PDA

View Full Version : WILL BUBBA BE THE PACK STARTING TE?/TE WATCH

TopHat
05-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Simply, we need a TE playmaker. Who will be the Pack starting TE? The poll has several options allowing fans to choose one or to explain their view.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) BACKGROUND NEWS INFO:

http://www.railbirdcentral.blogspot.com/

Is Bubba's job in jeopardy?

In perhaps some of the biggest news coming out of the Green Bay Packers minicamp, tight end Bubba Franks has been relegated to a backup role. Being a former Pro Bowler and a starter his entire career, this comes as quite a surprise. "Donald Lee took the first snap of each drill with the No. 1 offense, and Tory Humphrey appeared to work ahead of Franks at times also. Lee, Humphrey and Zac Alcorn all have been taking part in the Packers' offseason workout program beginning March 19," reports Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. Rob Reischel of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel also reports, "For the second straight day, tight end Donald Lee took most of the snaps with the No. 1 offense. Where exactly that leaves Bubba Franks is unclear. He who signed a seven-year, $28 million contract two summers ago but has been a major disappointment since."
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/

The Trouble With Bubba

TE Bubba Franks would like you to know that last season was a bump in the road and he is on a mission. "I was just up and down, a little inconsistent here and there, and that's not me," Franks said. "But this year, I'm not going to have a problem with that at all." The problem wasn't that he was inconsistent in 2006. He was very consistent every week, dropping passes and generally not producing in the passing game. Actually Franks has been a model of consistency throughout his career. Look at his career stats. Except for 2002, he has always caught between 25 and 35 passes for 200 to 300 yards per season. He always averages between 8 and 10 yards per catch and every year there are coaches talking about his great hands in practice while we watch him routinely drop a few wide open passes each season.
He has only been valuable as a blocker and to catch redzone touchdowns. His notable seasons are 2001, 2002, and 2004 when he has caught 7 TDs or more. For whatever reason, he has only caught 1 TD in the past two seasons and it is apparent he can't get open on his own in the redzone anymore, if he ever could do it. If he isn't catching TD passes then he is a below average player who is a drain on the passing game. Franks wants to return to form, but he can aim higher than that. He should try and become the deep middle threat former GM Ron Wolf thought he was drafting in the 1st round back in 2000. Work on his route running so that he can develop a move that is sure to shake the linebacker covering him in single coverage and then he can be a redzone threat. However it isn't realistic to expect him to become someone he isn't. At least he will remain a consistent and quality blocking tight end and maybe if someone like rookie TE Clark Harris does develop into a good receiving tight end, then he might be able to score a few more redzone TDs in his career as teams start ignoring him in pass coverage.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/05/19/1/

Franks Leaving Last Year In The Past

Bubba Franks will be the first to admit he didn't perform at his usual level in 2006. But the eighth-year veteran will be the last to say that he's on the downside of his career. In visiting with reporters during minicamp this weekend, Franks said he's "on a mission" to be the tight end Packers fans enjoyed watching his first six years in the NFL. The former first-round draft pick didn't make any bold predictions, like he's heading back to the Pro Bowl or going to catch so many touchdowns, but that's not Franks' style. A straightforward, no-nonsense guy, he simply stated that he's putting last year behind him and doing nothing but looking forward.
"It was just one of those years," said Franks, whose 25 catches for 232 yards and no touchdowns last season were career-lows for a full slate of games played. "You go six years of being as good as you can, and hey, it's just a bump in the road, something that happened. You get it out of your system and you keep moving." Last year was supposed to be Franks' rebound year after injuries forced him to miss the first six games of his entire career in 2005. But it didn't work out that way.
With a young offensive line, the Packers needed their tight ends to stay in and block more often on pass plays. Opportunities for downfield receptions were more limited for Franks, and when he did get his chances, he dropped far more passes than he ever had. "One thing about Bubba is he was always sure-handed," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, who was Franks' tight ends coach in 2004 and 2005. "Last year he seemed to have a lapse in that area." And a bad year only got worse in the home finale Dec. 21 against Minnesota. While Franks had a season-high five catches for 43 yards, he also fumbled twice. They were the first fumbles since his rookie season in 2000, and one of them came on the goal line, costing the Packers a potential touchdown.
He also was flagged for a critical holding call late in the fourth quarter that wiped out a big gain on a screen pass. It was his first holding call in four years. "I was just up and down, a little inconsistent here and there, and that's not me," Franks said. "But this year, I'm not going to have a problem with that at all." Franks was one of a handful of veterans who didn't participate in the offseason strength and conditioning program that began here March 19. He did that last year, but in an effort to return to his old self, the three-time Pro Bowler went back to his old routine of training at his alma mater, the University of Miami.
He arrived at this weekend's minicamp in good shape and ready to fight for a starting job he has to prove he still deserves. Fellow tight ends Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey were taking as many snaps with the No. 1 offense as Franks in the first few practices, an indication the position is as wide open as it's been during Franks' seven-year run as the starter. If the open competition was giving Franks any added motivation, he wasn't letting on, at least not verbally. He indicated seeing the Super Bowl come to his hometown of Miami got him a little fired up, and seeing NFC North rival Chicago playing in that game in some ways jumpstarted his offseason. "He's been working hard," tight ends coach Ben McAdoo said after the first two minicamp practices. "You can tell by the way he's moving out there, he's doing some things well. I'm excited and feel he's going to have another breakout year."
The fact that it would have to be called "another" breakout year certainly doesn't sit well with Franks, because no player ever wants to see his career take the turn his has. But he's also aware of how important that has made 2007 for him. "This is a critical juncture probably in his career," Philbin said. "I'm sure he'll respond well. "He's serious about getting back to the level of performance he's accustomed to."
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070519/PKR01/705190492/1058/PKRFeatures

Open job?

Bubba Franks has been the Packers' starting tight end since his rookie year of 2000, but the coaching staff sent him a signal at minicamp Friday that he'll have to win back that job this year after his disappointing 2006 performance. Donald Lee took the first snap of each drill with the No. 1 offense, and Tory Humphrey appeared to work ahead of Franks at times also. Lee, Humphrey and Zac Alcorn all have been taking part in the Packers' offseason workout program beginning March 19. "They've been working all offseason; I don't have any problems with them in there right now," Franks said. "It's not a problem." Franks, who caught only 25 passes and had no touchdowns last season, said he went back to the offseason workout program of his first six NFL seasons after staying in Green Bay and taking part in the Packers' offseason workout program last year. Franks is one of about 20 players who attended the University of Miami and return there in the spring and summer to work out in a competitive atmosphere with their college strength coach. "You go back to doing something that works when things go wrong," Franks said. "… This year, I'm on a mission. There's nothing that's going to get in my way."
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=608006

Changing of the guard?

For the second straight day, tight end Donald Lee took most of the snaps with the No. 1 offense. Where exactly that leaves Bubba Franks is unclear. He who signed a seven-year, $28 million contract two summers ago but has been a major disappointment since. "The money, as coaches, I don't really look at the budget," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "I really don't have any idea what Bubba's salary is to be quite honest with you. I'm just looking for a guy that can perform and produce and be consistent at that position. "If you ask Bubba, he would probably say he wasn't quite the player (last year) he was the last couple of years. So, hey, we'll see how everybody responds to the situation. From what I see from the two practices we've had, it looks like he's working hard. I'm sure he's going to be battling for the job." "You go back to doing something that works when things go wrong," Franks said. "… This year, I'm on a mission. There's nothing that's going to get in my way."

oregonpackfan
05-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I think Bubba will be one of the last veterans cut in August. He never had good speed but managed to get open for red zone touchdowns. Once there, he was known for being sure-handed in his pass-catching abilities.

Last season, we saw his quickness diminish to a greater extent. He began dropping easy passes. He just does not have the ability to play in the NFL anymore, IMO.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 10:48 AM
I think he starts because we have no other options

Brando19
05-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I think Donald Lee will start. He may not start the entire season, but Bubba has some making up to do.

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I think Bubba will start because he is young enough to bounce back from last year's disaster, and he is the best blocker among the TE's. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Donald Lee has better receiving stats.

Patler
05-20-2007, 01:15 PM
I think Donald Lee will start. He may not start the entire season, but Bubba has some making up to do.

Donald Lee is much worse at catching the ball than Franks. In 2006, Lee had 5 drops of 22 thrown his way, Franks 6 of 53. The difference is that the drops in 2006 were unusual for Franks, but par for the course from Lee. In 2005 Franks had 1 drop in 39 throws, Lee had 4 in 53. The knock on Lee in Miami was too many drops.

LL2
05-20-2007, 02:42 PM
I think Bubba will be one of the last veterans cut in August. He never had good speed but managed to get open for red zone touchdowns. Once there, he was known for being sure-handed in his pass-catching abilities.

Last season, we saw his quickness diminish to a greater extent. He began dropping easy passes. He just does not have the ability to play in the NFL anymore, IMO.

Bubba being cut is a possibility, but w/o it just leaves us with Lee and that might be risky. Does GB have anything to gain salary cap wise by cutting Bubba?

FritzDontBlitz
05-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Donald Lee is much worse at catching the ball than Franks. In 2006, Lee had 5 drops of 22 thrown his way, Franks 6 of 53. The difference is that the drops in 2006 were unusual for Franks, but par for the course from Lee. In 2005 Franks had 1 drop in 39 throws, Lee had 4 in 53. The knock on Lee in Miami was too many drops.

thanks for injecting some reality into the debate, patler. bubba starts cuz no one else has proven themselves better. at least not yet. i dont see any of the others beating him out before the season starts.

gbgary
05-20-2007, 04:59 PM
it doesn't matter who the starting tight-end is because they have virtually eliminated it from the offense, in terms of anything other than blocking, for several years now.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 06:37 PM

IMO what Donald Lee does have over Bubba is the ability to get open occasionally when somebody makes an effort to cover him.

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Franks faces challenge for spot

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy says no starting jobs were won or lost during the team's three-day minicamp over the weekend.

That's good news for Bubba Franks, who had to share a significant amount of practice time as the first-team tight end with Donald Lee.

After failing to catch a single touchdown during a disappointing 2006 season, Franks knows he will have to compete for playing time this year and says he's returning with a fresh attitude.

The veteran went home to Miami to clear his head in the offseason. After some introspection, he admits he was being selfish last year.

"I'm more of a team player now," Franks said. "I think last year, it got to the point where I was thinking about myself. I was selfish. It comes a time in a person's career where you think you're the only one out there. But I wasn't. This year, it's going to be totally different."

This year, Franks has resolved to put the team first.

"It's a clean slate," Franks said. "And I'm to the point in my career, after going home and thinking about it, I'm not going to have a problem with (anybody) upstairs or downstairs this year. I'm about winning. Regardless of who catches the ball, who scores the points, I want to win a Super Bowl. And we haven't even been close since I've been here."

Franks said he went to the Chicago Bears-Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl in Miami as a fan, and the experience stoked his desire to win a championship.

"I was up there as a fan, watching, instead of being on the field," Franks said. "That was the first time I got to experience that, and I want that. I want that more than anything. More than anything. More than 10 touchdown catches."

Franks also says he got leaner in the offseason, cutting out "a lot of treats."

Such as?

"Oreos, Twinkies, Dunkin' Donuts, Krispie Kremes - all the good stuff," Franks said.

McCarthy praised Franks for coming back in better shape. At the same time, McCarthy made it clear that there will be competition at tight end in training camp this year.

"We are adjusting some things as we move forward with the tight end position, and I think we have excellent competition," McCarthy said. "But Bubba Franks is a veteran football player, and we're expecting him to contribute to our football team."

McCarthy said Lee, an athletic 6-foot-4 tight end who signed with the Packers as a free agent before the 2005 season, showed his potential while working with the first team in minicamp.

"I think he really showed up in the vertical passing game, which we obviously need - it generates big plays, particularly from the inside positions," McCarthy said.

The Packers need more scoring from their tight ends to help fix a red zone offense that was among the league's worst last season. McCarthy said he and the coaches have to do more to get the tight ends involved in the offense inside their opponents' 20. When that happens, the tight ends must produce.

"They will be given those opportunities, and we just need to increase the productivity of it," McCarthy said.

Franks used to be one of Brett Favre's favorite targets in the red zone, and Franks believes he can be that player again.

"I have to make my role change," Franks said. "If it doesn't change, it's because of me. But if I go out and practice and show everybody, 'Hey, I should be getting the ball,' in the red zone or wherever, that's on me. I feel like I'm going to prove that this minicamp, this training camp."

TopHat
05-24-2007, 04:01 PM
http://packers.aolsportsblog.com/

Packers' Bubba Franks in Danger of Being Released

According to a report by Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Green Bay Packers Tight End Bubba Franks is in serious jeopardy of being released. The reality is that the Packers former first-round draft choice (2000) has never really lived up to expectations. He's been solid at times but not enough to rely on and his tenure may finally be coming to an end. One of the major reasons for Franks even being on the bubble is because of his inability to hold onto the ball. Green Bay would love to utilize the tight end as more of an offensive weapon, but Franks just tends to drop entirely too many passes. He'll get a fair shake, however. If his hands improve over the course off the offseason, the Packers will likely keep him on the 53-man roster.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=2249

Packers Notes: Is Bubba on the 'bubble'?

Not long ago, Bubba Franks was viewed as the Packers franchise tight end. Now, Franks is fighting not only for playing time, but a roster spot. There are no assurances that Franks, the Packers' first-round pick in 2000, will make Green Bay's final 53-man roster. In recent seasons, the Packers have sought to upgrade the position and, in the team's most recent minicamp, Green Bay had Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey working with the first-team offense. The Packers also tried to work in this year's seventh-round pick, former Rutgers tight end Clark Harris, but he dropped a couple of passes. Franks is coming off a season in which he dropped enough passes to jeopardize his standing this season. He was not as reliable as a team would like its tight end to be. It is the reason that, even before training camp begins, Franks is on the bubble. He needs to do a better job holding on to the football and to fend off the competition that the Packers are going to throw at him this summer.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=645874&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 645874.html

Winds of change.

Using Franks in reserve role better for team’s tight ends.

packinpatland
05-24-2007, 04:38 PM
I see Bubba starting. Putting him on the other squad, may have been just enough of a jolt he needed. Speed was never his thing, but he is a big target, and alot of TD passes were caught.
He can do it again.

The Leaper
05-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Bubba will wind up starting...only because no one else on the roster will prove to be much better as a receiver (an absolute JOKE which Thompson deserves criticism for) and Franks is at least a reliable blocker for the most part who will likely be needed with an OL that is still coming together.

Brohm
05-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Unless Bubba is cashing it in ala Freeman/Hunt, I see him bouncing back.

Fritz
05-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Unless he gets hurt, Bubba Franks will be the starting tight end for the Green Bay Packers when they open the season.

Fred's Slacks
05-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I have a theory with Bubba. I think that all the complaining about how he could never gain any yards after the catch had him determined to show that he could. I think all the focus on turning up field and gaining yards caused him to lose focus on catching and securing the football. I don't know how else to explain how a guy who was formerly sure handed, loses that. That's not something you typically lose with age. Hopefully he will start focusing on catching and securing the football and revert back to the solid, reliable tight end he used to be. That's why I voted for Bubba (plus the fact that we really don't have anyone else).

Merlin
05-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I think McCarthy is going to do more to get any TE into the flow of the offense and not blocking. I think that is what most affected Franks last season. He will be the starter because he can be that good. Watch for Lee or another TE to be in there when we have to keep the TE in to block. Even thought Franks is possibly the best blocking TE we have, McCarthy is pretty smart, smart enough to see what is obvious.

packinpatland
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I have a theory with Bubba. I think that all the complaining about how he could never gain any yards after the catch had him determined to show that he could. I think all the focus on turning up field and gaining yards caused him to lose focus on catching and securing the football. I don't know how else to explain how a guy who was formerly sure handed, loses that. That's not something you typically lose with age. Hopefully he will start focusing on catching and securing the football and revert back to the solid, reliable tight end he used to be. That's why I voted for Bubba (plus the fact that we really don't have anyone else).

This is a very good theory. Sure explains why it wasn't just few single 'bad' games he had, but a whole season.

GBRulz
05-26-2007, 07:43 AM
I think McCarthy is going to do more to get any TE into the flow of the offense and not blocking. I think that is what most affected Franks last season. He will be the starter because he can be that good. Watch for Lee or another TE to be in there when we have to keep the TE in to block. Even thought Franks is possibly the best blocking TE we have, McCarthy is pretty smart, smart enough to see what is obvious.

I was going to just post basically the same thing. I truly believe Bubba's success was affected last year because we needed him for blocking all the time. So much of this year is going to weigh on our OL.... I sure hope we can get away from the max protect scheme.

Bretsky
05-26-2007, 08:15 AM

I hope you are right, Bubba is a solid blocker, but his patterns and speed are nothing special so at miminum we need him to catch the ball.

Maybe he's becoming another Toolbox.....aka....Ed West. Always like that guy. Short on talent, but worked hard and seemed to maximize it

Fred's Slacks
05-26-2007, 09:19 AM

So you are saying we take out our best blocking tight end when we need him to block? The reason Bubba has any value is because he is both a good blocker and good receiver (well, he used to be). We can all agree he never has been and never will be a big play guy, so why only use him as a pass catcher? I don't think that helps Bubba in the passing game.

I think you are correct that his stats were down because he was not as active in tha passing game but that doesn't explain the high drop rate and the fumbles. Maybe he needs to be spelled more often but I don't think you just take him out when you need another blocker(defenses would catch on to that). I think he just needs to refocus on catching the ball and moving the chains and he will be alright.

Hopefully its a moot point anyway. Lets hope the OLine steps up enough that we don't need to keep the tight end in as much to help.