PDA

View Full Version : Defense must build on success

HarveyWallbangers
05-20-2007, 10:16 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070520/PKR07/705200696/1989

Defense must build on success
By Mike Vandermause

Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson can laugh about it now, but in early December, it wasn't funny.

The Packers had plummeted to a 4-8 record, and the defense was ranked No. 29 in the NFL.

Woodson couldn't believe his misfortune. He left the Oakland Raiders to sign a free-agent contract with the Packers, but the losing seemed to follow him like a dark cloud.

"It was kind of like, 'I've been here before' type of thing," recalled Woodson on Saturday in between minicamp practices. "Coming from Oakland the last couple seasons, we won maybe five games or something like that, so it was like, 'Damn, you know, I'm just tired of losing in a game you love. You want to win. It wasn't happening. It was discouraging in that sense."

Woodson wondered if things would ever improve. "Things weren't looking too good," he said. "It didn't seem to be getting any better."

But something clicked on defense in the final month of the season, and the Packers won their final four games. Woodson and his teammates weren't just stingy in the final month; they were dominating. The Packers allowed just 42 points in four games, and the defense climbed to No. 12 in the final rankings.

According to Woodson, the Packers were playing "like robots" on defense early in the year.

"Then we just started playing football," he said. "Just going out there and having fun. If you want to win, you've got to have fun in what you're doing."

With every major contributor returning, plus the addition of first-round defensive tackle Justin Harrell, the Packers have the makings of their best defensive team since the Super Bowl years of the mid-1990s.

"There's no limits on how good we can be," said starting linebacker Brady Poppinga, who paused before pointing to his head and adding, "except those limits that are here."

Defensive end Aaron Kampman, who had 15½ sacks last year and earned a Pro Bowl berth, praised coordinator Bob Sanders for riding out the storm.

"We didn't get off the foundation and say, 'Oh, we've got to change this, or we've got to become a blitzing team, or we've got to do this,'" Kampman said. "We kind of just stayed the course and didn't point fingers. I give Bob a lot of credit for that. He took the brunt of most of that and kind of held that all together."

Some say the Packers got fat on offensively challenged teams in December — the 49ers, Lions and Vikings ranked 22nd or worse.

But the same Detroit team that was held to nine points and 142 yards against the Packers lit up the Dallas Cowboys two weeks later for 39 points. It also should be noted that after the Packers allowed an average of 390 yards in their first six games, that average dipped to an eye-popping 280 over the final 10 games.

"Statistically, you look at the last 10 games of the season, we're a top-five defense in all the major categories," Kampman said. "Then you look at the last four games, we're tops in the league defensively."

Woodson knows the defense has the potential to be special but is following the advice of one of his college coaches at Michigan, who told him not to read his press clippings.

"We've just got to build on what we did last year," he said, "and continue to have fun."

packers11
05-20-2007, 10:20 PM
man I love woodson... Imagine if Arrington came instead of Woodson... This season would have turned out to be really bad....

Imagine : After the philly game... Would TT still cut Carroll?

Scott Campbell
05-20-2007, 10:21 PM
The beautiful thing about our D is that there is lots of upside left at many of the positions.

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-21-2007, 06:39 AM
The beautiful thing about our D is that there is lots of upside left at many of the positions.

I agree. Hawk, Collins, Jenkins, Williams, Harrell, Poop all are still learning and getting better. If it starts to click for all of them at the same time this could have the makings of one of the top defenses in the league.

LL2
05-21-2007, 08:41 AM

I agree. Hawk, Collins, Jenkins, Williams, Harrell, Poop all are still learning and getting better. If it starts to click for all of them at the same time this could have the makings of one of the top defenses in the league.

And if you have one of the top defenses in the league you have a chance to win every game. If the offense can improve, even by say a 20% margin, then I say this team should have a chance of winning 9 games. Don’t rule it out in a weak division and conference.

wist43
05-21-2007, 08:45 AM
They can be better than average, but not dominant...

They play 6 games/yr against anemic offenses so that helps the stats... I don't see them having the ability to shut down the better offensive teams. Nor do I see them as a defense that can carry the team as a whole.

With virtually no turnover in personnel, running the same scheme, and another year of experience for all the young guys... they'll be better.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2007, 08:47 AM
They can be better than average, but not dominant...

They play 6 games/yr against anemic offenses so that helps the stats... I don't see them having the ability to shut down the better offensive teams. Nor do I see them as a defense that can carry the team as a whole.

With virtually no turnover in personnel, running the same scheme, and another year of experience for all the young guys... they'll be better.

Well, I don't think Detroit is anemic. They have some players: Tatum Bell/Kevin Jones, Calvin Johnson/Roy Williams/Mike Furrey. Actually, being in their second year in the Martz system, I think they could be pretty tough to stop. They also revamped their OL corp.

Fritz
05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
I hope they improve. There's little that is more aggravating than watch your favorite team's defense look like they couldn't stop your grandma.

Merlin
05-21-2007, 10:42 AM
When Shittenuphishiney is finally gone, then our defense will be very good. Until then, they must ignore him.

Packnut
05-21-2007, 11:37 AM
We have what I believe is 1 huge weakness, a likely weakness and a possible weakness. Obviously, Manuel is the huge one. Don't give a damn what might be. I base that on what I saw. The man is slow and easily fooled. You can't teach speed and a saftey who bites on PA as much as he does is worthless.

Yeah Popp is a love-able guy. Great heart, blah, blah, blah. Until I see him stay with a TE or a RB on a consistent basis or make a mind-numbing hit, he has'nt proven anything.

Collins had a good last quarter of the season. However, he was PATHETIC up until that point. The jury is still out on him and while some just assume his play at the end of the season will continue, I'd rather be cautious and have something SOLID to base an opinion on.

IF someone beats out Manuel and IF Popp has learned from his many mistakes and IF Nick is the same guy we saw towards the end of last season, this is a top 3 or 4 defense.

Merlin
05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
The whole problem with the secondary can be pointed at one man => Shitenupmyhiney. Manual was horrible but so was the whole secondary for a better part of the season. Manual may just "not be that good" instead of being horrible. When McCarthy took away some of Shitty's responsibility called "adjustments in the coaching staff duties" and gave more leeway to Washington, the secondary got better as a unit, even Manual didn't look nearly as bad.

Poppinga played well towards the end of the season. I am not convinced on him yet.

esoxx
05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Blaming Cluelessheimer is too convenient to explain away all of Manual's poor play. It likely has more to do with Manual's limited athletic ability and poor ball skills. He's a backup in a pretend starter role. I hope to hell he doesn't open the season in that same role and someone steps up to take the position away from him during preseason. It will make the Packers a better team.