PDA

View Full Version : Morency Adds 10 Pounds

woodbuck27
05-22-2007, 01:57 PM
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/21/beefcake-packers-morency-adds-10-pounds/

Beefcake! Packers' Morency Adds 10 Pounds

Posted May 21st 2007 7:09PM by Dan Benton

Packers' running back Vernand Morency is coming into camp knowing that he has every opportunity to win the starting job. He helped his cause this offseason by adding 10 pounds of "lean muscle" and is now up to 220.

Those additional 10 pounds could make a world of difference when it comes to shedding would-be tacklers. So long as his speed isn't negatively affected, he could legitimately improve on his 4.5 yards per carry average.

The only real obstacle Morency faces from now to the start of the season is winning the job.

Rookie running back Brandon Jackson has gotten rave reviews, while there have also been a few reports that the Packers could use a running back by committee.

Partial
05-22-2007, 02:08 PM
I told ya guys. 1000+ yards for Morency. 400+ for JAckson. They're going to have a good running attack and the loss of Green won't be big by any means.

the_idle_threat
05-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm hoping for RBBC. It's terrible for fantasy football, but seems to work just fine in the real world. Just ask any of the NFC or AFC championship teams last year. Or for that matter, the '96 Packers.

Joemailman
05-22-2007, 04:32 PM
http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/21/beefcake-packers-morency-adds-10-pounds/

Packers' running back Vernand Morency is coming into camp knowing that he has every opportunity to win the starting job. He helped his cause this offseason by adding 10 pounds of "lean muscle" and is now up to 220.

Those additional 10 pounds could make a world of difference when it comes to shedding would-be tacklers. So long as his speed isn't negatively affected, he could legitimately improve on his 4.5 yards per carry average.

The only real obstacle Morency faces from now to the start of the season is winning the job.

Rookie running back Brandon Jackson has gotten rave reviews, while there have also been a few reports that the Packers could use a running back by committee.

I'm optimistic about Jackson, but where did he get "rave reviews" from? From a 3-day mini-camp with a bunch of other rookies? :cnf:

cpk1994
05-23-2007, 01:05 AM

Maybe they cherry picked posts from this site. :P

I'm optimistic about Jackson, but where did he get "rave reviews" from? From a 3-day mini-camp with a bunch of other rookies? :cnf:

Guiness
05-23-2007, 06:13 AM
I'm hoping for the best for him as well. I do hope this 10lb will help him finish his runs with more 'pop'.

But Woody - improve on his 4.5yds/carry average? I hope you mean 'maintain that over the season'? If he improved on that over the course of a season, LT's looking in the rear view mirror!!!

wist43
05-23-2007, 07:11 AM
If Morency can prove to be an every down back (300+ carries) who can lower his shoulder and get the tough yd... then, I'll gladly eat my words.

But, heretofor, Morency has been a 3rd down back who plays like a 3rd down back. He's a slasher who runs small and rather than trying to hit up in there and move the pile for the tough yard, he'll dance in the backfield until someone grabs him, and then he goes down pretty easily - that's who Vernand Morency is.

Morency is a good 3rd down back, but that's all he is.

I'd much rather see Jackson win the starting job and have Morency come off the bench... if you've got Vernand Morency as your starter at RB, you've got major problems.

retailguy
05-23-2007, 07:48 AM
I told ya guys. 1000+ yards for Morency. 400+ for JAckson. They're going to have a good running attack and the loss of Green won't be big by any means.

I'll remind you of this.... :P :wink:

Patler
05-23-2007, 07:48 AM
He's a slasher who runs small and rather than trying to hit up in there and move the pile for the tough yard, he'll dance in the backfield until someone grabs him, and then he goes down pretty easily - that's who Vernand Morency is.

I have no idea where you got that opinion from. He is not a dancer. He is basically a one cut runner who shows some patience. But he is not a dancer by any means.

If you expect him to run as aggressively as Green, or with as much "attitude" as Green, you will be disppointed. But then again only a select few in the NFL do run like Green. Green was a luxury in that regard, which may be difficult to replace. But you can still have a successful running game with other types of runners.

I don't know how much of a load Morrency can handle, but in his last year of college he had 258 carries for 1,474 yards in 11 games (23.5 carries/game). That projects to 375 over a 16 game schedule. Obviously you can't equate the rigors of the NFL with the NCAA, nor can you assume he can maintain the same pace over 16 games that he did for 11, but the fact remains that he did carry a fair amount as a starter.

wist43
05-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I don't think having a back that can lower his shoulder and move the pile is a "luxury"... I think it's a necessity. Which is why in the draft I was hoping for a bigger player, Dwight Wright comes to mind... I use him as an example b/c of his size/speed combo.

Jackson on the other hand, seems to be a carbon copy of Morency... I don't see either as having the ability to get the tough yd.

For Morency, all I have to go on is last years tape... he's shifty, quick, makes decisive cuts, and goes... what he does not do, is play a physical game.

Simply b/c he gained some weight doesn't mean he's going to change his running style... and besides, those added pounds are likely to melt off w/in the first couple weeks of camp.

gureski
05-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm not sure Morency is the, lower the shoulders and run through guys kind of runner. He doesn't have to be to succeed. The added weight will help but I'm on this kids bandwagon, if not the first guy to jump on the bandwagon going back to the start of free agency. I think he's got a chance to succeed. I don't see him as being our power back though. The Packers need to find a short-yardage back. With the make-up of their roster, I think they'll try Jackson in that role first. They don't seem to have room for a power back.

Patler
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
I don't think having a back that can lower his shoulder and move the pile is a "luxury"... I think it's a necessity. Which is why in the draft I was hoping for a bigger player, Dwight Wright comes to mind... I use him as an example b/c of his size/speed combo.

Jackson on the other hand, seems to be a carbon copy of Morency... I don't see either as having the ability to get the tough yd.

For Morency, all I have to go on is last years tape... he's shifty, quick, makes decisive cuts, and goes... what he does not do, is play a physical game.

Simply b/c he gained some weight doesn't mean he's going to change his running style... and besides, those added pounds are likely to melt off w/in the first couple weeks of camp.

I meant "luxury" in the sense that a back with power and speed, like Green, doesn't come around all the time. It's great when you have one, but without one you can make do in other ways.

I pretty much agree with your description of Morrency, which is why I said he is not a dancer. In my understanding, a "dancer" is an indecisive runner, a runner who shuns contact. Morrency is decisive, and doesn't seem to fear contact, but a bruising runner he is not! I agree the weight gain, like Ferguson's, could be very short-lived when the season rolls around, although some can build muscle and keep it. That's usually younger bodies than Morrency or Ferguson.

I haven't seen enough of Jackson to have any feel for how similar or dissimilar he is to Morrency. Third and 2 could be entirely passing downs.

Partial
05-23-2007, 10:39 AM

Clinton Portis my friend.

Partial
05-23-2007, 10:40 AM

You make it seem like it would be hell to have a Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers. Clinton Portis and Reggie Bush are both good, solid players and they don't push piles back.

wist43
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM

You make it seem like it would be hell to have a Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers. Clinton Portis and Reggie Bush are both good, solid players and they don't push piles back.

Sanders and Sayers are both HOF'ers, and they broke the mold when they made those guys... Portis is a fairly tough runner, and Bush is just an all around weapon.

I don't think it's even legal to utter Morency's name in with those other guys.

LL2
05-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I agree with Partial. LT isn’t a pile pusher either. GB doesn’t need a pile pusher to have a successful running game. AG might have been more of a pile pusher but he was also a fumbler.

the_idle_threat
05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
LOL @ "pile pusher"

Nevermind!!! :twisted:

Patler
05-23-2007, 04:32 PM
AG might have been more of a pile pusher but he was also a fumbler.

Now you have gone and done it! My pet peeve, categorizing Green as a fumbler more so than a lot of other backs! :x

These are just some of the present day runningbacks who fumble more frequently than Ahman Green (fumbles per "touch")

Jamal Lewis
Ricky Williams
Travis Henry
Willie Parker
Chris Brown
Correl Buckhalter
Michael Pittman
Dominic Rhodes
Najeh Davenport

With just one more career fumble each, Reuben Droughs and Frank Gore would also be on the list.

LL2
05-23-2007, 04:42 PM
AG might have been more of a pile pusher but he was also a fumbler.

Now you have gone and done it! My pet peeve, categorizing Green as a fumbler more so than a lot of other backs! :x

These are just some of the present day runningbacks who fumble more frequently than Ahman Green (fumbles per "touch")

Jamal Lewis
Ricky Williams
Travis Henry
Willie Parker
Chris Brown
Correl Buckhalter
Michael Pittman
Dominic Rhodes
Najeh Davenport

With just one more career fumble each, Reuben Droughs and Frank Gore would also be on the list.

Well, I wouldn't want any of them playing for the Pack either. Parker and Buckhalter maybe, but pass on the rest for sure. Especially doobie boy Williams.

the_idle_threat
05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I betcha ol' Ricky doesn't fumble the peace pipe! :twisted:

Joemailman
05-23-2007, 05:57 PM
If Morency can prove to be an every down back (300+ carries) who can lower his shoulder and get the tough yd... then, I'll gladly eat my words.

But, heretofor, Morency has been a 3rd down back who plays like a 3rd down back. He's a slasher who runs small and rather than trying to hit up in there and move the pile for the tough yard, he'll dance in the backfield until someone grabs him, and then he goes down pretty easily - that's who Vernand Morency is.

Morency is a good 3rd down back, but that's all he is.

I'd much rather see Jackson win the starting job and have Morency come off the bench... if you've got Vernand Morency as your starter at RB, you've got major problems.

I doubt the Packers have any intention of having Morency carry the ball 300+ times, especially since they drafted Jackson on the 2nd round. Ahman Green only had that many carries twice in his career. I think the blueprint for what the Packers would like to do would be Indianapolis. Joseph Addai had 226 carries and Dominic Rhodes had 187. No need to wear one guy out if you have 2 good backs.

retailguy
05-23-2007, 05:58 PM

Ummm. No. Nothing indicates that. Portis excelled because his line opened holes. Nothing indicates at this point that our line will be remotely representative of Denver's line. If it is, Morency will do well, if it isn't, Morency will stink, just like the rest of the team.

Partial
05-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Ummm. No. Nothing indicates that. Portis excelled because his line opened holes. Nothing indicates at this point that our line will be remotely representative of Denver's line. If it is, Morency will do well, if it isn't, Morency will stink, just like the rest of the team.

You guys over estimate denvers line. Do you not remember Jake the snake and the michigan guy running for their lives? Their line is NOT that good. Certainly not top 5. Probably top 15.

retailguy
05-23-2007, 06:03 PM
You guys over estimate denvers line. Do you not remember Jake the snake and the michigan guy running for their lives? Their line is NOT that good. Certainly not top 5. Probably top 15.

But, Partial, their line did something consistently that our line has not - opened holes in the run game. Denver has not "developed" backs that have been successful anywhere else in the league. It was the "system" not the back.

Portis is a shell of the runner he was in Denver.

So, maybe statistically Denver is not highly ranked, HOWEVER, they consistently run block well. Nothing about 2006 indicates that our line run blocks consistently well. Nothing.

Maybe they will in 2007, but to this point, they HAVE NOT.

Partial
05-23-2007, 06:20 PM

But, Partial, their line did something consistently that our line has not - opened holes in the run game. Denver has not "developed" backs that have been successful anywhere else in the league. It was the "system" not the back.

So, maybe statistically Denver is not highly ranked, HOWEVER, they consistently run block well. Nothing about 2006 indicates that our line run blocks consistently well. Nothing.

They did better than you think. They started 3 rookies much of the year. What the heck did you expect? One was a converted tight end who became a fat boy and lacked muscle. I suspect they will be much more prepared to go this season. You are underrating the OL last year. They were decent. This year they will be your typical ron wolfe line that is good enough to win. aka solid but unspectacular.

retailguy
05-23-2007, 07:28 PM
They did better than you think. They started 3 rookies much of the year. What the heck did you expect? One was a converted tight end who became a fat boy and lacked muscle. I suspect they will be much more prepared to go this season. You are underrating the OL last year. They were decent. This year they will be your typical ron wolfe line that is good enough to win. aka solid but unspectacular.

When did they do better than I think? Against Arizona? I vividly remember the New England, New York, and Minnesota (In Lambeau) games. The OL sucked all three of those games. Bubba's new nickname should be "max protect". Yes, I know they've said they have a plan to eliminate that, but, we'll see.

What I expected is that they'd hold onto a known commodity at RB until it was PROVEN that the line is stabilized. Tauscher and Clifton were "rocks" last year too. Cliffys knees are bad. Well performed at "near pro-bowl" level last year and the line still sucked. What is DIFFERENT in 2007? Other than, Spitz and Colledge gained some muscle, and a bit of experience (that's a good thing), not much changed. You forget that, most DT's gained some muscle and another year of experience too.

I'm not saying that the line will be as bad in 2007 as it was in 2006, however, I'm not thinking we're going to gain 1,400 yards on the ground in 2007 either. (Per your predictions).

It's going to be a rough six weeks to start the year. I'll check back with you week 7...

Bretsky
05-23-2007, 07:43 PM

Our expectations should be that if the best talent the GM gives us in three rookies than they should be adquate IMO

Partial
05-23-2007, 07:59 PM

When did they do better than I think? Against Arizona? I vividly remember the New England, New York, and Minnesota (In Lambeau) games. The OL sucked all three of those games. Bubba's new nickname should be "max protect". Yes, I know they've said they have a plan to eliminate that, but, we'll see.

What I expected is that they'd hold onto a known commodity at RB until it was PROVEN that the line is stabilized. Tauscher and Clifton were "rocks" last year too. Cliffys knees are bad. Well performed at "near pro-bowl" level last year and the line still sucked. What is DIFFERENT in 2007? Other than, Spitz and Colledge gained some muscle, and a bit of experience (that's a good thing), not much changed. You forget that, most DT's gained some muscle and another year of experience too.

I'm not saying that the line will be as bad in 2007 as it was in 2006, however, I'm not thinking we're going to gain 1,400 yards on the ground in 2007 either. (Per your predictions).

It's going to be a rough six weeks to start the year. I'll check back with you week 7...

3 games... against premiere run defenses. Every offensive line sucked against those guys. You're living in a fantasy world. Most of the conferences DTs got worse. Illinois have a DT that tore his ACL in one of the final weeks of the season. No way is he even near 100%. Pat Williams is another year older on his legs. He will be worse. Shaun Rodgers is probably going to smoke and eat himself out of the league.

I am not at all worried about the offensive line or the offense. We've got holes at TE, thats about it. Lost time.

Bretsky
05-23-2007, 08:31 PM

3 games... against premiere run defenses. Every offensive line sucked against those guys. You're living in a fantasy world. Most of the conferences DTs got worse. Illinois have a DT that tore his ACL in one of the final weeks of the season. No way is he even near 100%. Pat Williams is another year older on his legs. He will be worse. Shaun Rodgers is probably going to smoke and eat himself out of the league.

I am not at all worried about the offensive line or the offense. We've got holes at TE, thats about it. Lost time.

Pat Williams WORSE ?

He's still relatively young

Not worried about anything but TE ? That's it ?

Gosh you make it sound like we are a contender; I sure hope you expect nothing less than a playoff victory if you truly think we are that good.

Charles Woodson
05-23-2007, 08:40 PM

Pat Williams WORSE ?

Gosh you make it sound like we are a contender; I sure hope you expect nothing less than a playoff victory if you truly think we are that good.

As much as i hate to even side with partial 33 isnt relatively young (in football standards) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Williams_%28football_player%29

Charles Woodson
05-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Pat Williams WORSE ?

Actually Espn says 34 years old

Zool
05-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Maybe he was thinking of Kevin?

Rastak
05-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Until Pat actually slows down and starts sucking it'll be like you guys with Favre....we will all assume he'll be quite good.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Until Pat actually slows down and starts sucking it'll be like you guys with Favre....we will all assume he'll be quite good.

Not really. More QBs have played well late in their careers than DTs. The legs go before the arm. Not too many DTs have dominated much after they hit Pat's age. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell off this year. He had a career year last year.

Rastak
05-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Not really. More QBs have played well late in their careers than DTs. The legs go before the arm. Not too many DTs have dominated much after they hit Pat's age. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell off this year. He had a career year last year.

Yea, I understand what you are saying, but how many guys have a career year at 33? How many dominant QB's do you see at 38? None.....pretty similar if you think about it. I agree the potential for decline is there in both guys. It's just a bit easier to replace a DT.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2007, 09:01 PM
The only difference is Favre hasn't been dominant for a couple of years, and he won't be this year. Pat was dominant last year. Like I said, good chance he falls off this year. Of course, I thought he was the best DT in the NFL last year.

Rastak
05-23-2007, 09:04 PM
The only difference is Favre hasn't been dominant for a couple of years, and he won't be this year. Pat was dominant last year. Like I said, good chance he falls off this year. Of course, I thought he was the best DT in the NFL last year.

Maybe Harrell will break out and you guys will be crowing about him....I've heard lots of good things about him since the draft. Bring on the pre-season....

Bretsky
05-23-2007, 10:38 PM

OH CRAP, you hit it on the head. I was thinking of Kevin. My bad

Partial
05-24-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm not necessarily thinking playoff victory but I think we're in the 8 most talented teams in the NFC.

IF MM uses his players in a manner to minimize weaknesses and focus on their positives, he could be very successful. Just like Billy B does over in NE.

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm hoping for the best for him as well. I do hope this 10lb will help him finish his runs with more 'pop'.

But Woody - improve on his 4.5yds/carry average? I hope you mean 'maintain that over the season'? If he improved on that over the course of a season, LT's looking in the rear view mirror!!!

''But Woody - improve on his 4.5yds/carry average?'' fr. above

YUP !

That's an average I'll accept. :)