PDA

View Full Version : Now, if Favre had done this.....

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 08:43 AM
If Brett Favre had done what Peter King reports Peyton Manning of doing, it would have been front page fodder, and he'd been heaped with crap.

1. I think this is the sign that Peyton Manning is not satisfied with winning one Super Bowl, courtesy of Tony Dungy: When he reported to the offseason program, Manning was told three veterans had not reported to the voluntary workouts and did not plan to report to the workouts. "Give me their phone numbers,'' Manning said, and he called them, and he got at least two of them to come in for some of the workouts. "He hasn't changed a bit,'' Dungy told me. "His love of the game is so great to see.''

MadtownPacker
05-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Maybe Manning gave Favre a call too and that is why Favre reported??

:lol:

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 09:48 AM
That's 'priceless'.

falco
05-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Thats bullshit. Manning called them and told them to get their asses in. He didn't go in front of the news and badmouth them.

Thats exactly what Favre should have done with Javon. Instead of calling him out to the media, call him on the phone.

Theres a big difference.

Merlin
05-21-2007, 10:30 AM
"If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way," Favre said. "When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I'd tell him I've been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you."

"I would've never thought it would be a guy like Javon," Favre said. "I guess in this business nothing should surprise you, especially what happens when guys have a little bit of success. Some guys handle it the right way and some guys don't."

"Nowadays you're seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt," he said. "If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I'll be gone, but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon's situation was 'Here we go again.'

"Javon has tremendous potential. We got to see some of that last year. The sky's the limit for that guy, and I'd be the first to defend him, but he's going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring your contract and saying, 'Let's work as a team to see if we can get this done?' Why not go about it that way?

"Maybe I'm old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract. Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it's a lesser player, but it's all based on what a team has as far as value in that person."

"I sure hope the Packers don't give in to him," he said. "I don't sit up in the front office, and I don't talk to them — regardless of what people might think — and tell them who to draft and who not to draft. They don't ask me, and it's not my job. My job is to throw passes and be a leader.

"That's why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said."

"Whatever happened to buying into the team concept?" he said. "If Javon does what he's supposed to do, and what he is paid a lot of money to do, he's paid to go to the Pro Bowl. He wasn't complaining two years ago, and until you do go (to the Pro Bowl), you don't even think twice about what they're paying you."

"If Walker's stance doesn't change, Favre said, "I'd just as soon go without him. He's a great player. I think he can help us. He's likeable and easy to get along with, but I'm guessing he's getting the wrong advice, and he's buying into that."

"I just don't see much good that can come from it. If it gets time for the start of training camp and he's not in, I think it'll start bothering him, and he'll be here. But once again, nothing should surprise you.

"We've got guys who'll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up. We can win without him."

Can you show me where he called him a piece of shit or said he wasn't any good or said that the he doesn't like him? All I see is a statement of his opinion. I don't see him "messing with his business" or "badmouthing", that's the media's spin and apparently you bought into it. Favre is the leader of the offense and he has a right to state his opinion on someone who is hurting the offense by their actions. If Manning said it, it would be typed in gold print with a halo around it.

cpk1994
05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
"If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way," Favre said. "When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I'd tell him I've been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you."

"I would've never thought it would be a guy like Javon," Favre said. "I guess in this business nothing should surprise you, especially what happens when guys have a little bit of success. Some guys handle it the right way and some guys don't."

"Nowadays you're seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt," he said. "If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I'll be gone, but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon's situation was 'Here we go again.'

"Javon has tremendous potential. We got to see some of that last year. The sky's the limit for that guy, and I'd be the first to defend him, but he's going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring your contract and saying, 'Let's work as a team to see if we can get this done?' Why not go about it that way?

"Maybe I'm old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract. Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it's a lesser player, but it's all based on what a team has as far as value in that person."

"I sure hope the Packers don't give in to him," he said. "I don't sit up in the front office, and I don't talk to them — regardless of what people might think — and tell them who to draft and who not to draft. They don't ask me, and it's not my job. My job is to throw passes and be a leader.

"That's why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said."

"Whatever happened to buying into the team concept?" he said. "If Javon does what he's supposed to do, and what he is paid a lot of money to do, he's paid to go to the Pro Bowl. He wasn't complaining two years ago, and until you do go (to the Pro Bowl), you don't even think twice about what they're paying you."

"If Walker's stance doesn't change, Favre said, "I'd just as soon go without him. He's a great player. I think he can help us. He's likeable and easy to get along with, but I'm guessing he's getting the wrong advice, and he's buying into that."

"I just don't see much good that can come from it. If it gets time for the start of training camp and he's not in, I think it'll start bothering him, and he'll be here. But once again, nothing should surprise you.

"We've got guys who'll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up. We can win without him."

Can you show me where he called him a piece of shit or said he wasn't any good or said that the he doesn't like him? All I see is a statement of his opinion. I don't see him "messing with his business" or "badmouthing", that's the media's spin and apparently you bought into it. Favre is the leader of the offense and he has a right to state his opinion on someone who is hurting the offense by their actions. If Manning said it, it would be typed in gold print with a halo around it.

Well, Manning wouldn't go to the press and talk about how someone else is handling their contract business. If Manning said about Marvin Harrison what Brett said about Javon and then Marvin threatened to never play with Indy again, I guarnatee you that Maaning wouldn't get away with it.

No one has ever said that Brett said that Javon was no good. No one ever said that Brett said he hated Javon. What people had a problem with is the fact that Favre stated an opinion to the press that didn't need to made. and it pissed Javon off even further than he already was. Javon may have gotten over it, but people do feel that if Brett had kept his yap shut, that Javon still may have been a Packer. Brett has a right to an opinion, but he should have made those comments to Javon's face like a man instead of hiding behind the press.

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 12:56 PM
but people do feel that if Brett had kept his yap shut, that Javon still may have been a Packer. Brett has a right to an opinion, but he should have made those comments to Javon's face like a man instead of hiding behind the press.

How do you hide behind the press?????????
What 'people'????????

Javon was a jerk, who had his dad do most of his talking for him. At the time, it was time for him to act like an adult, who was getting paid ALOT of money, to simply honor the contract that he signed.

The Leaper
05-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Well, Favre hasn't ripped his teammates a new asshole in the locker room after games like Manning has...when Manning had as much blame as anyone else.

If Manning feels like it is his responsibility to call these guys and get them to camp...fabulous. It really doesn't mean anything to me. In the end, the player DIDN'T WANT TO SHOW UP...and that attitude won't change long term simply because of a few phone calls from Peyton. If anything, it would SCARE me a little that Peyton has that kind of influence and control over the Colts organization...and that my coaching staff wasn't viewed as being capable of doing their job by the starting QB.

Merlin
05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
You have to know that in Coltland, Manning is god and he can do whatever he wants without repercussion. He has thrown just about everyone on the team under the bus at some point in his career and I don't recall him ever apologizing for it. What's even worse is that the stupid media awarded him the Super Bowl MVP when it was so clear that he was not only NOT a team player, but his play could have cost them the super bowl against a better offensive team.

The Leaper
05-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Javon was a jerk, who had his dad do most of his talking for him. At the time, it was time for him to act like an adult, who was getting paid ALOT of money, to simply honor the contract that he signed.

He was a jerk? How?

You've never complained about your paycheck? Never?

You've never wasted even FIVE MINUTES of your company's time surfing the internet or taking a long lunch?

Javon was simply trying to make sure he was fairly compensated for his physical talents...in light of the fact the game of football is violent and an NFL career can end at any time.

I hardly see how anyone can view Javon as a jerk. He was a very well spoken young man who was a positive role model in the community...not a two bit thug like any guy on the Bengals roster. You may disagree with his position in the contract situation...it hardly makes Javon a jerk.

Merlin
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM

Well, Manning wouldn't go to the press and talk about how someone else is handling their contract business. If Manning said about Marvin Harrison what Brett said about Javon and then Marvin threatened to never play with Indy again, I guarnatee you that Maaning wouldn't get away with it.

No one has ever said that Brett said that Javon was no good. No one ever said that Brett said he hated Javon. What people had a problem with is the fact that Favre stated an opinion to the press that didn't need to made. and it pissed Javon off even further than he already was. Javon may have gotten over it, but people do feel that if Brett had kept his yap shut, that Javon still may have been a Packer. Brett has a right to an opinion, but he should have made those comments to Javon's face like a man instead of hiding behind the press.

I believe someone, in this thread, accused Favre of "badmouthing" team mates. Although I can understand some fans frustrations with Favre and his brutally honest answers, making things up to float your own boat isn't right either. Favre answered a question from the media. He didn't go and say "hey interview me I want to say this. Favre shoots from the hip and at times he gets in trouble for it, oh well. More people should be like him instead of sugar coating everything. Manning clearly has a superiority complex, he thinks he is that good. When he makes a media blunder, someone signs him to a commercial spot. That's the way the media is, like it or not, they dictate who we love and hate in the NFL.

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 01:49 PM

He was a jerk? How?

You've never wasted even FIVE MINUTES of your company's time surfing the internet or taking a long lunch?

Javon was simply trying to make sure he was fairly compensated for his physical talents...in light of the fact the game of football is violent and an NFL career can end at any time.

I hardly see how anyone can view Javon as a jerk. He was a very well spoken young man who was a positive role model in the community...not a two bit thug like any guy on the Bengals roster. You may disagree with his position in the contract situation...it hardly makes Javon a jerk.

One thing at a time.
1. Never have complained about a paycheck. Honest.
2. Being self-employed I'm only 'wasting' my own time being on the net.
I've been known to take all day 'lunches' :)
3. After signing a contract or agreeing to to terms with a client, I have
NEVER gone back and asked for more money, even when I felt entitled.
Because that is the essense of the contract. It is binding. It is there to
protect both sides.

I am not saying he was jerk in any other context, other than the way he dealt with his contract obligations. There, he acted like a spoiled little boy.
'Give me what I want, or I won't play at all'. How mature was that?

Joemailman
05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
What Javon did went beyond complaining about his paycheck. In the end, he refused to honor a contract he signed. That's what got to Brett. Brett is an "old school" kind of guy in many ways, and in his way of thinking, if you sign a contract, you honor it. I don't totally agree with how Brett handled that situation. However, never did Brett say Javon didn't deserve more money. He just strongly disagreed with Javon's tactics.

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
One thing at a time.
1. Never have complained about a paycheck. Honest.
2. Being self-employed I'm only 'wasting' my own time being on the net.
I've been known to take all day 'lunches' :)
3. After signing a contract or agreeing to to terms with a client, I have
NEVER gone back and asked for more money, even when I felt entitled.
Because that is the essense of the contract. It is binding. It is there to
protect both sides.

Can I come work with you???

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
What Javon did went beyond complaining about his paycheck. In the end, he refused to honor a contract he signed. That's what got to Brett. Brett is an "old school" kind of guy in many ways, and in his way of thinking, if you sign a contract, you honor it. I don't totally agree with how Brett handled that situation. However, never did Brett say Javon didn't deserve more money. He just strongly disagreed with Javon's tactics.

Yes.

Scott Campbell
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
I hardly see how anyone can view Javon as a jerk.

So you condone his Purple Heart analogy?

Noodle
05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Bunch of different thoughts going on here, but here goes:

1. I say Manning calling his teammates and asking them to come in is good leadership. In fact, that's what you want your leader to do. I don't blame vets for not wanting to show, but I also understand that's why you have coaches and others to get on you. Manning did it right. He didn't give a press conference telling those guys to come in. He called them. Plus point to Manning.

2. Favre's press hits on Walker were bad form. This has already been done to death, but Favre should have picked up a phone if he had something to say. I don't jump Favre for thinking what he thought, but Favre is very press savy and knew exactly what he was doing. Does anyone honestly think using the press is ever a good way to deal with a teammate (at least if you want that person to remain your teammate)? I don't, and I think Favre showed poor leadership on Walker.

3. Walker is not a bad guy, from what I could tell. He's also not a very smart guy, from what the Wonderlick tells us. He never said anything about a Purple Heart, but he did say: "Anybody can (say), OK, he had a great year, let's see if he can do it again.' That's like trying to tell a person to go to war in Iraq, but let me see if you can go to war again and come back and then we'll give you a Medal of Honor. You can't send a soldier out to a battlefield twice for him to be consistent." Stupid, yes. Evidence of being a jerk, no, not really. His teammates, here and in Denver, have never complained about his -- in fact, just about everything I've read says he's a solid guy with a good work ethic. But the quote was stupid.

Charles Woodson
05-21-2007, 03:17 PM

He was a jerk? How?

So who gets the blame. Someone has to be the bad guy, do you blame favre for ""calling him out"" as people say, TT for not giving him a better deal or at least promising him something, or Walker?

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Let's just call it a draw.

With Javon being the more guilty. :twisted:

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 03:41 PM

He was a jerk? How?

So who gets the blame. Someone has to be the bad guy, do you blame favre for ""calling him out"" as people say, TT for not giving him a better deal or at least promising him something, or Walker?

:laugh: SNAPPER

Charles Woodson
05-21-2007, 03:55 PM

He was a jerk? How?

i agree

The Leaper
05-21-2007, 03:58 PM

It was a stupid comment and analogy. I don't think he is a jerk because of it. If most of us were openly quoted in the media with some of our daily comments, we'd probably look even more dumb.

The Leaper
05-21-2007, 04:11 PM

There is plenty of blame to go around. I agree with Noodle to an extent on Favre...although I disagree that this was some kind of "conceived" move on Favre's part where he "knew what he was doing". It wasn't like Favre called a press conference and had the notion this was what was going to get Walker back in camp.

Favre, like Walker, isn't exactly the brightest bulb when it comes to saying stuff. He is honest...but often that isn't the best approach in terms of making a public comment.

Thompson should not have IGNORED Walker. Walker painted himself into a corner. I don't think Walker truly was considering sitting out a portion of the season. He had been viewed up to that point as a strong worker and dependable player. He was making a point in the only way a player really can...sitting out in the offseason. Dozens of guys do this every year...you'd think it was something out of a Star Trek episode the way some Packer fans talk about it. I also do not agree about the "contract" thing. This is NOT like a regular business contract. NFL teams can opt out of the deal at any time with no future obligation to finish the terms of the deal, so I fail to see how this is similar to a typical "legal" contract that everyone loves to point to.

Thompson easily could have used the situation to his advantage and tried to get Walker to sign a new deal friendly to both sides. Instead, he chose to draw a line in the sand. A guy as talented as Walker who was not a character issue off the field is someone you should look to keep in town. I don't think Thompson did nearly enough to make this happen.

Walker said some very dumb stuff...but I do not disagree with his general opinion that he was worth more than his current deal and that he was risking a rather hefty sum of coin playing on the undervalued deal. He didn't have any real leverage...which is why the move didn't amount to anything, and why Thompson should have used the move to HIS advantage.

cpk1994
05-22-2007, 06:03 AM
but people do feel that if Brett had kept his yap shut, that Javon still may have been a Packer. Brett has a right to an opinion, but he should have made those comments to Javon's face like a man instead of hiding behind the press.

What 'people'????????

What people? Obviously you haven't read this forum alot and that is just one example. And yes, he did hide behind the media by taking his shots at Javon from there. I mean it takes a real tough guy to take shots at another when you are standing in front of a group of media while the other is miles away. Thats what I am getting at.

cpk1994
05-22-2007, 06:11 AM

There is plenty of blame to go around. I agree with Noodle to an extent on Favre...although I disagree that this was some kind of "conceived" move on Favre's part where he "knew what he was doing". It wasn't like Favre called a press conference and had the notion this was what was going to get Walker back in camp.

Favre, like Walker, isn't exactly the brightest bulb when it comes to saying stuff. He is honest...but often that isn't the best approach in terms of making a public comment.

Thompson should not have IGNORED Walker. Walker painted himself into a corner. I don't think Walker truly was considering sitting out a portion of the season. He had been viewed up to that point as a strong worker and dependable player. He was making a point in the only way a player really can...sitting out in the offseason. Dozens of guys do this every year...you'd think it was something out of a Star Trek episode the way some Packer fans talk about it. I also do not agree about the "contract" thing. This is NOT like a regular business contract. NFL teams can opt out of the deal at any time with no future obligation to finish the terms of the deal, so I fail to see how this is similar to a typical "legal" contract that everyone loves to point to.

Thompson easily could have used the situation to his advantage and tried to get Walker to sign a new deal friendly to both sides. Instead, he chose to draw a line in the sand. A guy as talented as Walker who was not a character issue off the field is someone you should look to keep in town. I don't think Thompson did nearly enough to make this happen.

Walker said some very dumb stuff...but I do not disagree with his general opinion that he was worth more than his current deal and that he was risking a rather hefty sum of coin playing on the undervalued deal. He didn't have any real leverage...which is why the move didn't amount to anything, and why Thompson should have used the move to HIS advantage.

But you are ignoring the fact that Javon had a major knee injury. At that point, no person in their right mind would pay Javon a hefty fee when they already had him under contract. I don't fault Thompson for this. You just don't give someone a hefty raise with 2 or more years left on it and you sure as hell don't give someone a huge raise afater they blow out their knee if you still have them under contract.

Scott Campbell
05-22-2007, 06:21 AM

It was a stupid comment and analogy. I don't think he is a jerk because of it. If most of us were openly quoted in the media with some of our daily comments, we'd probably look even more dumb.

I don't remember any kind of retraction or apology. I think a non-jerk would have apologized for the comment.

packinpatland
05-22-2007, 06:57 AM

What 'people'????????

What people? Obviously you haven't read this forum alot and that is just one example. And yes, he did hide behind the media by taking his shots at Javon from there. I mean it takes a real tough guy to take shots at another when you are standing in front of a group of media while the other is miles away. Thats what I am getting at.

When you used the word 'people', I thought you meant people that matter in the scheme of things. We at PR have our opinions, all worthy ones, but I don't think the Packer organization really takes these into consideration.

And for the record, I do read this forum alot, and altho, may not be 'football' savy as some, I hardly feel your comment, What people? Obviously you haven't read this forum alot and that is just one example, is justified. Or very nice for that matter. :wink:

Bretsky
05-22-2007, 07:46 AM

But you are ignoring the fact that Javon had a major knee injury. At that point, no person in their right mind would pay Javon a hefty fee when they already had him under contract. I don't fault Thompson for this. You just don't give someone a hefty raise with 2 or more years left on it and you sure as hell don't give someone a huge raise afater they blow out their knee if you still have them under contract.

More communication and some ego massaging; that is what TT could have done to make this situation better. Face to Face if need be.

The Leaper
05-22-2007, 08:09 AM

You are completely incorrect.

Walker did not have a major knee injury when he held out at first with 2 years still remaining on his contract. He was holding out PRECISELY because of the chance of injury, which could potentially hinder his chances at being able to cash in on the elite talent he showed over a 24 game period in 2003 and 2004.

Thompson chose to ignore him...which pissed Walker off and guaranteed that he would not remain in town once he did get injured.

Chester Marcol
05-22-2007, 08:56 AM

Exactly. I think the media knows enough to show up any time there is a Brett Favre event because they know he's an emotional speaker and they know they can bait him into saying what he does. I don't think Favre would ever, or has ever shown this, GO to the media. The media has always found him. As far as smarts, I don't think Favre would be the first man to let emotion get the better of judgement.

I think especially now that Favre is in the final leg of his career, it's equal doses of desperation for one last shot and his wearing his emotions on his sleeve. You have to take the flees with the dog. We praise him for being a fiery competitor than bash him for being passionate about wanting to win.

MadtownPacker
05-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Walker did not have a major knee injury when he held out at first with 2 years still remaining on his contract. He was holding out PRECISELY because of the chance of injury, which could potentially hinder his chances at being able to cash in on the elite talent he showed over a 24 game period in 2003 and 2004.
Sounds like he jinxed himself if you ask me. Kharma is always ready to bite you in the ass if you test it.

Had he keep his mouth shut, came in (like he did anyways) and maybe had his mind on his game instead of his wallet he might not have got hurt and gotten the fat contract he desired.

If you are gonna rip Favre for talking smack to the traitor javon then you should be really pissed at the traitor for dissing YOUR team.

IMO, once you ask out of the gang you are dead to me.

cpk1994
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM

Exactly. I think the media knows enough to show up any time there is a Brett Favre event because they know he's an emotional speaker and they know they can bait him into saying what he does. I don't think Favre would ever, or has ever shown this, GO to the media. The media has always found him. As far as smarts, I don't think Favre would be the first man to let emotion get the better of judgement.

I think especially now that Favre is in the final leg of his career, it's equal doses of desperation for one last shot and his wearing his emotions on his sleeve. You have to take the flees with the dog. We praise him for being a fiery competitor than bash him for being passionate about wanting to win.

Oh really? Remember when Chris Mortensen went to Mississippi to interview Brett about Super Bowl XL(can't remember the exact year but it was during Super Bowl week)? Brett brought up his retiremtn decision on his own. In fact, Mort stated later he wasn't going to ask any of those questions but Brett brought it up. So in a way, Brett has gone to the media once.

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Who cares if he's gone to the media or not? He's in his late-30s now. Five years ago he was approaching his mid-30s. The team was going to find a replacement--whether he said he'd play forever or not. QBs that approach their mid-30s deteriorate in a hurry--either because of dimished skills or injuries. He can waver on retirement all he wants. He's not obligated to give the Packers an answer--especially since he likely wasn't sure if he wanted to play or not.

Freak Out
05-22-2007, 11:23 AM

He was a jerk? How?

%100

Chester Marcol
05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Oh really? Remember when Chris Mortensen went to Mississippi to interview Brett about Super Bowl XL(can't remember the exact year but it was during Super Bowl week)? Brett brought up his retiremtn decision on his own. In fact, Mort stated later he wasn't going to ask any of those questions but Brett brought it up. So in a way, Brett has gone to the media once.

Can any one spot the contradiction? You're trying to tell me that the media isn't smart enough to know if they sit down with Brett that he just might open up about whatever the current topic is? When the Walker thing was going down, do you think the media actually thought they would be wasting a trip to Mississippi to get a blurb from Favre?

The media knows exactly who their cash cow is and exactly how to milk him.

cpk1994
05-23-2007, 08:36 AM

Can any one spot the contradiction? You're trying to tell me that the media isn't smart enough to know if they sit down with Brett that he just might open up about whatever the current topic is? When the Walker thing was going down, do you think the media actually thought they would be wasting a trip to Mississippi to get a blurb from Favre?

The media knows exactly who their cash cow is and exactly how to milk him.Mort went down to Mississippi to talk to Favre about his thoughts on the Super Bowl. Not about Walker. Not about his possible retirement. I simply pointed out that Brett had gone on about retirement at least once without any media prodding.

packinpatland
05-23-2007, 08:45 AM
If the Packers were not in the SB, why would Mortensen go all the way down to get Favre's 'thoughts' on the game? Who cared??

Enough already. :beat:

cpk1994
05-23-2007, 10:58 AM
If the Packers were not in the SB, why would Mortensen go all the way down to get Favre's 'thoughts' on the game? Who cared??

Enough already. :beat:

I don't why Mort would go down there, I just pointed out that he did go down there and Brett turned it from a interview about the SB to one about himself.