PDA

View Full Version : More examples of irresponsible reporting

gureski
05-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I just hate seeing things like this.

I saw this from the Packers site on ESPN. There is a section called "The Way We Hear It" from Pro Football Weekly and their piece dated 05/07/07 centered on the Packers running game taking a step back this year and the team not being happy with the pieces they have in place (post-draft) to handle the running game next year.

Here is a line from that little PFW blip...

"The fact that the team likely had its fourth-round sights set on RB Dwayne Wright before he was selected by Buffalo suggests even the Packers are not completely sold on their current mix. "

It's pathetic. Which is it? Is it a fact or is it likely? You can't say that it's a FACT that they LIKELY would've selected someone. It's either a FACT that they had their sights set on the guy or it isn't a fact. I think this is irresponsible reporting. If someone said they wanted the kid then report it as such. If they didn't say that and someone is just speculating, then say that. Don't portray it as FACT that they LIKELY had their sights set on a guy. They did or didn't and if you can't say for sure they DID then it's NOT a fact.

This stuff always riles me up. I hate this misinformation crap. It just gets people in a tizzy and spreads misconceptions. It's also cheap. If they have a tip that is legitimate then say so. If that tip is NOT legitimate then do NOT put it in your publication just to get attention. Have some integrity to what you're doing.

Cheesehead Craig
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Don't bother with it. Attacking the Packers run game is easy. The rest is conjecture on who they thought the Packers were going to take.

gureski
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
What is important is to see the sources of information that we as fans rely on for news, as credible or not credible. It's good to point crap like this out so others can start to look for it themselves.

rpiotr01
05-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I hear ya.

It's a strange sentiment considering they already had spent a 2nd rounder on Jackson, and as it turned out, later took Wynn in the 7th. It's not like they didn't take anyone at all.

I mean, shouldn't the real story be about Buffalo not being sure about their RB situation? They had just taken Lynch in the 1st round, and they took another RB relatively high in Wright. That seems strange to me...

woodbuck27
05-25-2007, 01:00 PM
This guy.

Dwayne Wright went to the Buffalo Bills at No. 111, just before we were due to pick in the 4th round. With the next selection, TT elected to trade down with Pittsburgh fr. 112 to 119 OT Allen Barbre and another 6th rounder (No. 192 or ILB Desmond Bishop).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/wright_dwayne

Dwayne Wright Height: 5-11 Weight: 226
Position: Running Back/Fullback College: Fresno State

OVERVIEW

Academics forced Wright to enroll at West Hills Junior College before embarking on a career at Fresno State. He moved into the starting lineup midway through his first year with the Bulldogs, leading the team in rushing in 2003.

He was well on his way to ranking with college's elite in 2004, but a torn patella tendon against Kansas State in the second game would not only force Wright to sit out the rest of that season, but also saw him miss all of 2005 while undergoing a grueling rehabilitation. Close to two years after he last touched a ball, Wright made a triumphant return to the field in ranking eighth in the nation in rushing in 2006.

Wright was regarded as one of the country's elite tailbacks during his career at Lincoln High School. He earned All-Conference, All-County and All-State recognition as a senior. In 2000, Wright was named the San Diego Union Tribune's Offensive Player of the Year.

He enrolled at West Hills Junior College, but did not play football in 2001. He appeared in eight games in 2002, earning All-Central Valley Conference honors while rushing for 1,068 yards and 11 touchdowns on 164 carries (6.5 avg), starting eight of nine games. He was named the Most Valuable Offensive Player on a team that earned a Silicon Valley Bowl berth against Foothills College.

Wright decided to enroll at Fresno State in 2003, choosing that school over Alabama and Washington State. He started eight of 14 games that year, leading the team with 190 attempts for 1,038 yards (5.5 avg) and three touchdowns. He caught 19 passes for 143 yards (7.5 avg) and one score. He averaged 84.4 all-purpose yards for the season and became the 12th player in school history to rush for more than 1,000 yards. He was awarded All-Western Athletic Conference honorable mention.

Wright was off to a blazing start in 2004. He rushed for 183 yards and two touchdowns on 50 carries (3.7 avg) in less than six quarters of action before tearing his left patella tendon against Kansas State. He sat out the final 10 games and also missed the complete 2005 schedule while recovering from that injury.

Having added more than 10 pounds of bulk to his frame during his rehabilitation, Wright returned to the field in 2006. He set school records as he rushed for 295 yards vs. Louisiana Tech and totaled 1,462 yards with 11 touchdowns on 261 attempts (5.6 avg), earning second-team All-Western Athletic Conference accolades. He also finished second on the team with 29 receptions for 221 yards (7.6 avg) and a score. He ranked 11th in the nation with an average of 140.3 all-purpose yards per game.

Wright closed out his career as the school's third-ranked rusher, carrying 501 times for 2,683 yards (5.4 avg) and 16 touchdowns in 28 games, including 22 starts at Fresno State. He also caught 51 passes for 429 yards (8.4 avg) and two scores, registering 108 points and 3,112 all-purpose yards as a Bulldog.

For his complete college career, Wright started 30 of 37 games. He picked up 3,751 yards with 27 touchdowns on 665 attempts (5.6 avg). He made 59 catches for 485 yards (8.2 avg) and a pair of scores. He amassed 4,236 all-purpose yards and scored 174 points.

ANALYSIS

Positives:

Has a very thick, muscled frame with broad shoulders, tight hips, good bubble, thick thighs and calves … Hard-nosed runner who lacks top end speed to separate from the defense, but has exceptional balance to keep his feet while generating the strength needed to break tackles … His strong upper body and legs let him gain valid yardage running between the tackles … Normal reps type who has adequate vision through the line and the ability to anticipate openings in the defense … Does a decent job of squaring up against the bigger defenders and has a "never quit" attitude running between the tackles … Has decent cutting agility and above average balance along with the leg drive to break tackles … Needs to build to top speed, but relies more on his strength, balance and body lean to gain valid yardage after initial contact … Very capable of anticipating gaps in the defense, as he has good vision running through holes and developed a good feel for the cutback lanes … Keeps his pad level low in order to recover after contact and push forward for extra yardage … Has above average power and leg strength to break tackles … Can bull over the defender and squares his shoulders upon contact … Has a good feel running up the crease and the body control to make lateral cuts … Best suited as an inside runner due to his power game and natural balance … Despite a lack of speed, he frequently slips through the line to break tackles for big gains up the middle (27 runs between 10-19 yards, 12 more for 20-plus yards in 2006) … Has marginal wiggle due to tight hips, but is effective at moving the pile due to his lower body strength … Has the lower body strength and balance to bounce off tackles and punish his opponents … Shows strength throughout his run to bound off the initial contact and generates a strong stiff-arm … Has dependable hands to extend and adjust for the throw at its high point … Keeps his balance when turning up field after the catch … Willing cut blocker who does a decent job of sitting in to protect the gaps.

Negatives:

Has room on his frame to add at least another 10 pounds of bulk for a potential move to fullback, but will have to trim down in order to improve his marginal speed if he plans on remaining at tailback … Runs with a normal stride, but his tight hips make him more of a downhill runner, as he has minimal acceleration and burst … Has quick feet out of his stance, but lacks moves to elude … Solid worker now, but did need structure and hard coaching to get through his injury rehabilitation … Questioned himself whether he would ever play again and still has not regained the burst and second gear he displayed in 2003 … Because of his lack of speed, Wright needs to line up tighter to the line to reach the holes in time and needs to improve his initial step … Can easily move the pile, but lacks the burst into the second level that is needed to gain ground in space … Lacks speed to win foot races in the open and has had ball security issues (keeps the ball too far extended from his body and exposed) … Lacks the burst to reach the edge. He looks quickly for the cutback lanes, but rarely runs outside of his tackles … More slippery than elusive, as he looks hesitant executing moves to elude tacklers in space … Doesn't have the quick feet needed to avoid and while he has some shake in his running style, he is more of a plodder than a space mover … Will put the ball on the ground, especially when caught from behind on perimeter runs.

Compares To: Mike Anderson, Baltimore … Wright is strictly a north-south runner who, like Anderson, is best used between the tackles. He is a physical pounder, but his lack of speed will limit his carries at the next level. He could bulk up for a possible switch to fullback, but if he hopes to remain a tailback he might have to drop some weight in order to improve his overall quickness. For a team looking for an Anderson, Brandon Jacobs (Giants) type, Wright could be a nice fit to get the tough yardage inside the red zone.

INJURY REPORT

2003: Suffered a left patella tendon tear in the Kansas State (Sept. 11) game, undergoing surgery that forced him to miss the rest of the year and the entire 2005 season.

AGILITY TESTS

4.78 in the 40-yard dash … 325-pound bench press … 418-pound squat … 308-pound power clean … 286-pound hang clean … 32 1/2-inch vertical jump … 8'10" broad jump … 30 5/8-inch arm length … 9 5/8-inch hands … Right-handed … 13/32 Wonderlic score.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Lincoln (San Diego) High School, playing football for head coach Tony Jackson … Earned All-Conference, All-County and All-State recognition as a senior … In 2000, Wright was named the San Diego Union Tribune's Offensive Player of the Year.

JUNIOR COLLEGE

Attended West Hills (San Diego) Junior College, playing football for head coach Mark Gritton in 2002 … Did not play football in 2001 … Appeared in eight games in 2002, earning All-Central Valley Conference honors while rushing for 1,068 yards and 11 touchdowns on 164 carries (6.5 avg), starting eight of nine games … Named the team's Most Valuable Offensive Player while leading the squad to a Silicon Valley Bowl berth against Foothills College.

PERSONAL

Communications major … Son of Gwen and Wil Washington … Married, wife's name is Jewelyn … The couple has a daughter, Jewelyn and a son, Demarion … Born June 2, 1983 … Resides in San Diego.

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Wright looks like a FB in our system, so I doubt any interest in him had anything to do with what the brass thinks of Morency or Jackson.

MTPackerfan
05-25-2007, 01:31 PM
curse those buffalo bills, first they take lynch then this, I think their goal in the draft was just to thart us.

gureski
05-25-2007, 03:21 PM
The real issue here involves PWF's statement that says the Packers FACTUALLY were LIKELY to pick this kid. In order for it to be a fact PWF would have to KNOW for sure, not just likely, know for sure that the Packers were going to take the kid. They obviously don't know that. Whatever their source, it was not confident enough to say they were going to take this kid. Therefore, PWF lists it as LIKELY. My problem is their use of the word FACTUAL. That's out of line in this report. It's not factual if they can't say for sure. Likely means they probably would have. Probably isn't the same as for sure.

Rastak
05-25-2007, 03:23 PM
The real issue here involves PWF's statement that says the Packers FACTUALLY were LIKELY to pick this kid. In order for it to be a fact PWF would have to KNOW for sure, not just likely, know for sure that the Packers were going to take the kid. They obviously don't know that. Whatever their source, it was not confident enough to say they were going to take this kid. Therefore, PWF lists it as LIKELY. My problem is their use of the word FACTUAL. That's out of line in this report. It's not factual if they can't say for sure. Likely means they probably would have. Probably isn't the same as for sure.

The thing was entiteled "The way we see it"......it's an opinion piece. Stated as fact "THE WAY THEY SEE IT", dude, you are getting WAY too worked up over an article.......

gureski
05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
This is the wording of the link on the Packers ESPN page that leads to the story:

The Way We Hear It
Get the inside scoop on the Packers and the rest of the NFL from Pro Football Weekly.

This is implying that the information you are reading is what they are getting from their sources. I'm not mischaracterizing their report. It was a crap report.

Rastak
05-25-2007, 04:16 PM
This is the wording of the link on the Packers ESPN page that leads to the story:

The Way We Hear It
Get the inside scoop on the Packers and the rest of the NFL from Pro Football Weekly.

This is implying that the information you are reading is what they are getting from their sources. I'm not mischaracterizing their report. It was a crap report.

No, it's what they heard. If what they heard was crap, fine. They printed what they heard. No reason to go balistic....

Lurker64
05-25-2007, 05:02 PM
I for one am glad we got Barbre.

PackerBlues
05-25-2007, 05:24 PM
I fully understand your point of view on this Gureski. It seems that you really cannot believe even half of what you read anymore. Most of the people writing these stories want it to look like they have the "inside scoop" on whats going on, when in fact, they are just speculating or outright lying to get their story printed.

The Shadow
05-25-2007, 05:35 PM
You must understand that Pro Football Weekly has always had an anti-Packer bias. The publisher, Hub Arkush, for many years was a complete shill/stooge for the Bears. For the longest time, Hub would offer hardhitting, true inside NFL stories such as "My Breakfast With Mike Singletary" and "Dan Hampton Loves Puppies".
Meanwhile, only the barest mention of anything Packer.
Don't worry about it.
(It was so sweet when the Bears pulled the plug on Hub's homer-broadcasting career!)

PackerBlues
05-25-2007, 05:42 PM
You must understand that Pro Football Weekly has always had an anti-Packer bias. The publisher, Hub Arkush, for many years was a complete shill/stooge for the Bears. For the longest time, Hub would offer hardhitting, true inside NFL stories such as "My Breakfast With Mike Singletary" and "Dan Hampton Loves Puppies".
Don't worry about it.
(It was so sweet when the Bears pulled the plug on Hub's homer-broadcasting career!)

I never paid much attention to who was writing what about who.......I guess there are fans and then there are Fans. You have my respect Shadow. Thanks for pointing that out.

the_idle_threat
05-25-2007, 06:47 PM
For the longest time, Hub would offer hardhitting, true inside NFL stories such as "My Breakfast With Mike Singletary" and "Dan Hampton Loves Puppies".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gureski---I agree with your point overall, but relax, man! It's a holiday weekend! Have a beer or something. :D

And---as is often the case---I agree with the Lurker. 8-)

Fritz
05-26-2007, 11:31 AM
By the logic of the passage under discussion, Ron Wolf was unhappy with Favre in 1998 when he drafted Matt Hasselback, Sherman was unhappy with Favre in 2002 when he drafted Craig Nall, and TT was unhappy with Favre in 2006 when he drafted Ingle Martin.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2007, 12:01 PM

The thing was entiteled "The way we see it"......it's an opinion piece. Stated as fact "THE WAY THEY SEE IT", dude, you are getting WAY too worked up over an article.......

I agree with gureski on this. If they're going to be a credible media outlet, they ought to hire a credible editor.

And that "The Way We See It" is nothing more than a blanket disclaimer so they can publish whatever crazy crap they dream up.

gureski
05-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Don't worry about it.

I know Arkush is biased towards Chicago but this is too much. The article implies fact while reporting speculation. I used to listen to Arkush back in the mid 90's when he was a frequent guest on WAUK 1510 AM so I can confirm that what you're saying is true. Arkush is a Bears schill, which makes him anti-Packers.

cpk1994
05-27-2007, 09:15 AM
By the logic of the passage under discussion, Ron Wolf was unhappy with Favre in 1998 when he drafted Matt Hasselback, Sherman was unhappy with Favre in 2002 when he drafted Craig Nall, and TT was unhappy with Favre in 2006 when he drafted Ingle Martin.

Well, Wolf must have really been unhappy with Favre because not only did he draft Hassselback, he drafted Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, and Aaron Brooks.

esoxx
05-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Well, Wolf must have really been unhappy with Favre because not only did he draft Hassselback, he drafted Ty Detmer, Mark Brunell, and Aaron Brooks.

You forgot the illustrious Jay Barker.

PackerBlues
05-27-2007, 11:33 AM

You forgot the illustrious Jay Barker.

That was back in the day, before they realized that Favre's real name was Kal-El, and that the only thing that could hurt him is kryptonite and Thompsons hatred of veteran free agents. :mrgreen: