View Full Version : JS Lori Nickel Chat

Bretsky
05-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Packer Chats
Lori Nickel Visit JS Online's Packer Plus section

MONDAY, April 21, chat transcript
Lori Nickel
Journal Sentinel Packers reporter
Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer Lori Nickel answers your questions in the wake of the team's mandatory minicamp over the weekend.

Q: Roger Dier of Oshkosh - Lori, We're not in minicamp. You are. In your opinion, do any of these rookies look like they can play?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi everyone. I am going to get started a little early here because I need to do something now for about 15 minutes in the middle of this chat and then I will be back, OK? Hi Roger. Justin Harrell is nimble, relatively of course for a 310 pound guy. He moved and punched through the drill work as well if not better than some veterans. He has the legs you want from a 23 year old kid. It seems smart to hold him back to make sure that torn biceps injury is a-ok. Based on the drill work alone he did in camp, he looks like a real player. James Jones is making the May minicamp plays Greg Jennings did a year ago, maybe not as many as Greg, but that 6-1 length really helps, he stretched out a few times for a ball. The kicker Mason Crosby was kicking high into the Don Huston rafters Sunday, good leg, he challenged Rayner.
Q: Rick of Tacoma, WA - Ted Thompson macro view of the Packers conflicts with Brett Favre's win now philosophy. Who will win? ANd what changed Ted's mind of how to run a town as opposed to his days in Seattle?

A: Lori Nickel - Without a decent running back, neither will win. They have to get that settled and give the RB plenty of preseason game snaps or Favre will throw 700 pass attempts until his arm falls off and Thompson will never hear the end of it for picking a d-lineman in the first round. Q: Mr. Know-It-All of Lunatic Fringe, WI - If the Packers went out and signed Keyshawn, then traded for either of San Diego's Michael Turner (6 yds. per carry as a backup to LT) or Ladell Betts (proved he could start backing up injured Clinton Portis and played for Philben at Iowa), wouldn't they look a lot more like a 10-6 team than a 6-10 team? It's time for TT to get off his butt before he's thrown out on his butt. Remember the Seahawks didn't step up to the next level until AFTER he left with their superstars still not re-signed and some holes that had to be filled through free agency.

A: Lori Nickel - I'd take Ruvell Martin over Keyshawn, but that's a better question for No. 4 and No. 12. I agree with you on Michael Turner totally, he would be very appealing, but with two years left on his deal and those stats over three years - I am not sure how much San Diego would want to give him up. Most of the better NFL teams have a very successful two-back set now. Q: Jack Johnson of Venice Beach, CA - Hi Lori: Last week Silverstein wrote an article with the following quote: "Favre talked with Moss several times leading up to the draft, but he apparently wasn't as convincing as Brady." LOL. Didn't Cliff Christl have a big enough "mancrush" on Tom Brady? Enough of the comparisons between Favre and Brady. Tom Brady is a great QB but he also plays for the Patriots organization and Bill Belichick, a master mind at scheming opposing team's defensive weakness and creating a precisely matched offensive gameplan. Anyone that continues to compare Favre to Brady (other than their shared intensity on the field) is really displaying football ignorance. The story should be how the Patriots, traded for not only Randy Moss they also traded for WR Wes Welker and signed WR Donte Stallworth, WR Kelley Washington and TE Kyle Brady. How bout an article comparing the Packers front office (Thompson/McCarthy) to the Patriots front office (Pioli/Belichick) or better yet an article comparing the quality of writing on JSOnline to the quality of writing on Patriots.com?

A: Lori Nickel - Hey there Jack, how about hitting the beach right now to relax? You are taking one line of a story and overreacting. Or maybe you just needed to vent, so that's fine with me. Anyway, I don't see what Packers fans are thinking in wanting Moss anyway, other than going along with it because Brett likes him. And if your point is how superior the Patriots are to the Packers, and well most everyone in the NFL the last 5 - 10 years, well that is obvious, isn't it? Q: Mike of Des Moines, IA - Lori, Not much has been said about Koren Robinson since his suspension. Is he currently working out? Does he figure to have a role with the team this year? What have you been hearing? Thanks for the chat!!

A: Lori Nickel - Mike-- As I understand it, he has about 2 weeks left to finish his 'sentence' in Green Bay on electronic monitoring. He began a 90 day sentence March 9 in a corrections facility in Minnesota and has since been allowed back to Green Bay with the bracelet. He's been rehabbing his knee and I think doing voluntary/community service work at Bellin Health Care, a hospital in GB. But he's not been allowed to rehab with the team because of his one-year suspension by the NFL last year. Q: Mike of Des Moines, IA - Lori, Not much has been said about Koren Robinson since his suspension. Is he currently working out? Does he figure to have a role with the team this year? What have you been hearing? Thanks for the chat!!

A: Lori Nickel - see other answer Q: Andy Gansner of Chicago, IL - Lori, if you attended this weekend's mini-camp, were there any players, particularly new acquisitions, that stood out?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Andy, I was there for both practices Saturday and the one Sunday. Another one I thought of was No. 45 Corey White. He was the No. 2 fullback in camp and apparently Brandon Miree has yet to lock up the starting position left vacant with the departure of William Henderson. You know, White is this Alabama-Birmingham player who was invited by the Packers to try out at the Rookie minicamp - he wasn't drafted and he wasn't signed as a free agent in April. Kind of an interesting camp for him. Q: george of san diego - lets say that Thompson believes that there is no free agent talent worthly of spending money on. So why not spend it on some long term contract for the people who are on the team that they do like. It isn't like they can keep the money, any that they don't spend goes back to the league. Also they need to spend 80% of the cap value (per union contract), that means that they need to be at a cap figure of 94 Million. So just to get to that minimum that need to spend about 20 Million. This is what San Diego did a few years ago to lock up some very good and young players. I believe it should be the model the Packers should follow. Your Thoughts.......

A: Lori Nickel - Interesting. I'd say spend most of the money conservatively and take a few really big risks. It's like your stock portfolio, put most of the money in sure long term investments and gamble with some hot prospects for a little while. Thompson's 401K is probably in the cookie jar at home (just kidding, really). Seriously, I don't know the San Diego situation as well as you do, so thanks for the info. But I don't blame Thompson for being frugal. He's paid handsomely for guys like Aaron Kampman, Nick Barnett, real keepers. The rest? I think maybe he sees most players on a 4-12 and 8-8 team as somewhat replaceable until they become 11-5, 12-4 team players. San Diego's winning situation right now is much different than Green Bay's. Q: Ed Hanner of Clearwater Fl - Who looked good and who did not ? Also how long have you been writing about Packers and where did you come from ?

A: Lori Nickel - I've been around awhile but don't worry, I am not replacing Cliff. Bubba looked much more sure handed, except on one drill where 4 qbs throw downfield to 4 WRs, he dropped it because he was looking at the wrong qb. Anyway, he looked more like the Pro Bowl TE catching-wise. Favre and Rodgers looked fine. Ingle, not so much. He's got some work to do. McCarthy said nice things about him Sunday which made me think I was seeing things, the poor kid threw picks all over the place Friday and at other times scrambled to nowhere. He's a bright guy but the smarts have to translate to the football field to lock up that 3rd qb spot again, which it seems like he should. Hmm who else. A.J. Hawk. Looks like a 30 year old player in terms of smarts. Picked off Favre in a relatively easy play Sunday in the end zone but still, he's there. A lot of times on 7 on 7, a TE or split end would take a pass over the middle and would have A.J. or Nick in his face immediately. Q: Jim V of Powell OH - Lori - my question regards the rudeness of fans re: the draft. The booing of TT in Green Bay, the shouting down of the Dolphin head coach over their selection. Is this another example of the coarsening of society? Why do these people think they know better? Why do they think that is acceptable behavior?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Jim. I've covered prep soccer games in suburban Milwaukee where parents screamed at the refs (making $7 and hour) and ripped the kids - the KIDS -- on the other team. That's despicable. Or how about the ridiculous parents who think they are coaching the next Favre or Nash or Tiger Woods -- they need to lighten up. That's the kind of shouting that's rude/harmful/inappropriate. I guess I wasn't appalled that the fans booed Thompson. The days of no booing in GB are over. It used to be rare here, it's not now. And Thompson is not liked by his constituents, which he is now finding out first hand. Q: Marsha of Dallas, TX - I saw on the web that Justin Harrel sat out Saturday due to an injury. What's the story with that? Seeing that he has a history of that stuff, do you have major concerns at this point? I know it's early, but the news there doesn't bode well to me. Good thing they hung onto Berry, huh?

A: Lori Nickel - They're being extra careful with the biceps, as well they should be. With a stable of good d-linemen, there's no need to rush this kid. I know the stuff in Tennessee, but d-linemen get hurt almost as much as running backs. Q: Terry Chaney of Royal Oak, Mi. - did the team work on kicking at this camp at all? I was wondering if anyone got a look at running them back and how the two punters and kickers looked.

A: Lori Nickel - Sunday Mason Crosby outkicked Rayner, I would say, but I would have liked to have had coach Mike Stock's opinion (assistants weren't available that day). When they did work for the return guys, they did it off of jugs machines and not off live punts. Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Lori, In the mini camp over this past weekend who caught your attention?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Kimberly. Oh another one - Patrick Dendy. I've thought he was decent since he got here and he played well in camp too. He's a third year corner. Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Lor, How did Paul Thompson the young qb do in the mini camp? Also how did Vorhand Morencey do in the mini camp?

A: Lori Nickel - Not very good. That's to be expected, the offense is complicated. Paul needs time, it wasn't a fair deal, now that I see it in person -- to expect him to run the huddle on one-weeks notice. It's one thing to say a guy has been trained in the WC offense and an entirely different matter to run this team. Vernand Morency did well but only half his competition was there, so it doesn't mean too much just yet. That'll be fun to watch, the RBs opening weekend of training camp in late July. Q: Jim of Xenia,Oh. - Lori,Packer fans are always optimistic and i am no different in that belief,i need your opinion on some players,are you optimistic that Harrell can add to the run defense and allow the lb's to play more agressive,will Jackson help the run game,is this the final call for Ferguson and do you see Walker and Blackmon adding help to the db's?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Jim. As long as Harrell can go at the start of training camp, and stay healthy, certainly. These defensive linemen rotate in and out under Bob Sanders. The LBs are fine, that's a strong group regardless. I have no clue on Jackson, no perspective there, need to see him against the others. I mean, he's a risk in that he basically started two thirds of a year in college and that's it. Ferguson, well, the coach and the GM who loved him so much - Mike Sherman - is long gone. I am surprised Thompson has had patience for Ferguson's injuries. Walker is another guy who has earned praise from coaches, yes. Q: John of Endicott, NY - When are they going to replace Cliff? The coverage on the Packer Insider has not been up to par since he left.

A: Lori Nickel - There isn't another Cliff out there, so some of you might have to be open minded to the new guy - whoever he is. I hope the paper doesn't wait until the end of training camp or something. We need someone now. The beat is too important, there's too much offseason news and the new reporter deserves a chance to settle in. I haven't heard anything except that there are a couple of candidates. But you're right, that person would have been here at camp and we would have had more stories. Q: Terry Chaney of Royal Oak, Mi. - If memory serves there were two free agent quarterbacks in camp, one from Oklahoma and one from somewhere else in the south. Did either of them get any snaps and show anything or have they already been released?

A: Lori Nickel - Jerry Babb is from Louisiana Lafayette and Paul Thompson is from Oklahoma. They both got snaps, though not many and they both looked raw compared to Favre and Rodgers. They're both signed and will likely be here still when training camp starts. Q: Hank of Monroe WI - How do you contact PI with a gripe ? News is way out of date and as a paying customer I'd like to register my complaint .

A: Lori Nickel - Garry Howard ghoward@jsonline.com Mike Davis mdavis@journalsentinel.com Richard Pufall rpufall@journalsentinel.com Q: Digger of Andover - Hi Lori, Keyshawn: yes or no?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Digger. My opinion? Nah. The Packers opinion? You never know. Will it happen? Maybe a 25 percent chance. Q: John of Milwaukee - I wondered what your impressions were of third round draft choice, James Jones.

A: Lori Nickel - Other than what I stated already, this is what McCarthy had to say about him Sunday: "He's a young man that's very physical. I think he has a tremendous upside. And the thing that we really liked that we saw on film with James was his short area separation, he's able to separate, and he always catches the ball extended away from his body. That's what you're always trying to teach young guys, and he does it extremely natural. So I think the young man has a bright future." Q: terry of tosa - with what they have to put on the field do you see anything better than a 8-8 season?

A: Lori Nickel - Potentially, yes, with some experience to some guys. The defense looks like it could be solid again. Joe Philbin has a really great reputation as a teacher so he should be a good offensive coordinator. The o-line is better. But all of that is for nothing if they don't groom one, if not two, running backs. Q: SCOTT SIELEMAN of OELWEIN IOWA - HI ,LORI! HOW IS THIS NEW NFL POLICY ON THE INTERNET AND 45 SECONDS OF VIDEO GOING TO EFFECT THE AVERAGE PACKER FAN NOT LIVING WISCONSIN AND LOVES THE INTERNET 'S COVERAGE OF THE PACKERS! THE 12 TIME NFL, WORLD CHAMPIONS? THX

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Scott, why are you shouting? That's a really excellent question. For those of you who wonder what this about, Don Walker has a story on our website under Packers coverage. The new rule explains to me why the Packers had so many of their own public relations staffers walking around with microphones in the locker room this weekend, listening in and recording the reporters interviews of the players. Of course the Packers can post the full interviews and keep them up for as long as they want on their site. The teams have always wanted to find a way to control their own news, because it benefits them both image-wise and also financially (you'll now go to packers.com instead of jsonline.com for Favre or McCarthy's press conferences, for example. That takes away from our 'hits' or subscribers.) I understand the NFL's need to control their business and protect the almighty dollar, you know, the way they sent Brandon Jackson to LA this weekend rather than let the kid go to work at camp. Q: David B of Tulsa OK - Are the Packers at a point, talent wise, where we won't see a significant dropoff if Brett Favre were to retire?

A: Lori Nickel - Ha! No. Q: John of Milwaukee - Lori: Can you ask Ted Thompson if the Packers plan to bring in Darius Walker from Notre Dame, who went undrafted, and couldn't work out a FA agreement with the Bears.

A: Lori Nickel - Sure John, I love playing matchmaker. Q: Jim Rosenberger of Montclair, NJ - Hi, Lori. I have enjoyed reading your articles in the past. Maybe you can help fill part of the void left by the departure of the chatmaster, Cliff Christl. If Justin Harrell has a decent year, Ryan Pickett stays healthy, and Corey Williams continues to progress, do you think TT will pay Corey Williams to stay? It seems unlikely given the cap space already devoted to the defensive line.

A: Lori Nickel - You are spot on with that last line, that's a major question for Corey Williams. It seems if he has another good year someone will pay for him. Q: gene of chicago - Thanks for taking my question. I know Jackson and Wynn were not at the minicamp, and it may be way too early to answer this, but what are the chances of the running game being even as good as the '06 running game? I thought Ted needed to be more proactive about bringing in at least one more RB....

A: Lori Nickel - The running game will indeed determine the 2007 training camp news and will determine the success of the 2007 season. The Packers are banking on Brandon Jackson to fit in right away because he came from a West Coast, zone blocking system at Nebraska and he has a reputation as a worker. Q: Wally of Wrightstown - hey Lori.... Given the WR draft picks in the 3rd and 5th, it seems to me that Carlyle Holiday, Robert Ferguson, Ruvel Martin, Chris Francies and whatever other free agent wideouts are essentially fighting for 1-job. Does that sound about right? Where does that leave Koren Robinson assuming he gets re-instated in October?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Wally, very good question. So we have Driver Jennings Jones there for sure. The rest fight for a fourth spot, maybe a fifth. No problem. Say for example Ruvell Martin or Robert Ferguson wins it, they see what either can do in September. The Packers would have to give Robinson some time to come back and themselves some time to evaluate him anyway. Remember, they haven't been allowed to let him work out at their facility. It would be really hard for Robsison to play again after a whole year off, but, by that point of the season it always seems like a major receiver gets hurt anyway and there's a need. Q: Todd of Michigan - Nice job on Cold Pizza.

A: Lori Nickel - Ha, thanks for lying. I was NERVOUS. And I barricaded my three year old so he wouldn't tell me he had to go potty or something while I was talking. Q: John Casper of Milwaukee - Per other John from Milwaukee's question, this link has Houston signing ND's Darius Walker. Great job on the chat, thanks.

A: Lori Nickel - Hey there John how are ya! Good I hope. Q: Kevin of Chicago - Lori...It appears to me that depth and playmakers are what is needed in todays NFL. Is it possible, in your opinion, in todays NFL for the packers to achieve the kind of depth that it took 5 years for the brewers to get?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Kevin. Yes that would be the philosophy of any pro sport but it seems to be crucial in the NFL unless Bill Belichick is the coach. I don't know if you can have that much depth at every position on an NFL team, it seems like you have to hope that one or two, like linebackers and fullback, or safety, will be OK and then bulk up at RB and D-line. Q: Andy Hartman of Eagle River - Were you able to tell if any of the new players performed maybe better than expected and were there any new players maybe not looking as good as expected?

A: Lori Nickel - I hope I covered that ok for now. Q: Daveyboy of Minneapolis - Lori, Though I think it's comical how many "conclusions" fans seem to want to draw from mini-camps when there's no actual blocking/tackling or contact....let me be one of the dummies. Did you see anyone who looks like they're ready to surprise or push for a starting job? Also, what's the injury to Harrel?

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Davey. Harrell had a ruptured biceps tendon in week 2 last year in college and was lost for the season. Will Blackmon might make a move, though I don't know how since he's a corner. And how about Kevin Barry -- he was primed to start until the team changed coaches, offensive line philosophies and before he got hurt. I wonder if he's a fit here anymore, he seems very eager to prove himself. Q: Jim of Baraboo - Hi Lori, What teams besides the Packers would like to have Brett for the remainder of his career?

A: Lori Nickel - Blasphemy, you're not hooking me on that one my friend! Q: Mike of Mound, Mn - Lori, how much of a drop off do you think there is between Ahman Green at present (considering his age and injury history)and and inexperienced but fresh Morency? He seemed to fill in fine while Green was out, and might even be an upgrade if he doesn't cough up the ball like Green ALWAYS did early in the season.

A: Lori Nickel - Hi Mike, I will answer you last. The whole philosophy of giving up on a player a year too early rather than a year too late makes sense to me in explaining the Green departure. He really did have an amazing comeback season last year given the previous injuries. But the RB position has to be all about youth and speed. Ok, thanks to all the great questions and for allowing me to try to answer them.
© 2006, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. All rights reserved. Produced by Journ

BallHawk
05-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Q: Mr. Know-It-All of Lunatic Fringe, WI - If the Packers went out and signed Keyshawn, then traded for either of San Diego's Michael Turner (6 yds. per carry as a backup to LT) or Ladell Betts (proved he could start backing up injured Clinton Portis and played for Philben at Iowa), wouldn't they look a lot more like a 10-6 team than a 6-10 team? It's time for TT to get off his butt before he's thrown out on his butt. Remember the Seahawks didn't step up to the next level until AFTER he left with their superstars still not re-signed and some holes that had to be filled through free agency.

Nice alias, Packnut.

:wink:

Bretsky
05-24-2007, 07:27 AM
she looks hot in her picture

Packnut
05-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Q: Mr. Know-It-All of Lunatic Fringe, WI - If the Packers went out and signed Keyshawn, then traded for either of San Diego's Michael Turner (6 yds. per carry as a backup to LT) or Ladell Betts (proved he could start backing up injured Clinton Portis and played for Philben at Iowa), wouldn't they look a lot more like a 10-6 team than a 6-10 team? It's time for TT to get off his butt before he's thrown out on his butt. Remember the Seahawks didn't step up to the next level until AFTER he left with their superstars still not re-signed and some holes that had to be filled through free agency.

Nice alias, Packnut.

I've already stated here that Johnson is washed up. I'm not a big Turner fan cause running behind the Charger line would make anyone look good. I also like Jackson so no sense in making any RB moves at this late date.

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 08:49 AM

Nice alias, Packnut.

I've already stated here that Johnson is washed up. I'm not a big Turner fan cause running behind the Charger line would make anyone look good. I also like Jackson so no sense in making any RB moves at this late date.

TT has to seriously look at the team's chances for running 3rd down and short yardage.

Do we have the RB now to get that done?

OS PA
05-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Nice alias, Packnut.

TT has to seriously look at the team's chances for running 3rd down and short yardage.

Do we have the RB now to get that done?

Deshawn Wynn, Brandon Miree, Corey White, Korey Hall