PDA

View Full Version : Wasted Money

Packnut
05-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok, I'm not getting this. We can't spend money on FA's but Jones gets paid for sitting on his ass at home? WTF is going on up there? This is getting to be total BS. Harlan now gets credit for changing a decision he made? Jones was his guy for goodness sake. He made the mistake and now no one up there has the balls to just come out and fire Jones?

We all know this decision is'nt gonna be reversed so why pay this guy for doing nothing. It's called cutting your losses! This whole thing is getting down-right embarrassing.

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2007, 10:42 PM
This isn't too hard to figure out. Jones has a contract. If they fire him, they'll end up having to pay him. Just like they did with Sherman. I'm sure they are working on some type of settlement package.

What do you mean by "we can't spend money on FA's?"

Bretsky
05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
ya, we dropped some change on downtown Frankie Walker this year :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Whether FAs were signed or not is irrelevant. How much money did the Packers have left last year? Right now, they have $14M, but need about $5M to sign draft picks. That leaves $9M for the rest of the offseason. They made a play at some FAs, but weren't successful. They resigned Jenkins to a nice contract and signed Barnett to a nice extension. Any money leftover could conceivably go to more extensions--like those two this year and Kampman the year before.

I was disappointed that a couple more FAs weren't signed, but I don't see it as Thompson never signing FAs (Woodson, Pickett, Manuel) or not trying to sign FAs (Vinatieri, Arrington, Keyshawn, trade for Moss). Thompson is just more selective than some of the fans.

:beat:

Bretsky
05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Whether FAs were signed or not is irrelevant. How much money did the Packers have left last year? Right now, they have $14M, but need about $5M to sign draft picks. That leaves $9M for the rest of the offseason. They made a play at some FAs, but weren't successful. They resigned Jenkins to a nice contract and signed Barnett to a nice extension. Any money leftover could conceivably go to more extensions--like those two this year and Kampman the year before.

I was disappointed that a couple more FAs weren't signed, but I don't see it as Thompson never signing FAs (Woodson, Pickett, Manuel) or not trying to sign FAs (Vinatieri, Arrington, Keyshawn, trade for Moss). Thompson is just more selective than some of the fans.

:beat:

never said he didn't sign FA's

he just sat in his shell this year up to now

And yes, ya can always frontload more deals :beat: God knows we'll be set up cap wise for the future then too :lol:

Scott Campbell
05-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Ted is cheap.

pittstang5
05-30-2007, 02:07 PM
as Harv said - 9 mil leftover after the rookies. Obviously the FA market is dried up, so who currently does the Pack have that should be resigned or extented?

My vote:

Corey Williams - he's young and came on strong last year. It shouldn't cost alot, they have the money, do it now.

rpiotr01
05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Corey Williams - he's young and came on strong last year. It shouldn't cost alot, they have the money, do it now.

But where/ when do you play him? Pickett, Harrell, Jenkins, Cole, possibly Jolly. Those first three either are, or will be locked up into a good amount of money.

I wonder at this point if Williams is more valuable as trade bait? He could start on many teams and perform well. He's young. We just happen to be deep at his position, and while yes, he's a good player, you need to give up good players to get good players in return. I don't know for whom he'd be traded, or if that's likely or even possible given his contract status, it's just a thought.

As for TT, I still think it's early to say what his MO is. As far as I can see he places a lot of importance on the draft, and with regards to FA - if he sees somebody he likes, he goes after them. 2005 was a small FA year with him. 2006 we had a large FA haul with Woodson, Pickett and Manuel, and as mentioned earlier, could have been much larger since we were known to be bidding on Vinitieri and Arrington. This year was another quiet year. So who's really to say what'll happen next off-season?

Personally I thought this year's FA crop was lousy, definitely below average. People made a big deal about Thomas and Clements, but I don't think either of them were in the same league as Hutchinson or even Julian Peterson. Honestly, even Clements talent wise isn't as good as Woodson. Vinitieri is a future HOF. Sean Alexander and Edgerrin James were FAs in 2006. That was a very good FA class IMO. This year, meh. Justin Griffith would have been nice to close the deal on, but there's no guarantee he's better than Miree. I don't blame him for not jumping in. I think it's going to be a year-by-year thing with TT.

HarveyWallbangers
05-30-2007, 02:31 PM
But where/ when do you play him? Pickett, Harrell, Jenkins, Cole, possibly Jolly. Those first three either are, or will be locked up into a good amount of money.

Jenkins plays DE now. Cole is just a body. We have no idea how good Jolly will be. He could suck. Most teams need 3 good DT now.

Patler
05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
as Harv said - 9 mil leftover after the rookies. Obviously the FA market is dried up, so who currently does the Pack have that should be resigned or extented?

My vote:

There are a few other probable starters (Morency, Miree and Rayner) who have contracts that expire after this season. Any of them could perform well-enough this year to merit renewal before the end of the season.

Possible early renewals for other starters having contracts ending in 2008:
Tauscher
Poppinga
Underwood (maybe a starter)
Ryan

Patler
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Jenkins plays DE now. Cole is just a body. We have no idea how good Jolly will be. He could suck. Most teams need 3 good DT now.

Not only that, Williams has also played DE earlier in his career with Green Bay. If Jenkins were to get hurt, Williams might be the best bet to replace him on early downs. The other DEs are mostly pass-rush types. Some thought last year that Williams would replace KGB. Jenkins was kind of a surprise.

cheesner
05-30-2007, 02:40 PM

My vote:

I would go with Nick Collins, Scott Wells, and then Corey. I know the first two have a year or two left on their rookie contracts, but if they continue to improve this year, lock them up for continuities sake, especially Wells on that OL.

rpiotr01
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Harvey and Patler, all good points. I guess my only point is that if it's obvious that our team has a glaring hole in it somewhere and the opportunity arises to trade for someone to plug that hole, Williams IMO is a good candidate. Ideally we'd be able to keep him, but the general depth on the line I think makes it so that it's not devastating to lose him. I'm certainly not against keeping him around, and we have the room for it :)

Very good point about Tausch Patler, no one really thinks of him when it comes to extending him, but he should be at the top of our list for the next year or so.

Cheesner, I believe Wells was extended last year.

The Leaper
05-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Very good point about Tausch Patler, no one really thinks of him when it comes to extending him, but he should be at the top of our list for the next year or so.

I think Tauscher still has something to prove in terms of how healthy he will be moving forward and how solid he can be in the ZBS. It is unlikely that he will be signed to a new deal during this current cap year IMO...unless he plays extremely well.

There just won't be many extentions happening this year. I think the one strong candidate is Morency if he plays well in a starting role. Wells is another good choice. Most of the others guys aren't likely to take a big enough step forward to merit a sizeable contract extention...and even if they did, they may very well gamble on trying to have another good year on top of it to hit the jackpot in free agency.

Patler
05-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Wells' contract was extended last season. He is signed through 2011.

pittstang5
05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Wells just received a contract extension to 2011 (I think), why would they need to extend him again.

I thought about Morency, but I'm guessing TT waits at least half way through this year to see how he does.

I like the idea of extending Tausch. He's been rock solid, except the injury last year. I think he's got quite a few more years left. Clifton, well, I'm thinking Barbre may be his replacement in a year or two.

Patler
05-30-2007, 03:31 PM
If I remember correctly, before he was injured the coaches mentioned Tauscher as adapting very well to zone blocking. I believe Philbin or Jagodzinski said he was making the fewest mistakes of any of the linemen. Shortly after that was when he was hurt.

Tauscher hasn't been injured much. The knee a few years back, and then the hamstring or whatever it was last year. He hasn't had any chronic problems that I have heard about. He came back to play at the end of last season, so I'm not too worried about him physically. Clifton on the other hand, while he has managed to continue playing, has often been dinged up and has been held out of practices during the week off and on almost every year since the Sapp hit. I'm more concerned about his long-term health than I am about Tauscher's.

pittstang5
05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Clifton on the other hand, while he has managed to continue playing, has often been dinged up and has been held out of practices during the week off and on almost every year since the Sapp hit. I'm more concerned about his long-term health than I am about Tauscher's.

Agree! I don't know for sure, but doesn't it seem Clifton is always having something done to his knees, whether it's surgery, scope, whatever during the off-season. That can't be good and time is not on his side. However, he's been one tough SOB.

Patler
05-30-2007, 03:36 PM
I don't really expect any of the veterans to have a new contract before the season starts. Not even Williams, although it is a possibility.

But any of the guys who end up starting could be in line for new deals during the season, depending on how well they perform. Just like Wells last season.

packinpatland
05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
As far as Jones goes, they are working on a severence package.
How 'hirable' is a guy after this happens?

Green Bud Packer
05-30-2007, 08:59 PM
When I read the title I thought this topic was about kgb.

cheesner
05-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Wells' contract was extended last season. He is signed through 2011.
Then sign him through 2020!

Okay, my bad. I forgot.