PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Kind of interesting. This Pelissero guy previously covered the Vikings for a Twin Cities media outlet. However, I believe this is his first year covering the Packers, so it's mildly encouraging that he mentioned Rodgers first in a chat for the Press Gazette.

Tom, who caught your eye in the mini camp over the weekend?

TOM PELISSERO: Aaron Rodgers only did 7-on-7 and position drills, but I think everyone who watched him was impressed. Two unknowns worth mentioning are Josh Bourke, who was surprisingly steady when Chad Clifton sat out a practice, and 6-foot-1 defensive end DeVon Hicks, who might have to change positions but deserves a shot down the line.

Rastak
05-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Kind of interesting. This Pelissero guy previously covered the Vikings for a Twin Cities media outlet. However, I believe this is his first year covering the Packers, so it's mildly encouraging that he mentioned Rodgers first in a chat for the Press Gazette.

TOM PELISSERO: Aaron Rodgers only did 7-on-7 and position drills, but I think everyone who watched him was impressed. Two unknowns worth mentioning are Josh Bourke, who was surprisingly steady when Chad Clifton sat out a practice, and 6-foot-1 defensive end DeVon Hicks, who might have to change positions but deserves a shot down the line.

I thought that guys that previously covered the Vikings were all idiots?
Every time Don Banks says something it's "well, he used to cover the Vikes"

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

edit: That having been said.... :) I'm sure any pro Rodgers comments have to be encouraging. I'm guessing he's the man next year, or maybe this depending on injuries...(unlikely of course).

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Other interesting question & answers:

Hi Tom
It looks like you have spent some time covering the Vikings. What are your thoughts on Randy Moss? Could he have helped the Packers this year, or is he more trouble than what he is worth?

TOM PELISSERO: I covered the Vikings in 2003 and '04, Moss' last two seasons in Minnesota. It's amazing how far he's fallen since then.

I'll say this: If I'm an NFL coach, there is no player I'm more scared of facing than a healthy, motivated Randy Moss. It sounds like he's healthy now, and there's no greater motivation for a guy like him than playing on a one-year contract.

I hear Bubba Franks was relegated to the 2nd team at the minicamp (or at least at first). Sounds like the coaching staff is firing a shot across the bow to Bubba. Basically get used to be a backup or start producing. I wasn't too impressed by his unemotional reaction during his locker room interviews. Does this guy really care if he starts or not? Maybe thats just his personality.

Has Donald Lee really improved or was it more a matter of his experience that got him the move up on the depth chart? Any of the other TEs in camp give any reason for optimism?

TOM PELISSERO: I'm not sure the coaches are trying to motivate Bubba Franks, but it's clear Donald Lee's work in the zone blocking scheme has impressed them. Tory Humphrey taking reps off Franks is a bigger surprise.

Rookie Clark Harris did nothing to distinguish himself in minicamp, and Zac Alcorn got hurt on the first day. That, folks, is your tight end corps.

Anyone standout at the fullback position from this weekend's minicamp? Any impressions about the new guy (Kory Hall?).

TOM PELISSERO: Fullback is a position that's tough to read until players are in pads. As noted earlier, Corey White made a splash and could be a combo back. Korey Hall caught the only pass I saw thrown to him, and I didn't see him getting nagged a lot by the coaches -- good signs for a converted linebacker. As of today, Brandon Miree is your starter.

Tom,

Thanks for all the updates from mini camp. I know it is only mini camp and they are not in pads but who stood out the most? I remember last year everyone was very impressed with Jennings and knew he looked the part. Were there any new guys or vets who looked like they improved greatly? Did James Jones stand out the way Jennings did?

Thanks!

TOM PELISSERO: James Jones didn't catch my eye in either minicamp, and I don't think he's an eye-catching type of player. He seems like a steady guy with decent speed and fairly good hands -- little flash, little big-play ability. But if he's willing to work the middle and take some hits, I think he'll be a good fit.

Could there be a chance that TT really did pick the BPAs in the draft? After all we so called experts only have the published guides and Mayock and Kiper as resources.

TOM PELISSERO: BPA (best player available) is a subjective term. On the Packers' draft board, I absolutely believe these were the guys -- or at least guys who were darn near the top when their names were called. As an NFL coach once told me, if you flinch and draft a player who's 10 spots lower on your board, what's the point of making a board in the first place?

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM

I don't like Banks much. I didn't like him in Minnesota, and he seems to have an anti-Packers bias. I really don't remember Pelissero much, and I can't say that I read too much of their daily training camp coverage. Just wanted to note that he mentioned Rodgers first when asked who impressed. No matter who it is, that's encouraging to me. I believe the PFT guy is a Vikings fan, and he's a complete douchebag.

Bretsky
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM

Every time Don Banks says something it's "well, he used to cover the Vikes"

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

edit: That having been said.... :) I'm sure any pro Rodgers comments have to be encouraging. I'm guessing he's the man next year, or maybe this depending on injuries...(unlikely of course).

GREAT

An Ex Viking writer saying positive things about AROD

After witnessing all the junk in Minnesota, anything might look good at QB :lol: :wink:

Rastak
05-22-2007, 09:33 PM

I don't like Banks much. I didn't like him in Minnesota, and he seems to have an anti-Packers bias. I really don't remember Pelissero much, and I can't say that I read too much of their daily training camp coverage. Just wanted to note that he mentioned Rodgers first when asked who impressed. No matter who it is, that's encouraging to me. I believe the PFT guy is a Vikings fan, and he's a complete douchebag.

Yea, I don't recall the guy either. Not sure on the Banks anti-Packer bias...I suppose anyone who disagrees with what they do could be considered anti-Packer.
I'll have to take your word for it since you'd most likely notice it before me. PFT guy is indeed a vikes fan. Funny dude too. He's got a helluva following. You must admit this is at least a little funny? (from ptf.com)

Brett's effort to prove that he's "just one of the guys" needs a little work.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/Favremobile.jpg[/url]

LL2
05-23-2007, 09:04 AM

Yea, I don't recall the guy either. Not sure on the Banks anti-Packer bias...I suppose anyone who disagrees with what they do could be considered anti-Packer.
I'll have to take your word for it since you'd most likely notice it before me. PFT guy is indeed a vikes fan. Funny dude too. He's got a helluva following. You must admit this is at least a little funny? (from ptf.com)

Hey, nothing wrong with a little royal treatment for LeFavre. As far as Arod goes, I hope he’s going to start being impressive, but I thought I read that in one drill he was picked off twice. I’ve been pulling for Arod for a while and I sure hope this summer during preseason he starts showing he cam produce and be the guy.

packinpatland
05-23-2007, 09:10 AM

Hey, nothing wrong with a little royal treatment for LeFavre. As far as Arod goes, I hope he’s going to start being impressive, but I thought I read that in one drill he was picked off twice. I’ve been pulling for Arod for a while and I sure hope this summer during preseason he starts showing he cam produce and be the guy.

Isn't this alittle better than 'royal'? Looks like the pope-mobile to me. :lol:

the_idle_threat
05-23-2007, 03:00 PM
That thing must get terrible gas mileage on the highway. :idea:

LL2
05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
That thing must get terrible gas mileage on the highway. :idea:

Gas mileage is only a concern for those of us on the lower echelon of life. Not those of LeFavre status.

Joemailman
05-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Isn't this alittle better than 'royal'? Looks like the pope-mobile to me. :lol:

Surprised P.J. Pope can afford something like that.

Partial
05-23-2007, 06:21 PM
A Rod has gotta add some depth to his torso. He needs to hit the rows, deadlifts and squats hard. He is so scrawny it looks like he'll break in half.