PDA

View Full Version : Brady Poppinga

Fred's Slacks
05-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Brady is my pick for break out player this year. I have seen more than a couple people post that they thought he needed to be replaced, but I can't help but think the guy will be a much improved player this year for a few reasons:

-He's a high motor/high energy guy
-He's not elite athletically but he is not short on talent either.
-He showed good improvement throughout the year which tells me he works hard to get better.
-He has a good group around him that will make it easier for him to make plays.
-He now has had a full year to recover from his knee injury.
-He will have a full offseason of work before the season, unlike last year.

I see him just like Aaron Kampman when he was starting out. Everyone said he's a try hard guy who will never be more than a good back up. Everytime you thought he had maxed out on his potential he got even better. I hope Brady can be the same type of player.

Does anyone else see this similarity? I know there are some other Pop fans but I don't know if I am in the minority here.

MJZiggy
05-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I see what you're saying about him and hope it happens. My only thing with the comparison to Kampman is that they're the same age and wonder how long Popp has to improve before he gets old enough that his skills start to go the other way. How old is old for a linebacker?

RashanGary
05-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I see similarity. Kamp is a pretty damn good athlete, just like Popps. I agree that he is underrated among fans. I thought he was our most powerfull LB last year and has the most potential as a pass rusher of our LB group and I agree that he just kept getting better and ntohing about his game indicated his growth was over.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I see him just like Aaron Kampman when he was starting out.

You do know that Aaron is younger than Brady - right?

Brady will be 28 in September. He's no youngster.

RashanGary
05-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Poppinga hasn't had a lot of experienc as a LB so while his physical skills might be maxed out (except for his full knee recovery), his ability to play football has more room for growth than Kamps despite the age thing. Also, LB's can go at full strength untill around 32 / 33. DE's start going down hill at about 30.

packers11
05-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Poppinga hasn't had a lot of experienc as a LB so while his physical skills might be maxed out (except for his full knee recovery), his ability to play football has more room for growth than Kamps despite the age thing. Also, LB's can go at full strength untill around 32 / 33. DE's start going down hill at about 30.

don't tell Jason Taylor that :wink:

Fred's Slacks
05-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I see him just like Aaron Kampman when he was starting out.

You do know that Aaron is younger than Brady - right?

Brady will be 28 in September. He's no youngster.

I didn't know their ages exactly but I did know that Brady was quite old for a 3rd year player because of his Mormon mission. That's why I said "starting out" and not "younger". But that doesn't mean Brady still can't improve. He still has alot to learn about the linebacker position and he doesn't have as much mileage as other 27 year olds.

I should mention that I don't think Brady will ever be a Pro Bowl player like Kamp has developed into. I'm just saying that I think they are similar players in that they are both high motor, dedicated players who are underrated athletically and that we will hopefully see improvement in his game similar to the way we have seen imporvement in Kampmans despite his limits as an athlete. I am hopeful that more people will see that this season. If they do, we should have one of the best LB corps in the league.

Fritz
05-26-2007, 11:04 AM
I like Brady Poppinga, but unles he can figure out how to get faster so he can cover opposing tight ends, he will be limited in what he can do.

crosbiegrad
05-26-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree with you Fred's, while I'm kinda new to the whole football thing I sure like Poppinga's attitude and workrate alot. Brady's coverage was a HUGE issue at the beggining of the season and that became much less of an issue as he developed. I'll stick my neck on the line and say Brady will have a breakout year too, high motor, great attitude and the fact that he seems to want to kill the opposition all the time is a good combo for success at LB!

MJZiggy
05-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes, I agree. The desire to murder the opponent is a good trait for a football player (but an odd trait for a Mormon???)

PaCkFan_n_MD
05-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I like Brady Poppinga, but unles he can figure out how to get faster so he can cover opposing tight ends, he will be limited in what he can do.

This is my problem with him to. I like Popp, but he needs at least get to Barnett’s level when it comes to coverage for him to be considered a decent to solid starter.

rbaloha1
05-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Brady is a very physical linebacker lacking instincts. Too many times Brady was too aggressive which took him out of too many plays.

Brady best position could be as a rush end -- like KGB

Scott Campbell
05-26-2007, 11:50 AM
He's a distant 3rd in our starting LB trio. There's a lot of room for improvement there, whether it comes from him or someone else.

Bretsky
05-26-2007, 12:16 PM
love his intensity; perfect motor for special teams as well.

Great first post

One think I'm not convinced about is that Poppinga showed a ton of improvement last year. I agree he did improve.

But then the coaches hid his weaknesses and often brought him out when the pass was coming. They did what they could not hide him in passing downs.

I'm not convinced he's starter material. I was intrigued by Patrick Willis as our 3rd LB in the draft and even though LB was not a weakness either, I'd have been much happier with that 1st round pick

But I hope I'm wrong. And I hope Poppinga develops into a good all around starter. Out of all of our ifs, I think he has the best chance to show the most short term improvement though.

Fred's Slacks
05-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Out of all of our ifs, I think he has the best chance to show the most short term improvement though.

That's a great way of saying what I am feeling. I didn't think we needed to look to replace him this offseason. I think he is the smallest "if" this team has.

I must admit though, if Patrick Willis would have fallen to us on Draft Day, I too would have been all for taking him. Not because I think Poppinga needed to be replaced of course, I just think Willis is going to be a stud. SF is a team to look out for this year. I think they are a similar team to the Pack this year: A young team that could be on the verge of becoming a playoff contender.

Also, about the coverage thing, I think the fact that he showed improvement through out last year (how much is debateable) is a good sign. I have little doubt that he will continue to improve in that category. It certainly does help but you don't have to be fast to cover. Just ask Al Harris.

Bretsky
05-26-2007, 02:25 PM
The one thing to like about Poppinga is you absolutely know he'll work as hard as he can on his weaknesses. Last year I really could not stand him as a starter but you're getting me to sip the Koool Aide on him a bit.

I'm more optomistic about his progress than I am about Manuel, Spitz, Franks, and a solid #3 WR developing this year.

mmmdk
05-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Brady is my pick for break out player this year. I have seen more than a couple people post that they thought he needed to be replaced, but I can't help but think the guy will be a much improved player this year for a few reasons:

-He's a high motor/high energy guy
-He's not elite athletically but he is not short on talent either.
-He showed good improvement throughout the year which tells me he works hard to get better.
-He has a good group around him that will make it easier for him to make plays.
-He now has had a full year to recover from his knee injury.
-He will have a full offseason of work before the season, unlike last year.

I see him just like Aaron Kampman when he was starting out. Everyone said he's a try hard guy who will never be more than a good back up. Everytime you thought he had maxed out on his potential he got even better. I hope Brady can be the same type of player.

Does anyone else see this similarity? I know there are some other Pop fans but I don't know if I am in the minority here.

I'm a bit of a Popps fan - so I'm all for it. It's pure speculation though but not without merit.

As Popps go, so goes the Packers...or something :mrgreen:

Willard
05-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Yes, I agree. The desire to murder the opponent is a good trait for a football player (but an odd trait for a Mormon???)

Actually, religion and violence have always gone together.

ND72
05-26-2007, 11:08 PM
My only issue with this entire thread, is the fact that Poopinga is not an outstanding athlete. he is nowhere the athlete Kampman is. He has a lot of flaws, and teams tended to exploit them a lot, throughout the season. yes he made improvements, but he was still being picked on throughout the season. I hope he does better, but until then, he still remains POOPinga.

Packnut
05-26-2007, 11:13 PM
My only issue with this entire thread, is the fact that Poopinga is not an outstanding athlete. he is nowhere the athlete Kampman is. He has a lot of flaws, and teams tended to exploit them a lot, throughout the season. yes he made improvements, but he was still being picked on throughout the season. I hope he does better, but until then, he still remains POOPinga.

Well stated.

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm in the middle on him. He's not as athletic as some think (he's not in Hawk or Barnett's class), but others seem to think he's unathletic. He moves well for a bigger LB. I also saw improvement from him last year. I also think being a year away from an injury that he came back early from will help. He came back quick from his injury because of his work ethic. He should be better this year. My prediction is that he won't be a weakness, but he also won't be in the Hawk/Barnett class of LB.

Guiness
05-26-2007, 11:50 PM

See, I always remember it being said that Kampman wasn't an athletic guy, low ceiling, etc. Somewhere along the line, that all changed...

Scott Campbell
05-27-2007, 07:19 AM

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_mass.htm

MJZiggy
05-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Point taken, Scott.

mmmdk
05-27-2007, 10:18 AM

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_mass.htm

Humans are violent; history tells us so. Humanity created religion which is logical as religion gives answers where there are none. Personally I don't need to know what happens when I die; I concentrate on the living things...and Packers being winners for all eternity... 8-)

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Personally I don't need to know what happens when I die; I concentrate on the living things...and Packers being winners for all eternity...

Personally, I'm the opposite. Part of my spirituality is knowing that there is a better place after this life--if I live my life accordingly. That allows me to concentrate on the living things. I think otherwise I'd spend my time wondering why I am here and what's it all mean.

From what I here, you are not alone in Europe. It's a continent that seems to have lost its spirituality.

Rastak
05-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Personally I don't need to know what happens when I die; I concentrate on the living things...and Packers being winners for all eternity...

Personally, I'm the opposite. Part of my spirituality is knowing that there is a better place after this life--if I live my life accordingly. That allows me to concentrate on the living things. I think otherwise I'd spend my time wondering why I am here and what's it all mean.

From what I here, you are not alone in Europe. It's a continent that seems to have lost its spirituality.

I'm not an athiest or even agnostic but I love the line from a Peter Tosh tune.....

"Everybody want to go to heaven, no one want to die"

crosbiegrad
05-27-2007, 02:36 PM
yep , religion in europe is dying out. Funny how we got from Brady Poppinga's improvement to the mountain meadows massacre!!!! So yeah, go Popps!

Fritz
05-28-2007, 08:36 AM
I see a direct link between Brady Poppinga's play this year and spirituality in Europe.

HarveyWallbangers
05-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I see a direct link between Brady Poppinga's play this year and spirituality in Europe.

My question:
Less spirituality in Europe == the better Poppinga plays?

Joemailman
05-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Brady's nickname of Popp is very close to the title of Pope. Brady was drafted by the Packers just days after Pope Benedict began his pontificate. Just as Catholics are in a period of adjusting to a new Pope, perhaps Packer fans need to be patient before judging Popp. For us Catholic Packer fans, this is a very exciting and suspenseful period.