PDA

View Full Version : What the Packer players are really saying

woodbuck27
05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070521/PKR07/705210478/1989

Posted May 21, 2007

Mike Vandermause column: What the Packers are really saying

By Mike Vandermause

Depending on who was talking, the Green Bay Packers' weekend minicamp was either very worthwhile or very boring.
The practices were significant enough to be labeled mandatory, yet no starting jobs were won or lost. Attendance was required, but not a single tackle was made inside the Don Hutson Center.

"These sessions are very important," Packers coach Mike McCarthy proclaimed on Sunday. "If they weren't, we wouldn't have them."

But then McCarthy went on to say, "It really counts when we put the pads on."

What are we supposed to believe? Part of the challenge is deciphering the real meaning behind the chatter emanating from Packers headquarters. Let's analyze some memorable quotes from the weekend:

Brett Favre, on minicamps: "They're kind of boring, to be honest with you."

Favre receives major props for offering the most brutally frank comment of the year.

In an age of political correctness, it's refreshing to hear a player give it to us straight. Favre said out loud what many players feel inside but don't have the guts, or job security, to recite.

McCarthy, on minicamps: "This is what you look forward to … Frankly, this is what it's all about."

What a contrast between the coach and the quarterback.

While Favre dreads them, McCarthy lives for minicamps. It's his pride and joy. He gets to attach live players to the X's and O's in his playbook. One man's trash is another's treasure. McCarthy salivates over May practices while Favre struggles to stay awake.

Bubba Franks, on Randy Moss: "I mean, he's a Patriot now. Why are we still talking about this? It's not a big deal anymore. We're going to go with the guys we've got here. There it is."

Can you blame Franks or anyone else in the Packers' locker room for growing weary of Moss questions? Of course, it was Favre who stirred the pot last weekend by lashing out at the team for not trading for Moss, so maybe Franks should take it up with his quarterback. If Franks or anyone else believes the Moss issue will go away, they could be in for a big disappointment. The topic is sure to come up again this fall if Moss returns to his Pro Bowl form and the Packers' offense sputters.

Al Harris, on General Manager Ted Thompson's offseason moves:

"Ted, he's got his job for a reason. Whatever theory he has, I'm cool with. I'm just here to play corner. As long as I'm a part of that plan, I'm cool with it."

After receiving a contract extension during the offseason, Harris has no reason to complain about the front office. You don't see Harris fretting about Thompson's failure to address needs on offense. Adding defensive tackle Justin Harrell in the first round of the draft was fine with Harris, who will benefit from a beefed-up line in front of him.

Incumbent kicker Dave Rayner, on rookie kicker Mason Crosby:

"Sixth-round picks get cut quite often."

Rayner wishes no ill well on anyone. He's not that kind of guy. But he has no plans to lie down and let Crosby, a sixth-round draft pick, take his job. You have to love man-to-man combat, and Rayner fired the first shot. Presumably, this will be a friendly battle, but the stakes are high.

Let the competition continue at the organized team activities.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

GO PACKERS GO !!

oregonpackfan
05-24-2007, 09:42 AM
We fans need more Harry Trumanesque Tell-it-like-it-is comments from the athletes.