PDA

View Full Version : For those of you from Oregon...

falco
05-27-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm traveling through your state this week. I was trying to pump gas tonight and the attendant nearly wrestled the nozzle out of my hands. Apparently its against the law to pump your own gas here???

I admit, its sort of a nice luxury not to have to get out of the car, but I also waited 2 minutes for the guy to come back from another pump. For people in a hurry this has to be a huge pain in the ass.

He did clean my windows as well. Is it customary to tip the attendants here?

oregonpackfan
05-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Falco,

Oregon is one of the few states that officially does not allow you to pump your own gas. Supposedly, this is done to promote the safety of the customer.

To that argument, I say "Baloney!" As you know, most states allow self-service. I don't believe they have more dispensing accidents than states where it is attendant serve.

You actually got an attendant to wash your windows! Where in Oregon was that?

I believe the MAIN reason Oregon mandates attendant-serve gas is to keep the official state unemployment rate down. It provides a lot of jobs--mostly at minimum wage.

falco
05-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Falco,

Oregon is one of the few states that officially does not allow you to pump your own gas. Supposedly, this is done to promote the safety of the customer.

To that argument, I say "Baloney!" As you know, most states allow self-service. I don't believe they have more dispensing accidents than states where it is attendant serve.

I believe the MAIN reason Oregon mandates attendant-serve gas is to keep the official state unemployment rate down. It provides a lot of jobs--mostly at minimum wage.

I found the whole thing creepy, to be honest, but I imagine its something you get used to.

The window washing was done at a chevron in Roseburg, right off the freeway. The guy probably put 3 minutes into it, even going extra over rough spots. I swear he was looking for a tip, but after spending $40 to fill a 11 gallon tank I had nothing more to give.

Other than that, I love the state so far. We're looking at Oregon as a potential new home in the future, as well as Washington & California, so I'm just taking a look around.

packinpatland
05-27-2007, 09:54 AM
New Jersey is also one of those states.
I couldn't have been more surprised the first time I drove my daughter down to school.
Got to like it after awhile tho, and it was cheaper!

oregonpackfan
05-27-2007, 10:19 AM
[quote=oregonpackfan]Falco,

I found the whole thing creepy, to be honest, but I imagine its something you get used to.

The window washing was done at a chevron in Roseburg, right off the freeway.

Oh!,

I suspected the windown washing was done at a station off a major freeway. Perhaps the guy wanted to impress the out-of-state drivers and WAS looking for a tip.

I can't remember the last time any attendant washed my windows here in Oregon.

retailguy
05-28-2007, 07:37 AM

No. It was a state reaction to a forest fire started by a motorist pumping gas years ago.

Now, most residents like it, and won't support the law being changed.

Scott Campbell
05-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I half expect Oregon to pass a law forbidding owners to wash their own cars because of it's impact on storm drains.