but I do remember him doing it. 13 yd AVG is pretty damn good, Bretsky, as a career avg. I notice you didn't put in his kick return yds or his 25 yd return avg. Oh yea, his SP play is overrated, well the Pack could use 25 yds on KR right now. I'd be the first to say let him go if he was lazy, stupid, or just a bust, but I don't think he is. I say let him get healthy and battle for a spot.

Please look up five posts; I posted all his kickoff stats as well. I'm fine to let him battle it out, but TT picking two pretty decently rated WR's probably signals his end.

4and12to12and4
05-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, his talent and ability is much more than "just a guy". But, in some way, I guess the good thing if he doesn't make the team, it will be because Holiday, Ruvell, or James has stepped up and impressed. So, we will see. I just hate bashing this guy all the time. I hear so much negativity about him, and though he has had many injuries, the humanitarian in me roots for him, and I would love for him to prove so many wrong. I'm glad that TT is giving him one final chance. And, i think we all can agree, this IS his last chance. Even he admits that.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Well, his talent and ability is much more than "just a guy". But, in some way, I guess the good thing if he doesn't make the team, it will be because Holiday, Ruvell, or James has stepped up and impressed. So, we will see. I just hate bashing this guy all the time. I hear so much negativity about him, and though he has had many injuries, the humanitarian in me roots for him, and I would love for him to prove so many wrong. I'm glad that TT is giving him one final chance. And, i think we all can agree, this IS his last chance. Even he admits that.

Yes it is; I just hope we have a deep and talented WR core

The Leaper
05-21-2007, 07:12 PM
As far as special teams goes, give me all the numbers you want, i can say this about Fergy, he busted his ass on EVERY kickoff to get to the returner, and usually was the first or second guy down there. He also busts his ass on running plays and all other plays in terms of blocking, etc.. So, say what you will about him these years, one thing for sure is that he has put 100% out there every play, and THAT IS WHY HE IS STILL ON THE ROSTER.

I do agree with you as to his overall worth to the team up until now. However, Thompson has consistently drafted high effort players for several years now and we have numerous guys on the team who will take over for Ferguson on special teams as hungry human missiles.

We also have too many young WRs around with far more upside potential...we are going to keep those on the final roster long before we hold on to an ancient relic like Ferguson.

Nice try though.