PDA

View Full Version : Partial Pre-preseason prediction

Partial
05-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I am really starting to get onboard with this offense. I really don't feel that they will have any trouble at all moving the football between the 20s. I suspect they will still have difficulty against a goal-line defensive formation where the box is stacked.

I am not at all worried about the receiving core. There seems to be a consensus of running back by comittee works around the league. Why not receiver by comittee?

Here are a few points I'd like to make:
- Jenning is a surprisingly good deep threat. He has better body control that DD and made several long catches last year and broke a tackle or two.
- DD is great at taking a slant to the house. He is a very solid player.
- JJ has the size to go over the middle and do the dirty work routes.
- Martin has the size to be a red-zone factor and a great jump ball receiver.
- speedy mcvirginiatech has the speed to stretch the field.

While not a single one of these guys is a bonafide super-duper stud who can do it all, by putting the right combination of those guys on the field they can accomplish what they need to and create mismatches to their advantage.

The running game will be improved because the offensive line will be better, and their is also better depth now to handle the inevitable injuries. Once the running game gets going, you know speedy mcvirginiatech is going to be on the field a lot more, even if it is just to keep the defense honest with the playaction. Consequently, having a burner running down the field is going to keep the safeties honest and playing back.

Perhaps it is the bottle of water I just drank talking, but I am not at all concerned about the offense. In fact, I think it could surprise quite a few people around the league and be a top 8 offense.

retailguy
05-23-2007, 05:59 PM
What was in your water? :shock:

Seriously, what do you see in our offensive line that indicates that we'll have a top 8 offense? Inquiring minds want to know! :P

RashanGary
05-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I see a group of 2nd year guys who were pretty solid in their rookie years but got overpowered on almost every play. I see those same guys being talked up by the coaching staff for making huge strides in their physical strength.

With that in mind, I expect a big jump on Oline play in 07 and with that in mind, I agree with Partial.

Partial
05-23-2007, 06:18 PM
What was in your water? :shock:

Seriously, what do you see in our offensive line that indicates that we'll have a top 8 offense? Inquiring minds want to know! :P

Mark Tausher is a rock. One of the best right tackles in the league for a right-handed qb. Clifton is an animal. He is a top-tier left tackle. Wells played at near a pro-bowl level. Colledge and Spitz are in their second year and are going to be more familiar and play much better.

They had a hard time running inside the redzones. I suspect that same problem will exist. But, I don't think they are going to need to pound it in that often.

gbpackfan
05-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I can't say that they will be improved over last year until I see them on the field. But adding James Jones does make me feel a lot better :roll:

MadtownPacker
05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
speedy mcvirginiatech has the speed to stretch the field. Great name! Good post too. What we all talked about all offseason didn't happen and now we are gonna see what the young guys can do. I am especially interested seeing what Clowney can do. He looks supadupa fast and if he can catch it he will get to make some big plays. Seemed like he had to come back to the ball on just about all of his highlight vids. I would like to see Favre launch one as far as he can to Speedy McVT, see if he can outrun it.
Hell, just have him go deep every play. That alone would make him worth having on the field.

BobDobbs
05-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm interested in seeing the improved receiver core on the field. I think they'll be better. I'm really worried about the Tight End group. In the red zone just having a big body can create just enough room to score a touchdown. But you still have to get open and you still have to catch it.

Unless the new Nebrasks back turns out to be rookie of the year our only reasonable hope lies with the O-line. They must have gotten stronger, but they were pretty weak. It usually takes O-lineman until their third year to really be professional quality. I don't think that they will make some kind of Quantum Leap this year.

If they can just be good enough to bring us out of max protect constantly and convert a higher percentage of third and shorts, we may win nine games and go to the playoffs.

Bretsky
05-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I am really starting to get onboard with this offense. I really don't feel that they will have any trouble at all moving the football between the 20s. I suspect they will still have difficulty against a goal-line defensive formation where the box is stacked.

I am not at all worried about the receiving core. There seems to be a consensus of running back by comittee works around the league. Why not receiver by comittee?

- Jenning is a surprisingly good deep threat. He has better body control that DD and made several long catches last year and broke a tackle or two.

While not a single one of these guys is a bonafide super-duper stud who can do it all, by putting the right combination of those guys on the field they can accomplish what they need to and create mismatches to their advantage.

The running game will be improved because the offensive line will be better, and their is also better depth now to handle the inevitable injuries. Once the running game gets going, you know speedy mcvirginiatech is going to be on the field a lot more, even if it is just to keep the defense honest with the playaction. Consequently, having a burner running down the field is going to keep the safeties honest and playing back.

Perhaps it is the bottle of water I just drank talking, but I am not at all concerned about the offense. In fact, I think it could surprise quite a few people around the league and be a top 8 offense.

All that working out ? Are you doing Packer roids or just getting Kool Aide buzzed.

Anyways, I hope all the IFS pan out this year.

oregonpackfan
05-23-2007, 07:47 PM
I remain concerned about the RB's and TE's.

I agree the O-line appears to be improved. It will still take awhile for the offensive unit to jell.

Bretsky
05-23-2007, 07:51 PM

I agree the O-line appears to be improved. It will still take awhile for the offensive unit to jell.

I'm concerned about

RB
TE

WR if there are any injuries

OG position, more specifically Spitz

Partial
05-23-2007, 07:56 PM

All that working out ? Are you doing Packer roids or just getting Kool Aide buzzed.

There are no ifs. All they need to do is gameplan well and maximize each individual talent.

Bretsky
05-23-2007, 08:27 PM

There are no ifs. All they need to do is gameplan well and maximize each individual talent.

If the talent there is greater than the oppositions :?: :?: :?: :?:

Rastak
05-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Ah yes, koolaid abound in the summer......even for my Vikes......
sort of anyway.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6842224

Vikes have promising foundation
Adam Schein / FOXSports.com

Minnesota looked like a playoff team in the first six weeks of the 2006 campaign, only to perform like a bottom feeder the rest of the way en route to a 6-10 finish.
When the Vikings were bad, they were just wretched.
The pass defense was ripped apart in the MNF debacle against the Patriots. And the offense was so inept against the Niners and Packers that the networks placed a V-Chip warning on the Vikings to protect America's youth from being subjected to that type of brutality.

To say the Vikings free agency period was curious and underwhelming would be a major understatement.

Yet, there is some legit optimism in Minnesota.

Mind you, not optimism for a spot in the playoffs in 2007. But the Vikings had a great draft, have a young quarterback who oozes talent and leadership, have the right coaches to maximize him, and are welcoming back some important young talent on defense.

Adrian Peterson is going to be a super star with his blend of power and speed.

Veteran fullback Tony Richardson is thrilled to have Peterson in the mix with Chester Taylor.

Richardson told us, "He was everything we expected him to be. And after watching him dominate college, I believe it. He caught the ball well, moved well, got around the corner well and scampered past the entire defense. It was basically everything we saw on film. It is very exciting to add someone with his breakaway ability. His potential is unlimited. In this division you have to be able to run the football. And for us it is really a key with a young quarterback like Tavaris Jackson. He can rely on Chester and Adrian. I really think Adrian is a pro's pro and is going to be a great player and I am so excited about the opportunity to learn from this young man."

This type of running attack, behind a great offensive line led by Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk and Bryant McKinnie, can be very effective. And it has to be to give Jackson time to develop.

Now for the record, I believe in Tavaris Jackson. I was saying forever that the Vikings were not in the quarterback business in the NFL draft, a fact confirmed by head coach Brad Childress on the phone after the Vikes picked Peterson and never considered Brady Quinn. Jackson has a lot of talent and upside and can be a great quarterback in the NFL. He'll be coached up brilliantly by Childress and Kevin Rogers, two coaches who were very influential in prepping Donovan McNabb at Philadelphia and Syracuse, respectively.

Richardson tells a great story about Jackson's leadership qualities. Last preseason, Jackson gets in with the first team during a game. The veterans are joking around in the huddle. The first year quarterback screams at the team, "This is my huddle -- shut up and pay attention." That went a long way with the guys in the locker room.

Veteran safety Darren Sharper says you see Jackson do things on the practice field that wow you.

Now, it's going to be difficult for Jackson this year, his first as a full-time starter. I think Minnesota erred greatly in not getting a legit veteran back-up (sorry Brooks Bollinger). He needed someone to push him and mentor him.
And to say the Vikes are paper thin at the receiver position wouldn't do justice to the paper industry. One of Mike Tice's parting gifts included Troy Williamson, who has been a bust since being selected 7th overall in 2005. Bobby Wade got paid in the off-season, but he's decent at best. I love Sidney Rice, but he's young. Jackson really doesn't have much to work with. But he's a diligent worker who listens to his coaches. This year will help him grow.

Minnesota's run defense was outstanding last year, led by tackles Kevin and Pat Williams.

But the pass defense was horrendous.

Sharper told us, "We have to be more solid in our coverage and techniques. We are in the process of evaluating what went wrong last year. And what teams were able to get on us was a result of us not being in proper position, whether it is not reading a route correctly or not getting into a proper area. But remember, the numbers are skewed. Teams were throwing it 40-50 times against us because we were so good against the run."

Fair point, but it was that bad. And there was no pass rush to speak of.

Sharper is encouraged that the pass rush will be aided by the return of former first rounder Erasmus James, coming off of knee surgery.

And Sharper says last years first-round pick, Chad Greenway, is running around and looks like there was never anything wrong.

The return of both would be huge for the Vikings defense.

Minnesota will be able to pound the rock and stop the run, two tried and true elements of winning football to build around.

If you believe in Jackson, Peterson, Greenway and Childress like I do, you have to believe the ground work is being laid for improvement.

Bretsky
05-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Good article; just shows how homerism kicks in full steam in offseason.....something quite obvious in here lately as well.

Great pick in Peterson and solid choice with Rice in round two; I would have had no problem with Partial's plea for TT to stone up and go get Adrian.....but TT would never do that.

But why do they have to throw the needle at Brooks Bollinger ? You SOB's draft all the Badgers; that's bad enough as it is. Then the chump has to rip him as well.

Cheers,
B

Rastak
05-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Good article; just shows how homerism kicks in full steam in offseason.....something quite obvious in here lately as well.

Great pick in Peterson and solid choice with Rice in round two; I would have had no problem with Partial's plea for TT to stone up and go get Adrian.....but TT would never do that.

But why do they have to throw the needle at Brooks Bollinger ? You SOB's draft all the Badgers; that's bad enough as it is. Then the chump has to rip him as well.

Cheers,
B

:jack:

sorry!

Yea, Brooks gets no break at all. He's ok, I wouldn't want him as my starting QB but he's ok as a backup. Actually, he may do ok with a solid running game as a starter. I'm actually comfortable with Jackson, Bollinger and a developmental guy 3rd. As long as 1 and 2 don't go down!

Again, sorry for the thread Jack.

Packers:

I'm not sure what to expect. The big X factor is Favre, players deteriorate as the years go by, he isn't immune despite the pope mobile in another thread. Jennings looked fantastic to me, so maybe it was just the injury that caused him to dissapear last year at the end. I like Morency, don't know much about Jackson other than he was a very late bloomer. Can the OL improve? Ah, so many questions so few answers yet.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm actually comfortable with Jackson, Bollinger and a developmental guy 3rd.

My favorite Vikings homer.
:D

Rastak
05-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm actually comfortable with Jackson, Bollinger and a developmental guy 3rd.

My favorite Vikings homer.
:D

My favorite Packer optimist!

oregonpackfan
05-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Bretsky,

I too would have loved to have seen TT trade up to get Adrian Peterson. His talent and style remind me of Eric Dickerson.

I fear AP will be making holes in the Packers' defense for years to come.

cpk1994
05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Bretsky,

I too would have loved to have seen TT trade up to get Adrian Peterson. His talent and style remind me of Eric Dickerson.

I fear AP will be making holes in the Packers' defense for years to come.

AP better hope the WR's find hands otherwise he will be running into walls all day.

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 10:23 AM

I'm concerned about

RB
TE

WR if there are any injuries

OG position, more specifically Spitz

The cautious voice of reason.

We can't look at our team as the next month's DAIRY QUEEN Special.

Making it (raw) new doesn't necessarily make it better.

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM

Partial:

Of course, we all hope your correct. :)

mmmdk
05-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Well, Vikings do have Adrian Peterson and knows he will be good - only injuries can stop Peterson.

The young Packer players on offense are either the next Greg Jennings or Cory Rodgers - at best. We don't know anything as TT pretty much rolls the dice on Packers being better on offense.

As I've said before; my brain says Packers will win 5-6 games in 2007 but I expect/demand 9 wins in 2007. TT has the job and he should know better than me or anyone else on this forum.

:cow:

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Well, Vikings do have Adrian Peterson and knows he will be good - only injuries can stop Peterson.

The young Packer players on offense are either the next Greg Jennings or Cory Rodgers - at best. We don't know anything as TT pretty much rolls the dice on Packers being better on offense.

They spent a top 10 pick. He better be good. Hopefully, we can look at Harrell as a guy that will be a stud, and only injuries can stop him. I think people are going to like Brandon Jackson. I'm concerned that he didn't play full-time until his last year. Then again, some RBs come to the pros with 1000 carries on their legs already, and that would also be a concern--since the shelf life of RBs isn't great.

Merlin
05-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Although I agree that the potential is there for Jennings to be very good, he isn't a deep threat. He is shorter then most of the guys that will be covering him. They would really have to blow coverage for him to be that wide open because even though he is fast, the DB can be a few steps behind and out jump him on the deep ball to either pick it off or knock it down. The rookies we just brought in? Although I like your optimism, you have nothing really to base their success or failure in the NFL on right now. We won't know anything about them until they line up against a first team defense, and that may not be in the pre-season. You can lok to how they played in college but we both know that doesn't mean anything because the college game is so different.

Driver is the best in the NFL at going over the middle and taking medium routes to the house. I see that potential in Jennings as well. What we need is Ruvell Martin size, Jennings speed and Drivers hands in a deep threat. A Moss, Walker, TO, etc. Hell, even Jerry Porter would be a good deep threat v/s what we have on the roster now. Think about having a big WR that is fast and can go deep then two smaller WR's that can catch anything underneath and a TE that can go vertical. That is what we need and right now, we don't have that on our roster.

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I think Jennings is a deep threat--much like Driver is a deep threat. No, that's not his #1 attribute, but people claim he's not a deep threat, but all he does is continue to do well with any route they want him to. People act like Driver and Jennings aren't fast. Jennings ran a good 40. He's faster than he's given credit for, and so is Driver. Sure, I think it would help to find a guy that can stretch the field even more (maybe Moss would have been that guy), but those guys can and will get deep. If you had three guys like Driver and Jennings, I don't think people would be clamoring for a deep threat--because those guys are just good all-around receivers.

Merlin
05-25-2007, 10:06 AM
I think Jennings is a deep threat--much like Driver is a deep threat. No, that's not his #1 attribute, but people claim he's not a deep threat, but all he does is continue to do well with any route they want him to. People act like Driver and Jennings aren't fast. Jennings ran a good 40. He's faster than he's given credit for, and so is Driver. Sure, I think it would help to find a guy that can stretch the field even more (maybe Moss would have been that guy), but those guys can and will get deep. If you had three guys like Driver and Jennings, I don't think people would be clamoring for a deep threat--because those guys are just good all-around receivers.

I can agree with that. Right now all teams have to do is double them both up because we don't have anyone else. I think all WR can be a deep threat but it's the idea of having someone that can stretch the field as their #1 attribute that keeps the safeties deeper and the CB's off the ball farther.