PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Blackmon will get his shot

packers11
05-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Notebook: Blackmon will get his shot

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Charles Woodson's absence during organized team activities will give cornerback Will Blackmon a long-awaited chance for extended action with the starting defense.

"That's very important, because I get to run with the (No.) 1s," said Blackmon, the Green Bay Packers' fourth-round pick out of Boston College in 2006. "Last year, I missed OTAs and I missed training camp, so when I started playing the season, I didn't have any kind of reps."

It was this time a year ago that Blackmon broke a bone in a foot during minicamp. He was sidelined nearly five months before making his debut in Week 7, then landed on injured reserve with a rib injury after playing only four games.

The Packers' only notable free agent signing this offseason was Frank Walker, who was projected widely as the team's No. 3 cornerback. But Blackmon has gotten significant time with the first-team nickel defense during this minicamp, and, with Woodson and Al Harris sitting out Saturday afternoon, he filled in at cornerback along with Patrick Dendy.

Woodson plans to work out in Houston rather than returning when OTAs begin at the end of the month, so Blackmon, Dendy and Walker should get plenty of work against the team's top receivers.

"(Blackmon)'s been in the whole offseason, hasn't missed a day on anything," secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said. "No question, you can see it. He just has to keep working on technique. It's a tough job out there. He just has to keep working every day, and he's a great worker."

Blackmon said he is recovered from both injuries but doesn't feel like himself. Once he does, Blackmon also could make an impact in the return game, though he said his primary focus is contributing on defense.

"I'm preparing as if I want to be the starter," Blackmon said. "You just never know. God forbid something happens to Charles or Al, I could just step right in there without skipping a beat.

"It's hard to fill those shoes, but one of these days, I've got to feel I can fill those shoes."

Williams reacts

Corey Williams had the best season of his NFL career in 2006. He figured his chances of becoming a full-time starting defensive tackle in 2007 were good and, if things went well, a contract extension might be in the works.

That seemed to change when the Packers selected defensive tackle Justin Harrell with the 16th overall pick in last month's draft.

"I was kind of surprised," Williams said of the pick. "I'm quite sure any of the people on the D-line were surprised."

Williams, who had career highs in sacks (seven) and tackles (47) last season, is in the final year of his rookie contract and can become an unrestricted free agent in March. After Nick Barnett signed his contract extension this offseason, indications were Williams could be next in line for a new contract, but that never happened.

"I thought so, too, but it didn't happen," Williams said. "Hopefully, I can do something to catch their eye, and they'll want to go ahead and sign me."

While Williams says he wants to play out his career in Green Bay, his best chance to start might come with another team. Harrell hasn't participated in contact drills because he's recovering from the torn biceps tendon that prematurely ended his senior year at the University of Tennessee, but Williams has been splitting first-team reps with Colin Cole.

Williams said he reported to minicamp weighing between 325 and 327 pounds. He's listed on the roster at 313 pounds and said he will be closer to 320 for training camp.

"By the time I come back for training camp, I will be in tip-top shape," Williams said.

Injury update

Safety Marviel Underwood hopes to practice in some capacity during OTAs, though he probably won't be cleared for full contact until training camp.

"I'm just waiting for them to tell me I can pull the trigger," said Underwood, who missed all of last season after undergoing reconstructive surgery on his right knee. "I wanted to go out there bad (Friday). But I'm trying to be smart, do what the doctor says, and hope I come back ready to go."

Other players sitting out for the second straight day were: running backs Arliss Beach and DeShawn Wynn, linebackers Abdul Hodge and Marcus Randall, guard Tony Palmer, tackle Kevin Barry, receiver Robert Ferguson and defensive end Aaron Kampman.

Guard Jason Spitz (back) and defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (bruised thigh) sat out a day after leaving practice with injuries. Tight end Zac Alcorn, sandwiched by two teammates during a 7-on-7 passing drill Friday, missed both sessions with a bruised right knee. Receiver Chris Francies sat out with a thumb injury.

Tackle Chad Clifton skipped the morning session as a precaution but practiced in the afternoon.

Quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers again participated only in non-contact drills.

Etc.

Prohibited from attending Friday's practice because the University of California is in session, linebacker Desmond Bishop arrived in Green Bay and participated Saturday. Running back Brandon Jackson, excused because he is attending the NFL's rookie Premiere event in Los Angeles, is the only draft pick not in camp. … Woodson was excused from the afternoon practice for personal reasons, a team spokesman said.

packers11
05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I hope Williams stays... HE SHOWED A Sh!tload of potential last season...

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 11:38 AM
While Williams says he wants to play out his career in Green Bay, his best chance to start might come with another team

I hate to see projections like this; I really do like Williams as a player and the guy has more potential ahead

MadtownPacker
05-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I dont see why Williams would get the boot when others (Ferige, Manuel, maybe Bubba) are much more deserving.

TT is trying to build a swarming, attacking defense. The DL is loaded with a strong core. I highly doubt he let Williams go.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I dont see why Williams would get the boot when others (Ferige, Manuel, maybe Bubba) are much more deserving.

TT is trying to build a swarming, attacking defense. The DL is loaded with a strong core. I highly doubt he let Williams go.

I agree with you, but nothing surprised me the slow motion snapper.

pbmax
05-20-2007, 12:15 PM
He's not getting the boot this year. Its next year's contract that's up in the air.

Only other option would be if he gets traded.

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I think Williams' pass rushing skills get him a new contract. DT's who can rush the passer are hard to find. Eventually, if Harrell turns out to be an outstanding player, the Packers will have to make a decision on Pickett.

esoxx
05-20-2007, 01:27 PM
I really like Blackmon. If he stays healthy this year he'll make a good contribution and be a player on the rise going into '08. Book it.

sepporepi
05-20-2007, 01:35 PM
I do not see the problem, we have the money. Keep them all and have a great rotation, everyone play about 2/3 of the snaps. Play Williams mostly in passing situations and everything is fine. The fat guys in the middle do not last long, if they have to play every snap. With a good rotation they hopefully are fresh in the 4th quarter. Frontload the deal and we can affrod all 3 until Picketts deal is up in 4 Years.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I do not see the problem, we have the money. Keep them all and have a great rotation, everyone play about 2/3 of the snaps. Play Williams mostly in passing situations and everything is fine. The fat guys in the middle do not last long, if they have to play every snap. With a good rotation they hopefully are fresh in the 4th quarter. Frontload the deal and we can affrod all 3 until Picketts deal is up in 4 Years.

Yup,

Pickett, Williams and Harrell can all play 67% of the snaps. At the end of the game you can look at your DT play and say "We had 2 very effective and refreshed DT's on the field at all times. They made big plays consistantly for 60 minutes"

Instead of saying "We had big time impact from the middle for about half of the game and for the rest of the game we sort of just got by with Cole and Jolly"

I just don't see any reason to let a guy go because you have 2 good players. That is Shermanism rubbing off. He always had 1 good starter at each position and you just crossed your fingers hoping they wouldn't go down. We're trying to get away from that mentality. We're trying to become a dominate, physical team and you need impact from your front 4 for the whole game, not just when your starters are in the rotation.

Packnut
05-21-2007, 08:08 AM
I really like Blackmon. If he stays healthy this year he'll make a good contribution and be a player on the rise going into '08. Book it.

Me too. It's a shame he was hurt last season. I saw a lot of him in is BC days and he's a player. He'll be our nickel guy if he can stay healthy. HUGE upgrade over Dendy.

Fritz
05-21-2007, 09:45 AM
I can't see why TT wouldn't want to keep Williams, unless he is asking for crazy money. Sounds like Pickett is huge right now, so you need to keep rotating guys.

I am rooting for Blackmon too. I hope he has the skills and mindset to be a future starting corner, and a solid #3 this year.

wist43
05-21-2007, 09:46 AM
At some point they have to look at how much money they have tied up at the position... never mind draft choices.

Harrell will be getting 1st round money, and Pickett is being paid pretty good coin. Kampman and KGB are being well paid, Jenkins just signed a new contract.

That's 5 highly paid guys on the DL right there... Williams would make 6. I had originally thought that Cole might be hitting the bricks with the drafting of Harrell, but maybe it'll be Williams due to the money.

Any way you slice it, picking Harrell either logjams a lot of money at one position, or pushes one of the young guys off the roster at some point. I'll grant you that DT is a critical position, but given the number of holes on the roster, and the talent they already had at the position, the Harrell pick doesn't make much sense.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2007, 10:36 AM
At some point they have to look at how much money they have tied up at the position... never mind draft choices.

Well, Harrell's deal won't be for that big. If he turns into a stud, that will save a lot of money. Basically, they can swap KGB's salary for Williams salary. I don't think KGB will be on this team for more than another year, 2 at the most.

Joemailman
05-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Harv is right about KGB. I believe after this season, the amount left to be pro-rated of KGB's signing bonus will be less than his base salary. He'll either be cut, or be forced to redo his contract.

Packnut
05-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Harv is right about KGB. I believe after this season, the amount left to be pro-rated of KGB's signing bonus will be less than his base salary. He'll either be cut, or be forced to redo his contract.

I hated KGB as an every down player, but he did show signs of life as a situation pass rusher. I can see him getting 9 or 10 sacks in that roll.

Guiness
05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
What's up with Barry? Is he still injured from last year? What's the prognosis with him?

Not that I think he's a piece. He's a roadgrader, and I can't see where he fits in.

Cheesehead Craig
05-21-2007, 12:14 PM

Harrell will be getting 1st round money, and Pickett is being paid pretty good coin. Kampman and KGB are being well paid, Jenkins just signed a new contract.

That's 5 highly paid guys on the DL right there... Williams would make 6. I had originally thought that Cole might be hitting the bricks with the drafting of Harrell, but maybe it'll be Williams due to the money.

Any way you slice it, picking Harrell either logjams a lot of money at one position, or pushes one of the young guys off the roster at some point. I'll grant you that DT is a critical position, but given the number of holes on the roster, and the talent they already had at the position, the Harrell pick doesn't make much sense.
Good post wist. Granted, big deals like Favre, KGB and Woodson could very well be gone in the next 2 years or so, but the point of the $ being tied up here is no small amount. This unit needs to really step up the run stopping and pass rushing this season to deserve the coin that's being dropped.

Joemailman
05-21-2007, 12:24 PM

I hated KGB as an every down player, but he did show signs of life as a situation pass rusher. I can see him getting 9 or 10 sacks in that roll.

I agree. I just wonder if they'll want to pay a one-dimensional player 4-5 mil, especially if a younger guy (Jason Hunter?) shows he can rush the passer.

Packnut
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM

I agree. I just wonder if they'll want to pay a one-dimensional player 4-5 mil, especially if a younger guy (Jason Hunter?) shows he can rush the passer.

It will be interesting to watch Hunter in pre-season and see if he's progressed.