PDA

View Full Version : PACK PRESEASON: REVIEWS & PREDICTIONS

TopHat
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
PACKER NATION PREVIEWS NEW SEASON: REVIEWS & PREDICTIONS ALONG WITH POLL.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=136313&ntpid=1

Oates: Like it or not, these are your Packers by Tom Oates

Sorry Brett Favre, and sorry to all of you Green Bay Packers fans who agreed with your quarterback when he complained about the team's conservative offseason game plan, but it looks like you're out of luck. When wind-bag wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson decided the Packers and three other interested NFL teams weren't willing to pay him enough to return for a 12th season, he stepped into the ESPN seat formerly occupied by wind-bag wide receiver Michael Irvin and effectively ended any chance the Packers had of adding a potential offensive playmaker this season. At this point, all avenues appear closed. The free agent market, which wasn't much to begin with, has been picked clean. Due to an NFL rule change, veterans who formerly would have been cut after June 1 for salary-cap reasons probably have been cut already. And major trades seldom happen after draft day. With the Packers, what you see now is what you will get in the fall.
As for what you will get, here are some observations from last weekend's minicamp: Three years of saturation drafting by general manager Ted Thompson has greatly strengthened the middle and bottom portions of the roster. The team remains weak in the playmaker department, but it is solid and deep in most other areas. The youth and speed should help the special teams, which were under-publicized as the team's weakest link last year. Rather than importing veteran help, the Packers will rely heavily on the improvement of the players from last year's strong draft. Linebackers A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge, wide receiver Greg Jennings, cornerback Will Blackmon and offensive linemen Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll need to become big-time contributors this season. Jennings and Blackmon looked very quick in minicamp practices.
Jennings and Donald Driver will start at wide receiver, but after that it's anyone's guess. James Jones, who many draft experts thought was a reach in the third round, didn't look like a reach in the minicamp. He has great hands, good size and is fairly quick in and out of his cuts - a must in the West Coast offense. Tight end and fullback remain positions of need. Since they're paying tight end Bubba Franks all that money, the Packers seem intent on helping him recover from a dismal season. The first step is to motivate him, which they did by starting Donald Lee in front of him all weekend. The Packers have only Brandon Miree at fullback, so they should be in the market for another one. Fortunately, it's one position a team can fill late.
With massive rookie Justin Harrell shoring up the line, the weakest link on defense will be strong safety, where free agent Marquand Manuel had a rough first year. Manuel will have to hold off Marviel Underwood, who was impressive before blowing out a knee last August, and rookie Aaron Rouse, who looks like a taller Darren Sharper. No indication yet on whether he has Sharper's big- play ability. The Packers will join the growing number of teams that have two primary halfbacks because neither Vernand Morency nor rookie Brandon Jackson looks big enough to be Ahman Green's every-down replacement.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=646605&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 646605.html

Sydney Speaks! A long way to go. The Green Bay Packers entered this off-season with holes to fill in their roster, but have they adequately filled them? PackerReport.com's Harry Sydney provides his assessment of the situation.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

http://mvn.com/nfl-packers/

2007 Pivotal season for many PackersBy Andy Erdman

Coming off an 8-8 season, the Packers are at a crucial crossroads. Will they come together and attack their tough schedule like the team that won the final four games in ’06? Or will 2007 be another rebuilding year, further exacerbating the Brett Favre “I want to win now” situation? The answer to that scenario rests in large part on the performance of certain players, some of whom will continue to be solid, others who’ll have breakout years, and still others who are in a do-or-die, sh*t or get off the pot position.
Packers who are locks to have solid seasons
1 Brett Favre, QB – Has an improving offensive line but untested backs. Look for Favre to lower his interception total with McCarthy’s coaching on his way to rebounding as a real threat. Favre said of the offense in his press conference this past weekend: “I believe in these guys.” I’ll take his word for it.
2. Donald Driver, WR – Started all 16 games the past two seasons for a total of 178 catches, 2,516 yards, 13 TDs and a Pro Bowl selection. Driver’s consistent and generally injury free.
3. Nick Barnett, LB – Started all but one game in four years as a Packer, leading the team in tackles his first three seasons. Ted Thompson signed Barnett this April to a contract extension securing him through 2012.
4. Mark Tauscher, OL – Auburndale native and UW walk-on has been a reliable starter for all seven years in the NFL with the Packers.
5. Chad Clifton, OL – Like Tauscher, Clifton has been, for the most part, a solid starter all seven seasons with the Green and Gold.
6. Aaron Kampman, DE – Starter the past three seasons. He finished second in the NFL last season with 15.5 sacks and earned a Pro Bowl selection. Thompson has Kampman locked down through 2009.
7. Al Harris/Charles Woodson, DB – Possibly one of the best cornerback tandems in the league. If the front four can apply more pressure this season, look for one of these two guys to earn a Pro Bowl selection.
Packers who will have break-out seasons
1. A.J. Hawk, LB – led the Packers in tackles his rookie season. Look for Hawk to earn his first Pro Bowl selection while making the Packers’ linebacking crew one of the best in the NFL.
2. Greg Jennings, WR – caught 21 passes for 378 yards and 3 TDs in the first six games of his rookie season in ‘06 but due to injuries had an average remainder of the year. Providing he stays injury free, Jennings will make a name for himself throughout the NFL in 2007.
3. Nick Collins, S – Great speed and will make a statement this season in his third year in the NFL. Collins had 3 interceptions last season, one returned for a TD. Look for Collins to be in better position at all times while nabbing between 5-8 balls.
4. Corey Williams, DT – started 11 games in 2006 recording 7 sacks. Williams is entering his fourth season with the Packers and will work extra hard to keep rookie Justin Harrell out of the starting lineup.
5. Vernand Morency, RB – With an improving offensive line and a starting spot that’s his to lose, look for Morency to have a 1,000 yard season if he can avoid fumbling. Morency did pretty well last year considering he was thrown into games with only a very basic understanding of McCarthy’s offense. Morency recently said of his new opportunity: “I’ll be fine. I’m a beast, so I’m looking forward to it.”
6. Daryn Colledge/Jason Spitz, G – both Colledge and Spitz as rookies started the majority of 2006 at the guard position, which gained them invaluable experience going into their second season. If these guys can stay injury-free, the Packers offensive line will continue to improve throughout the 2007 season.
Players who are in Do-or-Die situations
1. Bubba Franks, TE – former Pro-Bowler had his worst season statistically in 2006, dropping passes, missing blocks and fumbling. He’s vowed to come into this season with a better mentality. If not, due to his large salary, he may find himself out of Green Bay.
2. Robert Ferguson, WR – talented but seriously plagued with injuries since entering the NFL. Ferguson, since his most recent injury, has reportedly been plotting a comeback, devoting a great deal of time to studying film and working out. He’s rumored to have put on 15 pounds of muscle.
3. Marquand Manuel, S – had poor first season with the Packers blowing many deep coverages. If he wants to remain a starter, and even a Packer, he must perform much better in 2007.
4. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, DE – lost the starting job in ’06 because opponents ran all over his side of the defensive line. Plus he earns a large salary, so if he doesn’t produce in 2007, Biamilia will be a goner.
5. Dave Rayner, K – made a so-so 15 of 23 field goals and 31 of 32 extra points last season. The Packers draft pick Mason Crosby from Colorado will challenge Rayner for his job should he not improve going into 2007.
6. Koren Robinson, WR – With new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell putting the smackdown on NFL “thugs,” one more slip-up with the law and Robinson will not be a Packer or likely even an NFLer in the near future.
What Green Bay players would you add, eliminate or shuffle around from any of these three categories?
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

http://packers.scout.com/2/646407.html The Green Bay Packers used the recent NFL draft to build depth at various positions, but PackerReport.com’s Matt Tevsh explains why the Packers would have been better off by adding a few experienced impact players.

Up to their eyeballs in youth By Matt Tevsh

The Green Bay Packers used the recent NFL draft to build depth at various positions, but PackerReport.com’s Matt Tevsh explains why the Packers would have been better off by adding a few experienced impact players. oming out of last weekend’s minicamp, the Green Bay Packers can at least say they have established some pretty good depth at most positions on their team. Quarterback, running back, wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker, and kicker all have a number of quality players.
With that being said, some decent players will be released before the regular season kicks off, making general manager Ted Thompson’s off-season look worse than some have already critiqued. Quite simply, it will boil down to a numbers game and not everyone, including draft picks, can stay.
Think about it, where are the Packers going to fit all these guys? There are only so many spots historically available at certain positions. Competition for practice squad positions will even be tight. Sure, every training camp, an inflated roster of players adds extra bodies to the sideline, but with increased expectations for many of them, there are sure to be more disappointments than surprises this preseason. Thompson’s plan for the Packers has worked fairly well since taking over a little over two years ago. He has built a young nucleus of talent with a few solid veterans giving him a team on the verge of becoming a playoff contender. His draft philosophy of choosing the best player available is a good one, but even a good general manager has to adapt his philosophy when the right time calls for it. That right time was this off-season, yet the Packers added young depth they did not need. Now they have an abnormal number of players fairly equal in value at multiple positions. That will make for nothing other than maybe interesting training camp practices.
More than anything, the Packers needed a couple of impact players, particularly on offense, to complement the young roster of talent previously amassed. Thompson was wise to pass on free agency because this year’s pool was weak, but not making a blockbuster trade and not using the draft properly as a bargaining tool cost the Packers a chance to really take a big step this year. Again, Thompson added draft picks during draft weekend. Some of those selected will be hard-pressed to make the type of impact the Packers need this year or into successive years.
Justin Harrell? He could be an anchor on the defensive line, but with hard workers on the interior like Corey Williams, Colin Cole, and Cullen Jenkins, the Packers should get better and stay fresher in stopping the run with what they already have.
Brandon Jackson? He could be a nice complementary player, but has never been a No. 1 running back. They have a guy already like that in Vernand Morency, whose impact might just be diminished by becoming a starter.
James Jones and David Clowney? Both are intriguing wide receiver picks, but neither may see the field over the next few years with Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, a sleeper in Carlyle Holiday, and the possibility of contributions from Robert Ferguson and Koren Robinson.
And Mason Crosby? He was a great pickup in the sixth round, but his inclusion means that at least one good kicker with a strong leg will end up with another team come September. Incumbent Dave Rayner is no slouch himself.
Thompson’s draft was really not that bad, but rather lacked a sense of appropriateness to where the Packers are as a team. They are no longer in a transition mode and they do not need to create much competition at certain positions. How about trading multiple picks to move up in the draft? Or making a sweet offer for a player on another team? For this year and this team, it was worth a shot.
In addition to veterans like Ferguson and fullback Brandon Miree, promising first- and second-year players like wide receiver/punt returner Shaun Bodiford, wide receiver Ruvell Martin, and safety Tyrone Culver may not have a roster spot. While none of those names stand out to the average football fan, consider four of the five were starters at some point over the last two years for the Packers and they at least have played important roles.
Thompson might just have a differing opinion than the majority when he evaluates the talent already on his roster, which, of course, he built almost in its entirety by himself. He at least sends that message considering positions where the Packers really needed improvement – cornerback and tight end – have been mere afterthoughts this off-season. The Packers certainly have depth, but depth does not always translate to getting it done on game days. Only so many players can play and even fewer can make a difference in the outcome of the game. How much depth is too much? It looks like the Packers are about at that point.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=645848&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 645848.html

Sydney Speaks! An empty feeling

For all the good that Packers head coach Mike McCarthy was saying about his players during the team's weekend minicamp, PackerReport.com's Harry Sydney disagrees. Sydney attended the minicamp and offers his professional opinion on what he saw from the Packers' running backs and wide receivers.

http://www.packerchatters.com/draft/pattys_report/view.php?id=2163

My Early Assessment Of The Packers

Free Agency: The Packers chose basically to short roll in free agency and would not pay for the right to add a veteran here and there for an upgrade to their roster. Instead they chose to continue upgrading or attempting to upgrade through the draft. They did sign a Frank Walker Cb whom I feel might be the #4 CB for this team. He is limited in some aspects of the corner slot but he is an athlete and plays well in spots. Okay the first thing I read is Brett has to be mad and hot and should have quit last week. It seems that all the media yokels are down trodding the Packers for their failure to get Brett some weapons. Weapons? Since when has that been the object? I mean literally does Brett need super weapons to run this offense> Last time i checked the Packers are considered a dangerous team. Need a reception well Brett will throw it to Driver. Greg Jennings until late in the season was at the end of some brilliant throwing by Favre.
Brett is an NFL QB and a good one at that. He knows how to make plays. He also chose to come back knowing full well what the pitfalls with a young team brings. Besides the cupboard is not barren. He does have Donald Driver and he does have Greg Jennings. The last time I looked they are pretty decent receivers. Robert Ferguson is a talented guy if he remains on the field and is able to overcome another series of injuries. This does not mean the Packers are settled with their receivers. Nope indeed they need better TE play and much improvement from the #3 WR (the guy who will be right where he is suppose to be and will move those chains).
When the 2006 season ended I wrote a piece about just what the Packers needed in my opinion to take another step forward. And that step forward included making the playoffs and hoping we are not so banged up it does not destroy our chances like it did for Mike Sherman twice.
QB: the Packers are finally at the point where Brett will seriously consider not coming back for 2008. I have felt for 2 years he was going to play again the following year. But now I am at the point that he believes it is time. The only thing that will bring him back is another season of relative good health and general improvement from the team and the playoffs. Accomplish that and Brett will play in 2008. The Packers thought for sure they had lucked into their next QB when Aaron Rodgers came to them in round 1. Unfortunately his 2nd season as marred with an injury and that came after a mediocre training camp where the rookie OL were trying not to step on each other let alone pass blocking and run blocking. The fact that we had the cagey and very smart QB back there was not lost on me. He made the OL numbers better with his play. Any other QB and the numbers would have scared the daylights out of a Head Coach. Has Aaron Rodgers really had the opportunity to show his abilities? No way in all the possible avenues of football. But is he the answer? Well most of the hounds are hollering for his head because he did not do it immediately. I say give the kid the chance to prove his skills and he has plenty enough to lead a team and maybe lead the team to the playoffs. We also have Ingle Martin a QB that I just do not have much faith in but the coaches like him. But is it the same liking that the coaches had for Craig Nall?
RB: The team lost its prime time RB in Ahman Green and its spiritual leader in Henderson. This can be devastating. We had the opportunity to add some interesting RB's in free agency but I truly believe that Ted Thompson felt none of them were any better for the Packers than Ahman Green and it I believe hurt him when Ahman signed with the Texans. Okay we wanted a RB in the draft and we drafted 2 of them. Some critics claim we took the 6th and 25th best RB's in the draft and claim we are blown out of the water. I believe what the Packers have done is add two RB's in Vernand Morency and Brandon Jackson who mirror each other. Both the same size and both from a zone blocking scheme offense. Both have the cut back ability to make the offense operate. Jackson is a little more quicker and faster an Morency a little more power. We might have a RB by committee but I think between them we get 1700+ yards from our RB's.
Receivers: already mentioned but I need to say do not count out Holiday and Ruvell Martin. David Clowney carried a solid round 3 grade by many draft experts and scouts. So do not discount him under some of Brett's deep throws in a limited edition in 2007.
Tight End: I am disappointed that the packers failed to add a quality TE. They got Clark Harris but he is not enough unless he suddenly adds some power to his frame and can learn to blow apart blockers and be a nice lead blocker down field. He can catch the ball in a limited range but is not a down field threat. Bubba Franks I got to hope for a return. Bubba is a high character guy and you know it has to be eating him for the season he turned in last year. I look for him to make the adjustments to make amends. At least I hope he is able to.
THE OL: this is still the weak link to this offense. Despite the glowing comments from many media people I did not see an especially good performance from this group. Darryn Colledge began to show why he was a 2nd round selection but overall this group was helped by a master craft QB Favre. Without him this group would ave gotten many QB's killed. They did get the #2 guy injured. Jason Spitz they tell me is going to be a decent to good OG. I am hoping his 2nd season he actually shows it. Scott Wells turned in a few good games and stretches of some other games he held his own but the Packers sure do miss Flanny's precision. Do I think the Packers can dominate with Scott as the C? Not sure but he does fit this scheme well. So we will have to wait and see if he was affected by the play of the two young OG's beside him. Tony Moll will not be the starter when the Packers make it back to the playoffs unless he improves and takes more than a step forward. Clifton began to respond when Darryn began to get things in focus and improved. Clifton is so dependent on the LG that it is noticeable. He feeds off his partner. That is why Mike Wahle was so valuable in my thinking. Also injuries are beginning to get to Chad. I think with the improved play of LG Colledge Chad Clifton can have a pretty food 2007. But the Packers definitely need to be concerned about 2008 and beyond. Mark Tauscher finally had the season many thought he was going to from the start. Mark has outplayed everyone's expectations and finally he had a mediocre year. Mark is a decent RT that many have tried to give his job to someone else and move him to RG. I think Mark probably missed Marco Rivera more than expected. Surprising how the OT's rely on their inside pals. The OL continues to make improvements then this offense will makes plays. Especially with Brett still here. I know Brett has wild days and will get reckless at times but the guy is still a top end QB.
Next our defense: I am probably the only one who said after the draft that we did not address enough of defense. I wanted the first 2 picks to be defense but hey I got the 1. Overall this defense is still missing that heartbeat. They are not there just yet. Last year they did play well in stretches. But they did that in 2001 and 2002 and 2003 . The trouble was they would also make stupid blunders. We have an internal problem and I believe it stems from an assistant coach but that is McCarthy's problem and not mine. This team clearly lacks a mental leader on the field. The guy that weed through all the mixed signals coming from the Def coordinator and the position coaches and make the right calls on the field. We were suppose to be getting that in Manuel but clearly last year we were again at times running around playing gobbly gook defense. We need a take charge type guy on the DL that can solidify the upfront charges and we need the fiery leader with astute smarts either at LB or at DB. We do not have that.
DL: I have wanted a complete run stuffing DE with delayed pass rush skills since we let Vonnie Holiday go. I thought there were a couple in this draft but quickly gave up hope as the draft got closer. So I turned my attention to the big time powerful run stuffing DT. It pretty much for me and I believe for Ted Thompson came down to the cover corner or the run stuffing DT. Well Revis going off the board made it a lock that Justin Harrell was going to be the selection. Harrell is a high character DT with a lot of skills. And he carries with him the rep of being a guy who listens to coaches well and works hard to make it right. The last guy we had in ere had all the talent in the world but he would not listen at all (Cletidus Hunt). We got a pretty good player in Ryan Pickett and with Corey Williams we should be set on the DL. This team could be a lot worse off than Picket Harrell and Williams. I look forward to seeing Johnny Jolly.
DE: I like Aaron Kampmann who has taken average skills and made himself into a good football player. KGB has better speed and quickness and uses his hands pretty well but the guy just does not have the power that Aaron displays on each play. But the huge key here might just be the play of Harrell and Williams inside. Improvement there just makes Pickett better and this has to trickle down for the DE as well. Cullen Jenkins is a good football player. Hunter has potential.
LB's: I like out unit. Hawk is going to be a great player in the NFL if he stays healthy. Barnett is a goof NFL player right now. Brady Poppinga is better than I thought but he is not the premier LB this team needs. But does a team need 3 premier LB's? Abdul Hodge was showing everyone that he could be special when he got injured. Now he is in danger of being passed over (interesting) - We added a tackling machine in Desmond Bishop and do not discount the 2 rookie FA's in Rory Johnson and Juwan Simpson. This will be a fight.
S: we have what I call the mistake in Manuel and the kid in Collins. Collins began to see the light at the end of the season. I just hope he did not turn that light out after the season ended. Collins is a good player if he stays focused. Manuel is slow and stiff and not that good. But e carries the rep of being exceptionally smart and a team can always use a smart player on the field. The Packers added what some draft guys called a Manuel clone. I do not see that at all. Manuel has stiff hips and Rouse has fluid hips. Rouse is much faster than Manuel in his reactions and just outright speed. If Rouse can control his emotions and get the mental parts down he will move Manuel out of the starting spot. That is the key for Rouse. He has to learn to trust the reads he makes and just play instinctive. Do that and we will have an upgrade at SS.
CB: We got more production from Woodson than I ever thought we would. I was wrong. I thought for sure we wasted money and time with his signing. Woodson played pretty decent football and still has game. Al Harris I believe showed a few glimpses of his age last year but he quickly covered them as fast as they showed though. This may be the last year of top level pay from All. We really needed to add a young guy. We did add Frank Walker but I believe nickle is his calling and not a cover corner on the island we need. My oh my how i wished we would have added Hall or Revis. Despite what all the pundits said about Hall I believe the kid will be a solid and effective corner in the NFL for the next 5 or 6 years.
Overall there is only a few reasons why I would not say the Packers can win 10 games next season. They ave the ingredients to be a decent football team that can get hot and win 3 or 4 in a row and be a factor in the division. But we got some young guys that have to show improvement and not take a step back which sometimes happens. We will rely on some rookies as well. We have to have Morency and Jackson play to their abilities. And I believe we need to have Robert Ferguson bridge TE gap of time it will take to get K Rob back and in form. K Rob as the talent. Fergy does as well but he cannot play many games without injuries. Driver - Jennings and Robinson and the minor contribution of deep guy Clowney and the consistency of Ruvell martin and I think the Packers passing game will be just fine. The second big key is the communications on the field by the defense. And I think it would make a huge difference if we had a different assistant coach but that is not going to happen. So be it. Our DL could carry this team far by taking that next step.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070521/PKR01/705210477/1989

The Packers by position: Critical corner job up for grabs

The one serious need the Green Bay Packers didn't address in last month's NFL draft was at cornerback, where they're looking to upgrade their nickel and dime positions. Considering NFL defenses are in nickel or dime defenses for about half the snaps of most games, the No. 3 cornerback is a critical, near-starter's role. The Packers ranked No. 17 in the league in pass defense last season and need a young cornerback or two who not only will provide quality for the nickel and dime roles, but also possibly take over for Al Harris and Charles Woodson in the starting lineup a couple years down the road.
Last year, Patrick Dendy ended up with the nickel job by default after Ahmad Carroll bombed. This year, the Packers' best chance for an upgrade is second-year pro Will Blackmon, who missed all but four games last season because of foot and rib injuries. He worked as the nickel back with the No. 1 defense at minicamp. Dendy worked behind him, and the Packers also signed former New York Giants backup Frank Walker as a free agent this offseason to vie for the No. 3 job. Second-year pro Jarrett Bush also has an outside shot. The important job is wide open and a possible liability if players don't emerge. "The young guys, there's excellent competition there," coach Mike McCarthy said at the conclusion of minicamp Sunday. "You just go all the way down the line. I'm very happy with the progress (Jarrett) Bush has made, Blackmon. I think Patrick Dendy has had an excellent weekend."
Below is a position-by-position look at the Packers' roster after the mandatory minicamp. Though they could add a couple of players before training camp, the Packers have made the bulk of their offseason personnel moves, and the coaching and scouting staffs got their first look at the team as a whole in this minicamp.
Defensive backs Blackmon, who played both receiver and cornerback at Boston College, is the most physically gifted of the backup cornerbacks, but wasn't healthy enough last year to show whether he has the mental makeup for the position. He and Dendy worked with the No. 1 defense with Woodson and Harris not practicing Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. The Packers think Dendy has benefited from their offseason program as much as anyone in the secondary. Walker, a fifth-year pro, showed ability to break on the ball and knocked down a couple of passes Sunday, but is just getting familiar with the defense.
At safety, Marquand Manuel is moving a little better than last year — a badly pulled groin sidelined him all last offseason. However, the team has to hope one of its young prospects is good enough to beat him out for the starting job opposite Nick Collins. A darkhorse could be second-year pro Atari Bigby, who showed good speed and range in coverage during minicamp. He's also a hard hitter who spent nine games on the practice squad last year, then was a core special-teams player until a thumb injury sidelined him. The Packers drafted Aaron Rouse in the third round this year as immediate competition for Manuel. Rouse didn't jump out at minicamp, but is a big presence (6-foot-4, 223 pounds) and did nothing to suggest he won't be in the running. Third-year pro Marviel Underwood, another strong candidate, is coming back from knee-reconstruction surgery and won't practice until minicamp.
Linebackers A.J. Hawk is a likely standout on defense in his second season — he made one of the best defensive plays in minicamp on a deep drop and interception of a Brett Favre pass in a red-zone drill. He and middle linebacker Nick Barnett are the heart of the defense. Starting strong-side linebacker Brady Poppinga has a little better lateral movement almost 1½ years removed from knee-reconstruction surgery. Abdul Hodge, a third-round pick last year, didn't practice because he's recovering from a knee injury. He faces an uphill battle to play well enough at middle linebacker to force a linebacker shuffle and bounce Poppinga from the starting lineup. Undrafted rookie Rory Johnson has speed and a shot at making the final roster, as does first-year pro Spencer Havner, who spent last season on the practice squad and made noticeable gains in the offseason workout program.
Defensive line First-round pick Justin Harrell didn't participate in minicamp because he's recovering from a torn biceps that required surgery last year. The Packers say they are just being cautious with his return. Regardless, he's a decent bet to beat out Corey Williams for a starting defensive tackle job. Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett appeared overweight — he said he was in the 340-pound range, but he expects to play at around 320 this season after playing at about 325 in 2006. With the return of four starters (Pickett, Cullen Jenkins, Aaron Kampman and Williams), plus ends Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Michael Montgomery and tackles Colin Cole and Johnny Jolly, it will be difficult for any newcomers aside from Harrell to win a roster spot. Undrafted rookie Larry Birdine (6-4, 265) of Oklahoma is one of those long shots, but showed some outside pass-rush ability in one-on-one drills.
Receivers The search is on for a quality No. 3 receiver behind starters Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. Third-round pick James Jones worked in that role in this minicamp, and though he dropped two balls in 11-on-11 drills Saturday, showed the ability to extend his hands and snatch all catches rather than letting the ball come to him. He is more polished than fifth-round pick David Clowney. The question for Jones is whether he's quick enough off the line and out of breaks to get open consistently. Robert Ferguson didn't practice because he isn't recovered from last season's mid-foot injury and could face a tough battle to make the roster in his seventh season. But the Packers aren't counting him out for the No. 3 job because he's worked hard this offseason — his weight is up to 220 pounds — and is playing for his career. Some in the organization like Ruvell Martin as the No. 3 receiver because of his size (6-4), hands and strength. He made one particularly difficult over-the-shoulder catch on a deep ball along the sidelines in minicamp, but lacks explosion and quickness. If Shaun Bodiford wins a roster spot as the punt returner, and with Driver and Jennings as starters, there could be only three roster spots available for Jones, Clowney, Ferguson, Martin and Carlyle Holiday. Holiday, a converted college quarterback, is in the running because of his size (6-2, 217) and strength going over the middle.
Tight ends The Packers sent Bubba Franks a strong message by working Donald Lee and sometimes Tory Humphrey with the No. 1 offense. No tight end distinguished himself, though — Zac Alcorn missed all but one practice because of a bruised knee and seventh-round pick Clark Harris had a couple of bad drops. Lee made at least one catch downfield in a blitz period. It looks like he and perhaps Humphrey will get long looks as possible starters ahead of Franks, who had a bad year in '06 and doesn't run well.
Offensive line Second-year pros Daryn Colledge (left guard) and Tony Moll (right tackle) said they made substantial strength gains this offseason. Moll most likely will work as a backup at both tackles in training camp. Jason Spitz, the starting right guard and a second-year pro, injured his calf Friday and didn't practice thereafter. Fourth-round pick Allen Barbre should get time to develop as a left guard and tackle — he'll work mainly at guard this offseason — but fits the mold of a mobile linemen for the zone-blocking scheme. "I like his quickness, I like his athleticism," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. "He seems like a very good prospect." Right tackle Kevin Barry, who didn't practice while recovering from quadriceps-tendon surgery from last offseason, could have a tough time making the roster if players such as Junius Coston and tackle Josh Bourke make major gains. Though Coston is a third-year pro, he's only 23 and is younger than all three linemen drafted last year.
Running backs The Packers haven't seen second-round pick Brandon Jackson in a full-team setting, because as an invitee to an NFL and players association event, he was prohibited from participating in minicamp. Starter Vernand Morency added about 10 pounds of lean muscle mass from last season, to 220 pounds, though he might have trouble holding most of that weight through training camp. Undrafted rookie Corey White might have a shot at making the team as a backup halfback-fullback. At 239 pounds, he's big and appeared to catch the ball with ease on a couple of downfield throws. He took snaps at halfback on Sunday. Third-year pro Brandon Miree caught the ball well at fullback and is the likely starter.
Quarterback Backup Aaron Rodgers didn't take part in team drills, but looked sharp for the most part in 7-on-7 drills, where he demonstrated a quick delivery and consistently put zip on the ball. With Brett Favre also held out of team drills, Ingle Martin took most of the snaps with the No. 1 offense. He had a bad practice Friday, but was better, though inconsistent, with reads and accuracy the rest of the weekend. He made two sharp throws on hot reads to Lee and Driver during blitz drills Sunday. Undrafted rookie Jerry Babb was better than at rookie camp but appeared to be swimming. Paul Thompson, an undrafted rookie from Oklahoma, showed athleticism but has an elongated throwing delivery.
Special teams The Packers didn't do any placekicking or punting in minicamp, so the showdown at kicker between returnee Dave Rayner and sixth-round draft pick Mason Crosby probably won't heat up until training camp.

http://packerfansunited.blogspot.com/

Minicamp Wrap-Up

Now that the first mandatory minicamp has come and gone, a few bits of this and that. RB Vernand Morency seems to be penciled in right now as the replacement for Ahman Green. But that's not something anyone should take to the bank quite yet. Coaches, according to reports, seem high on him. They like his quick feet and elusiveness. Last season, without benefit of any camp or experience with the new zone blocking scheme offense -- which, of course, none of the lineman really had either -- Morency performed respectably. But he is a different body type than Green. And despite the fact that he refers to himself as a "beast," it remains to be seen whether he can take the pounding that Green took as the featured running back. If not, it may be running back by committee. While it could well be argued that the receiver position is the most competitive in camp (that would be the position of this writer), it can't be denied that running back gives it a run for the money. There are six backs currently in camp, competing for probably three positions. Unfortunately, rookie running back Brandon Jackson missed the entire minicamp. He and other top rookies were ordered by the NFL to attend promotional events in Los Angeles. Great timing. Seventh-round pick DeShawn Wynn was limited in his practice time due to an injury. So the running back situation will likely take a good chunk of camp to figure out.
As for the aforementioned receiver situation, third-round pick James Jones apparently caught everything in sight and was very impressive. Some of the veteran defensive backs mentioned that he went up for everything and likewise usually came down with everything. If he continues to perform like he began the Packers may yet have themselves a solid receiving corps going into the season. Whether that unit will include veteran and oft-injured receiver Robert Ferguson...? First of all, what are the odds he actually completes the season? Track record there, admittedly through no fault of his own, isn't in his favor. Still, according to an article in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Ferguson has worked very hard in the off-season to take advantage of what he knows is probably his last chance. He also has changed his number from 89 to 87 in the hopes of getting some good luck. He's due. It will take more than that, though. With all the receivers -- young and old -- in camp, he has his work cut out for him. Ever since Mike Sherman selected Ferguson in the draft rather than UW -- and now pro! -- standout receiver Chris Chambers six years ago, he has carried some baggage that was not his fault. Combine that with only playing in 60 games in his entire career and Ferguson has never been a fan favorite, despite showing some flashes of receiving brilliance. Still, at this point, he's almost an underdog story.
Last, but certainly not least, was the presence of Mr. Favre at camp. Actually, not merely the presence but also practice. Brett threw the ball for the first time since the end of the season. He wasn't expected to actually practice as he is still recovering from his ankle surgery earlier this year. But...you know Brett. Video of some of the practices also showed a smiling Brett. Looked like he was having some fun. Despite confessing to being bored with these minicamps, the leadership he provides merely by attending was huge. Vernand Morency described just one instance of this according to a report in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: "I was in the locker room messing around, and he came up to me. We went over a single play and I understood what he wanted and we got that fixed. If he wouldn't (have come) we wouldn't have ever got that fixed." When Brett speaks, people listen. Coach McCarthy -- not surprisingly -- said players and coaches alike benefit from just having Brett on hand. Yes, Coach has a flare for understatement.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/posting.php

Minicamp Roundup

There are a ton of articles about minicamp posted at jsonline.com. First is about the starting defensive tackle battle between DTs Corey Williams and 1st round pick Justin Harrell. It's good to read that Williams is motivated to beat out Harrell for the starting spot opposite DT Ryan Pickett, but it really doesn't matter. It's a matter of pride for whichever is named the starter, but all three tackles will probably receive about the same amount of playing time. Even if Williams is not named the starter, he might still play more than Pickett or Harrell because he has the size to play on run downs and is the best pass rusher of the three.
It might be an interesting changing of the guard that TE Donald Lee is starting ahead of TE Bubba Franks so far, but Lee only managed 10 catches in 2006 and isn't someone to get excited about. Lee was really promising in 2005 but he was invisible for most of 2006. It would be hard to believe he has somehow come out of nowhere since last season to beat out Franks.
It is amazing that WR Robert Ferguson is still on the roster. Mike Sherman signed Ferguson to a relatively cheap contract a couple years ago and it hasn't been necessary to release him since the Packers have had a good amount of salary cap room. On any team with any salary cap issues, Ferguson would have been long gone. The article says he has put on weight and it's likely he has lost some speed with the extra size. He has rarely shown any ability to play well in between the hash marks, so if he loses his deep speed along the sideline, then he's got nothing left. He needs to stay healthy, but he also needs to show some promise, which he hasn't shown in the last couple of seasons.
CB Will Blackmon had a great offseason. That's good news, but it doesn't really say anything. Right now its CBs Al Harris and Charles Woodson as the starters, CB Patrick Dendy in as the nickel cornerback, and that's pretty good. At the end of the season S Tyrone Culver came in as the sixth defensive back, but Blackmon and free agent CB Frank Walker probably have a good chance to play instead. Blackmon was a 4th round pick in 2006 so there is some expectation that he will earn some playing time in his 2nd NFL season or he might become in danger of losing his spot on the roster. He shouldn't be a big part of the defense in 2007, but he is probably the next best option if any of the top 3 cornerbacks are hurt.
And RB Vernand Morency is setting the pace! The article says Morency received slightly more time than RBs P.J. Pope and Noah Herron who are the only other running backs that aren't hurt or stuck on a promotional gig. Morency should be the number one back at this point, but this minicamp would have been a lot more interesting if 2nd round pick RB Brandon Jackson hadn't been doing endorsements in L.A. and was actually battling Morency for snaps. Unless Jackson really dazzles in the preseason, it would be a shock if Morency lost the starting job. It might be similar to the situation in Indianapolis last season, when RB Dominic Rhodes started most of the season and rookie RB Joseph Addai slowly picked away at Rhodes' playing time until Addai eventually played more than Rhodes. Morency might begin the season as the starting RB, but it seems likely that Jackson will eventually take the job away from him.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/index.php?ntid=135393

Packers: Minicamp puts team in prime position

After a week of drama surrounding quarterback Brett Favre, an offseason of inaction in the free agent market and a draft that was widely panned by so-called experts and fans, the Green Bay Packers got exactly what they needed during their full-squad mandatory minicamp, which ended Sunday. Actual football. While the four practices inside the Don Hutson Center were hardly a predictor of how they'll fare in coach Mike McCarthy's second year, the three-day camp did provide a jumping-off point for the 2007 season, as the coaches reviewed the ups and downs of last year's 8-8 finish, took those lessons to the practice field and installed the first two of the nine-part offensive and defensive playbooks.
And although it did mark the only time the full squad will be together until training camp opens in late July, McCarthy cautioned no lasting decisions were to be made from what went on. "No jobs were won or lost this weekend. Opportunity is abundant throughout our football team, and that'll all be answered in time," McCarthy said Sunday afternoon, following the final practice. "These sessions are very important - if they weren't, we wouldn't have them - but we're in the learning phase, we're in the phase where we're just trying to put things together. What really counts is when we put the pads on in training camp."
Here's a position-by-position look at the Packers coming out of their only mandatory offseason session and heading into their voluntary organized team activity practices, which kick off May 31:
Quarterback. Favre and backup Aaron Rodgers were held out of 11-on-11 sessions throughout the camp, giving third-stringer Ingle Martin most of the snaps in team periods. While Martin was inconsistent, he did have some encouraging moments, and undrafted rookie free agents Jerry Babb and Paul Thompson will have to come a long, long way during the OTAs to challenge Martin for the No. 3 job in training camp. McCarthy said Favre will take part in nine of the 12 OTA practices, while Rodgers said he should be cleared for team drills after the first week of OTAs. Rodgers said the OTAs and training camp are another opportunity for him to show his younger teammates he is capable of taking over when Favre walks away. "Brett's looking good. He's going to be in great shape by the time the season rolls around," Rodgers said. "I've always had confidence in myself, and I think this team is starting to have confidence in me. It's just a matter of being consistent - every day, every practice - and showing these guys that we're going to be in good hands if I get to be the starter."
Running back. Perhaps the most important competition on the roster following the free agent departure of starter Ahman Green, the halfback job is clearly Vernand Morency's to lose, if only because three of the top competitors - draft picks Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, and 2006 training camp surprise Arliss Beach - weren't involved. Jackson missed the camp because of a scheduling conflict with an NFL sponsorship event, while Wynn suffered a calf strain during the rookie orientation camp May 4 to 6 and Beach, who missed all of last season with a right ankle injury, was out with turf toe in his left foot. Morency worked with the No. 1 offense ahead of Noah Herron and P.J. Pope, but Morency's challenge during camp will be to prove he can be a workhorse back. If he can't carry the load, McCarthy has said he'll take the halfback-by-committee approach. Herron still looks like the best third-down back. "I don't know enough about 'Mo' to sit here and tell you he can't carry the ball 20 times a game," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "In the NFL, there's quite a few examples of two running backs getting a good bit of time of sharing the ball. We'll just have to see how it plays out."
At fullback, Brandon Miree worked with the No. 1s following the offseason release of veteran William Henderson, while rookies Corey White, Ryan Powdrell and Korey Hall were behind Miree. White also took snaps at halfback.
Wide receiver. For as much talk there was this offseason about the receiver the Packers don't have - now-New England Patriot Randy Moss - there'll be plenty of competition at the position come training camp. While two-time Pro Bowl receiver Donald Driver and a now-healthy Greg Jennings will be the starters, the battle for the three or four roster spots behind them figures to be fierce. Holdovers Ruvell Martin, Chris Francies, Calvin Russell and Carlyle Holiday will compete with Robert Ferguson and Shaun Bodiford, both of whom are coming off season-ending injuries, as well as rookie draft picks James Jones (third round) and David Clowney (fifth round). "There's a lot of talent at every (receiver) position," Rodgers said. "I think we've got the weapons we need. I think we're going to be pretty formidable on offense." Jennings, who caught 21 passes for 378 yards and three TDs in the first six games as a rookie but 24 passes for 254 yards and no TDs the rest of the year, clearly has regained his burst. "Man, I do feel good. I feel like I'm back," Jennings said. "I'm not concerned with the ankle, I'm not thinking about anything, I'm just out there being the old me. That definitely feels good." •
Tight end. The position is wide open, as former starter Bubba Franks must re-earn his spot after a horrendous 2006 season. Donald Lee, who caught 10 passes for 150 yards last year, worked ahead of Franks with the first team throughout the camp. Behind them, holdovers Tory Humphrey and Zac Alcorn will compete with rookie seventh-round pick Clark Harris for the No. 3 job, although if the team deems Franks expendable by the end of training camp, one of these three would have to take on a major role. Alcorn missed the last two days with a bruised knee. "We are adjusting some things as we move forward with the tight end position, and I think we have excellent competition," McCarthy said. "But Bubba Franks is a veteran football player, and we're expecting him to contribute to our football team."
Offensive line. Starting right guard Jason Spitz strained his back early in the first practice so Junius Coston filled in with the front five, lining up with left tackle Chad Clifton, left guard Daryn Colledge, center Scott Wells and right tackle Mark Tauscher. McCarthy said the coaches want their young linemen to settle into one position, which is why Tony Moll worked as the No. 2 right tackle behind Tauscher rather than moving into right guard, where he started five games last year. Kevin Barry, who suffered a ruptured quadriceps tendon almost exactly a year ago in minicamp, was withheld from the camp but said he hopes to take part in the OTAs. Barry said the coaches plan to work him at right guard and right tackle. Rookie fourth-round pick Allen Barbre, who played left tackle in college, spent the camp at left guard behind Colledge. When Clifton missed the Saturday morning practice, Josh Bourke and Orrin Thompson filled in. "When we first got together in February (2006), there was a lot of holes on that depth chart. There was nobody there," McCarthy said of the line. "I think we have a very, very bright future starting this year with the offensive line."
Defensive line. Defensive tackle Corey Williams admitted Sunday he was more than a little surprised when the team took fellow DT Justin Harrell with the 16th overall pick in last month's draft. But Williams, who started 11 games at that spot last year alongside Ryan Pickett and had a career-high seven sacks, remains an ascending player and worked with the No. 1 unit for most of camp. Harrell was held out of all 11-on-11 work while he is in the final stages of rehabbing the ruptured biceps tendon that cut short his senior year at Tennessee. Harrell said he thought he was going to be "full go" but he was limited to drill work and hitting the tackling bags. "They drafted me No. 1, and I want to come in here and prove myself to the guys. And you can't do that when you're not participating all the way," Harrell said. "I'm just following doctor's orders. When they release me, I'm going to go out and try my best." Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman probably won't practice until training camp after an April knee scope, while demoted end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila suffered a bruised thigh Friday and sat out the rest of the camp. Johnny Jolly, a 2006 sixth-round pick in the mix inside, missed Sunday's practice because of what McCarthy termed a "personal emergency."
Linebackers. While the team has plenty of question marks, this isn't one of them. The starting threesome of Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga is the most solidified of any position on the roster, with the only competition as of now being for backup spots. "I think A.J. Hawk is a prime-time player in the National Football League. I think that'll be proven as he moves forward," McCarthy said after Hawk picked off a Favre pass down the middle during 7-on-7 Sunday. "You can see his comfort in our scheme. I think Nick Barnett is a frontline player, too, and Brady Poppinga may be the most improved of the whole (defensive) group. "That group has a lot of competition in the backup area, but those first three I've been very impressed with."
Defensive backs. With starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson missing the final two practices - Harris after feeling back tightness Saturday morning; Woodson after being excused by McCarthy to attend a Saturday night "event" - Patrick Dendy and Will Blackmon worked with the first team. Blackmon is coming off a rookie season derailed by foot and rib injuries but figures to be prominent in the battle for the nickel and dime cornerback spots, along with Dendy, Jarrett Bush, Tramon Williams and Frank Walker, the team's only free agent signing. "I am very happy with the progress Bush has made, (as well as) Blackmon. And Patrick Dendy has had an excellent weekend," McCarthy said. "There's lot of competition."At safety, veteran Marquand Manuel remains a starter despite a disappointing first season in Green Bay. Asked to assess his play last season and whether he expects to keep his starting job, Manuel repeatedly replied, "Ask the coaches, man. Ask the coaches."
Special teams. Kicker Dave Rayner and punter Jon Ryan expected the team to bring in competition, and they got it - Rayner in sixth-round pick Mason Crosby, and Ryan in free agent David Lonie.The return game is wide open as Morency (kickoffs) and Woodson (punts) could be replaced by non-starters such as Bodiford, Blackmon, Jones and others."It's competition," special teams coordinator Mike Stock said. "I don't ever say it's anybody's job to lose. They'll compete."

Packnut
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Great stuff! I believe the truth of where we're at is on the bubble. We have way to many IF'S on this team right now. Can the majority of IF'S go our way? It's possible but the odd's are against it. I would agree Thompson has done a good enough job of building some depth, but this team lacks ESTABLISHED PROVEN play-makers.

The key to any success this year rest on the shoulders of 2 players. First Jennings has to take a step up like Walker did when he was given the chance. He has to take the pressure off DD. Some of you just assume this will happen and I hope your right. He has the physical talent and I'd say the odds are that he will make the next step up because Favre makes WR's who have a sliver of real talent take the next step up.

On D, believe it or not, I believe Collins has to take a HUGE step up and put it all together. He's shown flashes of how good he can be but lacks consistency. I think Manuel had a lot to do with Nick's lousy play the first 3/4's of last season. I'm just gonna believe that Thompson and MM are following the "never blame the player" routine when it comes to Manuel. They have to see how bad he really is and I just can't believe they would be stupid enough to start this clown again. All they need to do is look at the Berrian play all over again a few hundred times and just may-be they will see what 99.9% of us already know- he plays like he's running in cement! Nick will have to play solid until Underwood get's back to where he was.

IF those 2 things happen than anything is possible. Without both players making major contributions, it's gonna be a long season.....

The Leaper
05-25-2007, 11:49 AM
The key to any success this year rest on the shoulders of 2 players. First Jennings has to take a step up like Walker did when he was given the chance.

Unlikely. Jennings is NOT Walker. He isn't as fast. He isn't as tall. Jennings is a solid WR, but if anyone thinks he is going to be some kind of Walker clone they are sorely mistaken. Walker's deep speed and jump ball skills forced defenses to change their gameplans to respect the deep pass. I'm sorry, but Jennings did not show anything that would cause a team to fear him as a deep threat.

You also can't rely on Favre to "make" Jennings...Favre isn't as good as he used to be, and can't be expected to elevate the play of young WRs like he did for Freeman, Schroeder and Driver.

There is a reason why I will always been upset with Thompson for driving Walker out of town...Walker has physical talent that you just can't teach or learn.

On D, believe it or not, I believe Collins has to take a HUGE step up and put it all together. He's shown flashes of how good he can be but lacks consistency.

I would agree that Collins is a real key to the defense this year. We seem pretty well set everywhere but safety, and if Collins can become consistent then our defense has a chance to be very good.

I just feel that the offense is the major key for the team moving forward. The defense can improve drastically, and this team still may be no better than 8-8 if they are unable to put points on the board...especially in the red zone. There are so many questions on offense (RB, OL, TE, WR) with few potential answers acquired in the offseason...which is why Favre has been so frustrated recently.

TopHat
05-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Offensive Line. Analysis: The offensive line will need to make major strides to be a strength of this team. Fortunately for Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy, it looks like most of the major strides will be made from within instead of from roster turnover. The young core of our line looks like it could be a strength for years to come; the Packers are known for drafting strong offensive linemen. Locks: (5) Mark Tauscher, Chad Clifton, Darren Colledge, Jason Spitz, Scott Wells. Near Locks: (2) Tony Moll, Allen Barbre. Front-runner: Junius Coston Coston looked like he was tailor made for the ZBS. It is going to be his job to finally make the leap from a project to a rotational player. The coaches have been saying he is making strides, and that wins him this front runner position. He could just as easily be a late cut.
Long shot: Tony Palmer. Tony is a mauling guard we got as a late cut last season. He didn't see the field, but got a lot of praise when we cleared a roster spot for him. With Barbre coming in and being the perfect size to step in and play guard immediately (though I assume he will be groomed to replace Chad Clifton), it seems that Palmer is going to be the odd man out. Sleeper: Kevin Barry. Barry may not be built to run in the ZBS, but he could make a statement to the Packers coming back off of his injury. Barry has something to prove, and could end up being used as trade bait if he shows he still has something left in the tank.
The way I see it: I think that we will trade Barry to another team for some tight end depth. I see the last two roster spots at lineman going to Junius Coston and Josh Bourke. Both have made major improvements and, while they probably won't see the field, will be the best immediate replacements for the ZBS. I don't see a lot of the undrafted talent coming in and pushing anyone, but I have been wrong before.
Quarterback Analysis: Quarterback is the easiest position to predict. We have two assured locks in Favre and Rodgers, and we didn't draft anyone. Someone is going to have to get hit by lightning for there to be a roster switch here. Locks: (2) Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers. Near Locks: (0) None. Front-runner: Ingle Martin. The coaches said he looked better. I'm not so sure that he is a capable quarterback, but luckily for the Packers faithful, we won't find out. It isn't so much that he is a lock for the 3rd position, but instead that the quarterbacks behind him look terrible. Long shot: Jerry Babb. If this kid doesn't make a major jump soon, he might get cut before training camp. The team is known for pulling solid talent from 2nd tier schools, but Babb doesn't look the part.... The way I see it: I don't see a roster change. Thompson might get put on the practice squad, but the active roster won't have any moves on it.
Running Back. Analysis: The running back position is interesting. We lost our #1 runner of many years, but have a solid producer in Vernand Morency to step in immediately. We also have a newcomer that could push 'Mo' for time. Behind them, there is going to be a battle. Between running back and fullback there will be 5 players. We could hold 4 running backs if DeShawn Wynn makes strides towards being a RB/FB swingman. Locks: Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson. Front-runner: DeShawn Wynn. Attitude problems aside, Wynn is a talent. He has the size to be a power runner, and he has the talent to play running back and fullback. Such a move would allow the team to keep and extra running back. Long shot: PJ Pope. A pull from the Bears squad will definitely be a longshot to make the roster. He will have to leapfrog Herron, Beach, and Wynn to have a shot at this roster. Sleeper: Arliss Beach. This kid looked like a strong runner in his preseason play. Unfortunately, injury got the best of him, and he didn't get to realize his potential. I expect him to get better and, hopefully, make the transition from the old offense to the ZBS that Gado couldn't make.
The way I see it: I think we hold onto 4 running backs, including DeShawn Wynn. This allows one more spot, and I think it goes to Arliss Beach. Noah Herron's running ability is nothing special, and his pass catching ability can be filled by Brandon Jackson. Arliss Beach looks like a player that could be a strong runner in this offense.
Fullback. Analysis: I think that there will only be one slot for a fullback with DeShawn Wynn making the roster. That makes for a major gut-check for Brandon Miree. Front-runner: Corey White. Since everyone was at ground zero going into mini-camp, Corey White took the lead. He will have to keep it up when he gets the pads on, but it is not an inconceivable event. Long shot: Ryan Powdrell. The USC linebacker-to-fullback does not look like he is going to warrant a spot on the roster, but he might battle Korey Hall for a spot on the practice squad. Sleeper: Korey Hall. Another linebacker-to-fullback player. He hits hard, but I would almost rather see him at linebacker since he has excellent ballskills. He will give 100% of himself, but since he is a project right off the bat, I see him on the practice squad.
The way I see it: This is really a two horse race in my mind. The spot is going to go to Corey White or Brandon Miree. I think that Miree was unspectacular in regular season games, and that it will work against him. White has a chance to impress in camp and preseason, and might make the roster based on his ceiling. My roster spot goes to White.
Tight End. Analysis: This position was a major weakness for the Packers. We couldn't get any red-zone production, and the offensive line needed our tight end to stay in on extra packages for pass protection. Players will need to shape up or ship out, as it seems that the Packers are possibly ready to move on to players that have shown skills in. Front-runner: Donald Lee. Got the #1 spot by default. Bubba was absolutely awful. Lee has the speed to hit seam routes, but is not a spectacular blocker, and dropped too many passes. He is the closest thing to a lock at the position. Long shot: Clark Harris. Solid pass catching option, but can't block worth a lick. From what he is saying to reporters, it is something he plans on fixing. He better fix it in a hurry, because Alcorn and Humphrey have been waiting for their chance to hit the regular season roster. Sleeper: Zac Alcorn. One of our two sleeper players. He and Humprey are going to get their chance this offseason. Bubba may be the ex-Pro Bowler, but he doesn't have the speed to make special plays. Alcorn and Humphrey both have good speed, and are hard working players. Expect one of them to make the roster.
The way I see it: Bubba better come back into his own if he wants to make this roster. Right now, I think that the Packers could go with Donald Lee, Zac Alcorn/Tory Humphrey (one of the two), and Clark Harris. If Bubba comes back into his own, I think it will bounce Clark Harris.
Wide Receiver. Analysis: There is a lot of compeition on the back end of the receiver position. It looks like it is time for the team to make a step forward from older players to young guys with high ceilings. With the return of Koren Robinson imminent, I only see 1 open spot on the roster. Locks: (3) Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones. Near Locks: David Clowney - Koren Robinson is a near lock for later in the season. Front-runner: Carlyle Holiday. Showed that he might be the better receiver between himself and Ruvell Martin. He got more separation, and caught the ball well away from his body; even with cornerbacks closing in on him. Long shot: Carlton Brewster. He is putting up good numbers in NFL Europe, but will have a hard time making the roster unless he is a major contributor on special teams....
The way I see it: I think that the 2 receivers that will make the immediate roster are Holiday and (Ruvell) Martin, but that Martin will lose his roster spot to Koren Robinson unless there is an injury. Someone behind him will have to be a good kick returner to make the roster. The only exception is Ferguson. If Ferguson finally hits stride this year, he will make the roster over Holiday and Martin.
Defensive Line. Analysis: A strength of the team last year, Ted Thompson hopes that the line continues to make strides by adding Justin Harrell and extending Cullen Jenkins. With 3 locks at both DT and DE, there will be plenty of competition to fill the other 3 roster spots along the defensive line. Locks: (5) Justin Harrell, Ryan Pickett, Corey Williams, Aaron Kampman, Cullen Jenkins. Near Locks: (1) Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Front-runner: Colin Cole. A two gapping run stuffer. He has been a good stand in for years, and will probably complete the defensive line rotation of Harrell, Pickett, and Williams. Might catch some competition from Johnny Jolly, but Cole has consistantly proven that his work ethic and on-field motor are his strengths. Long shot: Johnny Jolly. Johnny Jolly is going to have to change the way he thinks about his job if he wants to continue to have one with the Packers. If the Packers decide to keep 5 DTs instead of 5 DEs, Jolly could get on the roster, but then again he could get leapfrogged by Daniel Muir if he steps up. Sleeper: Jason Hunter. Hunter looks like he could be the next KGB. He has the speed off of the edge, but is a little one dimentional. If he could take the next step, he might even make KGB a tradeable commodity.
The way I see it: I think that we will keep Mike Montgomery, Colin Cole, and Jason Hunter. DeVon Hicks could make the roster and bounce Mike Montgomery. Johnny Jolly could step up and make Jason Hunter expendable. KGB could also be a trading chip late in camp if someone else is making major strides.
Linebacker. Analysis: The days of Bernardo Harris being our best linebacker are long gone. Linebacker is the new found strength of the defensive roster. Our starting linebackers look like locks, but our backups could step up and battle for some playing time. Locks: (2) Nick Barnett, AJ Hawk. Near Locks: Brady Poppinga. Front-runner: Abdul Hodge. Even though Hodge was victimized in what should have been a victory in Seattle, he is still the most talented linebacking prospect we have. He will need to temper the idea that he deserves field time, and go out and earn it. He may have to move to strong side linebacker if he wants to see the field. Long shot: Juwan Simpson. Fast player, but undersized. Will have a hard time leapfrogging the current roster on top of beating out Rory Johnson and Desmond Bishop at the same position. Sleeper: Desmond Bishop. Big scary linebacker. He was the heart of a defense, and put up a ridiculous amount of tackles. He is a sure tackler, and would be a great addition if he can make the transition from middle linebacker to strong-side linebacker.
The way I see it: The top 3 are decided. I think that Abdul is a near lock. That leaves 2 positions. Tracy White proved that he could make special teams plays, and that might be the difference between him making the roster and a younger player like Simpson or Johnson making the roster. My 6 spots go to Barnett, Hawk, Poppinga, Hodge, Bishop, and White.
Cornerback. Analysis: Cornerback was another strength late in the season. Woodson really came on, Harris was himself, and Patrick Dendy made a solid amount of plays for a nickel corner. We added our only real free agent addition in Frank Walker. However, Walker doesn't look like he is going to get the nickel position he was drafted for; unless, of course, he beats out Will Blackmon. Locks: (2) Al Harris, Charles Woodson. Near Locks: Will Blackmon, Frank Walker. Front-runner: Patrick Dendy. Who would have thought a longshot from Rice would play well at nickel for us two years later? Not me. He has beaten out competition, and proved himself on the field. Not a specatcular player, but he doesn't make a lot of mistakes either. Long shot: Any of the UDFAs. Since we had an influx of players already seen by our front office in Bush, Walker, and Blackmon, I don't see the UDFAs sniffing the roster. Sleeper: Jarrett Bush. Speedster on special teams could find his way into the last cornerback spot.
The way I see it: I think that Dendy gets the last roster spot, but that Bush could get it if he shows solid cover skills and continues to be great on special teams.
Safety. Analysis: Outside of Nick Collins, not much has been decided. Manuel might have played himself right out of a roster spot. Marviel Underwood has not proven much other than that he is injury prone. The second starter spot is up for grabs, and so are the 2 backup positions. Locks: Nick Collins. Near Locks: Aaron Rouse. Front-runner: Marviel Underwood. If he can continue to improve and get over the injury bug, he will probably start next to Nick Collins. He definitely has better speed than Manuel, and is hopefully more assignment sure than Manuel. Long shot: Charlie Peprah. Late season pickup. Didn't get a lot of field time, and will not have the upper hand over Manuel, Underwood or Culver. Sleeper: Tyrone Culver. May not be the most athletic player, but was fairly assignment sure. Could definitely work his way into a backup position.
The way I see it: I think that Manuel played his way right out of Green Bay. Thompson stuck his neck out and was wrong. The positive is that Thompson does not reserve roster spots for his mistakes like Sherman had in the past. I think Manuel is gone, and that the 4 spots go to Collins, Underwood, Rouse, and Culver.
Special Teams. Analysis: Punter, kicker, and long snapper. Strangely, there is competition for all three positions. We were solid last year, but will hope to improve with a high end kicker pick. We could also save a roster spot at another position with a carry over position player like Clark Harris beating out incumbent Rob Davis. Front-runner: Mason Crosby. It is not Thompson's way to draft Special Teams only players (let it be known that Corey Rodgers also played wide receiver, and if he would have been good at it, he would have made the roster there, and not at kick retuner). Crosby was a great value in the 6th round since he was projected to be drafted first day. His leg strength is at least equivalent to Rayner's, and he is nearly automatic from inside of 55 yards. Long shot: Clark Harris. No chance he beats out Rob Davis. Davis would have to break all of his bones. Sleeper: Dave Rayner. He needs to come out ready to fight to beat out Crosby. I'm putting him at sleeper because I think he could pull it off.
The way I see it: I think that the three spots go to Davis, Jon Ryan and Mason Crosby. Dave Rayner will be a tough cut.

TopHat
05-25-2007, 12:58 PM
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9103/feedbackig4.gif

woodbuck27
05-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

I'm going with the other option as I can't see 8 wins this season.

I just hope that we are generally in each game or competitive, and that we don't get blown out in more than 3 games.

Here is our schedule.

2007 Regular Season Schedule

Date Opponent Time TV

Sun., Sept. 9 Philadelphia Eagles 12 noon FOX

2006 Playoff team and always very tuff on us.

Sun., Sept. 16 @ New York Giants 12 noon FOX

2006 Playoff team and we play them on the road.

Sun., Sept. 23 San Diego Chargers (Gold Pkg.) 12 noon CBS

A TOP ranked AFC team and a definite contender for the Super Bowl.

Sun., Sept. 30 @ Minnesota Vikings 12 noon FOX

NFCN Rival that did well in the draft according to experts. They are always tough on us and Favre in the Metrodome.

Sun., Oct. 7 Chicago Bears 7:15 p.m. NBC

NFC Rep. in last seasons Super Bowl. We have a better QB.

Comment woodbuck27:

We could easily open 0-5.

Sun., Oct. 14 Washington Redskins 12 noon FOX

This should be a team on the rise and not to be taken for granted with many ingredients in place.

Sun., Oct. 21 Open Date

Mon., Oct. 29 @ Denver Broncos 7:30 p.m. ESPN

Always tough AFC team that made a ton of off season moves to improve. The Broncos are very difficult at home.

Sun., Nov. 4 @ Kansas City Chiefs 12 noon FOX

Back to back road games with another AFC team on the rise.

Sun., Nov. 11 Minnesota Vikings (Gold Pkg.) 12 noon FOX

The rubber with the Vikings but in Lambeau.

Sun., Nov. 18 Carolina Panthers *12 noon FOX

This was a disappointing team in 2006 but had maybe the finist draft of all teams and a decent off season. This team won't stay down. A tough match-up at Lambeau.

Comment woodbuck27:

We could easily be 3-7 by game TEN of our schedule. With wins against Washington, the Vikings and Panthers at Lambeau. If we split the road games with the Broncos and Chiefs, yet lose to the Panthers at Lambeau. We are still at 3-7.

Thurs., Nov. 22 @ Detroit Lions (Thanksgiving) 11:30 a.m. FOX

We don't play the Lions very well on Thanksgiving Day.

Note: May 27,2007

The end zone

The Las Vegas Hilton's sports book has put out betting lines for selected NFL games. A month or so ago, the Lions were made three-point underdogs in the opening game at Oakland.

A couple of days ago, the Hilton made the Lions one-point favorites over Green Bay on Thanksgiving Day.

Thurs., Nov. 29 @ Dallas Cowboys 7:15 p.m. NFLN

Always a difficult foe for us and they are ranked well above us.

Sun., Dec. 9 Oakland Raiders *12 noon CBS

Can we win this one? YES !!

Sun., Dec. 16 @ St. Louis Rams *12 noon FOX

This won't be an easy game. The Rams have a very decent offense.

Sun., Dec. 23 @ Chicago Bears *12 noon FOX

We play well at Chicago in December (well anytime Favre plays well there.. We can take this one.

Sun., Dec. 30 Detroit Lions *12 noon FOX

DITTO. . . see Sun. Dec. 23, 2007

Comment woodbuck27:

It's early but when I look at our schedule I see 6 wins and 10 loss's.

LL2
05-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Great stuff! I believe the truth of where we're at is on the bubble. We have way to many IF'S on this team right now. Can the majority of IF'S go our way? It's possible but the odd's are against it. I would agree Thompson has done a good enough job of building some depth, but this team lacks ESTABLISHED PROVEN play-makers.

The key to any success this year rest on the shoulders of 2 players. First Jennings has to take a step up like Walker did when he was given the chance. He has to take the pressure off DD. Some of you just assume this will happen and I hope your right. He has the physical talent and I'd say the odds are that he will make the next step up because Favre makes WR's who have a sliver of real talent take the next step up.

On D, believe it or not, I believe Collins has to take a HUGE step up and put it all together. He's shown flashes of how good he can be but lacks consistency. I think Manuel had a lot to do with Nick's lousy play the first 3/4's of last season. I'm just gonna believe that Thompson and MM are following the "never blame the player" routine when it comes to Manuel. They have to see how bad he really is and I just can't believe they would be stupid enough to start this clown again. All they need to do is look at the Berrian play all over again a few hundred times and just may-be they will see what 99.9% of us already know- he plays like he's running in cement! Nick will have to play solid until Underwood get's back to where he was.

IF those 2 things happen than anything is possible. Without both players making major contributions, it's gonna be a long season.....

I agree with your assessment Packnut. If some of the IF’s go in the Pack’s favor then this could be a decent year. Yes, the team is lacking in Playmaker’s, but you do not draft based on who you think is a Playmaker. You draft on your best research and hope that you hit on a Playmaker or two.

By the way TopHat I like your lady holding the Lombardi trophy. Maybe she will bring us good luck.

Packnut
05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
The key to any success this year rest on the shoulders of 2 players. First Jennings has to take a step up like Walker did when he was given the chance.

Unlikely. Jennings is NOT Walker. He isn't as fast. He isn't as tall. Jennings is a solid WR, but if anyone thinks he is going to be some kind of Walker clone they are sorely mistaken. Walker's deep speed and jump ball skills forced defenses to change their gameplans to respect the deep pass. I'm sorry, but Jennings did not show anything that would cause a team to fear him as a deep threat.

You also can't rely on Favre to "make" Jennings...Favre isn't as good as he used to be, and can't be expected to elevate the play of young WRs like he did for Freeman, Schroeder and Driver.

There is a reason why I will always been upset with Thompson for driving Walker out of town...Walker has physical talent that you just can't teach or learn.

On D, believe it or not, I believe Collins has to take a HUGE step up and put it all together. He's shown flashes of how good he can be but lacks consistency.

I would agree that Collins is a real key to the defense this year. We seem pretty well set everywhere but safety, and if Collins can become consistent then our defense has a chance to be very good.

I just feel that the offense is the major key for the team moving forward. The defense can improve drastically, and this team still may be no better than 8-8 if they are unable to put points on the board...especially in the red zone. There are so many questions on offense (RB, OL, TE, WR) with few potential answers acquired in the offseason...which is why Favre has been so frustrated recently.

I did not mean to imply that Jennings is as talented as Walker cause he's not. I just meant taking a leap in production. Don't even get me started on the Walker fiasco. It was and is the most idiotic most ass-nine non-draft move I've ever seen a GM make in 42 years of watching football. This would be a totally different offense with Walker. Would'nt have to count on some rookie to run our deep stuff. Driver would NEVER see double coverage. Favre would be happy and we'd always have a chance in any game. You never never give up a blue chip player PERIOD. There is no excuse for Thompson's fuc@ up on that one.

Walker, if he stays healthy will be a top 10 WR this season and I'll back that up with cash for anyone who want's to tell me I'm wrong. Losing Walker has caused this offense to be set back at least 3 years may-be more. I'll go to my grave cursing Teddy for being such a freaking idiot over Walker!

TopHat
05-25-2007, 08:11 PM

TopHat
05-26-2007, 03:58 PM
http://nfl.com/news/story/10197252

Offseason update: Green Bay Packers

This is what I like about the Green Bay Packers' offseason moves: General manager Ted Thompson is remaining true to his philosophy of building through the draft. He should. The Packers have gotten solid contributions from the young players Thompson already has added. They are likely to get more from this year's draft choices. Justin Harrell was a surprise choice, but he figures to help. Although it didn't address a crying need, the selection of former Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell in the first round fortified the strength of a defense that showed dramatic improvement during the course of last season. The Packers have all 11 defensive starters at the end of last year returning. The 6-foot-4-plus, 314-pound Harrell will provide a large, powerful force for the middle of the defense. He should see significant playing time as a rookie, rotating with Corey Williams.
The Packers drew heavy criticism for using the 16th overall pick of the draft on a defensive lineman rather than a running back, which was where they needed the most help after the free-agent departure of Ahman Green. However, the two best backs in the draft (Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch ) were gone by then. No problem. The Packers still managed to find a quality replacement for Green in the second round, where they selected former Nebraska standout Brandon Jackson. Jackson is a big (5-9-plus, 206 pounds), strong runner who also has exceptional athleticism, balance and instincts. If he doesn't start right away, he will at least do quite a bit of alternating with Vernand Morency.
Free-agent cornerback Frank Walker, formerly of the New York Giants, should compete with Will Blackmon for the nickel back spot. Given that the Packers have two aging starters -- Al Harris and Charles Woodson -- Walker or Blackman could end up with an even greater role.
The rest of Green Bay's draft generated some outstanding athletes who figure to contribute as reserves and who eventually could find their way into starting spots. Third-rounder Aaron Rouse will be in the mix to challenge starting strong safety Marquand Manuel. Third-year veteran Marviel Underwood has the edge based on experience, provided he is able to return from a knee injury that sidelined him for all of last season. But Rouse shows enough intelligence and savvy to be a factor.
This is what concerns me: Brett Favre sounding off in public about the Packers' failure to acquire former Oakland Raiders receiver Randy Moss, who wound up joining the New England Patriots. That promptly sparked reports that Favre had demanded a trade. Favre later denied that was the case, but the episode has created lingering doubts about the quarterback's enthusiasm to be part of a team that continues to follow the younger-is-better philosophy in acquiring talent. Once Favre made the decision to return for a 16th season, he needed to be fully aboard with Thompson's program. As a living legend and the Packers' only choice to start at quarterback, Favre certainly might feel entitled to throw his weight around on player-personnel matters. But he should have kept his disappointment over the Moss situation to himself and moved on with the intention of getting the most out of his surrounding cast.
The fact is, the Packers started showing progress last year and there is a very good chance they'll show more this season. Will it be enough for a playoff spot? Given the NFL's competitive balance, anything's possible. The bottom line is that the many young players on the team need Favre to be a positive leader, and his attitude will go a long way toward helping -- or hurting -- this team's ability to overcome the challenges presented by the roster's youth.

BallHawk
05-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I find it interesting that the majority of people have us winning nine games, but they don't have us making the playoffs. I don't think the NFC got significantly better that you're going to have to win two more games then last year to make the playoffs. I don't think you 're still gonna be able to get in on a .500 record, but I'm pretty sure 9-7 could do it.

The Leaper
05-27-2007, 04:38 PM
I find it interesting that the majority of people have us winning nine games, but they don't have us making the playoffs. I don't think the NFC got significantly better that you're going to have to win two more games then last year to make the playoffs. I don't think you 're still gonna be able to get in on a .500 record, but I'm pretty sure 9-7 could do it.

Well, to be honest, that is really the only "realistic" goal in this poll. It isn't like the team is going to realistically set a goal to be the same 8-8 team they were last year. You always set a goal to be BETTER than before. However, most people view this team has not really improving all that much from last year.

In that light, the 9 win option is really the only one that makes sense "realistically".

TopHat
05-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Well, to be honest, that is really the only "realistic" goal in this poll. It isn't like the team is going to realistically set a goal to be the same 8-8 team they were last year. You always set a goal to be BETTER than before. However, most people view this team has not really improving all that much from last year.

In that light, the 9 win option is really the only one that makes sense "realistically".

I AGREE.

TopHat
05-28-2007, 12:55 PM

woodbuck27
05-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Detroit Lions Off Season moves.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10195586

Offseason update: Detroit Lions

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(May 24, 2007) -- This is what I like about the Detroit Lions' offseason moves: Matt Millen wasn't afraid to do the right thing even when so many critics said it was wrong. And the right thing was making Calvin Johnson the second overall pick of the draft even though he was the fourth receiver the Lions' president has selected in the first round in the last five drafts.

Johnson was the most talented player in this year's college crop, and he should instantly improve the offense.

Opponents figure to dread the thought of trying to cover Johnson, Roy Williams (the NFC's 2006 leader in receiving yards) and Mike Furrey (the NFC's '06 leader in receptions) when offensive coordinator Mike Martz goes to a three-receiver set (which will be often).

Roy Williams is even more dangerous with Calvin Johnson now onboard.

The Lions made their offensive line better by trading with the Denver Broncos for tackle George Foster and signing guard Edwin Mulitalo after he was released from the Baltimore Ravens. Foster has the necessary quickness and athleticism to provide good protection in Martz's aggressive passing scheme. He also does a good job of gaining position to create running lanes. Mulitalo brings a sense of toughness to the unit, and takes full advantage of his 6-foot-3, 340-pound frame to overpower opponents.

End Dewayne White, a free agent from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is an important addition to the Lions' defensive line. He understands Rod Marinelli's Cover 2 zone defense well from when Detroit's second-year coach was an assistant on the Bucs' staff. White's biggest challenge is making the transition from backup to full-time starter.

Former Hawaii defensive end Ikaika Alama-Francis, the second of Detroit's three second-round choices, didn't start playing organized football until college, so his skills need plenty of refinement. However, his considerable athleticism and power should allow him to make a noticeable pass-rushing impact as a rookie.

Former Boise State safety Gerald Alexander, the third of the Lions' second-rounders, has exceptional zone-coverage ability. That should give him a chance to make an immediate contribution in the Lions' scheme.

The Lions added some good depth to their running game by acquiring Tatum Bell in a trade with the Broncos and T.J. Duckett, most recently with the Washington Redskins, in free agency. With starter Kevin Jones recovering from a foot injury, it made sense to bring aboard two players capable of sharing the load or taking a larger part of it if Jones has recurring problems.

Jon Kitna's starting job is safe for now, but the Lions identified their quarterback of the future in their first second-round pick, Drew Stanton of Michigan State. Stanton is big (6-3 plus, 226 pounds), strong, and throws the ball well. However, he needs some serious tutoring from Martz to knock off the many rough edges of his game.

This is what concerns me: Kitna's prolific passing last season (4,208 yards) is an encouraging sign for an offense that has added so much help. The argument could be made that he should be even more prolific this season. However, Kitna's 21 touchdowns to 22 interceptions raise legitimate questions about whether he will be able to take full advantage of Johnson and his other game-breakers. Stanton is a promising project, but did the Lions make a mistake by not getting a quarterback who could be ready to step in this year ... especially after shipping Josh McCown to the Oakland Raiders?

Trading cornerback Dre' Bly to Denver made sense from the standpoint of eliminating a distraction; he wanted out. Still, the Lions face a challenge in replacing his ability to make plays.

Staying healthy has been a problem for linebackers Teddy Lehman, Boss Bailey and Alex Lewis. And Lehman and Paris Lenon just might not be stout enough at middle linebacker, even if they do play behind one of the NFL's best tandem of tackles (Cory Redding and Shaun Rogers ).

TopHat
05-29-2007, 03:34 AM
SMALL PACKER NATION SITE'S POLL:

What will the Packers record be?

12-4 3%

11-5 3%

10-6 29%

9-7 35%

8-8 12%

7-9 16%

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LARGE PACKER NATION SITE'S POLL:

What should the Packers set as a realistic goal for this season?

1. Go 8-8 Again 20.6%
2. Win 9-10 Games 25.2%
3. Make Playoffs 35.9%
4. Win Playoff Game+ 8.7%
5. Win Super Bowl 9.5%

TopHat
06-02-2007, 03:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6817568

NFC North off-season review. With the NFL Draft over, it's time to take a look at how each team approached its off-season, concluding with the NFC North.

Green Bay Packers. Brett Favre was not happy with the draft. He did not get the "weapon" he so desperately wanted. The Patriots acquired Randy Moss for a measly fourth-round pick. The Packers' fourth-rounder was used on Allen Barbre, an offensive linemen from Missouri Southern State who is unlikely to contribute until Favre has happily retired in Mississippi. Of course, the fact that a team's biggest star did not like the draft does not mean it was a bad draft. Justin Harrell should fit in right away and help clog the middle. First-round defensive tackle Justin Harrell has amazing physical skills but battled injuries in his senior season. The Packers were widely considered to have "reached" for Harrell with the 16th selection, but Harrell also has been said to have "top 10" talent. Once running back Marshawn Lynch was off the board, no running back was worthy of a first-round pick. The Packers' next biggest need was arguably defensive tackle, and Harrell could contribute immediately.
With Lynch gone, the Packers targeted Brandon Jackson of Nebraska. They traded down in the second round to take him. Most draft prognosticators had multiple backs that Green Bay could have taken ranked higher. So, Jackson, even more than Harrell, becomes the key pick of this draft by Ted Thompson. If he is the best fit for the Packers' system — and he ran in a similar zone-blocking scheme in college — then this draft could be surprisingly productive. After an outstanding draft last season, Thompson should get the benefit of the doubt.
Favre finally got a receiver with third-round pick James Jones from San Jose State. He projects as more of a possession receiver due to average speed. Fifth-round receiver David Clowney from Virginia Tech may have more upside than Jones and is a deep threat. Third-round safety Aaron Rouse, also from Virginia Tech, is a former linebacker who may not have the speed to be a consistent safety but should provide good run support.
Besides Barbey and Clowney, the second day netted two linebackers, Korey Hall and Desmond Bishop; kicker Mason Crosby; running back DeShawn Wynn; and tight end Clark Harris. Hall and Bishop will be mostly special teamers behind an established linebacker corps. Crosby could make a run at Dave Rayner, who is not sufficiently accurate as a kicker. Wynn, the talented back from Florida, will have an uphill battle to make the team, but if he puts it together he will be a major bargain.
Remaining needs. The Packers filled defensive tackle running back, and wide receiver needs with their first three picks, but they did nothing to address their glaring lack of depth at cornerback. Behind veterans Al Harris and Charles Woodson, the Packers have the underwhelming trio of Will Blackmon, Patrick Dendy and Frank Walker. The Packers also did not touch their thin tight end position until the selection of Harris in the seventh round.
Undrafted free agents. The Packers added a handful of undrafted free agents. Quarterback Jerry Babb broke several of Jake Delhomme's records at Louisiana-Lafayette. Babb will compete with Ingle Martin for the third quarterback position. The player with the best shot to make the team may be Ryan Powdrell, a fullback from Southern California. Brandon Miree is the starter, but he is not a great player, and veteran William Henderson was released.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6817568

Worst to first: Ranking the NFL off-seasons.

29. Green Bay Packers:

Ugh, MORE talk about Brett Favre's future? After stealing headlines over Super Bowl weekend by announcing he wasn't retiring and coming back to Green Bay for one more season, the ageless veteran made news...when Jay Glazer reported talk of a possible trade request. On the field, the Packers' only notable off-season acquisition was the signing of underwhelming cornerback Frank Walker from New York. Gone are long time Packers fixtures Ahman Green and William Henderson, and young TE David Martin signed with Miami. Through the draft, the Packers took risks on two players who had injuries in college: DT Justin Harrell and RB Brandon Jackson. Biggest gain: Justin Harrell, DT. Biggest loss: Ahman Green, RB.

TopHat
06-03-2007, 03:55 AM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/

PFW Rules Our World

...[T]he 2007 NFL preview issue by Pro Football Weekly that came out in May. Here are the projected records in the NFC North:

Chicago - 11-5
Green Bay - 7-9
Detroit - 6-10
Minnesota - 5-11

Here are the team rankings by position:
QB - Packers (B-), Lions (C+), Bears (C+), Vikings (D+)
RB - Vikings (B+), Lions (B-), Bears (B-), Packers (D+)
WR - Lions (B+), Bears (C+), Packers (C), Vikings (D)
OL - Bears (B+), Vikings (B), Packers (C+), Lions (D)
DL - Bears (B), Vikings (B-), Lions (B-), Packers (C)
LB - Bears (A-), Vikings (B-), Packers (B-), Lions (C-)
DB - Bears (B+), Vikings (B-), Packers (B-), Lions (C)
ST - Chicago (A), Lions (B), Vikings (C), Packers (C-)

QB Brett Favre is only a half a grade better than QB Rex Grossman? Kitna is as good as Grossman? Grossman shouldn't be trusted with the practice squad and should rank a lot lower.
There is no way the Packers defensive line is the worst in the conference. Led by Pro Bowl DE Aaron Kampman it is one of the better pass rushing lines in the NFL. There are teams in the NFL with more sacks, but the Packers record almost all sacks by their defensive line. They are as good against the run as Detroit and added DT Justin Harrell in the draft to add more depth.

CBs Al Harris and Charles Woodson continue to receive no respect for their solid 2006 season and are considered only as good as Minnesota and only slightly better than the awful Detroit cornerbacks.

No way the Packers special teams rank a C-. They were D to D- in 2006. Maybe PFW believes the promise of rookie K Mason Crosby single handedly improves them to C-.

HarveyWallbangers
06-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Here are the team rankings by position:
QB - Packers (B-), Lions (C+), Bears (C+), Vikings (D+)
RB - Vikings (B+), Lions (B-), Bears (B-), Packers (D+)
WR - Lions (B+), Bears (C+), Packers (C), Vikings (D)
OL - Bears (B+), Vikings (B), Packers (C+), Lions (D)
DL - Bears (B), Vikings (B-), Lions (B-), Packers (C)
LB - Bears (A-), Vikings (B-), Packers (B-), Lions (C-)
DB - Bears (B+), Vikings (B-), Packers (B-), Lions (C)
ST - Chicago (A), Lions (B), Vikings (C), Packers (C-)

For what it's worth, the Sporting News has:

CBs - Packers (4th in NFC), Bears (6th), Vikings (7th), Lions (16th)
LBs - Bears (1st), Packers (6th), Vikings (8th), Lions (16th)
DEs - Packers (5th), Bears (6th), Vikings (14th), Lions (15th)
DTs - Vikings (1st), Bears (2nd), Lions (3rd), Packers (4th) -- a sweep by the division.

Other positions to follow.

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 12:36 PM

12-4 3%

11-5 3%

10-6 29%

9-7 35%

8-8 12%

7-9 16%

1. Go 8-8 Again 20.6%
2. Win 9-10 Games 25.2%
3. Make Playoffs 35.9%
5. Win Super Bowl 9.5%

There is going to be alot of very pissed off Packer fans after this season.

There will be intense pressure on Ted Thompson to step up his game or expect to be fired.

Bretsky
06-03-2007, 12:55 PM

12-4 3%

11-5 3%

10-6 29%

9-7 35%

8-8 12%

7-9 16%

1. Go 8-8 Again 20.6%
2. Win 9-10 Games 25.2%
3. Make Playoffs 35.9%
5. Win Super Bowl 9.5%

There will be intense pressure on Ted Thompson to step up his game or expect to be fired.

Packer Homerism makes fans pretty forgiving at times though

woodbuck27
06-03-2007, 01:04 PM

12-4 3%

11-5 3%

10-6 29%

9-7 35%

8-8 12%

7-9 16%

1. Go 8-8 Again 20.6%
2. Win 9-10 Games 25.2%
3. Make Playoffs 35.9%
5. Win Super Bowl 9.5%

Packer Homerism makes fans pretty forgiving at times though

Ted Thompson made alot of very positive statements about how we'll do in 2007nand he must be held accountable for results.

BallHawk
06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
How does 10% of the Packer Population think we're going to win the Super Bowl? I admit, I'm prone to my bouts of Kool-Aid chugging, but I'm not that delusional.