PDA

View Full Version : Young guys you like and some you don't

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm gonna go with guys who are still in their rookie contracts or young new comers like the DB Walker or Morency.....

The good:

A.J. Hawk *Could be the cornerstone of a top 5 defense*
Justin Harrell *Stood out more than Amobe Okoye when watching their highlight clips*
Greg Jennings *Due for a breakout season*

Next notch down:

James Jones *physical, good hands, good short area seperation*
Cory Williams *7 sacks in 06, definitly a top tier #3 DT*
Nick Collins *I expect more big hits, INT's and forced fumbles*
Vernand Morency *appears to be in better shape than a year ago and he averaged 4.5 per carry a year ago*
Patrick Dendy *all he does is show up and play well*
Brady Poppinga *tough, physical, keeps getting better*
Darryn Colledge *saw one picture, he looks a little bigger and still fit. He played well last year but needed strength. He might have gotten that*
Jason Spitz *Showed enough last year to expect some good things*
Tony Moll *ditto to Spitz*
Ruvell Martin *just makes plays over and over and over when given the oppertunity*
Aaron Rodgers *great attitude, hard worker, good arm, good feet, smart. He just might make it*

Guys I don't like

Michael Montgomery *Hasn't shown much of anything. EVER!*
Junius Coston *Has shown to suck at every chance*
Noah Herron *Just seems to lack any big play ability*

Vets that I think might step up:

Marquand Manuel *It's tough to play in a new scheme when you were injured all off season and the DB's that you work with both skipped multipel off season programs*

Bubba Franks *He's been a reliable redzone target over his career and I think he could be again if allowed to run routes*

Brandon494
05-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't understand how you say Martin made play after play when he only had 1 TD on the season. His only really big game was against the Bears to end the season. I still dont think this guy is anything but a #4 WR at best. You also forgot to add David Clowney and Aaron Rouse. I could see Rouse being a starter for us in the future and Clowney is our fastest WR and has experience as a KR.

Merlin
05-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Interesting that in the players you like in the top tier, one has never played in the NFL, one has played one season, and the other played about half a season. Can you say media hype bias? I would say your opinion on anything has just taken a nose dive since it's obvious that the players you "like a lot" has almost no experience between them. You and 3T are made for each other.

PackerTimer
05-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Interesting that in the players you like in the top tier, one has never played in the NFL, one has played one season, and the other played about half a season. Can you say media hype bias? I would say your opinion on anything has just taken a nose dive since it's obvious that the players you "like a lot" has almost no experience between them. You and 3T are made for each other.

I think that was the point. Picking young guys who could take a step forward and help this team win games. I'm gonna add Brandon Jackson. Guy has a great attitude and could make some big plays next year.

Joemailman
05-20-2007, 07:01 PM

I don't think it's hype to say that Hawk will be a Pro-Bowler. He was an impact player as a rookie and should only get better. I'm not sure why you refer to Jennings having played half a season. He played in 14 of 16 games, and made the all-rookie team despite hampered by an ankle injury. Before the injury he definitely showed he has big play ability. As for Harrell, we'll have to wait and see. However, his scouting report says he has the ability to occupy blockers at the line, which is exactly what the Packers want in the running game. Harrell won't always get the tackle, but he should make Hawk and Barnett even better.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Dude, I was picking young guys who are in rookie contracts and look to step it up. Sheesh, it's not like I called the thread "proven vets who look to continue their current trecks"

It's the off season. It's all about thinking about what might come and who might step up. Relax.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 07:28 PM
The good

Driver- Class guy who you'll always count on
Hawk- Exciting to project how good this guy can be
Jennings- Has the talent; I'm interested to see if his body will hold up full year
Collins- He could be a guy to step up his game
Colledge- Showed promise at end of last year and hoping he'll be stronger

Neutral

Harrell- Hope he lives up the the Turtle hype
Poppinga- Has to show improvement to be a long term starter
Underwood- Torn ACL; toughest injury to come back from
Rouse- Great upside, but plays stiff. He's intruiging
Spitz- Was not getting it done at the end of the season
Moll- See above comment on Spitz
Hollyday/Martin- Interesting to see which one makes the team
Crosby- Strong leg; hopefully more accurate than Rayner

Ones I Don't like

Fraudy Ferguson- Always teases in preseason only to disappoint
Coston - I'm frickin sick of the youth excuse on this guy
Herron - Want more talented players on the roster at RB
Manuel - Limited upside, but he's Snapper choice so he prolly makes the team

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Dude, I was picking young guys who are in rookie contracts and look to step it up. Sheesh, it's not like I called the thread "proven vets who look to continue their current trecks"

It's the off season. It's all about thinking about what might come and who might step up. Relax.

Ah, it's a good thread. I sometimes read hidden messages in your posts you probably don't intend due to your unbreakable TT support. You probably read my biases all the time too, even when they are not meant.

Cheers,
B

packers04
05-20-2007, 08:06 PM
These are people I believe will make a big contribution to the team as rookies this year or for vets, take their play up a few notches and pleasantly surprise fans
Justin Harrell
Greg Jennings
James Jones
Vernand Morency
Will Blackmon
Brandon Jackson
Zac Alcorn
Jarrett Bush

Notes on individual players - Will Blackmon and Jarrett Bush have a good chance to be the future of our Secondary... these guys are YOUNG and have a TON of talent. i see both of these guys being long term packers.
Zac Alcorn - the coaches are high on this kid and like his overall game.
Justin Harrell - I know its early, but I believe TT struck GOLD with this kid.

Guys I expect to not have much of a future with the team -
Mike Montgomery - I think he'll be cut after TC this year.
Kevin Barry - Ditto
Deshawn Wynn - has talent, but no work ethic, thats what u need in this league to be a player
Robert Ferguson - will be cut or traded, especialy if james jones and clowney come on strong in TC

Packnut
05-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Gee, don't ya think Harrell's first task is proving he can stay healthy? He has a serious injury history and yet he's already taking on 2 blockers and freeing up the LB's? There is a fine line between being drunk on kool-aid and just being plain foolish..........

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Ah, it's a good thread. I sometimes read hidden messages in your posts you probably don't intend due to your unbreakable TT support. You probably read my biases all the time too, even when they are not meant.

Cheers,
B

I hear ya. I've done/do the same.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Gee, don't ya think Harrell's first task is proving he can stay healthy? He has a serious injury history and yet he's already taking on 2 blockers and freeing up the LB's? There is a fine line between being drunk on kool-aid and just being plain foolish..........

I like Harrell because all of the scouts say he was ultra effective. He's got size, and power and it translates to the field. Add to that the fact that he is considered an A+ character guy and a hard worker who got himself in shape after an injury when many are completely out of shape without injury *see Robert Meachem in N.O.*

I just think a guy with hsi work ethic and his potential will pan out. I'm just reading signs that have nothing to do with my acctual football observations, I'll admit that but I think he's going to be one of our top lineman for years to come based on what I read and heard of his college career.

1. Big heart, lots of determination
2. Very gifted physically
3. Good football player *not just athlete*

If a guy has those 3 things, I sign up.

RashanGary
05-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Similar to Mario though, I think we'll see the best of him in years 2-7 but he should be decent in his first year.

DT or power DE's just require too mcuh strength for rookies to be great in year 1. I think he'll be good now and much, much better next season.

b bulldog
05-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Mario who?? :oops:

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Mario who?? :oops:

If memory serves me right he was referred to as SuperMario by one :wink:

Scott Campbell
05-20-2007, 10:18 PM

WTF are you talking about?

Packers4Ever
05-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Oh COME ON !!
Don't leave us hanging, wondering who in the heck
Supermario is, LOL !!

This was a great topic, JH, would be fun to recheck
in the fall to see how close we came. Most all of
you picked my faves too.

Bretsky
05-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Oh COME ON !!
Supermario is, LOL !!

you picked my faves too.

SuperMario was Mario Williams, a highly hyped player who came into the draft last year and surprisingly was the #1 player in the draft chosen.

Several of us argued AJ Hawk was a better pick for Green Bay; some loved Mario Williams.

Most of us still like Hawk better as a Packer

MJZiggy
05-20-2007, 11:21 PM
That's only because Hawk is better as a Packer.

Merlin
05-21-2007, 10:47 AM

The title of your thread "Guys you like and some you don't" is misleading. I read your post, I thought it was bias based on how you responded to the title. I still do. If you read what I wrote it goes straight to your response to the title of your own thread.

Packers4Ever
05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh COME ON !!
Supermario is, LOL !!

you picked my faves too.

SuperMario was Mario Williams, a highly hyped player who came into the draft last year and surprisingly was the #1 player in the draft chosen.

Several of us argued AJ Hawk was a better pick for Green Bay; some loved Mario Williams.

Most of us still like Hawk better as a Packer

Ahhh, I see, thanks, B. For some reason that
name eluded me. But I'll go with AJ too.... : )

The Leaper
05-21-2007, 04:36 PM
3 Inexperienced Guys I Like:

Harrell - I like the pick, seems like a good kid with top shelf talent.
Colledge - Made strides last year, should become a reliable starter short term.
Hawk - Great talent, great worker. Will be in the Pro Bowl within 3 years.
Jennings - Not a big time playmaker, but will be a solid reliable #2 receiver for a long time.

3 Inexperienced Guys I Don't Like:
Jones - I'm not sold on the kid...too little career production in the WAC to convince me at this point.
Spitz - He just seems to me to not have enough to become a reliable long term starter.
Hodge - I just don't see this guy ever becoming a starter in the NFL...at least not in the defensive scheme Green Bay currently has.

3 Inexperienced Guys I Have NO REAL CLUE About At This Point:
Underwood - Stay healthy...I double dog dare you.
Clowney - Speed to burn apparently...hands are a major question mark.
Wynn - Enigma and a half