Gifted Athelte

Can't play a lick of football.

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Too bad he's a Viking.

All the better!

Actually, I doubt he'll make the team.

He'll be the starter once Winfield is traded. j/k

Seems like every team has their drama, doesn't it?

KYPack
05-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Hawkins and Joey Thomas were two of the worst corners I've ever seen. Mike didn't play much in college and I could understand his lack of skills. When he was here, he was years away from being an NFL corner.

About all he has going for him is that it's a year later.

His athletic talent is immense, he just has no clue how to play his position.

If he can stay in the league for 4-5 years, he might finally figure out what's going on.

Fred's Slacks
05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
I agreee about Joey Thomas, but I thought Hawkins showed some decent skills. Maybe I didn't see the plays where he looked lost, but I remember some plays where he was in good position. It was just preseason games, so the competition wasn't great. I may be wrong but I thought his problem was that he just couldn't stay healthy.

Rastak
05-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Too bad he's a Viking.

All the better!

Actually, I doubt he'll make the team.

He'll be the starter once Winfield is traded. j/k

Seems like every team has their drama, doesn't it?

Some fewer than others, but yea, it happens.... :wink:

gureski
05-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I hated seeing Hawkins go. I wished they had held him on the practice squad. He only had one year of college and I'm not sure it was a full year. He's raw. He's not clueless, he's just not refined. It takes time to learn a position to the extent that you can play in the pro's. I wish him the best.

KYPack
05-24-2007, 09:45 PM
I hated seeing Hawkins go. I wished they had held him on the practice squad. He only had one year of college and I'm not sure it was a full year. He's raw. He's not clueless, he's just not refined. It takes time to learn a position to the extent that you can play in the pro's. I wish him the best.

Well G-man, I'd disagree with ya on one point. I watched Hawkins in a game once. His stance was all wrong. He had his hands dangling, not at the ready like you are supposed to. He lined up in press cover, dropped to 3, then 5, then a 7yard technique. He got "lucky", the receiver didn't run a dig, which he couldn't have covered anyhow. The guy ran an up. When he blew by Hawkins, Mikey fell down!

I'd say the guy was clueless. Given, a good coach stating over at zero, from stance and basic cover techniques could help the guy. But is/was the guy clueless? Hell Yeah!

He really didn't have a clue as how to cover a receiver while he was here.

Joemailman
05-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Because Hawkins was on the Packers roster his entire rookie year, I believe that made him ineligible for the practice squad.

Scott Campbell
05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Hawkins and Joey Thomas were two of the worst corners I've ever seen.

Amazing to think that we blew a 3rd on Joey Thomas, and Moss only fetched a 4th.

Bretsky
05-24-2007, 10:46 PM

Amazing to think that we blew a 3rd on Joey Thomas, and Moss only fetched a 4th.

Ted Thompson blew a fourth round pick on Cory Rodgers last year and cut him....and this year Moss was had for the fourth.

sorry, just needed to add that

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Ted Thompson blew a fourth round pick on Cory Rodgers last year and cut him....and this year Moss was had for the fourth.

sorry, just needed to add that

Did Sherman trade up for Joey T.? The only difference is that Thompson usually has 10 other picks, so he can take a chance on a return man or kicker--while Sherman usually only had 5 other picks to make up for his wasted picks. Sometimes, he used two picks on his wasted picks. Sometimes, he even used two picks to draft a shitty punter.

Joemailman
05-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
3 70 Joey Thomas CB Montana State
3 72 Donnell Washington DT Clemson
3 87 B.J. Sander P Ohio State
6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State
7 251 Scott Wells C Tennessee

I believe he traded up for Donnell Washington and B.J. Sander, but not Thomas. Note the last 2 picks of this draft were the best ones. Sherman actually made some very good mid-late round picks. Too bad he traded so many picks away.

Patler
05-25-2007, 05:26 AM

I believe he traded up for Donnell Washington and B.J. Sander, but not Thomas. Note the last 2 picks of this draft were the best ones. Sherman actually made some very good mid-late round picks. Too bad he traded so many picks away.

In 2004 Sherman traded his 2nd round pick (#55) for Jacksonvilles's 3rd (#70) and 4th (#102). So he actually traded down for Thomas. He then took the #102 and traded it and #153 to Miami to move up to #87 for BJ Sander. So in the end, through two trades, one down and one up, he used #55 and #153 for Thomas and Sander.

He also traded #86 and #118 to Jacksonville for #72 (Donnell Washington)

He also traded #188 and #226 to SF for #179 (Corey Williams)

KYPack
05-25-2007, 07:47 AM

I always called this one the "upside down draft".

The only problem is that Sanders is still a 3rd if you turn it upside down.

I thought they should have relieved Shermie of his command right after this draft. Told him , "Mike, it isn't working" or something.

rpiotr01
05-25-2007, 11:46 AM
The thing about Hawkins was, as far as I know, the guy just wasn't physical enough. Teams are likely to have patience with a guy when it comes to developing technique, especially a guy with Hawkins' athleticism, but he just wouldn't come up, make contact, and put a hit on anyone. Just seemed to shy away from physical contact. And when it comes to football contact is EVERYTHING. You can't teach a guy the willingness to be physical, and I think that's Hawkins' big failing, despite his athletic talent.

MJZiggy
05-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Nice first post rpiotr01. Welcome to the forum.

rpiotr01
05-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Thank MJZiggy. I've been reading this site for a long time, and finally had my account activated. Glad to be aboard.

Rastak
05-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Thank MJZiggy. I've been reading this site for a long time, and finally had my account activated. Glad to be aboard.

Then you already know what a bunch of looneys reside here....myself included.....

MadtownPacker
05-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Welcome to PR rpiotr01!