PDA

View Full Version : Vicodin

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
I had knee surgery a couple days ago, would someone please tell be how vicodin can be an addictive drug? All it does is put me to sleep.

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Insomniacs?

LL2
05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Ask Favre. He was addicted to it years ago.

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 01:01 PM
That 's the reason I'm asking. Apparently it must affect people differently.

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, have you barfed on the sidelines yet or are you waiting for the PR game to do that? If you haven't, I'd say you're good.

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM
:) :) :) :lol:

Merlin
05-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Vicodin never did anything for me, neither did Codene.

They have non-narcotic pain killers available, those didn't work for me either.

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 02:22 PM
I hope you are a 'silent sufferer' then. :)
Kidding aside, that really sucks.

Bretsky
05-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I had knee surgery a couple days ago, would someone please tell be how vicodin can be an addictive drug? All it does is put me to sleep.

I hope your knee is doing well, and I hope it was not a torn ACL. I had that surgery four years ago and it was the most painful experience and rehab I ever experienced. When I woke up out of surgery it felt like somebody stuck a pitchfork in my knee and was twisting it.

Lots of Vicodin those days

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm going to be just fine. I tore the meniscus tendon. Nowdays, the surgery is prettty low-key, thank goodness nothing like you had with an ACL.

Funny side note, Dr. recommends strengthening type exercise, low-impact, like swimming. We opened the pool early this year in anticipation of this surgery, (weather is not cooperating tho), went out Sat. morning and found a pair of ducks in the pool! They were back again this a.m.
We've had the darn pool 17 years, never had this problem! :roll:

Zool
05-21-2007, 03:22 PM

I hope your knee is doing well, and I hope it was not a torn ACL. I had that surgery four years ago and it was the most painful experience and rehab I ever experienced. When I woke up out of surgery it felt like somebody stuck a pitchfork in my knee and was twisting it.

Lots of Vicodin those daysHad the same thing 5 years ago. Have the scope pictures framed. My ACL looked like some sort of sea plantlife. 100% torn. Good times.

swede
05-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Well, if you're sleeping it must be working. :)

Not everyone has the psychological and physiological predispositions that combine to create an addiction.

The addictive personality has a much stronger attachment to the drowsy sensation of narcotic pain relievers. (I myself feel intermittent electrical rushes down the neural pathways that are quite enchanting whenever I take vicodin or oxycontin. I can easily see the appeal, but rational thought drives me back from the abyss.) The physical sensations are only one link in the complex web of behaviors and urges that are at work in the chemically dependent.

The crazy thing is that many doctors keep their patients in unecessary pain by underprescribing pain medication. They are almost obsessively fearful of creating addictions in their patients and so my poor 80 year old mother in law has a double knee replacement and gets a three day supply of vicodin tablets. After that ibuprofen was all she could use.

On the bright side, she hasn't knocked over any mini-marts to fuel her raging addiction.

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I've never heard the description 'enchanting' used before.
I'd gladly send your mother-in-law my unused drugs. :)

oregonpackfan
05-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I had pretty invasive foot surgery a few years ago(neuroma on the ball of the foot)

My podiatrist prescribed taking vicodin BEFORE I experienced any pain from the surgery, or before the anesthesia wore off. She insisted I maintain the regular dosage of medication even if I did not feel any strong pain.

Her reasoning was the body will maintain a certain level of pain-numbing medication.

I did follow her instructions to the letter and was able to break off the Vicodin within 4 days of the surgery without any withdrawal or side effects.

packinpatland
05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I had pretty invasive foot surgery a few years ago(neuroma on the ball of the foot)

My podiatrist prescribed taking vicodin BEFORE I experienced any pain from the surgery, or before the anesthesia wore off. She insisted I maintain the regular dosage of medication even if I did not feel any strong pain.

Her reasoning was the body will maintain a certain level of pain-numbing medication.

I did follow her instructions to the letter and was able to break off the Vicodin within 4 days of the surgery without any withdrawal or side effects.

Hope all is ok now.

GrnBay007
05-21-2007, 06:12 PM
All it does is put me to sleep.

Same affect on me with vicodin. But for someone that doesn't sleep that well, it was kinda refreshing. :P

retailguy
05-21-2007, 08:25 PM

The problem is that you are taking ONE. If you want the "effect" that a drug addict feels, you need to take three or four. (Please know I'm not suggesting you do it, I'm just explaining). :wink:

MJZiggy
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Wouldn't that put you in a coma?

retailguy
05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Not everyone has the psychological and physiological predispositions that combine to create an addiction.

This is not entirely true. Perhaps true of alcoholism, but NOT true of drug addiction.

If I kidnap someone, and hold them captive until they consume a massive amount of alcohol, they "might" become addicted to it, and they might just live a normal life after their "release", continuing to drink socially but not addictively. If I do the same experiment with a narcotic drug, illegal or legal, that person, *WILL* be addicted to that drug when they are released provided they've consumed enough of it.

That's the difference between alcoholism and drug addiction.

retailguy
05-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Wouldn't that put you in a coma?

that would depend entirely on the "tolerance" level of the person consuming it.

retailguy
05-21-2007, 08:35 PM
I have some generic Flexeril for muscle spasms in my back. My wife wrenched her back a few months back and I gave her one. Put her right to sleep, drooling and everything. Couldn't wake her up... Was pretty funny.

I used to take 2 of them at a time, during the worst days, just to get through the day working. Get a wicked case of dry mouth, and feel a bit tired, but it numbs the pain enough to get through the day.

Just the difference in people... and their reaction to drugs.

oregonpackfan
05-21-2007, 09:34 PM

Hope all is ok now.

It did relieve about 95% of the pain in my foot. I can still run about 3 X week but my marathoning days ended with that surgery.

CyclonePackFan
05-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I got put on Vicocodine when my throat was closing up from Mono. I remember feeling like I was living in the 3rd person, and having really messed up dreams (didn't help that I was also horribly fatigued and malnourished between wrestling and not being able to fit anything down my throat at the time).

Took Vicoprofin this year when I got a wisdom tooth yanked. Did nothing to me (was great for pain, though)

packinpatland
05-22-2007, 07:00 AM
I read somewhere, or saw it on tape, that because of his addiction, when Favre had his wisdom teeth removed, he didn't/couldn't take any pain killers.

What a man. :)

MadtownPacker
05-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Try crushing them up and sniffing them. :twisted: