PDA

View Full Version : Offseason update: Green Bay Packers - NFL.COM

woodbuck27
05-28-2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10197252

Offseason update: Green Bay Packers

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(May 25, 2007) -- This is what I like about the Green Bay Packers' offseason moves: General manager Ted Thompson is remaining true to his philosophy of building through the draft. He should. The Packers have gotten solid contributions from the young players Thompson already has added. They are likely to get more from this year's draft choices.

Justin Harrell was a surprise choice, but he figures to help.

Although it didn't address a crying need, the selection of former Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell in the first round fortified the strength of a defense that showed dramatic improvement during the course of last season.

The Packers have all 11 defensive starters at the end of last year returning. The 6-foot-4-plus, 314-pound Harrell will provide a large, powerful force for the middle of the defense. He should see significant playing time as a rookie, rotating with Corey Williams.

The Packers drew heavy criticism for using the 16th overall pick of the draft on a defensive lineman rather than a running back, which was where they needed the most help after the free-agent departure of Ahman Green. However, the two best backs in the draft (Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch ) were gone by then.

No problem. The Packers still managed to find a quality replacement for Green in the second round, where they selected former Nebraska standout Brandon Jackson. Jackson is a big (5-9-plus, 206 pounds), strong runner who also has exceptional athleticism, balance and instincts. If he doesn't start right away, he will at least do quite a bit of alternating with Vernand Morency.

Free-agent cornerback Frank Walker, formerly of the New York Giants, should compete with Will Blackmon for the nickel back spot. Given that the Packers have two aging starters -- Al Harris and Charles Woodson -- Walker or Blackman could end up with an even greater role.

The rest of Green Bay's draft generated some outstanding athletes who figure to contribute as reserves and who eventually could find their way into starting spots.

Third-rounder Aaron Rouse will be in the mix to challenge starting strong safety Marquand Manuel. Third-year veteran Marviel Underwood has the edge based on experience, provided he is able to return from a knee injury that sidelined him for all of last season. But Rouse shows enough intelligence and savvy to be a factor.

This is what concerns me: Brett Favre sounding off in public about the Packers' failure to acquire former Oakland Raiders receiver Randy Moss, who wound up joining the New England Patriots. That promptly sparked reports that Favre had demanded a trade. Favre later denied that was the case, but the episode has created lingering doubts about the quarterback's enthusiasm to be part of a team that continues to follow the younger-is-better philosophy in acquiring talent.

Once Favre made the decision to return for a 16th season, he needed to be fully aboard with Thompson's program. As a living legend and the Packers' only choice to start at quarterback, Favre certainly might feel entitled to throw his weight around on player-personnel matters. But he should have kept his disappointment over the Moss situation to himself and moved on with the intention of getting the most out of his surrounding cast.

The fact is, the Packers started showing progress last year and there is a very good chance they'll show more this season. Will it be enough for a playoff spot? Given the NFL's competitive balance, anything's possible.

The bottom line is that the many young players on the team need Favre to be a positive leader, and his attitude will go a long way toward helping -- or hurting -- this team's ability to overcome the challenges presented by the roster's youth.

Comment woodbuck27:

The last concern I have is Favre's attitude harming our team.

The Shadow
05-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

The last concern I have is Favre's attitude harming our team.

I think it is at least somewhat of a concern.

FritzDontBlitz
05-28-2007, 02:27 PM
my main concern about tt's draft philosophy is the team not showing improvement until the second half of the season due to having so many young players on the roster. hopefully the pack will go .500 or better through the first 8 games while the rookies are learning on the fly....

Brandon494
05-28-2007, 03:35 PM
my main concern about tt's draft philosophy is the team not showing improvement until the second half of the season due to having so many young players on the roster. hopefully the pack will go .500 or better through the first 8 games while the rookies are learning on the fly....

Yea, we had the youngest team in the league so we should def. show improvement. Also you have to remember we had a completely new coaching staff and we were also learning a new blocking scheme. When you factor all that together being 8-8 was pretty damn good.

b bulldog
05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
I love the youth movement and watching their progress will be fun.

LL2
05-29-2007, 09:25 PM
I have always believed in a defense first philospohy and believ thats where a championship team starts. I think Brandon Jackson and Rouse will be surprise contributors this year. McKenzie was a 3rd rd pick and he played well and contributed his rookie year. Hopefully McKenzie's attitude and influence has been scrubbed clean and sterilized from every area of Lambeau Field.

packinpatland
05-29-2007, 09:39 PM
LL2, just curious. Your avatar. Did this poor girl have ribs removed?

wist43
05-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Favre's attitude one way or the other doesn't mean anything... he's not a part of their future plans.

I'm sure Thompson would love to be rid of Favre, but he's stuck with him... it's an uncomfortable marriage.

oregonpackfan
05-30-2007, 09:54 AM

I can't help but thinking it is just a brunette version of a plastic Barbie Doll.

I have read in several places that if a woman in real life had the physical dimensions of a Barbie Doll she would have trouble keeping her balance. Barbie was very top heavy.

LL2
05-30-2007, 01:21 PM

I can't help but thinking it is just a brunette version of a plastic Barbie Doll.

I have read in several places that if a woman in real life had the physical dimensions of a Barbie Doll she would have trouble keeping her balance. Barbie was very top heavy.

Not sure if she had her ribs removed, but she is a top heavy playboy bunny having problems keeping her top up and exposing herself. I wish she would, got to like a top heavy woman!

woodbuck27
05-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Favre's attitude one way or the other doesn't mean anything... he's not a part of their future plans.

I'm sure Thompson would love to be rid of Favre, but he's stuck with him... it's an uncomfortable marriage.

It very well may be an uncomfortable marriage because of differing agendas.

Favre wants to win now. :!: :arrow:

TT says he wants to win now.

TT's actions certainly seem to indicate that he doesn't want to win now.

TT is all about using the draft to build the talent base by acquiring what he deems football players that can be developed under a solid coaching philosophy.

** Building via the draft would be easier if TT can pick top ten in round one.

Having Favre as his QB means (** that) is not as realistic because his talent equals wins, no matter who Mike McCarthy throws out on the field with Brett Favre.

As we are now assessing the situation we are seeing that 'in fact', it's not in TT's best interests to not have Favre as his QB.

To even imagine that Aaron Rodgers is ready cannot be supported. TT knows that Aaron Rodgers isn't ready and that he may never get there.

So the only way that TT can have a win-win is to attain Favre and ensure that his availability of weapons is small. We come out of it with 5-7 wins and TT gets his shot at that top ten pick.

The reality of it all is that for the next five years we just sputter as a team.We never get up and really running.

Why??

We are as solid at the QB position as we'll likely be for those five seasons. A solid QB and few weapons will emerge to a weaker QB and possibly weapons that can't compliment that QB's weaker talent.

With the Favre Vs Ted Thompson ego challenge the real loser is the Packer fan.

With the Favre way, our glass is at least three quarters full; the best TT offers us is a glass half full for at least the next five seasons.

Then Ted Thompson will be gone and a new GM and philosopy will emerge.

That Packer fans. . . is realistic analysis of any Favre Vs Ted Thompson ego clash.

It's all so very sad. :(

wist43
05-31-2007, 09:44 AM
We're already in year 3 of the TT's tenure, and while Favre gives them a chance to win a pathetic division, in a pathetic conference, I don't think even the drunkest Kool-Aid drinker thinks they're real contenders.

So Favre retires, then it's year 4 of TT's tenure and year 1 of Aaron Rodgers at the helm. Assume a best case scenario of Rodgers proving he can't play within 2 years - that puts you into year 7 of TT's tenure, still with no realitic chance at making a run at a SB.

At that point, TT's next QB candidate will step in and be given every opportunity to fail... that puts you into year 8-9 of TT's tenure.