woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 09:02 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=610061

Bid to land Keyshawn not enough
Retiring receiver got a feeler from team

wist43
05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Reggie's persuasive sales pitch:

"Please Keyshawn, will you come and play for us for next to nothing... pretty please!!!!"

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 09:17 AM

"Please Keyshawn, will you come and play for us for next to nothing... pretty please!!!!"

Johnson's agent, Jerome Stanley, said in a report that the Titans offered a deal worth nearly $8 million for two years

The above tells us just how much the Packers we're in the bidding.

NOT !!!!

MJZiggy
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Who cares? He retired.

oregonpackfan
05-24-2007, 09:39 AM

Reggie's altered sales pitch:

"Please Keyshawn, we will let you run your pass routes with a personalized, green and gold walker!" :)

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Who cares? He retired.

The point of fact here is that even if the Packers want a quality player they arn't really in the game.

It's obvious aound the NFL now that we are a struggling team with little to lend to an upside on offense. Until we prove otherwise really talented players willl not be on our radar.

After Favre and DD there is little on our offense to attract the attention of the really talented to Green Bay. Both will soon be history as Packers.

We don't even have a competent back-up QB on our roster, moreso a solid franchise QB after Favre. If anyone here really believes that Aaron Rodgers is the answer? I will say your mistaken.

There is nothing that will attract good players more to a good team then that teams ability to win and at least appear to be progressing towards improvement.

Ted Thompson has blown that out of the water with his PLAN.The greatest weakness in his PLAN is for him to proceed with the impression that Aaron Rodgers will be a success in the NFL as Favre's replacement.

Either he has to change very soon,admitting his ways arn't about winning and that will change; or he has to be removed as our GM.

Do we as Packer fans have to suffer through two - three more years with this man as our GM? With every excuse made for his neglect and extremely conservative approach towords enabling us more in the win column?

NO. . . WE SHOULDN'T.

The Leaper
05-24-2007, 10:10 AM
It is far too early to write off Rodgers as a failure. You can probably assume he isn't going to be an elite QB...or the Packers would've showed Favre the door by now. However, there are numerous examples of QBs that took 3-6 years to develop into reliable starters. Whether or not Rodgers will be in that group won't be known until he is given a chance to prove himself on the field over a period of time.

Hasselbeck didn't exactly set the world afire his first couple years in Seattle...he's still a pretty decent QB. McNabb struggled early on. Green and Garcia weren't viewed as reliable starters early in their careers. I just don't find any logic in writing off Rodgers before he's had a chance to prove himself.

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 10:56 AM
It is far too early to write off Rodgers as a failure. You can probably assume he isn't going to be an elite QB...or the Packers would've showed Favre the door by now. However, there are numerous examples of QBs that took 3-6 years to develop into reliable starters. Whether or not Rodgers will be in that group won't be known until he is given a chance to prove himself on the field over a period of time.

Hasselbeck didn't exactly set the world afire his first couple years in Seattle...he's still a pretty decent QB. McNabb struggled early on. Green and Garcia weren't viewed as reliable starters early in their careers. I just don't find any logic in writing off Rodgers before he's had a chance to prove himself.

Aaron Rodgers has shown us nothing. . .zero. . .zilch !!!

The real scam on this fella is that he fell into TT's lap and the fact that Favre was possibly going to retire soon had Dick ALL to do with TT selecting him.

Since when does a GM select the heir apparant to a HOF QB without taking the time to properly assess him?

Did TT really believe that was a GEM of a QB falling to him with so many other teams passing? The joke will be on Packer fans.

Soon that joke has to end. We always can't use the excuse that he hasn't really had time yet to prove one way or the other what he can do.

Look at his mechanics and how he handles himself in the pocket. How well does he avoid the rush?

wist43
05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm sure Rodgers isn't in a hurry to get on the field... he knows the jig will be up then.

If he's lucky, he can hang around in the league as a back up for a few years.

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm sure Rodgers isn't in a hurry to get on the field... he knows the jig will be up then.

If he's lucky, he can hang around in the league as a back up for a few years.

That's why he's always smiling and never a sad note fr. him or complaint.

If he really believed he had it. Then he would be alot more hungry to get the ball.

If Aaron Rodgers really had it then TT would have been successful in pushing Favre out.

He's done just that to all but Favre and Driver, for the fundamentle reason that by maintaining Favre he gains time to possibly not be more exposed.

He can use Favre because he DAM well knows that Favre must protect his legacy as the GREAT Packer HOFer. TT must realize that when push comes to shove that Favre will suck it all up.

The question then really becomes.

How much more will Favre suck up? To avoid that we have to do as TT says he wants.

WIN NOW !!

run pMc
05-24-2007, 11:29 AM
I think the fact that he said GB was very interested says something about TT supposedly "not being active in FA". The story doesn't say GB ever made an offer, and I doubt they would without bringing him in first. We know Keyshawn walked away from a choice of playing with Favre, V.Young, or Brady, not to mention at least $8 million, so that tells me his heart was not in the game anymore. GB doesn't need players like that taking up roster spots.

As far as Rodgers, I haven't seen him do much yet, but I haven't seen him have many opportunities, either. IMHO, the jury is still out on him, but to expect the second coming of Favre is unrealistic. I'd be OK if he was competent/mistake-free, and buy TT enough time to find a better QB.

PackerBlues
05-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Look at his mechanics and how he handles himself in the pocket. How well does he avoid the rush?

Lets look at that a little closer, because I think its Favre's ability to throw the ball while running for his life, that makes our current offensive line look better than it is. Part of what makes Favre as great as he is, is his ability to make so many accurate passes while on the move, and while he is off-balance. Rogers does not have that, not at all.
I would have to argue though that Thompson is working on turning the Packers into a team built around a dominant defense. As a good friend of mine is fond of saying, "Even a blind squirrell will find an acorn every once in a while." Thompson figures if Rogers plays the part of "Trent Dilfer", he is bound to score a few points here and there, while the Defense controls the game. Again though, that is in the future, Ted is going to need at least one or two more off seasons to ignore offense and grab more defensive talent.

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 11:39 AM
I think the fact that he said GB was very interested says something about TT supposedly "not being active in FA". The story doesn't say GB ever made an offer, and I doubt they would without bringing him in first. We know Keyshawn walked away from a choice of playing with Favre, V.Young, or Brady, not to mention at least $8 million, so that tells me his heart was not in the game anymore. GB doesn't need players like that taking up roster spots.

As far as Rodgers, I haven't seen him do much yet, but I haven't seen him have many opportunities, either. IMHO, the jury is still out on him, but to expect the second coming of Favre is unrealistic. I'd be OK if he was competent/mistake-free, and buy TT enough time to find a better QB.

Yes. It appears that given that offer fr. the Titans that KJ decided it was time to change direction.

I agree (mostly) with your take on Aaron Rodgers. Where we may differ is that I've seen little that gives me hope in Aaron Rodgers. He appears lost when he enters the game. He seems to lack that IT quality.

The Leaper
05-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Lets look at that a little closer, because I think its Favre's ability to throw the ball while running for his life, that makes our current offensive line look better than it is.

Actually, he doesn't even bother running for his life often anymore. Favre merely gets rid of the ball very quickly...which is due to his experience. I certainly agree that the OL looked better quite often last year simply due to Favre.

The main reason his completion percentage fell so drastically last year was due to the fact that Favre threw numerous passes to the first receiver he looked at due to the OL allowing too much pressure...even if they were well covered. I think if someone took time to go back and research the film, I'll bet Favre's completion percentage when he had time to progress through each pattern on a play was probably much closer to his career average.

The Leaper
05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I agree (mostly) with your take on Aaron Rodgers. Where we may differ is that I've seen little that gives me hope in Aaron Rodgers. He appears lost when he enters the game. He seems to lack that IT quality.

Favre often seemed lost in his first 2 years as a Packer. He got by merely on his ridiculous talent most of the time...which Rodgers clearly doesn't have, along with 99% of other QBs.

GBRulz
05-24-2007, 01:10 PM

Favre often seemed lost in his first 2 years as a Packer. He got by merely on his ridiculous talent most of the time...which Rodgers clearly doesn't have, along with 99% of other QBs.

Favre also had Sharpe to throw to. I truly think that having a top WR like that helped his progression as a QB. It gave him alot of confidence, which is key. That was one of the biggest reasons why I wanted Moss to come here, for Rodgers. I think a top WR can do wonders for bringing a young QB along.

Creepy
05-24-2007, 01:44 PM
back to keshawn, he turned down 8m to play for the Titans and didn't really like the offer by GB (whatever it was) and play with Favre. More than likely he wanted 8M and play with Favre, but Gb said we will have incentives rather than guarantee you the money. With Johnson it isthe money, he already has a ring so it just money. ESPN must be showing a better cash value than the NFL.

Guiness
05-24-2007, 02:24 PM
The whole deal about whether Rodgers has 'it' or not has been hashed out a million times on this board alone.

While I don't agree with the direction TT has taken in building this team, I have to think he and MM see something in Rodgers. At minimum the ability to be a competant starter.

They wouldn't keep him around, and cut their own necks, just to be obstinate. And MM has no reason to hold on to him at all. There'll be camp bodies, etc around this fall. If Rodgers is as bad as some think he is, he'll be gone by the end of TC this fall.

PackerBlues
05-24-2007, 02:31 PM
At best, Keyshawn would have been a large target in the red zone. If one of our young guys cannot fill that need this year, I certainly wont be crying about how we should have picked up Keyshawn. On the other hand, Moss in my opinion still had some wheels, and would have complimented not just Driver, but Jennings as well.
Again, its a moot point, however if Moss returns to his Pro Bowl form with NE, Thompson is going to be looking pretty damned stupid.

Charles Woodson
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
The whole deal about whether Rodgers has 'it' or not has been hashed out a million times on this board alone.

While I don't agree with the direction TT has taken in building this team, I have to think he and MM see something in Rodgers. At minimum the ability to be a competant starter.

They wouldn't keep him around, and cut their own necks, just to be obstinate. And MM has no reason to hold on to him at all. There'll be camp bodies, etc around this fall. If Rodgers is as bad as some think he is, he'll be gone by the end of TC this fall.

No, because he was a TT first round pick. GM's are to stubburn to admit when they have effed up. Now i, like you guiness, dont agree with the way that TT is takin the team, but we disagree on Rodgers. The little times hes gotten to play , has he dont anything? Yes i know its shit time but still i havent seen a glimpse of anything from this kid. And personally i think TT's throat would be cut faster if they released him now and admited he was a bust(not saying that he is) but its smarter for TT to keep him for a while because first fans arent real happy with TT to start of with and secound he would take even more shit.

PackerBlues
05-24-2007, 02:45 PM
To be honest with you, I cannot see why they got rid of Craig Nall. He looked a hell of a lot better than Rogers did. In my opinion anyway. Shit for all that it matters up to this point, lol.......they could have kept Pederson and used that first round pick on a player or position that we actually needed.

swede
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
"To be honest with you, I cannot see why they got rid of Craig Nall. He looked a hell of a lot better than Rogers did."

Someone get Gureski on the Nall Phone!

http://www.stateofthenationband.co.uk/images/Batphone.jpg

the_idle_threat
05-24-2007, 03:26 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh shit ... here we go again with Nall! Too bad we let him go to the Bills, who made him the highest-paid 3rd string QB in the league!

The Leaper
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Craig Nall?

Sheesh. Buffalo NEEDS a QB and Nall can't even get a sniff of the first team on the practice field. Yet another of Sherman's failed draft choices.

PackerBlues
05-24-2007, 03:32 PM
We could have used Robert Ferguson as our backup QB for all that it matters. Questioning weather or not Rogers has talent has been moot. He was just our first "wasted first round pick" under Thompson, certainly not the last though.

BallHawk
05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Punctuation is good.........

:wink:

BallHawk
05-24-2007, 04:57 PM
No, because he was a TT first round pick. GM's are to stubburn to admit when they have effed up. Now i, like you guiness, dont agree with the way that TT is takin the team, but we disagree on Rodgers. The little times hes gotten to play , has he dont anything? Yes i know its shit time but still i havent seen a glimpse of anything from this kid. And personally i think TT's throat would be cut faster if they released him now and admited he was a bust(not saying that he is) but its smarter for TT to keep him for a while because first fans arent real happy with TT to start of with and secound he would take even more shit.

Charles Woodson
05-24-2007, 08:34 PM

BH, when do you finish school? We finished today

Scott Campbell
05-24-2007, 10:29 PM
We always can't use the excuse that he hasn't really had time yet to prove one way or the other what he can do.

Why not?

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Favre also had Sharpe to throw to. I truly think that having a top WR like that helped his progression as a QB. It gave him alot of confidence, which is key. That was one of the biggest reasons why I wanted Moss to come here, for Rodgers. I think a top WR can do wonders for bringing a young QB along.

Valid points, but rumor has it that Moss only wanted to sign a one-year contract (which is what he signed with NE), so he could prove his worth and get one last decent payday. Very little chance, IMHO, that Moss would have resigned here if Favre wasn't here.

Tony Oday
05-25-2007, 01:09 AM
I for one love the way this team is going. I love defense and really we have the core to a solid young d that could dominate in the future. Think AR isnt good enough to be on a playoff team? Dont even make me list the slaps that the Bears and Ravens have had pilot their teams. Is AR a good QB? WHO THE HELL KNOWS!!! Good god he is still a rookie because he doesnt get playing time. I dont think he will wow us but come on atleast give the little guy a chance.

Also the big difference between Favre and AR coming into the starting role is that the Pack were terrible for a LONG TIME before Favre got the starting gig. We would have been happy with 7-9 with Favre in the early years. Yes he is a super talented QB that got EVERY chance to excel and play. In todays NFL do you think Favre would have had the time to excel?

NFL winning teams are built from within and add a couple pieces to bring it all together. We will see this year after going 10-6 that we are going in the right direction. Jennings becomes a stud and we get a third guy to contribute we could be a very solid team.

On the OL statement you tell me one Oline that exceled in their first year together? Name it please. A great line plays together for a long time. They are starting to get it and are building chemestry.

There are a lot of ifs on this team but what do you expect from a 8-8 team? Perfection? Signing a couple guys to compete in two years for backup roles? spend 50 million on offensive guards that are not even close to as good as their paychecks? Oft injured tight ends? Moody and old WR? I would have liked Moss here but in reality he went to the team that he could almost for sure win on.

BallHawk
05-25-2007, 07:00 AM

BH, when do you finish school? We finished today

You must of broken up earlier then us then. We break up Next Thursday, the 31st.

Fritz
05-25-2007, 08:38 AM
There's a couple things here that irk me. First is the JSO headline: "Bid to Land Keyshawn not Enough." True enough, but it's misleading. It suggests that, gosh darn it, once again cheap ol' TT didn't offer enough despite the huge sal cap space he has...yet the truth is that NOBODY'S bid was good enough. Tennessee offered a large contract - but it didn't work, either. Keyshawn wanted to be a talking head. The dude retired. TT didn't lose Johnson to another team.

The second thing that irks me is that people respond to this manipulation and bitch about TT "losing" Johnson. Come on. Complain if you want about TT not bidding enough for Moss - I don't believe Moss wanted to come here, period, and I've listed links that suggest that had NE not been "the" team getting Moss, he wanted no part in re-negotiating the contract - but at least it is debatable and questionable whether TT did enough. Maybe he could've traded for him. But how can anyone debate that TT "lost" Johnson? The guy retired. Does that mean that when Brett Favre retires and, say, the Redskins fail to sign him that they've failed somehow? I think not.

Merlin
05-25-2007, 09:16 AM
To be honest with you, I cannot see why they got rid of Craig Nall. He looked a hell of a lot better than Rogers did. In my opinion anyway. Shit for all that it matters up to this point, lol.......they could have kept Pederson and used that first round pick on a player or position that we actually needed.

Pederson retired. His injury told him it was time so there was no keeping him. Nall knew the offense and stepped up when called upon. I think they let him go because they weren't willing to match the offer he got from Buffalo. It was a financial move by 3T, not a move to keep a viable backup for Favre that could play and proved he could play. I agree that 3T will not let Rodgers go until he is the starting QB for the Packers. He was his first draft choice so he isn't going anywhere no matter how ineffective he is.

Keyshawn? No way would we sign the guy even if he didn't retire. Andrew Brandt is great but what he thinks and what 3T thinks are two different things.

MJZiggy
05-25-2007, 10:42 AM
There's a couple things here that irk me. First is the JSO headline: "Bid to Land Keyshawn not Enough." True enough, but it's misleading. It suggests that, gosh darn it, once again cheap ol' TT didn't offer enough despite the huge sal cap space he has...yet the truth is that NOBODY'S bid was good enough. Tennessee offered a large contract - but it didn't work, either. Keyshawn wanted to be a talking head. The dude retired. TT didn't lose Johnson to another team.

The second thing that irks me is that people respond to this manipulation and bitch about TT "losing" Johnson. Come on. Complain if you want about TT not bidding enough for Moss - I don't believe Moss wanted to come here, period, and I've listed links that suggest that had NE not been "the" team getting Moss, he wanted no part in re-negotiating the contract - but at least it is debatable and questionable whether TT did enough. Maybe he could've traded for him. But how can anyone debate that TT "lost" Johnson? The guy retired. Does that mean that when Brett Favre retires and, say, the Redskins fail to sign him that they've failed somehow? I think not.

Nice post...

woodbuck27
05-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Nice post...

Ahhhh. . . how the TT people pull taffy.

That's 8-)

MJZiggy
05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
It's not about "TT people." Fritz is talking about shoddy reporting and we all know what a BIG fan I am of crappy journalism...

woodbuck27
05-25-2007, 01:05 PM
It's not about "TT people." Fritz is talking about shoddy reporting and we all know what a BIG fan I am of crappy journalism...

OK mj. . . and that reporting does take a swipe at Ted Thompson.

Good. :)

Fritz
05-26-2007, 09:51 AM
This is my point exactly, Woodbuck. What purports to be straightforward "reporting" is actually a swipe at TT.

MJZiggy
05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Exactly.

Bretsky
05-26-2007, 12:08 PM
This is my point exactly, Woodbuck. What purports to be straightforward "reporting" is actually a swipe at TT.

I'd fall into paragraph 2 of your good post

I could care less about KJ

The Moss deal on the other hand

Oh well old news.

Bottom line is do we improve next year..........I guess

Scott Campbell
01-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Who cares? He retired.

The point of fact here is that even if the Packers want a quality player they arn't really in the game.

It's obvious aound the NFL now that we are a struggling team with little to lend to an upside on offense. Until we prove otherwise really talented players willl not be on our radar.

After Favre and DD there is little on our offense to attract the attention of the really talented to Green Bay. Both will soon be history as Packers.

We don't even have a competent back-up QB on our roster, moreso a solid franchise QB after Favre. If anyone here really believes that Aaron Rodgers is the answer? I will say your mistaken.

There is nothing that will attract good players more to a good team then that teams ability to win and at least appear to be progressing towards improvement.

Ted Thompson has blown that out of the water with his PLAN.The greatest weakness in his PLAN is for him to proceed with the impression that Aaron Rodgers will be a success in the NFL as Favre's replacement.

Either he has to change very soon,admitting his ways arn't about winning and that will change; or he has to be removed as our GM.

Do we as Packer fans have to suffer through two - three more years with this man as our GM? With every excuse made for his neglect and extremely conservative approach towords enabling us more in the win column?

NO. . . WE SHOULDN'T.

lol

Kiwon
01-05-2008, 07:34 AM

NO. . . WE SHOULDN'T.

No, we shouldn't!! Get the pitchforks ready. Let's fry this guy (and his male lover too).

TT, you're going down! No more 13-win seasons. It's embarassing.

(Sorry, Woodbuck. It's unfair to razz you, but it's :) )

b bulldog
01-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Whats with all the old topics being reborn?

SkinBasket
01-05-2008, 08:48 AM
What the hell else are people going to do this week?

I think it's interesting to see pre vs post season thoughts. And I use the term "thoughts" loosely when talking about Woodbuck.

cpk1994
01-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Whats with all the old topics being reborn?It's called roasting Woody.

BallHawk
01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Please, stop, these are getting painful to read. :lol:

I'm cringing and laughing at the same time.

Carolina_Packer
01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Woody will never give TT much credit for anything. If the team succeeds, it's the players, the coaches and luck, not TT. Forget that he's signing the players who helped the team go 13-3. You don't do that by luck. If he wanted Rodgers to take over for Favre, he would have pushed harder for him not to come back. It's a wild assumption to say that this wsa TT's plan.

As for Rodgers, he's still a question mark. Can't we at least wait until he's on the field for several games before making any definitive statements about his play? I doubt he would be there if he was a bust, even if he was TT's first pick. We haven't needed him yet, except in the Dallas game this year, and I'm OK with him staying where he is until Brett hangs it up. If TT felt he had to draft the heir apparent when he did, then fine, that's his decision. With so much speculation about Favre's retirement, it certainly was worth doing something to get a guy like Rodgers. We'll just have to wait longer to see how he does, and again, I'm fine with that.

Scott Campbell
01-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Please, stop, these are getting painful to read. :lol:

I'm cringing and laughing at the same time.

So many threads......so little time........... :lol:

BallHawk
01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks to you, Scott, I can't tell which threads are current and which ones aren't. :lol:

Scott Campbell
01-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks to you, Scott, I can't tell which threads are current and which ones aren't. :lol:

I think the ones that aren't might be more entertaining. :lol:

woodbuck27
01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey Scott.

You have to be one of the most idiotic simpletons that walks this earth or is it just an obsessive - compulsive disorder that accounts for your tortured soul.

Don't you realize that your making a proper idiot of yourself again Scott.

Ohhhh I forgot that's just YOU Scott. Pathetic. :)

Scott Campbell
01-07-2008, 04:39 PM
You have to be one of the most idiotic simpletons that walks this earth or is it just an obsessive - compulsive disorder that accounts for your tortured soul.

Eh - probably some of both. :lol:

And don't shoot the messenger - I just bumped the threads. You provided the entertainment.

SkinBasket
01-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey Scott.

Don't you realize that your making a proper idiot of yourself again Scott.

Ohhhh I forgot that's just YOU Scott. Pathetic. :)

Quiet down moose. We're trying to enjoy the show.

woodbuck27
01-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Eh - probably some of both. :lol:

And don't shoot the messenger - I just bumped the threads. You provided the entertainment.

Scott:

if I could make it possible I'd kick you in the as to make you see some sense but that's not acceptable so do you really want to get involved in a war of words on OUR Forum.

Your no match for me Scott and YOU DAM well know it. Your sucked in yes.

Now it's your time to get out. STOP ACTING THE FOOL SCOTT.

Scott Campbell
01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
if I could make it possible I'd kick you in the ass.............

:lol:

Scott Campbell
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
........so do you really want to get involved in a war of words on OUR Forum.

Yes, yes I do. I would like a war of words. Sorry for not being clearer.

I keep provoking, and provoking and you just won't retaliate. What's a guy got to do? You're like a cross between Ghandi and George the "Ice Man" Gervin. I just can't seem to get a rise out of you.

It may be OUR Forum, but you're my Woody.

Iron Mike
01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
It may be OUR Forum, but you're my Woody.

You had me at "hello."

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/020429/125322__jerry_l.jpg